Author Topic: Fighting Games Thread: GAROU 2 GAROU 2 GAROU 2 GAROU 2  (Read 428826 times)

nachobro

• Live Más
Re: Fighting Games Thread ~ GEESE IN TEKKEN 7 NOT PREDICTOBORU
« Reply #1260 on: August 22, 2017, 01:33:59 PM »
It's also possible this is the influence of Namco Bandai. I'd assume they are the ones deciding the characters, or at least have a big say in it.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1261 on: August 22, 2017, 01:52:52 PM »
Himu, Why do you keep saying Bra?  That's Bulma and Vegeta's second kid who is just an infant in Super and did nothing in GT.

Arc games aren't all rushdown. In fact they are noted as having each of their characters play very differently, especially in Blazblue where every character has a fully unique attribute and playstyle (compare Rachel to Arakune to Makoto to Nine). Granted I don't know anything about DBZ, but it seems like it's an issue with the source material. Every character has laser shit and seems almost exactly the same to me.

Definitely not, but their games do tend to feel heavily offensively-oriented.  I suspect that DBZ is going to be 'dumbed down' somewhat and feel kind of samey in some ways to appeal to the more casual audience.

And that's OK with me.  The game looks fantastic.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #1262 on: August 22, 2017, 01:56:59 PM »
I meant Launch. I'm old. I forget the bitches name.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1263 on: August 22, 2017, 02:02:30 PM »
I know they want to the most popular characters, but the appeal of a fighting game at high level is dealing with different scenarios: if I play Zangief the puzzle of getting in is the game. If I play Dhalsim keeping character out of my space using long range moves is the game. This is why Street Fighter is still my favorite fighter series. Let's be honest: charge characters, 360's, characters with mid-ranged moves with great mobility and walk speed to play footsies like Chun, turtlers like Honda, fireball magicians like Rose, vortex fuckery like Ibuki in IV, I wanna play 50/50 with Urien, or zone with Sagat. In terms of inputs and character strategy variety, I simply find Capcom fighters to be the best and that's why they're the funnest to me.

No offense to Arc, but show me something that isn't stereotypically ArcSys, please. Show me character play that isn't just rushdown. Android 16 shows promise.

Kind of confused by what you're saying here, because Arc games are like that too.  You have grapplers like Iron Tager,  zoners like Mu, long range characters like Rachel, etc.  There's way more types of character variety in their games, really.  But their games, like Marvel, are also what I'd describe as "chaotic" and are just hard for me to really get into.  I have a preference for the more grounded fighters like Street Fighter.  And stuff from SNK, who in their prime shat all over anything Capcom.  KOF XIV is a good comeback (XIII was awesome too, just fucked up online on consoles).
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1264 on: August 22, 2017, 02:04:34 PM »

Lunch, yeah, could be a fun character especially with the dual personalities.  But this is DBZ, not DB.  A DB fighter would be awesome but that's not gonna happen.
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1265 on: August 22, 2017, 02:06:22 PM »
Kind of confused by what you're saying here, because Arc games are like that too.  You have grapplers like Iron Tager,  zoners like Mu, long range characters like Rachel, etc.  There's way more types of character variety in their games, really.  But their games, like Marvel, are also what I'd describe as "chaotic" and are just hard for me to really get into.  I have a preference for the more grounded fighters like Street Fighter.  And stuff from SNK, who in their prime shat all over anything Capcom.  KOF XIV is a good comeback (XIII was awesome too, just fucked up online on consoles).
That's a better way of saying what I was trying to say, thanks.:lol Arc games themselves are very offensive oriented (hell, negative penalty actually punishes you for backing up in BB). But the character are varied overall. DBFZ characters seem very same-y but I don't know how that related to the DBZ anime version of the characters.

Himu

« Reply #1266 on: August 22, 2017, 02:09:40 PM »

Lunch, yeah, could be a fun character especially with the dual personalities.  But this is DBZ, not DB.  A DB fighter would be awesome but that's not gonna happen.

