Author Topic: Fighting Games Thread: GAROU 2 GAROU 2 GAROU 2 GAROU 2  (Read 428861 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Fighting Games Thread ~ TEKKEN TIME
« Reply #1020 on: June 19, 2017, 12:08:43 PM »
I watched a bit of CEO here and there.  That Punk guy seems like a really overconfident, smug little jackass.  Which I guess is entertaining for some, but reeks of disrespect towards his peers. 

Starting to improve in Tekken.  I fought someone who schooled me like 11-1 a week ago and came out with a much more respectable 6-10 in his favor.  I seem to be taking to Lucky Chloe, but she has some stuff that's kind of difficult, and I got the most wins with Alisa.  Hmm...

Also, ARMS is legit good, guys.  If you want a game that isn't combo-focused, give it a try.
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1022 on: June 20, 2017, 01:18:21 PM »
How they treat Smash :lol

Giving them years of Sunday finals and just as much respect as any other fighter? Or are we counting not giving in to their distinguished mentally-challenged demands for VIP setups, not seeding top players out of pools, and banning a Smash 4 player who molested a woman as "poor treatment"?

Smash is fine as a game but the top players and fans of it are honestly entitled cunts that I wish would actually follow through on their threats to boycott EVO so the FGC can finally be rid of them. But they won't because they only thing Smash Gods love more than abusing their own fanbase and beating their wives is to have attention paid to them, and EVO is plenty of attention.

"You gotta keep up" says the toolbox still playing a Gamecube game :lol

Tasty

« Reply #1023 on: June 20, 2017, 01:23:45 PM »
Knew I'd get at least one of you :rejoice

But CEO was down 50-55% this year too. This is uh, worrying to say the least.

Save us DBZ :brazilcry

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1024 on: June 20, 2017, 01:33:27 PM »
And you got the one person who will actually watch and enjoy Smash 4 on EVO Sunday lol

But ya I don't think it's a worrying trend. Last year was an anomaly imo. 5000 for SFV is not a sustainable number. Also SFV landed like a wet turd, so that combined with other things (lowered tourism due to Trump, CEO being an overcrowded blowup and the AC failing in the FL summer heat, EVO being more poorly run than usual last year) means that numbers will be down this year. I believe they'll go back up next year but the massive explosion last year probably won't be happening again anytime soon.

Tasty

« Reply #1025 on: June 20, 2017, 02:56:08 PM »
DBFZ + MvCI + Smash Switch + Pokken DX + Super SFV(?) = Evo gangbusters :jawalrus

spoiler (click to show/hide)
How many can I trigger with my Pokken mention? :teehee
[close]

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1026 on: June 20, 2017, 03:04:56 PM »
Yeah, looks like it's back to 2015-ish numbers.  2016 was a freak year, I guess. 
:idont
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1027 on: June 20, 2017, 03:06:32 PM »
The problem with EVO a lot of times is just location. Mandalay Bay is a pretty poor spot, like most off strip EVOs. Tons of room for everything but not near the rest of the strip or even near the monorail to get TO the strip.

The EVOs on the strip are always more fun cause you're right in the middle of the action of Vegas. But the venues there are smaller so they are always more crowded. Last year's was almost a good idea because the convention center has a ton of room but it was also a loooooooooooooooong walk from the hotel to get to the CC. Hosting it at the Westgate was okay because it's right next to the Monorail but also the Westgate is a pretty jank hotel.

The Caeser's EVOs were my favorite but its just too small for the numbers Wizard wants there. Same goes for Paris, though those are always fun EVOs too.

archie4208

« Reply #1028 on: June 20, 2017, 05:07:50 PM »
FGC in shambles
Dota 2 declining
Overwatch League looks stillborn

You lived long enough to see the esports bubble pop.  :lawd

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #1029 on: June 20, 2017, 06:04:00 PM »
Smash is fine as a game but the top players and fans of it are honestly entitled cunts that I wish would actually follow through on their threats to boycott EVO so the FGC can finally be rid of them.

