Author Topic: STAR CITIZEN: JEU PRÉFÉRÉ DE VOMKRIEGE  (Read 306907 times)

wsippel

Re: STAR CITIZEN: JEU PRÉFÉRÉ DE VOMKRIEGE
« Reply #840 on: December 29, 2016, 02:06:12 PM »
Two in-game missiles for $70 real bux, still no way to earn the currency to buy them in-game, and users calling the price 'cheap' vs how much they'll cost buying them later.

Or, you know, you could buy those missiles with REC, which you get for simply playing the game. You don't even have to win anything or perform particularly well to earn enough, and it takes maybe half an hour: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/electronic-access/Weapon-Roms/Talon-Typhoon-IX

As much as I like to sit here and laugh at the well documented clusterfuck that is Cloud Imperium Games and Chris Roberts himself; it's actually pretty shitty.

It's misguided game studios like these that ruin it for the rest of the game industry. There are indies and real game development teams out there who work hard to secure funding and when this shit blows up, which it will, it'll add yet another reason for investors (angel/VCs/banks/etc) to second guess funding individual games or publishers.

A lot of the "well documented fuckups" are actually uninformed people talking out of their asses. Yes, you could spend $70 on a bunch of missiles, but you don't have to, and you really shouldn't. As mentioned above, you can get them for free. The big outcry and fuckup before this one, the engine change, was bullshit as well, as I explained a few days ago. I follow the development closely, I have money in this, and I admittedly have my fair share of doubts as there are real problems, but all the made up problems and controversies certainly don't help anybody. Well, except for DS' ego and Polygon's ad revenue.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 02:15:46 PM by wsippel »

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #841 on: December 29, 2016, 05:22:32 PM »
A lot of the "well documented fuckups" are actually uninformed people talking out of their asses. Yes, you could spend $70 on a bunch of missiles, but you don't have to, and you really shouldn't. As mentioned above, you can get them for free. The big outcry and fuckup before this one, the engine change, was bullshit as well, as I explained a few days ago. I follow the development closely, I have money in this, and I admittedly have my fair share of doubts as there are real problems, but all the made up problems and controversies certainly don't help anybody. Well, except for DS' ego and Polygon's ad revenue.

Did you just say Derek Smart is uninformed and talking out of his ass? Better lawyer up for that kind of libel.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #842 on: December 29, 2016, 06:14:50 PM »
Edit: Checked the last page and was going to call it off

Quote from: Dark Reaper
Dark Reaper
Quote from: Stroj

Given that it's an armament designed specifically to destroy large expensive ships, it should be expensive itself. If you can pay $5 to launch a torpedo that will destroy a $1k ship, then you'll see the economy ruin the value of large ships. Their counters need to be expensive too. You see this in military history all the time. If a cheap weapon can easily defeat an expensive target, then the target tends to become obsolete.

Exactly, when a musket costing one month's wages was invented and it defeated a suit of armor costing one year's wages, the suit of armor became obsolete practically overnight.
  :rofl :rofl

This talk of things costing a month/year's wage seems pretty relevant to discussion of this game. :doge
©@©™

Coax

« Reply #843 on: December 29, 2016, 11:48:13 PM »
Or, you know, you could buy those missiles with REC, which you get for simply playing the game. You don't even have to win anything or perform particularly well to earn enough, and it takes maybe half an hour: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/electronic-access/Weapon-Roms/Talon-Typhoon-IX

Come on, you know REC can't be used for buying items, it's rental credit and atm the store items can only be bought with non-virtual currency. It serves as both an almost neverending fundraiser for the game and capitalizing on SC whales.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #844 on: December 30, 2016, 12:53:15 AM »
What if you bought those missiles, fired them, and

they missed their target
rub

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #845 on: December 30, 2016, 01:39:52 AM »

they missed their target

I don't think you know the realities of military logistics. May I please educate you about supply lines?

War is hell and missiles are a lot less expensive than losing a manned ship, or even just having to take care of a Space-veteran's PTSD. Treatment that used to cost 5 cents now costs $2. Now try scaling that up to a whole universe!! Space combat isn't a game son.

___

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #846 on: December 30, 2016, 03:26:16 AM »
As much as I like to sit here and laugh at the well documented clusterfuck that is Cloud Imperium Games and Chris Roberts himself; it's actually pretty shitty.

It's misguided game studios like these that ruin it for the rest of the game industry. There are indies and real game development teams out there who work hard to secure funding and when this shit blows up, which it will, it'll add yet another reason for investors (angel/VCs/banks/etc) to second guess funding individual games or publishers.

