Author Topic: Fighting Games Thread: GAROU 2 GAROU 2 GAROU 2 GAROU 2  (Read 428780 times)

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
Re: Fightan Games Thread
« Reply #360 on: February 17, 2016, 05:14:08 PM »
Abel & Juri are good imo, also Dhalsim's redesign in 5 is neat. Other than that both sf4 and 5 are generally garish and unappealing visually.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #361 on: February 17, 2016, 05:25:08 PM »
I dunno, dinosaur dude looks better than any of the new SF5 characters (although is Dinosaur dude just Tizoc from Garou with a new mask?).

Yeah, he's clearly Tizoc/Griffin Mask with another mask/tail.  Sounds like the same voice actor, too.  I like it.  :lol

I really hate all the SF new character designs from 4 onwards (Rufus  :yuck).  Rashid is the only ok one even though he's just a blatant stereotype.  Miss the old-school SF designs.

I'm mixed on 4's new characters.  From the original four, Viper is awesome (although she looks like someone who belongs in KOF...and it makes sense given that former KOF staff worked on the game) and Abel is good, too.  The latter looks like a character who would feel right at home in SF2 in 1991.  Classic style design, although a bit bland, I suppose.  That's just referring to their designs, though.  I'm not big on their play styles (although I like Viper in Marvel, oddly enough).  Rufus is just garbage (Bob from Tekken is how you do a fat man) and Fuerte...eeeeeh.  Seth looks dumb.  Gouken is not a new design and comes from manga.  Then in Super, Juri is great but Hakan looks straight up goofy and stupid.  Not as bad as Rufus, but getting there.

Now in SFV- I like Rashid.  I like Laura.  I like FANG.  I even like Necalli although his dress doesn't fit the game at all, but he's totally a pillar man from JoJo's so he gets a pass.  :doge

New KoF trailer looks pretty good.  First time the game doesn't visually look like shit.  Looks solid now and with 50 character roster and improved KoFXIII mechanics it could be a neat game.

The models look PS2, but the animation is pretty good.  More detail than it looks at first glance, too, like Benimaru's lighning in his win pose actually spelling out "Thank you" briefly.  :lol
ど助平

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #362 on: February 17, 2016, 05:30:16 PM »
I really hate all the SF new character designs from 4 onwards (Rufus  :yuck).  Rashid is the only ok one even though he's just a blatant stereotype.

Excuse me? Larua?????

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #363 on: February 17, 2016, 05:50:13 PM »

:bow KING OF DINOSAURS :bow2
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #364 on: February 21, 2016, 04:37:08 AM »
Had an all-night session with a couple of my local fighting game friends tonight.  First time in a couple of years.  We played: SFV, GG Xrd, Dengeki Bunko Climax, and ended with some Blazblue Chrono Phantasm Extend.

It was interesting.  SFV was solid for everyone, but no one really loved it (I think I'm the most positive on it in our group).  At this point after some time with SFV I appreciate the paired down back to basic approach, but the first impressions of my friends who've been playing fighting games for 20 years were "wait, where is X move for my character that I'm used to?", the smaller movelists, changed movelists for returning characters made it a little less fun because no one knew what they were doing and it wasn't easy to pick up like SFIV was.  I'm cool with the changed movelists because it helps make some of the returners feel fresh.  Feels kind of crazy to not have charge characters after some time with it.  Like I'm so used to a db position with guile/nash/remy, learning to counter jumping attacks with new non-charge Nash is pretty different.

After a couple hours of SFV, we changed up to Xrd.  People liked Xrd (loved the graphics), but thought it felt kind of off compared to GGXX.  Mostly the slower speed.  Was still fun and everyone loved the new characters like Sin/Bedman/Ephelet, but after about an hour or two, moved on.  Dengeki Bunko was fun for a bit as a simple fighter just to check out the characters and supports.  The basketball loli was hilarious, since it just looked like a loli and then suddenly she's dunking on characters and turning them into basketballs and it was like holy shit this is the best movelist. 