:preach

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1030 on: June 21, 2017, 10:20:17 AM »
ARMS Japanese sales at launch:

01./00. [NSW] Arms <FTG> (Nintendo) {2017.06.16} (¥5.980) - 100.652 / NEW

Tekken 7 Japanese launch sales (PS4 only, does not count digital):

01./00. [PS4] Tekken 7 <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2017.06.01} (¥8.200) - 58.736 / NEW

Street Fighter V Launch sales (again, PS4 only, does not count digital):

04./00. [PS4] Street Fighter V # <FTG> (Capcom) {2016.02.18} (¥7.990) - 41.990 / NEW

That's almost as much as both games combined, lol.  But of course that doesn't account for PSN sales, plus both of those games are multi-platform releases.  Still, that's a pretty good for a new IP.  Someone mentioned that this means 1 in 10 Japanese Switch owners bought the game.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #1031 on: June 21, 2017, 11:22:21 AM »
Yeah, that's a 10.1% attach rate in Japan for ARMS. Crazy.

Will buy when it's not $60 and has more content.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1032 on: June 21, 2017, 01:21:00 PM »
Will buy when it's not $60 and has more content.

I keep seeing this, but I'm not sure what people are looking for.  The game has single player, local multiplayer, ranked online, party matches online, a good selection of characters, and plenty of ARMS to unlock.  Pretty much everything you'd expect from a fighting game.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #1033 on: June 21, 2017, 03:34:35 PM »
Smash is the bar, bae.

Beezy

« Reply #1034 on: June 21, 2017, 06:04:44 PM »
 ::)

Tasty

« Reply #1035 on: June 21, 2017, 06:11:39 PM »
Also Splatoon had a similar/more amount of content (basically a whole single player mode) and still got even more fleshed out in the 3-6 months after launch. Hoping the same for ARMS. The core gameplay isn't really attractive to me so it needs a bit more.

thisismyusername

« Reply #1036 on: June 23, 2017, 03:57:16 PM »
http://archive.is/oninF

There was recently a leak about the characters, and people picked up on the fact that a lot of classic characters aren't there, specifically the X-Men characters like Magneto and Sentinel. How do you guys feel about people being hung up on that?

Peter Rosas: If you were to actually think about it, these characters are just functions. They're just doing things. Magneto, case and point, is a favorite because he has eight-way dash and he's really fast, right? So our more technical players, all they want to do is triangle jump and that kind of stuff. Well guess what, Nova can do the same thing, Captain Marvel can do the same thing. Ultron can do the same thing. Go ahead and try them out.

Michael Evans: The X-Men stuff, can't talk to. But I do want to talk about the character-selection process because I think it's important.... Your modern Marvel fan, maybe they don't even remember some of the X-Men characters, but they know some of the Guardians characters or Black Panther. You know what I mean? Captain Marvel may seem like a strange pick, but she's fantastic. She fits the gameplay. She fits the story, and they're gonna be really pushing her as a strong female lead all the way up into the movie. We're trying to take everything into account and choose the best characters.

Where is that Ramsay "Oh Fuck Off".gif when I need it?

Tasty

« Reply #1037 on: June 23, 2017, 07:57:14 PM »
:lol :lol :lol

archie4208

« Reply #1038 on: June 23, 2017, 08:11:27 PM »
Made it to brawler rank in Tekken.  :lawd

Fear my 41% win rate.  :smug

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #1039 on: June 23, 2017, 08:23:58 PM »
they really should be giving these people media training if they aren't gonna let them say "marvel doesn't want x-men in the game"

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1040 on: June 23, 2017, 09:20:30 PM »
http://archive.is/oninF

There was recently a leak about the characters, and people picked up on the fact that a lot of classic characters aren't there, specifically the X-Men characters like Magneto and Sentinel. How do you guys feel about people being hung up on that?

Peter Rosas: If you were to actually think about it, these characters are just functions. They're just doing things. Magneto, case and point, is a favorite because he has eight-way dash and he's really fast, right? So our more technical players, all they want to do is triangle jump and that kind of stuff. Well guess what, Nova can do the same thing, Captain Marvel can do the same thing. Ultron can do the same thing. Go ahead and try them out.