Doesn't matter. DBFZ has Super characters.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1267 on: August 22, 2017, 02:13:24 PM »
I know they want to the most popular characters, but the appeal of a fighting game at high level is dealing with different scenarios: if I play Zangief the puzzle of getting in is the game. If I play Dhalsim keeping character out of my space using long range moves is the game. This is why Street Fighter is still my favorite fighter series. Let's be honest: charge characters, 360's, characters with mid-ranged moves with great mobility and walk speed to play footsies like Chun, turtlers like Honda, fireball magicians like Rose, vortex fuckery like Ibuki in IV, I wanna play 50/50 with Urien, or zone with Sagat. In terms of inputs and character strategy variety, I simply find Capcom fighters to be the best and that's why they're the funnest to me.

No offense to Arc, but show me something that isn't stereotypically ArcSys, please. Show me character play that isn't just rushdown. Android 16 shows promise.

It feels like there's just less overall variety. There's very few grapplers in BB. Iirc there's only Tager. Idk, maybe their games aren't for me. I could never find a character I liked in BB. I do like GG a lot though.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #1268 on: August 22, 2017, 06:12:22 PM »

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Might be 4chan trollin', but would be funny if true.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1269 on: August 22, 2017, 09:23:17 PM »
Got my PC hooked up to new TV.  SFV and Tekken 7 in true 4K
:lawd
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1270 on: August 23, 2017, 07:11:58 AM »
Hellboy
:leon

ど助平

Himu

« Reply #1271 on: August 23, 2017, 11:44:30 AM »
Trying to get my zoning above average so I've been watching Choi's Ryu.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #1272 on: August 23, 2017, 11:45:20 AM »
Hellboy is awesome. I never expected him to be in a game these days. I'll buy Injustice 2 for Hellboy. Probably wait for a GoTY version that includes the DLC.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1273 on: August 24, 2017, 10:17:14 AM »
Tekken Bowl next week, plus more crotch n' butt outfits!

ど助平

Himu

« Reply #1274 on: August 24, 2017, 10:24:10 AM »
Character customization for the girls is awful and limited. Why don't we give them even more bikinis? Sounds good. :beli
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1275 on: August 24, 2017, 10:30:00 AM »
Character customization for the girls is awful and limited. Why don't we give them even more bikinis? Sounds good. :beli

Itagaki says, "what else do you need!?"
:itagaki
ど助平

Bebpo

Re: Fighting Games Thread
« Reply #1276 on: August 24, 2017, 12:09:44 PM »
Hope Tekken Bowl is good. I was drunk on T7 the first couple of days playing it and I stupidly bought the season pass. If Kiryu makes it in as the 2nd guest character I've got no complaints. If he doesn't, might not have been worth it unless Tekken Bowl totally rocks. I mean I like Geese and all but he's not one of my KoF mains so I doubt I'll use him.

Himu

« Reply #1277 on: August 24, 2017, 01:42:43 PM »
Geese is the second guest character. There's one more after Geese.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1278 on: August 24, 2017, 02:01:40 PM »
Hope Tekken Bowl is good. I was drunk on T7 the first couple of days playing it and I stupidly bought the season pass. If Kiryu makes it in as the 2nd guest character I've got no complaints. If he doesn't, might not have been worth it unless Tekken Bowl totally rocks. I mean I like Geese and all but he's not one of my KoF mains so I doubt I'll use him.

Tekken Bowl is going to totally rock.
:ufup
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #1279 on: August 25, 2017, 02:10:45 PM »

This video details how the oki works in SFV.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1280 on: August 26, 2017, 12:26:20 PM »
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1281 on: August 26, 2017, 06:59:02 PM »
Wanted to give my new stick some solid playtime before a review so sorry for the delay. The short: for the price it is fantastic!

The enclosure is an IST Makestick enclosure (basically a Korean MCZ knockoff). It's very cheap ($55) but I took long enough to write this up that Focus Attack isn't even selling it anymore. Oops. The weight of it is really good because it has a solid metal plate on the bottom. I picked up a foam pad for it so it wouldn't slide around on my lap and it is perfect.

The stick is a Fanta Korean stick and it feels amazing. Very tight movement and fast return to neutral. I've always preferred American style joysticks and this feels very similar. Plus it's really good for Tekken, makes a lot of moves so much easier that it almost feels like cheating. The buttons on Seimitsu PS-14-D. Very loud and very clicky, which is exactly what I wanted. Again, I like the American style concave type buttons but the flat buttons honestly feel just as good. PCB inside is just a Brook PS3/PS4/PC deal and it's fine. No issues with any of Brook's stuff.

