Author Topic: Struggle Thread mk II - No one likes us, we don't care  (Read 535134 times)

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
Re: Struggle Thread mk II - No one likes us, we don't care
« Reply #1380 on: November 12, 2015, 02:55:44 PM »
I had you pegged as more of a bond guy, though interest rates have been dogshit forever.

Gold, two retirement accounts, some bonds, some silver. I like variety in my investments  :paul

Another happy client of Wu-Tang Financial.  :money

Quote from: FBI
9. Cash Rules

At one point during the FBI’s investigation, they confiscated property from ODB that is listed as being “one heat-sealed bag containing $3,200 in U.S. currency.” Although frankly that could have just been the accumulated proceeds of Dirt Dog’s infamous welfare check runs.

There ain't nothin' but crooks in here,
Gettin' mad money off the books this year

So yeah, pretty much.
YMMV

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #1381 on: November 12, 2015, 02:59:14 PM »
Drunkenly made out with a 70 year old last night. :fbm

BFE
 :money :money :money :money

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #1382 on: November 12, 2015, 03:30:28 PM »
There's a great story about customs stopping a member of Unione Corse who had a suitcase with 250K in cash (this was the 70s) and they wouldn't talk so the feds held them for awhile and then let them go due to lack of evidence / cooperation and the feds not only had to return the obvious drug money (U.C. was one of the cogs in the so-called French Connection) but pay interest. In conclusion, do your contempt time and keep your mouth shut.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #1383 on: November 12, 2015, 03:58:10 PM »
Feel like falling off the Mio Energy wagon today. Pray for me y'all. 🙏

king of the internet

• 🚽
« Reply #1384 on: November 12, 2015, 04:06:41 PM »
I'm on that Green Thunder atm.  8) I've been able to keep my Mio habit in check, at least somewhat, lately. The key is to leave that shit at home. Just drink it when I would otherwise be drinking some trash coffee or energy drink.

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #1385 on: November 14, 2015, 08:41:03 AM »
Woke up, coughed up a massive blob of dried up black blood and mucus followed by an Unholy headache. Apparently it's "Normal" when recovering from surgery :brazilcry

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1386 on: November 14, 2015, 11:26:41 AM »
This morning, around 7AM I received a call from a number I didn't recognize. Answered and heard a deep voice utter my name. Turns out it was a former basketball teammate of mine from junior and varsity high school. I tried to be cordial during the following "hey how have you been" phase of the convo but eventually asked how did you get my number (we hadn't spoken in a decade until today). He said he runs into my dad at the grocery store all the time and got my number from him. Also mentioned my dad gave him the numbers of all my brothers, plus told him where I live.
:kobeyuck

He then proceeded to congratulate me on having a job lol. At that point I remembered the casual racism he displayed back in HS but I let it slide, assuming he didn't mean it like that. And then the hook:

"Well I just wanted to tell you what I'm doing, and what you could be doing. I work at Primerica, have you heard of us?"

:beli

Primerica is basically a pyramid scheme that sells overpriced insurance to poor people. When I just got out of college I remember a guy from Primerica confronting me at a store and basically begging me to attend a seminar of theirs. Based on the conversation I got the impression he targeted me since I'm black and "well spoken." From what I understand Primerica is largely a white organization here but has tried to reel in black customers, and what better way than with black representatives...

Anyway he was going on and on about how amazing the company is, how it has opened his horizons etc etc. He wanted me to come to a seminar today at 9AM lol. Three hour seminar. I've heard the company is really pushy during these events and tries to get people signed up before they leave. I told him I probably couldn't come because I have some work to do and he was like "come on you aren't doing anything today, stop being lazy lol"

Dude was also like "I know you work in business so this is up your alley. You could do it on the side but honestly I doubt you'll want to return to your regular job after speaking with us!"

I wanted to ask what are the salary and benefits like and get ready to passive aggressively chuckle at his response, but I was too tired to troll so I said I'll come to a seminar on another day. I just want to see this fuckery with my own eyes.

Kara

« Reply #1387 on: November 14, 2015, 11:30:12 AM »
I'll pray to Mammon for you. 🙏

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #1388 on: November 14, 2015, 12:31:31 PM »
Getting involved in a pyramid scheme is the penultimate L.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1389 on: November 14, 2015, 12:37:44 PM »
Congrats on having a job!
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1390 on: November 14, 2015, 05:52:33 PM »
In 2012, $509,227,049 was paid to its sales force, an average of $5,513 per life licensed representative.

