Author Topic: Shenmue III OT - I CAN believe that it's bad!  (Read 153368 times)

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
Re: The REAL Shenmue III thread - $6,333,295! WE DID IT!
« Reply #540 on: July 17, 2015, 10:11:01 PM »
Now where's that MML3 Kickstarter :hitler

And don't give me that "Red Ash" crap. :comeon

who in gods name could have hope for red ash after we've all seen how number 9s development has been?
pcp

Barraco Barner

« Reply #541 on: July 17, 2015, 10:12:17 PM »
Yu Suzuki would have only raised a miserly $6,333,266 if it were not for my charitable heart.

You're welcome.

Himu

« Reply #542 on: July 17, 2015, 10:13:29 PM »

IYKYK

qq more

« Reply #543 on: July 17, 2015, 11:26:05 PM »
Now where's that MML3 Kickstarter :hitler

And don't give me that "Red Ash" crap. :comeon

who in gods name could have hope for red ash after we've all seen how number 9s development has been?
Yeah seriously. I am a huge fan of the Mega Man series and even I didn't even bother with Red Ash, despite wanting MML3 so bad.

Fuckin' Inafune. The whole thing about MN09 has become a mess.
ok

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #544 on: July 17, 2015, 11:30:53 PM »
I kickstarted MN9 ages ago but haven't really been paying much attention to its development. Apart from playing a bit at TooManyGames, and it seemed decent enough. What happened with it?
^_^

« Reply #545 on: July 17, 2015, 11:59:24 PM »
wow..... speackless. this is a great day in history. i want to thank the fans. i want to thank the lord, the most gracious the most merciful

yu suzuki is coming for wigs with shenmue 3.

ryo hazuki will come out of the cave. the icon         the legend.

and 2 all the haters. u truly thot.

"it was a failure"
"its boring"
"bad va"

u tried it.

let me say 1 thing:

6 million american dollars

Icon A

« Reply #546 on: July 18, 2015, 12:03:19 AM »
how many college tuitions could be paid with 6 million dollars

« Reply #547 on: July 18, 2015, 12:06:43 AM »
how many college tuitions could be paid with 6 million dollars

still not enough for you to learn how to be a normal human being you worthless scum

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #548 on: July 18, 2015, 12:22:51 AM »
Ryo

Is

Getting

Out

Of

That

F
U
C
K
I
N
G

Cave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :preach

What if the whole game takes place in the cave tho? :hitler
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #549 on: July 18, 2015, 12:25:04 AM »
Beating Shenmue 2 now. On disc 4.

www.twitch.tv/shenmuedojo
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #550 on: July 18, 2015, 02:59:41 AM »
This post :brazilcry

Congrats everyone. We did it. :) Only just returning to this thread now but I've been hovering over the Shenmue threads, the Kickstarter page and Yu's twitch stream all night. Pressed for time tonight so only just now getting a chance to respond.

I want to stress just how much of a ridiculous and unexpected success this actually is. Over the coming days we're going to see waves of negativity from those less informed than the awesome gamers that inhabit this forum to the tune of things like "oh no 10 million wasn't reached so epic fail" when this statement and proclamations that echo the same sentiment are flat-out wrong. Let's put this in to context for a second:

Yu Suzuki is a gaming legend whose only equal is Miyamoto. Sony is the number one platform holder who've held the most successful console business of all-time since 1994. Both Yu Suzuki and Sony's third party relations team firmly believed that a possible and realistic goal for Shenmue 3 would be a hard and attainable 2 million. 2 million is the goal that after all their investigative research, all their projected forecasts, all their effort and energy spent in to deriving just how much demand there was for Shenmue was a goal that realistically speaking they believed they might reach to get this game funded.

Together we united as caring and passionate fans and generated 6.3 million; more than three times the amount that people who should theoretically know far better than us thought they could realistically and possibly reach and achieve. Three times the amount that even Sony believed they could realistically hope to achieve. We blew. Their expectations. Out of the water. Yu Suzuki had the most happy and profound smile in that stream, a smile that eventually led to tears because even he was massively stunned and shocked at the ridiculous, far reaching and contagious love for Shenmue that echoed over the vista of the games sphere this past month. He was overwhelmed with happiness and emotion because we went above and beyond even the expectations he held in his most vivid dreams.

