Author Topic: Fighting Games Thread: GAROU 2 GAROU 2 GAROU 2 GAROU 2  (Read 435633 times)

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
Re: Fighting Games Thread
« Reply #1380 on: September 19, 2017, 11:25:01 AM »
That's sporadic and really depends on Steam allowing the publisher. Most of the time, publishers won't do that and would rather let Steam update the depots automatically. Most folks staying up late are being dumb, you'll get the game when it unlocks eventually. I'd rather rage when Steam updates and the game is late (like some I've bought have been before) on coming out than anything.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1381 on: September 19, 2017, 12:22:03 PM »
MvCI is now available on Steam.  I'm getting that weird, occasional fuck-up that happens when I try to play it and it says it has to download and/or unpack content for way too long even though it's 100% pre-loaded.  Watched the time remaining go as high as 45 days, lmao.  It seems to be unpacking properly now.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #1382 on: September 19, 2017, 12:28:34 PM »
Need more virtual on footage
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1383 on: September 19, 2017, 12:29:15 PM »
:rofl

I know someone who bought a PS4 for this game, lmao.
:kobeyuck I picked it up for running tournaments. Couldn't imagine buying a PS4 for it, yeesh

I think Marvel is pretty much the only game he plays.  I didn't even know he got a PS4 because all I saw him playing was UMvC3 and assumed he was still playing it on PS3, lol. 
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1384 on: September 19, 2017, 12:31:26 PM »
Still unpacking, lmao.  I bet I'm going to have to end up re-downloading it again.  :doge  And I still have my other PC to unpack it on.

Idiots were going so crazy that some of them requested refunds because "the game release is late."  I like seeing the trolls that the game was either delayed or outright canceled, though. 
:neogaf
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1385 on: September 19, 2017, 01:20:35 PM »
Fuck, this is such a janky mess graphically.  Some of the models are still so horrible.  Like...they corrected Chun's face...but forgot to fix her body.  Torso looks so goofy.  :lol
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #1386 on: September 19, 2017, 07:05:33 PM »
edit
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 12:40:57 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

thisismyusername

« Reply #1387 on: September 19, 2017, 07:13:46 PM »
One thing I'm noticing is he throws you a lot when he gets in close (especially in those first few rounds). I forget if SF2 had throw-reversals, but you might want to anticipate a possible throw on that.

Himu

« Reply #1388 on: September 19, 2017, 07:18:39 PM »
he's tick throwing. you have to guess. ST has no throw escapes. Only throw softening. When I jump in the air after a throw rather than falling to the ground, that's a softening.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1389 on: September 21, 2017, 01:23:08 AM »
The game has been out for three days and Capcom is showing off a completed DLC character. :neogaf

and she looks fucking great :goty2

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1390 on: September 21, 2017, 07:30:24 AM »
SHOCKING to nobody

You know what?  The game visually has issues and the presentation is crap, but MvCI is kinda fun to play.
:leon

I appreciate it being made more accessible since I am very much a Vs. game scrub.  It's nice to actually go online and even win some matches for a change.
ど助平

thisismyusername

« Reply #1391 on: September 21, 2017, 08:55:44 AM »
SHOCKING to nobody

You know what?  The game visually has issues and the presentation is crap, but MvCI is kinda fun to play.

I appreciate it being made more accessible since I am very much a Vs. game scrub.  It's nice to actually go online and even win some matches for a change.

Game just came out. Let's wait and see when people find the "launcher->OTG->INFINITE INFINITE INFINITE" that is Marvel.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comments/71epp6/even_mainstream_reviewers_are_trolling_capcom/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comments/71cbhk/mvci_had_a_peak_players_count_of_36k_compared_to/

If street fighter was a failure, then infinite would be what my parents would call me if they were still alive.

:valle
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 09:08:53 AM by thisismyusername »

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1392 on: September 21, 2017, 10:00:03 AM »
SHOCKING to nobody

Yep. It's hideously ugly, has pisspoor presentation, feels cheap as shit....but is really fun to play.

This DLC trailer is basically my entire feelings on this game distilled: I'm annoyed and frustrated that they are pushing DLC three days after release of a clearly incomplete game....but damn she looks cool.

thisismyusername

« Reply #1393 on: September 21, 2017, 11:32:55 AM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1394 on: September 21, 2017, 08:02:37 PM »
 :rofl
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #1395 on: September 24, 2017, 03:36:19 AM »

Great video.