According to Simply Hired, the average salary for State Farm agent jobs is $32,000.
http://jenniferspassion4internetmarketing.com/is-primerica-a-scam-the-truth-revealed

:holeup :holeup :holeup

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #1391 on: November 15, 2015, 05:34:07 AM »
Wait, why the fuck are you making excuses?
Just straight up tell him you don't want to be involved in MLM schemes, highroad his ass.
brb

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1392 on: November 15, 2015, 08:44:23 PM »
Spent 3 hours debugging some code.  Turns out I accidentally forgot an i += 1 in a loop.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
To be fair, it takes a half hour before the code hits that spot.  my coding abilities :piss2
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #1393 on: November 15, 2015, 08:52:50 PM »
To be fair, it takes a half hour before the code hits that spot.  my coding abilities :piss2

:mindblown Wtf is this project?

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1394 on: November 15, 2015, 08:54:22 PM »

:mindblown Wtf is this project?

Skynet
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1395 on: November 15, 2015, 08:55:44 PM »
Machine learning project

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1396 on: November 15, 2015, 08:55:56 PM »
Like I said.
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1397 on: November 16, 2015, 09:56:04 PM »
An update on Primerica Guy  :doge

Got off work a bit early today, checked my phone, and saw that I missed a call from Primerica Guy. I told myself I wasn't going to call him back since I had shit to do...but I pussied out and returned the call. What followed was a 40 minute battle of passive aggressiveness on both our parts. I must say I was kinda impressed.

I started out by telling him I looked more into the company, found out they were similar to Amway, and compared it to a pyramid scheme. Similar to a debate in congress, each of us basically would go 3-5 minutes before pausing to allow the opposition to speak. He argued Primerica wasn't a pyramid scheme because "pyramid schemes are illegal, yet Primerica is an active business so clearly it's not a pyramid scheme  :doge "

He kept going on and on about how such and such makes 100k or 500k or a million dollars a year. I told him that a State Farm insurance employee can make 30k a year, whereas there is no guaranteed income for the vast majority of Primerica workers. "Bububu someone at State Farm can't go from 30k to 500k in a year."
:mindblown

I didn't drop the true ether until around the 30 minute mark brehs.

Primerica Guy:  :money I worked at Mr. Pizza doing all types of work, but no matter how hard I worked my pay was the same. I also worked in a clerical job and had the same results. Whereas at Primerica the harder I work the more I can earn

Me: Would you say that you're making more money now than you were while working at Mr. Pizza or the clerical job?

Primerica Guy: ..... :brazilcry No...but...well,  :holeup  but I can say that the only reason I'm not making more is because I haven't truly dedicated myself enough to it.

Me:

Note, during these two calls he has told me he gets up at 8AM to work this job multiple days a week, has a team that relies on him, AND no longer has free time. If that type of dedication can't get you more money than Mr. Pizza, well I don't know what else to tell you doge  :doge

His final retort:

:hitler "Well I can't force you to be passionate about something. But when I explained this to your dad he was very interested, and he's an honorable man so why would he be receptive to anything that could harm you"

:lol :lol :lol

I spoke with my dad earlier today and he straight up told me he didn't know much about Primerica, he just assumed it was legit since Primerica Guy was a homeschooler/Christian. :dead

Ultimately I just told the guy look, my dad didn't know anything about your company and tbh most people don't know anything about finances or insurance so yea. I ended it shortly thereafter, but he mentioned he wanted to "hang out" with me at some point. Meh.

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #1398 on: November 16, 2015, 09:58:17 PM »
That's a long run around to say "Take your scam and shove it up your ass."

« Reply #1399 on: November 16, 2015, 10:03:13 PM »
PD with the Bebpo anti-scam strategy: "I think I'll listen to their pitch for 40 minutes before I make any rash decisions."

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1400 on: November 16, 2015, 10:09:13 PM »
So what you're saying is there's an opening at Mr. Pizza?
©@©™

« Reply #1401 on: November 16, 2015, 10:29:07 PM »
 A major blow to my understanding of the value of my degree is when my college at my university sent out an email to everyone advertising a job opening for our majors in a MLM company.