Michael Evans: The X-Men stuff, can't talk to. But I do want to talk about the character-selection process because I think it's important.... Your modern Marvel fan, maybe they don't even remember some of the X-Men characters, but they know some of the Guardians characters or Black Panther. You know what I mean? Captain Marvel may seem like a strange pick, but she's fantastic. She fits the gameplay. She fits the story, and they're gonna be really pushing her as a strong female lead all the way up into the movie. We're trying to take everything into account and choose the best characters.

Where is that Ramsay "Oh Fuck Off".gif when I need it?

Wolverine, who dat?  :confused
©@©™

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1041 on: June 23, 2017, 09:37:36 PM »
What I'd love to see happen: Arc System Works, fresh off their success with Dragon Ball, makes a deal with whoever has the rights to X-Men characters in video games (is that also Fox?), then proceeds to make an insane, jaw-droppingly good fighting game featuring shitloads of mutants, which takes a piss all over MvC:I.

But hey, I'm good with DBZ doing that instead.  :doge 
ど助平

thisismyusername

« Reply #1042 on: June 27, 2017, 04:44:16 PM »
Quote from: /v/
>>381988332

>he hasn't seen the pics

Marn is disgusting

:what I must have missed some drama.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1043 on: June 27, 2017, 05:50:10 PM »
marn went to evo 2014(?) with legit the most disgusting, plague looking skin disease i've ever seen. dude is gross af

i assume that's what it's referring to

:nsfw https://www.reddit.com/r/WTF/comments/2bjxf0/a_top_5_hospital_in_the_country_doesnt_even_know/ :nsfw

pics with text description from marn here. super gross.

Himu

« Reply #1044 on: June 29, 2017, 01:28:55 AM »
ive played 100 hours of this. goty unless something tops it.

best thing is that it doesn't have a wack ass 20 hour tutorial.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

« Reply #1045 on: June 29, 2017, 01:32:33 AM »
Seeing the preview is more than enough, thanks. :donot

Himu

« Reply #1046 on: June 29, 2017, 01:37:11 AM »
you don't even like fgs.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

« Reply #1047 on: June 29, 2017, 05:15:12 AM »
you don't even like fgs.

(Not counting Indies like Lethal League and some of those Animu fighters that I've gotten through Humble Bundle, 3rd Strike, Vamp Savor, Virtua Fighter 5, DOA on PS3 AND PC...)

:confused :confused :confused :confused :confused

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1048 on: June 29, 2017, 08:37:46 AM »
Tekken 7 has hit 1,000 entrants at EVO this year.  :o
ど助平

thisismyusername

« Reply #1049 on: June 29, 2017, 10:38:33 AM »
That's beating Guilty Gear's first year (for Xrd) and this current years, right?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1050 on: June 29, 2017, 12:52:17 PM »
Doesn't that number beat every GG tournament ever at Evo?  :doge

How's Yatagarasu? It always looked dope to me.

Kind of like a KOF and Third Strike fusion.  I never played much of it since it wouldn't work right with my controllers.  I ought to try it again...
ど助平

thisismyusername

« Reply #1051 on: June 29, 2017, 05:54:06 PM »

:fbm

@ Yatagarasu: The PC port is fine. But it never got the GGPO they promised it would. IIRC the PS4 port is the newer revision, so if you wanted the "latest" go with that, but eh... the community around that is mostly dead AFAIK.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1052 on: June 29, 2017, 08:34:07 PM »

:fbm

@ Yatagarasu: The PC port is fine. But it never got the GGPO they promised it would. IIRC the PS4 port is the newer revision, so if you wanted the "latest" go with that, but eh... the community around that is mostly dead AFAIK.

