Author Topic: The Bore does what NeoGAF doesn't.  (Read 3329575 times)

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
Re: The Bore does what NeoGAF doesn't.
« Reply #900 on: August 31, 2015, 12:25:35 AM »
I played 2, 3 was a bit too culty weird, watched my friend play silent hill 5.

Himu

« Reply #901 on: August 31, 2015, 12:27:19 AM »
3 is not nearly on the same level as 2. Good, but not fucking with  2. 1 is pretty great too, which I assume the Wii one is a remake of.
IYKYK

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #902 on: August 31, 2015, 12:28:16 AM »
I can't explain the Wii one without spoiling, so I wont.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #903 on: August 31, 2015, 12:30:28 AM »
Machinima could be art but games can never be art.

Himu

« Reply #904 on: August 31, 2015, 12:31:55 AM »
But real talk, the older I get the less I think the problem is with games as a medium itself, but gamers who define the medium as what a game *is* or should *be*.

The reality is that gamers really don't want actual good story telling. I remember Yakuza 3 having all this uproar about this slow intro. But the intro was full of great story telling and touched on a side not ever explored before in the Yakuza franchise. Turns out, gamers just wanted to go back to Kamurocho - the same place they toiled away at in the last two games.

I know this is a tired comparison, but if there were a real, actual "Citizen Kane of gaming", people would trash it because it's not "fun" and "when do i get to beat people up?"
IYKYK

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #905 on: August 31, 2015, 12:33:38 AM »
It's almost like games are fundamentally a medium of entertainment and not art. :ohhh

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #906 on: August 31, 2015, 12:34:24 AM »
Blow says weird shit and the saving the girl thing or whatever was kind of tired but Braid was a game I consider being close to games as art. The game play actually had a lot of weird aspects also involving the concept of what was going on.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #907 on: August 31, 2015, 12:36:42 AM »

Oh, games can't talk about slavery, huh? :smug
dog

Himu

« Reply #908 on: August 31, 2015, 12:37:17 AM »
It's almost like games are fundamentally a medium of entertainment and not art. :ohhh

Well, that's looking at it in a narrow manner. It's also not really true, because there are now more varied games of all types than ever before. There's as much room for Papers Please or Call of Duty in gaming, just as much as there's room for The 400 Blows or Rashomon or Avengers in film.

That said, I would agree that gaming is purposely a medium mostly driven by entertainment, but I don't think this is any fault of the medium itself, but because of its audiences own narrow definitions and set of expectations.
IYKYK

« Reply #909 on: August 31, 2015, 12:44:14 AM »
But real talk, the older I get the less I think the problem is with games as a medium itself, but gamers who define the medium as what a game *is* or should *be*.

The reality is that gamers really don't want actual good story telling. I remember Yakuza 3 having all this uproar about this slow intro. But the intro was full of great story telling and touched on a side not ever explored before in the Yakuza franchise. Turns out, gamers just wanted to go back to Kamurocho - the same place they toiled away at in the last two games.

I know this is a tired comparison, but if there were a real, actual "Citizen Kane of gaming", people would trash it because it's not "fun" and "when do i get to beat people up?"

I think the problem is that it's hard to balance the interactive needs of the medium with narrative/artistic ambition. Despite where we might all disagree in terms of gaming's artistic ceiling, I think we can all agree that if your primary aim is to tell a story, there are better mediums to tell it than video games. Mind you, there is a flip side where people lament that every game devolves into shooting and/or fighting even if the premise doesn't necessarily call for it. But from where I'm standing, the solution to that problem is more creative interactivity and unique game mechanics and not necessarily more mature stories.

That's not to say that the latter has no place in gaming. But I think directors and game designers need to keep in mind that the audience for video games isn't necessarily the same as the audience for movies or TV or books when their dream is to tell an ambitious story. The fact that someone laments being forced to shoot two dozen people while running through yet another corridor doesn't mean that the way to reach them is through lengthy cutscenes. There still needs to be a game.

Tasty

« Reply #910 on: August 31, 2015, 12:45:18 AM »

Nah, it's art in the same way music is art in the same way films are art in the same way books are art.

