Author Topic: Shenmue III OT - I CAN believe that it's bad!  (Read 153083 times)

Himu

Amazing interview with Ryo's Japanese voice actor. He actually learned Bajiquan!

Shame that they think English speakers can't handle Japanese with English subs and dubbed over Ryo's VOICE ACTOR but oh well. AMAZING interview!
IYKYK

Tasty

Don't you mean SEIYUU :expert

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
I prefer CV.
©@©™

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
Wait, he says 10 million for an open world game?  :neogaf
vin

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
to be fair, he did say they were gonna reuse a bunch of assets from the old games. but even still I see no fuckin where he can pull off a game like this for such a low amount of money unless he's using enslaved Korean programmers.
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
brb going to tell Polygon that yu suzuki is using enslaved Korean programmers
pcp

Himu

When he says open-world game, he's talking about the scope of Shenmue 1, likely even less because it doesn't take place in an urban environment. Not the scope of say, GTAV or a Just Cause or something.
IYKYK

Tasty

Guys guys guys, Unreal Engine 4 is like a magic wand. All Yu Suzuki has to do is wave it and he can make the same scope as Shenmue 2 cost 20x less.  :clap

Himu

Shenmue II cost about~ 20 million. So half of that is 10 million.

:ufup
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
[space reserved for "I told you so" trolling when a shoddy product is finally released]
yar

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
That's gonna be a few years from now...
Hi

Steve Contra

the eventual 2019 Shenmue 3 visual novel is going to be great

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Joking aside I don't see how they can possibly release anything that resembles the originals with that budget. This whole thing stinks of Sony manipulating this event to dominate the news cycle at e3 without having to care about the final product.
[close]
vin

Himu

the eventual 2019 Shenmue 3 visual novel is going to be great

Joking aside I don't see how they can possibly release anything that resembles the originals with that budget. This whole thing stinks of Sony manipulating this event to dominate the news cycle at e3 without having to care about the final product.
[close]

We will see. Sega has given them everything from 1, 2, and I believe Online to use, Unreal 4 eases development for developers, the game is likely much smaller in scale compared to 1 and 2 due to the setting. Shenmue 1, 2, the Saturn prototype, and changing systems all cost 47 million combined, but they were also pioneers in a lot of areas in gaming. So that's going to make it even more expensive due to the time. What they did during those times they did without a reference. The team is now 14 years more experienced, and open-world games have taken off, given them much actual references. I think the 10 million figure is feasible. But all this does not account for pay. Witcher 3 managed to do what it did with 15 million. We will see.
IYKYK

Tasty

I was more commenting on the original KS goal which Shenmue fans were saying was totally doable because of UE4. :P

Steve Contra

Also any assets they plan on reusing aren't "free" in anyway.  I can't imagine the expense in trying to get an animation rig built in 1998 (and the exported animations and frankly anything else) to work on a new engine in 2015 but I'm guessing it's "a lot".
vin

Himu

I was more commenting on the original KS goal which Shenmue fans were saying was totally doable because of UE4. :P

Who said this? On gaf? Morons. :neogaf
IYKYK

Himu

Anyways, I'm just really positive and happy. I haven't been this positive about games in years! I still am considering getting a ps4 simply due to that Sony conference even though it's not necessary because Shenmue 3 and FF7r are coming to PC. I just feel that Sony should be rewarded for being so awesome. :tocry
IYKYK

Himu

Over the past few days I have been replaying Shenmue II disc 4.

I have a save specifically for when I want to replay it because I consider it one of gamings biggest milestones and achievements.

Before, it always made me sad, but this time I did it for the first time with the knowledge we are getting Shenmue III, and it made me really, really happy. I was happy seeing all of these questions and stuff that I may actually get answers to. Shenhua talks about the Shenmue tree, animals and life in Guilin, country livin', her adoptive father, the old lady who taught her how to sew, urbanism vs naturalism, all this stuff that's hinted in 3 you think you'll never see ever. And we're fucking getting it. We're actually going to get it! :hyper Every time I played this section of the game I had a sense of melancholy because I knew this was it and the last time you'd see Shenmue, but for the first time I could sit back and enjoy it in full without pressure that I will never get answers to my questions or get to see all this cool shit Shenhua was talking about.

I highly suggest everyone who has played II and felt similar to do the same. What an amazing experience! :lawd

Life is amazing. :tocry

IYKYK

seagrams hotsauce

Stumbled across this today and this seems as appropriate a place to put it as anywhere. I'm tempted but every time I preorder vinyl it gets delayed for three months
http://mondotees.com/collections/music/products/shenmue-selects

Himu

yup i'm getting it
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron

At 3:15

ὕβρις

Himu

IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Awesome Japan, in charge of the KS, are currently being burned at the stake by fans. Not unwarranted, mind you, but beyond the fact that changing them now will only disturb this campaign more, they may not be the sole source of problems. To be honest, I would have expected way more videos, images, vertical slices, a way more compelling treatment presenting the core ideas of the game, and that doesn't sound so preposterous considering the resume of Yu Suzuki, the ambition of the project and how long it's been in the oven. This would actually go a long way to convince me that the project has a clear direction. Right now the impression (which may just be that, an impression) is that they -including Yu Suzuki- are way in over their head.

