Author Topic: Shenmue III OT - I CAN believe that it's bad!  (Read 152060 times)

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
Re: The REAL Shenmue III thread
« Reply #120 on: June 15, 2015, 11:20:18 PM »
What the a 2 day KS? Yeah this is a blatant pr thing. If they ran the standard 30 days or whatever they could probably out raise Iga.

:huh

? It's 31 days to go, breh.
I saw Ju 17 and missed the l on the end not being an n. :derp Yeah rip Igavania being the biggest game KS.
Hi

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #121 on: June 15, 2015, 11:23:19 PM »
[Lunar Legend] . . . a re-telling of the story of the first Lunar for the Game Boy Advance released in April 2001 in Japan and in North America the following December.

Lunar: Silver Star Harmony was created by Game Arts and distributed by Gung Ho Works. The game was released in the U.S. on March 2, 2010 for the PSP. The game is another enhanced remake of Lunar: The Silver Star.

Lunar: Silver Star Touch was released in the U.S on September 19, 2012 for iOS. The game is another enhanced remake of Lunar: The Silver Star, although no noticeable improvements had been made.

DON'T PUSH ME KARA YOU DON'T WANT THIS
pcp

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #122 on: June 15, 2015, 11:29:14 PM »
Shenmue thread incomplete with this

I'm lookin for sailors
Lookin high and low
I'm lookin for sailors
Where did they go
Hi

Himu

« Reply #123 on: June 15, 2015, 11:31:56 PM »
IYKYK

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #124 on: June 15, 2015, 11:34:42 PM »
997K :hitler

Tasty

« Reply #125 on: June 15, 2015, 11:35:08 PM »
:drudge 50% funded. :drudge

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #126 on: June 15, 2015, 11:36:12 PM »
ONE MILLION TROOPS / DOLLARSWOW

Tasty

« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2015, 11:36:27 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Holy shit :dead

Sega fans, man...

I need a vid for this.

cool breeze

« Reply #128 on: June 15, 2015, 11:36:35 PM »
fastest to a million?

Tasty

« Reply #129 on: June 15, 2015, 11:38:23 PM »
1 hour 45 minutes almost exactly. Wow.

Himu

« Reply #130 on: June 15, 2015, 11:38:48 PM »
I need a smoke. so. bad.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #131 on: June 15, 2015, 11:53:09 PM »
I need a smoke. so. bad.
loaded up on smoke beforehand mostly to laugh at sony conference. probably the reason i decided almost $200 was a reasonable price for shenmue  :lol

« Reply #132 on: June 15, 2015, 11:56:43 PM »
Seriously, why no physical PS4 version?
野球

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #133 on: June 15, 2015, 11:58:14 PM »
Maybe Sony is gonna handle that after they give him the rest of the money

eleuin

• perennial loser

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
Unzip

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #136 on: June 16, 2015, 12:12:57 AM »
All that aside, if there's one real thing we learned this month, is how absolutely paramount something like Kickstarter is to sustain the dying breed that is core gamers.

Just put your money where your mouth is, frantic stanleys.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 12:28:24 AM by Shaka Khan »
Unzip

Kara

« Reply #137 on: June 16, 2015, 12:41:36 AM »
1.2 million :hitler

« Reply #138 on: June 16, 2015, 01:20:31 AM »

i hope this still happens

Cheddahz

« Reply #139 on: June 16, 2015, 01:22:13 AM »
Ryo looks like he smeared his face with butter

Himu

« Reply #140 on: June 16, 2015, 01:30:13 AM »
Had a fun session tonight. Made it to the sailors part, played some darts. Shame I can't play Space Harrier on NullDC.

Stay positive, friends.