Trying injustice tomorrow even though I'm not big on the aesthetic or the cheesy monologues in the middle of a fight
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1396 on: September 24, 2017, 10:15:10 PM »
I think Injustice sucks. But Fantasy Strike owns. The ninja chick sold me on the game. So fun! Ninja girl vs archer girl is a fun af match up.
IYKYK

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #1397 on: September 24, 2017, 10:21:19 PM »
play guilty gear
excited about ki on steam...whenever thats coming "later this year"

thisismyusername

Tasty

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1400 on: September 25, 2017, 08:29:12 PM »
Need more virtual on footage

Yes.

Does Virtual On count as a fighting game? The varied environments and focus on ranged combat make it feel more like a third-person shooter to me.

I agree, though, I'm excited to think about more VO and the mecha merch coming soon…

Himu

« Reply #1401 on: September 25, 2017, 08:32:40 PM »
It is a fighting game but a different type. The fundamentals are the same.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1402 on: September 27, 2017, 09:56:33 AM »
Oh wow, MVCI sold 8k in Japan. By comparison for their first week MVC3 sold like 70k and UMVC3 sold like 20k. Guilty Gear Xrd sold 3x as much on PS3...GGXrd Rev2, a game that was out in the arcades for months in Japan, sold 2k more on console first week. :lol

NA numbers should be interesting. Capcom must be :-\
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 10:16:52 AM by nachobro »

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1403 on: September 27, 2017, 11:11:50 AM »
It was outsold by NBA 2K in Japan too :lol

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #1404 on: September 27, 2017, 12:48:22 PM »
dang, I was hoping I could wait out the dry season and jump in when there was a lot of dlc characters to fill out the roster, but at this pace we might not get much dlc  :-\

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1405 on: September 27, 2017, 01:14:19 PM »
Good.  They need this kind of kick in the ass to let them know that they can't half-ass these releases.  I wouldn't be surprised if a small part of the low sales has to do with the lack of X-Men, at least in the U.S., too.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #1406 on: September 27, 2017, 01:24:46 PM »
A small part? Lol. I stopped taking the game seriously the second they said no xmen. I basically crossed it off in my mind and I'm sure others did too. Let's look at the logistics. Half the Marvel side of the cast in Marvel fighters are Xmen because Marvel Capcom fighting games started with an Xmen fighting game:  Children of the Atom. This means that you take out Xmen, you're going to have a large slice of your cast gone overnight. It was obvious from that point that the cast would be shit purely due to numbers. Marvel without optic blast and magneto? Lmao Let's make street fighter without ryu then? Sounds like a good game. ::)

This was before the 2 team bullshit and gems.

There are people who thought it'd be good without Xmen? What I want to know is...why?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 01:29:37 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1407 on: September 27, 2017, 02:07:05 PM »
Yes...a small part.  I don't think the majority would have the very reaction you posted that I was referring to.  :doge
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #1408 on: September 27, 2017, 02:22:09 PM »
Nah. They wouldn't come to the logical conclusion that that no Xmen = smaller marvel side cast = smaller capcom side cast in order to compensate, but I think most people will go "no Xmen? If I can't play as Wolverine why should I live?" and didn't get it. X-men remain among the most popular Marvel characters. Logan made $617 million at the box office. Deadpool made $783.1 million. X-men Apocalypse made $543.9 million. Basically, X-Men remains popular. MvCI has no X-men characters. If you think that's a small part of this games failure, then, well...

You might be either Marvel or Capcom.

You can argue whether the bad package is why the game failed. That's fair. But to say no X-Men played merely a small part? :lol
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 02:28:35 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1409 on: September 27, 2017, 02:33:29 PM »
In any case, I'm done talking about MVCI and I hope others are too. I just hope Capcom makes Super Street Fighter V the most legit thing ever. Going by their second releases of their fighting games (CE, Alpha 2, Super IV;etc) it should be pretty tight. Also, here's hoping that this convinces Capcom to never make another Marvsl versus game ever again. Make Capcom vs Sega and give the people what we want!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 02:38:38 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #1410 on: September 27, 2017, 02:59:31 PM »
Anecdotally, my fighting-game-savvy homeboy wrote off the exclusion of the X-Men as nbd, but the news personally killed most of my interest and was a huge red flag - I just instantly had a feeling that it was a really bad sign, and lo and behold it just went downhill from there. I'm actually kind of surprised to hear that it actually plays well considering how janky it is aesthetically

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1411 on: September 27, 2017, 03:08:34 PM »
For me, the lack of X-Men is a small part. The general bad graphics, shit UI, awful presentation, bad music, half-assed VA, distinguished mentally-challenged and ugly story mode, and general incomplete nature of the game combined with shilling DLC from Day -100 or so overshadowed that.