Then we finished on Blazblue Chrono Phantasm Extend, having not played Blazblue since the first Blazblue release with like 12 characters.  Man, had amazing matches.  Everyone agreed it was the best fighter of the night.  The combat just felt good.  Fast, exciting, large cast with really interesting diverse movelists and playstyles, great combo stuff.  Had some of the best fighting matches in years.  Got me back into BB.  Gonna play it SP and go through all the trials and learn all the new characters.  I was playing as some new guy with a big sword and multiple air/stand/low/f-standing stances each with unique A/B/C attacks coming off them + charge character sonic boom/flash kick attacks + good normals.  Dude was crazy fun to play as.  Also was playing the Valkyrie girl who was pretty interesting as well.  Such a great series.  I love GG, but I think BB may have become the stronger game between the two.

But yeah, looking forward to spending a lot more time with SFV and BB CPE.  Everyone had such a good time, we talked about getting back to regular fighting nights once every few weeks, though who knows if it'll actually happen.  Everyone's married and working full time and stuff so it's harder to get together to play games compared to our 20s.

Mods Help

« Reply #365 on: February 21, 2016, 04:53:29 AM »
BBCPE and XRD are great

thisismyusername

« Reply #366 on: February 24, 2016, 08:54:45 PM »
Someone updated that Fighting Game Fans picture...

https://twitter.com/AlzarathEX/status/558030701837037568

Mods Help

« Reply #367 on: February 24, 2016, 11:32:16 PM »
:rofl

Fucking Tekken and UNIEL

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #368 on: February 26, 2016, 03:07:51 PM »
I don't get the Tekken one.  :-[  Unless it's just making fun of how much people study frame data and strategies.
ど助平

Mods Help

« Reply #369 on: February 26, 2016, 04:45:02 PM »
I don't get the Tekken one.  :-[  Unless it's just making fun of how much people study frame data and strategies.

people joke you need to take a university class to understand tekken :rofl

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #370 on: February 26, 2016, 08:17:24 PM »
Tekken is a surprisingly easy game to learn though. Hell I'm a damn idiot and I figured it out.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #371 on: February 26, 2016, 09:14:29 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

OK, that's pretty dope.
Not a big fan of Maxima Vanquish suit or Leona showing way more cleavage.
ὕβρις

thisismyusername

« Reply #372 on: February 28, 2016, 07:47:49 PM »
https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CcUgto8XEAEd9pa.mp4

:lol PC version of SF5 is worth this alone.

thisismyusername

« Reply #373 on: February 28, 2016, 07:52:08 PM »
OMG there's a video of this:

Edit: OMG it comes from GAF. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=197051579&postcount=9866
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 08:12:39 PM by thisismyusername »

Mods Help

« Reply #374 on: February 28, 2016, 08:29:13 PM »
:rofl

Beezy

« Reply #375 on: February 28, 2016, 10:31:37 PM »
 :dead :dead :dead

Bebpo

« Reply #376 on: February 29, 2016, 07:41:39 PM »
I finally sat down and read all the Guilty Gear story.  Pretty fun.  Looking forward to Revelator now, whereas if it wasn't for seeing the next part of the story, I probably would've skipped it and picked up the next entry for more new content per buck.  Arc really goes out of their way to have full package fighting games with all the training stuff, challenges, mini-story modes, full-on story modes, etc... makes me wish Capcom ever bothered.  It's not just SFV, even like MvC3 didn't have much beyond versus fighting.  I'd love it if Capcom actually put a single player mode like the VF4 Evo Quest Mode or Soul Calibur weapon master mode, or Rival Schools 2 I think had a cool mode as well that was its own separate disc, or something like Arc does in their fighters. 

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #377 on: February 29, 2016, 07:48:29 PM »
street fighter alpha 3's world tour mode is capcom's best effort on that front imo

Mods Help

« Reply #378 on: February 29, 2016, 07:55:21 PM »
it's not opinion. it's fact. sfa3 is the only real effort put into single player.

thisismyusername

« Reply #379 on: February 29, 2016, 08:39:20 PM »
it's not opinion. it's fact. sfa3 is the only real effort put into single player.

