Author Topic: minor inconveniences that are not struggles  (Read 885400 times)

BisMarckie

Re: minor inconveniences that are not struggles
« Reply #7020 on: April 30, 2019, 04:09:01 AM »
Getting my wisdom teeth removed in 10 minutes.
Wish me luck, brehs.

BisMarckie

« Reply #7021 on: April 30, 2019, 05:16:27 AM »
Teeth are out and I’m high on narcotics.
Win/Win in my book. :doge

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #7022 on: April 30, 2019, 06:53:03 AM »
Went to downtown Osaka today to take my daughter out to lunch and get my iPhone replaced. About 100m from home, the shoes I was wearing had part of the sole detach and flap as I walked.

These are limited edition Nike Air Rift that my wife picked up for me in Hawaii more than 10 years ago. I've maybe worn them only a dozen times.

Over the course of the next two hours the shoes broke in every conceivable way, from both shoes' strap-buckles breaking within 10 seconds of each other to the foam sole coming away from the shoe in addition to the rubber coming away from the foam, like a sandwich falling apart one layer at a time.

I went to several shoe shops and was completely disappointed in the selection and prices, so in the end I bought a pair of flip-flops and threw away my exploded shoes.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #7023 on: April 30, 2019, 08:10:57 AM »
I hope the lunch with your daughter was nice.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #7024 on: April 30, 2019, 11:46:05 AM »
I hope the lunch with your daughter was nice.
It was swell, thanks! She was bragging about it to my wife later in the evening. Dad knows where to get the best burgers in Osaka!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7025 on: April 30, 2019, 11:55:00 AM »
Went to downtown Osaka today to take my daughter out to lunch and get my iPhone replaced. About 100m from home, the shoes I was wearing had part of the sole detach and flap as I walked.

These are limited edition Nike Air Rift that my wife picked up for me in Hawaii more than 10 years ago. I've maybe worn them only a dozen times.

Over the course of the next two hours the shoes broke in every conceivable way, from both shoes' strap-buckles breaking within 10 seconds of each other to the foam sole coming away from the shoe in addition to the rubber coming away from the foam, like a sandwich falling apart one layer at a time.

I went to several shoe shops and was completely disappointed in the selection and prices, so in the end I bought a pair of flip-flops and threw away my exploded shoes.

I had this happen with a nice pair of loafers, rarely worn, that were about 10 years old.  Put them on to go to an interview and when I got there, found that the bottom of the right shoe had fallen off and it was kind of leaking shoe-bits all over the place, leaving a huge trail everywhere I walked.   :lol
ど助平

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #7026 on: April 30, 2019, 02:55:11 PM »
bork's kryptonite:

- deliveries
- hotels

- shoes

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #7027 on: April 30, 2019, 02:56:42 PM »
Rubber does degrade and become brittle after about a decade and not using it often (putting regular flex on it) will actually accelerate the process. It's an interactive bag of chemicals, just like us.   :no1curr

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #7028 on: April 30, 2019, 03:06:13 PM »
bork shoes, rarely worn
©@©™

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #7029 on: April 30, 2019, 03:28:30 PM »
Shut the fuck up shoe bitch

Sounds like somebody's a bit fragile.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #7030 on: April 30, 2019, 03:43:12 PM »
He does regulary flex though.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7031 on: May 04, 2019, 06:20:04 PM »
Earlier this morning, the doorbell rang, followed by loud knocking.  I was half-dressed and scrambled to go downstairs.  Heard "No, don't put it there" and saw someone trying to push an envelope under the door.  I looked and saw a man and a little kid walking away and the dad said "we'll come back."  No idea who they were. 

Now I think I do- we just went to order some food and my wife got her wallet to go get it (I'm stuck at home as the on-call monkey for work) and found her license missing.  She thinks she dropped it in the park when she was walking the dog. 