Either way, if the NA numbers track along with EU and Japan we won't have to worry much about how bad Capcom's next fighting game will be...at least for the next decade or so. :doge I would assume three flops in a row is enough to convince Capcom higher ups that their money is best spent on non-fighters.

Tasty

« Reply #1412 on: September 27, 2017, 03:46:01 PM »
Oh wow, MVCI sold 8k in Japan. By comparison for their first week MVC3 sold like 70k and UMVC3 sold like 20k. Guilty Gear Xrd sold 3x as much on PS3...GGXrd Rev2, a game that was out in the arcades for months in Japan, sold 2k more on console first week. :lol

NA numbers should be interesting. Capcom must be :-\

Code: [Select]
01./00. [NSW] Pokken Tournament DX <FTG> (Pokemon Co.) {2017.09.22} (Ą5.980) - 53.395 / NEW
08./00. [PS4] Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite <FTG> (Capcom) {2017.09.21} (Ą6.990) - 8.273 / NEW

:dead

Code: [Select]
03./00. [NSW] Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers <FTG> (Capcom) {2017.05.26} (Ą4.990) - 16.404 / NEW

thisismyusername

« Reply #1413 on: September 27, 2017, 04:41:12 PM »
dang, I was hoping I could wait out the dry season and jump in when there was a lot of dlc characters to fill out the roster, but at this pace we might not get much dlc  :-\

Good.

Capcom being scummy with Fight Money and wanting to do thousands of seasons = no.

Free characters a la MOBA's is the way to go. DLC your skimpy outfits like DOA if you must.

thisismyusername

« Reply #1414 on: September 27, 2017, 04:44:01 PM »
Nah. They wouldn't come to the logical conclusion that that no Xmen = smaller marvel side cast = smaller capcom side cast in order to compensate, but I think most people will go "no Xmen? If I can't play as Wolverine why should I live?" and didn't get it. X-men remain among the most popular Marvel characters. Logan made $617 million at the box office. Deadpool made $783.1 million. X-men Apocalypse made $543.9 million. Basically, X-Men remains popular. MvCI has no X-men characters. If you think that's a small part of this games failure, then, well...

(Image removed from quote.)

You can argue whether the bad package is why the game failed. That's fair. But to say no X-Men played merely a small part? :lol

No X-men and it looking budget mobile-shit-tier is why I passed on it.

Fuck Marvel/Disney/Permutter for their vendetta against Fox and the X-men. And double fuck Capcom for not telling them to go fuck themselves because they're in the poorhouse and trying to get out of it.

Frankly, after how much Capcom screwed over Ace Attorney, Resident Evil, and the like over the years? They can sink for all I care. They clearly don't get why their fanbases like them and then try to super exploit them. No, ma'am, not here for that.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1415 on: September 27, 2017, 04:45:01 PM »

thisismyusername

Tasty

« Reply #1417 on: September 27, 2017, 04:47:08 PM »

No X-men and it looking budget mobile-shit-tier is why I passed on it.

Fuck Marvel/Disney/Permutter for their vendetta against Fox and the X-men. And double fuck Capcom for not telling them to go fuck themselves because they're in the poorhouse and trying to get out of it.

Frankly, after how much Capcom screwed over Ace Attorney, Resident Evil, and the like over the years? They can sink for all I care. They clearly don't get why their fanbases like them and then try to super exploit them. No, ma'am, not here for that.

They can release Monster Hunter World on Switch and then fuck off and die IMO. :P

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1418 on: September 27, 2017, 04:49:02 PM »
Not F2P on Steam?