The only real downside of this is that the price really shows when it comes to the little things. The enclosure scratches really easily. You can see some wear after only a little use (playing, pulling off and on shelves, carrying around in a backpack, etc). Also there random plastic "patches" in it that I have no idea what they are covering up but it makes the stick look a little cheap. Otherwise I fully recommend this if you want a good quality stick for very little. I got the whole thing for under $150 shipped, but like I said FA doesn't carry the enclosure anymore and I'm not sure if it's coming back.

Himu

« Reply #1282 on: August 26, 2017, 07:01:12 PM »
Please tell me you got an extra for me. :brazilcry
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1283 on: August 26, 2017, 07:07:42 PM »

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1284 on: August 26, 2017, 09:51:26 PM »
I played the demo for that like 4-5 years ago or something. I was going to buy the full game when it dropped but I read there was some issues with orders charging and not going through plus the game itself was mostly non-functional. Anyway, better to watch a video about it instead :doge

Himu

« Reply #1285 on: August 26, 2017, 10:03:42 PM »
Saturday morning scrub lords' intro never ceases to make me laugh. The way it contrasts with Friday Night Fisticuffs' intro is genius.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1286 on: August 26, 2017, 11:32:07 PM »
Death Cargo became Gorebreaker, which AFAIK is still in development and is supposed to be coming out on Xbox One and PC.

http://www.necrostorm.com/Games/Gorebreaker/Gorebreaker.html

The game looks like shit, but man...I love the insane storyline.  It sucks that the original Death Cargo site is gone; it used to have these crazy character bios for characters that didn't make it into the game.  The bio-weapons and what they did were off the charts fucking crazy. 

Saturday morning scrub lords' intro never ceases to make me laugh. The way it contrasts with Friday Night Fisticuffs' intro is genius.

Yeah, love that!  :lol
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #1287 on: August 27, 2017, 01:56:17 PM »

she looks fun...
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1288 on: August 27, 2017, 02:04:53 PM »
Oh, nice!  SFV and Tekken 7 DLC this week...good stuff.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1289 on: August 27, 2017, 02:45:05 PM »
Season 2 has been like this for me:

Akuma- Don't care
Kolin- Like, but ultimately not the character for me
Ed- Didn't really use him but like the idea behind his play style
Abigail- Used him a lot for a week and then went right back to my other characters.  I think in the end Birdie is my favorite 'grappler' type.

Menat looks cool so we'll see.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1290 on: August 27, 2017, 11:00:42 PM »
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #1291 on: August 27, 2017, 11:16:44 PM »
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1292 on: August 28, 2017, 12:48:11 AM »
manta looks so good. fly combos, scorpion spear, missiles and lasers :lawd

https://twitter.com/InjusticeGame/status/902010994800680961

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1293 on: August 28, 2017, 04:23:02 PM »
I just can't get into Injustice 2.  :fbm  Maybe I should sell it.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #1294 on: August 28, 2017, 08:12:42 PM »

Holy shit this costume is piff
IYKYK

Beezy

« Reply #1295 on: August 28, 2017, 08:51:09 PM »
Looks like I need to start playing SFV again. Didn't realize that a whole new set of new characters were released. It's been a while.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1296 on: August 28, 2017, 09:02:42 PM »
Injustice 2 feels like the best fighter NRS has yet made. It's pretty well balanced, has fun characters, and the balls out offensive style of it is something I really dig. But I also don't read comics anymore  or watch comic movies so I'm not hit with the same comics fatigue most folks are these days.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1297 on: August 28, 2017, 10:45:05 PM »
No fatigue on my part...I just am not feeling the game play much.  Feels too canned/stiff.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1298 on: August 29, 2017, 10:10:50 PM »
OK, am liking Menat a LOT.  Best new DLC character yet?  She is very easy to pick up and play and only has three special moves- throw the orb, recall it, and a Rose style soul throw for anti airs.  Her V skill is a super useful shield that also reflects fireballs.  Definitely some Rose influences there!  This character is going to excel at crazy orb set ups if she ends up viable.  There's a lot of potential to be found.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #1299 on: August 30, 2017, 12:23:05 AM »
Bring back zoning with season 3 and I'll pick SFV back up. With Sagat rumored in s3, it could really help the game. Buff Ryu's zoning potential and make fireballs in general more of a threat and we're game. Otherwise I'll ignore it like I do 3s for the same reason.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1300 on: August 30, 2017, 07:27:30 AM »

:whoo
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1301 on: August 30, 2017, 07:30:28 AM »
Also Menat's soul sphere makes the CPU stop attacking.  :lol

https://streamable.com/pqrq5

I'm sure this will be patched, but might be a good way to get through Hard Survival right now, heh.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #1302 on: August 30, 2017, 09:13:46 AM »
What's Menat's footsies like?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1303 on: August 30, 2017, 02:24:47 PM »
She's got footsies.

