Author Topic: Struggle Thread mk II - No one likes us, we don't care  (Read 535227 times)

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Re: Struggle Thread mk II - No one likes us, we don't care
« Reply #2880 on: January 01, 2017, 01:47:23 AM »
6" and 172 lbs

took me like 4 months this year to drop 20, now i have my ideal body weight. Feels good.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 01:51:26 AM by Premium Lager »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2881 on: January 01, 2017, 02:03:09 PM »
6" 156lbs
püp

« Reply #2882 on: January 01, 2017, 04:46:33 PM »
6'1" 165 and I think I have body dismorphia because when I look in the mirror I see a meat muppet

(Image removed from quote.)

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Not really. I went on a few dates with a 5'7" woman that weighed less than 120 earlier this year and was stunning, and later found out that she has suffered from eating disorders and was a cutter because she thought she was disgusting.

The human mind, man.  :-\
[close]
[/spoiler]

Sounds like my ex-wife. Hey, wait a fucking second. . .

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #2883 on: January 01, 2017, 06:59:17 PM »
12 inches, 1 lb
dur

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #2885 on: January 24, 2017, 01:17:09 PM »
Wore a shirt that was on the verge of being too tight today.

Had chipotle for lunch. Had to pit stop at home to charge shirts afterward
dur

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2886 on: January 25, 2017, 06:30:46 AM »
Grandpa died :(

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2887 on: January 25, 2017, 06:33:04 AM »
Grandpa died :(

Best courage through this.
ὕβρις

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #2888 on: January 25, 2017, 07:24:41 AM »
Wow that's tough. Very sorry Kosma.
rub

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2889 on: January 25, 2017, 08:23:30 AM »
Sorry to hear that, Lager.  :'(

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2890 on: January 25, 2017, 08:59:06 AM »
Condolences brother
que

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #2891 on: January 25, 2017, 10:25:49 AM »
Sorry to hear that.  :(
©ZH

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2892 on: January 25, 2017, 03:32:15 PM »
Thanks guys, he was fine until last month when he tripped outside of church (as if we need more proof god is bs) and hit his head. Then it all went super fast and im happy I visited him i hospital over xmas. Hope he recognized me. Sleep tight gramps

Rahxephon91

« Reply #2893 on: January 25, 2017, 10:41:21 PM »
I'm just ready to give up on people. I've never been a very social person, but I've made strides to try and make friends and I've been ok at it. And they constantly disappoint me. They throw you away and in general make it seem like your friendship just is'nt worth it. I recently got into an argument(and really I did'nt even start it or play into it) and another friend called me out of the blue today to tell me he did'nt want to have anything to do with the both of us. Just shat on me for no reason, threw me away like I'm worthless. Again, what is the point of even associating with people? People are trash and only serve to eventually hurt you.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2894 on: January 27, 2017, 03:57:35 AM »
When I get to thinking that the problem is everyone else, it almost never is.

Quaker

« Reply #2895 on: January 27, 2017, 09:18:20 AM »
I'm just ready to give up on people. I've never been a very social person, but I've made strides to try and make friends and I've been ok at it. And they constantly disappoint me. They throw you away and in general make it seem like your friendship just is'nt worth it. I recently got into an argument(and really I did'nt even start it or play into it) and another friend called me out of the blue today to tell me he did'nt want to have anything to do with the both of us. Just shat on me for no reason, threw me away like I'm worthless. Again, what is the point of even associating with people? People are trash and only serve to eventually hurt you.
It'll be ok. We all been there, bruh.  :yeshrug

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2896 on: January 27, 2017, 09:31:35 AM »
Housing bubble is officially back. Prices in my neighborhood are now the same prices they were when the bubble burst. Surely, this will be a healthy turn of events.
que

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2897 on: January 27, 2017, 09:38:06 AM »
rahx, people are a numbers game sadly. I know literally hundreds of people that I could be considered "friendly" with. Of those, I probably have 3-6 that I actually consider close friends (and one of those is the wife). That status just comes from years of knowing each other and being their for each other. And my life is far richer with them than without. The thing is though, it takes a good long time to get those people  and in so doing you sorta learn what kinds of people to avoid and what kinds of people are secretly hidden jewels of people. Life is better with others, but you gotta be selective and you can only be selective after you've known so many that you know what people to not spend too much time on.
que

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2898 on: January 27, 2017, 10:15:55 AM »
Housing bubble is officially back. Prices in my neighborhood are now the same prices they were when the bubble burst. Surely, this will be a healthy turn of events.

Was reading a year or two ago how big corps were snapping up foreclosed houses and then converting them to vastly-overpriced rental properties, which hardly anyone could afford, causing demand for the remaining properties to go way up. Not sure if that's still the case, but it probably is.
dog

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #2899 on: January 27, 2017, 10:35:50 AM »
When I get to thinking that the problem is everyone else, it almost never is.