PS4 never got a port.  It was supposed to come out on 3DS, then tbis changed to Vita and PS4, then...nothing.  The console versions were also going to be the older version, btw.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1053 on: June 30, 2017, 10:21:31 PM »
Just beat my buddy Leguna's ass all over the place in ARMS.  I was just :rofl the whole time.  People just don't seem to understand how the different ARM types can counter each other and how character abilities work.  I use Twintelle for dat air dash charge ability and dat distortion field (slows down time a little bit when you're close enough, making the opponent's ARMS animations slower), not just for dat ass.  So I'd slow him down and capitalize like crazy..and he had no idea what was going on.  :lol

I'm not really a combo-oriented player, so I tend to do better in less combo-heavy games (like Street Fighter), making this game pretty much perfect for me since it's all about spacing and countering attacks.  It's also very much like Dead Or Alive to me, in that the game is really just rock-paper-scissors at the base level.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #1054 on: July 01, 2017, 06:12:18 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B073C5PWS2/ref=sxts_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498946964&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65

My second stick I'm getting! :D

Going to customize it. Ordered push buttons for my current stick too! :D

Playing Tekken has made my stick execution so much better in such a short amount of time!

you don't even like fgs.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Not counting Indies like Lethal League and some of those Animu fighters that I've gotten through Humble Bundle, 3rd Strike, Vamp Savor, Virtua Fighter 5, DOA on PS3 AND PC...)

:confused :confused :confused :confused :confused

Well the way you talk about them makes it seem like you don't like them. Sorry.

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1055 on: July 02, 2017, 03:15:38 AM »
i'm not sure what buttons to get so i just decided with both.

comparing the looks:

Seimitsu ps-14-g:

On some images ps-14-g's look wack, in others they look badass. Weird.

Like that SFII stick above the buttons look great.

Here they look wack.

Dope:

Wack:

Wack:

BUT THEM CLEARS, MAN. THEM FUCKING CLEARS.

Hnnnnnnng, baby.

But Sanwa is so iconic.

I am becoming an arcade stick lover. I am becoming Nachobro. I've decided to replace the ball top and install the Seimitsu's on my current stick and then when I get my Hayabusa Pro N, I'll put in an JLF and OBSF 30's, making it a complete Sanwa stick.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 03:23:02 AM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1056 on: July 02, 2017, 03:25:49 AM »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1057 on: July 02, 2017, 03:32:07 AM »
HOW DID IT TAKE FG'S 20 YEARS TO COME UP WITH A SLOW  MO?

It's mind boggling. Something so hype, something so obvious, that no one ever thought of before. :mindblown
IYKYK

Himu

Re: Fighting Games Thread ~ Business Ninjas And Baikens, Oh My!
« Reply #1058 on: July 02, 2017, 03:54:23 AM »
I watched that video earlier and the point it tries to make is bad imo. more or less all the inputs in vf5fs, the greatest fighting game of all time, are easy as shit and there is a broad input buffer. sf5 wouldn't be a better game if it had stricter inputs (tho it's a bit funny how he uses parries in sf3 as some sort of example of difficult inputs when the input is literally the easiest shit and sf3 would have benefitted from having parry inputs that demanded a commitment, so you couldn't guess-parry and unsuccessful parries could be punished, aka giving the game a stronger neutral, but lol ok). "making combos easier to execute" doesnt do much to decrease the skill gap between good players and weak ones, as good players will simply out-maneuver weak players in in a fundamental way. 

This also doesn't have anything to do with "players ability to express themselves" as that is mainly dependent on how broad the tool set available to any given player is. Laura has like three buttons that are useful and one meterless combo and one v-trigger canceled one. there arent situational tools in her arsenal. sf5 is bad because every character is so stream-lined they only ever want to do one thing, there isnt even any tactical decision making in choosing whether or not you want to use v-reversal or save for v-trigger since the latter is such a tremendously stronger tool – getting your opponent to use their v-reversal is basically a small victory in and of itself in that it delays their ability to activate v-trigger.

sf5 is also bad because the input lag was (& is still, i assume? i havent played in a while) too bad, they purposefully made the neutral worse by unilaterally reducing the range on your normal attacks, improving the dashing speed and reducing the walking speed, making anti-airs worse allowing more jump-ins, install v-triggers are basically the worst parts of sf4's ultra attacks and FADC rolled into one, etc, etc, etc...

there is lots wrong with the game that was done in an attempt to lessen the skill gap – which is inherently a fruitless pursuit, because, again, good players are just fundamentally better, you're never going to beat a good guilty gear player by just picking stylish mode (presuming you didnt take on a damage handicap in doing so) unless you also are able to play guilty gear as well as they do and out-perform them in the game. complaining that combos are too easy is missing the forest for the trees. A hypothetical game that manages to allow bad players to compete with good players simply by making the execution easy was never good to begin with.