Never forget: 2 million was the realistic and achievable target determined by both Yu and a fucking platform holder. We stand today emotionally exhausted, elated that this game is coming and with the highest funded video game Kickstarter of all-time. Shenmue beat every other game there is and beat them by a significant margin. What we achieved was wonderful and to echo other posters here an emotional roller coaster of an experience for everyone involved. This campaign is an epically massive success. Make no mistake, this sentiment is entirely correct. There is no possible argument against this. We have the numbers. We succeeded and we succeeded massively. And if you think this ends here; just wait for the love to continue in to the rivers of time as we push for extra funding and Shenmue HD.

Shenmue 1 and 2 are IMO the most ambient, emotional, atmospheric and immersive games of all-time. Lovingly crafted, beautifully realised, emotionally resonant, truly wonderful experiences that are some of the most special games I've ever experienced in my entire life.

We are getting a sequel to those games. It's not a dream any more, because the dream just became real.
IYKYK

qq more

« Reply #551 on: July 18, 2015, 10:46:11 AM »
Ryo

Is

Getting

Out

Of

That

F
U
C
K
I
N
G

Cave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :preach

What if the whole game takes place in the cave tho? :hitler
Must find cavemen.
ok

Himu

« Reply #552 on: July 18, 2015, 11:22:19 AM »
CAVE SIM
IYKYK

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #553 on: July 18, 2015, 11:30:57 AM »
TBH I'm deathly afraid of Shenmue 3 being a Platonic meditation on the nature of reality. In a cave.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #554 on: July 18, 2015, 12:19:42 PM »

:preach

Himu

« Reply #555 on: July 18, 2015, 12:24:01 PM »
:preach

Got the same email. I can't believe!
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #556 on: July 20, 2015, 03:10:47 PM »
This video is perfection.

IYKYK

Himu

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #559 on: July 22, 2015, 10:26:03 AM »
https://twitter.com/SST_V/status/623686139740712960

:hyper

It's a ringtone.

It's also Sega acknowledging Shenmue and taking advantage of a situation. Despite having a record KS, or the entire situation at all, Sega has yet to comment on Shenmue III at all. Yet they make a pr statement about trying to gain back customer trust. Sega kind of ignores Shenmue at large. For instance, it was left out of Sega's milestones a little while back. They pretend it doesn't exist. So it's more than a ringtone, actually. And could hint that Sega isn't as stupid as we think they are and will ignore the demand for 1 and 2 HD, but since it's Sega - who hates money - even that's not really a guarantee.
IYKYK

Lucretius

« Reply #560 on: July 22, 2015, 10:54:01 AM »
Sega is as stupid as we think they are.
lip

Himu

« Reply #561 on: July 22, 2015, 11:16:33 AM »
:tocry
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #562 on: July 22, 2015, 11:38:09 AM »
Shenmue HD ports being a money maker for Sega might be arguable. If one was to be narrow, all the KS proves is that there's 70k people ready to throw money at Shenmue, how much sales would that translate to ? (The PSN Resident Evil HD remake broke over a million in April 2015, as a point of comparison). Besides if they should ever do that, wouldn't it make more sense to release them closer to Shenmue 3 release ? I guess you could say they could have surfed on the KS buzz too but obviously having a finished product under such delays was probably impossible.
ὕβρις

Himu

« Reply #563 on: July 22, 2015, 11:51:33 AM »
Shenmue 1/2 HD also have problems. In the credits of both games, there's a huge, huge, long list of licenses and stuff that help create the games. So it creates an issue of likely paying for those licenses. It's pretty much rumored what's been holding Shenmue 1/2 HD from being released now. You could infer it would be better to release them closer to the release of III. That said, an announcement isn't the same as a release. If I were Sega, and license issues would bear no trouble, I would do a stagger release. Release 1 in 2016 and and II in 2017.

Things that need to be done for a Shenmue 1/2 HD release:

- Dual analog support, this means right stick for camera
- Better walking controls. II already had better controls by having analog controls. Untanking the controls, or making it smooth to control via analog would be a big help as getting used to the controls is the largest initial barrier in Shenmue 1

I think both of those are requirements.