:jawalrus
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #141 on: June 16, 2015, 01:40:11 AM »
Anyways Andrex, I'm not sure if Shenmue is your thing. I'm not sure. It COULD be, but it's possible it won't be either. You tend to like games that are all about mechanics, games like Mario or Monster Hunter. However, you do enjoy alternative gaming too, like Animal Crossing. Shenmue isn't completely like Animal Crossing. The goal in Shenmue is to become a martial arts master in the traditional kung fu movie vein. The goal in Animal Crossing is to pay your stuff off. However, they create similar play mindsets for me. They're both games you boot up to RELAX. Shenmue is a game that requires patience. It isn't a game like modern games where everything is rewarded every time all the time. It's a game series about patience, sometimes literally. In Animal Crossing you plant stuff, dig for fossils, rearrange furniture, you have to wake up on Sunday to get beets, you only have one chance a day or a week to do certain things like get fortune telling or buy art from Redd if you don't cheat. Likewise, Shenmue is about getting information, and sometimes passing the time till the next event. Shenmue is also story-based, but if you're not interested in the story you don't have to fuck with it. So I'm split. I think you could love it, I think you could hate it. Like with Animal Crossing it's not really a game series with much middle ground. Either you get it or you don't. But I'd say with a big caveat that Shenmue is also a game that takes some time to adjust and "get". Even I didn't understand what the fuck I was playing when I first played it, but by the time I beat it it became one of my favorite games.

For what it's worth, 1 is not really action-based. You don't have a single fight on the first disc, I think, beyond the Sakuragaoka Park fight. But like I said, it's a game series about build up, and disc 3 becomes loads with fights. Shenmue II however, has tons of fights and has much more action-packed, fish out of water, traditional kung fu movie set up.

I highly suggest watching this, Andy.

IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #142 on: June 16, 2015, 01:47:31 AM »
Nah I'm gonna go in blind with an open mind and see where it takes me, like I used to do when I was a kid. No preconceptions other than maybe a cool boxart or TV commercial.

Himu

« Reply #143 on: June 16, 2015, 01:50:20 AM »
:obama
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #144 on: June 16, 2015, 01:54:57 AM »
IYKYK

Kara

« Reply #145 on: June 16, 2015, 01:59:36 AM »
Going to wake up to this being fully funded and then I'm going to post a eulogy to the haters.

#optimism #hope

Himu

« Reply #146 on: June 16, 2015, 02:15:50 AM »
As Shenmue fans we must have patience. If not tomorrow morning, tomorrow afternoon. :smug

You know what the best part of this is? Every few years I go back to Shenmue Dojo and re-read the Shenmue III section and I just want more but there's no answers. There was always uncertainty of it just never happening and I gave up on it a long time ago. But with this announcement, I saw Yu actually talking about Shenmue III. Like, it existed. For real. I couldn't fathom and I still can't fathom it because for so long we have been left in the dark, toyed with, trolled, and it just feels good to get actual answers from Yu.

Moreover, it feels great actually getting recognition from the gaming community. Shenmue fans for years have been the butt of gamings jokes. You know what it feels like when your favorite game is literally a joke to most people? After Yu's amazing retrospective on Shenmue 1 at GDC, the amount of sheer disrespect during the Q&A towards this gaming legend was enough to make me angry and I could barely finish watching it. But right now, it's no longer a joke. You don't have assholes like Jeff Gertsmann being fucking assholes about Shenmue, because now they've finally learned to shut the fuck up like God intended. But here we are, and Shenmue is smashing Kickstarter records and shit. It just feels really good for the community to have our back and to be happy for us and for Shenmue - one of the most influential games ever made  - to be not be treated as a joke and finally get its just recognition.

Today fucking owned.
IYKYK

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #147 on: June 16, 2015, 03:09:36 AM »
 :umad

Jeff Gertsmann trolls people by accident when he reviews videogames. Also, while this is awesome for Shenmue fans, there are people no doubt investing money into this and they've never touched a Shenmue game or give a serious fuck about its creator. Nerd curiosity or inner nerd cred validation is at full force here. Shenmue fans have let other people know why they should play and care about this series for 15 years, that's going to rub off on people.

Shenmue didn't influence much either. The majority of open world games use the GTA3 design philosophy of go to point A, B, or C and complete a linear mission in a open world. Shenmue isn't like that at all.
OH!

« Reply #148 on: June 16, 2015, 03:24:41 AM »
World Cup, Super Bowl and Shenmue 3 within the span of a year...