Because it's so high profile? Surely there are already more than enough high profile failures in game development anyone investing should be highly cautious. That's why this is happening right? Because no-one aside from obsessive nerds would fund a new space sim, so now they get the bloated development of their dreams. Of course, no-one will fund another Crobert game following this flopping, but he also made the money already, and it's only individuals money in (relatively) small sums. I don't think this is going to change investors perception of the viability of game development on the whole. Just another scrap on the fire.
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #847 on: December 30, 2016, 03:45:05 AM »
I think the biggest takeaway from this project anyone in the industry will see is people "invested" over 140 million USD in it for a pretty bland (but promising) alpha demo, excellent marketing and occasional scripted demos. People making nothing from the project, with no potential return aside from a game to play have invested this much because nostalgia, name brand appeal and emotions, and mostly defend the development. I can't imagine anyone in the industry really caring all that much if the final product is delivered, the project already seems to be a wild success. On top of that, the remaining people, assets, technology will eventually bleed off at cut-rate prices to the other studios...
◕‿◕

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #848 on: December 30, 2016, 04:17:42 AM »
Yes, you could spend $70 on a bunch of missiles, but you don't have to, and you really shouldn't.

And yet CIG is certainly expecting so in some capacity, otherwise they wouldn't sell it.
Appealling to customer's personal responsibility is fine, but doesn't change the fact the seller is certainly looking to profit off those who may have a weakness of judgement.
ὕβρις

wsippel

« Reply #849 on: December 30, 2016, 08:17:35 AM »
Come on, you know REC can't be used for buying items, it's rental credit and atm the store items can only be bought with non-virtual currency. It serves as both an almost neverending fundraiser for the game and capitalizing on SC whales.

Sure, you rent them for a week. But a single game of Vanduul Swarm nets you almost 20,000REC if I remember correctly (I think I got over 18,000 for clearing all 12 waves a while ago), enough to rent any weapon for a couple of weeks. If you play, you constantly get more REC. If you don't play, what would you want missiles for? Not to mention that the most expensive class IX missiles are completely useless right now, because there are no capital ships to shoot.

Also, and that is a real problem, nobody knows what "buying" missiles actually means. You won't get a free lifetime supply in the final game. You'll get a certain number of missiles, but nobody knows how many. That's why even CIG's community managers suggested not to buy anything other than decorations and skins on Voyager Direct. That store is a fucking mess right now in general. The option to melt down Voyager Direct purchases has been announced more than a year ago and is still not implemented. People suggested removing limited use weapons from Voyager Direct, but CIG didn't do that, either.

they missed their target

The same thing that happens in EVE: You wasted money. But you don't buy/ rent individual missiles in the alpha, you get an unlimited supply.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 08:25:01 AM by wsippel »

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #850 on: December 30, 2016, 10:40:19 AM »
Whats going to keep Martin Shkreli from coming in and just fucking with the economy.
rub

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #851 on: December 30, 2016, 01:34:09 PM »
Whats going to keep Martin Shkreli from coming in and just fucking with the economy.

The Wu-Tang Clan and/or Bill Murray.
©@©™

wsippel

« Reply #852 on: December 30, 2016, 03:55:31 PM »

Primarily the fact that there is no economy right now...

But yeah, this is a very valid question. I absolutely don't think CIG thought that part through properly. Everything they've said and done in that regard so far has been extremely questionable. From the fact that they plan to sell (limited amounts of) in-game cash for real money to the idiotic "90% of the market will be NPC-driven" idea, I have very little confidence in CIG in that regard. They should probably hire an economist or five to figure that stuff out. Or just play Eve for a bit.

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #853 on: December 30, 2016, 05:01:57 PM »

Because it's so high profile? Surely there are already more than enough high profile failures in game development anyone investing should be highly cautious. That's why this is happening right? Because no-one aside from obsessive nerds would fund a new space sim, so now they get the bloated development of their dreams. Of course, no-one will fund another Crobert game following this flopping, but he also made the money already, and it's only individuals money in (relatively) small sums. I don't think this is going to change investors perception of the viability of game development on the whole. Just another scrap on the fire.

Nah, you read me wrong. It's good that this is being talked about. While half of me finds it comical the other half is SUPER bummed out about how this looks like it's going poorly.