Hope those people come back.  Meanwhile she decided to go get in her car and drive around anyway- she wants to go back to the park to re-trace her steps.  99% sure it's gone regardless if those people from earlier had it or not.   :-\  Don't want to try to report it lost until tomorrow (not even sure if anything can be done on the weekend anyway) in case it was found.
ど助平

Raist

« Reply #7032 on: May 04, 2019, 06:46:08 PM »
So you could clearly hear them, but didn't shout "hold on a sec, be right there" or something...?

bork's kryptonite:

- deliveries
- hotels

- shoes

- answering the door for potentially very important things

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7033 on: May 05, 2019, 08:47:01 AM »
So you could clearly hear them, but didn't shout "hold on a sec, be right there" or something...?

bork's kryptonite:

- deliveries
- hotels

- shoes

I did, but it went unheard.  :(  I ran downstairs and opened the door, too, but they were already driving off.  No Reeeeeeeeeeeeee here.
ど助平

BisMarckie

« Reply #7034 on: May 07, 2019, 06:38:22 PM »
Ate canned mushrooms which expired almost a year ago.

Cant wait to get botulism. :hyper

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #7035 on: May 07, 2019, 11:04:45 PM »
Oh no ... how do you feel?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7036 on: May 08, 2019, 12:14:42 AM »
eat 2.5 pints of blackberries in a half hour. 

BisMarckie

« Reply #7037 on: May 08, 2019, 09:32:19 AM »
Unless the botulism takes a while to get here I think I am fine.  :doge

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #7038 on: May 08, 2019, 11:32:07 AM »
Unless the botulism takes a while to get here I think I am fine.  :doge

ur ded m8
🍆🍆

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #7039 on: May 08, 2019, 11:48:42 AM »
Show TVC your poop, he's the expert.
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7040 on: May 08, 2019, 01:36:50 PM »
I think his expertise is limited to his own filth. 

Tasty

« Reply #7041 on: May 08, 2019, 03:37:47 PM »
I keep trying to avoid The Verge cause I intensely dislike EiC Nilay Patel and those YouTube strikes against people making fun of their PC building video were the last straw, but they keep getting scoops and exclusives and I actually like some of the writers on the site. :-\

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7042 on: May 09, 2019, 08:19:57 PM »

bork's kryptonite:

- deliveries
- hotels

- shoes

I did, but it went unheard.  :(  I ran downstairs and opened the door, too, but they were already driving off.  No Reeeeeeeeeeeeee here.

They came back.  Gave the kid $30 as a reward- the dad came back, said he was really surprised I gave him so much, and wanted to give the cash back to me...but I told him to keep it.  Feels good man, etc. etc.  We then proceeded to destroy the license since it had already been replaced.
:neogaf
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #7043 on: May 10, 2019, 12:09:22 AM »
As a condo owner in an HoA community (I assume all condos are in HoAs?), got hit by my first special assessment today. They found some cracks by the common area dinky pool no one ever actually uses and suddenly there's a $1,300 bill/per unit outta nowhere for emergency repairs. Seems like a lot but I asked around and apparently it's not strange to have $3,000 or $5,000 special assessments out of nowhere in an HoA, so $1,300 is supposedly pretty reasonable. Still sucks, and HoAs are lame af, but if I don't want to deal with an HoA I'd need to buy an actual house, which is way more work and expenses so w/e I guess  :whatsthedeal

My brother  bought a house about a half year ago with a pool and then found out he needed $30,000 in repairs or $20,000 to fill it with cement. I'm never buying a place with a pool lol

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #7044 on: May 10, 2019, 09:12:31 AM »
love to start the day hearing "so i got an email that said i had a voicemail waiting, so i put my login into the site" when we don't do emailed voicemails here. :-\ especially when its from the exec admin who basically runs most of our shit and has about a million logins for various sites.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #7045 on: May 10, 2019, 09:12:46 AM »
I've become addicted to hummus. I go through a container in about 2 days now.

