Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild  (Read 99836 times)

Bebpo

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
« Reply #600 on: March 19, 2017, 05:40:29 PM »
Yeah I'm not really following. What things are getting in the way exactly? I'm in the same phase as you basically and I don't see that at all.

Forget it, Fistful. It's Bebpotown.

Sure, but as there are legions of Zelda fans overrating every aspect of it, I think some negativity balances it out a bit.  I'm not even negative on the game.  It's fantastic and still probably my favorite Zelda game.  OoT might be better by the time BoTW ends, I'll see.  Right now my 2017 GoTY is either Zelda or Nier but I gotta finish both to see.

Because of the way the game is designed, many of the negatives have to do with RNG or bad luck and so it's the kind of game where someone might go through with everything always working out perfect and having a wonderful experience from start to finish, whereas other people may have some shit times.  But there are things the game could have done to control the RNG a little better.

Things that I've had happen in my last couple of play sessions:

-Had to wait for a Blood Moon for a quest at a specific spot.  No big deal right?  Just throw some logs out, hit it with a fire sword, wait until night, repeat.  Well with my RNG, spent 40 mins going through 3 weeks game time, no blood moon.  Also because when you camp until "night" it's 9pm and just as the sun is setting, you have to wait a couple of mins each time just to see if it's going to be a blood moon night.  And then when it rains half the time and puts your campfire out you have to move to a spot under something or warp somehere (loading) and warp back (loading).  I read online and basically the solution for the game is to next time you hit a blood moon while playing normally, to reload your last save and warp to the nearest shrine and get to the point.

Any solution that requires save/reload tactics is a bust imo.  One thing that would've helped the RNG in that situation is more time periods to choose from when sleeping at a campfire.  I wish I could have chosen 10pm instead of 9pm so I could immediately see if there's a blood moon before sleeping again.  Also some sort of formula for blood moon spawns wouldn't hurt.

-Spent an hour yesterday trying to get a:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Farosh Horn to upgrade my Champion Tunic to 2 stars.  Game was bugged as fuck.  I'd camp, wait for it to spawn, get near, fly at it, shoot the tip of the horn which would glow and fall...and the game kept giving me a fucking scale.  Watched all the videos on youtube to make sure I was doing it right and I was.  Did this maybe 10 times over an hour and half the time the glowing drop would land on the bridge, I'd get knocked into the water by the electric orbs that would chase me no matter how fast I dropped and parachuted away after and then it'd be raining so it'd be a pain to climb back up to the bridge just to check it out to find out it's a scale. 

This could've been handled better if
1) My game wasn't fucking glitching for an hour giving me the wrong drop
2) Saving/Reloading actually worked with Dragons (it doesn't because if you load a save right before you jump at the dragon or anytime after the dragon has spawned the dragon is not there and doesn't spawn, so the best you can do is save right before it spawns and then wait for the 3-4-5 mins until it gets close enough, take a shot, go get the drop, reload and repeat). 

Eventually I got the 2 horns, but this experience has killed any desire to do the other dragons now because it was such a pain in the ass.
[close]

-The rain is a piece of shit and can go fuck itself constantly in the corner.  Over a long enough time span of playing, the rain has fucked me over so many times I've lost count.  Either making it so I can't climb right when I need to climb, or putting out campfires or torches when I need them for quests.  Outside of the desert/snow/fire it rains ALL OF THE FUCKING TIME.  Like it feels that easily more than 50% of the day it's raining.  I had one time where I was standing twiddling my thumbs posting on internet forums hoping the rain would stop so I didn't need to go somewhere else and sleep time passing just to advance and the rain stopped and I went to start climbing and IT STARTED RAINING AGAIN LESS THAN 30 SECONDS LATER.  At that point I said fuck it and warped and slept it off.  The RNG on the rain could have helped by either toning the frequency of the rain down a lot, or after you beat the Zora area (which requires rain), you should get a reward of CLIMBING GLOVES which makes the rain not effect climbing.

-Sandstorm can be a little annoying, but the frequency is much less than rain so I'm ok with it.  The downside is you can't warp so if you're just popping in somewhere to grab something and warp out RNG can fuck you there.

-Horses; been there; done that.  We all know the score.  I'm lucky if I stick with a horse for more than 5 mins before I need to ditch it to go somewhere.

-Camera definitely has issues the more I play.  It's fine for big open environments which is most of the game, but sometimes it's kinda shit.  As I mentioned before big enemies where you can't see their attacks suck, also has trouble with fast enemies like Gerudo boss, but in small areas sometimes the camera does not get where it needs to be to see where you're going.  Especially when carrying objects.

-UI & controls; personal preference, but a lot of people have issues with it as well.  Using items, throwing items, etc... is cumbersome.  Also throwing inventory items sucks as I learned throwing bananas.  The aiming controls are awful.  Other control things are when you're swimming and dashing (aka the only way to swim) and you're locked in directions and can't move unless you stop and turn.  Feels 1990.  Also when locked on, about 1/3rd of the time I press back & jump to do a backflip he does a side hop and I get hit :|  Horse controls pretty bad too but that's more on the horse.

-Did a shrine that is the only shrine so far that's had one bs puzzle you would need to make a mistake to figure out the solution, take a very wild guess, or faq it.  The rest of the puzzles are fantastic but was stumped on this one and though the solution was kinda bs.  Tiny, tiny nitpick since the shrines are super good.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Throwing the ice cube through the fire and it doesn't melt
[close]

-Also this might change as I finish it, but I feel how helpless and useless they've made Zelda is kinda weird considering this was the Zelda people were asking for a female link to make the game more equal in sex.  It's like they went the complete opposite and every flashback seen is Zelda being useless and praising Link for being amazing. 

Anyhow, there's other stuff but most are minor "fuck you game" moments that I don't remember and are completely outshadowed by how incredible the world design is with secrets absolutely everywhere, tons of shrines filled with some of the best puzzles in zelda, and pretty good dungeons/boss fights.  But sometimes you get bad luck/RNG or bugs/glitches and the game can be annoying.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #601 on: March 19, 2017, 09:17:34 PM »
wtf
püp

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #602 on: March 19, 2017, 09:37:15 PM »
I am not reading all of that.
yar

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #603 on: March 19, 2017, 09:57:39 PM »
Hi

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #604 on: March 20, 2017, 01:17:53 AM »
game is still incredible.  It's the best game Nintendo has made since Mario Galaxy, and I'd say it surpasses it.  Best Zelda game ever as well
püp

Bebpo

« Reply #605 on: March 20, 2017, 04:18:28 AM »
Did Rito.  That was...really easy?  Like even the dungeon was breeze and really quick compared to Zora/Gerudo.  And the Boss was easy mode as well.  Didn't even figure out the strategy, just ran around shooting it in the face with arrows and won.  Seems like the Rito area was designed to be the first training area or something.  The ability is super useful too, would've been good as the first ability.

Since Rito story didn't use the north west snow mountain landscape at all, spent the rest of the night exploring that.  Fun stuff, found a bunch of shrines.  Kept going along the mountains and found the Ruins north of hyrule forest that's pitch dark.  Fun shrine quest. 

game is still incredible.  It's the best game Nintendo has made since Mario Galaxy, and I'd say it surpasses it.  Best Zelda game ever as well

Yeah, I agree 100%.  Best Nintendo game since Galaxy which was the best Nintendo game since Pikmin.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #606 on: March 20, 2017, 04:43:28 AM »
I'm playing on Weeoo

This is bad ass game, my only complaints are climbing and swimming are pretty shit so far, also I'm okay with mixing it up with the breakable weapons but come the fuck on it can get pretty ridiculous how fast these things bust

Aside from that, this game totally tickles my boyholes~

archie4208

« Reply #607 on: March 20, 2017, 06:43:50 AM »
Climbing is the best part of the game.  It's probably Nintendo's biggest contribution to open world games.  To be fair, you need a second full stamina bar to make it really enjoyable.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #608 on: March 20, 2017, 12:39:15 PM »
Climbing is great 80-90 percent of the time, but I will say it IS annoying while raining, and I think it takes too much stamina to climb.  BUT, I still like it.

Is there any gear that still lets you climb as its raining?
püp

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #609 on: March 20, 2017, 12:49:54 PM »
I fucking love climbing. It opens up so many avenues. It was something that was made really apparent when I was watching my girlfriend play Horizon. Horizon seems like a cool game but there were time she was awkwardly trying to jump up the terrain and trying to figure out where the game would let her go.

In Zelda there isn't anywhere you can't go. It's makes the world feel so wide open and free. It adds to the sense of exploration and wonder that it's going for.
nat

Sho Nuff

« Reply #610 on: March 20, 2017, 01:47:11 PM »
Climbing is the best part of the game.  It's probably Nintendo's biggest contribution to open world games.  To be fair, you need a second full stamina bar to make it really enjoyable.

Ding ding ding, this is probably it -- I've only got one extra quarter so far

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #611 on: March 20, 2017, 01:54:15 PM »
Also equip "quick climb" gear (stackable with more gear afaik).

I dont think you need a full second bar to climb enjoyably. Just look for flat-ish surfaces you can rest on and avoid completely vertical walls.

Climbing slowly is less energy consuming than pressing the jump button as well.

You could also eat energy restoring food while climbing? Never did this though
fat

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #612 on: March 20, 2017, 01:55:22 PM »
My old dad gamer age is showing. I know you can do the divine beasts in any order but I did the Gerudo one first. Is that right? It took forever for me to figure out that "no, you're not being dumb you actually do have to run up this platform before it becomes vertical." Now I'm at the boss and I'm just not feeling equipped for it. I know I just need to git gud, but am I doing things out of order or something?
que

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #613 on: March 20, 2017, 02:03:48 PM »
My old dad gamer age is showing. I know you can do the divine beasts in any order but I did the Gerudo one first. Is that right? It took forever for me to figure out that "no, you're not being dumb you actually do have to run up this platform before it becomes vertical." Now I'm at the boss and I'm just not feeling equipped for it. I know I just need to git gud, but am I doing things out of order or something?

My Divine Beast order was:

Zora
Gerudo
Rito
Goron

Zora was first for me because the first quest pushed me in that direction.

nat

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #614 on: March 20, 2017, 02:10:17 PM »
The Gerudo one definitely isn't the one that I think the game stears you to first, but like people have said, it's all up to you.

So far I've only done the Zora and Goron ones.  I still haven't even ventured west.  I've been finding all the shrines I can and doing the Terry Town quest.
püp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #615 on: March 20, 2017, 02:24:02 PM »
You can do any order you want. But if you follow the "main" quests they give you, youll probably wind up at Zora first.
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #616 on: March 20, 2017, 03:04:48 PM »
I'd do Rito first.  It's the easiest, quickest and gives you the best traversal ability to use for the rest of the game.  Zora's ability though is pretty helpful too to prevent game overs when shit happens that you're not expecting.

Also equip "quick climb" gear (stackable with more gear afaik).

I dont think you need a full second bar to climb enjoyably. Just look for flat-ish surfaces you can rest on and avoid completely vertical walls.

Climbing slowly is less energy consuming than pressing the jump button as well.

You could also eat energy restoring food while climbing? Never did this though

Yeah, I kind of hate the whole climbing slowly uses way less energy thing.  Never seen anything like that before in a game.  Basically means 3/4ths of the time I need to climb slowly and can't just jump jump jump up.  But that's why I really like the Rito ability now that I've got it.  Climbing those snow mountains in the upper left were a breeze post-Rito.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #617 on: March 20, 2017, 03:08:37 PM »
I'm gonna have to do that Rito quest it sounds like.  I spent most of my orbs on stamina upgrades
püp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #618 on: March 20, 2017, 03:09:30 PM »
I barely used the Rito power. I don't think its that useful.

The most useful power is Gerudo ability. It's literally OP.

Useful tier:

God Tier literally breaks the game tier: Gerudo
Saving you from the crappy battle system tier: Zora
I guess this is a thing tier: Rito
Why is this in the game tier: Goron
fat

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #619 on: March 20, 2017, 03:10:30 PM »
I like the Goron and Zora ones a lot.  Definitely rewards my "fuck it, going in" attitude with combat
püp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #620 on: March 20, 2017, 03:48:44 PM »

The Gerudo boss doesn't require any unique items besides Magnesis. If you feel unequipped you are free to leave and get better gear. Bomb Arrows are distinguished mentally-challenged OP, but also really expensive.
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #621 on: March 20, 2017, 04:08:40 PM »
Gerudo is great for taking out mini-bosses (probably bosses too, haven't used it on any).  I took out a Hinox in 2 hits with a 50 damage sword + Gerudo.  Probably good for enemy camps too.  That being said, since I avoid 95% of the combat in the game and never do the enemy camps, Rito's ability is much more useful for me since I focus on exploring & shrines for the majority of my playtime.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #622 on: March 21, 2017, 08:43:14 PM »
I fucking love climbing. It opens up so many avenues. It was something that was made really apparent when I was watching my girlfriend play Horizon. Horizon seems like a cool game but there were time she was awkwardly trying to jump up the terrain and trying to figure out where the game would let her go.

In Zelda there isn't anywhere you can't go. It's makes the world feel so wide open and free. It adds to the sense of exploration and wonder that it's going for.

Regarding that openness and player freedom:

I liked this video. I found it here:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/294161/How_Breath_of_the_Wild_solved_The_Legend_of_Zeldas_situational_item_problem.php

BobFromPikeCreek

zzzzz

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #624 on: March 22, 2017, 01:25:31 PM »
damn
püp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #625 on: March 22, 2017, 01:43:17 PM »
I saw TriHex do the same thing a while ago.
fat

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #626 on: March 22, 2017, 03:05:02 PM »
So I retried the Gerudo boss. I must have been tired or something because I beat him rather easily this time.
...now for that sandsnake....not as easy.
que

bluemax

« Reply #627 on: March 22, 2017, 11:52:42 PM »
So I retried the Gerudo boss. I must have been tired or something because I beat him rather easily this time.

Molduga? Just stand on a rock and throw bombs into the sand. Then when he eats the bomb, detonate it. Easy.
NO

Bebpo

« Reply #628 on: March 23, 2017, 02:06:26 AM »
Did the Goron Quest, and my 4th dungeon, Master Sword quest (kinda annoying), and finished the memories. 

I liked the dungeons but for all the creative design in the game I'm kinda disappointed how the unique mechanic for 3 of the 4 dungeons is the exact same "rotate the dungeon" mechanic.  I liked how Zora's was setup to use the animal design for puzzles, and I would have been fine with 1 other one doing the rotation thing, but the bird/lizard are basically the same thing.  Eh, still good dungeons and a lot of fun.

Will explore some more and do the last stuff around the map and then head to Hyrule Castle.  When I went there for the last memory it seemed like a pain in the ass dungeon with all the fucking laser laser laser non-stop. 

Sho Nuff

« Reply #629 on: March 23, 2017, 04:07:20 AM »
Frame rate on Weeoo is getting to be a real shitshow, it's real bad during boss fights. Guess I should have manned up and bought a Zelda tablet after all

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #630 on: March 23, 2017, 02:09:44 PM »
Frame rate on Weeoo is getting to be a real shitshow, it's real bad during boss fights. Guess I should have manned up and bought a Zelda tablet after all

Yeah, really bad in towns for me too. :-/
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #631 on: March 23, 2017, 02:16:51 PM »
I've been slack- gotta a lot of other shit going on in my life, so I've been taking my time on this. I finally filled in the map today, have only beaten the Zora dungeon, and haven't gotten the Master Sword yet. Probably gonna cat ass it this weekend and see how much I can get done.