Also yes, this changes people's minds on thing. Investors and "industry analysts" are super sensitive to this however nothing has really happened yet. Current views are they have a shit ton of cash and no product. No one really cares about the gossip, lol.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 05:17:41 PM by a slime appears »

bluemax

« Reply #854 on: December 30, 2016, 11:00:43 PM »

But yeah, this is a very valid question. I absolutely don't think CIG thought that part through properly. Everything they've said and done in that regard so far has been extremely questionable. From the fact that they plan to sell (limited amounts of) in-game cash for real money to the idiotic "90% of the market will be NPC-driven" idea, I have very little confidence in CIG in that regard. They should probably hire an economist or five to figure that stuff out. Or just play Eve for a bit.

Isn't that SC in a nutshell? They didn't think ANY of it through. Star Citizen is just feature creep with a seemingly endless supply of money and no one stopping to think about what any of it really will take. They're building an MMO on a game engine made for single player FPSes!
NO

wsippel

« Reply #855 on: December 31, 2016, 12:00:27 AM »

Isn't that SC in a nutshell? They didn't think ANY of it through. Star Citizen is just feature creep with a seemingly endless supply of money and no one stopping to think about what any of it really will take. They're building an MMO on a game engine made for single player FPSes!

Well, so does Amazon. And so did XL Games, Tencent, Snail and Obsidian. Probably one third of all MMOs currently on the market use Cryengine. The next third uses UE3, another engine never intended for MMOs. The project has enough problems as is, I don't consider the engine choice one of them. ;)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 07:54:10 AM by wsippel »

bluemax

« Reply #856 on: January 04, 2017, 11:13:45 PM »
Some SC backer wrote a huge ass article on how to improve the flight model in SC:

https://sites.google.com/view/starcitizenflightmodelproposal
NO

bluemax

« Reply #857 on: January 05, 2017, 11:35:02 PM »
Also Derek Smart claiming its all gonna come crashing down again, which I think he says like once a month. STAY TUNED!

Edit: Guessing it is this https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08815227/filing-history you can read the financials for the UK portion of the massive CIG/RSI conglomerate.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 01:03:34 AM by bluemax »
NO

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #858 on: January 06, 2017, 01:13:11 AM »
Every time I think I understand, I find that I don't at all
que

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #859 on: January 06, 2017, 01:38:03 AM »
I still don't believe Ortwin Freyermuth is an actual person.

benjipwns

« Reply #860 on: January 06, 2017, 01:40:13 AM »
Nor do I believe that Moses Nyachae is. Mac, half the employees in this building have been made up. This office is a goddamn ghost town.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #861 on: January 06, 2017, 11:26:29 AM »
Also Derek Smart claiming its all gonna come crashing down again, which I think he says like once a month. STAY TUNED!

Edit: Guessing it is this https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08815227/filing-history you can read the financials for the UK portion of the massive CIG/RSI conglomerate.

I'm no expert but a quick glance seems to wield very similar numbers than those for the Foundry 42 studios, and I wouldn't be too surprised if one is subordinate to the other and transfered funds from one entity to the next were essentially the same money.
As such those accounts don't wield much more light on what is happening there. It merely confirms that something like 15-18m$ in 2015 (half of their collected yearly funding) is being flowed to just their British branches and thus that it's probably not too unreasonable to think the whole operation with the US and German studios is probably using every last buck they receive or close to it.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #863 on: January 07, 2017, 06:29:35 PM »
Some actual solid info, it seems, on how many people are playing each version of the Star Citizen alpha (or at least, the modules ?) :

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/7435907/#Comment_7435907
2.5 has had the peak numbers, at 31k BR players, over the course of a little more than 3 months. That number drops down to 2.5k for players that have played over 2 hours, what I would consider a bare minimum of playtime to be even close to considered as "spending time playing the game", as opposed to just hoping in to check things out. That is 2,500 out of 31,000 that we know CAN play the game, because they have bothered to download it and test it out. So we know that 28,500 players tested it out and didn't bother really playing. Even if we ignore the total backer count, that's an 8% retention (and that's being super lenient considering 2 hours is NOTHING in play time, but we can chalk it up to being alpha).

The highest BR retention was patch 1.0.1 and 2.1, with 12%, while patch 2.4 and 1.1.5 saw the lowest at 5%.

(...)

