Author Topic: minor inconveniences that are not struggles  (Read 417380 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: minor inconveniences that are not struggles
« Reply #7860 on: May 13, 2019, 09:21:05 AM »
As a condo owner in an HoA community (I assume all condos are in HoAs?), got hit by my first special assessment today. They found some cracks by the common area dinky pool no one ever actually uses and suddenly there's a $1,300 bill/per unit outta nowhere for emergency repairs. Seems like a lot but I asked around and apparently it's not strange to have $3,000 or $5,000 special assessments out of nowhere in an HoA, so $1,300 is supposedly pretty reasonable. Still sucks, and HoAs are lame af, but if I don't want to deal with an HoA I'd need to buy an actual house, which is way more work and expenses so w/e I guess  :whatsthedeal

$1300...per unit?  For a pool?
:mindblown

How many units are in your HOA?  I think mine is like 80-something and we get special assessments pretty much every year, but they want like $200 from everyone for stuff (including pool repairs).  Doesn't seem so bad now, holy shit.  But this reminds me that part of last year's "special assessment fee" was supposed to go towards adding a phone to the pool area (WHY) and they never did this.  :doge

Saw a really nice condo for sale the other day a price that seemed too good to be true.  The catch?  $900 a month for HOA fees alone. :dizzy  I LOL'd.

CC # got stolen. Been a while since that happened to any of my cards. Was a backup card I only used for gas stations, markets, steam and PSN. I assume mostly likely culprit is gas stations, I always hear people can copy your card when you put it in the machine or something. Otherwise would have to be a PSN breach or something cause I doubt it's steam or the supermarket.

Edit, actually looking at my last statements, I guess I also had this linked with some other recurring billing stuff. Dunno where it got stolen from. Oh well, annoying but this stuff happens in modern day society every couple years if you have a few cards.

That sucks.   :-\  Always annoying to have to go and change auto-pay stuff and wherever else the card is on file.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 10:11:55 AM by bork »
ど助平

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #7861 on: May 13, 2019, 10:44:23 AM »
©ZH

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #7862 on: May 13, 2019, 11:48:59 AM »
What's it going to take to get you guys back in the same area again?

It won't take much. To be honest, I'm already talking to several more places and entertaining a sizable commute just so I can be back with my family, sleep in my own bed, and cut back on these expenses.

My current job is really good, I am feeling incredibly grateful for it. I just need to be closer to my family.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #7863 on: May 13, 2019, 11:53:29 AM »
chrono is a really inspiring family guy. :tocry

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7864 on: May 13, 2019, 02:18:35 PM »
What's it going to take to get you guys back in the same area again?

It won't take much. To be honest, I'm already talking to several more places and entertaining a sizable commute just so I can be back with my family, sleep in my own bed, and cut back on these expenses.

My current job is really good, I am feeling incredibly grateful for it. I just need to be closer to my family.

I think I asked about this before, but is a permanent move to Tokyo out of the question? 
ど助平

Esch

• Ted Richelieu
« Reply #7865 on: May 13, 2019, 02:36:33 PM »
Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register.

hhkcvaoitsso

• This sleep of forgetfulness will not last forever.
« Reply #7866 on: May 13, 2019, 03:05:13 PM »
Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register.
the tech industry rediscovering the guild organizational model
每天生气

Dufus

• Harvester of Likes
« Reply #7867 on: May 13, 2019, 03:05:59 PM »
proper struggles:

im getting less depressed, but it's always extremely unpleasant to transition from depressed to less/not depressed because i get mood swings, fits of rage, etc

shit is hard

but i have so much experience with depression (about 15 years) i can actually accurately predict when it'll pass, about 10 days from now so i just have to hang in there

so im getting more emotional like i ofen have to feel like i have to cry my eyeballs out, thats actually a REALLY good sign cuz when im depressed that never happens, depression to me means being dead on the inside

and one last thing thats rly fucking me unexpectedly

along with my emotions, the thirst is also getting very very real

i need to get my shit together before i can go on a date but hopefully i can do that quickly so i can start dating next month, which is much earlier than i would have planned but we'll see

turn struggles intro triumphs brehs

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #7868 on: May 13, 2019, 03:18:46 PM »
My wife has been pretty tense about money lately, and I really, REALLY hate talking about money. I don't spend much overall, I'm pretty thrifty, but a single person's living expenses in Tokyo are sizable, so I've not been able to save as much as I'd like, as there's little in excess of making my Osaka mortgage payment and paying for my rent and food. It's frustrating enough as-is, but having it be an issue with my spouse, as well as not living nearby enough to communicate about it regularly, has been a thorn in our sides.