BisMarckie

« Reply #7046 on: May 10, 2019, 09:29:38 AM »
I have a Lebanese takeaway place in walking distance that sells just the best homemade hummus. :mouf

And Tabbouleh :drool

Bebpo

« Reply #7047 on: May 12, 2019, 03:17:44 AM »
CC # got stolen. Been a while since that happened to any of my cards. Was a backup card I only used for gas stations, markets, steam and PSN. I assume mostly likely culprit is gas stations, I always hear people can copy your card when you put it in the machine or something. Otherwise would have to be a PSN breach or something cause I doubt it's steam or the supermarket.

Edit, actually looking at my last statements, I guess I also had this linked with some other recurring billing stuff. Dunno where it got stolen from. Oh well, annoying but this stuff happens in modern day society every couple years if you have a few cards.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 03:30:18 AM by Bebpo »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #7048 on: May 13, 2019, 03:55:52 AM »
My wife has been pretty tense about money lately, and I really, REALLY hate talking about money. I don't spend much overall, I'm pretty thrifty, but a single person's living expenses in Tokyo are sizable, so I've not been able to save as much as I'd like, as there's little in excess of making my Osaka mortgage payment and paying for my rent and food. It's frustrating enough as-is, but having it be an issue with my spouse, as well as not living nearby enough to communicate about it regularly, has been a thorn in our sides.

Then out of the blue last night she's telling me that, instead of a one-time government-mandated 車検 "upkeep tax" on the car, she'd like to buy a new car.

:mindblown
spoiler (click to show/hide)
:iface
[close]

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #7049 on: May 13, 2019, 04:20:34 AM »
What's it going to take to get you guys back in the same area again?
每天生气

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7050 on: May 13, 2019, 09:21:05 AM »
As a condo owner in an HoA community (I assume all condos are in HoAs?), got hit by my first special assessment today. They found some cracks by the common area dinky pool no one ever actually uses and suddenly there's a $1,300 bill/per unit outta nowhere for emergency repairs. Seems like a lot but I asked around and apparently it's not strange to have $3,000 or $5,000 special assessments out of nowhere in an HoA, so $1,300 is supposedly pretty reasonable. Still sucks, and HoAs are lame af, but if I don't want to deal with an HoA I'd need to buy an actual house, which is way more work and expenses so w/e I guess  :whatsthedeal

$1300...per unit?  For a pool?

How many units are in your HOA?  I think mine is like 80-something and we get special assessments pretty much every year, but they want like $200 from everyone for stuff (including pool repairs).  Doesn't seem so bad now, holy shit.  But this reminds me that part of last year's "special assessment fee" was supposed to go towards adding a phone to the pool area (WHY) and they never did this.  :doge

Saw a really nice condo for sale the other day a price that seemed too good to be true.  The catch?  $900 a month for HOA fees alone. :dizzy  I LOL'd.

CC # got stolen. Been a while since that happened to any of my cards. Was a backup card I only used for gas stations, markets, steam and PSN. I assume mostly likely culprit is gas stations, I always hear people can copy your card when you put it in the machine or something. Otherwise would have to be a PSN breach or something cause I doubt it's steam or the supermarket.

Edit, actually looking at my last statements, I guess I also had this linked with some other recurring billing stuff. Dunno where it got stolen from. Oh well, annoying but this stuff happens in modern day society every couple years if you have a few cards.

That sucks.   :-\  Always annoying to have to go and change auto-pay stuff and wherever else the card is on file.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 10:11:55 AM by bork »
ど助平

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #7051 on: May 13, 2019, 10:44:23 AM »
©ZH

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #7052 on: May 13, 2019, 11:48:59 AM »

It won't take much. To be honest, I'm already talking to several more places and entertaining a sizable commute just so I can be back with my family, sleep in my own bed, and cut back on these expenses.

My current job is really good, I am feeling incredibly grateful for it. I just need to be closer to my family.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #7053 on: May 13, 2019, 11:53:29 AM »
chrono is a really inspiring family guy. :tocry

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7054 on: May 13, 2019, 02:18:35 PM »

It won't take much. To be honest, I'm already talking to several more places and entertaining a sizable commute just so I can be back with my family, sleep in my own bed, and cut back on these expenses.