The average retention rate for all patches is 9% though, and I think that is the most important figure. 9% is bad. Retention weeds out players that backed but are waiting for a more final patch that isn't super alpha, so it weeds out the "alpha" excuse pretty decently.
ὕβρις

bluemax

« Reply #864 on: January 08, 2017, 12:31:11 AM »
The streaming numbers for it are always super low. Like there just isn't much interest in the game anymore aside from people who put money in and people waiting for the collapse.
NO

naff

« Reply #865 on: January 08, 2017, 06:57:55 PM »

Nah, you read me wrong. It's good that this is being talked about. While half of me finds it comical the other half is SUPER bummed out about how this looks like it's going poorly.

Also yes, this changes people's minds on thing. Investors and "industry analysts" are super sensitive to this however nothing has really happened yet. Current views are they have a shit ton of cash and no product. No one really cares about the gossip, lol.

Before this nobody was ever going to invest in a space sim anyway. The combo of Elite Dangerous and No Man's Sky both being terribly shallow and repetitive gameplay wise with a rapid rise and fall in popularity, and financial flops to boot, surely already cemented the demise, after a brief renaissance, for space sims on a large commercial scale. So I guess you could look at this project as the only hope. The way Elite's designed I can't imagine that game being updated enough to ever be any fun beyond the first few hours of exploration.

Idk maybe i'll be proven wrong about Elite, but every time they update with something promising it turns out to be a simple reskin of some prior ability and you never get any additional depth. Like you're just skimming along the surface of what should be interesting content. I haven't gone back to it for a while though, and some of the latest updates do sound promising.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 07:08:36 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #866 on: January 09, 2017, 10:18:55 AM »
Elite : Dangerous is certainly proving that a high production value space sim is a 8 years (or so) affair for adding enough mechanics and content in there.  And their business model seems like the only sensible one to do that : they seem to be doing OK (there's extensive public reports of their finances on their website) but it's not crazy money profit by any means (1,6 and 1,2 millions £ operating profit for 2015 and 2016).

2016 report says they have currently sold 1,8m copies of E:D (with 1m sold through 2016), I wouldn't say it's a flop but it needs to sustain sales over several years, probably.

EDIT :

"missed every dateline ever" is a lie, they hit many deadlines. And by the way there were never any deadlines, there were estimations.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5ms7p9/is_2017_the_year_that_will_once_and_for_all_prove/dc6acjg/
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 10:31:33 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #867 on: January 09, 2017, 08:17:31 PM »
Before this nobody was ever going to invest in a space sim anyway. The combo of Elite Dangerous and No Man's Sky both being terribly shallow and repetitive gameplay wise with a rapid rise and fall in popularity, and financial flops to boot, surely already cemented the demise, after a brief renaissance, for space sims on a large commercial scale. So I guess you could look at this project as the only hope. The way Elite's designed I can't imagine that game being updated enough to ever be any fun beyond the first few hours of exploration.

Idk maybe i'll be proven wrong about Elite, but every time they update with something promising it turns out to be a simple reskin of some prior ability and you never get any additional depth. Like you're just skimming along the surface of what should be interesting content. I haven't gone back to it for a while though, and some of the latest updates do sound promising.

I get what you mean but it's more about general investment and not necessarily the genre. Bad publicity hurts in any regard and people are generally looking to get into "games" not specifically a niche particular, so when something blows up that news bubbles up and tends to scare a portion of that market.

I'm no investor or deal with that sector of the market, just stuff I pick up when exposed to it.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #868 on: January 09, 2017, 09:18:30 PM »
Elite is rad and cool shit is happening in it

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #869 on: January 11, 2017, 04:02:56 AM »
Latest insane rumour : Squadron 42 will be merged in as a tutorial for Star Citizen. A leaker alleges that the motion capture cost 10 to 15m but marketing sucked half of the budget, which is really hard to believe (especially so with the latest disastrous stream and the regular fumbles, it's clear the people in charge are way in over their head). A very informercial and positive article appeared on a "news" website created 5 days ago and people wonders if it's disguised shilling.

Meanwhile, the community managing team is on point as usual :

Dude made a huge document with his mail exchanges with support over this account termination for Rogue One spoilers...
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5n8xh5/the_saga_that_was_my_customer_support_ticket/

« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 04:07:24 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

bluemax

« Reply #870 on: January 12, 2017, 01:17:10 AM »
They've also apparently cut two of their special subscription insider news shows or whatever and only left people with their basic community stream, which is just boring people playing the game that subscribers already own.

I wonder how much more they're gonna turtle up and stop talking to the public, and how their fanbase who was sold on "being a part of every step and having transparency that big companies dont have" will rationalize it. Nevermind that CIG isn't nearly as transparent as they want the fans to believe.
NO

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #871 on: January 12, 2017, 06:19:04 AM »
They've also apparently cut two of their special subscription insider news shows or whatever and only left people with their basic community stream, which is just boring people playing the game that subscribers already own.