It's pretty much impossible to put rules on creative expression. Games definitely do have an entirely different set of enjoyments to cater to, e.g. the gameplay loop versus the classic plot arc of story-based mediums like film and fiction, however.

Tetris is art because it is utterly a game. A game that is 90% cutscenes and is desperately trying to ape movies less so, IMO.

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #911 on: August 31, 2015, 12:46:54 AM »
Games are art if your baseline is creative expression.

Whether games are good art or actually thought provoking art is another discussion entirely.

Himu

« Reply #912 on: August 31, 2015, 12:48:58 AM »

I think the problem is that it's hard to balance the interactive needs of the medium with narrative/artistic ambition. Despite where we might all disagree in terms of gaming's artistic ceiling, I think we can all agree that if your primary aim is to tell a story, there are better mediums to tell it than video games. Mind you, there is a flip side where people lament that every game devolves into shooting and/or fighting even if the premise doesn't necessarily call for it. But from where I'm standing, the solution to that problem is more creative interactivity and unique game mechanics and not necessarily more mature stories.

That's not to say that the latter has no place in gaming. But I think directors and game designers need to keep in mind that the audience for video games isn't necessarily the same as the audience for movies or TV or books when their dream is to tell an ambitious story. The fact that someone laments being forced to shoot two dozen people while running through yet another corridor doesn't mean that the way to reach them is through lengthy cutscenes. There still needs to be a game.

It's not hard, but what is hard is catering to the gaming audiences. it's just again, something that challenges gamers. Also, I disagree. Silent Hill 2 for instance wouldn't necessarily be better as a movie, for instance. Maybe as a book it would be, but experiencing it as a game was a really unique experience one would not be able to do with a book or movie.

So I think they have their place if the game is driven to be something only a game could ever convey or accentuate.
IYKYK

Mods Help

« Reply #913 on: August 31, 2015, 12:55:42 AM »
Video games are why I still live. Video games are the best art on Earth. Let's see a movie as tense as Heavy Rain. Uncharted is more fun than every single Indiana Jones movie combined. Is it shocking that Sony has the best games stories under its roof? Think not.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #914 on: August 31, 2015, 12:57:48 AM »
The citizen kane of gaming doesn't necessarily mean that it is some anti-shootymans with lots of jerkoff dialogue, it just means that it takes the medium to another level that other games haven't done before it in a way that advances gaming in general.

Pac Man is an example.  Super Mario Brothers is another example.  The Last of Us will never be one of these games.
🍆🍆

Kara

« Reply #915 on: August 31, 2015, 12:59:40 AM »
It's pretty much impossible to put rules on creative expression.

The Assassin's Creed does not command us to be free. It commands us to be wise. :wag

Himu

« Reply #916 on: August 31, 2015, 01:02:11 AM »
The citizen kane of gaming doesn't necessarily mean that it is some anti-shootymans with lots of jerkoff dialogue, it just means that it takes the medium to another level that other games haven't done before it in a way that advances gaming in general.

Pac Man is an example.  Super Mario Brothers is another example.  The Last of Us will never be one of these games.

I don't think I ever inferred that a hypothetical Citizen Kane would have lots of jerk off dialogue. I'm not a big fan of those myself. Have never played Last of Us, for instance. You'll find that my favorite game stories are ones where the story is not dialogue or cutscene heavy but still manages to tell a powerful story (Silent Hill). I'm also a fan of games that are all about the story but don't go out of their way to take control away from gamers and have them sit on their ass while watching a fourty minute cutscene and still being prmarily about its gameplay (Grim Fandango, Shenmue).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 01:06:39 AM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Mods Help

« Reply #917 on: August 31, 2015, 01:07:56 AM »
Mods Help's influence in the span of a day is staggering.

My influence?

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #918 on: August 31, 2015, 01:17:56 AM »

My influence?

Mods help.

The Assassin's Creed does not command us to be free. It commands us to be wise. :wag

... :ohhh You just reminded me of that.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #919 on: August 31, 2015, 03:25:35 AM »
I'm just not sure how useful this discussion will be but I think art has nearly no lower bar as it just has to communicate some sort of emotion. Making art that is unique and meaningful is the difficult part.

