Author Topic: Fighting Games Thread: GAROU 2 GAROU 2 GAROU 2 GAROU 2  (Read 435437 times)

Himu

Re: Fighting Games Thread
« Reply #1320 on: September 07, 2017, 04:03:23 PM »
Speaking of ST..

https://clips.twitch.tv/BitterUnsightlyMuleCharlietheUnicorn

Might by my favorite fg at this point.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1321 on: September 07, 2017, 04:14:09 PM »
ST isn't really a fully solved game imo. Not like Melee is. Hell, just a few years ago T Hawk's throw whiff discovery lead to a drastic change in his tier placement. At the ST tourney at EVO, you had my friend Ryyudo embarrassing players with big tier upsets playing as Honda. ST is also dead so it can be effectively solved without being completely solved. And no, 3-5 big ST events a year isn't a living game.

Melee has big events almost weekly. The game has been broken down to the code and been examined to hell and back (that's how the patched version with the controller changes exists). The game has been banged on with 100s to 1000s of competitors weekly for 16 years. There's no comparison for that kind of thing in the FGC.

Because of the amount of people playing both games, it's just not a good comparison. It's not a knock on ST. It's because of the FGC mentality of moving on to the next game. That means the games left behind will always have undiscovered tech because there's not the same amount of people breaking the game down to learn it. Melee players never moved on so that's what's lead to it being completely solved and set in stone at this point.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1322 on: September 07, 2017, 04:29:39 PM »
Also to be a bit cheeky, ask any ST player on their chances against mao/nuki/kusamondo or any VSAV player on their chances against haitani/dyne/mightymar and see their response :lol

Himu

« Reply #1323 on: September 07, 2017, 04:34:52 PM »
You know you're going to beat them, but hey, fuck it. Who cares. Still play. Dude beat Kusumondo at a tourney in NYC like last month. It's not impossible.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1324 on: September 07, 2017, 04:37:55 PM »
fair point, just saying those games are the closest the FGC will get to having the "unbeatable Gods" mentality. but the overall aversion to eSports that most of the FGC has is a big counter to that mentality.

Tasty

« Reply #1325 on: September 07, 2017, 05:55:25 PM »

Why are we posting articles from April about things that have been going on in the scene since the beginning?

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #1326 on: September 07, 2017, 07:49:28 PM »
we're not all nintendo spergs that follow this mascot fighting game shit, i found it quite interesting. i played melee a lot in my teens, but it was strictly the for-stoner casual fighting game, i loved it, but i'm still surprised people are banging on that. i've got my og cube, wavebirds and melee disc in storage. might have to boot it up and figure out how to check all my old controllers for this defect.
◕‿◕

Himu

« Reply #1327 on: September 07, 2017, 08:00:56 PM »
I posted it because it was on the link I posted above it and it was so absurd that I had to post it seperately
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1328 on: September 08, 2017, 07:43:07 AM »
The "I have no chance to win against [player name]" thing is dumb is as hell and goes back decades, back to the Usenet days.  There was a dude in college who claimed to be all into fighting games, yet never seemed to play them because "what's the point when I'll never be as good at ST or Alpha as Alex Valle."  He'd also claim pretty much every game was "...broken" (always written or said with a pause before the word like that) so forget playing anything.  HEY MAN MARVEL VS. CAPCOM IS OUT ON DREAMCAST HOLY SHIT!!!! "Can't play that.  It's...broken.  There's a Doom/Strider trap that this one guy in Cali found and uses that beats everything."  But you don't live in Cali and we're just playing for fun. "Naw...what's the point in playing for fun if you don't win?  And it's...broken." 

Literally every fucking game.  And this was back in 1999/2000.
:dead

ど助平

Himu

« Reply #1329 on: September 08, 2017, 10:46:52 AM »
What a fuckin scrubby ass mook
IYKYK

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #1330 on: September 09, 2017, 01:32:21 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1331 on: September 09, 2017, 07:19:49 PM »
There are a few gaming bars in d/t Osaka now, one of them is run by an expat who seems decent enough, Space Station. I told him a year or so ago that I'd bring a copy of Tobal by, leave it for his collection.

