Author Topic: Shenmue III OT - I CAN believe that it's bad!  (Read 153228 times)

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Re: The REAL Shenmue III thread - $6,333,295! WE DID IT!
« Reply #600 on: July 31, 2015, 06:15:54 PM »
i liked shenmue better when they made it interesting, visually appealing, and playable as sleeping dogs

You mean Yakuza.

No, he meant Sleeping Dogs.
yar

Himu

« Reply #601 on: July 31, 2015, 06:50:21 PM »
Shenmue 1 and 2 are pretty great. Much better than those games. :smug
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #602 on: July 31, 2015, 07:17:10 PM »
Yup.

It's understandable to want to compare Sleeping Dogs and Yakuza to Shenmue because, I mean, how they top those two games? They can't. But it's time to let things go.

Like Elsa.
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #603 on: July 31, 2015, 07:18:04 PM »
"You know what this game could use, is a boring ass narrative and a forklift"
yar

Himu

« Reply #604 on: July 31, 2015, 07:27:50 PM »
It's really understandable to want games to have the more long paced style of Shenmue. Every other game is about thrills all the time! While Shenmue is about slow build up and ebbs and flows, something other games just can't understand or appreciate! It's perfectly understandable to be asking those questions and I completely agree with you.
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #605 on: July 31, 2015, 07:50:01 PM »
Shoving a guy's face into a fan in Sleeping Dogs was more satisfying than anything that happened in either Shenmue game. Shit, ALL of the things that happened in both games.
yar

Himu

« Reply #606 on: July 31, 2015, 07:50:31 PM »
Shenmue III kick off meeting. It's happening! :hyper

Suzuki-san even put our wishes on a shrine.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #607 on: July 31, 2015, 07:59:11 PM »
I was just joking though.  I really loved Shenmue games as a teen.  I think they may have been my first sandbox games and it was awesome exploring the world.  I also really liked the combat since Virtua Fighter was my jam and it was like a dumbed down VF.  Plus it had that asian flavor and I was a bit weaboo-ish.

But I didn't give this kickstarter a dollar because I don't trust nostalgia and don't believe in developers who are unproven in recent years regardless of what they did ages ago.

Yakuza is good/bad/good/bad cycle between games and could use being a bit more real sandbox, and Sleeping Dogs was awesome but fuck that MMO shit.

Just my $.02

Himu

« Reply #608 on: July 31, 2015, 08:09:38 PM »
Shoving a guy's face into a fan in Sleeping Dogs was more satisfying than anything that happened in either Shenmue game. Shit, ALL of the things that happened in both games.

I agree that it makes a lot of sense to say this knowing that you have not played Shenmue II. I also agree that pushing a man's head in a fan is much better than fighting 70 dudes in one long uninterrupted fight. I also agree that pushing a guys head into a fan is much better than being handcuffed to another guy Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid as you're chased by gangsters in a crime filled city literally made of shit in one Walled City Kowloon. I also agree that pushing a guys head in a fan is much better than being chased by a cheeseburger with a chainsaw.

I also agree that Shenmue has absolutely zero anything badass in it, because I only really played it for ten minutes, and couldn't be assed to actually learn to appreciate and play it because I have ADHD and every video game needs to be the same way, with the same style, with the same pacing and that Saints Row IV is a good game and not disappointing dog shit.

A gif of something not badass happening in Shenmue. I mean, come on Ryo, why aren't pushing a guys head in a fan?

I also agree you should keep posting in this thread.
IYKYK

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #609 on: July 31, 2015, 08:49:45 PM »
Four wude stylee. :whew

Himu

« Reply #610 on: August 01, 2015, 03:46:34 AM »
Four wude stylee. :whew

Like water, my friend.

