Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild  (Read 99774 times)

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (March 3rd)
« Reply #300 on: February 24, 2017, 02:44:47 PM »
reprehensible
pcp

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #301 on: February 24, 2017, 02:48:15 PM »
Never had a 64 at the time so never played OOT when it was new. Played the 3DS version for a bit but the game was pretty boring. Never bothered with MM. Played TP on Gamecube and it was just okay. That intro was so goddamn long and boring it killed most of my interest early. Never played Skyward Sword so can't speak to that.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #302 on: February 24, 2017, 02:53:38 PM »
The Nintendo 64 and Gameboy Color were Nintendo's second and third worst consoles, easily.  (Number one goes to the Virtual Boy).  I went from being a big Nintendo fan to not really caring about anything they put out.  Liked them with the Game Cube and GBA again, then lost a lot interest with the Wii and DS.

:idont
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #304 on: February 24, 2017, 04:16:20 PM »
Wind Waker is the only good 3D Zelda. It is known.

The problem is it's not perfect. So, if those imperfections rub you the wrong way, it can be a bad experience.

Which is true of most of the 3D Zeldas. They can be the best games and the worst games. All for different reasons.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #305 on: February 24, 2017, 06:44:24 PM »
The Nintendo 64 and Gameboy Color were Nintendo's second and third worst consoles, easily.  (Number one goes to the Virtual Boy).  I went from being a big Nintendo fan to not really caring about anything they put out.  Liked them with the Game Cube and GBA again, then lost a lot interest with the Wii and DS.

:idont
Sorta the same. Lost interest around 64, came back with Cube and GBA. Though the DS brought me back full steam and I was mostly into Wii as a side console. Wii U was good to have as an addition to a PC and I figure Switch will be the same.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #306 on: February 24, 2017, 07:53:00 PM »
Wind Waker is the only good 3D Zelda. It is known.
Ok but...
Never bothered with MM.
:rollsafe

nachobro

• Live Más

Let's Cyber

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
« Reply #308 on: February 25, 2017, 01:25:28 AM »
 :shaqc

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #309 on: February 25, 2017, 08:16:54 AM »

:confused
There are far too many all-time classics on the 64 to be considered anywhere near "worst" my dude.

I WISH that were the case so collecting for this shit wouldn't be so expensive.
 :goldberg
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 08:31:06 AM by a slime appears »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #310 on: February 25, 2017, 10:22:31 AM »
So this is getting incredibly high praise.  I need this game now  :(
püp

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #311 on: February 25, 2017, 11:20:42 AM »
Now I am thinking about getting switch, since it runs better than on wii U :(

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #312 on: February 25, 2017, 01:25:26 PM »
Every Zelda game gets high praise.  Even the shitastic Skyward Sword.
🍆🍆

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #313 on: February 25, 2017, 01:27:41 PM »
We get it
püp

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #314 on: February 25, 2017, 02:42:40 PM »

:confused
There are far too many all-time classics on the 64 to be considered anywhere near "worst" my dude.

I WISH that were the case so collecting for this shit wouldn't be so expensive.
 :goldberg

I didn't like most early 3D Nintendo titles at all.  Back in 1996 I liked 2D games way more than 3D games and was not much for 3D platformers...so the N64 was not for me.  The first game that I spent a lot of time with was Goldeneye (multiplayer only) and that was about it for a long time.  I did love Conker though.

This reminds me that my boxed N64 and games are just sitting at my parents' house.  Time to get rid of it.
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #315 on: February 25, 2017, 03:16:29 PM »
fat weeb
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #316 on: February 25, 2017, 05:35:27 PM »
bork as a guy who spent the late 90s on message boards arguing that 2d gaming was superior fits perfectly
pcp

SantaC

« Reply #317 on: February 25, 2017, 05:55:59 PM »
tbh, has there ever been a zelda game that hasn't been praised? We know it is going to score 9s and 10s and the occasional 8 that puts neogaf in riotmode. Can't trust the review media after the shitty Skyward sword that sits on 93 @ metacritic.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #318 on: February 25, 2017, 05:58:06 PM »
Mainline Zelda games are ALWAYS praised, aren't always deserving.
Hi

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #319 on: February 25, 2017, 08:03:34 PM »
bork as a guy who spent the late 90s on message boards arguing that 2d gaming was superior fits perfectly

In the late 90s I was in high school and spent my time on newsgroups being overly positive about just about everything.   :lol

Two genres I think mostly sucked back then in 3D were fighting games (with a few exceptions) and platformers.  The latter mainly because I don't like collect-a-thon games.  I wasn't into Donkey Kong Country, either.  It was the first game from Nintendo that I wound up not wanting to play and selling off.

I loved polygon racers.  Those absolutely shat all over the sprite-based games.  Sega's arcade racers and Ridge Racer were mind-blowing back in the day.  :hyper

tbh, has there ever been a zelda game that hasn't been praised?