God damn
rub

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2900 on: January 27, 2017, 12:58:16 PM »
I agree though, when I think that everything is against me its an alarm bell that im being an ass

except on the bore

im always right on the bore :smug

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2901 on: January 28, 2017, 12:11:53 PM »
My other grandpa died today. I grew up in his house. :(

2017 off to a great fucking start.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2902 on: January 28, 2017, 12:29:39 PM »
My condolences :-\

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2903 on: January 28, 2017, 12:49:13 PM »
So both my grandpas died within 3 days, and in between it was my daughters birthday.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2904 on: January 28, 2017, 01:53:44 PM »
That sucks, Jesus. Doubling my earlier message.
ὕβρις

PlayDat

« Reply #2905 on: January 28, 2017, 10:18:43 PM »
Awful. Sorry to hear that.  I have to idea how old your daughter is, but that could wreck a kid depending on their age.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #2906 on: January 28, 2017, 10:45:43 PM »
I'm sorry Lager, there's not much you can do but be there for people. Explain to your daughter it's just the cycle of life and that they probably wanted to live to see her birthday but it was their time.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2907 on: January 29, 2017, 08:07:17 AM »
Thanks, she is just two so no explaining needed. Second grandpa that died got to see her over xmas in hospital

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2908 on: January 29, 2017, 06:43:16 PM »
I'm glad your grandfather got to see his great-grandchild before he departed.

I'm sorry for loss of both grandfathers, and at the same time I'm happy to hear your girl has made it to two years old!

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #2909 on: January 31, 2017, 12:41:15 AM »
Really sorry for your loss, PL. I'm sure they were both great men who lived awesome lives.

bluemax

« Reply #2910 on: February 01, 2017, 12:54:47 AM »
Game launched on PSN today, the streamer they got to promote it had it crash on her :(

I guess the upside is that she had so few viewers almost no one saw it.

Edit: And now after some research I'm pretty sure she was playing the 3 month old beta and ugh that explains a lot.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 02:43:40 AM by bluemax »
NO

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #2911 on: February 01, 2017, 03:32:39 AM »
Going to drive to shitty ass Riyadh and back today  :-\
Stay safe.
reckt

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #2912 on: February 02, 2017, 11:44:20 PM »
Well, my company was acquired by the largest education software company in the country, and they decided to eliminate our special ed product while keeping theirs. Several people from my office got laid off, including myself. I will be there for the next 2 months and then get a 3 month severance package so I'm not on my ass just yet, but this comes as a pretty big shock. Not the first time but it still sucks. I was making what I feel were good inroads at the company, being put in charge of a development team and all, alas... :fbm
^_^

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2913 on: February 03, 2017, 12:45:57 AM »
Damn sucks Tiesto. Hope you find something soon.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #2914 on: February 03, 2017, 12:14:16 PM »
Same thing happened to me a few months ago. New job was a promotion and better money tho. Software peeps go through layoffs all the time so just view this as a new opportunity and aim high. Toku bless you.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2915 on: February 03, 2017, 04:47:37 PM »
that sucks Tiesto, if there's anything I can do help let me know. It seems there's a round of lay offs going around everywhere right now where people are outsourcing like it's 2002. It's gonna be a rough quarter for a ton of people. I really haven't seen this many layoffs due to outsourcing in ages.
que

Bebpo

« Reply #2916 on: February 03, 2017, 07:53:02 PM »
Was at the doctor for a follow up which included going over an MRI of my small intestine I did 2 months ago.  Never heard anything back so figured it was fine.  Well doctor comes in with his serious "has anyone talked to you about the results of your test?" you're gonna die face.

Hopefully not gonna die, at least not anytime soon, but yeah, some potentially pretty bad news, there's an issue and that's not an easy place to take a look and see what's going on, so may need to do kinda a slightly more risky than normal kinda stuff procedure to look in and some of the likely possibilities are pretty bad.   Kinda in shock a bit, think I'm gonna head to Europe and finally check out France later in the year. 

Glad I got family cause uh, this is the one kinda thing where living life solo kinda sucks with no support :|

Bebpo

« Reply #2917 on: February 03, 2017, 08:14:24 PM »
Tonight is a night for beer.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2918 on: February 03, 2017, 08:24:37 PM »
Well, shit. I wish you all the best.

Bebpo

« Reply #2919 on: February 03, 2017, 08:51:23 PM »
Thanks.  It's weird.  I feel like this kinda stuff should hasten my "live life!" perspective I should be out dating or doing something crazy instead of drinking beer & playing videogames.  But, I wanna log into FFXIV and do some mining/crafting -_-  Can't tell if it's because I've got that MMO addiction going on, or if I'm still processing/depressed.  Don't mean to get on the soapbox too much, but having a not-minuscule chance of maybe dying in the next few years is sorta upsetting right now. 

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2920 on: February 03, 2017, 09:40:32 PM »
That all sounds perfectly natural to me.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2921 on: February 05, 2017, 07:13:14 PM »

Keep us posted, Bebsy! It'll be okay!

Well, my company was acquired by the largest education software company in the country, and they decided to eliminate our special ed product while keeping theirs. Several people from my office got laid off, including myself. I will be there for the next 2 months and then get a 3 month severance package so I'm not on my ass just yet, but this comes as a pretty big shock. Not the first time but it still sucks. I was making what I feel were good inroads at the company, being put in charge of a development team and all, alas... :fbm

3-month severance is amazing. Congrats on that, at least.

This is a chance to aim higher. Does your development skill set lend itself to any other field? Are other educational software companies making moves you can influence?

Bebpo

« Reply #2922 on: February 05, 2017, 07:29:11 PM »
I'm ok, was just a little shocked and took a bit to process.  Doing the next steps, but otherwise just back to normal life but maybe enjoying it a little more.  Even though afaik there's no connection, it's motivating me to exercise more, drop red meat and try to be healthier.  Even if it doesn't help any real issues, it keeps me feeling great and that's a big positive.  I think right now I probably am in the best shape & look the best that I've been in a long time.  I haven't posted any pictures online for like a year cause not being in a relationship kinda means few photo opportunities but I'm doing good outside stress (and this is just one more thing to stress about ><), but trying my best to mellow out as much as possible lately. 

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #2923 on: February 05, 2017, 11:23:26 PM »
Thanks.  It's weird.  I feel like this kinda stuff should hasten my "live life!" perspective I should be out dating or doing something crazy instead of drinking beer & playing videogames.  But, I wanna log into FFXIV and do some mining/crafting -_-  Can't tell if it's because I've got that MMO addiction going on, or if I'm still processing/depressed.  Don't mean to get on the soapbox too much, but having a not-minuscule chance of maybe dying in the next few years is sorta upsetting right now.

Really do what makes you feel good right now, Bebpo. You're courageous, but of course you need to have something that makes you feel safe and comfortable. Process all this your own way.
rub

Shrew

« Reply #2924 on: February 08, 2017, 01:04:46 AM »
Can someone explain to me why it's verboten to use the experience of my friends, friends who are minorities, as an example when discussing something? Yeah, I know. "Some of my best friends are black." Or some other group. But they are my friends, my coworkers, and even my family. I'm a cac. But I'm living this shit along side them, I got first hand experience, I'm not just linking some article from Wikipedia. I know them, anything that happens to the happens to me. You guys like Taco Bell? I live 3 blocks from a Domino's that's encased in bullet-proof glass because of robberies.

It's not you guys, it's trying to argue this shit in general. I'm just so sick of people of who have never walked the walk, but they talk the talk. They have no life experience whatsoever, but they think they get to talk shit because they read some article from some website.

"My friend doesn't give a shit about the Redskin logo."- Me

"Well, actually, the Redskin logo is incredibly demeaning to Native Americans, see this article on Washington Post"- Dude with Sephiroth avatar that never leaves the house

I lose. So says the internet.

I'm a Democrat, and I love being a Democrat. But ideals like "Punching Up" and "Privilege" are the Worst Fucking Things that this party has adopted. Please stop

Syph

« Reply #2925 on: February 08, 2017, 01:16:53 AM »
aint no such things as halfway crooks
XO

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #2926 on: February 08, 2017, 01:53:52 AM »
The Democrat party did not adopt privilege, which is a word I always misspell despite my privilege ambiguity constantly making me question it.

I struggled a little today because I overshared with my gf that I saw a girl who looked totally exactly like her when I went to Walmart except with a pound of makeup and a short Asian dude. You know that feeling when you say something stupid to somebody and you don't know what you expected them to say but then they tell you they wish you took a picture of a random girl? Yup. I then proceeded to politely not notice a domestic dispute happening in the parking lot. Now I got that feeling after you make some stupid mistakes with no consequences and then feel like you're about to punked by karma.

Anyways, Bebs I'm sure your poo chutes are wonderful. Are they gonna do some interventional radiology just to get a better look? I've had so much general anesthesia (can't spell that either) before that I know the risk is minimal but medical stuff can feel weird and scary no matter how much experience you got.

Shrew

« Reply #2927 on: February 08, 2017, 02:13:13 AM »
The Democrat party did not adopt privilege, which is a word I always misspell despite my privilege ambiguity constantly making me question it.

https://vimeo.com/13941673

« Reply #2928 on: February 08, 2017, 08:26:19 AM »
Since you asked:

Can someone explain to me why it's verboten to use the experience of my friends, friends who are minorities, as an example when discussing something? Yeah, I know. "Some of my best friends are black." Or some other group. But they are my friends, my coworkers, and even my family. I'm a cac.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/anecdotal

But I'm living this shit along side them, I got first hand experience, I'm not just linking some article from Wikipedia. I know them, anything that happens to the happens to me. You guys like Taco Bell? I live 3 blocks from a Domino's that's encased in bullet-proof glass because of robberies.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/appeal-to-authority

It's not you guys, it's trying to argue this shit in general. I'm just so sick of people of who have never walked the walk, but they talk the talk. They have no life experience whatsoever, but they think they get to talk shit because they read some article from some website.

"Well, actually, the Redskin logo is incredibly demeaning to Native Americans, see this article on Washington Post"- Dude with Sephiroth avatar that never leaves the house

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #2929 on: February 08, 2017, 07:44:33 PM »
Last night my grandfather died. It was sort of expected that he didn't have long since he was very old and getting sick a lot. It sucks.  :(

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2930 on: February 08, 2017, 08:08:27 PM »
Sorry to hear that. Condolences.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2931 on: February 08, 2017, 08:35:12 PM »
Sorry man

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2932 on: February 08, 2017, 08:39:41 PM »
That sucks man.
que

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2933 on: February 09, 2017, 05:17:42 AM »
Condolences.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2934 on: February 11, 2017, 07:31:09 PM »
Forgot the date of my friends birthday and I knew it was around mine but I thought it was like a week before mine so I ask another friend and its two days after mine.  Now I realize me asking her reads like a 'hey remember its my birthday coming up'.  Being socially inept :piss2

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2935 on: February 11, 2017, 10:07:12 PM »
No it doesn't.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #2936 on: February 11, 2017, 11:50:03 PM »
Yeah now you just sound like a guy overthinking things on a message board

Shrew

« Reply #2937 on: February 15, 2017, 02:19:34 AM »
Since you asked:

Can someone explain to me why it's verboten to use the experience of my friends, friends who are minorities, as an example when discussing something? Yeah, I know. "Some of my best friends are black." Or some other group. But they are my friends, my coworkers, and even my family. I'm a cac.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/anecdotal

But I'm living this shit along side them, I got first hand experience, I'm not just linking some article from Wikipedia. I know them, anything that happens to the happens to me. You guys like Taco Bell? I live 3 blocks from a Domino's that's encased in bullet-proof glass because of robberies.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/appeal-to-authority

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman

Cool dictionary links. Like life experience works like that.

Shrew

« Reply #2938 on: February 15, 2017, 03:36:57 AM »
aint no such things as halfway crooks

It's easy to post links

They know not what they do

PlayDat

« Reply #2939 on: February 19, 2017, 01:38:39 AM »
Cool dictionary links. Like life experience works like that.

There certainly is value in real life experience, however human beings tend to overemphasize what they’ve seen first hand on these sorts of issues.  I think what Samson was getting at by listing the fallacies is how easy it is to fall prey to our inclinations toward irrationality.  They preclude us from seeing the bigger picture sometimes.  You can’t draw any conclusions about what a group of people as a whole feel like based on what some of your friends in that group have to say.  Sometimes their views will reflect the majority, sometimes they won’t, but it’s unscientific to determine whether something harms them collectively based solely on your friends’ input.

This example is interesting.  If your (presumably Native American) friend “doesn’t give a shit” about the Redskins logo, then surely they wouldn’t mind if it were changed to something that didn’t upset a lot of people?  Surveys have been done aimed at gauging how Native Americans specifically feel about the name.  Of course, since Native Americans make up such a small portion of the US population, it’s really tough to get a good sample.  Those who find the team’s name and logo racist seem to be the minority, but given how few people there are to question as well as the trouble with self-identification among respondents, I have my doubts about any results.  Full disclosure: I’m neither Native American nor an NFL fan.  Designing a brand around an ethnicity does strike me as dehumanizing, but I’m careful about telling people what should offend them. 

I'm a Democrat, and I love being a Democrat. But ideals like "Punching Up" and "Privilege" are the Worst Fucking Things that this party has adopted. Please stop

You appear to be conflating the Democratic party with progressivism.  Conservatives delight in throwing the party’s ugly history back in our faces.  I’m registered as a Democrat solely for the ability to vote in closed primaries.  Membership isn’t something I take pride in.  All politicians are snakes.

Privilege isn’t an ideal, but rather a way of framing facts widely agreed upon by social scientists.  It’s one of those things that never should have become a partisan issue, yet here we are.

“Punching Up” is a term I’ve mostly heard in the context of comedy.  Is there another way it’s commonly used?  Within the comedic realm, “punching down” does bum me out.  Not only is it mean spirited, it’s also a really lazy tactic.  It requires no talent.  Watching someone use their position of power to pick on the downtrodden, thereby upholding a harmful status quo totally sucks.