Then out of the blue last night she's telling me that, instead of a one-time government-mandated 車検 "upkeep tax" on the car, she'd like to buy a new car.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:iface
[close]

Tell your kids to get a job :yeshrug

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #7869 on: May 13, 2019, 07:27:23 PM »
(snip)
I think I asked about this before, but is a permanent move to Tokyo out of the question?
Yeah, I have a mortgage in Osaka, and my home is right next to the rest of my wife's family. In 2011, I determined that if we were going to move, it'd be to another country, because there's no reason for me to be in Japan other than my wife being close to her family.

Another monetary "inconvenience": the power company contract on my solar was for 10 years, and now that it's run up, they're setting the new rate at ¥11/kW rather than ¥40/kW. We're about to be paid much, much less for the power we generate, and we can't afford the ¥2,000,000 for a home battery that would allow us to use ALL our own generated energy instead of selling it back to the grid for 25% of what we'd been getting.
 :maf :maf :maf

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7870 on: May 13, 2019, 09:15:52 PM »
Waiting to see if I got a paper accepted today - I really hope I do, I could really use a win. 
NtGay

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7871 on: May 14, 2019, 12:35:04 AM »
And rejected
NtGay

hhkcvaoitsso

« Reply #7872 on: May 14, 2019, 12:37:53 AM »
What were the notes?
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7873 on: May 14, 2019, 12:53:54 AM »
It got a 2/5, 3.5/5 and 3.5/5 basic complaint was that it wasn't novel enough however it was a short paper which is not meant to be significantly novel. 
NtGay

Raist

« Reply #7874 on: May 14, 2019, 01:55:43 AM »
Marks?

wtf

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #7875 on: May 15, 2019, 01:40:37 AM »
My wife has been pretty tense about money lately, and I really, REALLY hate talking about money. I don't spend much overall, I'm pretty thrifty, but a single person's living expenses in Tokyo are sizable, so I've not been able to save as much as I'd like, as there's little in excess of making my Osaka mortgage payment and paying for my rent and food. It's frustrating enough as-is, but having it be an issue with my spouse, as well as not living nearby enough to communicate about it regularly, has been a thorn in our sides.

Then out of the blue last night she's telling me that, instead of a one-time government-mandated 車検 "upkeep tax" on the car, she'd like to buy a new car.

:iface
[close]

http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=42453.msg2623917#msg2623917

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7876 on: May 15, 2019, 03:29:36 PM »
Got the car back.  The lady was actually genuinely nice this time and went pretty quickly to pull the car around.  Asked again what this recall was about and she goes "oh no, it's nothing dangerous!  See the physical OnStar button on the top there?"  (the one I'm never going to use) "Well they want to change it out.  I guess they changed the design of the image on the front of it or something." 

:dead

HOW THE HELL IS THAT A "RECALL!?"
She was going on and on about how this was super-important on Monday.  :doge

Fuck.  :lol :dizzy :lol :dizzy

So here we are, almost four months later.  Since that time I've changed my preferred dealer/service center to a different place, but these guys just don't let up.  Just got a call from a local number I didn't recognize, so I used the Google call screening service to check it.  The caller's responses just come in as "uh yeah uh...yeah...uh...Chevrolet" so I answered:

Her: So the reason I'm calling is to tell you about a SAFETY RECALL on your vehicle.  Now, this is a recall so you just need to bring the car in to us and we'll take care of it all for free.
Me: What's the recall for?
Her: The Onstar button graphic has changed, so we need to change it out for you as soon as possible.