Hmm...Spirit Tracks?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 08:14:30 PM by Dosukebe »
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #320 on: February 25, 2017, 08:32:19 PM »
Mainline Zelda games are ALWAYS praised, aren't always deserving.
what an insight :doge

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #321 on: February 26, 2017, 02:24:51 AM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]

Behold! A paleblood moon
[close]

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #322 on: February 26, 2017, 05:40:10 AM »
Fuckin' wanna play this. :hyper I really should know better than to give in to Zeruda hype at this point. :-[
Hi

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #323 on: February 26, 2017, 07:29:15 AM »
tbh, has there ever been a zelda game that hasn't been praised? We know it is going to score 9s and 10s and the occasional 8 that puts neogaf in riotmode. Can't trust the review media after the shitty Skyward sword that sits on 93 @ metacritic.
can't trust the fake ne... fake reviews!  :doge :trumps

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #324 on: February 26, 2017, 06:25:04 PM »
I didn't like most early 3D Nintendo titles at all.  Back in 1996 I liked 2D games way more than 3D games and was not much for 3D platformers...so the N64 was not for me.  The first game that I spent a lot of time with was Goldeneye (multiplayer only) and that was about it for a long time.  I did love Conker though.

This reminds me that my boxed N64 and games are just sitting at my parents' house.  Time to get rid of it.

Yeah, all the 64 had for 2D fans was Mischief Makers :'(

OH HEY GETTING RID OF 64 GAMES? LET ME KNOW. :hyper

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #325 on: February 26, 2017, 07:00:23 PM »
Apparently I'll be getting this at launch because whatever magic spell Nintendo has cast on Japanese children managed to catch my son in its snare.  :doge

He asked me to move the seldom-used Wii out of the way so his Switch will have a place to rest. Little does he know, he'll be using the built-in screen to game.  :lol

Truth be told, I'm looking forward to seeing him play a Zelda game. I'll also see about getting older Zelda games after this, if he's into them.

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #326 on: February 26, 2017, 09:45:46 PM »
Truth be told, I'm looking forward to seeing him play a Zelda game. I'll also see about getting older Zelda games after this, if he's into them.

Ocarina of Time 3DS and Wind Waker HD are the best options you've got for older games. The remakes for those two are excellent.

El Babua

« Reply #327 on: February 26, 2017, 10:17:14 PM »
Tempted to buy a Switch for this.

Don't wanna go playing the inferior version of the game on a failed console that I also purchased.  :doge

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #328 on: February 27, 2017, 10:52:34 AM »
Have a week off between jobs to cat ass this shit.  :rejoice
zzzzz

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #329 on: February 27, 2017, 12:21:03 PM »

Ocarina of Time 3DS and Wind Waker HD are the best options you've got for older games. The remakes for those two are excellent.

I ordered Wind Waker HD yesterday.  Found a used gold-foil (or is it just a gold cover?) copy in great condition for $20.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 01:31:10 PM by Dosukebe »
ど助平

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #330 on: February 27, 2017, 01:19:12 PM »
WW HD is a great game.  Speeds up the end game considerably too.
püp

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #331 on: February 27, 2017, 02:29:10 PM »
http://www.vg247.com/2017/02/25/first-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-review-hits-and-its-a-10-from-edge-magazine/

Frame rate in the Wii U version can be a bit “uneven” at times, dropping into the teens; however, this only during “very busy sequences” such as heavy weather effects and “rarely when it matters.”

Good enough for me to justify not buying another Nintendo console.
zzzzz

Let's Cyber

« Reply #332 on: February 27, 2017, 03:14:34 PM »
Did they dump the fetch quest at the end?  That was my biggest problem with the game.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #333 on: February 27, 2017, 03:25:28 PM »
http://www.vg247.com/2017/02/25/first-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-review-hits-and-its-a-10-from-edge-magazine/

Frame rate in the Wii U version can be a bit “uneven” at times, dropping into the teens; however, this only during “very busy sequences” such as heavy weather effects and “rarely when it matters.”

Yeah, I'm not going to buy a switch until it has a critical mass of games I want, or the price drops. But I'm not going to wait that long to play this. My Wii U will be just fine.  That being said, I'm too deep in Doom right now to consider another game at the time. So it wont be day 1.
que

Let's Cyber

« Reply #334 on: February 27, 2017, 03:42:40 PM »
Leaks are out in full force.  A lot of the OST is up on Youtube and it is phenomenal. 

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #335 on: February 27, 2017, 03:54:44 PM »
Did they dump the fetch quest at the end?  That was my biggest problem with the game.

Sort of.

There are several things added to the game outside of the fetch quest that make traversal wayyyy less a pain in the ass, including immediate wind changing, a sail that makes it so the wind is always in the correct direction depending on your position, and the grappling hook plundering takes like 2 seconds instead of 10.  They also cut down on the needed charts to find the triforce pieces, and made it so you never have to go to Tingle.

What usually took me 2-4 hours in the original Wind Waker took me maybe an hour this time around.
püp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #336 on: February 27, 2017, 04:00:51 PM »
Game comes out Friday, idk why you would want to spoil yourself if youre interested in the game.
fat

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #337 on: February 27, 2017, 04:30:05 PM »

cemu should probably take care of that :teehee

Let's Cyber

« Reply #338 on: February 27, 2017, 04:32:20 PM »
Sort of.

