Author Topic: Pokémon GO  (Read 58659 times)

Mandark

• Icon
Re: Pokémon GO - Smartphone AR game by former Google developers
« Reply #120 on: July 12, 2016, 02:13:04 PM »
Also got a couple "Your item bag is full." Of course they sell you a larger bag for real money. Of course they set an item limit that anyone who doesn't battle constantly is going to hit really quickly. Of course the game doesn't default to giving you pokeballs, which don't count towards the limit, if you can't carry any more potions and shit.

Dude you can just throw away items you don't want to make room.

Tasty

« Reply #121 on: July 12, 2016, 02:40:50 PM »
>complains about not having enough pokeballs
>complains about having too many items

:nintendo

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #122 on: July 12, 2016, 04:11:58 PM »
So is this like the most relevant thing Nintendo has done since the Wii? Everybody around me seems to be playing it.
In terms of audience reach, yeah.
Hi

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #123 on: July 12, 2016, 04:25:03 PM »
It kinda sucks that rural areas are a dead zone for this game, you'd expect there to be some good shit out in the boonies but it's a ghost town...
^_^

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #124 on: July 12, 2016, 04:40:02 PM »
how does the game determine what are landmarks? Google maps?
pcp

Tasty

« Reply #125 on: July 12, 2016, 04:54:12 PM »
how does the game determine what are landmarks? Google maps?

Google Maps + years of Ingress player feedback

Tasty

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
Re: Pokémon GO
« Reply #127 on: July 12, 2016, 07:27:40 PM »
Conspiracy to get people to turn over their Google accounts!!

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #128 on: July 12, 2016, 08:03:07 PM »
Ugh my eevee became vaporeon, dumb

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #129 on: July 12, 2016, 09:46:13 PM »
🍆🍆

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #130 on: July 12, 2016, 09:59:49 PM »
WDW

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #131 on: July 12, 2016, 11:44:45 PM »
Omfg :lol

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #132 on: July 13, 2016, 07:00:27 AM »
How to love this game:
- Live in a large city
- Work in office directly on top of a gym and pokestop in a neighbourhood full of tech people
zzzzz

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #133 on: July 13, 2016, 08:16:41 AM »
This game is locking up a lot on me and its getting annoying.  It was also funny wandering around yesterday and there were groups of people at the pokestops and gyms.  People of all ages, sizes, and colors too.
🍆🍆

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #134 on: July 13, 2016, 08:25:03 AM »
We went to the big park downtown last night and there were lures popping off everywhere and pretty much every second person was playing the game.

And this is in Canada where the game hasn't even officially launched yet. This might be the most "pirated" game of all time.
zzzzz

Tasty

« Reply #135 on: July 13, 2016, 11:28:17 AM »

Tasty

« Reply #136 on: July 13, 2016, 11:48:19 AM »
Vince McMahon:

Israeli Prime Minister:

BBC News:

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #137 on: July 13, 2016, 12:45:52 PM »
That Meowth... :doge
WDW

Tasty

« Reply #138 on: July 13, 2016, 12:51:35 PM »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #139 on: July 13, 2016, 03:20:34 PM »
i don't get it
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #140 on: July 13, 2016, 03:28:03 PM »
Jews, money, coins, meowth
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #141 on: July 13, 2016, 03:35:04 PM »
ah ok
pcp

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #142 on: July 13, 2016, 08:34:07 PM »
I'm ashamed to say I am catching them pokemons.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #143 on: July 13, 2016, 08:44:48 PM »
what is the point of powering up pokemons
pcp

Tasty

« Reply #144 on: July 13, 2016, 09:09:35 PM »
what is the point of powering up pokemons

Taking over gyms, which will get you free Pokecoins and stardust.

« Reply #145 on: July 13, 2016, 11:32:25 PM »
The Pokestop thing is really puzzling. How are there Pokestops on military bases and other restricted areas?

Tasty

« Reply #146 on: July 14, 2016, 01:08:16 AM »
The Pokestop thing is really puzzling. How are there Pokestops on military bases and other restricted areas?

Most of it was automated from Google Maps.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #147 on: July 14, 2016, 01:40:08 AM »
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-pokemon-go-attempted-murder-fullerton-20160713-snap-story.html
Javier Soch and Seth Ortega went to downtown Fullerton on Tuesday hoping to hunt monsters on the new "Pokemon Go” smartphone game.