:dead

Me: (Decided to not say that I've already had this conversation with them and that I don't pay for Onstar, so I don't care) So...it's not a safety issue, then?  Can I get this taken care of later on when I need to bring the car in for maintenance?
Her: ....Oh.  I guess so, yeah.  When's the next time you will bring it in?  How many miles are on it?
Me: I just got the car a few months ago, so whenever it needs an oil change.  It has maybe 1700 miles right now.
Her: Oh, that should be just fine then!  Just call this number back when you need to make an appointment~

Thanks, will make sure not to do that. :dizzy  Also gotta say- I expected to get lots of junk mail from these guys, but the amount of Onstar and Sirius XM crap I got for a month or two was absolutely INSANE.  Every day there were at least 1-2 pieces of mail with "SUPER URGENT!!!!!" stamped on them, trying to get me to sign up.  Onstar is supposedly a nightmare to deal with if you don't want service anymore.  Not that I would know because fuck if I'm ever using that shit.
ど助平

riotous

• Compliant Transient
« Reply #7877 on: May 16, 2019, 11:56:31 AM »
I am being absolutely driven nuts at work;  this mofo IMs me constantly asking me questions, then sends emails copying people asking the same question and asking me to answer.. after I answer in IM.

It's all quite obviously to make him seem like he's doing shit when I know he barely does anything;  long winded emails that are pointless spam mostly.

hhkcvaoitsso

« Reply #7878 on: May 16, 2019, 12:23:19 PM »
Blame metrics :punch
每天生气

riotous

• Compliant Transient
« Reply #7879 on: May 16, 2019, 12:28:38 PM »
Well little does he know I can basically fire him lol, was asked just yesterday what I thought of him by the guy in charge of his contract who also thinks he's kind of full of shit.

He'd be gone already if he wasn't an onshore guy probably being paid pennies.

samir

« Reply #7880 on: May 16, 2019, 12:41:30 PM »
Indian?

riotous

• Compliant Transient
« Reply #7881 on: May 16, 2019, 12:43:28 PM »
Indian?

Yeah;  and it sucks because I like the guy on a personal level a lot, when I'm in town we go out to lunch and have a good time.

But I'm tasked with letting the client know how he is doing;  the threshold for him is "is he at least helping a little bit or more getting in the way?" and it's the latter right now.  I'd have gotten significantly more work done than the 2 of us combined this week if I wasn't dealing with him.

CatsCatsCats

« Reply #7882 on: May 16, 2019, 01:06:55 PM »
We converted all our logistics and inventory software recently and the new suite is a pile of shit. Nothing works right and it’s crashed twice today. Just wanna quit
😽💨

Raist

« Reply #7883 on: May 16, 2019, 07:49:51 PM »
So you could clearly hear them, but didn't shout "hold on a sec, be right there" or something...?

bork's kryptonite:

- deliveries
- hotels

- shoes

- answering the door for potentially very important things

- cars

filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #7884 on: May 16, 2019, 07:52:54 PM »
So you could clearly hear them, but didn't shout "hold on a sec, be right there" or something...?

bork's kryptonite:

- deliveries
- hotels

- shoes

- answering the door for potentially very important things

- cars
moderating messageboards for free

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #7885 on: May 18, 2019, 01:51:06 AM »
The Japanese communard I live with has taken to no longer wearing pants or shorts around the joint, opting instead to wear what I would describe as panties that visually resemble the briefs you might have worn as a small child (white with colored edges and some kind of cartoon (anime?) characters in the white spaces).