There are several things added to the game outside of the fetch quest that make traversal wayyyy less a pain in the ass, including immediate wind changing, a sail that makes it so the wind is always in the correct direction depending on your position, and the grappling hook plundering takes like 2 seconds instead of 10.  They also cut down on the needed charts to find the triforce pieces, and made it so you never have to go to Tingle.

What usually took me 2-4 hours in the original Wind Waker took me maybe an hour this time around.
Ah, cool.  Thanks. The uber sail would be much appreciated. Hopefully they port it to the Switch, I'll try it out.

Quote from: demi
Game comes out Friday, idk why you would want to spoil yourself if youre interested in the game.
Personally, I've only seen some of the pics in this thread and heard some of the OST on youtube. I'm not actively seeking information at all beyond knowing that big spoilers have indeed leaked out, so I'd agree with you. 

bluemax

« Reply #339 on: February 27, 2017, 11:23:04 PM »
Game leaked, I watched 5 minutes of someone in the final dungeon and kinda wish I hadn't. Cut the stream off as soon as he started reading what I'm sure was important text.

Music was dope as fuck but the frame rate was trash.

cemu should probably take care of that :teehee

https://www.reddit.com/r/cemu/comments/5wi3pe/zelda_breath_of_the_wild_booting_in_cemu_kinda/deavv9x/?utm_content=permalink&utm_medium=front&utm_source=reddit&utm_name=cemu
NO

archie4208

« Reply #340 on: February 28, 2017, 08:52:24 AM »

:drool

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #341 on: February 28, 2017, 07:01:30 PM »
"Great Plateau" (beginning of the game?) to final boss in 12 minutes

The vid doesnt show the final boss.

fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #342 on: February 28, 2017, 07:15:27 PM »
you know that "omg this game is so short" thing doesn't really work when you're taking about an open world game where you skip 95% of the content
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #343 on: February 28, 2017, 07:21:38 PM »
? It's a speedrun
fat

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #344 on: March 01, 2017, 08:24:33 AM »
Getting my Zelda Master Edition on Friday! :hyper

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #345 on: March 01, 2017, 09:16:56 AM »
? It's a speedrun

oh I thought it was one of those things where people try to deflate hype by acting like the game is small and underwhelming
pcp

Lucretius

« Reply #346 on: March 01, 2017, 10:59:25 AM »
Apparently it runs worse when the Switch is docked?!

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-switch-the-kotaku-review-1792776350

:jeanluc
lip

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #347 on: March 01, 2017, 11:11:17 AM »
Apparently it runs worse when the Switch is docked?!

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-switch-the-kotaku-review-1792776350

:jeanluc

This makes sense though. Isn't the dock essentially just HDMI out? So you're rendering the game at a higher resolution without additional hardware support.
zzzzz

Fifstar

« Reply #348 on: March 01, 2017, 11:15:25 AM »
Nah, it's clocked higher in docked mode.
Gulp

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #349 on: March 01, 2017, 12:38:48 PM »
Stuff I've been reading and hearing about this game make it sound pretty cool and not just another Zelda game. Austin Walker described some aspects as "Portal or The Witness" like in how there are little contained environmental puzzles scattered around.

I'm not getting a Switch at launch but I may down the line would def be interested in playing this.
nat

Let's Cyber

« Reply #350 on: March 01, 2017, 12:56:14 PM »
Is the end of the embargo today or tomorrow?

benjipwns

« Reply #351 on: March 01, 2017, 01:05:44 PM »
This makes sense though. Isn't the dock essentially just HDMI out? So you're rendering the game at a higher resolution without additional hardware support.
Nah, it's clocked higher in docked mode.
I think only the GPU clocks up and it's an optional setting.

benjipwns

« Reply #352 on: March 01, 2017, 01:30:35 PM »
DF says it's 720p, but goes up to 900p when docked. They tied the FPS drops to too many alpha effects.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #353 on: March 01, 2017, 01:35:07 PM »
everyone who gets this tomorrow is a butthole and I hate you
pcp

SantaC

« Reply #354 on: March 01, 2017, 03:45:02 PM »
It's tempting to be able to go to the last boss at the start of the game. It saves you from all the useless padding.

Take My Breh Away

archie4208

« Reply #356 on: March 02, 2017, 01:07:53 PM »
Amazon still hasn't shipped my copy.  :fbm

Guess I'll swing by Gamestop tomorrow.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #357 on: March 02, 2017, 02:10:32 PM »

Are you a Prime member?  They often ship out pretty late for delivery on release day...
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #358 on: March 02, 2017, 04:55:27 PM »
PreOrdered a WiiU copy at gamestop near work... only to pick it up tomorrow. Lul
fat

archie4208

« Reply #359 on: March 02, 2017, 05:43:31 PM »

Are you a Prime member?  They often ship out pretty late for delivery on release day...

Yeah I am.

It's almost 6 PM and still nothing.  :fbm