*hand raise*

Excuse me, Professor Mods: But are you forgetting Soul Calibur 2's Weapon Master mode? Or is this strictly a Capcom class?

Edit: Oh, read Brob and skipped over "Capcom's"... still, SC2 applies for single-player mentions.

Mods Help

« Reply #380 on: February 29, 2016, 10:09:30 PM »
Saying sfa3 is the only real fighting game effort put in sp makes no sense. Virtually every major fg except most Capcom games have notable sp campaigns. Sfa3 is really Capcom's only true genuine effort. Meanwhile GGXX had innovative story modes as early as 2003 and Virtua fighter had long single player campaigns against AI made from top Japan players as early as 2002.

Capcom's response is odd too considering sfa3 was the probably the most successful game of that era in terms of home releases at the time. Being released on psx and dc helps. Sfa3 has even had a great remake and it remains one of the more popular SF's and kick started the international fighting game scene but Capcom has learned nothing from that game.

IF SFV didn't have shitty survival mode and had a world tour mode instead SFV's Metacritic would be in the 90's.

Real talk.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #381 on: March 01, 2016, 01:06:43 AM »

"is it mechanically possible to fuck yourself?"

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #382 on: March 02, 2016, 01:44:30 PM »
I meant to try the MKXL update last night, but the update didn't auto-download and it had to download like 6GB first.  Anyone try it out?
ど助平

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #383 on: March 06, 2016, 08:24:12 AM »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #384 on: March 15, 2016, 06:09:50 AM »
Time heals the butthurt and I'm warming up to KoF XIV. Still need work but the simple graphics might work to its advantage, it's nice to see SNK being very active in promoting it and the switch to 3D seems to allow them to have an easier time with the assets : never was a fan of Chang / Choi but there was something amiss in the latest games without them. No Blue Mary in the leak saddens me.

Will have to see if the new characters ain't too corny, tho, character art revealed and the leaked portraits doesn't look too hot (very generic anime face template... King is meh. But I liked the 2001 art with the noodle arms so...). Honestly I liked a few of the characters from the KoF99-Eolith era and wouldn't mind seeing them back in, hopefully, upcoming games (Vanessa, Jhun to name a couple). Will have to see if the music and BG lives up to the heritage, but there's already some classic riffs there (Which KoF has the aquarium stage ? I'm thinking 99, but maybe not as it has the Natural History Museum...).
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 06:14:42 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #385 on: March 15, 2016, 02:49:27 PM »
2000 has the aquarium iirc.
ど助平

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #386 on: March 16, 2016, 05:55:38 AM »
2000 has the aquarium iirc.

Yup, thanks.

Another thing : since 3D has less workloads than HD sprites, I really hope SNK includes a lot special fight intros between characters. I also miss having your teammates in the background a la KoF98. Those small details are really what gives a game some character. I wouldn't mind a decent story hook too, even though it's really trivial in the grand scheme of things.

Reading MMcafe ( :like ), I learnt that the KoF94 team was staffed with a lot of IREM staff.

On April 29th, the game will be featured in a FG tournament in Osaka. Maybe a larger content reveal as it is SNK historic site.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 06:01:10 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #387 on: March 16, 2016, 06:43:08 AM »
Another thing : since 3D has less workloads than HD sprites, I really hope SNK includes a lot special fight intros between characters. I also miss having your teammates in the background a la KoF98. Those small details are really what gives a game some character. I wouldn't mind a decent story hook too, even though it's really trivial in the grand scheme of things.

I really love the small changes to intros and backgrounds like ken and ryu dapping in sf3 or akuma and gen doing supers in alpha3, but with 3d models intros have usually been (skippable, thankfully) videos that play before the fight, so even if sf4 or Xrd has special character interaction intros they tend to be the same kind of videos that drag on with some boring dialog added instead of the characters interacting with some snappy animation.