IYKYK

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #611 on: August 01, 2015, 04:11:02 AM »
Himu annihilating the haters left and right itt.  :whoo

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #612 on: August 05, 2015, 12:49:07 AM »
But it's hilarious how she got her undies in a twist when I pointed out how it was lame to hate on Red Dead Redemption when she hadn't even played it. Sure, this is fair.  ::)

Himu

« Reply #613 on: August 05, 2015, 01:01:27 AM »
Eh? Did I really hate on RDR? I'm pretty sure the more accurate word was skeptical, and after GTAIV that seemed pretty smart to do. But even if you're right, when it comes to brass tacks, I gave RDR a fair shot and I will admit I'm wrong. I certainly wouldn't be hating on an RDR sequel thread, after a 14 year absence. However, I don't think my skepticism was at all misplaced. I'm pretty sure the conversation was more like "I'm skeptical RDR is good. GTAIV kinda sucked :yeshrug" "It's good" "I don't believe you" "IT'S FUCKING GOOD" "I DON'T WANNA BELIEVE YOU" "FINE THEN, BUT IT'S GOOD" "Woah, this is good you're right" "I TOLD YOU :ufup"

Hardly what you could consider hate, but prove me wrong. I've been wrong before and I will be wrong again.
IYKYK

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #614 on: August 05, 2015, 01:08:36 AM »
Judge yourself without conceit and do not show moves thoughtlessly.

Himu

« Reply #615 on: August 05, 2015, 01:19:07 AM »
:lol you and this Wude stuff
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #616 on: August 05, 2015, 01:27:08 AM »
Eh? Did I really hate on RDR? I'm pretty sure the more accurate word was skeptical, and after GTAIV that seemed pretty smart to do. But even if you're right, when it comes to brass tacks, I gave RDR a fair shot and I will admit I'm wrong. I certainly wouldn't be hating on an RDR sequel thread, after a 14 year absence. However, I don't think my skepticism was at all misplaced. I'm pretty sure the conversation was more like "I'm skeptical RDR is good. GTAIV kinda sucked :yeshrug" "It's good" "I don't believe you" "IT'S FUCKING GOOD" "I DON'T WANNA BELIEVE YOU" "FINE THEN, BUT IT'S GOOD" "Woah, this is good you're right" "I TOLD YOU :ufup"

Hardly what you could consider hate, but prove me wrong. I've been wrong before and I will be wrong again.

One of these days I will read through the RDR thread and find it, but I recall that you were pretty annoyingly certain about how crappy Grand Theft Horse was going to be, and were loud about it all the way until you actually played it. I am glad that you eventually decided to play it, and enjoyed it.

Himu

« Reply #617 on: August 05, 2015, 01:32:14 AM »
I already found it.

http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=34900.0

It was not hate at all. It was a passing statement and you somehow thought it was a judgement on the game itself when it really wasn't. I'm pretty sure you are remembering things wrong. I liked the original Red Dead, had no problem with Grand Theft Horse, and I have always been an advocate for different settings in games. I think you are perhaps thinking of someone else.

I mean, my first post on RDR thread first page was:

Looks amazing.

:bow R* :bow2

You need to let this go, friend. I was never down on RDR as you think I was.

Be brave and stay calm to make the right decision.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 01:37:12 AM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #618 on: August 05, 2015, 02:00:22 AM »
Thanks for finding that!

I don't think you read the whole exchange; I understand that you didn't hate something that you hadn't even tried, but you were very fond of extrapolating from other people's impressions to make suppositions about what made the game compelling while steadfastly ignoring what several posters (including myself) were telling you about the game. I'm not sure why I found it so frustrating at that time, but perhaps after disagreements in this thread you have some empathy for my situation.

I'd also forgotten about Third, and what horrible taste he had in games.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #619 on: August 05, 2015, 02:01:46 AM »
Oh, man. That whole exchange was FIVE years ago.  :-\

Himu

« Reply #620 on: August 05, 2015, 02:03:24 AM »
You aren't allowed to mention that part but you did anyways :maf
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #621 on: August 05, 2015, 02:09:24 AM »
I don't find frustration with the stuff in the thread at all, I'm used to it when comes to it and Shenmue. Being a Shenmue fan in itself is a battle with frustration. In any case, I still agree with my original assessment: that RDR is a tighter GTAIV in a western setting. I don't see how that's a slight on the game at all. In many ways it is GTAIV done right and expands upon many things that were originally in that game and does so in a more creative and memorable manner. You may disagree with that, but I have always felt that way about the game. That doesn't mean I dislike it at all - on the contrary in fact.