I wonder how much more they're gonna turtle up and stop talking to the public, and how their fanbase who was sold on "being a part of every step and having transparency that big companies dont have" will rationalize it. Nevermind that CIG isn't nearly as transparent as they want the fans to believe.

Not gonna lie, it's probably wise to get Chris Roberts off cameras because everytime he opens his mouths he seems to increase the scope of the project. There's probably not enough meaningful content and progress to stretch it across several shows a week anyway.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5n5h06/is_everyone_else_cool_with_losing_the_two_qa/

I dunno how many subscribers there is but at 10$/20$ a month that makes for a cushy secondary stream of revenue (Certainly above 25000$) to produce what are, to my knowledge, talking heads shows done in-house. In fairness, it wouldn't be that outrageous of a budget for a full time team (even stripped to camera operator, sound guy, editor doing all the post stuff, some prop-set guy and a couple of people in charge of writing all the newsletter content) and up to date hardware. Which is even more damning for the terrible, terrible production value of their latest end of year stream. They're in a very privileged position, for an unproven company, to not be hurting for cash for all of their marketing purposes : they can afford to sell tickets for their con up to 45$ too (600 people in live audience). As in most things I don't think they leverage this very well and the bang for the buck ratio looks pretty poor. Despite the millions upon millions collected, their day to day marketing is not very good. The genius lied probably with flaunting nostalgia at the perfect time and milking for all its worth the weak spot of their customers for new ships and grandiose claims.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #872 on: January 12, 2017, 07:05:30 AM »

So what do you see? cool hu? nice! well yes.

But if this image is showing real time moons and planets moving around suns. Then it actually means allot more.

CIG will KNOW the exact time and date over all time zones as to when and where each solar eclipse like this is to take place.

So in posters and videos screens there will be announcements not to forget on such a date the great Eclipse of whatever!!

This would and should mean that creates tourism, so a ton of AI, as well as human players will need to services of tour ship operators to ferry them to these events, this in turn means rich pickings for pirates which in term means more need for security escorts.

This also would create an event for those of us with ships like the Reliant News van. Gotta record those moments in history.

So what is a very nice screen shot, is actually a whole load of stuff to do.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/367602/that-moon-pic-it-means-allot-more-than-you-think
ὕβρις

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #873 on: January 12, 2017, 09:24:19 AM »
I'm having No Man's Sky flashbacks...
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #874 on: January 12, 2017, 09:44:54 AM »
But if this image is showing real time moons and planets moving around suns. Then it actually means allot more.
and if it's not?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #875 on: January 12, 2017, 01:07:47 PM »
Also this gem that is reportedly in the recent article in Der Spiegel, which has been roughly translated to :

"Squadron 42" was still slated for 2016 but the company had to cancel. "This year we will finish" Roberts assures, then briefly in thought. "Probably."

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/367541/chris-roberts-in-der-spiegel-german-magazine-sq42-in-2017-probably
ὕβρις

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #876 on: January 12, 2017, 03:41:07 PM »
My son is begging me to get this for him. Is it worth $35?
©ZH

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #877 on: January 12, 2017, 06:44:54 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, there's not yet any possibility to buy other ships in-game. So he'll be stuck with whatever ship comes bundled with the package (with the exception of free-fly weeks and such) unless you're paying more real cash.
At that price you also only buy ownership of the future multiplayer game and access to its alpha. There's currently a FPS with two modes and two maps, spaceship deathmatch with two maps, and the "MMO" part has 2 maps and a handful of missions.
And it's very early alpha still, it's not as stable as a standard game.

I think those 35$ could be better used on another fully released title but heh, maybe he's aware and he really wants it ?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 07:16:02 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #878 on: January 12, 2017, 06:58:23 PM »
The alien language specialist is talking about that and there's some footage of the motion capture shoot with Serkis...

I think it's a goofy ass priority to have, but it's cool too in a way.
ὕβρις

bluemax

« Reply #879 on: January 14, 2017, 01:39:14 AM »
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/819983982767046660

So it isn't about exposing CIG, its about Derek's ego.
NO

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #880 on: January 14, 2017, 03:10:25 AM »
I don't think there was any doubt about the fact he has an axe to grind. Some good came out of it but a lot is still just "crazy old man yelling at clouds from his soapbox". He's craving the attention and he's robbing a bit of that spotlight. While I don't think it is a valid deflection to some of the SC criticism, the counterpunch that meanwhile he's not exactly making great progress with his own current game seems to be true. He also won't ever admit he's wrong on some points (He preached the bankruptcy of CIG within months a couple of times already).

Also, a new article will be run in a German (what else ?) PC mag and rumor has it that the article seems to hint at Alpha 3.0 being a second part of year release at best... Which wouldn't shock anyone, I think. Hell, CIG is now communicating about a 2.6.1 patch...
ὕβρις

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #881 on: January 14, 2017, 10:04:06 AM »
dog

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #882 on: January 14, 2017, 05:12:57 PM »
Reddit has a (very rough borderline comical) translation of the latest GameStar article :
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5nx7qk/gamestar_article_google_translated/

Reading the official forums, there's lots of dreams for the backers (they elaborate a bit on the possibility of player built long term bases on procedurally generated planets), mention of the elusive "Item 2.0", etc...

Quote from: Croberts
"In this project, things go very fast, even if it does not appear outwardly as if it would go ahead quickly. One constantly has the feeling: We need to finish getting this thing, we need that raushauen, people waiting on it. The community is awesome, but you already feel that they have a huge appetite for everything they can get. And if times a while nothing comes, then they are a bit grumpy.  (...) I will no timetable or an assessment for an appointment rausgeben, but there is still much to do. For 3.0-Star Citizen is something like a complete game with all the important corners. "

Squadron 42 raus schnell schnell !

Some wise words to end :

One may accuse Roberts megalomania, however, speak his previous technical success for him. For more and more playing on safety games industry that rarely even take a risk or something truly groundbreaking new venture, the project is certainly much needed breath of fresh air.

Whether it really is as good in the end, as the Roberts would like, we will find out all probability even, perhaps even this year. However, as with a rise in the unknown regions of a high mountain, we a significant degree will it still have to be patient.

For the 3.0 update, the gist of it is that they hope to share a public schedule on its implementation in January.

Roberts reassured: "First of all, we always have a decent amount of money in reserve, so if all support would collapse, we would not suddenly incapacitated. We plan the scope of the development based on what arrives monthly by the people to support. I'm not worried, because even if no money came in, we would have sufficient funds to complete Squadron 42nd The revenue from this could in turn be used for the completion of Star Citizen."

That's a line that's been used a couple of time in the past and I must say I'm baffled by what "adjusting the scope of development to monthly revenue" means.
ὕβρις

bluemax

« Reply #883 on: January 14, 2017, 06:14:05 PM »
It means they add and remove features depending upon how much money they sca- have donated each month.
NO

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #884 on: January 17, 2017, 06:43:13 PM »
http://i.imgur.com/X6mw3Bd.webm

Darek Smert is currently tweeting about a handful of departures at high-level positions in CIG and an alleged downsizing. Also (semi-?)seriously trolling Citizens about a rumor that they would maybe try to get the single player game on Xbox. The latter doesn't sound too believable because it would a death-kneel for a lot of the PC Master Racist segment of their backers. Doesn't even make sense considering Kered Trams believes (probably correctly) that the Squadron 42 single player game is not really anywhere and certainly not near of being in a form that could be submitted to certification : that CIG can't actually make the games is his whole schtick.

CIG just released a video for subscribers, a "town hall" (actually four CIG honchos being interviewed on submitted question with no audience), but there wasn't a lot about concrete progress and dates.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5ol7zy/star_citizen_subscribers_town_hall_persistent/

People ask but CIG is not interested in answering yet. I'm seeing devs repeat what they said 6+ months ago and I'm starting to have some doubts about just how far we are in either 3.0 or SQ42.

36 minutes of theory, wouldn't it be kool if we, and this is how we want it to work. Not a single statement of " This is how it is, we have it nailed down, and are developing it." I love this game, but I am getting so very tired of concepts without anything to show.

Anything about new clothes? Or cloth physics? Rugs I can place in my ships? Towels? Socks? DSWR-Shirts? Anything?

This is a known goon. Please don't feed the troll.

Counterpoint: DO feed the troll because it will be more fun than that boring as fuck video.