There's a large-ish expat dev gathering nearby his (very small) bar, so I finally dropped off both 1&2, told him I'd be by later to play. Ended up staying with the devs until the last train home. It was a good night, but the bar guy said, "Hey, you didn't even come by to play!"

I happened to be up on Friday night with a friend, so we dropped in again. The bar's air-conditioning is out, and the bar is FULL, and it doesn't have a system/screen available that'll play Tobal. I'm already sweating, so we bail.

I went again yesterday, hoping they opened early on Saturdays, no love.

Now I'm hoping Hyoushi comes down to Osaka, giving me an excuse to drag him there… and that the a/c's fixed by then.

KEWL STORY BRO. Yeah, yeah, just goes to show how much I want to return to THE ISLAND OF TOBAL!

Himu

« Reply #1332 on: September 11, 2017, 10:31:10 AM »

Fucking finally
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1333 on: September 12, 2017, 08:53:33 PM »
SSV Special out on PS4 and Vita today.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #1334 on: September 12, 2017, 08:58:30 PM »
FINALLY. Unfortunately saving all money for SCR.
IYKYK

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #1335 on: September 13, 2017, 10:12:01 PM »
I just bought Garou Mark of the Wolves for the Switch.

Pretty cool game; love the animation.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #1336 on: September 14, 2017, 02:38:23 PM »
SSV Special out on PS4 and Vita today.

INSTABOUGHT

it is so nuts how many great fighting games there are currently. New mahvel next week too...

I am rediculous for buying all of these even at a discount.

Himu

« Reply #1337 on: September 15, 2017, 02:56:59 AM »
First major next week. Scared. My fucking hero Alex Valle is going to be in the same tournament as me. I might be able to play him in casuals from THE American ST Gawd. Afrolegends will be there too. I'm really excited. I'm really nervous. I hope I don't feel like a fraud even though I'm still on the journey to high level. I want to feel like I belong. I want to take advantage and learn. This is the first time I'll be playing with world class players face to face.

Hold meeeeeeeeeeeee

This thing is getting me through.

http://shoryuken.com/2017/02/28/how-to-get-the-most-from-attending-your-first-event-or-tournament/
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 03:11:15 AM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1338 on: September 15, 2017, 02:59:46 AM »
Also, the level of play in V is starting to make me interested in playing it again. Going to be picking it back up but playing it lightly.

This stuff is why I love SF and why it's my favorite fg series. So fun to watch, I can't imagine how it is to play.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1339 on: September 15, 2017, 09:32:35 AM »
Interesting stuff there with Menat.  I don't get why Sako wasn't reflecting more of Tokido's fireballs though.  ???

Good luck in the tournament and relax!  I'm sure it will be fun.
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1340 on: September 15, 2017, 10:03:30 AM »
Good luck at SCR. As someone that's been to plenty of these things, Bork is right. Just relax and you'll do great. Number one issue in big tournaments is to make sure you aren't in your head the whole time.

Himu

« Reply #1341 on: September 15, 2017, 10:37:15 AM »
Interesting stuff there with Menat.  I don't get why Sako wasn't reflecting more of Tokido's fireballs though.  ???

Good luck in the tournament and relax!  I'm sure it will be fun.

He reflected them a few times. I haven't fought Menat, but Akuma's gameplan here definitely isn't to zone, which is why Tokido mostly uses fbs as a random poke that Sako has to guess. Akuma needs to get in to do the damage to Menat as we all know due to her reflection and anti-zoning/zoning ability. I think it's a matter of trying to not be predictable. If he resorts to doing reflect too much, and since this is fucking Tokido and not a lower skilled player it could be a hard read and he could whiff the reflect. Tokido is meaningful with his fbs, and Sako's gotta guess. A bad reflect against unpredictable fbs could allow Akuma to get in her face. You don't want that. So a neutral jump with Menat's really fast jump and that jump kick which seems to stuff hadoukens (:o I saw it beat them clean a few times) seems a safer bet.... some of the time.

That's the best thing I could conclude.

Menat seems to be one of those game changer characters that the game needed to become better in terms of play. Has me excited for Super.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1342 on: September 15, 2017, 11:01:01 AM »
Yeah. The information as to why Sako doesn't reflect is all in the first minute of the set.