Regarding the empathy remark, that was only one thread for RDR and I bought the game a mere month later. The people in this thread have been trolling my Shenmue fanhood for years. Even then, it's a false equivalence.

But that's not too bad because it allows us to have some fuckery. It's just for fun, and I'm not overly frustrated.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 02:18:55 AM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Kara

« Reply #622 on: August 05, 2015, 02:32:55 AM »
Regarding the empathy remark, that was only one thread for RDR and I bought the game a mere month later.

To act without hesitation, to do what is right.

Himu

« Reply #623 on: August 05, 2015, 02:36:09 AM »
:dead
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #624 on: August 05, 2015, 02:43:35 AM »
I don't find frustration with the stuff in the thread at all, I'm used to it when comes to it and Shenmue. Being a Shenmue fan in itself is a battle with frustration. In any case, I still agree with my original assessment: that RDR is a tighter GTAIV in a western setting. I don't see how that's a slight on the game at all. In many ways it is GTAIV done right and expands upon many things that were originally in that game and does so in a more creative and memorable manner. You may disagree with that, but I have always felt that way about the game. That doesn't mean I dislike it at all - on the contrary in fact.

Regarding the empathy remark, that was only one thread for RDR and I bought the game a mere month later. The people in this thread have been trolling my Shenmue fanhood for years. Even then, it's a false equivalence.

But that's not too bad because it allows us to have some fuckery. It's just for fun, and I'm not overly frustrated.
Your statements are making me want to thread necro like no-one has thread necro'd in years.

Himu

« Reply #625 on: August 14, 2015, 01:53:41 PM »
Update:

Gamespot's The Point has a video interview with Playstation's Gio Corsi.

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-point-how-did-shenmue-3-raise-63-million/2300-6426535/

The description reads as: Danny talks to PlayStation's Gio Corsi about how they helped bring Shenmue 3 to E3, and explores the psychology behind our desire to fund Kickstarter projects.

Also, we will have Shenmue news in September. Please look forward to it!

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #626 on: August 16, 2015, 01:08:36 AM »
Fantastic and informative interview on the creation of Shenmue in 2000.

http://shmuplations.com/shenmue/

I really hope YSnet gets Mitsuyoshi on board.

:preach
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #627 on: September 02, 2015, 02:14:54 PM »
Amazing Shenmue III interview. Wow. :preach

http://otakumode.com/news/55c62e97887d92a516b043ae/Interview-with-Yu-Suzuki-Producer-of-the-%E2%80%9CShenmue%E2%80%9D-Series?page=1

[...] for Shenmue 3 they were cheering as if a deceased child just came back to life (laughs). It was like witnessing a supernatural phenomenon, something resurrecting from the deepest depths of the underworld.

Among the characteristics of Shenmue, there are the keywords of “nostalgy” and “the presence of everydays.” I’m not planning on doing anything grandiose, I just want to draw out the interestingness that lies concealed behind the curtains of everydays.

I want to include developments with a sense of distance and atmosphere in mind, such as when a character couldn’t say what he/she wanted to due to influences of the moment and workings of the heart.

Since the surrounding world is very important in Shenmue, I put great emphasis on the differences in perception, and these differences will also be reflected in the characters’ behavior. For example, when you are playing with Ryo, you will only have options from Ryo’s world, so even if Ryo can’t do something, you might progress further with Ren or stay even more ahead if you are Shenhua.