:dead

Kara

« Reply #1402 on: November 17, 2015, 12:31:13 AM »
I get you PD. I worked late tonight on something that's been eating my soul for a few weeks and when my client thanked me for staying late I said that no thanks were necessary, I find Section 338 transactions interesting. And I meant it.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1403 on: November 17, 2015, 04:58:12 AM »
Honestly since I know him I didn't want to be rude, and I had planned on waiting for the perfect moment to ether him with the income question. It was a slow burn, the Rosemary's Baby of financial discussions. I think I stuck the landing so
::yeshrug

Dude was all over the place by the end, going so far as to compare the company to his faith in terms of importance, and connect them in terms of how he can lower the divorce rate by helping couples with financial situations that often ruin marriages. Welp.

Ultimately if your biggest personal success story is making $300 one time ("which is like a week's paycheck at certain jobs") you're fucked. And if you can't see that you lost. Dude has ten siblings so I know he has tried to sell them all on this, plus all his church members. And honestly I think he knows this is a hustle on some level. A lot of MLM guys seem to have a resentment for people who aren't affiliated with their scam of choice, and seem to enjoy the cutthroat nature of sales/building a team of people who kick shit up to you. That bothers me and I definitely won't be hanging with him. Reminds me way too much of my past and the people I was around: ie Christians who relished denigrating college education.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1404 on: November 17, 2015, 11:51:49 AM »
Paper came out today doing pretty much exactly my project idea I've been working on for 5 months.  Fuck gradschool :(

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1405 on: November 17, 2015, 02:51:51 PM »
Just got though it.  The worst part is not only did they take my idea but they did a really shitty job of it.  I'm pretty bummed. 

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #1406 on: November 18, 2015, 12:16:20 AM »
If anything isn't that good news? I mean, you could still do it and do it better.
que

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1407 on: November 18, 2015, 12:27:47 AM »
sadly thats not how real research works

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #1408 on: November 18, 2015, 12:28:52 AM »
I thought you weren't doing real research :doge
que

Kara

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #1410 on: November 23, 2015, 10:28:53 AM »
Huh. So he just talks like that, it's not just a radio voice.

Suddenly I like 99% Invisible a little more.

Kara

« Reply #1411 on: November 24, 2015, 01:17:34 AM »
State flags are mostly garbage with very few exceptions.

Contrary to what you might think, the bear and red star on California's flag have nothing to do with Russophilia. :'(

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1412 on: November 24, 2015, 07:21:30 PM »
Michigan's flag is cool.

king of the internet

• 🚽
« Reply #1413 on: November 25, 2015, 01:54:06 PM »
Michigan's flag is cool.

The stags and the bald eagle are baller af :lawd

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1414 on: November 25, 2015, 05:48:16 PM »
I just post in multiple ones and collect the double likes. 

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1415 on: November 29, 2015, 06:42:41 AM »
Is it possible the boss is very picky about these types of mistakes and she's covering her ass?

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1416 on: November 29, 2015, 07:29:43 AM »
I wouldn't get too worked up about it.  I wouldn't even get worked up at all.

People who cc everyone and their dog gets on everyone's shit list eventually because they hate their inboxes getting cluttered by being copied in on e-mails they don't need to be copied in on.
🍆🍆

« Reply #1417 on: November 29, 2015, 10:07:38 AM »
Dropped my phone in a porta-potty. Considered writing off the $700 but then I gutted up and fished it out. Doesn't work at the moment but hopefully it dries out so I can put it to my face(?)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1418 on: November 29, 2015, 11:02:15 AM »
:lol next time you talk you'll be putting crap from a ton of strangers next to your face.  The speakers just blasting those dried poop particles into your nose. 

« Reply #1419 on: November 29, 2015, 11:05:10 AM »
I'm not in what you would call a developed country at the moment either so I might be risking my life by using this thing.

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #1420 on: November 29, 2015, 12:31:50 PM »
Anytime I leave longer than 2 days, my cat starts shitting in the bathtub. Came home to a shit filled tub :derp

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1421 on: November 29, 2015, 02:09:25 PM »
Honestly, I wouldn't even be mad. At least it's an easy to clean location.

Samson proving once again he's more man than any of us goin in like that

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1422 on: November 29, 2015, 02:27:34 PM »
I'm not in what you would call a developed country at the moment either so I might be risking my life by using this thing.