Her cr mk looks like a treat. Great range.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1304 on: August 31, 2017, 07:47:40 AM »
Menat is the best DLC character in the game so far, hands-down.  I also love that her reflect is the v-skill...so throw all the projectiles you want to, fellas, they can be absorbed or reflected right back all day long with the greatest of ease.  :lol  I played an Akuma last night who seemed to be thinking he could out-fireball me and I kept sending that shit right back. :rofl 

Seen some complaints about her lack of moves, but nah- you've got to look at how she plays differently, since it's all about that orb.  Some normals function differently with or without the orb, plus in addition to the orb throw and soul throw moves, her v-skill is super-useful and is a move on its own with combo/juggle properties, plus she has a Dhalsim-style air drill.

My only complaints right now are that her overhead and slide seem too slow.  Maybe I'm just not using them right.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #1305 on: August 31, 2017, 10:08:08 AM »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1306 on: September 01, 2017, 01:14:19 PM »
niccas are going crazy about menat lmao
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1307 on: September 01, 2017, 10:43:41 PM »
https://gfycat.com/DismalBoringChinesecrocodilelizard

Menat is the first video game character that I want to fuck. Hands down. No shame.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #1308 on: September 02, 2017, 03:33:08 AM »

:lol That ending.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1309 on: September 02, 2017, 12:29:53 PM »
https://gfycat.com/DismalBoringChinesecrocodilelizard

Menat is the first video game character that I want to fuck. Hands down. No shame.
:leon
ど助平

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #1310 on: September 03, 2017, 07:07:05 PM »

:mouf

husbando krillin in her lvl 3 cinematic if he's on your team instead of 17

:lawd

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1311 on: September 05, 2017, 09:15:39 AM »
Been doing Casual matches with Menat and was getting mostly-owned left and right all weekend.
:stahp

You really have to be able to set things up with her or it's over.  From that standpoint, I don't know if she's for me.  I like characters with better mobility, normals, and who can be played on a more reactionary level, so I think it's back to Cammy.  We'll see.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #1312 on: September 07, 2017, 03:30:37 AM »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1313 on: September 07, 2017, 03:39:37 AM »
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1314 on: September 07, 2017, 07:38:29 AM »
    There’s a bug in Melee that only technically malfunctioning controllers can avoid. The malfunctioning is rare, volatile & causes other issues

Due to this malfunctioning being a necessary criterion as long as we don’t employ Magus’ smash turn fix code, only about 1-3% of GCCs are viable for players like @ArmadaUGS and @MVG_Mew2King, since that’s how few have said malfunctioning (PODE) to a sufficient degree.

The amount and type of PODE can change any time, so at the moment, the competitively best GCCs are inherently unreliable.

The only way around this is either employing Magus’ smash turn fix code or using controllers with digital buttons to dash / analyzer chips.

:crazy

ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1315 on: September 07, 2017, 10:13:22 AM »
EDIT: The below mostly applies to the Melee scene, I don't pay attention of the Smash 4 fanbase as much because I want to continue to enjoy the game :lol

The reason that Smash is seen negatively in the FGC is easy: the fanbase. i'll state up front, no I don't fully include you in this Tasty...I also enjoy watching Smash 4 matches (not Melee). But it's true. The Smash fanbase mentality is 100% the opposite of the FGC. A lot of this comes from Smash previously being excluded from FGC events. They were mocked/excluded/forced to play with items in FGC events (including EVO) and eventually gave up and decided to make their own events and scene. And they were good at it, eventually getting into MLG events and on television with Smash. Smash went the full eSports route like COD/Halo/CS/etc. However eventually they were dropped from MLG as MLG moved on to newer games (next version of COD/Halo/Gears) and Smash players refused to upgrade beyond Melee (yes, Brawl was bad. But they were still left behind by MLG for not moving to the next game).