:bow

Suzuki-san
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 02:19:17 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Kara

« Reply #628 on: September 02, 2015, 03:48:10 PM »
They said the remaining episodes planned are being condensed into the third game. Ryo is not going back in that cave and the haters are going to lose. :rejoice

Himu

« Reply #629 on: September 02, 2015, 04:31:06 PM »
That wasn't  said at all.  Shenmue III is not the final game.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #630 on: September 02, 2015, 04:41:22 PM »
Shenmue IV: Lost at Sea
pcp

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #631 on: September 02, 2015, 04:58:58 PM »
Shenmue IV: Live FREE or Die Hard
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #632 on: September 02, 2015, 05:19:16 PM »
Shenmue V: The Search for More Money

Back us on Kickstarter™: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-5-the-search-for-more-money

Kara

« Reply #633 on: September 02, 2015, 09:52:18 PM »

Himu

« Reply #634 on: September 02, 2015, 10:12:47 PM »
All that means is that Suzuki isn't making Shenmue III only chapter 5/6. It doesn't mean this will be the last game. Suzuki has been adamant that it's not. You are taking his statement far too literal and reading wayyyyy too much into it.

Also, their translation is amateur and shit.

A more accurate translation would be, from my own understanding of Japanese:

With Shenmue III it wouldn't be reasonable to do just one chapter's worth per region so I have restructured the story to fit the budget.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 10:18:51 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Kara

« Reply #635 on: September 02, 2015, 10:57:24 PM »
:badass

Himu

« Reply #636 on: September 02, 2015, 11:54:45 PM »
Sorry. I've already dealt with this elsewhere and people taking a simple badly translated text as literal despite Yu saying a billion times that III isn't the last game.
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #637 on: September 18, 2015, 08:15:16 AM »
Paypal donations are open, if anyone care.
I gave the game a lot of shit (and expect to do it again, to be fair) but Ys had the good sense of only opening that campaign for a set period of time (a little over 100 days).

PC version is in a bit of shuffle right now, it's offered as a reward and the FAQ says they are "discussing it with other concerned parties".
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #638 on: October 05, 2015, 03:14:44 PM »
Since our resident Shenmue fan went on a weird tangent with a joke account, it's up to the h8ers to keep you informed  >:(

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-04-i-could-do-with-a-bit-more-money-yu-suzuki-on-the-return-of-shenmue

We can all thanks Ryan Payton, it seems.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 03:20:21 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Mods Help

« Reply #639 on: December 25, 2015, 02:42:00 PM »

Best Xmas gift ever

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #640 on: January 05, 2016, 04:15:41 PM »
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1457889

The results are in for the poll posted in the final update of last year asking whether or not Kickstarter Exclusive Rewards should be made available for the Slacker Backer PayPal campaign.

The polling period lasted from December 24, 2015 to January 1, 2016. All Kickstarter Backers who pledged for a reward of $5 or more were eligible to vote. Of the 68,533 eligible Kickstarter Backers, there were 15,110 respondents.

The poll results are posted below. 4,670 of the respondents answered, “Yes, please make the Kickstarter Exclusive Rewards available on PayPal.” 4,009 respondents answered, “No, Kickstarter Exclusive Rewards are for Kickstarter only.” And 6,432 answered, “Either is fine with me.”

Considering the strong response from those of you who felt that the Exclusive Rewards should remain exclusive for the Kickstarter, those Exclusive Rewards will not be made available on the PayPal page as originally promised.

Seems like a weird decision.
OH!

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #641 on: January 05, 2016, 04:24:32 PM »
So paypal backers still get the bonuses offered by that route, while the kickstarter bonuses will not be carried over and remain exclusive to kickstarter funders.

Why would someone vote no in that poll though?  :lol
OH!

Mods Help

« Reply #642 on: January 05, 2016, 04:41:39 PM »
So paypal backers still get the bonuses offered by that route, while the kickstarter bonuses will not be carried over and remain exclusive to kickstarter funders.

Why would someone vote no in that poll though?  :lol

people want to feel special. "i've got exclusive kickstarter stuff" some shenmue geeks value collectible shit only THEY can have. that's what happens when you haven't had a new entry since 2001 and the only thing new shenmue to buy is merch.

Tasty

« Reply #643 on: January 05, 2016, 04:48:49 PM »
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1457889

The results are in for the poll posted in the final update of last year asking whether or not Kickstarter Exclusive Rewards should be made available for the Slacker Backer PayPal campaign.