Still, though- just wandering around and seeing what you can do is the most fun I've had in an open world game.
yar

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #632 on: March 23, 2017, 08:24:24 PM »

Molduga? Just stand on a rock and throw bombs into the sand. Then when he eats the bomb, detonate it. Easy.
LOL, here I was trying to shoot it in the mouth with bomb arrows.
que

Bebpo

« Reply #633 on: March 23, 2017, 09:10:30 PM »
Hmmmmm, he wouldn't come out and eat any of my bombs.  I beat him leading him to the red explosive barrels.

bluemax

« Reply #634 on: March 24, 2017, 01:44:18 AM »
Weird, I just stood on a rock and once he submerged I'd throw a bomb and he'd react to it, swim under it and then swallow it.
NO

Bebpo

« Reply #635 on: March 24, 2017, 03:10:58 AM »
Yeah he'd tunnel under my bombs and go right past them.  I'd signal him with an arrow shot near a red barrel and he'd tunnel into it and explode.

Btw anyone know after beating the game can you still go around doing stuff?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 12:54:02 PM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #636 on: March 24, 2017, 05:00:27 AM »
Around 50 hours now and feel like I'm pretty much where I wanna be in completion ~75-ish shrines, maybe 1/3rd the sidequests done, although I still gotta try out the labyrinths and dunno if I'll bother with any of the major tests of strength shrines.  Probably gonna spend some time cooking next time and then take a run at Hyrule Castle.

Had a weird glitch where I finally got a blood moon so I loaded my save game from maybe 5 hours prior in-game clock (so like 10 mins earlier), and went to the shrine quest where you need a blood moon and waited...and didn't get a blood moon :|  Yeah I'm pretty much over that shrine quest.

Anyone else feel like some of the towns are kinda pointless?  Zora's domain is perfect size and used, Goron Village same, Karakiro village is a nice size and lots of quests, Gerudo is a little big but it's more spread out, Rito Village is good.  But like Hateno is fucking huge town, all these houses you can go in and just like a big wrpg size city, yet there's almost nothing to do outside a few quests.  Just feels weirdly empty for the size.  And the Lurino or whatever it's called in the south is like a hidden bonus town that you can totally miss/skip and has pretty much nothing outside a couple quests.  Those two towns feels kinda underused. 

Anyhow, outside some issues I have with it, BoTW's been a real nice game.  Looking forward to the end fights/ending, hoping the final dungeon is good.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 05:11:02 AM by Bebpo »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #637 on: March 24, 2017, 07:14:31 AM »
You're way ahead of me.  I'm taking my time with this game.  Just beat the first dungeon the other day and have been exploring Akkala recently.

I avoid 95% of the combat in the game and never do the enemy camps

???
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #638 on: March 24, 2017, 09:00:58 AM »
hoping the final dungeon is good.

what final dungeon? you can literally just climb the walls to the final room. lol
fat

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #639 on: March 24, 2017, 09:16:33 AM »
I poked around in Hyrule Castle and it's pretty fun to explore around. There's a bunch of cool little things to find. Tons of weapons and shields too.
nat

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #640 on: March 24, 2017, 10:22:12 AM »
Hylian shield in the dungeon :lawd
püp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #641 on: March 24, 2017, 10:50:04 AM »
I poked around in Hyrule Castle and it's pretty fun to explore around. There's a bunch of cool little things to find. Tons of weapons and shields too.

None of which gets used in the final battle LOL

Seriously all you people hoarding gear for the final fight are going to be very disappointed
fat

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #642 on: March 24, 2017, 11:01:22 AM »
I'm not hoarding gear for the final fight.  I'm hoarding gear just to hoard gear.  :-\

This game makes me weak
püp

Bebpo

« Reply #643 on: March 24, 2017, 12:20:04 PM »
Bork, there's almost no incentive to fight enemies.  The combat's pretty simple arpg, monster drops are so numerous you'll have million parts no matter what, and all fighting enemies on the map does is wear down your weapons.  Yeah you can get the treasures at camps, but they're nothing special.  And there's no xp, and monsters don't drop rupees, so yeah not much point in stopping and fighting monsters when you can just run past them all.

None of which gets used in the final battle LOL

Seriously all you people hoarding gear for the final fight are going to be very disappointed

But all those Korok seeds!

