Author Topic: minor inconveniences that are not struggles  (Read 894460 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: minor inconviences that are not struggles
« Reply #4440 on: October 24, 2017, 02:00:14 AM »
I’ve really never understood what’s so bad about just using safari on iOS :yeshrug
Absolutely nothing wrong with it. And it keeps your history, searches, etc. in sync with your Mac, as well as using Hand Off to continue reading whatever's open in your browser. That's pretty convenient.

Tasty

« Reply #4441 on: October 24, 2017, 02:27:29 AM »
As a web guy, Safari could suck a dick... until the last 1-2 versions where they're actually implementing standards other browsers have had for years.

It being tied to OS releases is still an insanely idiotic decision, though, and not being able to run alternate browser engines on iOS is some real anticompetitive BS.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4442 on: October 24, 2017, 04:37:44 AM »
As a web guy, Safari could suck a dick... until the last 1-2 versions where they're actually implementing standards other browsers have had for years.

It being tied to OS releases is still an insanely idiotic decision, though, and not being able to run alternate browser engines on iOS is some real anticompetitive BS.

I'm highly suspicious of how shitty Chrome runs on OSX/macOS now. I've got a peppy 2-year old machine, but Chrome runs like a octogenarian with a full load in his Depends.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #4443 on: October 24, 2017, 05:17:29 AM »
Fucked up my sleep schedule to follow forum drama. :stahp

This is happening again :stahp
I'm in full on zombie mode. I have today to recover, but given my poor impulse control...

Corporal

« Reply #4444 on: October 24, 2017, 07:39:32 AM »
Minor inconveniences...
Bazooka vomiting, open heart surgery, ios11.

Geez, you guys are hardcore.

A minor inconvenience for me is that I'm all out of Sriracha hot sauce and am too lazy to go get a new bottle. A ten minute walk, at worst.
!list

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #4445 on: October 24, 2017, 07:41:49 AM »
I want to shave but have a big zit in near my chin.

Holy shit! Dude, how did you make out during the hurricanes?

Thank Bowie they didn't hit my city directly, the north of the island was hit pretty hard though there was also some damage in the east, my sister' bf has a restaurant in punta cana and a tree crashed through its roof.

Puerto Rico got most of the damage, luckily they are part of the most powerful country in the world so they should be ok.
Drunk

sinxtanx

« Reply #4446 on: October 24, 2017, 07:45:03 AM »
Windows 10 deleted some device drivers I had installed

no biggie it's just for stuff I use for WORK

Jerry

« Reply #4447 on: October 24, 2017, 09:14:49 AM »
Being unable to use an apple mouse while its charging
COYS

Tasty

« Reply #4448 on: October 24, 2017, 10:56:16 AM »

I'm highly suspicious of how shitty Chrome runs on OSX/macOS now. I've got a peppy 2-year old machine, but Chrome runs like a octogenarian with a full load in his Depends.

What kinda sites you goin' to babe? ;)

studyguy

« Reply #4449 on: October 24, 2017, 11:03:04 AM »
It's gonna be 90+ in late Oct again.
 :maf

Luckily tomorrow cools down but there's hot gusts of wind blowing through town till late today so it feels like your life is slowly getting dried out.
pause

« Reply #4450 on: October 24, 2017, 01:13:20 PM »
The company I work for has blocked a bunch of sites that feel necessary for being a productive member / unproductive employee.
Anything hosted by imgur or twitter or youtube that gets posted here just shows up blank for me.  Facebook and Reddit are both blocked as well.

It's my 17th year working here, and for the first 15 of those I had free reign to go wherever on the internet at work.  Even when sites were blocked for everybody else, the IT/Management excepted me from that.  That was up until 2 years ago when some new management came in and decided I wasn't special anymore. :'(

Using thebore on mobile is pretty tough.  Trying to embed a picture or edit a post through a phone is torture.

Guess this all is a minor struggle, but it's been tough to keep up on the whole neogaf/evilore mess when I can't see most of the images posted in the account suicide threads.

At least I can see the smileys
 :tauntaun

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4451 on: October 24, 2017, 02:14:30 PM »
finally caught up with twin peaks season 2 but the revival came and went so i couldn't partake in the bore discussion

:beli

Here's a recap:

:goty2 :esports :neogaf :supergay :supergay :tauntaun :fbm :patel :patel :kobeyuck :holeup :badass :beli :comeon :dead :dead :whew :noah :trash :trash :umad :ohhh :sabu :whoo :whoo :rejoice :snoop :shaq :drudge :miyamoto :drudge :borys :bluesteel :gaben :expert :picard :win :bolo :noooo :drake :huh :lucas :quark :itagaki :donot :donot :delicious :dunno :ohyou :success :success :like :dislike :like :cmonson :kinison :dice :beavis :journo :salute :crowdlaff :jeanluc :hhh :bobby :thinking

:mjcry
©@©™

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #4452 on: October 24, 2017, 02:31:33 PM »
Spoilers, Joe!!
©ZH

Tasty

« Reply #4453 on: October 24, 2017, 04:41:22 PM »
just saw the first ep...