I'M A BELIEVER

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Looks kinda meh. Prefer the original graphics.
[close]

Himu

« Reply #149 on: June 16, 2015, 03:50:32 AM »
It's a kickstarter. It's a demo, those graphics aren't final. It's a demo of the Guilin chapter of Shenmue II where you have to jump across stones. It isn't even going to be in III. They haven't even started officially working on the game. Considering how little they have to work with, it's really good considering they're just going with an idea. I'm sure the final game will look much better.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 03:56:26 AM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

« Reply #150 on: June 16, 2015, 04:05:58 AM »
Still, what can we realistically expect from this. It's one location right now. Looks like it will be a minimum viable game. I guess we will get (some of) the story, but I can't see them having the resources to give us the insane level of detail the first two had.

Whatever. It's coming. :rejoice :rejoice :rejoice

Dennis

« Reply #151 on: June 16, 2015, 06:53:35 AM »
WE DID IT

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #152 on: June 16, 2015, 06:57:34 AM »
As Shenmue fans we must have patience. If not tomorrow morning, tomorrow afternoon. :smug

You know what the best part of this is? Every few years I go back to Shenmue Dojo and re-read the Shenmue III section and I just want more but there's no answers. There was always uncertainty of it just never happening and I gave up on it a long time ago. But with this announcement, I saw Yu actually talking about Shenmue III. Like, it existed. For real. I couldn't fathom and I still can't fathom it because for so long we have been left in the dark, toyed with, trolled, and it just feels good to get actual answers from Yu.

Moreover, it feels great actually getting recognition from the gaming community. Shenmue fans for years have been the butt of gamings jokes. You know what it feels like when your favorite game is literally a joke to most people? After Yu's amazing retrospective on Shenmue 1 at GDC, the amount of sheer disrespect during the Q&A towards this gaming legend was enough to make me angry and I could barely finish watching it. But right now, it's no longer a joke. You don't have assholes like Jeff Gertsmann being fucking assholes about Shenmue, because now they've finally learned to shut the fuck up like God intended. But here we are, and Shenmue is smashing Kickstarter records and shit. It just feels really good for the community to have our back and to be happy for us and for Shenmue - one of the most influential games ever made  - to be not be treated as a joke and finally get its just recognition.

Today fucking owned.

I said biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch.

Shenmue is still a joke. Those Kickstarter records are thanks to fans like you, only second to Sonic stans in terms of long held inferiority complexes.

Get hyped for that :trash VO and influential :piss QTE "gameplay" :piss2

There's no way this game will live up to the expectations of its fanbase either, so I look forward to the inevitable punchline in the disappointment this will bring.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #153 on: June 16, 2015, 07:20:24 AM »
Shenmue didn't influence much either. The majority of open world games use the GTA3 design philosophy of go to point A, B, or C and complete a linear mission in a open world. Shenmue isn't like that at all.

This. You're crazy, Himu, if you think Shamu actually influenced open-world design. It may have possibly created the genre (which I kinda doubt, GTA1 came out earlier?) and gave some people a view of "slice of life" shit like Animal Crossing. But it's design hasn't been used in most other open-world titles.

Also it's funny you 180'd from "hahaha, stupid fans holding out hope:"

Prepare for giggles and laughs from Shenmue fan disappointment! STRAP IN.

to "I TOLD YOU SO! I ALWAYS BELIEVED! :rejoice " in a matter of hours after this reveal happened. The only reason this is getting funded is because most people want to support it finally happening and backing up fans crazy hope. If this bombs a third time, you can expect not even Sony funding a fourth. So you better hope Yu has a goddamn conclusion for the series planned in this outing.

« Reply #154 on: June 16, 2015, 07:44:19 AM »
FUNDED!

As for the impact of Shenmue, I think it's somewhat limited, which is a damn shame. Graphics may have improved, but no game has ever felt as much like you're actually inhabiting that world ever since. Even something like GTA 5 is much more detached feeling.

sarslip

« Reply #155 on: June 16, 2015, 08:03:35 AM »

dis bissh ass knew what it was just from the shakuhachi notes   :neogaf

qq more

« Reply #156 on: June 16, 2015, 08:15:30 AM »
Will fund once I get my pay-

woah what

In.

wait

waittttt

andrex is actually interested in a sega game?! andrex, you alright? are you feeling ok?
ok

Himu

« Reply #157 on: June 16, 2015, 08:15:34 AM »
Also it's funny you 180'd from "hahaha, stupid fans holding out hope:

Prepare for giggles and laughs from Shenmue fan disappointment! STRAP IN.

to "I TOLD YOU SO! I ALWAYS BELIEVED! :rejoice " in a matter of hours after this reveal happened. The only reason this is getting funded is because most people want to support it finally happening and backing up fans crazy hope. If this bombs a third time, you can expect not even Sony funding a fourth. So you better hope Yu has a goddamn conclusion for the series planned in this outing.