Oh look. ANOTHER goon with absolutely nothing better to do in his (or her) day except to trawl SA, reddit and God knows what other sites just to make papa Derek happy. Please kindly gtfo already.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 06:51:53 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

benjipwns

« Reply #885 on: January 17, 2017, 09:07:19 PM »
Man the Russian propagandists are everywhere, I guess bringing down America encouraged them to think they could bring down Star Citizen.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Derek Smart was always a Russian agent. :ohhh
[close]

nudemacusers

« Reply #886 on: January 17, 2017, 09:10:55 PM »
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #887 on: January 18, 2017, 04:41:09 AM »
Frontier Forums's Rolan with the recap of the latest "Town Hall" :

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259596-The-Star-Citizen-Thread-v5?p=5026686&viewfull=1#post5026686

Q: Will individual planets have unique terrain and how will this contribute to gameplay?

A: Planning a lot more ecosystems and variety than was shown in the Homestead Demo. There will be different challenges in terms of weather, wildlife and resources, more variety of ecosystems than Star Wars

Than Star Wars What ? The movie(s) ? What a weird point of comparison to have.

[29:43] Q: Will it be possible in the distant future to ‘retire’ your character to a planet for a quiet life? Like a mini game ala Harvest Moon.

:doge

[31:59] Q: Will other races or factions use different currencies and will there be variation in exchange rates?

​A: Starting out there will just be UEC but longer term there may be currencies for Xi'an and Banu although player’s probably wouldn't trade in those. Much longer term, (i.e. if/when there are playable alien races) it would probably make sense to have currencies for those races. Even then we probably won't have an identical translation mechanism everywhere which provides opportunities for arbitrage, etc.​

etc. I mean really, how much work can it be for our dev team to program that in ?
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #888 on: January 19, 2017, 02:47:07 AM »
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/821899836307947520

:comeon
Having a make-up artist is perfectly normal, especially if you have even a minimum amount of lighting. You would shit on the poor production value if they hadn't and came in raw on camera.
Plus it's probably not a grievous expense if the artist is contracted just for shooting days. There's probably quite a few counts of ludicrous money spending taking precedence on that one.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #889 on: January 19, 2017, 07:28:07 AM »
Technical argument on the Frontier forums :

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259596-The-Star-Citizen-Thread-v5?p=5031303&viewfull=1#post5031303

(Goes on for the next pages)

TLDR : Apparently up until now, the state of doors was coded client side and linked to visibility instead of server side.
ὕβρις

bluemax

« Reply #890 on: January 20, 2017, 01:26:52 AM »
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/821899836307947520

:comeon
Having a make-up artist is perfectly normal, especially if you have even a minimum amount of lighting. You would shit on the poor production value if they hadn't and came in raw on camera.
Plus it's probably not a grievous expense if the artist is contracted just for shooting days. There's probably quite a few counts of ludicrous money spending taking precedence on that one.

I saw this one, sometimes (most times) Derek tries too hard.
NO

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #891 on: January 21, 2017, 01:57:24 AM »
To the surprise... of no one really, the latest production schedule has been updated : CIG is planning on releasing patch 2.6.1 mid February at the earliest which will be followed by a 2.6.2. The major milestone patch 3.0, which was announced and "showed" last August and ideally expected to drop at the end of 2016 per the dev's terms, is now coming at the earliest in April/May... And more reasonably by year's end if even that.

But they claim they'll have a server for the "Australasia region" with 2.6.2, thanks to having switched from Google Cloud to AWS, so there's that for down under backers.

On the project management side, department heads from all four studios were in LA this week to continue high level meetings on a number of topics, including the 2.6.2, 3.0 production schedules, which we'll provide more specifics on 3.0 as soon as they are set. It’s easy to rough in a schedule for what we want to accomplish, but fleshing out the details and getting revised bids from all our leads around the world takes time and an immense amount of coordination.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 03:00:11 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #892 on: January 21, 2017, 03:41:47 AM »
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/369001/the-lack-of-concrete-dates-make-me-think

Game development is not an exact science. You can't accurately predict when something will be done

Lack of concrete dates is a big + in my book.

:lol

Edit :

Oh and it's a survival game now too ? :yeshrug
"We're Wing Commander, ARMA, NMS and Elite Dangerous"

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/368232/starvation-and-death-by-thirst-and-cold-confirmed
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 06:57:23 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #893 on: January 21, 2017, 02:02:49 PM »
Yeah give them a break, they had no idea what they were doing.
rub

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #894 on: January 21, 2017, 06:56:07 PM »
New article in German mag Gamestar :

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5paz23/gamestar_star_citizen_preview_part_2_summary/

My hater dishonest selection :

Free translation what C.R. said: The custom Star Citizen Hotas is currently on hold. Since Logitech bought Saitek, the communication is very slow. Because they made the Hotas together with Saitek, Logitech can't use it without CIG. They have to make a new deal and if this doesn't happen, they have to find a new partner and start from scratch. It's really disappointing because they put much effort into this.

Why am I not surprised...

Gamestar asks, how cities like Terra Prime will work in 3.0. C.R. answers: Some time ago when people extracted files from the game, Terra Prime should be only allowed to be flying at from a specific angle. Because of this, areas near the "road" where highly detailed and further away objects not. But this changed. Now you can fly to Terra Prime from every angle (over Terra Prime still with restricted paths). But this means that the city has to be fully detailed and fleshed out.

???

But you will definitely be able to swim. And there will be boats and some ships will be landable on the water.

Sure throw in boats, at this point...

New ships will be introduced through ingame events like the Intergalactic Aerospace Expo. There will be official races and Sataball matches (Sataball after 3.0)

Weird 0G football is still in, which is kind of a relief (honest !)

The author also analysed the stretch-goals. He mad a list and added a comment on it. I will not copy or translate the list because I think this isn't really interesting and if I remember correctly this is already done by the community somewhere. But the summary from this analysis is:

32 goals reached
    31 goals partially fulfilled or currently in work
    48 goals not yet in work or no info on them
    1 goal (100 Systems on release) maybe not doable (Subjective assessment)

TLDR: All the awesome shit is just over that hill at the end of the year, it's the last one for real real this time. Please continue to wire money.
ὕβρις

bluemax

« Reply #895 on: January 22, 2017, 12:42:48 AM »
I watched someone streaming Star Marine or whatever the other night. It looked like a generic sci fi FPS (but pretty), but the funny part was when someone asked him about why none of the guns had scopes and he started talking about ITEM TWO DOT OH and how all the scopes are bugged while they implement that.
NO

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #896 on: January 22, 2017, 04:57:33 AM »
Item 2.0 will also slice bread better, judging by how it's bandied about by backers.

Of course 100 systems on release isn't going to be doable if you want to make each and every system basically an entire game's worth of interesting and non-copy-paste content.

I have no issue whatsoever with ANY stretch goal being post-release if it means the core functionality can be pushed sooner.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5paz23/gamestar_star_citizen_preview_part_2_summary/dcqi2ll/

The guy is touching the problem with both hands at this point (100 games worth of content woooooh) without realising it.

It was never planned to be on-release anyway. Stretch goals are not guaranteed for at launch, especially that one.

$6m stretch goal:

Star Citizen will launch with 100 star systems.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5paz23/gamestar_star_citizen_preview_part_2_summary/dcqjqak/

Which they indeed starting saying might not happen.

Meanwhile Derek Smart was invited to live Youtube show (PCInvasion IIRC) to speak about SC then Ben Parry (Programmer at CIG, formerly working on Elite) joined. Apparently the discussion followed the template of their interactions on Frontier's board : Heated debate on programming at a rather technical and obscure level then sterile back & forth. I'm putting the link for the sake of exhaustiveness but it's a 5+ hour show with Derek Smart so  :doge
EDIT : I apologize because I was led to believe that they discussed on that stream, but reading more about it it's not clear they were. Ben Parry did join, but after Smart was out.

What surprises me is the freedom Ben Parry seems to enjoy in engaging Smart (They had half a dozen back & forths at this point). He's of course very cautious to only speak of his narrow first-hand knowledge, but still... It doesn't sound like he's being ordered to or officially sanctioned. Props to him anyway.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 07:02:28 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #897 on: January 23, 2017, 12:33:36 PM »
 :goldberg
And until CIG folds you cannot say he isn't going to deliver. He's promised to deliver the stretch goals....what he hasn't done is promise that the money which unlocks them is the same as the money needed to implement them. Nor has he provided a date when the stretch goals will be implemented. He is also on record as stating that the game will not launch with all the stretch goals, and also that in the event that funding ceases, the game will indeed NOT have all the stretch goals implemented

People have paid for the stretch goals. And now he is asking for the money to actually add them to the game. To make the game bigger and richer.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259596-The-Star-Citizen-Thread-v5?p=5052335&viewfull=1#post5052335

:neogaf You can't be serious.
ὕβρις

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #898 on: January 23, 2017, 01:21:51 PM »
People have paid for the stretch goals.

And now he is asking for the money to actually add them to the game.

:neogaf
dog

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #899 on: January 23, 2017, 02:49:20 PM »
Can't wait to buy this game for $20 in 2028
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 02:53:38 PM by CatsCatsCats »