I think there's a lot to disagree with in the video but I think your summation is kind of off as well.

Thing about SFV is every one and their mom has opinions on why it's bad now.

Core A Gaming is right but also wrong. They're right in that SFV has a low skill ceiling. Watch intermediate SFV and high level SFV and it looks the same. The problem is that Core A conflated with this low skill ceiling with just lower execution requirement. Lower execution is definitely a problem but not SFV's only problem. One problem is that it's a highly offense oriented game without the defensive capabilities of say, a Guilty Gear, to get out of a jam. His point about parries is also bad because Ryu's parry in SFV can whiff, which makes it punishable. SFV and SFIII are going for completely different things. It also ignores that there's more to fighting game skill than execution. It limits fg skill as merely execution. And as said, execution is a huge deal but so is knowledge and mind games.

You can't execute if you lack the knowledge, and you can't execute if you lack the mind games. Daigo predicted Justin would go for a super because it was the best play. Justin knew that if Daigo caught a whiff, he could get punished with a full combo. That's where respect comes in. Justin knew the cards, and he also knew that if he hit the super, if only one hit landed, he would have won. It was the best call to make. And Daigo called it. That's where mind games comes in and Daigo wouldn't have been half as prepared to parry that without expecting it. It was a full on read. This element is completely lacking in Core-A's analysis.

I kind of disagree with your thing about execution not being important in a fighting game just because VF isn't a execution heavy game (I honestly wouldn't know because I've never played VF competitively). But in Tekken, execution is a huge thing because it's required to master basic movement. Bringing up VF is a completely irrelevant argument because each game has its strict emphasis. Tekken for instance, is a game of knowledge. Street Fighter blended execution with mind games but it's mostly on the mind games end of things as it has never been execution heavy outside of charge partitions and custom combos. Virtua Fighter, from what I know, is a mind game fg. Something like Guilty Gear or Marvel is an execution focused fg. It really depends on the game. SF isn't trying to be VF. VF doesn't have to worry about shit like qcf's and half circle commands, so bringing up VF's lack of execution requirement makes no sense.

SFV definitely has a low skill ceiling and it was kind of designed that way. Problem with the Core-A video, as good as it is, is that it presents fighting game skill as a singular element. However, it does bring up a good point but it doesn't go into hard enough. The fact that execution requires the player the become more invested in the game. In Tekken, you have to master movement or you won't get anywhere, much less any where competitive. in SF, if you play charge you better learn how to charge at all times. If you play Urien in SFIII:3S and you're not charge partitioning, you're fucking up. If you're not paino-ing your inputs as Chun in IV, you're fucking up - again. If you're lacking a fuzzy guard? Well, guard what? You're fucking up. These techniques and more are required in high level play, and they're also techniques that require execution, practice, and will power. When you're invested in your character to the point where you're trying to master something related to execution, you're investing your will into that character to be able to control them as your avatar and gain an advantage. This makes you want to get better. Execution is the heart of competition, I think, and its lacking in SFV makes the game feel so incomplete. Once you've mastered two or so combos (providing you have fundamentals down), that's it. It feels so impersonal. In SFIV, in order for Chun to level up I had to learn how to piano. I had to research, look up vids, go into practice mode and put sweat and tears into my character. In SFV, my girl Chun doesn't even have mash for kicks. It's a fucking qcf. Charge partitioning isn't necessary. You've got IAL's, but that's pretty easy to master - it's just a half circle. The hardest thing about Chun execution wise is the timing of her bird kick ender combos. At that point, why play Chun even though she's my SF main? Character loyalty? When that's lacking, what drive is there to get better? Why even fucking play besides money? Where's the competition? Thankfully SFV isn't completely simplified and still has charge buffering:

I mean your initial argument:

more or less all the inputs in vf5fs, the greatest fighting game of all time, are easy as shit and there is a broad input buffer.