My current job is really good, I am feeling incredibly grateful for it. I just need to be closer to my family.

I think I asked about this before, but is a permanent move to Tokyo out of the question? 
ど助平

shosta

« Reply #7055 on: May 13, 2019, 03:05:13 PM »
Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register.
the tech industry rediscovering the guild organizational model
每天生气

Raist

« Reply #7056 on: May 13, 2019, 03:18:46 PM »
My wife has been pretty tense about money lately, and I really, REALLY hate talking about money. I don't spend much overall, I'm pretty thrifty, but a single person's living expenses in Tokyo are sizable, so I've not been able to save as much as I'd like, as there's little in excess of making my Osaka mortgage payment and paying for my rent and food. It's frustrating enough as-is, but having it be an issue with my spouse, as well as not living nearby enough to communicate about it regularly, has been a thorn in our sides.

Then out of the blue last night she's telling me that, instead of a one-time government-mandated 車検 "upkeep tax" on the car, she'd like to buy a new car.

[close]

Tell your kids to get a job :yeshrug

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #7057 on: May 13, 2019, 07:27:23 PM »
(snip)
I think I asked about this before, but is a permanent move to Tokyo out of the question?
Yeah, I have a mortgage in Osaka, and my home is right next to the rest of my wife's family. In 2011, I determined that if we were going to move, it'd be to another country, because there's no reason for me to be in Japan other than my wife being close to her family.

Another monetary "inconvenience": the power company contract on my solar was for 10 years, and now that it's run up, they're setting the new rate at Ą11/kW rather than Ą40/kW. We're about to be paid much, much less for the power we generate, and we can't afford the Ą2,000,000 for a home battery that would allow us to use ALL our own generated energy instead of selling it back to the grid for 25% of what we'd been getting.
 :maf :maf :maf

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7058 on: May 13, 2019, 09:15:52 PM »
Waiting to see if I got a paper accepted today - I really hope I do, I could really use a win. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7059 on: May 14, 2019, 12:35:04 AM »
And rejected

shosta

« Reply #7060 on: May 14, 2019, 12:37:53 AM »
What were the notes?
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7061 on: May 14, 2019, 12:53:54 AM »
It got a 2/5, 3.5/5 and 3.5/5 basic complaint was that it wasn't novel enough however it was a short paper which is not meant to be significantly novel. 

Raist

« Reply #7062 on: May 14, 2019, 01:55:43 AM »
Marks?

wtf

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #7063 on: May 15, 2019, 01:40:37 AM »

[close]

http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=42453.msg2623917#msg2623917

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7064 on: May 15, 2019, 03:29:36 PM »
Got the car back.  The lady was actually genuinely nice this time and went pretty quickly to pull the car around.  Asked again what this recall was about and she goes "oh no, it's nothing dangerous!  See the physical OnStar button on the top there?"  (the one I'm never going to use) "Well they want to change it out.  I guess they changed the design of the image on the front of it or something." 

:dead

HOW THE HELL IS THAT A "RECALL!?"
She was going on and on about how this was super-important on Monday.  :doge

Fuck.  :lol :dizzy :lol :dizzy

So here we are, almost four months later.  Since that time I've changed my preferred dealer/service center to a different place, but these guys just don't let up.  Just got a call from a local number I didn't recognize, so I used the Google call screening service to check it.  The caller's responses just come in as "uh yeah uh...yeah...uh...Chevrolet" so I answered:

Her: So the reason I'm calling is to tell you about a SAFETY RECALL on your vehicle.  Now, this is a recall so you just need to bring the car in to us and we'll take care of it all for free.
Me: What's the recall for?
Her: The Onstar button graphic has changed, so we need to change it out for you as soon as possible.