(Image removed from quote.)

You in a southern state?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1423 on: November 29, 2015, 10:12:11 PM »

You in a southern state?

I literally came here to post a variant of this

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #1424 on: December 01, 2015, 08:03:31 PM »
Clients that wait until the end of the year to come to us and say, "Oh, we want a fully featured, custom website before the end of December" can go fuck themselves with a tetanus ridden, rusty pipe.  :beli

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #1425 on: December 01, 2015, 08:15:30 PM »
I had to deal with an angry client who had requested some credits (that were already issued, she just needed the references) from her sales person who basically told the client it wasn't her job since the credits were issued by the previous salesperson (a simple email to me would suffice).  The client has since stopped ordering so I had to let the salesperson go (the worst part it's a commission gig, so a simple email cost her tons in commission and her job).  Fucking kids man.
vin

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1426 on: December 01, 2015, 09:04:29 PM »
I read this and am not sure whether to feel relieved or doomed.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joni-edelman/chidlren-of-addiction_b_8033346.html

You in a southern state?
:sickburn.gif

Clients that wait until the end of the year to come to us and say, "Oh, we want a fully featured, custom website before the end of December" can go fuck themselves with a tetanus ridden, rusty pipe.  :beli
But you're going to do it anyway, right?
How much code can you just lift from other projects and le copypasta?

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #1427 on: December 01, 2015, 09:21:32 PM »
People who sell things to clients are the worst.
 :teehee
que

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #1428 on: December 01, 2015, 09:23:10 PM »
But you're going to do it anyway, right?
Yes.   :-\

Or at least the "big chunks" and then the smaller stuff gets resolved in January.

How much code can you just lift from other projects and le copypasta?
I don't do much coding except for when I'm reviewing/correcting what the developer has produced based upon my highly detailed mockups.

Creating high fidelity mockups in Photoshop of each webpage (for desktop, tablet, and phone screens) is my job.

edit: And I wouldn't say my part of the job is hard. It's just very time consuming.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 09:30:23 PM by Pallando »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1429 on: December 01, 2015, 10:25:14 PM »
I'm sick for like the 10th time this year.  I'm really worried I'm diabetic and I haven't gone to the doctor.  Also cracked a tooth like a month ago and haven't booked a dentist.  Also feel depression creeping up again.  Also also drunk. 

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #1430 on: December 01, 2015, 10:26:17 PM »
Don't you live in Canada where healthcare grows on trees and the streets are paved with doctors?
que

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1431 on: December 01, 2015, 10:29:10 PM »
Ya but I don't like going also the dentist doesn't but I have insurance but filling out the forms is confusing. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1432 on: December 01, 2015, 10:30:11 PM »
I also need new contacts.  The other day some 80 year old man at the bus stop told his wife that the next street car was out of service and it took me like 30 seconds before I could verify that fact. 

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1433 on: December 01, 2015, 10:30:24 PM »
Ya but I don't like going also the dentist doesn't but I have insurance but filling out the forms is confusing.

You are fucking confusing.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1434 on: December 01, 2015, 11:03:17 PM »
Do I confuse you in the gay way?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1435 on: December 01, 2015, 11:04:52 PM »
My life can pretty much be summed up like this:  everyday I open a new window, and by the end of the day there are 100 tabs open and 40% of them are reddit. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1436 on: December 01, 2015, 11:24:52 PM »
im a poet

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1437 on: December 02, 2015, 12:04:11 AM »

Diagram that damned "dentist" sentence. I'm pretty sure it would cost an English student SAN to read that thing through to its conclusion.

But I'm totes ready for a cuddle in your basement dungeon.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1438 on: December 02, 2015, 01:11:50 AM »

What? Just your SSN or whatever the Canadian equivalent is and a few other contact/insurance infos. And the medical records themselves have all been electronicalized for years. How long has it been since you've been to the dentist?

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1439 on: December 02, 2015, 02:14:04 AM »

Diagram that damned "dentist" sentence. I'm pretty sure it would cost an English student SAN to read that thing through to its conclusion.

But I'm totes ready for a cuddle in your basement dungeon.

Yes lives in Canada with awesome healthcare, but the dentist ain't part of it. He does have private dental insurance, but the forms are bothersome.