So now the Smash fanbase mentality is focused more around an obsession with eSports and being eSports and how big they WERE. So every move the scene makes is intended to either flex that muscle or prove that they still matter. This is seen from them making demands that seem absurd to FGC events. Stuff like running the entire long ass tournament 3/5 matches, seeding their "Gods" out of pools, having extremely long warmups and VIP areas for the "Gods". This is because they are used to being the big dogs at events run 100% for and by their own people. But the FGC doesn't respect "Gods" like Smash does. So Smashers are mocked and mistreated in their eyes. To be honest the Smash idea of "Gods" is very much an eSports thing. eSports like Dota/LoL/etc are more about spectating the "best of the best" rather than trying to be the best yourself. Most Smash players will actually give up before the match starts when they have to play a "God", which then reinforces that these players are untouchable and they have the final word on all things Smash. This is especially the case in Melee. If a "God"speaks something about the game, it is taken as gospel. In the FGC, if you play a top player your number one goal is to beat and (if possible) embarrass them while you do it.

This turned a little rambling and probably more than a little autistic but it's what I've learned talking to local friends that are a "big deal" in the Smash scene about this exact subject. The Smash and FGC mentalities are just oil and water, but the Smash scene also is much more interested in paying money to attend events and such so the FGC events will keep them around for the paycheck as long as possible. This works well for the Smash scene as well because they can then brag about what a big deal they are being on the main stage of EVO/CEO/etc.

And then of course there's the "they don't shower", "they are all 12 years old", "they are whiny babies", or whatever other spewed by the FGC too. But honestly that applies to both sides and is just a shorthand to mock the general behavior and mindset of the Smash scene.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 10:38:23 AM by nachobro »

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #1316 on: September 07, 2017, 11:32:44 AM »
Nacho read this delicious thread plz

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fighters/comments/6ykv2b/why_is_smash_bros_seen_negatively_in_the_fgc/

Nacho explains it so well. But I sooooo want to post that 2 year old /v/ posting about their scene in here again just to kick Andy. :(

As it is: I really wish Evo would drop them again because that shit is boring to watch (IMO) and I simply hate the Smash community.

Himu

« Reply #1317 on: September 07, 2017, 03:32:51 PM »
Smashers give up? :what

They don't have the hustle? They don't have the will to improve?

And they're a part of our FGC?  :crazy if I played Daigo I would cream my pants to lose to him and improve in the process. My fucking hero Valle is competing in ST, one of the games I play, at SCR. I'm trying to make it make goal to go to SCR despite low funds after the flood. I would love to fight him and learn a thing or two or ten in the process. They don't have that mentality?! :crazy
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1318 on: September 07, 2017, 03:41:01 PM »
Well, no. I don't want to misrepresent Smash players as a whole. And like I said this I'm talking more Melee, not a Smash 4. There's some crossover in ideas there but the two scenes have enough difference that I can't really speak for them both. And I just don't know as much about the Smash 4 scene, I just watch some of their events on Twitch and see some shit on Twitter. Tasty would probably be better at explaining the Smash 4 scene than I would.

But you also have to realize that essentially Melee is a solved game. The strats are figured out. The character tier lists are set. There's room in there for individuals to improve themselves but in the end, a lot of the game is completely figured out. So in some ways the "Gods" mentality makes sense. You have someone like M2K who has been winning events for 11 years or whatever, of course someone is going to be outclassed by him unless they've been busting ass for just as long.

Plus there's also the separation of player classes in the Smash scene. There's the pros and...everyone else. The two don't mix. You won't find pros getting casuals (or Friendlies as they call them) with regular joes. In fact there's even a term (called Jims) for regular player who try to get in sets with pros while they are practicing. So that leads to the mentality of putting the sponsored/pro-tier players on a pedestal. It's just all related to the eSports mentality I talked about before. The pros are the pros and you (the regular player) are below them. But you will still have fun spectating matches. Kinda like how NFL fans aren't NFL players, if that makes sense.

So not trying to paint Smash fans as "giving up" but the mentality of the pros and the way the game itself has been figured out and dissected to pieces just lends better to the "Gods"/eSports mentality. Hopefully that made sense. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 03:51:48 PM by nachobro »

Himu

« Reply #1319 on: September 07, 2017, 04:00:49 PM »
ST is a "solved game" and we don't have that fucking bullshit.
IYKYK