:dead

Me: (Decided to not say that I've already had this conversation with them and that I don't pay for Onstar, so I don't care) So...it's not a safety issue, then?  Can I get this taken care of later on when I need to bring the car in for maintenance?
Her: ....Oh.  I guess so, yeah.  When's the next time you will bring it in?  How many miles are on it?
Me: I just got the car a few months ago, so whenever it needs an oil change.  It has maybe 1700 miles right now.
Her: Oh, that should be just fine then!  Just call this number back when you need to make an appointment~

Thanks, will make sure not to do that. :dizzy  Also gotta say- I expected to get lots of junk mail from these guys, but the amount of Onstar and Sirius XM crap I got for a month or two was absolutely INSANE.  Every day there were at least 1-2 pieces of mail with "SUPER URGENT!!!!!" stamped on them, trying to get me to sign up.  Onstar is supposedly a nightmare to deal with if you don't want service anymore.  Not that I would know because fuck if I'm ever using that shit.
ど助平

shosta

« Reply #7065 on: May 16, 2019, 12:23:19 PM »
Blame metrics :punch
每天生气

samir

« Reply #7066 on: May 16, 2019, 12:41:30 PM »
Indian?

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #7067 on: May 16, 2019, 01:06:55 PM »
We converted all our logistics and inventory software recently and the new suite is a pile of shit. Nothing works right and it’s crashed twice today. Just wanna quit

Raist

« Reply #7068 on: May 16, 2019, 07:49:51 PM »

bork's kryptonite:

- deliveries
- hotels

- shoes

- cars

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #7069 on: May 16, 2019, 07:52:54 PM »

bork's kryptonite:

- deliveries
- hotels

- shoes

- cars
moderating messageboards for free

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #7070 on: May 18, 2019, 01:51:06 AM »
The Japanese communard I live with has taken to no longer wearing pants or shorts around the joint, opting instead to wear what I would describe as panties that visually resemble the briefs you might have worn as a small child (white with colored edges and some kind of cartoon (anime?) characters in the white spaces).

I already feel ashamed eating junk food late at night and this isn't helping when I skulk into the kitchen. :snoop

:vr
[close]

shosta

« Reply #7071 on: May 18, 2019, 02:25:11 AM »
bring 👏 back 👏 the 👏 chonmage 👏
每天生气

Kara

« Reply #7072 on: May 18, 2019, 01:32:26 PM »
 :dead these deep cuts are killing me

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7073 on: May 20, 2019, 12:45:24 PM »
Got a bunch of bad experiment results which means I can't submit to a conference tomorrow. 

BisMarckie

« Reply #7074 on: May 24, 2019, 10:46:00 AM »
The guy who had all these balkan propaganda videos closed his account. :stahp

Youtube’s anti-Serbian agenda has gone too far. :bolo

BisMarckie

« Reply #7075 on: May 24, 2019, 03:10:22 PM »

RIP Komandante Doga and the guy who had hundreds of videos like this. :tocry

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #7076 on: May 24, 2019, 06:42:55 PM »
My client decided to put up posters everywhere celebrating and reinforcing our organizational goals - basically a bunch of slogans about how workers need to be brave, be bold, be committed to the organizations ''''''mission'''''''. This shit is everywhere I walk now. I'm in a prison of corporate agitprop :(

Just wait until you’re in senior management where you’re expected to memorize all of the agitprop and can be quizzed on it at random.
🍆🍆

Kara

« Reply #7077 on: May 24, 2019, 11:00:29 PM »
Most of my clientele is Catholic because I'm ambiguously Catholic (via private school education, cac name). Tonight at dinner one of them (while extremely drunk) said that I should become a priest in part because I've been single awhile and because I'm "worldly". There were a lot of other clients present and they all thought this was hilarious. Going to be living this one down for months, possibly years. :beli

:blessup
[close]

shosta

« Reply #7078 on: May 25, 2019, 10:35:51 PM »
My gay haircutter got my phone number out of the corporate database to text me  :beli
每天生气

Raist

« Reply #7079 on: May 26, 2019, 12:24:36 AM »
Just tell him you're 14, he will never text you again.

It's not like you'd be lying anyway.