Doesn't even apply to Street Fighter. Again, look at piano-ing. This is tech, but it's also execution.

Comparing VF to SF on this makes no sense. VF has depth in spite of its lack of execution. Street Fighter, sometimes has depth because of the execution, because execution = tech, and tech = depth and builds upon the natural competitive drive to win. Execution is more than combos.

For an example of how this brings depth to the game, watch this match:

Hopefully this will show you the importance of execution, at least for Street Fighter. It's not end all be all, but in a game with charge characters and spds, it's pretty important. Execution, as far as SF is concerned, leads to new tech. New tech leads to an ever expanding game with depth (the main subject of the Core-A video). No new tech leads to a boring and stagnate game.

I completely agree with you about stubby normals, slow walk speed, and weak anti-airs limiting the games potential but I shouldn't have to reiterate the inherent flaw in comparing a 3d game that has 12 frame punches compared to a 2d game where the fastest are 3-4 frames. Bringing up VF5FS is essentially a strawman. But to be fair to you, Core-A framed the argument around execution being the sole creator of depth (which we both know is bullshit).

That's my take as a decent competitive SF player.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 02:41:42 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1059 on: July 02, 2017, 04:35:36 AM »
I thought the problem was the (lack of) single player content? Back then it was treated as for competitive players only. People had problems with stubby normals but everyone except extreme SFIV fans were pretty positive. I defended it myself but I liked it and thought it'd get better. Season 2 made it awful.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1060 on: July 02, 2017, 08:54:43 AM »
That makes sense. I like playing Laura and learning mixups.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1061 on: July 02, 2017, 09:00:12 AM »
I miss my Chun. :( it's why I miss SFIV. I miss piano-ing.

It's why I've made Tekken my main game now. SF doesn't have legacy skills. Charge partitioning is only useful really in SFIII. Skills you had before with a character or in the game may not be useful in later games. I like consistency. In Tekken, they value legacy skills.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1062 on: July 02, 2017, 09:46:37 AM »
Playing fgs locally might be the GOAT genre.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1063 on: July 02, 2017, 11:11:12 AM »
My first time playing an fg was at an arcade against someone in SFII in 1992. Been hooked ever since. Unfortunately arcades died soon after that in my area and I was an only child so I couldn't play much competition much less good so I had to settle for single player modes. The second I could fight people again irl was the second I stopped caring about single player modes lol.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1064 on: July 02, 2017, 12:40:36 PM »
the feel of seimitsu buttons :lawd

our arcade was in a mall. it closed in 2008/9, now it's a guess store.  :fbm we were able to save the original ttt cabinet that our scene started on at least and it now resides in my foyer
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 12:46:24 PM by nachobro »

Himu

« Reply #1065 on: July 02, 2017, 01:23:32 PM »
First place I played fgs was a place called Golf and Games. SFII was my favorite game there of course but we also played Super Punch Out, Mad Dog McCree, Mortal Kombat. I remember a time when SFII CE was in my damn grocery store. Those were the days. Golf and Games was a rare treat so I couldn't go often but I was obsessed with SFII and hated that it wasn't on Genesis. Golf and Games closed down soon in like 93. It's become a church, a tool shop, and now it's some warehouse.

My main arcade growing up was Tilt. The mall was next to my house so I had the opportunity to go nearly every day. Arcade life became a big thing for me in my teens with DDR, CVS2, SC2, MVC2;etc when they closed I was really sad and haven't had a regular arcade since. Starcade closed eventually too.

I also have vivid memories of this one arcade that had SFII on a huge ass monitor. Holy shit, nicest set up ever. It's like the set up that was in Daigo vs Valle Alpha 3 tourney. They served amazing pizza. Place closed down soon as well. It was nice because it wasn't like the other arcades. It had lights and sunlight. Great family environment.