HOLY FUCKING MOTHERFUCKING GODDAMNED SHIT that was fucking terrifying holy jesus

i liked twin peaks because of the relaxing small town setting... i'm not sure about dis...

but now i have to finish watching i guess... finish what you start, brehs

I really hope you stick with it and don't become another "this sucks cause it isn't like the old show" type fan. IMO The Return is better than the OG series, though they're apples and oranges.

« Reply #4454 on: October 24, 2017, 05:03:48 PM »
Sounds like someone is about to get lynched. Wish I had found this place months ago so I could join the discussion too, though

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #4455 on: October 25, 2017, 06:31:06 AM »
Lying in boxers on my bed and getting hungry... Need to get dressed and go by some chicken salad.  :maf

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #4456 on: October 25, 2017, 05:41:10 PM »
SO I shared this with Chrono, but I had completely unexpected open heart surgery about 3 1/2 weeks ago. I went into urgent care thinking I had inhaled a lot of wildfire smoke on a long run, but ended getting admitted to the ER with mitral valve regurgitation. One of my hearts valve’s busted and my lung was filling with blood. No pain or anything, just felt like I had a bad cold. Spent a week in the hospital before coming home where I can’t drive, can’t lift more than ten pounds, etc. until November 8th. Aside from that my heart is super healthy, but gonna have to do cardiac rehab and relearn how to run. No marathons for me for a while. Crazy.

Wow. Glad you're doing better man.

spoiler (click to show/hide)

Harry Potter
[close]

studyguy

« Reply #4457 on: October 26, 2017, 12:57:30 AM »
I ran out of fruity pebbles.  :goty2
All I have left are Wheaties
pause

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4458 on: October 26, 2017, 02:07:03 AM »

What kinda sites you goin' to babe? ;)
I used to use it all the time for everything. Now I just use it when roleplaying online.

Roll20.com for remote "tabletop" RPG fun.
hangouts.google.com for video chat while RPGing.
imgur for browsing doggo pics while DM self-fellates over rules interpretations

That's it. Four or five tabs open, though they're memory intensive. Quit out of everything else prior to opening chrome, so no other apps running except a text editor.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4459 on: October 26, 2017, 02:09:23 AM »
just saw the first ep...

HOLY FUCKING MOTHERFUCKING GODDAMNED SHIT that was fucking terrifying holy jesus

i liked twin peaks because of the relaxing small town setting... i'm not sure about dis...

but now i have to finish watching i guess... finish what you start, brehs

Twin Peaks has always run the gamut between charming and terrifying.

H.I.V.E.

« Reply #4460 on: October 26, 2017, 02:10:17 AM »
Rinsing and washing my onaholes.

Tasty

« Reply #4461 on: October 26, 2017, 02:22:11 AM »
hangouts.google.com for video chat while RPGing.

[insert South Park "you're gonna have a bad time" meme with the caption "if you're tryin' to livestream using Google Hangouts on desktop... you're gonna have a bad time"]

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #4462 on: October 26, 2017, 09:47:02 AM »
I ran out of fruity pebbles.  :goty2
All I have left are Wheaties

:brazilcry
I would end up going hungry.
©ZH

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #4463 on: October 26, 2017, 12:00:49 PM »
Why would you have Wheaties in your house when Kashi exists?

studyguy

« Reply #4464 on: October 26, 2017, 12:23:07 PM »
Why would you have Wheaties in your house when Kashi exists?
Do I look like a fucking hippie?
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also they don't have Kashi at the fucking Mexican market I hit up my dude :doge
If it doesn't inflict diabetes, they don't got it.
[close]
pause

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #4465 on: October 26, 2017, 05:02:08 PM »
Julian Bream and John Williams, two of the greatest guitarists of all time came together and recorded...one of the most boring albums of classical guitar music I can think of.

Also, I clicked on the wrong page of a thread thinking it was the most recent page, and saw posts for Kara and Creepy Stalker. I got all excited until I realized the posts were old :brazilcry
que

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4466 on: October 26, 2017, 08:54:40 PM »
man i really need to get photoshop

using the GIMP is killing me

i don't need it often, but when I do... god help me :shaq2

If you're on Mac, take a look at Pixelmator. It does everything that Photoshop 6 did, and is completely native to macOS features. Even Adobe's stuff at $75/mo for the suite looks at standard OS-level conceits and thumbs its nose at them.