I already feel ashamed eating junk food late at night and this isn't helping when I skulk into the kitchen. :snoop

:vr
[close]

hhkcvaoitsso

« Reply #7886 on: May 18, 2019, 02:25:11 AM »
bring 👏 back 👏 the 👏 chonmage 👏
每天生气

Kara

« Reply #7887 on: May 18, 2019, 01:32:26 PM »
 :dead these deep cuts are killing me

Dufus

• Harvester of Likes
« Reply #7888 on: May 20, 2019, 10:47:10 AM »
my washing is semi-broken and apparently this is a huge problem or some shit can DIY repair it but still i dont need this kind of stress

how the FUCK did i ever even think about getting a goddamned samsung washing machine

im gonna have to buy a soldering iron and learn how to solder now :derp

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7889 on: May 20, 2019, 12:45:24 PM »
Got a bunch of bad experiment results which means I can't submit to a conference tomorrow. 
NtGay

Esch

• Ted Richelieu
« Reply #7890 on: May 23, 2019, 10:41:10 AM »
My client decided to put up posters everywhere celebrating and reinforcing our organizational goals - basically a bunch of slogans about how workers need to be brave, be bold, be committed to the organizations ''''''mission'''''''. This shit is everywhere I walk now. I'm in a prison of corporate agitprop :(

BisMarckie

« Reply #7891 on: May 24, 2019, 10:46:00 AM »
The guy who had all these balkan propaganda videos closed his account. :stahp

Youtube’s anti-Serbian agenda has gone too far. :bolo

BisMarckie

« Reply #7892 on: May 24, 2019, 03:10:22 PM »

RIP Komandante Doga and the guy who had hundreds of videos like this. :tocry

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #7893 on: May 24, 2019, 06:42:55 PM »
My client decided to put up posters everywhere celebrating and reinforcing our organizational goals - basically a bunch of slogans about how workers need to be brave, be bold, be committed to the organizations ''''''mission'''''''. This shit is everywhere I walk now. I'm in a prison of corporate agitprop :(

Just wait until you’re in senior management where you’re expected to memorize all of the agitprop and can be quizzed on it at random.
🍆🍆

Kara

« Reply #7894 on: May 24, 2019, 11:00:29 PM »
Most of my clientele is Catholic because I'm ambiguously Catholic (via private school education, cac name). Tonight at dinner one of them (while extremely drunk) said that I should become a priest in part because I've been single awhile and because I'm "worldly". There were a lot of other clients present and they all thought this was hilarious. Going to be living this one down for months, possibly years. :beli

:blessup
[close]

ExoYZA

• Phunky Phresh Pharaoh
« Reply #7895 on: May 24, 2019, 11:03:54 PM »
You're more suited for the mu'adhin spot, bb.
thots

hhkcvaoitsso

« Reply #7896 on: May 25, 2019, 10:35:51 PM »
My gay haircutter got my phone number out of the corporate database to text me  :beli
每天生气

Raist

« Reply #7897 on: May 26, 2019, 12:24:36 AM »
Just tell him you're 14, he will never text you again.

It's not like you'd be lying anyway.

skullstorm

« Reply #7898 on: May 26, 2019, 08:41:34 AM »
Is he hot?

Kara

« Reply #7899 on: May 27, 2019, 12:37:24 AM »
While doing laundry I noticed an unopened bottle of mouthwash next to one of the bottles of detergent in the laundry room. My first thought upon seeing this was, "Why is there an unopened bottle of mouthwash in the laundry room?" Then I internally responded to my question with another question, "Why shouldn't there be an unopened bottle of mouthwash in the laundry room?" I had no response to this rhetorical question because the logic was unassailable.

They've finally broken my brain. No gods, no masters y'all. ✊

toku

• 𝖉𝖎𝖊
« Reply #7900 on: May 27, 2019, 01:07:09 AM »
That was god talking back to you. You're still a slave.

Crash Dummy

• #soyceleration
« Reply #7901 on: May 27, 2019, 02:38:36 AM »
While doing laundry I noticed an unopened bottle of mouthwash next to one of the bottles of detergent in the laundry room. My first thought upon seeing this was, "Why is there an unopened bottle of mouthwash in the laundry room?" Then I internally responded to my question with another question, "Why shouldn't there be an unopened bottle of mouthwash in the laundry room?" I had no response to this rhetorical question because the logic was unassailable.

They've finally broken my brain. No gods, no masters y'all. ✊
i had a similar experience except with unopened shampoo, and i thought it makes more sense for it to be somewhere in the bathroom so moved it

El Babua

« Reply #7902 on: May 27, 2019, 07:12:12 AM »
Turned on computer after coming home last night. Everything was super choppy. Laptop CPU speed is capped at 380 mhz.