(SF4 did try expanding these intro videos with the 'rival fights' in the arcade mode, but it would be nice if they just did away with the 5 second long intro videos in regular play in favor of something more subtle imo.)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #388 on: March 16, 2016, 06:51:13 AM »
Yeah, I don't like this stuff (or supers / DMs / furies) to be done with cutaway camera angles either. Canned editing on such frequent occurences is jarring and feel slower than how it was done in 2D.
ὕβρις

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #389 on: March 16, 2016, 06:58:28 AM »
in street fighter x tekken even normal throws had dynamic camera angles, which only goes to show how committed they were to making sure that game was the worst in every possible way i guess :doge

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #390 on: March 16, 2016, 08:20:20 AM »
Super late on all this because I'm only following this with casual interest, but KoFXIV has only been announced for PS4 so far... I'm pretty confident it is only a limited exclusivity at best, because SNK bread and butter is China, Asia and Latin America, but I hope I won't have to wait too long.
ὕβρις

Beezy

« Reply #391 on: March 16, 2016, 07:56:01 PM »
Sooo... Pokken?

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #392 on: March 16, 2016, 08:11:50 PM »
 :yeshrug

thisismyusername

« Reply #393 on: March 17, 2016, 12:40:37 AM »
Man, playing Virtua Fighter 4: Evo right after SF5 shows the stark barren contrast between the two when it regards offline players. :o :lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #394 on: March 17, 2016, 11:42:49 AM »
No idea on Pokken.  I don't care about Pokemon so I wasn't going to get it, but I see it actually getting some praise.  Thing is...I'd much rather just be playing SFV.

Probably gonna jump back on DOA5, too, since new content is up including newly-added character Naotora Ii.

Man, playing Virtua Fighter 4: Evo right after SF5 shows the stark barren contrast between the two when it regards offline players. :o :lol

Why do you insist on only playing offline again?  I can't remember.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 11:51:35 AM by funky action »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #395 on: March 17, 2016, 11:56:48 AM »
Looking a bit better.  But WTF is up with that first character?  :lol

ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #396 on: March 17, 2016, 02:59:44 PM »
Huh, that's a weird character. So anime she got another set of eyes.

Bebpo

« Reply #397 on: March 17, 2016, 03:17:50 PM »
I actually like the design.  It's colorful and weird.  Can always use more of those characters in a fighting game.  Especially when you've got 50 characters.  Gives variety.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #398 on: March 17, 2016, 04:21:06 PM »
It's just a rip off of Kyary Pamyu Pamyu...but it's horrible.  :P
ど助平

thisismyusername

« Reply #399 on: March 17, 2016, 04:57:41 PM »

Lag + feeling like my inputs are missing due to lag.

Essentially the entire game feels "off" compared to offline/arcade. The genre has never really nailed the 1:1 offline/online feeling for me. DOA2U came close because it slowed the game down if people were under lag, but rollback netcode and the like just kills online fighting games for me.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #400 on: March 17, 2016, 05:12:39 PM »
after a quick google search it's horribleness is accurate to the source

but japan gonna japan so w/e

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #401 on: March 18, 2016, 02:53:23 AM »

:donot
Shitty design. KoF characters have always have had tacky clothing , but this one...
Only good news is that Athena will stop being the Moe Blob ?
Also hope the canned angles for supers are just for the trailer
ὕβρις

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #402 on: March 18, 2016, 04:54:28 PM »

Lag + feeling like my inputs are missing due to lag.

Essentially the entire game feels "off" compared to offline/arcade. The genre has never really nailed the 1:1 offline/online feeling for me. DOA2U came close because it slowed the game down if people were under lag, but rollback netcode and the like just kills online fighting games for me.

Where are you and what kind of connection do you have?  I know exactly what you're talking about in some games, but in SF?  It's all good breh.  Especially V.
ど助平

thisismyusername

« Reply #403 on: March 18, 2016, 05:05:08 PM »
The US. I should be able to play other US players just fine, but apparently not in fighters. Shooters or any other online game doesn't lag. It's only fighting games, and it's why I completely stay offline. It's not worth my while to use training mode (even with the "lag simulation") for something that won't be the same as offline.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #404 on: March 18, 2016, 05:56:36 PM »
Didn't you say that there's nobody really around to play with locally?  Why not just do the online-only thing?
ど助平

thisismyusername

« Reply #405 on: March 18, 2016, 10:47:19 PM »
Didn't you say that there's nobody really around to play with locally?  Why not just do the online-only thing?