Maybe I'm setting too high a standard, because Bloodstained doesn't give me the impression to have presented a lot more actual content (the presentation is way more slick though) during campaign ? But really, would the KS page pass muster as a game pitch in a "real" "professional" setting ?
ὕβρις

Himu

The biggest problem with AJ is their complete lack of social media presence and fan involvement and trying to make Shenmue known to people who don't know what Shenmue is. But, yeah, I agree with you.

Sorry for bursting at you yesterday, had a bad day. I was being a jerk, sorry.
IYKYK

Himu

http://www.twitch.tv/shenmuedojo

Streaming will continue on the Dojo tonight, same time as usual, 10pm EST.
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Well, we all have bad days and can relate. Also I can be an opinionated basterd. So don't worry too much  :)
ὕβρις

Himu

Re: The REAL Shenmue III thread (PS4 PHYSICAL COPY! PLEDGE NOW!!!)
« Reply #446 on: July 03, 2015, 12:40:51 PM »
SHENMUE 3 PS4 PHYSICAL COPY REWARD

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1283532

PLEDGE NOW NO EXCUSES
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #447 on: July 03, 2015, 05:53:54 PM »
But Himu...the placeholder art is ugly.  :'( People should revoke their pledges!

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #448 on: July 04, 2015, 12:37:35 AM »
That Awesome Japan apology  :lol
ὕβρις

Himu

« Reply #449 on: July 04, 2015, 02:28:36 AM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=170828960&postcount=12245

Q: I have a #YouaskYu question. Suzuki-sama, at $5 million, exactly HOW open world will Shenmue 3 be, compared to Shenmue 1/2? Arigatou!

YS: I'm expecting something similar to Dobuita in terms of scale.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGG
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #450 on: July 04, 2015, 10:06:50 AM »
Yesterday I was never as proud to be a gamer as then. The Shenmue community rallied in positivity. We made a goal to extend our pledges 30 dollars or more yesterday, and the KS curators heard our cries and helped us. Over 1200 new backers, over 330k made yesterday, a potentially damaging Kotaku article that possibly helped turn the media attention to something more positive, great new tiers, evdry person who loves Shenmue was giving it their all yesterday despite all the adversity, to help Yu and his team out and we have raised 4.2 million dollars. I'm just really proud of the community right now, what we have achieved (almost second highest kickstart game ever, only 10k left, and with over 20k less backers I might add).

I even did a monster stream on Twitch that last six hours in celebration and I never play games that long anymore.

Shenmue fans we got this. This game and this KS and the community have restored my faith in gaming despite the awfulness surrounding it.

I mean

« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 10:29:06 AM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #451 on: July 05, 2015, 04:12:09 AM »
Fantastic pieces on Shenmue's uniqueness:

And from Eurogamer:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-07-05-what-makes-shenmue-2s-open-world-so-special
IYKYK

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #452 on: July 05, 2015, 01:08:01 PM »
Get them to do an X1 version and I'm in. I'm not buying a ps4 for TLG and Shenmue 3.

Himu

« Reply #453 on: July 06, 2015, 01:27:02 AM »

:jawalrus
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

Himu

« Reply #455 on: July 06, 2015, 02:16:59 AM »
Hard to hate. He's not wrong. It really could elevate their school. Definitely a risk, but I don't see what's wrong with giving back to what inspired you to do something like that to begin with.

I too would like to visit Guilin.
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #456 on: July 06, 2015, 02:25:52 AM »
Hard to hate. He's not wrong. It really could elevate their school. Definitely a risk, but I don't see what's wrong with giving back to what inspired you to do something like that to begin with.

I too would like to visit Guilin.

I don't hate, I just find it's a lot of money to throw for something that could provide little tangible results. Shenmue fans are both admirable and scary in a way.

EDIT : Also, as a tangent, a part of that money is going to KS pockets. For a sum like that I would have contacted YsNet without any middleman and negotiated directly.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 02:29:58 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Himu

« Reply #457 on: July 06, 2015, 02:28:55 AM »
Eh, well it's not like he donated 20k himself. It was split between him and his brother. If I had the cash, I'd do the same. I'm stuck with the 120 tier, but if I could, I would donate 500 or 1000 easy. Shenmue isn't like other games, hence the passion. I'm pretty sure the fanbase is the only reason why we are even getting III and Shenmue hasn't been forgotten in obscurity. Considering the niche appeal, I find that pretty cool how people are willing to donate 20k to it. It really shows the games emotional power it has on its fans.