Are there games that have stimulated feelings in me in a way that other mediums haven't? Yes

Are those games common? Of course not.

ls there at all an audience for games that are good pieces of art outside of fedoras who really just want to be cliquey and play out their high school fantasies in a game world? Barely.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #920 on: August 31, 2015, 03:46:05 AM »

To you.

Not to millions of people.

Desperation

« Reply #921 on: August 31, 2015, 03:54:04 AM »

My influence?

Having influence is better than flatulence. This will help you sometime in the future.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #922 on: August 31, 2015, 04:05:02 AM »
The fuck with this discussion again.
Games are art alright. Maybe not "high" art. The whole "entertainment vs art" conumdrum is mostly a non-issue, most "art" was either done on command for the church or rich dudes (most classical european paintings) if not for entertainement (most theater and a large segment of literature).

The problem when this subject is brought up by gamers is that they always choose the most terrible examples (Yeah Pac Man is probably a way more important game than last of us), look in the wrong direction (games aping movies) and generally it's for shilling for the latest bloated AAA game which looks like low quality Hollywood fare or as cheap self-validation / to get an hard on on believing they're a minority.
ὕβρις

Himu

« Reply #923 on: August 31, 2015, 04:21:35 AM »
Yeah, the art vs entertainment argument makes no sense. It's like saying Shakespeare isn't art because it was meant to ultimately entertain people via plays. Never mind that a lot of art historically, has been generally viewed as entertainment. Going to art museums for instance, is fun. Dissecting art is also fun and can be construed as entertainment when you're drinking your wine with your friends, which is what rich people did. The point about literature is important too. Guess Jane Austin's works aren't art because they're entertaining as fuck now, I take it?
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #924 on: August 31, 2015, 04:23:41 AM »
Arguing about semantics if something is art or isn't is just a dumb waste of time anyway, unless you are 19 and a freshman in college.

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #925 on: August 31, 2015, 06:15:20 AM »
Yeah, the art vs entertainment argument makes no sense. It's like saying Shakespeare isn't art because it was meant to ultimately entertain people via plays. Never mind that a lot of art historically, has been generally viewed as entertainment. Going to art museums for instance, is fun. Dissecting art is also fun and can be construed as entertainment when you're drinking your wine with your friends, which is what rich people did. The point about literature is important too. Guess Jane Austin's works aren't art because they're entertaining as fuck now, I take it?

I remember having to go see Macbeth as part of the Irish exam system where you had to see the stage play assigned for that years English exam (As it would come up during the exam). During the part where assassins kill Macduff's family, the stage players did the scene and it ended on a fade to black with one of the assassins stabbing Lady Macduff in the vagina. Of course, for a bunch of teenagers in a crowd it was a hoot but a few people weren't happy. Next few days, a letter went out to the Irish Times with someone angry at that scene and how it was portrayed. Also complaining how it disrespected Shakespeare and his "Art".

Two days later. A letter appeared from the Dublin Shakespere society and co-signed by the actors in the play that various Shakespere companies and society across the world portray that scene in such a vulgar manner as its hinted that Lady Macduff is pregnant and the assassins take Macbeth's order to the letter, which includes the unborn.  But it varies by society at large, the audience and the countries society that produces the play if she gets stabbed in the stomach or stabbed in the vagina or dispatched some other way. And it turned out they intentionally played that scene with the vagina being stabbed because they knew they were getting schools in and it would both entertain and leave an impression on them to help them remember the play for their exams. They finished by saying the bard's plays were always about entertainment and had a lot of bawdy elements, double entendres and excessive violence since they were first put on at the globe and it would be more disrespectful to deny those elements existed than sanitizing them. 