Because the game "lag" bothers me. >:(

Like I told Morma: Some people are bothered by anything less than 60Frames in the frame-rate war. For me, I hate feeling like the game isn't doing it's best to be the same experience online as it is offline. *shrug*
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 01:51:47 AM by thisismyusername »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #406 on: March 19, 2016, 12:43:48 AM »

On the bright side, you can use any other character you like to mop the floor with Kyari Pamyu Pamyu.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #407 on: March 19, 2016, 07:31:50 AM »

On the bright side, you can use any other character you like to mop the floor with Kyari Pamyu Pamyu.

:ohhh
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #408 on: March 19, 2016, 07:33:03 AM »
Valkyrie Drive got new multiplayer DLC that turns the game into...Smash Bros.

ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #409 on: March 20, 2016, 07:35:10 PM »
Final Round SFV top eight going on right now...with eight different characters.  DAT VARIETY
ど助平

thisismyusername

« Reply #410 on: March 20, 2016, 08:42:26 PM »
Final Round SFV top eight going on right now...with eight different characters.  DAT VARIETY

Let me know when the grand-finals are on Youtube.

Beezy

« Reply #411 on: March 20, 2016, 10:38:23 PM »
Nando's R.Mika was inspirational. :lol

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #412 on: March 21, 2016, 07:36:29 AM »

Let me know when the grand-finals are on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/user/CapcomFightersTV/videos not in a playlist yet, but the videos are all up

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #413 on: March 21, 2016, 10:19:38 AM »
Funny that with a new game and major upsets happening...

...the last four still was down to three Japanese players and Inflitration.  :doge

COME ON 'MURICA, STEP IT UP.

Did you guys see the little kid who did really well in MKX?  The crowd was going crazy for him.

And Sonic Fox...holy shit.  Dude was in like the top of every major.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #414 on: March 24, 2016, 02:02:19 PM »
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #415 on: March 24, 2016, 02:06:44 PM »
that athena face in the preview :lol

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #416 on: March 24, 2016, 02:12:26 PM »
Is Luong supposed to be the wife of Kim's master ?
I'm not a big fan of how they're cranking up the T&A in this one (Like Leona having bouncy juggle shit) and Luong & Athena outfits are a bit gaudy. Not that KoF was a zenith of good taste but it was way less of a thing across the whole board of women character (King is much more "feminine" in his design here). Hope they won't fuck up Yuri.

The boxer guy... well, never hurt to have one I guess ? Seems like a mash up of that USA Sports team I can't name at the moment and the Tekken dude.
ὕβρις

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #417 on: March 24, 2016, 02:34:55 PM »
They made Athena into even more of a moé-blob :brazilcry

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #418 on: March 24, 2016, 02:38:16 PM »
pls u guys, SNK is trying not to go bankrupt for the seventh time

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #419 on: March 24, 2016, 02:49:35 PM »
Is Luong supposed to be the wife of Kim's master ?
I'm not a big fan of how they're cranking up the T&A in this one (Like Leona having bouncy juggle shit) and Luong & Athena outfits are a bit gaudy. Not that KoF was a zenith of good taste but it was way less of a thing across the whole board of women character (King is much more "feminine" in his design here). Hope they won't fuck up Yuri.

The boxer guy... well, never hurt to have one I guess ? Seems like a mash up of that USA Sports team I can't name at the moment and the Tekken dude.

Pretty sure she is Kim's master's wife, yeah.  The T&A has always been there, dude.  It does seem more exaggerated now...sorta.  I mean go see what Maximum Impact was like.  :doge

They made Athena into even more of a moé-blob :brazilcry

Less to me.  Nothing was worse than her and Yuri's heads in XIII. 

pls u guys, SNK is trying not to go bankrupt for the seventh time

They're owned by some mega-huge Chinese corporation now.  Probably have more money than most other Japanese devs.   :lol :japancry
ど助平