Instead, the Marine Corps veterans helped police in the Orange County city catch a man who was bothering children at a playground. Investigators later learned the man, identified as Jacob Kells, was wanted for attempted murder by authorities in Monterey County.

“It’s not what we were expecting our day to turn out with,” said Ortega, who is pursuing his associate’s degree in automotive technology at nearby Fullerton College.

“The game, when it loads up on the screen, says to be cautious of your surroundings. Strongly follow that advice.”

Ortega, 24, and Soch, 26, who are roommates in Placentia, arrived downtown about 9 a.m. and played the smartphone game for an hour.
Soch said the experience has not diminished his enjoyment of the “Pokemon Go” game.

« Reply #148 on: July 14, 2016, 06:59:30 AM »

Some of the Pokestops are inside buildings so this doesn't make sense. And again, I'm talking about restricted areas that Street View wouldn't have access too. It's puzzling.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #149 on: July 14, 2016, 07:05:05 AM »
Tried this last night.  Took the dog for a walk and we saw something that ended up being a gym nearby.  As we walked towards it (a church), we saw a car come very slowly around the corner and keep stopping.  There was a dude in there with his phone out right near where the gym marker was.  We go into the church parking lot and a cop car starts coming towards us.  There's a landmark where you can get stuff and he stops right in front of it for a minute, then speeds off.   :lol

Anyway, I really don't "get" this game.  It's more fun watching other people try to find this shit.
ど助平

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #150 on: July 14, 2016, 07:24:41 AM »
I'll admit I will try this when it finally releases here in 10 years.

Tasty

« Reply #151 on: July 14, 2016, 09:20:56 AM »

Some of the Pokestops are inside buildings so this doesn't make sense. And again, I'm talking about restricted areas that Street View wouldn't have access too. It's puzzling.

Street View has gone inside many buildings, actually. Mostly shops and malls though.

It's possible the people inside the locations you're talking about were big Ingress players though, and they petitioned to Niantic to add portals there or whatever.

Tasty

« Reply #152 on: July 14, 2016, 09:23:26 AM »
Me atm

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #153 on: July 14, 2016, 09:55:55 AM »

They've gotten the locations from a mix of ways it seems:

Whether it's your local church, an art installation, a public library, or just a big ol' water tower, Pokemon Go has chosen some … interesting locations for its Pokestops and gyms. They're not random, but they're also somewhat scattershot in their placement. One neighborhood could be bursting at the seams with Pokestops and gyms, while another could be a desolate wasteland. So what's the deal? It turns out, a lot of Pokemon Go's designs can be traced back to Google.

While Pokemon Go may be the first time many players have heard of developer Niantic Labs, it's a studio that traces its lineage back to Google (whose parent company is now known as "Alphabet"). Niantic was once part of Google, and its founder and CEO, John Hanke, worked on the technology that powers Google Maps. That tech was used in Niantic's previous game, Ingress. And Ingress, much like a Metapod becoming Butterfree, has evolved - in its own way - to become Pokemon Go.

Much like Pokemon Go, Ingress is a game of geolocation. Players must travel to specific locations to capture portals, which link with other captured sites to form zones controlled by whichever faction holds those points. Hanke and his team chose some of the first portals based on sites with historical or cultural significance, such as The Washington Monument, Big Ben, or longstanding museums.

Other locations were chosen based on geo-tagged photos from Google. For example, you might not have much interest in, or even know about, the world's largest ball of twine (located in Cawker City, Kansas by the way) but the fact that so many tourists take pictures of it and upload those pictures to Google would make it a prime candidate for an Ingress portal.

Many more portals were submitted as suggestions by Ingress players. Hanke recently told Mashable that there are approximately 15 million player-submitted portal locations, 5 million of which have been approved.

Ingress player data has revealed the most popular of these portal locations, and Niantic has turned those into gyms. The less popular (but still active and approved) locations have become Pokestops. "The Pokestops are submitted by users, so obviously they're based on places people go," Hanke said. "We had essentially two and a half years of people going to all the places where they thought they should be able to play Ingress, so it's some pretty remote places."