Tokido starts the match with zoning to kind of test Sako out it seems. Sako communicates that if you're predictable with your fbs then I'll just jump forward and kick you in the face. After that, Tokido holds off on the fbs. At around 38 seconds Tokido switches the script and sees what happens when he doesn't do an fb. Sako makes a hard read reflect and whiffs which Tokido uses as an opportunity to dash in and start Akuma's close quarters combat with Sako. After that, Tokido's fbs are far more unpredictable and become pokes.

Basically, both players gathered info and it was all about communication.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #1343 on: September 15, 2017, 11:19:10 PM »

thisismyusername

« Reply #1344 on: September 15, 2017, 11:23:47 PM »
Shit posting Capcom aside: The rest of it seems decent, but not $200 for a budget-shoestring-fighting-game decent. :doge

Himu

« Reply #1345 on: September 15, 2017, 11:47:29 PM »
I don't care about mvci but all the best to the people excited for it I guess.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1346 on: September 15, 2017, 11:51:31 PM »
Yeah. The information as to why Sako doesn't reflect is all in the first minute of the set.

Tokido starts the match with zoning to kind of test Sako out it seems. Sako communicates that if you're predictable with your fbs then I'll just jump forward and kick you in the face. After that, Tokido holds off on the fbs. At around 38 seconds Tokido switches the script and sees what happens when he doesn't do an fb. Sako makes a hard read reflect and whiffs which Tokido uses as an opportunity to dash in and start Akuma's close quarters combat with Sako. After that, Tokido's fbs are far more unpredictable and become pokes.

Basically, both players gathered info and it was all about communication.

I'm not really seeing that.  There were a lot of chances for him to use her v-skill and he just didn't for whatever reason.  It can be used to build meter and reflect those red FBs right back so it's a bit of a head-scratcher, but far be from me to criticize him.  :P
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #1347 on: September 15, 2017, 11:57:52 PM »
:idont

All I can see do is guess.

A lot of the top Asian players deconstruct characters and play them their own way.
IYKYK

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #1348 on: September 16, 2017, 07:31:18 PM »
tien and yamcha in dbf...and a new waifu appears:
https://twitter.com/MinovskyArticle/status/909064826118434816

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #1350 on: September 17, 2017, 08:24:55 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1351 on: September 18, 2017, 07:29:41 AM »
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1352 on: September 18, 2017, 09:27:50 AM »
Some fighting game codes for sale:

Tekken Tag 2 $5 (XB1 compatible) http://amzn.to/2jC1cge

Tekken 6 $5 (XB1 compatible) http://amzn.to/2y9BYIx

Soul Calibur 2 $5 (XB1 compatible) http://amzn.to/2xsidyz

fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1353 on: September 18, 2017, 11:24:18 AM »
Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite DLC Characters For 2017:

Sigma
Black Panther
Monster Hunter
Winter Solider
Black Widow
Venom

Capcom-Unity just announced those last four.  No X-Men.
ど助平

thisismyusername

« Reply #1354 on: September 18, 2017, 11:38:58 AM »
No X-Men.

Marvel only themselves to blame for me not buying this turd, then.

Tasty

« Reply #1355 on: September 18, 2017, 12:21:27 PM »
No X-Men even as DLC, what the fuck :lol :lol

Himu

« Reply #1356 on: September 18, 2017, 12:23:43 PM »
:lol rip

Dead game at launch
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1357 on: September 18, 2017, 12:43:02 PM »
:yeshrug I picked it up for $40, it looks fun. Watched Angelic vs RyanLV last night at Curleh and the game has just as much wild trickery and interesting combos as 2 and 3. And I wouldn't worry about DLC, something tells me this game is going to go wild with DLC for everything. These characters match up with the leaked list anyway, so I don't think anyone was expecting X-Men yet.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #1359 on: September 18, 2017, 01:41:38 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #1360 on: September 18, 2017, 01:43:16 PM »

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1361 on: September 18, 2017, 02:08:29 PM »
I will say I was pretty unimpressed with the DBFZ beta.