RIP.
It's already on the Top Sellers list (a place MVCI never made it to). This version is actually really good. It comes with everything you could purchase for KI in-game. All characters, costumes, colors, etc. The only thing not included is the netplay version of KI2 (X1 only) and some colors that you could only get by buying KI figures. For the price they are asking right now, it's a steal.

thisismyusername

« Reply #1419 on: September 27, 2017, 04:50:16 PM »
I'm sure it is, but my point is it's not going to entice a lot of the Steam/non-fighting game base if you can't point out that there is a F2P version available*

spoiler (click to show/hide)
*On MS's horrible store, but lol who uses that amirite?
I do, for Phantom Dust. :fbm
[close]
[close]

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1420 on: September 27, 2017, 04:52:12 PM »
One thing that is kind of funny is that the Steam version is crossplay for all modes except Ranked (aka the only mode people care about for the most part). I assume it's cause the X1/Windows Store version uses TrueSkill for ranking, but still that's pretty dumb.

thisismyusername

« Reply #1421 on: September 27, 2017, 05:01:37 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1422 on: September 27, 2017, 07:23:57 PM »

Yeah, I think it played a small part.   :lol  This game has Avengers and Spider-Man and shit that has made tons and tons of money.  That doesn't matter.  I think the game being half-assed in a lot of ways and Joe Average consumer not caring about fighting games as much or thinking that the mobile game he has on phone is enough played a much, much bigger part.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1423 on: September 27, 2017, 07:30:46 PM »
It really is astonishing that a re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-release of SFII, on new hardware no less, sold more than Marvel Vs. Capcom.   :lol 
It's the better game, too.  :doge
[close]

Call me crazy, but I think Capcom should try releasing something more like Smash Bros. again.  They gave it a shot years ago with Onimusha Warlords and Viewtiful Joe Red Hot Rumble, but enough MvC nonsense-- put those characters in a Smash style game instead. 

WOW.   :lol  And also sad that there's so few people playing PC fighters in general.  :-\

I hate what Marvel is doing to the X-Men (and Fantastic Four) so much.  Stop pushing those characters away because someone else has the fucking movie rights.   :(

http://store.steampowered.com/app/577940/Killer_Instinct/

I wonder if this means mods?

They can release Monster Hunter World on Switch and then fuck off and die IMO. :P

Another bizarre decision from Capcom right here.  WHY WOULDN'T YOU RELEASE THIS ON A PLATFORM THAT *ISN'T* GETTING WORLD!?  Idiots.

ど助平

Himu

« Reply #1424 on: September 28, 2017, 07:46:09 PM »
Good thread.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fighters/comments/72zd8s/what_happens_when_the_fgc_becomes_bigger/

This is why you should go to your local weekly/monthly tourney and pitch in: so we can grow the local scene! A bigger local scene means better players, and better players means more rivals and friends and we all improve in the process.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 07:58:30 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1425 on: September 28, 2017, 08:02:42 PM »
This could also be benefit from including more and more games to locals. Considering starting up ST and Vsav at my locals so we can improve and start rivalries and shit. Maybe have local monthlies too. Definitely interested in TO'ing to help certain games get their due. 

This is why people need to be more supportive of games like Fantasy Strike even if they aren't going to play them.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1426 on: September 29, 2017, 04:08:12 AM »
Really like Ibuki. I'm not going to say I switched or abandoned Chun as she'll always be my main in SF at this point out of pure loyalty to the character but Ibuki is technical and REALLY fun. Most fun I've had in SFV actually. Here's my ghetto Ibuki. Working on a couple of things, namely my bad confirms and lack of good damage. Also still getting used to her ranges and it's hard for me to cross up for whatever reason. I also need to be more patient and press less buttons at certain times. Love her. She's execution heavy, technical, and just fun to play as. Made a good choice getting into her. Combined with Menat and I'm back on the SFV train. So I'm playing three - no, four - fgs. Best genre. GOAT genre. Need to pick which game I want to devote most of my time to.

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1427 on: September 29, 2017, 09:35:29 AM »
I might as well play SFV so I can get out of bronze. I'm at least gold at this point. Players learn to respect me once they've played me but that bronze isn't my true level and is a blight on my rep. :maf that's what I get for not playing it for a year and a half tho.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1428 on: September 29, 2017, 09:38:41 AM »
Nah, stay in broze.  It makes beating higher-ranked players more fun.  :doge

I'm in Silver on PS4 (and I think still bronze on PC) and wish I was still lower-ranked.  I like to stay in lobbies and do casual and beat people who actually think that the rank matters, lol.  I used to leave my SF4 rank at 0 or a couple hundred points for that exact reason.  You get people who will kick you or not join based on your rank, so staying low can help to get more matches.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #1429 on: September 29, 2017, 09:41:52 AM »
Lol and whoever said fighting game fundamentals don't carry from game to game? Wrong.