It also has to be said that REmake is the greatest game remake of all time. It deserves those sales, and it really helps that it had only been Gamecube/Wii exclusive prior to now so not everyone who wanted to play it got to.
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #565 on: July 23, 2015, 12:06:20 AM »
I always read that Shenmue HD ports were more or less done, but is this solid information ? Also, good point on the possible licensing issues.
ὕβρις

Himu

« Reply #566 on: July 23, 2015, 12:09:47 AM »
They are done but again, licensing, and the other DC ports bombed - even JSR - despite demand. So they killed them. Paying for the license and then having the thing bomb? Nawwww.
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #567 on: July 24, 2015, 12:57:39 AM »
They are done...

My question was about the source of this. Is this rooted in anything ?
ὕβρις

Himu

« Reply #568 on: July 24, 2015, 11:35:36 AM »
It was listed on dev xbla.
IYKYK

« Reply #569 on: July 25, 2015, 08:21:41 PM »
This video is perfection.

I really think Shenmue is among the very first 3D games that didn't age completely terribly visually.

Although maybe that's just the nostalgia talking, and if my first games had been on PS1 or 360, I would think completely differently about that.

Himu

« Reply #570 on: July 25, 2015, 10:13:51 PM »
I don't think so. I first played it in 2006 and thought it looked better than next generation games at the time like Oblivion. I find its aesthetic timeless even if some of the textures have aged or the fact the mouths don't actually move, it looks so good and both games have an incredible sense of place. Consider that Shenmue 1 came out two years after Final Fantasy VII.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #571 on: July 25, 2015, 11:34:36 PM »
pc gaming tho
pcp

Himu

« Reply #572 on: July 26, 2015, 12:03:43 AM »
What about it?

IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #573 on: July 26, 2015, 01:27:29 AM »
pc gaming had some good graphics way before Shenmue
pcp

Himu

« Reply #574 on: July 26, 2015, 02:03:13 AM »
Oh. Duh.
IYKYK

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #575 on: July 26, 2015, 05:29:09 PM »
i liked shenmue better when they made it interesting, visually appealing, and playable as sleeping dogs
duc

Himu

« Reply #576 on: July 26, 2015, 05:33:28 PM »
I still haven't played that. I have it on steam but have trouble running it.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #577 on: July 26, 2015, 10:58:13 PM »
it's pretty damn awesome
pcp

« Reply #578 on: July 27, 2015, 10:05:17 AM »
I just remembered how much I hated the ending of Shenmue II back then.

Not only the cliffhanger, but also that it turned to fantasy to a degree that wasn't really evident before.

The main reason I loved Shenmue was how real a lot of it felt, and floating swords didn't really fit into that...

I've mostly accepted it since, I guess.

Himu

« Reply #579 on: July 27, 2015, 12:45:58 PM »
I suggest replaying disc 4 now that it's announced.

I thought disc 4 was one of the most amazing story accomplishments in a game. But it was also sad because that's when the game was about to end and a reminder that we weren't going to be getting III.

But after III announcement it's a preview for III and it's even more amazing.

Shenmue has always had fantasy. Shenhua talks about a prophecy that will be fulfilled between her and some man in the east. Ryo dreams of a foreign girl the very day he gets the Phoenix Mirror. He dreams of prophecy and destiny and they don't even meet in the first game, showing just how large in scope the journey he is getting into is. I'm pretty fine with the magic because it was always hinted, and the world of Shenmue is one with subject low fantasy anyways. Jianmin touches a tree and a rush of leaves fall. When Xiuying is practicing Bajiquan the ground shakes. Baji is known for its ground shaking style irl, but in Shenmue it almost seems hinted at as literal. Shenhua can recall the memories of ancestors, use Ki, and it's hinted she is reincarnated, we don't know.

There's even these scenes in I:

I've never had a big issue with the way the fantasy is presented, because it does so in a far more elegant manner than other games. In other games, magic is innate. In Shenmue, it's tied to myths and prophecy that is subdued. Ryo has prophecy dreams but they could easily just be taken as dreams, and he doesn't even remember them. I've always liked that. I've also always enjoyed how it manages to mix Chinese cosmology and religion into the story without going overboard, again, like other games with fantasy. I'd say Shenmue's low fantasy is probably one of the best story accomplishments in a game in how it portrays it with an actual sense of mystery and wonder.