There's always going to be extreme viewpoints on what constitutes art and entertainment and willful ignorance on both sides on anything that doesn't suit their argument. Shakespeare always had a vulgar side that always seems to get ignored when his works are put in the context of "art"

tl;dr its about ethics in Shakespearean literature and performances.     

tl;dr part 2. Why haven't we harnessed the consistent kinetic motion of Marshall McLuhan's corpse to power the eastern sea board of the US yet?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 09:30:45 AM by Take My Breh Away »

« Reply #926 on: August 31, 2015, 08:21:07 AM »

:heh

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #927 on: August 31, 2015, 08:33:10 AM »
Guess Jane Austin's works aren't art because they're entertaining as fuck now, I take it?
Agreed, I will fight anyone who says Saints Row IV isn't art.

Dennis

« Reply #928 on: August 31, 2015, 09:16:53 AM »
Is Huelen having a laugh at GAFs expense? Is he/she that self-aware?

Quote from: HUELEN10
Depends on the group, I've been in many.

The Cs, Team Constructix, The horsefuckers, Fruitbowl, Morty's gang, Wiki's crew, Queerin' Up (yes, all of us were queer and fine with it), the Narnia fraternity...

No regrets, don't you dare judge us.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=176995682&postcount=25

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #929 on: August 31, 2015, 09:53:39 AM »
I find the people that argue the most about "games is art" are the ones who eat and breathe the shit 24/7. So they desperately cling to and fight for the concept to justify losing their lives to it.

So instead of "this is important", it becomes "this HAS to be important".

Kara

« Reply #930 on: August 31, 2015, 09:59:26 AM »
Arguing about semantics if something is art or isn't is just a dumb waste of time anyway, unless you are 19 and a freshman in college.

There is nothing more important in life than your sense of aesthetics. :bolo

Himu

« Reply #931 on: August 31, 2015, 10:10:56 AM »
I find the people that argue the most about "games is art" are the ones who eat and breathe the shit 24/7. So they desperately cling to and fight for the concept to justify losing their lives to it.

So instead of "this is important", it becomes "this HAS to be important".

I agree. :obama
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más

« Reply #933 on: August 31, 2015, 11:46:12 AM »
the thread about saline implants is fittingly where thirst and salt meet

Jansen

« Reply #934 on: August 31, 2015, 12:24:59 PM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=176979767&postcount=16

Quote from: HawksWinStanley
When they're done well they're fantastic.

But from what I've seen 90% of the time they're not done well.

why not be honest and say "But from what I've seen watching porn" :sabu

studyguy

« Reply #935 on: August 31, 2015, 12:30:30 PM »
pause

Mods Help

« Reply #936 on: August 31, 2015, 12:45:10 PM »
I've never touched a boob besides my own - thanks Gynecomastia! - however, I've seen enough breasts from porn to conclude that fake breasts are better than real ones.

studyguy

« Reply #937 on: August 31, 2015, 12:46:57 PM »
I'm more of an assman myself anyway.
 :yeshrug

Moreover it's not any of my fucking business as to what someone does so eh
pause

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #938 on: August 31, 2015, 01:37:42 PM »
why the mods over there don't just merge threads for lulz like they did in the past I'll never understand

I'd merge the implant thread with the short guy thread.

king of the internet

• 🚽
« Reply #939 on: August 31, 2015, 01:52:17 PM »
Silicone or not we're all made of lies either way  8)

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #940 on: August 31, 2015, 02:04:24 PM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=177057383&postcount=165

So I'm sorry to burst your victimhood bubble but there is no underlying male domination in society. Men are far more likely to be killed on the job. Far more likely to be attacked in public. Far more likely to have to earn their own wealth. Far more likely to kill themselves. Far more likely to be drafted into the next big war to be used as cannon fodder. Far more likely to lose custody of their children in similar circumstances to other women. Far more likely to serve harsher sentences for the same crime. Far more likely to work at any occupation in the show Dirty Jobs. Far more likely to be hit as children. Far more likely to work longer hours than even childless mothers. In short shut the actual fuck up and stop calling me a bad person for having a pair of balls.

Anita threads...

Alcoholic Fish

« Reply #941 on: August 31, 2015, 02:24:04 PM »
why the mods over there don't just merge threads for lulz like they did in the past I'll never understand

I only date women with six foot silicone tits.

Kara

« Reply #942 on: August 31, 2015, 02:30:34 PM »
Far more likely to work longer hours than even childless mothers.

idk man, nuns can work a lot of damn hours.

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #943 on: August 31, 2015, 02:32:55 PM »

But are they art?
QED

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #944 on: August 31, 2015, 02:35:31 PM »
They've made me contemplate my existence. So, I think that qualifies.

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #945 on: August 31, 2015, 02:35:43 PM »
That short guy thread  :marimo
vin

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #946 on: August 31, 2015, 02:36:16 PM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=177063773&postcount=244

It fascinates me to watch this discussion from the European/German point of view. especially in regards to the witcher.
Not a single german review I've read mentions the sexual depiction of women. Context is key...
This discussion takes place mainly in the USA....I wish folks would consider that in their wish for European developers to change or "grow"

:comeon

king of the internet

• 🚽
« Reply #947 on: August 31, 2015, 02:39:06 PM »
Short guys are the best. As a five-foot-niner I feel a lot better when I see a true manlet scurry into the room. #couldbeworse

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #948 on: August 31, 2015, 02:40:53 PM »
I envy the bf because he's a huge dude. Being able to just go do shit without someone trying to holler or thinking I'm a bitch because I don't want to entertain them is some bullshit.

« Reply #949 on: August 31, 2015, 02:42:06 PM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=177063773&postcount=244

It fascinates me to watch this discussion from the European/German point of view. especially in regards to the witcher.
Not a single german review I've read mentions the sexual depiction of women. Context is key...
This discussion takes place mainly in the USA....I wish folks would consider that in their wish for European developers to change or "grow"

:comeon

"not a single german review" is going to be my go-to defense of anything from now on

king of the internet

• 🚽
« Reply #950 on: August 31, 2015, 02:47:41 PM »
I envy the bf because he's a huge dude. Being able to just go do shit without someone trying to holler or thinking I'm a bitch because I don't want to entertain them is some bullshit.

Plus Time Dog is just a very frightening man in general.  :o

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #951 on: August 31, 2015, 02:49:23 PM »

Plus Time Dog is just a very frightening man in general.  :o

Chillest dude you'll ever meet though.  :obama

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #952 on: August 31, 2015, 02:49:37 PM »

But are they art?
              :goty2 
 :marimo :marimo
©@©™

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #953 on: August 31, 2015, 03:11:43 PM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=177069365&postcount=3

Was gonna post the white anchor chappelle gif but I don't feel like dealing with thin skinned mods  :-\

studyguy

« Reply #954 on: August 31, 2015, 03:11:59 PM »
Honestly the self hating shit or pity parade about being shorter than 7' whatever" seems worse than actually being short for most of these dudes. Then again I've never really engaged in the online dating shit so maybe that's where the height plays into it. I always figured being attractive enough and generally not being a weirdo worked well enough idk. Some of the posts sounds real suspect, some real self defeatist attitude they'd take going into a conversation. No one wants to talk to that kind of person.
pause

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #955 on: August 31, 2015, 03:14:31 PM »
It's always something out of their control...

:yeshrug

Also the posts basically acting like women are all the same person, yeah that will go over real well with your dates.

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #956 on: August 31, 2015, 03:18:56 PM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=177072845&postcount=304

i love how fans of creepily sexualized underage anime girls have co-opted the term "fanservice" for their fucking creepy festishes so they can discuss it in the open without as many people noticing

:aah

Tasty

Mods Help

« Reply #958 on: August 31, 2015, 03:36:44 PM »
Being attracted to girls under 16 is normal. Kings used to marry underraged girls all the time. Ordinary girls would wed and bear children at 12-14 years old. Chalk this up to another failure of modern PC society. In Japan and China, the age of consent is 13 and 14, respectively. More proof that my soul belongs in the East.

Elvis had the right idea the whole time.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #959 on: August 31, 2015, 03:39:09 PM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=177072845&postcount=304

i love how fans of creepily sexualized underage anime girls have co-opted the term "fanservice" for their fucking creepy festishes so they can discuss it in the open without as many people noticing

©@©™