I don't think you can read. I said I gave up years ago. Why can't I be happy this is finally happening? What is wrong with you? I also never said there was nothing wrong with hoping. There had been massive evidence stockpiling for years. The problem was Shenmue fans who were always expecting something and making our fan base a joke. There's nothing wrong in wanting something - there is something wrong with always expecting something despite prior evidence.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #158 on: June 16, 2015, 08:29:40 AM »

First off, fuck Gertsmann.

Second, are you really saying a fully voiced cinematic game with quick time events didn't inspire the industry? That is literally gamings blueprint currently. It's pretty clear how influential Shenmue and Metal Gear Solid are to modern gaming, especially when we get into QTE's and their prevalence. For what it's worth, I never really considered the game comparable to open world games. It's like comparing apples and oranges. They don't remotely follow the same design sense and never really have. When you go further down the rabbit hole, it's pretty clear Shenmue has inspired games like Yakuza, Morrowind, Heavy Rain, and LA Noir. In terms of free roaming roaming cinematic games with QTE's and enhanced world interaction Shenmue's influence is pretty clear and pretty much the go to. Do you really think RE4 would use QTEs if Shenmue hadn't made them relevant? Hell, it's in the name. QTE was specifically named for Shenmue, yet you deny its impact on gaming.

Pretty delusional.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 08:41:31 AM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #159 on: June 16, 2015, 08:32:09 AM »
well I had Shenmue 2 on my Amazon wish list for like 5 years now. "I can just wait on this. it's only $3 and it's it's not like it'll ever get any higher," I always told myself. it's at $30 and climbing as of right now. fml
pcp

qq more

« Reply #160 on: June 16, 2015, 08:35:26 AM »
well I had Shenmue 2 on my Amazon wish list for like 5 years now. "I can just wait on this. it's only $3 and it's it's not like it'll ever get any higher," I always told myself. it's at $30 and climbing as of right now. fml
shit

reminds me of when the megaman legend games skyrocketed in price when 3 was announced
ok

Himu

« Reply #161 on: June 16, 2015, 08:38:29 AM »
Xbox version?

Fucking emulate the DC version. I can show you how.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #162 on: June 16, 2015, 09:13:57 AM »
Xbox version?

Fucking emulate the DC version. I can show you how.

my pc's in pieces in a box in the basement. lemme get off my ass and fix it.
pcp

Himu

« Reply #163 on: June 16, 2015, 09:24:43 AM »
Do you have a 360? How were you planning on playing it?

Emulated doesn't support the arcade games if that's important to you.

At this point, I'd hold off. I was expecting Shenmue I+II HD to probe audience interest in III, but that didn't happen. Maybe they're working on it? Maybe Yu can answer that question.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #164 on: June 16, 2015, 09:28:22 AM »
course I got a 360. no arcade games sucks tho. what did they include in 2? my favorite time waster in 1 was Space Harrier.
pcp

Himu

« Reply #165 on: June 16, 2015, 09:32:57 AM »
Space Harrier
Hang On
Outrun
Fucking Afterburner II

There's also enhanced darts. You can play solo like before, or you can challenge other players to Dart contests to see who has the most points. Funnest mini game next to Triple Triad. :bow

There's gambling like with traditional dice games like big or small. There's shit like Lucky Hit, which I personally think sucks. You can arm wrestle too, but the doozy is there's street fighting in II. You can fight dudes for cash in Kowloon.

Kowloon you really have to search for the machines though because there's no central arcade. My issue with Kowloon is there's no darts. :brazilcry
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 09:40:04 AM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #166 on: June 16, 2015, 09:39:35 AM »
Is this funded yet?

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #168 on: June 16, 2015, 09:49:30 AM »
Oh wow it's really happening.

I played the demo on Xbox once and it didn't really impress me. Maybe it was even the full game. Hmm.