It's a 2.3 ghz dual core processor. Too drunk to figure this shit out lol

Dufus

• Harvester of Likes
« Reply #7903 on: May 27, 2019, 07:20:35 AM »
might be a broken fan or some shit, it might be throttling itself to keep it from overheating

El Babua

« Reply #7904 on: May 27, 2019, 07:23:05 AM »
I have hwmonitor installed so I'll check it out after I'm back home.

Might also be an issue with the battery sensor being fucked up.

ExoYZA

• Phunky Phresh Pharaoh
« Reply #7905 on: May 27, 2019, 08:36:55 AM »
I've managed to stay up through waking up during iftar yesterday to three hours away from iftar today.

Would be a struggle but I've been sneaking to the water cooler and back with my giant bottle like my name isn't Iroquois Pliskin
thots

Stro

• I'm just a dragon-canine boye
« Reply #7906 on: May 27, 2019, 06:05:33 PM »
Hit my head hard for the second time in a week, this time against a brick wall and pretty much the same way: Pulling something until it broke and flying backwards :lol

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7907 on: May 27, 2019, 06:39:53 PM »
Sorry you broke your penis twice
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 06:44:12 PM by Madrun Badrun »
NtGay

Stro

« Reply #7908 on: May 27, 2019, 06:41:29 PM »
I didn't, I broke both penises once each

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7909 on: May 27, 2019, 06:43:45 PM »
I withdraw my sorry
NtGay

Stro

« Reply #7910 on: May 27, 2019, 07:24:58 PM »
 :snoop

Stro

« Reply #7911 on: May 28, 2019, 08:05:37 AM »
Tornado came through the city last night. Missed my house by under 4 miles. :rage

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #7912 on: May 28, 2019, 09:00:34 PM »
My gay haircutter got my phone number out of the corporate database to text me  :beli

That's, like, crazily inappropriate.

hhkcvaoitsso

« Reply #7913 on: May 28, 2019, 09:01:30 PM »
yeah dude, jokes aside, I was not happy about it... but I am willing to put up with a certain level of sexual harassment for what is probably the best haircutter I've had in a while. artistic offsets principle.
每天生气

Crash Dummy

• #soyceleration
« Reply #7914 on: May 29, 2019, 01:56:24 AM »
why don't you say barber instead of haircutter?

Dufus

• Harvester of Likes
« Reply #7915 on: May 30, 2019, 12:11:04 PM »
fuck... gained weight the past two weeks

ive eaten absolutely MASSIVE amounts of ice cream

im still slim, but if i continued to eat well, i would have had abs by now, i probably set that shit back a month now, maybe more

i know theres more important things in life than having abs but im still devastated :(

also, i would have gotten fatter if it weren't for the fact that my local supermarket seems to have all the mediocre ben&jerry flavors :lol

skullstorm

« Reply #7916 on: May 30, 2019, 01:30:44 PM »
Go for the dad bod instead and it's all good 8)

I've actually been eating a lot of ice cream lately too even though the past few years I'd only eaten ice cream a handful of times. Now in a couple of months I've eaten as much as I did probably all last year and maybe the year before combined.

The ice cream industry is trying to enslave us  :hans1

riotous

• Compliant Transient
« Reply #7917 on: May 30, 2019, 01:33:04 PM »
That's funny; I've eaten more sweets the last month than I normally do as well.

Maybe our periods are syncing up  :-*

Don Rumata

« Reply #7918 on: May 30, 2019, 03:45:19 PM »
My HDD died.  :'(
It was the one with games on it, so all i've lost is saves and the games/mods themselves.

The fact that i have to buy a new drive is the worst part of it, tbh, but i'm thinking of going with an SSD this time.

riotous

• Compliant Transient
« Reply #7919 on: May 30, 2019, 03:48:38 PM »
I think I'd rather have a 5-6 year old gaming PC with an SSD than a brand new one w/o.