There were massive server issues and the game lagged a ton, but it was a beta so I won't hold that against it. I did like that it told you exactly how much input lag there was in frames, more games need to do that. I also liked that you could play against the AI when the servers were having issues, that was a good touch. The graphics were seriously amazing though, the game is gorgeous. The music is whatever, generic buttrock. Not interesting to me but my friends who like DBZ said the music was about average for the series.

The gameplay itself was kinda boring though. Android 16 was kinda fun but everyone else played the same. Lots of laser blast shit and shooting little fireballs. The combos and such seem rote and there isn't a ton of room to work with in the system so far. I figured that wouldn't be the case cause usually Arc is good about making unique characters but I guess that's how it goes with DBZ where everyone seems to have the same moves, plus they want to appeal to non-fighting game fans. I imagine the number of characters in the game will probably double or maybe triple so there's plenty of room to add different mechanics but right now it feels subpar compared to how Arc usually does their games.

Also it does that dumb thing that SFV does where you have to pick your characters before you go into matchmaking. Not a fan of that.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 02:13:47 PM by nachobro »

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #1362 on: September 18, 2017, 02:11:15 PM »
Reward these people with your money brehs

https://clips.twitch.tv/SecretiveComfortableChickpeaRalpherZ

Tasty

« Reply #1363 on: September 18, 2017, 02:18:45 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1364 on: September 18, 2017, 02:33:37 PM »
Ah yes, and now to see how many of the people shit-talking the game inevitably buy it...because you know they can't resist.
:neogaf

No X-Men even as DLC, what the fuck :lol :lol

That's all Marvel to blame.  The rest is all Capcom, lolol.

ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #1365 on: September 18, 2017, 02:49:36 PM »
Yeah, fuck Marvel on their messing up of the roster. First MvC game I'm skipping. Roster doesn't interest me, 2v2 doesn't interest me, gems don't interest me and the art is kinda shit.
Maybe I'll get the GoTY edition eventually when it has like double the characters and stuff sorted out and is $20.

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #1366 on: September 18, 2017, 07:53:02 PM »
mvci seemingly letting u tag off of every possible attack is really cool, there was a nice twitch clip on twitter of spencer doing a combo into a multiple grapple super– tagging into nova before the canned video– and it basically flowed into Nova's lvl3 like the team supers in sfxt. it was the coolest thing I've seen from the game so far (and absolutely something that should have been in promo videos!!)

The counter-tagging seems like a great idea too, much more interesting system for getting out of long as fukk combos than a gg-style burst or something like the IPS/undizzy in skullgirls.

Those two things are what got me hyped up a lil, but I'm still not convinced on the stone stuff and the roster is still pretty shit looking tbh. with DLC I expect the game to be quite nice in two years time when I probably get around to buying it.  :-[

I will say I was pretty unimpressed with the DBFZ beta.

There were massive server issues and the game lagged a ton, but it was a beta so I won't hold that against it. I did like that it told you exactly how much input lag there was in frames, more games need to do that. I also liked that you could play against the AI when the servers were having issues, that was a good touch. The graphics were seriously amazing though, the game is gorgeous. The music is whatever, generic buttrock. Not interesting to me but my friends who like DBZ said the music was about average for the series.

I haven't seen any of the dbz beta footage, but guilty gear shows frame latency during the game and you can set an internal frame latency to make it consistent if u want akin to ggpo. GG uses delay though, so that part could be better, but I get smooth connections from norway to france/england/germany which is where most of the people I play with are from. Does DBZ use rollback?

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1367 on: September 18, 2017, 09:13:32 PM »
DBZ is also delay netcode, I assume it's the same as GG. Most of the matches I had were pretty good, but there were a few stinkers. I guess that's bound to happen because no netcode is perfect, it was a beta, and I'm sure some people were on wifi. It used an interesting lobby system where you actually walk around and get matches in a little arena. My friend said it was the same as the GG lobby system but either way it was pretty cool.