They wanted the dinner, that's why they did the pledge and not via correspondence.
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #458 on: July 16, 2015, 08:00:19 AM »

Himu

« Reply #459 on: July 16, 2015, 11:04:34 AM »
I loved that trailer. The first trailer was really rough but this one despite being early has a strong sense of art direction. It recreates a fan favorite scene from II, and has the spirit of Shenmue in it. The music helps a lot as the song is a classic Shenmue song and music is a huge part of the series experience as it transports you into another place. Ryo's stoic personality can be seen through the animation as well, which is my favorite part, because all of the characters behave and walk and carry themselves differently, integral to their personality and I was worried that flavor was lost. Even the cheesy booty zoom is Shenmue as fuck and got a good laugh out of it. That trailer does things and stirs emotions. The fact they managed to do it without funding with limited staff because they haven't even started hiring yet, gives me even more forth in this product that it will be something special.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #461 on: July 16, 2015, 01:04:59 PM »
???
IYKYK

qq more

« Reply #462 on: July 16, 2015, 01:05:03 PM »
Just backed $100. Pretty excited for this tbh
ok

Himu

« Reply #463 on: July 16, 2015, 01:37:59 PM »
I backed 120.

I need that capsule toy for my Shenmue collection. If it's Chai, I riot.
IYKYK

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
Re: The REAL Shenmue III thread (FINAL TWO DAYS!)
« Reply #465 on: July 16, 2015, 03:05:29 PM »
I'm in for 80.

Physical copy with (I presume) in-engine flashbacks to earlier games. Even still I don't expect this game to come out even near to its planned release date. I look forward to this thread being bumped in 2017, 18, 19...

Himu

« Reply #466 on: July 16, 2015, 05:48:46 PM »
I am streaming from now until late night and most of tomorrow to celebrate the KS ending.

www.twitch.tv/shenmuedojo
IYKYK

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #467 on: July 16, 2015, 09:18:25 PM »
???

(Image removed from quote.)

Sans-serif. Not even once.

I realize the g has a serif.
[close]

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #468 on: July 16, 2015, 09:23:30 PM »
I loved that trailer. The first trailer was really rough but this one despite being early has a strong sense of art direction. It recreates a fan favorite scene from II, and has the spirit of Shenmue in it. The music helps a lot as the song is a classic Shenmue song and music is a huge part of the series experience as it transports you into another place. Ryo's stoic personality can be seen through the animation as well, which is my favorite part, because all of the characters behave and walk and carry themselves differently, integral to their personality and I was worried that flavor was lost. Even the cheesy booty zoom is Shenmue as fuck and got a good laugh out of it. That trailer does things and stirs emotions. The fact they managed to do it without funding with limited staff because they haven't even started hiring yet, gives me even more forth in this product that it will be something special.

I laughed aloud at that booty-zoom as well. I was like, oh, c'mon.

Himu

« Reply #469 on: July 16, 2015, 10:17:08 PM »
TODAY AND TOMORROW ARE CRUCIAL FOR THE FUTURE OF SHENMUE.

Do what you can!!!

« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 10:22:14 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #470 on: July 16, 2015, 11:03:14 PM »
Finally got paid so I just pledged for the $250 collector's edition  :-[
^_^

Himu

« Reply #471 on: July 16, 2015, 11:05:56 PM »
The next 24 hours is a fuck you to all Shenmue haters everywhere.

Despite a half assed ks campaign handled by morons, being FAR less known in gaming, HUNDREDS of articles spreading misinformation on why you shouldn't support Shenmue III kickstarter, it will go on to become the highest backed game kickstarter of all time and set a new record despite people telling us for over a decade that no one wants nor cares about Shenmue. Far more well known and celebrated franchises and creators have been surpassed and after tomorrow no one will be able to deny Shenmue, its fans, or continue to treat it like a meme despite being the great game franchise of all time.

Eat it.

:bow
IYKYK

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #472 on: July 17, 2015, 12:31:43 AM »
:clap well said :clap

Himu

« Reply #473 on: July 17, 2015, 01:05:26 AM »
To remind you of anyone who feels my reaction is not justified, here is what Shenmue's status was just a year ago.

:piss :piss2

Eat it. Choke on it.

IYKYK

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #474 on: July 17, 2015, 01:34:48 AM »
Oh wow it's only a bit more than 1k away from surpassing Bloodstained and it's not even really in its final stretch yet. Y'all are some passionate mofos. :bow
Hi

Himu

« Reply #475 on: July 17, 2015, 08:39:34 AM »
AHAHAHAHAA

IYKYK

Himu

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yakuza has more mainstream appeal they said.

Shenmue III Kickstarter has made more money than all Yakuza games released in the west combined :rofl

AHAHAHAHAHAHAA
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
I don't know what you're talking about. As one of the forum's resident Shenmue haters, getting more Shenmue to hate on can only be a good thing. Coupled with the fact that with the budget the game will have available to it, it is almost certain to be a let down in scope from the first two, this is like Christmas.
yar

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Where's the $10 Million? Obviously Shenmue fans don't love Shenmue enough to fund a non-gimped version of Shenmue 3.  :'(
©@©™

Himu

AHAHAHA the back tracking
IYKYK