Dosu, I'm like Ryu, bro. I like fighting strong people. *clenches fist* I don't get excitement fighting scrubs.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1430 on: September 29, 2017, 09:53:28 AM »
Dosu, I'm like Ryu, bro. I like fighting strong people. *clenches fist* I don't get excitement fighting scrubs.

Me too...I don't think you get what I mean here.

Ranking shit doesn't matter.  There's lots of people who do exactly what I do playing unranked modes for that reason.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #1431 on: September 29, 2017, 10:01:09 AM »
Eh. I have a wider access of good players by ranking up and when I get to pools at a tourney I can be known at a basic level and have more casuals if I get high enough. Long term goal is platinum. Friend/coach thinks I will reach plat if I put my time exclusively into SFV. I want to be able to fight someone like Punk in the comfort of my home. Already chill with plat level players, might as well be on their level.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1432 on: September 29, 2017, 12:04:04 PM »
Nothing wrong with that either!

But do you want to play SFV exclusively?
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #1433 on: September 29, 2017, 12:10:47 PM »
I can dedicate my time to one game and then still play other games. Play ST thirty minutes every other day and Tekken 30 minutes every other day. Great thing about Tekken is it doesn't take much to know what you need to work on. Then when I get tired of SFV I can switch them around for advice on playing multiple games.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1434 on: September 30, 2017, 03:24:28 AM »
Ibuki is turning me into a lab monster. Fun to lab and practice with and get better in execution and try set ups with.

https://twitter.com/rosaryfgc/status/914034964202745856
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 03:52:42 AM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1435 on: October 01, 2017, 02:59:38 AM »
One thing people don't talk about regarding SFV which really grinds my gears: the tone.

Street Fighter should be Street Fighter. It has a specific tone. It isn't overly silly despite all the super powers and shit. In II you have every day stages like this:

In V we have that same stage but it's just full of silly hijinks in the background. The people aren't just cheering anymore. Any time someone hits the ground the people watching fall back and it's fucking DUMB. Or all the people doing all this silly shit in the background in the India stage. Or dancing bears.

And to make matters worse, if you get a win in the corner something happens that's fucking stupid. Like the ladies dancing in the Brazil stage chase the player into the tunnel or whatever and it MAKES NO SENSE. Or you'll have players with Russian dolls on their heads after it falls on them or whatever. The tone is awful and overly shitty.

Or take Karin's SFV stage. The design of the stage itself is fine. But NO ONE IN THIS STAGE is viewing the fight with an actual sense of spectatorship. They're just doing their own thing. You've got ninjas, and bell boys doing karate moves, and a posing waiter. I. HATE. IT.

Why is he posing? Why is not just cheering? FUCK.

This is the tone I look for in Street Fighter.

I'm not against silly stuff, because I liked the original China stage stuff like getting thrown into a wall or on a bus. But it feels like EVERY stage is that now and they've even went out of their way to try to ruin classics like the Dictator SFII Thailand stage with more silly bullshit (dancing monks for example). The tone does not scream Street Fighter. It feels WEIRD. It's almost like they put this stupid stuff in it for esports spectators. Fuck.

I have no idea who they're trying to cater to with these stages. IV handled the much better so far and had a much more fitting SF tone. Stages like Underpass, Morning Mist Bay, the temple stage, the festival...those stages GET IT. I have no idea who they're trying to cater to in V but it isn't SF fans and nothing seals this more than the tone of the stages.

Whoever designed the stage for Shadaloo base, with all the npcs doing stupid shit, REALLY doesn't get SF and I have no idea what series they've been playing the past few three or so decades.

/aspergers
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 03:20:49 AM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #1436 on: October 01, 2017, 03:26:51 AM »
wouldn't mind a less serious sf2 animated movie vibe

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1437 on: October 01, 2017, 10:46:07 AM »
One thing people don't talk about regarding SFV which really grinds my gears: the tone.

Street Fighter should be Street Fighter. It has a specific tone. It isn't overly silly despite all the super powers and shit. In II you have every day stages like this:

SFV is very much Street Fighter.  There's been plenty of silly shit in past games, too.  The only thing that's changed up is more personality being shown in some backgrounds.

:idont
ど助平

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #1438 on: October 01, 2017, 01:41:48 PM »
It's been cheesy, but QoI is right that SF5 cranked the cheesecake to 11

Himu

« Reply #1439 on: October 01, 2017, 01:42:34 PM »
Nah. SF was never this silly. They've upped it 10x to a tone that recognizably NOT Street Fighter.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 01:57:17 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK