Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild  (Read 99847 times)

team filler

• filler
  • filler
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
« Reply #540 on: March 13, 2017, 12:38:50 AM »
This game is hard

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #541 on: March 13, 2017, 01:27:30 AM »
Jim Sterling 7/10 review
Slant Magazine 6/10 review

bye bye metacritic!

Game really is overrated. There is barely any good music, just low-key ambient crap.

Sterling is a hack.
püp

archie4208

« Reply #542 on: March 13, 2017, 07:06:59 AM »
Feels like Sterling wanted to give the game a low score from the outset and focused on some nitpicky things (amiibo, blood moon) to justify it.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #543 on: March 13, 2017, 07:41:27 AM »
Jim Sterling 7/10 review

bye bye metacritic!

Game really is overrated. There is barely any good music, just low-key ambient crap.

Sterling is a hack.

lmao don't be that dude. people are allowed to dislike Zelda. There's a lot of specific things about this one that can be major issues for some.
nat

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #544 on: March 13, 2017, 10:59:58 AM »
Jim Sterling 7/10 review

bye bye metacritic!

Sterling is a hack.

lmao don't be that dude. people are allowed to dislike Zelda. There's a lot of specific things about this one that can be major issues for some.

People with shitty taste, I guess.
yar

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #545 on: March 13, 2017, 11:02:40 AM »
I will admit that I did miss the "linearity" and focused dungeons to solve.
fat

archie4208

« Reply #546 on: March 13, 2017, 11:08:33 AM »
The only dungeon I've done so far, the Gerudo divine beast, was unimpressive.  The boss was also uninteresting too.  I've heard the other dungeons and bosses are also underwhelming. 

Nintendo nailed the overworld, which is usually my least favorite part of Zelda, but my favorite part, dungeons, feels half baked.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #547 on: March 13, 2017, 11:11:28 AM »
I've done Gerudo and Zora and they were both pretty neat. They all seem to have the same *gimmick* that is modified for each and I like the idea of the dungeons as a concept.

I can imagine a version of this game with four fullsized Zelda style dungeons and less shrines because the shrines make up for all of the puzzle content I imagine you'd see in a past Zelda.

nat

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #548 on: March 13, 2017, 04:27:00 PM »
Jim Sterling 7/10 review

bye bye metacritic!

Sterling is a hack.

Nah, I'm sorry.  Sterling is an attention whore who GAF idolizes and I've never been a fan of him. 
püp

Bebpo

« Reply #549 on: March 13, 2017, 04:38:07 PM »
The only dungeon I've done so far, the Gerudo divine beast, was unimpressive.  The boss was also uninteresting too.  I've heard the other dungeons and bosses are also underwhelming. 

Nintendo nailed the overworld, which is usually my least favorite part of Zelda, but my favorite part, dungeons, feels half baked.

I thought the Zora dungeon was pretty cool and the boss fights were creative & fun.  And yeah the shrines are basically all the dungeon puzzles spread out, which works here.

I feel like the main negatives I have at this point are the guardians are dumb because like Demi said it's never worth fighting them (should've had far less HP), sometimes the game is too hardcore for its own good, a few of the side quests are that Zelda style tedious (most aren't though which is a huge improvement).  Motion controlled puzzles were really not necessary, the horse system total sucks and horses are near useless, weapon durability is a bit nuts (there should have been weapon crafting or reinforcement), etc...

Still would be like a 9.5 at this point as those are all small negatives in a massively positive game.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #550 on: March 13, 2017, 04:48:01 PM »

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:patel
[close]

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #551 on: March 13, 2017, 06:54:27 PM »
Really feel like Jim is just trolling for hits/attention here. :trumps
Hi

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #552 on: March 13, 2017, 09:51:07 PM »
Thats great. What incentive do they provide to kill them?
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #553 on: March 13, 2017, 10:03:48 PM »
Huh, interesting. Good thing you can just climb up every single wall in the game and skip the entire dungeon period

Still no incentive really : (
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #554 on: March 13, 2017, 10:39:47 PM »
Ah, yeah that made me google how to kill guardians and I see you can just parry their laser back.  Good to know, will test it out and get the timing down next time I play.  I tried the ancient arrow method but I couldn't hit the eye on the moving ones and it didn't do much damage just hitting the body.  Worst is when you're on a horse trying to swerve dodge the beams as you run past and you get hit and your horse sets on fire ><  Had that happen last night on one on the way to Gorgon Village (which I got to btw, so now have access to all the towns).

Speaking of towns, when I stumbled across the little seaside fishing village it seemed kinda of uneventful?  Like it seems the only village with no plot relevance?  Mostly just there to tell you about eveningtide island I guess?  I got out there the first time just raising ice blocks one after to another to cross the ocean.  I do wish the Zora gear let you swim infinitely without using stamina.  Maybe max level set bonus will do that?  I mean it really doesn't make sense that it doesn't...

Also I didn't notice the equipment status 2 bars thing until the other night.  So you don't need to buy 3 pieces of cold/heat/flame resistance gear, 2 gives full protection.  Would've been good to know earlier since I mainly just relied on food recipes wondering why my starting warm doublet wasn't giving me 100% cold protection when climbing snow mountains.

Also what's with the great fairies all just doing the same armor upgrade stuff?  So boring.  Each fairy should have a unique thing.  I was expecting the 2nd fairy to be weapon upgrade fairy, use materials to upgrade weapons in strength and durability, but nope.  Although I ran into some NPC who said one of the fairies can bring back dead/lost horses?  Since my first horse disappeared maybe I can get it back from that. 

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #555 on: March 13, 2017, 11:02:28 PM »
You can literally kill guardians with the first shitty shield you find. I've got my technique down now. Only ones I have problems with are the airborne ones, for some reason I can't fucking time the shield parry. But an ancient arrow takes care of them just fine.
yar

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #556 on: March 13, 2017, 11:40:46 PM »

He doesn't strike me like the type to do that (with a review, anyway).  I don't agree with his score, but he's right that the durability stuff is a negative point about the game and his review is still positive overall.  This just doesn't strike me as a 7/10 game in the slightest....but it's kind of amazing how a review will drive people insane enough to "retaliate" against it.   

This game shits all over all the other open-world games I've played.  It's so well made and refined.  It's really amazing how the game lets you approach things in different ways.

How does this stack up against The Witcher III and which do you guys like more?
ど助平

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #557 on: March 13, 2017, 11:53:51 PM »

He doesn't strike me like the type to do that (with a review, anyway).  I don't agree with his score, but he's right that the durability stuff is a negative point about the game and his review is still positive overall.  This just doesn't strike me as a 7/10 game in the slightest....but it's kind of amazing how a review will drive people insane enough to "retaliate" against it.   

This game shits all over all the other open-world games I've played.  It's so well made and refined.  It's really amazing how the game lets you approach things in different ways.

Zelda is good. Witcher III is great, probably genre and era defining great. As much as I'm enjoying Zelda, it doesn't compare at all.
yar

archie4208

« Reply #558 on: March 14, 2017, 12:01:16 AM »
Witcher has better storytelling
Zelda has better gameplay

Played 90 hours of TW3 and 30 hours (so far) of Zelda.  I probably prefer Zelda because I'm a gameplay mark.

Bebpo

« Reply #559 on: March 14, 2017, 03:37:53 AM »
OH MAN, GUARDIANS ARE NOW FUN TO FIGHT with that shield parry move.  Very, very good to know.  The second time I practiced on one a bat flew at me and I parried the laser only to have it hit the bat two feet from my face and explode me as well  :-\

But now I'm killing guardians and stacking up on ancient drops, good stuff.  Also now that I have the continent mapped out and access to everywhere, before I do the other 3 divine beast quests I'm just taking my time exploring the world now that I'm pretty powerful and badass.  Went to the first mini-boss in the game in the forest of the spirits, the rock dude and tried fighting him.  Really fun!  Also nice that he drops materials that are worth good money.  Then I went to the Old Coliseum Ruins to explore and fought the Lynel there.  Yeah, at this point with DEFx3 boost elixer and a good shield, dude can barely do a single heart damage.  Totally no problem normal fight.  What a difference some good armor, meals, weapons can make.  Afterwords I climbed the coliseum killing every enemy (it's filled with stronger and stronger mobs) hoping there'd be some reward and there was...nothing ;_; broke a few weapons doing so but I guess I feel accomplished. 

*edit* googled around and apparently in endgame that coliseum has a super boss and mobs with cool weapons so it's a good place to farm them.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 03:49:40 AM by Bebpo »

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #560 on: March 14, 2017, 08:55:56 AM »
This game is fucking phenomenal.

I do understand the complaints leveled at the game, but I chalk that up to impatience from someone who just hasn't put in the effort or applied their skills to get better at the game.

SantaC

« Reply #561 on: March 14, 2017, 09:13:22 AM »

Witcher 3 has:

Better graphics
Better music
Weapon durability isnt as bad
Better story
Worse combat
worse overworld
Dungeons are about the same

Games are about equal with tons of flaws.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #562 on: March 14, 2017, 10:04:17 AM »
Why do people compare this to Witcher 3?  ???

Why not compare it to Horizon? Or [open world game]?

Or not at all? I hate gamers
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #563 on: March 14, 2017, 11:00:38 AM »
They're all open-world action-RPGs.  Just wondering how the folks who loved Witcher see this game is all.
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #564 on: March 14, 2017, 11:19:42 AM »
I dont think its anything like Witcher 3 at all. At no point did I play this and go "Wow, witcher did that WAY better"

Get a job, stoner
fat

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #565 on: March 14, 2017, 04:24:45 PM »
Why do people compare this to Witcher 3?  ???

Awful framerate?

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #566 on: March 14, 2017, 07:24:24 PM »
Witcher 3 lets you deep-dick sluts at brothels, Zelda doesn't (afaik). It's hard to compare the two.
©@©™

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #567 on: March 14, 2017, 10:03:53 PM »
But how does it compare to Saint's Row?
WDW

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #568 on: March 14, 2017, 10:40:58 PM »
Critcal Path stuff I have left:

Goron Divine Beast
3 memories
[close]

Gonna try to finish before Mass Effect...
nat

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #569 on: March 14, 2017, 10:48:23 PM »
BOTW is a huge improvement over Dig Dug. Bests it in almost every possible way!. Does everything Angry Birds did, but with a new twist that makes everything like new again!  :miyamoto

Bebpo

« Reply #571 on: March 15, 2017, 12:37:35 AM »
Ok, that's pretty funny and self-aware.

El Babua

« Reply #572 on: March 15, 2017, 02:38:01 AM »
Yo, this game is really good.

Also runs smoothly in portable form.

Followup: This game is REALLY GOOD.

Just got to the Goron Divine Beast. Loved blowing shit up with the cannon in the mine while using updrafts to fly over the lava. Also using minecarts and shit.
[close]

Trent Dole

Hi

Bebpo

« Reply #574 on: March 15, 2017, 04:47:08 AM »
Did some more exploring, went to Gerudo by road from central since the first time I went was heading west from Eveningtide Island.  Ran into a Hinox and decided to fight it.  While I don't give a rats ass about framerate, the camera is really bad against giant enemies.  When you can't see the enemy's attacks, so you can't dodge them it's more than a bit annoying.  Especially when they do heavy damage.  Had the same issue with the Rock Monster mini-boss but at least that's slow and easy so just circled around it and climbed.  Was trying to dodge -> flurry strike Hinox's attacks and if you get too close you can't see shit.

Had a horse fall in a lake, thought it was dead but it was still magically able to teleport to the next stable.  Yay.  I have so many unique and interesting weapons at this point it sucks to get rid of them to make room for new ones.  Been expanding my weapon space as much as possible but there's just so many cool weapons out there.  I liked that by picking up a fire wand I can start fires whenever instead of wasting fire arrows.  Not sure the use for electric wand outside I guess bodies of water & electrocuting people?  Wonder if that works in the rain.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #575 on: March 15, 2017, 09:39:53 AM »
The Gerudo desert has some cool ass shit, my dudes.
nat

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #576 on: March 15, 2017, 10:23:38 AM »
I've just been doing a fuck ton of shrines the last few days.  I haven't even traveled west at all.  Just Dueling Peaks, Lanayru, Akkala, Eldin, and Woodlands.

Planning on getting dat special sword tonight.
püp

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #577 on: March 15, 2017, 11:42:54 AM »
WHERE THE HELL IS THAT LAST CHICKEN?!!
que

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #578 on: March 15, 2017, 11:58:23 AM »
WHERE THE HELL IS THAT LAST CHICKEN?!!

Check some of the roofs or the ledge overlooking the town near the shrine
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #579 on: March 15, 2017, 11:58:37 AM »
also it's completely not worth doing that quest
püp

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #580 on: March 15, 2017, 12:34:26 PM »

Don't you have to do that one and a couple other BS quests to unlock a shrine quest, tho?
yar

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #581 on: March 15, 2017, 01:12:18 PM »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #582 on: March 15, 2017, 02:33:13 PM »

Don't you have to do that one and a couple other BS quests to unlock a shrine quest, tho?

oh maybe you're right.  I did all the Kakariko quests so I'm not sure
püp

Bebpo

« Reply #583 on: March 15, 2017, 04:38:07 PM »
Yeah, I'm still missing one chicken even after visiting the village a dozen times throughout the game.  Figure it's somewhere outside of town slightly.  I already got the one that's up the mountain path to the shrine.  And of course got the roof ones.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #584 on: March 15, 2017, 04:40:04 PM »
I swear I've been on every roof and I've only found one chicken (it was on top of a stall or something). Is there more than one roof chicken?
que

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #585 on: March 15, 2017, 05:10:31 PM »
I swear I've been on every roof and I've only found one chicken (it was on top of a stall or something). Is there more than one roof chicken?

so there's one on a stall up near the entrance of the town, and then there should be another on I believe the armor shop's roof, or around that one

also cucco's seem to roam so if they aren't on the roof, check around the building
püp

Trent Dole

« Reply #586 on: March 15, 2017, 05:52:28 PM »
Current world record for the game is 53:13 :doge
[close]
Hi

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
fat

Trent Dole

« Reply #588 on: March 15, 2017, 10:41:25 PM »
Ha already beaten! Sub 50 is going to happen in time and maybe even 45.
Hi

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #589 on: March 15, 2017, 11:42:09 PM »
playing this on a pro controller is so much better. i didn't realize how scrunched up my hands were on the switch pad thing until i got this thing

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #590 on: March 17, 2017, 07:45:10 PM »
Had to climb a tower, it was obvious they wanted me to solve some puzzle by using the metal crates. I was like "Fuck it" did stasis on one of the cubes hit it a bunch of times, climbed on top. Yada, yada, yada, wow I'm on top of the tower.

Best Zelda ever.
que

Rahxephon91

« Reply #591 on: March 17, 2017, 08:35:56 PM »
I've played more and it's grown on me, but I think it has some tedious things that both make the game good and not bad, but possibly annoying.

Like I was climbing the mountain to get to those double shrines. It was amazing starting from the bottom and actually thinking and executing how to get it up there. That one little moment felt like a huge adventure and what I liked about Xenoblade's exploration. Though sometimes it would be nice to simply just get to somewhere super quickly.

While weapon breaking may not be a big issue and does make you use more weapons, it is annoying when you really like using a simple sword. Though it has made me be creative using the bombs which is great fun and satisfying. Still. it also has made me simply avoid a lot of encounters because you gain so little.

I don't know, I've had fun just running around the world. It does feel like a free form adventure unlike a lot of games. Still, I'm happy I picked up the guide just ad a little bit of handholding.

Bebpo

« Reply #592 on: March 18, 2017, 05:10:20 AM »
Did the Gerudo dungeon, shit was confusing.  Solid dungeon but felt kinda small and just focused on one room.  Boss fight was ok.  Definitely liked the Zora dungeon and boss fights a lot better.  Yiga Clan was eh, least favorite section of the game so far.  Zelda loves having forced 1 mistake -> start over stealth sections for some reason.  That stuff feels really dated, especially when the main exploration of the game is fresh.  Gonna check out the rest of the desert next time and see what's out there before moving on to the remaining two dungeons. 

Trent Dole

« Reply #593 on: March 18, 2017, 05:53:07 AM »

link pls :lol
Hi

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #594 on: March 18, 2017, 09:01:11 AM »
My son finished this today, and I can now confirm that changing the Japanese Switch's language settings to English and booting the Japanese version of BotW will let me play in English.
:rejoice

I played about 45 minutes or so, finished the first dungeon and then went to some area where I nearly froze to death. The initial wake-up sequence for Link looked kinda gunky, so I can understand people microcosming that impression onto other things, but the simplified shapes and pastel colors of the broad landscapes seem both breathtaking and allowing for the player's imagination to have some play room as well.

Bebpo

« Reply #595 on: March 18, 2017, 09:31:26 PM »
After the initial wow's worn off after 30-50 hours, a lot of the little annoyances start adding up, especially when you want to do all the secret stuff.  Just player usability things that make parts tedious and pain in the ass.  Just about burnt out going for 100% on this, will just finish up the remaining shrines and dungeons and clear it.  Still a lot of fun when adventuring and 95% of shrines are excellent puzzles, but game definitely has its flaws.  Feels about a 9/10 for me now.

Basically when I'm just exploring and doing shrines the game is amazing because it's a real adventure and the physics/realisms/world is super great to explore in a free form open way.  But when I actually want to do very specific things (such as for quests or secrets) half the time it's a pain in the ass because the openness of the engine doesn't always work great for specifics.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 11:31:31 PM by Bebpo »

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #596 on: March 19, 2017, 09:16:13 AM »
Yeah I'm not really following. What things are getting in the way exactly? I'm in the same phase as you basically and I don't see that at all.
nat

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #597 on: March 19, 2017, 09:52:13 AM »
Yeah I'm not really following. What things are getting in the way exactly? I'm in the same phase as you basically and I don't see that at all.

Forget it, Fistful. It's Bebpotown.
yar

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #598 on: March 19, 2017, 12:09:53 PM »
You are getting burnt out because you are probably playing it non-stop lol. I was feeling the same, I played nothing but Zelda.
fat

archie4208

« Reply #599 on: March 19, 2017, 12:13:26 PM »
Hyrule Castle's framerate.  :yuck