There are other non-subscribe photoshop options on Windows. Don't know what to say if you're on GNU/Linux.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #4467 on: October 27, 2017, 01:17:31 AM »
$75 per month? Jesus fucking christ.

agrajag

« Reply #4468 on: October 27, 2017, 01:19:12 AM »
I infected the nail on my left hand index finger (I am right-handed), and now it looks like it's going to fall off. This is a minor inconvenience that could potentially become a major one.

Tasty

« Reply #4469 on: October 27, 2017, 02:46:53 AM »
Every person ever at my company, when they say they're leaving, gets a counter offer matching their new salary.

I've worked here for five years and two months.

I didn't get a counter offer.

No one higher up than me has spoken to me since I put my two weeks in.

Fuck my life. I'm fucking worthless.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #4470 on: October 27, 2017, 02:57:32 AM »
Did you mention your NeoGAF.com and The Bore history?

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #4471 on: October 27, 2017, 02:59:53 AM »
Every person ever at my company, when they say they're leaving, gets a counter offer matching their new salary.

To be fair: When you do that you gotta be sure you want to quit. You're playing with fire when you threaten to go somewhere else.

Edit: And at least you're actually quitting if you're sick and tired of it. I've been with my company for just as long (if a few months longer) and I'm paid shit, the higher-ups won't consider me for promotion, they've actively IGNORED getting me accommodations for various things quite a few times, and I'm just sick of it. But I can't motivate myself to look elsewhere, because: depression and various factors that are completely valid that depress me.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 03:07:54 AM by thisismyusername »

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #4472 on: October 27, 2017, 03:17:19 AM »

Didn't you find a better job somewhere?

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #4473 on: October 27, 2017, 03:28:16 AM »
I think it's more of the principle, everybody else got one, it does kinda suck when you don't even get a token one.

Because of what I do I basically never get them, but I appreciated being told by a place that they'd let me know if something came up to renew or better our deal. (Honestly, they shouldn't have renewed me the first time and I still am not sure why they did other than maybe the timing. :lol)

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #4474 on: October 27, 2017, 05:19:28 AM »

Maybe they figured word got around and now they don't do it anymore.

I put in my notice once and got a sweet offer and stayed on (was like a 20-30% raise)

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4475 on: October 27, 2017, 08:04:32 AM »
It could also be that they really just can't match your new salary so didn't bother offering you something less.  Don't let it bother you.  Either way you're onto bigger and better things.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #4476 on: October 27, 2017, 02:11:23 PM »

Depends on the leadership. I've been at companies that did this all the time. And then when I took over I was like "Nope. Not doing that. If they want more money they can ask, but I'm going to take them at their word, say thanks for the time and see you." Apparently some people were pissed that they didn't get a counter offer. One confronted me afterwards, I told him in my mind, if you went through all the trouble to get another offer you were comfortable taking, why wouldn't you take it? So don't take it personally.
que

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4477 on: October 27, 2017, 02:20:42 PM »

Upper-decker all the toilets. Every day for the next two weeks.
©@©™

« Reply #4478 on: October 27, 2017, 02:52:18 PM »
Gotdamn birds trying to build a nest in my window fan. Will have to brandish electric flyswatter to assert dominance.

Corporal

« Reply #4479 on: October 27, 2017, 03:53:53 PM »
I'm hungry, but too lazy to cook. :-\ MODS HALP
!list

« Reply #4480 on: October 27, 2017, 04:41:47 PM »
God damn fucking mosquitos absolutely Ravaging my legs. By the end of the month I'll have a second skin formed by repellent. I hate spring.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #4481 on: October 27, 2017, 06:03:30 PM »
It's annoying to babysit my brother because he's an 11 year old edgelord who doesn't listen to me "because I'm not his mom".

« Reply #4482 on: October 27, 2017, 06:13:24 PM »
Call Caesar Millan. tsst

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #4483 on: October 27, 2017, 06:49:01 PM »
landed in london

alas this is london so still like two hours before i can crash on my mates couch

by then ill been have up for 22 hours lemme sleeeep

« Reply #4484 on: October 27, 2017, 09:30:10 PM »
Got a decent looking high-lift jack from ol' Horror Fraught. Started lifting car. BLAMMO! Seal failed after 6-7 pumps. Goddammitsomuch.

Take 100+ lb POS in for replacement. Second jack won't hold height & loses pressure thru bleeder screw. On the plus side, it makes a delightful whistling noise not unlike the teacups ride music at Disneyland.

There's a third jack sitting in a box in my garage. I'm not a smart man.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4485 on: October 27, 2017, 09:53:48 PM »

Naw, dawg, you're moving on. You were done with that place.

Tasty

« Reply #4486 on: October 27, 2017, 09:57:11 PM »
Thanks for the kind words you guys. And you're absolutely right.