Also, if you rewatch II's ending you'll notice the sword doesn't float by itself. That's Shenhua using her Ki to make it float.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 01:18:47 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Kara

« Reply #580 on: July 27, 2015, 02:03:31 PM »
Also, if you rewatch II's ending you'll notice the sword doesn't float by itself. That's Shenhua using her Ki to make it float.

:snoop

Himu

« Reply #581 on: July 27, 2015, 02:12:00 PM »
:lol

Just clarifying. A lot of people actually think the sword is floating by itself. For real.
IYKYK

« Reply #582 on: July 27, 2015, 08:33:42 PM »
Fucking love the graphics still.

In many ways, there's still nothing like it.

Himu

« Reply #583 on: July 27, 2015, 08:45:38 PM »
Agreed. When I replayed 1 last month there was this lady with this wonderfully extravagant and detailed peacoat. It's just a random npc in the office you work at. I never realized how detailed her clothes are until now.

Look at that fucking SCARF.

And it's a random NPC with no importance towards the story and look at all that detail on her her clothes. :lawd
IYKYK

« Reply #584 on: July 27, 2015, 09:29:28 PM »
those types of things are so amazing and its hard to explain to people why shenmue is just so fucking crazy. like a shop u will probably never enter is actually fully modeled inside with all completely unique textures and shit. its just crazy

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #585 on: July 27, 2015, 09:45:42 PM »
itt gafthink
duc

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #586 on: July 27, 2015, 09:46:08 PM »
you brehs check out the order 1886? it has some amazing models and textures
duc

Kara

« Reply #587 on: July 27, 2015, 10:07:08 PM »
It's 2015, why would I play a Sony exclusive?

Himu

« Reply #588 on: July 27, 2015, 10:08:15 PM »
I think this sequence of posts perfectly highlights how pathetic Shenmue haters are. They can't let it go. They have to bomb into a happy, positive thread because they prefer playing games made for pedophiles instead. :yeshrug Truly a shame.

those types of things are so amazing and its hard to explain to people why shenmue is just so fucking crazy. like a shop u will probably never enter is actually fully modeled inside with all completely unique textures and shit. its just crazy

One of my favorite things about the games is how many hidden things there are. It's impossible to see or do everything on one play through.

For my Shenmue II stream, I did something I ddn't even know was in the game: getting your own duck. Now, I knew about duck races a long time ago. But that was just regular ol' betting. But you can unlock your own duck to race in the duck races that you control. It took a while, because the initial stats are shit, but after enough leveling up you can win the race! It gets even tougher, though, because after you win, you race against mallards and ducklings that are way, way faster than the normal white ducks you usually race with.
IYKYK

« Reply #589 on: July 27, 2015, 10:23:52 PM »
 :(

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #590 on: July 28, 2015, 09:45:30 AM »
Don't let the haters get you down Himuro. Everyone enjoys different aspects of games.

It's 2015, why would I buy a MS console?

More accurate.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #591 on: July 28, 2015, 01:32:34 PM »
It's 2015, why would I play a Sony exclusive?

Cuz Nintendo and Microsoft won't certify Darling Pantsu Raider ~Desu Desu My Heart~
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #592 on: July 28, 2015, 02:09:14 PM »
Why would Nintendo certify a competitor to Fire Emblem? :hitler

Fifstar

« Reply #593 on: July 28, 2015, 03:15:28 PM »
Don't let the haters get you down Himuro. Everyone enjoys different aspects of games.

It's 2015, why would I buy a console?

More accurate.

Yeah
Gulp

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #594 on: July 29, 2015, 01:38:01 AM »
dp

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #595 on: July 29, 2015, 01:38:37 AM »

Himu, what's the easiest and/or cheapest way to play Shenmue II? I've been trying to bootleg it and it's a pain in the ass.

Himu

« Reply #596 on: July 29, 2015, 02:07:59 AM »
Emulate it.

I'll send you the details via pm if you're interested.
IYKYK

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #597 on: July 31, 2015, 12:20:07 AM »
Please do. I've tried and failed a few times and I appreciate any tips.

Himu

« Reply #598 on: July 31, 2015, 12:51:52 AM »
Pm sent
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #599 on: July 31, 2015, 04:38:11 PM »
i liked shenmue better when they made it interesting, visually appealing, and playable as sleeping dogs

You mean Yakuza.