There's an arcade at my new local. I'll take pics later this week. In fact, going to an arcade today.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1066 on: July 02, 2017, 01:28:33 PM »
I actually remember the actual memory of finding out SFII was coming to Genesis.

My friend Alex (RIP :tocry) showed me a game mag with the Bison vs Guile green cover Champion Edition advert and I nearly lost my shit in the middle of class.

IYKYK

FatalT

« Reply #1067 on: July 02, 2017, 07:41:02 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B073C5PWS2/ref=sxts_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498946964&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65

My second stick I'm getting! :D

Going to customize it. Ordered push buttons for my current stick too! :D

Playing Tekken has made my stick execution so much better in such a short amount of time!

One of these days we're throwing down in Tekken 7.

Himu

« Reply #1068 on: July 02, 2017, 10:59:05 PM »
Still working on my Nina. She's not ready. 😇 But when she is let's go! :punch
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1069 on: July 03, 2017, 10:42:25 PM »
Yeah, where you guys at?  Never see anyone online.  I played Archie once and that was it.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #1070 on: July 03, 2017, 11:42:59 PM »
Yeah, where you guys at?  Never see anyone online.  I played Archie once and that was it.

I mostly play during the day since I work nights and I've been mostly training and learning my character/practicing and learning movement.
IYKYK

FatalT

« Reply #1071 on: July 04, 2017, 09:35:15 PM »
I haven't added you guys yet, sorry. Plus when I am playing it's probably during an hour while y'all are asleep.

We probably should set up a time.

You guys are playing on PS4 right? My PSN ID is FatalT1. I think I just have Himu as a friend on there because I forget names on here.

Bebpo

« Reply #1072 on: July 05, 2017, 05:58:29 PM »
Gundam Versus out in Japan today on JPSN, US version is Sept 29th with region-free servers. Tried a little in the morning and seems legit.

Bebpo

« Reply #1073 on: July 07, 2017, 02:13:07 AM »
Gundam Versus has some stuff back in the stone age like online matchmaking, missing series, but other stuff really good like core gameplay & fleshed out rosters. It's fun, but there's that JP jank in there for sure. Not sure how it will do in the west.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1074 on: July 07, 2017, 04:57:32 PM »
I'm happy that they are localizing it, but at the same time...why?  It's gonna sell like dogshit.

Would also like to add that if you like Gundam Vs...try ARMS on Switch.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1075 on: July 07, 2017, 05:17:20 PM »
Am downloading Gundam now.  I assume there was no reason to pay another 3000 yen or so for the G-Sound version?  That's just extra music, right?
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #1076 on: July 07, 2017, 05:35:19 PM »
Yeah, and the music included is already pretty good. Unless your a Gundam nut and want a few more specific good songs you don't need the G-Sound edition. Mostly has like Ending tunes in addition to the Opening songs already included in the main game.

animeboggles

« Reply #1077 on: July 11, 2017, 10:54:28 AM »
I'm thinking about getting a Qanba Obsidian, is there a better choice in that price range?

I mainly just like the look of it

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1078 on: July 11, 2017, 11:51:20 AM »
In that price range you've got a couple alternatives

HRAP Pro N - Solid stick, a bit cheaper, but uses Hori parts and not Sanwa. Also isn't out until next month.
https://www.amazon.com/Arcade-Hayabusa-PlayStation-Officially-Licensed-4/dp/B073C5PWS2

HRAP4 Kai - $50 cheaper, very lightweight stick, also uses Hori parts, but no headphone jack and can have an issue with the cord holder door coming off
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879994052

Overall I think the Obsidian is worth the extra cost but if you are trying to save a few bucks either of the above sticks will do well for you.

thisismyusername

« Reply #1079 on: July 11, 2017, 02:50:35 PM »
I thought the problem was the (lack of) single player content? Back then it was treated as for competitive players only. People had problems with stubby normals but everyone except extreme SFIV fans were pretty positive. I defended it myself but I liked it and thought it'd get better. Season 2 made it awful.

It's both. Skill ceiling for pros. Lack of content for casuals.