The polling period lasted from December 24, 2015 to January 1, 2016. All Kickstarter Backers who pledged for a reward of $5 or more were eligible to vote. Of the 68,533 eligible Kickstarter Backers, there were 15,110 respondents.

The poll results are posted below. 4,670 of the respondents answered, “Yes, please make the Kickstarter Exclusive Rewards available on PayPal.” 4,009 respondents answered, “No, Kickstarter Exclusive Rewards are for Kickstarter only.” And 6,432 answered, “Either is fine with me.”

Considering the strong response from those of you who felt that the Exclusive Rewards should remain exclusive for the Kickstarter, those Exclusive Rewards will not be made available on the PayPal page as originally promised.

Seems like a weird decision.

But the "Yes"/"I don't care" people were the majority (73%)...

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #644 on: January 06, 2016, 04:08:13 AM »
Glad I didn't back this
itm

Mods Help

« Reply #645 on: January 06, 2016, 03:57:39 PM »
Honestly it's not a big deal. Paypal people get the same stuff except like 3 items. Oh no, you don't get phone cards. Okay.

Kara

« Reply #646 on: January 06, 2016, 04:02:10 PM »
Glad I didn't back this

Ur lucky I'm bound by the 4 Wude, bub

Mods Help

« Reply #647 on: January 06, 2016, 04:17:14 PM »
Glad I didn't back this

Typical fake shenmue fan whodat

Buying this when I get home :hyper

Can buy dlc but can't support Ryo Hazuki when it really counts.

For shame. I put 200 into this.  :P

Tasty

« Reply #648 on: January 06, 2016, 04:52:54 PM »
Is that McLovin?

Mods Help

« Reply #649 on: January 06, 2016, 05:16:05 PM »
no it's the guy from star trek enterprise

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #650 on: January 07, 2016, 01:42:37 AM »
Glad I didn't back this

Typical fake shenmue fan whodat

Buying this when I get home :hyper

(Image removed from quote.)

Can buy dlc but can't support Ryo Hazuki when it really counts.

For shame. I put 200 into this.  :P

Triumph made me see the light :rejoice

Is that McLovin?

Sometimes Andrex can't help show his age
itm

Mods Help

« Reply #651 on: January 20, 2016, 03:57:56 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #652 on: January 20, 2016, 04:21:31 PM »
Dreamcast really has aged well.

Tasty

« Reply #653 on: January 20, 2016, 05:14:54 PM »
Wait Dolphin can do Dreamcast? :doge

qq more

« Reply #654 on: January 20, 2016, 05:33:22 PM »
Looks really rough at the moment, but I'm sure it's just because it's a prototype. First snapshot looks mostly alright though. The rainy (?) and grainy effects is kinda bleh though.
ok

Mods Help

« Reply #655 on: January 20, 2016, 07:29:06 PM »
It's a prototype.

Another one.

Mods Help

« Reply #656 on: February 27, 2016, 09:22:27 AM »
Life is amazing. :tocry

Wake up, and see the SHENMUE TREE in hd

Shenhua's house! OMG

:tocry

I have no words :tocry I am literally sitting here crying in joy seeing this. :brazilcry

« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 09:45:19 AM by Mods Help »

Mods Help

« Reply #657 on: February 27, 2016, 09:29:45 AM »

:noah

Listening to this music as I look at that screen :lawd

Imagine those graphics with this music.

:bow Shenmue III :bow2
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 09:47:42 AM by Mods Help »

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #658 on: February 27, 2016, 12:46:43 PM »
Don't fuck up don't fuck up don't fuck up don't fuck up don't fuck up don't fuck up don't fuck up don't fuck up don't fuck up don't fuck up

Mods Help

« Reply #659 on: February 27, 2016, 01:13:58 PM »
https://twitter.com/japanfm/status/703622762108231680

OMFG

Turn on the sound when watching.

The emotions, they stir. :tocry :brazilcry