It can lead to some interesting situations where the landscape has changed over time. I can personally tell you of two stories, each revolving around water towers (look, I live in central Iowa, we don't have a lot of super cool landmarks, okay?).

One nearby Pokestop is assigned to an old water tower that existed during Ingress' launch window, but was torn down by the time Pokemon Go was released. So down the street is a Pokestop pointing me to something that no longer exists.

Meanwhile in Des Moines, a gym is assigned to a water tower stationed outside a nearby mall. That makes sense - the mall is a popular area, and the water tower is an easy-to-see landmark - however, the water tower is surrounded by a tall chain-link fence with barbed wire around the top, and a big "NO TRESPASSING" warning on the gate. Because of this, it's not possible to get close enough to actually interact with the gym.

That is, unless you fool the app by closing it and re-opening it, hoping the GPS signal will think you're on the other side of the fence - a trick I definitely did not do, and do not suggest any central Iowa players reading this try. Unless you are Team Mystic, in which case: we cool.

So if you're wondering why Pokemon Go seems to be telling you to go to church, or the local art installation, odds are that it's actually following in the footsteps of a tourist whose picture is circulating on Google or an Ingress player who suggested it. Maybe they were distracting themselves from a lengthy sermon, maybe it was a good place to meet up with fellow players, or maybe the world has changed since those days, closing off what once was.

I say, make up your own stories for these places. And good luck catching 'em all.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #154 on: July 14, 2016, 10:29:59 AM »
I wish there was more I can do with the game when I'm not out and about. I know the point of the game is to go out and catch Pokemon, but I wish there was a more I can do with the Pokemon after I've caught them. Right now you can only transfer them, power them up, or evolve them. I'd like more things I can tinker with when I'm just sitting at my desk at work.

I also hope there are some "event" style scenarios like maybe a rare Pokemon shows up for a limited time in specific locations. Or a Pokemon trainer pops up randomly and whoever beats him gets a cool reward.

nat

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #155 on: July 14, 2016, 11:15:01 AM »
The PokeStops out here in Toronto are 90% graffiti murals. You could actually use the game to plot some neat street art walking tours if you were so inclined.
zzzzz

Tasty

« Reply #156 on: July 14, 2016, 11:35:55 AM »
I wish there was more I can do with the game when I'm not out and about. I know the point of the game is to go out and catch Pokemon, but I wish there was a more I can do with the Pokemon after I've caught them. Right now you can only transfer them, power them up, or evolve them. I'd like more things I can tinker with when I'm just sitting at my desk at work.

I also hope there are some "event" style scenarios like maybe a rare Pokemon shows up for a limited time in specific locations. Or a Pokemon trainer pops up randomly and whoever beats him gets a cool reward.

Considering this was in the original trailer (Mewtwo) I'm sure this will be the case.

It'd be cool if they added something like Pokemon-amie. I wouldn't use it, but it'd be something to do when there's no Pokemon around.

I'd like some kind of friends list and social feed that aggregates everyone's journals. It'd be a good incentive if I saw that so-and-so caught an Electabuzz yesterday at X location to go there myself.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #157 on: July 14, 2016, 11:39:18 AM »
How fixed are Pokemon positions though? I keep seeing things where people are mapping where they find Pokemon but in my experience I'm going to the same places and getting different Pokemon

Tasty

« Reply #158 on: July 14, 2016, 11:41:00 AM »
How fixed are Pokemon positions though? I keep seeing things where people are mapping where they find Pokemon but in my experience I'm going to the same places and getting different Pokemon

I assume it's about 50/50, sometimes the Pokemon move or it isn't the right time of day to catch them, but I do think it's likely that they're tied to an area in a certain way.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #159 on: July 14, 2016, 12:04:53 PM »
I would like to see them work on the walking tracking -- I get they don't want people just driving around clocking mileage, but I've been walking and walking this morning trying to clear a final .03 km on a hatch

Edit: fittingly, this turned out to be a slowpoke :lol
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 12:41:33 PM by CatsCatsCats »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #160 on: July 14, 2016, 12:46:04 PM »
http://www.theonion.com/graphic/what-pokemon-go-53204

Q: Should I worry about the amount of information that I will expose about myself by using the app?
A: It’s never stopped you before

Q: Is some part of this game’s popularity among adults deeply, indescribably sad?
A: Yes
©@©™