Himu

« Reply #1368 on: September 18, 2017, 10:47:36 PM »
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1369 on: September 19, 2017, 12:46:25 AM »
First hour impression of MVCi: Wow it feels so cheap. Everything about it feels low rent. Music is generic, voice acting is dull, the graphics are really fucking ugly. Wow, like super ugly. Also feels kinda slow but the tag system is neat. So far the movesets feel kind of small on the characters I've tried. Dunno what it is, but I feel like I'm missing something. Overall it's not grabbing me and I already kinda just want to go back to playing Tekken or Yakuza. :lol

Will spend some more time with it tomorrow. Maybe the PC version will look better

Also funny, my wife came in while we were on character select and the first thing she said was "Why are there so little characters and what happened to Morrigan's face?" :rofl
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 12:54:21 AM by nachobro »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1370 on: September 19, 2017, 07:50:02 AM »
Oh yeah, I guess that shit is unlocked now on Steam.  Let me try it out.

I'm seeing that the game looks kind of bad and the presentation is awful compared to UMvC3, but the game play is still all there.  I dunno...I still hope DBZ crushes it.  Capcom needs a good kick in the balls to hopefully get their shit straight.  :doge
ど助平

thisismyusername

« Reply #1371 on: September 19, 2017, 07:52:40 AM »
Wow it feels so cheap. Everything about it feels low rent.

...Where have you been? Ever since the first trailer it's been apparent Capcom is broke as a joke. :lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1372 on: September 19, 2017, 07:52:52 AM »
Can't play it on Steam yet.  Still says unreleased.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1373 on: September 19, 2017, 08:08:32 AM »
Steam discussion is full of people raging about it.  Idiots stayed up late expecting it to have been available at midnight and some tried to play it all night. :rofl
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1374 on: September 19, 2017, 09:48:44 AM »
...Where have you been? Ever since the first trailer it's been apparent Capcom is broke as a joke. :lol
I've seen some trailers and gameplay exhibitions but I didn't expect even the menus and UI and even the music to feel like a mobile game

Also :lol

https://twitter.com/ranmasama/status/910069163334553601

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1375 on: September 19, 2017, 10:34:31 AM »
:rofl

I know someone who bought a PS4 for this game, lmao. 
ど助平

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #1376 on: September 19, 2017, 10:47:55 AM »
DBZ is also delay netcode, I assume it's the same as GG. Most of the matches I had were pretty good, but there were a few stinkers. I guess that's bound to happen because no netcode is perfect, it was a beta, and I'm sure some people were on wifi. It used an interesting lobby system where you actually walk around and get matches in a little arena. My friend said it was the same as the GG lobby system but either way it was pretty cool.

the GG lobby also has a fishing pond where u can use in-game currency to fish for unlocks like different announcer voices, clothes and emote animations for your lobby avatar, etc. Some of the earlier DLC characters could be unlocked by fishing too, but I don't think they do that any more. I'm not terribly familiar with DB but I hope their lobby has some fun stuff like that too, I think I've seen the replays are all accessed thru a godtube tv, thats the sort of cute stuff i want tbh.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1377 on: September 19, 2017, 11:01:08 AM »
:rofl

I know someone who bought a PS4 for this game, lmao.
:kobeyuck I picked it up for running tournaments. Couldn't imagine buying a PS4 for it, yeesh

thisismyusername

« Reply #1378 on: September 19, 2017, 11:18:50 AM »
Can't play it on Steam yet.  Still says unreleased.

FGC being dumb like usual. Steam updates at like 11AM PST. Capcom can't do shit about that.

the GG lobby also has a fishing pond where u can use in-game currency to fish for unlocks like different announcer voices, clothes and emote animations for your lobby avatar, etc. Some of the earlier DLC characters could be unlocked by fishing too, but I don't think they do that any more. I'm not terribly familiar with DB but I hope their lobby has some fun stuff like that too, I think I've seen the replays are all accessed thru a godtube tv, thats the sort of cute stuff i want tbh.

Lobbies weren't in on PC until like Revelator 2. :(

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1379 on: September 19, 2017, 11:23:44 AM »
FGC being dumb like usual. Steam updates at like 11AM PST. Capcom can't do shit about that.

fwiw, you could unlock SFV at like 9am the day before release with a VPN pointed to Aus/NZ. I think people expected that again for MVCi