Author Topic: STAR CITIZEN: JEU PRÉFÉRÉ DE VOMKRIEGE  (Read 310812 times)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Re: STAR CITIZEN: JEU PRÉFÉRÉ DE VOMKRIEGE
« Reply #2341 on: July 30, 2020, 01:44:34 AM »
I'm starting to think maybe it can just go on indefinitely this way?  ??? 
like ... maybe they're just giving the backers what they want. they don't really want a concrete product with concrete limitations that can be criticized, they want to enjoy the game development theater while fantasizing about the ultimate space sim that will let them do everything they want.
video games are already fantasy to begin with, right? so if you can sell fantasizing about being a space pilot, why can't you sell fantasizing about fantasizing about being a space pilot?

Not all backers are like that but it can last some more years probably. The biggest risk is probably engine obsolescence. And the realization that Squadron 42 may be truly nowhere, perhaps. I don't know if the true believers would also accept a drastic reduction in the production, it is part of the illusion that CI(G) is ballooning (with 500-600 persons working on it, apparently) which is maybe something that you may need to do at one point.

They're supposedly having a record year in funding. If the Calders, who heavily invested in it and have a 10%+ share, are really pulling the strings and smart they must making some good bank right now.
ὕβρις

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #2343 on: July 30, 2020, 02:57:55 AM »
the cartoon in that Reddit link makes me want to get really high and dig into the code of TempleOS or something
QED

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2344 on: July 31, 2020, 04:17:53 AM »
I feel like 2022 is reasonable for SQ42, and Star Citizen 'finished' in like 2030.

:doge
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2345 on: August 01, 2020, 03:37:50 AM »
That first full star system out of 100 or 15 is still a bit away...

For me seeing Orison in whitebox stage has actually been a huge setback. Orison had been on the roadmap to be released last year already and even now it’s nothing close to be finished. I understand they might had troubles with planetary cloud tec and had to delay crusader because of that. But Orison is just an animated mesh that could be placed anywhere so I expected them being further in the development of this thing.

:dead
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2346 on: August 01, 2020, 05:59:22 PM »
I want to know how the hell we went from a "almost done 2016 release"

An ex-Crytek wizard in CIG Frankfurt discovered how to make the engine render spherical procedural terrains in 2015, two years ahead of schedule, and that instantly redefined the release requirements for SQ42 to include procgen planet integration both on the technical level and in terms of game locations.

Ze Magic Germans.

ὕβρις

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2347 on: August 01, 2020, 09:04:13 PM »
If it was two years ahead of schedule in 2015, just imagine how far it is ahead of schedule now! :lawd
©@©™

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2348 on: August 02, 2020, 10:09:45 AM »
ὕβρις

nudemacusers

« Reply #2349 on: August 02, 2020, 11:03:37 PM »

lmao of course CR's second bullet point for SQ42 is the A-list cast :sabu

﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

nudemacusers

« Reply #2350 on: August 02, 2020, 11:09:21 PM »
https://imgur.com/a/P9PZSNw

oh man this is brutal
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2351 on: August 03, 2020, 05:16:23 PM »
Revisiting the original Kickstarter page is always a treat, the more hindsight we get...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen

10X the detail of current AAA games

Everything you would imagine would move or articulate on a spaceship or a device – does!

In each combat instance player slots are reserved for your friends so you can rally forces to join you in combat!

The universe will change based on the players' actions and adventures allowing them to become part of the history of the universe. As an example, players can scan for gravitational anomalies while out in space. If one is discovered and the player manages to successfully navigate this uncharted jump point, they’ll be able to sell their Nav- Computers recording of their jump flight path for a great profit to a space company for other users to download. But the real prize is getting the system or jump-point named after them!

We have backed Oculus Rift and will support it in Star Citizen / Squadron 42.

:juche
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2352 on: August 04, 2020, 07:22:20 PM »
we'll see proper communication from the developer we have 300 million to...

I never get this line of thinking. They pitched you an idea for a game, you gave them money to run with it, they are, you're pissed you haven't gotten said game in (what you assume to be) a timely manner. They owe you the game they promised you. Outside of that, they owe you shit. They are working on the game they promised you and no matter how much you bitch and moan (this goes for everyone on this sub) they are not going to release a half-baked, unfinished game.

You're no better than the publishers that CIG wanted to avoid, the same publishers that push half-baked games out the window so they can see a return on their investment sooner than letting it bake completely and reap even more rewards. (everyone likes to pick on EA as an example, but I'll choose someone new and go with Ubisoft or Activision as the example of publishers mucking up the development)

ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2353 on: August 05, 2020, 08:08:36 AM »
They were also "genuinely excited" to finally, after many months and delays, share the new and improved Ship Matrix that automatically takes data from the game so it's always current and correct.

Remember that shit?

I do.

I kinda have hope that they don't fuck it up with the roadmap because it's too important, but I'm seriously not holding my breath at this point.

Actually, people forget that they did build that Ship Matrix..... and it broken instantly.

That whole thread  :delicious

I'm going to repeat myself a bit : I don't know if it's by intent but CIG really mastered noise as communication. Someone said it on Reddit but there's been so many contradictory claims and hours upon hours of promotional material that it's actually very difficult to source any semi-obscure promise or quote. I haven't kept count but they had over half a dozen overlapping video shows (some discontinued), just to give an example. I'm sure that technically all the info is still online on CIG official accounts but all the small nooks and crannies only lives on as an oral history.

"But Derek Smart Vom, aren't you an hypocrite for berating too much communication ?" Maybe so (though I always contended it's a lot of missing forest for the trees)... I guess there's some consistency with the rest of the project : unfocused, hyperactive yet shallow.
ὕβρις

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #2354 on: August 05, 2020, 08:40:28 AM »
Star Citizen is a cautionary tale in regards to kickstarter. If not that, the Chuck Tingle digital game is one. :doge

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #2356 on: August 06, 2020, 05:17:54 PM »
Star Citizen is a cautionary tale in regards to kickstarter.

IDK, it's such an outlier it seems irrelevant
___

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2357 on: August 07, 2020, 03:27:12 AM »
Star Citizen is a cautionary tale in regards to kickstarter.

IDK, it's such an outlier it seems irrelevant

It's a cautionary tale of a cool 300m$ with no strings attached.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018

nudemacusers

« Reply #2363 on: August 29, 2020, 09:07:25 AM »
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2364 on: September 01, 2020, 01:04:30 AM »
Ben Parry, a minor figure on Star Citizen and Elite forums (mentioned a couple of times here, worked as a dev at Frontier then cloud Imperium) is out :

My posts here have always been my own opinions, but I don't try to answer for or undercut people I work/worked with/for. As for toeing the company line though, uh... I actually don't work for CIG any more. I have a new job starting next week

:lol
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2366 on: September 02, 2020, 12:51:16 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/iigri0/elevator_panel_update_has_now_been_delayed_for/

CIG: We are gonna give elevators some love.

Salty Players: really? Don't you think there are other things that are more important to focus on?

CIG: We are gonna focus on more important things.

Salty Players: MUH ELEVATORS!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 01:03:27 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

nudemacusers

« Reply #2367 on: September 02, 2020, 05:40:47 PM »
i like how you pretend that elevators are some easy checkbox development feature when in reality the elevators are a base for many significant mechanical technologies within the game. but i'm sure you NON developers know more than REAL ones.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2368 on: September 04, 2020, 01:51:12 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/im4l4i/no_more_slowass_elevators_docking_collars/

EightEx
mitra
2h
I need to update my game, is this a thing now??

Okora66
arrow
2h
No, soon. Hopefully by years end but dont count on it
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

Raist

nudemacusers

« Reply #2371 on: September 05, 2020, 07:56:37 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/imqaie/sometimes_they_try_too_hard_to_make_this_game/

:corona_rodney

My wife wants a new pair of $70 keds sneakers. To be fair, it’s not the worst thing I could get her but geez shoes are outrageous.
I don’t even know where to start
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2372 on: September 05, 2020, 09:16:34 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/imqaie/sometimes_they_try_too_hard_to_make_this_game/

:corona_rodney

My wife wants a new pair of $70 keds sneakers. To be fair, it’s not the worst thing I could get her but geez shoes are outrageous.
I don’t even know where to start

You can get a starter package for 45$
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2373 on: September 06, 2020, 02:57:30 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/imzk0v/star_citizen_roadmap_update_20200904/

Mentioned in the thread : Over 100 open positions at Cloud Imperium (Games) they can't seem to fill.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2374 on: September 06, 2020, 10:20:32 AM »
How come this post is infiltrated by refunders? Doesn't that warrant a ban for brigading?

Infiltrate a public subreddit, play it tactical.

Even the theory crafting gets a cold reception now :

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/ingrms/imagine_all_these_flights_are_simulated_the/
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 10:24:46 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2376 on: September 06, 2020, 09:20:37 PM »
It's important to note that while features are removed from the public road map, that does not imply priorities have changed. The public road map is not their internal project management system. It's an abstraction of progress that's meant to communicate to the layman.

People believing it is an internal tracking system is a big part of why they stopped using it as well as they could've. It's a big part of why the whole thing is getting replaced. This misunderstanding is still going on.

Features removed from the public roadmap are not features that have stopped being developed.
ὕβρις

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2377 on: September 07, 2020, 12:04:29 PM »
Trust the process.
©@©™

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2378 on: September 09, 2020, 04:56:47 PM »
Trust the process.

Process the trust.  :money
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2379 on: September 10, 2020, 07:36:30 AM »
I got my cousin to try the game out during the free fly event after telling him how much I love it. He summed up his experience for me. I'm so embarrassed.

Attempt 1: Take elevator Take shuttle to spaceport Claim ship Take elevator to hangar Take off Get trapped in autopilot corrections for 10 minutes Get out finally Fool around for 5 mins Get approval to land again Impossible to guide landing bay Autopilot trap again Suicide doesn't work Turn off ship and plummet onto landing bay Kill self on the way down to respawn Attempt 2: Take elevator Take shuttle to spaceport Claim ship Take elevator to hangar Fall through floor 10 stories Land without taking damage Trapped in underbelly of spaceport Suicide button Attempt 3: Take elevator Take shuttle to spaceport Ship still on hangar Take elevator to hangar Climb through ship Elevator to cockpit doesn't work

Take elevator back from hangar to spaceport Tell spaceport to store ship Claim ship again 50 minute wait to process Log out 10/10. . .
ὕβρις

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2380 on: September 10, 2020, 09:03:12 AM »
Suicide doesn't work

:existential
©@©™

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2381 on: September 12, 2020, 11:36:49 AM »
Why do we need like a 4th shotgun? Seriously what other game has this many shotguns and doesn’t allow you to throw a grenade?

this is Star Citizen, you can't just "throw a grenade". You have to reach for your pouch with your physicalized hand, search for the physicalized grenade (there are several types), manually select the explosion timer on the grenade and several additional settings (could be a small minigame). Then you hire Albert Einstein to calculate the trajectory of the grenade for you because it's all realistic, and then you can attempt to throw the grenade. Except by that time you're already stuck inside the floor and the grenade doesn't fly far, instead it starts shaking for a while and then blows up in your face, sending you to prison for some juicy gameplay loops.
ὕβρις

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #2382 on: September 12, 2020, 12:15:17 PM »
They had us in the first half, not gonna lie . gif
Margs

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2383 on: September 12, 2020, 07:14:08 PM »
The Chairman is alive and well ! Don't believe the rumors by the paper tigers !
 :juche

https://massivelyop.com/2020/09/12/chris-roberts-says-star-citizen-is-not-a-pipe-dream-in-spite-of-taking-longer-than-planned/

Quote from: Croberts
“My biggest disappointment with modern internet discourse is that there’s a significant amount of cynicism, especially in forum or Reddit debates, and a portion of people assume the worst. If a feature is missing, late or buggy it’s because the company or the developer lied and or / is incompetent as opposed to the fact that it just took longer and had more problems than the team thought it would when they originally set out to build it. Developers by their very nature are optimistic. You have to be to build things that haven’t ever been built before. Otherwise the sheer weight of what is needed to be done can crush you. But being optimistic or not foreseeing issues isn’t the same as lying or deliberately misleading people. Everyone at CIG is incredibly passionate about making Star Citizen the most immersive massively multiplayer first person universe sandbox, and everyone works very hard to deliver that. If we could deliver harder, faster, better we would. We get just as frustrated with the time things take.

“I sense from your reply to me that it’s the time taken and priorities that you’re frustrated with, as you feel like we’re focusing on the wrong things. I can see that point of view, but you’re looking at it from the outside without the full knowledge of exactly what it will take, and the order it needs to be done in to deliver the gameplay that will set Star Citizen above everything else. This is the game I’ve dreamed of my whole life. Now I am in a position to realize it, I am not willing to compromise it’s potential because it is taking longer than I originally envisioned.

“I can promise you the gameplay I described is not a pipe dream, nor will it take 10 to 20 years to deliver.”

Game dev hard.  :itagaki

Edit - The full post :
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/atmospheric-room-system-4-years-later/3368356

Straight from the horse's mouth : "Early alpha state"  :angryjoe
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 07:45:47 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2385 on: September 12, 2020, 07:36:36 PM »
Frontier's Annual Report was published on Wednesday, and contained this:
For comparison, other high-profile space exploration games that entered Kickstarter in the early 2010s have still not released at all, speaking to the challenges of the genre and to our teams expertise and ability to deliver compelling product in a timely fashion.

That might have triggered Chris, seeing as he has been making these defensive public comments at 2am California-time these past two days.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2387 on: September 13, 2020, 05:55:36 AM »
Damn, he spoke not just for CIG but on behalf of all game devs ever.

:salute

on normal days we have an average of over 30,000 different people playing

I did not expect that number, that's almost on par with the PC numbers of several larger AAA games.

Puts it in context. Imagine when server meshing and more star systems comes in.

:hyper

Chris is talking about unique players per day.

PC Steam numbers are hourly concurrent. Converting those to unique players per day you'd need to multiply the hourly concurrent 5 or 10 fold.

CIG gave us an infographic last year that someone worked out average hourly concurrent of 1,300 players. Another infographic early this year said 10,000 players completing missions each day. And a mining one said 35 people per hour mining.

Average concurrent numbers are probably higher now than last year, maybe doubled.

Oh.  :(
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 06:01:10 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

nudemacusers

« Reply #2389 on: September 15, 2020, 09:27:02 PM »
well, imagine your brain serving as the critical bedrock of a $300M video game's AI scripting and only being allowed to pour three different cocktails.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2390 on: September 17, 2020, 06:32:41 PM »
Chris Roberts is making up for his absence by setting a "ask the chairman" on the official forums.

I thought it may be fun to answer another question from you guys, but this time you can have a hand in determining what question I answer!

A few rules;

- No questions on timelines or schedules. When the revised Road Map is ready that will be the best place to see what we currently "estimate" (estimate != promise) as our task durations.
(...)
- Focus on systems that exist or we have said we plan to build. Bluesky theorycrafting isn't going to be that useful as we already have a huge backlog of stuff to achieve before we start wondering about "new" features.

Weird phrasing that makes it look like he'll answer one question :lol

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/50259/thread/ask-the-chairman/

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/iugsk0/ask_the_chairman_chris_roberts_post/

Also employee headcount now at 630, if he's accurate...
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #2392 on: September 17, 2020, 08:06:58 PM »
recruiting recruiters huh

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2394 on: September 19, 2020, 06:37:57 AM »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2396 on: September 20, 2020, 06:12:46 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/iwcqlg/star_citizen_will_potentially_give_many_of_us_a/

Star Citizen will potentially give many of us a game to play for the rest of our life.

I'm drinking a little bit but hear me out.

Being 50, I'm quite happy for another 10 years of development and feature creep - will be ideal for my retirement! (Genuine comment)
ὕβρις

nudemacusers

﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

Raist

« Reply #2399 on: September 21, 2020, 12:39:09 PM »
I guess the random bugs with the character models are very Silent Hill-esque yeah.