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #161 on: July 14, 2016, 01:22:59 PM »
Is "The Walrus" the "etoilet" of Pokemon GO?
fat

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #162 on: July 14, 2016, 01:41:05 PM »
I can only imagine the rage of missing with a master ball

Also, I'm pretty sure the nice and excellent is about hitting it in the circle but doesn't necessarily mean anything about the chance of it capturing. Could be wrong
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 01:53:59 PM by CatsCatsCats »

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #163 on: July 14, 2016, 01:56:25 PM »
That's not cannon for a master ball :doge

Tasty

« Reply #164 on: July 14, 2016, 02:19:08 PM »
I can only imagine the rage of missing with a master ball

Also, I'm pretty sure the nice and excellent is about hitting it in the circle but doesn't necessarily mean anything about the chance of it capturing. Could be wrong

Hitting it in the circle = Nice!, Excellent!, etc. are just XP bonuses I think

The only thing that increases catch rate is making the inner circle as small as possible.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #165 on: July 14, 2016, 02:37:54 PM »
Yeah that is my understanding as well. Razz Berries don't seem to do a whole hell of a lot besides take the spot of a pokeball at a stop. Been just using them on everything

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #166 on: July 14, 2016, 03:48:20 PM »
This not tracking my walking is starting to piss me off

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #168 on: July 14, 2016, 05:57:13 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/DonaldTrump/videos/vb.153080620724/10157309144940725/?type=2&theater

:dead

Jordan Harris I voted for Obama. And I am so sorry to my fellow Americans. I thought it would cool to have a Black President I didn't realize he was going to let all His Muslim people invade Us! This time I am voting for OUR kids Future! #IAmWithTrump For A Stronger More Unified America! #IAmWithHim #Trump2016
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #169 on: July 14, 2016, 08:44:01 PM »

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #170 on: July 14, 2016, 09:28:47 PM »
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trump-i-wish-i-had-time-to-play-pokemon-go/article/2596482
Donald Trump would like to catch 'em all.

But he's busy running for president.

In an interview with the Washington Examiner on Thursday, the Republican nominee said he wishes he could join in the craze over the new smartphone game "Pokemon Go."

"I don't, but people are playing it. No question about it," he said. "I do not. I wish I had time."

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #171 on: July 14, 2016, 09:31:19 PM »
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trump-i-wish-i-had-time-to-play-pokemon-go/article/2596482
Donald Trump would like to catch 'em all.

But he's busy running for president.

In an interview with the Washington Examiner on Thursday, the Republican nominee said he wishes he could join in the craze over the new smartphone game "Pokemon Go."

"I don't, but people are playing it. No question about it," he said. "I do not. I wish I had time."

What kind of dank meme response do you think Hillary will hit Trump with?

I'm so excited to see it.

Can't believe they made politics great again.

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #172 on: July 14, 2016, 11:59:40 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

What kind of dank meme response do you think Hillary will hit Trump with?

I'm so excited to see it.

Can't believe they made politics great again.
https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/753689842291183616?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
Trump's going to be our next president, isn't he  :fbm

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #173 on: July 15, 2016, 01:43:59 AM »
i just checked twitch and there's people livestreaming this whole they wander all over the place. this is amazing.
pcp

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #174 on: July 15, 2016, 09:21:39 AM »
This is the town I work in (and where my ex is from). It's a dumpy town but not to the point where I'd expected there would be a robbery over this:

http://longisland.news12.com/news/police-teen-robbed-at-gunpoint-playing-pokemon-go-1.12042757
^_^

Tasty

« Reply #175 on: July 15, 2016, 02:13:43 PM »
Welcome to four years ago :ufup

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #176 on: July 15, 2016, 03:15:29 PM »
Why do all player's faces where the level is look like Alyx Vance fro HL2?

©ZH

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #177 on: July 15, 2016, 03:16:54 PM »
Way more interested in the slowbro pounding that slowpoke from behind

Tasty

« Reply #178 on: July 15, 2016, 03:45:27 PM »
Way more interested in the slowbro pounding that slowpoke from behind

Where's the HSOWA :phil

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #179 on: July 15, 2016, 07:28:09 PM »
Wtf I just read if you miss you can pick your pokeball back up by tapping on it....

And that you can summon Pokemon with no tracks next to them if you select them