That said, today was my last day, and my feeling as I was leaving was pure regret. It's rare you only feel one emotion so purely, but that's what it was. I could hear my subconscious whispering, "Take it all back, don't sign your exit form, it's not too late."

I powered through purely because I know in a month I'll look back on this as the right decision. But that logic only just barely trumped my emotions today.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4487 on: October 27, 2017, 10:01:46 PM »

That said, today was my last day, and my feeling as I was leaving was pure regret. It's rare you only feel one emotion so purely, but that's what it was. I could hear my subconscious whispering, "Take it all back, don't sign your exit form, it's not too late."

I powered through purely because I know in a month I'll look back on this as the right decision. But that logic only just barely trumped my emotions today.
The devil you know is always more tempting to tolerate than the unknown. You've got this. You're a hard working and driven individual. Don't fall prey to fear!

Corporal

« Reply #4488 on: October 28, 2017, 09:28:37 PM »
Meh. :-\

I just got woken up by the radio controlled analogue wall clock making a ruckus because daylight savings time or whatever stole one hour from my restful sleep - which means, it has to fast forward through eleven hours worth of time (time travel to the past is apparently impossible).

I'd protest some more, but I'm too sleepy. G'night y'all.
!list

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #4489 on: October 28, 2017, 09:41:49 PM »
spilled tea on my mouse, got it working again s/o 2 rice. Hope it holds.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #4490 on: October 29, 2017, 12:21:54 AM »
I took the fam to trunk or treat tonight.
Tried out a War Fuckboi costume. The makeup all clumped up and ran together in the heat. So I looked more like a fuckboi zombie. Oh well, I'll try again on Tuesday maybe. It's worth getting right, even if no one knows who you're supposed to be.
que

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #4491 on: October 29, 2017, 12:43:05 AM »

I've had that with the first few companies I've left and honestly, when I leave this one I'll probably feel the same way again. Change can be terrifying. But really every change I've made has bee great so far. Just trust your judgement, you made your decisions for reasons, trust they're good ones.
que

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #4492 on: October 29, 2017, 01:44:14 AM »
Bought all the things needed to make a bomb ass sandwich... But forgot the cheese. I made one anyways sans cheese, and ate it.... I could tell. I could fucking tell.
:9

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4493 on: October 29, 2017, 03:03:01 AM »

It's gonna be much better.   :)  I had similar thoughts to what you posted earlier, BTW- not that I wanted to stay in the shithole I was quitting, but on not getting any kind of counter-offer or even someone just asking me to stay and wondering what would keep me.  I didn't even get an exit interview...it was pretty much just "Thanks and good luck.  Bye!"  This was after I had busted my ass for these people and worked an awful, awful schedule that was promised to change and never did.

When I told my current co-workers about this (who all coincidentally also worked at the previous job), it was suggested that with the way the former job had taken a nosedive, they probably figured there was no reason to bother trying to convince anyone to stay.  Made sense.  :lol

Even on bad days, my current job is 1000 times better than my old one...no exaggerations. 
ど助平

Beezy

« Reply #4494 on: October 29, 2017, 04:21:49 PM »
Tonsils have felt weird/swollen going on 3 days now. I'm not sick though. Gonna try to get them checked out tomorrow or Tuesday.

Dude, hope it's ok.
My cat did the same thing and ran under a shelf on three legs and stayed there a good long while. I gave him some food and waited til morning. Next day, he was as good as ever. Hope that's the case here.

I still took him to the vet to be safe, but this is basically what happened. The vet couldn't find anything wrong with him.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4495 on: October 29, 2017, 06:45:55 PM »
Tonsils have felt weird/swollen going on 3 days now. I'm not sick though. Gonna try to get them checked out tomorrow or Tuesday.

Dude, hope it's ok.
My cat did the same thing and ran under a shelf on three legs and stayed there a good long while. I gave him some food and waited til morning. Next day, he was as good as ever. Hope that's the case here.

I still took him to the vet to be safe, but this is basically what happened. The vet couldn't find anything wrong with him.

tonsil stones?

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #4496 on: October 29, 2017, 08:34:02 PM »
Only had enough vodka left over to get mildly buzzed. Its like jerking off and almost cumming, going soft and tugging at a snail for an hour chasing the dragon
:9

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4497 on: October 29, 2017, 09:15:48 PM »
Snail tugging is the worst cause halfway through you start to question your life choices.   

Beezy

« Reply #4498 on: October 30, 2017, 12:15:42 AM »
tonsil stones?
I have no idea. I hope not.

Corporal

« Reply #4499 on: October 30, 2017, 12:32:58 AM »
Half past five in the morning.

Monday.

That feel when exhausted before even doing anything. Someone wake me up plz.
!list