Kara

« Reply #169 on: June 16, 2015, 10:04:23 AM »
We are gathered here to pay disrespect to the haters, whose death gives us life. Please rise.

Blessed are those who love, for they will be #blessed by Kickstarter

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither Hong Kong nor Yokosuka, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the genius of Yu Suzuki that is in Shenmue games

We now commit their bodies to the ground;

Ignore list to ignore list, salt to salt, DUST 514 to DUST 514:

in the sure and certain hope of the resurrection of our beloved series.

Amen.

mormapope

« Reply #170 on: June 16, 2015, 10:08:09 AM »
First off, fuck Gertsmann.

Second, are you really saying a fully voiced cinematic game with quick time events didn't inspire the industry? That is literally gamings blueprint currently. It's pretty clear how influential Shenmue and Metal Gear Solid are to modern gaming, especially when we get into QTE's and their prevalence. For what it's worth, I never really considered the game comparable to open world games. It's like comparing apples and oranges. They don't remotely follow the same design sense and never really have. When you go further down the rabbit hole, it's pretty clear Shenmue has inspired games like Yakuza, Morrowind, Heavy Rain, and LA Noir. In terms of free roaming roaming cinematic games with QTE's and enhanced world interaction Shenmue's influence is pretty clear and pretty much the go to. Do you really think RE4 would use QTEs if Shenmue hadn't made them relevant? Hell, it's in the name. QTE was specifically named for Shenmue, yet you deny its impact on gaming.

Pretty delusional.

QTEs being in other games? Sure, Shenmue showed how it could be done. 

You yourself have said comparing Yakuza to Shenmue in any capacity is dumb, that they're completely different games. If you read the developmental history of Morrowind, any of it, you can see that they weren't inspired by Shenmue at all because they were too busy working on the game on and off before 1997. Heavy Rain follows in the same footsteps as Indigo Prophecy, which has a bunch of QTEs but very few branching story points. L.A. Noire is a mix of Shenmue (item twirling and some story branches) and GTA3. RE4 had a bunch of QTEs, so there's that. 

Shenmue had little to no impact. You can say how much work the creator and his team went through is inspiring, but the game itself didn't inspire much. I've played both Shenmue games to completion, I'm not looking to trash the series. But the most honest perspective for both Shenmue games is they're special snowflakes that some people cared about, but plenty of consumers and game designers didn't give much of a shit back then.
OH!

Himu

« Reply #171 on: June 16, 2015, 10:14:38 AM »
Naw, I think Yakuza and Shenmue are different kinds of games. When I said open world games, I was mainly talking about GTA which is usually the bigger comparison. Yakuza is clearly inspired by many elements of Shenmue personally, that doesn't mean they're comparable. Either way, I don't think it matters and this is a time for #positivity.

IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #172 on: June 16, 2015, 10:18:09 AM »
I'm not going to chip in to the Kickstarter, but I'll buy Shenmue 3 on Steam to support Gaben. :yeshrug
dog

Kara

« Reply #173 on: June 16, 2015, 10:24:35 AM »

Shenmue is still a joke. Those Kickstarter records are thanks to fans like you, only second to Sonic stans in terms of long held inferiority complexes.

There's no way this game will live up to the expectations of its fanbase either, so I look forward to the inevitable punchline in the disappointment this will bring.

mormapope

« Reply #174 on: June 16, 2015, 10:26:31 AM »
Don't know if this has been posted yet, but Shenmue 3 is funded or funded to the point of happening.

It will easily get to 5 million bucks, maybe 10 or 15 million.
OH!

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #175 on: June 16, 2015, 10:27:50 AM »

:dead
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #176 on: June 16, 2015, 10:28:09 AM »
I'm betting on 6 million. I'd like 8-10 million. Really want them to say something about an HD collection.
IYKYK

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #177 on: June 16, 2015, 10:59:33 AM »
At $2,386,886  with 29,935 backers.  2,389,601/29,935  = 79.82.  You disgusting fan boys.

Tasty

Himu

« Reply #179 on: June 16, 2015, 11:01:16 AM »
At $2,386,886  with 29,935 backers.  2,389,601/29,935  = 79.82.  You disgusting fan boys.

One of the former admins at Shenmue dojo who backed 10k :lol
IYKYK