I guess I'll blow my large collection of 50+ damage weapons on these major tests of strength shrines.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #644 on: March 24, 2017, 12:41:21 PM »
I managed to get enough Mon to buy the full Dark Link set. It's pretty badass

I really need to go through the process of upgrading my armor sets. I have pretty low armor rating and I still get killed quick even with a lot of hearts.
nat

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #645 on: March 24, 2017, 12:42:43 PM »
I guess I'll blow my large collection of 50+ damage weapons on these major tests of strength shrines.

Cook an attack-up meal with 5 mighty banana's. It'll give you enough of a boost to be able to kill even the major tests with a single weapon.
nat

Bebpo

« Reply #646 on: March 24, 2017, 12:52:14 PM »
I managed to get enough Mon to buy the full Dark Link set. It's pretty badass

I really need to go through the process of upgrading my armor sets. I have pretty low armor rating and I still get killed quick even with a lot of hearts.

Yeah, I haven't gone out of my way to grind for armor parts outside the champion tunic.  Everything else is just one or two star. 

I actually run like a 12 armor total stealth suit most of the time because being always quiet helps avoid stuff.  I also think it looks cool.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #647 on: March 24, 2017, 01:29:38 PM »
So I'm at the part where I have to steal the arrows from the Lynel. I gotta say that when Zelda tries stealth it never works. I don't know why they keep on trying it. It's never been enjoyable to me.
que

Bebpo

« Reply #648 on: March 24, 2017, 01:36:02 PM »
At least that's open sandbox stealth.  Good luck when you get to Yiga.

Although the Death Mountain stealth section is fun since it's not really stealth at all and just puzzles.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #649 on: March 24, 2017, 02:08:00 PM »
Yiga gave you trouble? LUL
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #650 on: March 24, 2017, 02:48:13 PM »
So I'm at the part where I have to steal the arrows from the Lynel. I gotta say that when Zelda tries stealth it never works. I don't know why they keep on trying it. It's never been enjoyable to me.

That part was pretty easy.  You don't need to stay close to the lynel or anything...there's arrows all over the area.  I got 20 pretty quickly.
ど助平

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #651 on: March 24, 2017, 02:59:55 PM »

Although the Death Mountain stealth section is fun since it's not really stealth at all and just puzzles.
Yiga? You mean that theif clan? LOL, I don't know if that counted as stealth really.
que

Bebpo

« Reply #652 on: March 24, 2017, 03:23:53 PM »
Yiga gave you trouble? LUL

Nah, it's pretty easy with the bananas.  But spotted once -> start from the beginning and redo the entire thing mechanics are fucking terrible in 2017.  Especially in a sandbox "freedom" game.

Yiga? You mean that theif clan? LOL, I don't know if that counted as stealth really.

Not sure if we're thinking of the same thing.  You've done Gerudo?  The Yiga Clan base is way more stealth than Lynel arrow collecting.  It's narrow stealth passageaways where you have to wait for enemy patrols and sneak by.  Lynel you just stay away and grab arrows no sweat.

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
« Reply #653 on: March 24, 2017, 03:41:38 PM »
Any I doing stealth wrong in this game or something? Like I take a stealth potion or food and I crouch and hide in grass and go really slowly, but still I always get spotted by whatever the hell it is I'm  trying to sneak up on.

That said, I've sunk about 20 hours into it and only just got to Impa the other day, so I'm probably doing a lot of things wrong still.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #654 on: March 24, 2017, 04:25:40 PM »
I dont think theres anything you can do "wrong"

The game is meant for you to just do whatever the fuck you want, while giving you main quests to tell you what your end goal is. Even then all of that is optional, as speedrunners show.
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #655 on: March 24, 2017, 04:52:34 PM »
Any I doing stealth wrong in this game or something? Like I take a stealth potion or food and I crouch and hide in grass and go really slowly, but still I always get spotted by whatever the hell it is I'm  trying to sneak up on.

That said, I've sunk about 20 hours into it and only just got to Impa the other day, so I'm probably doing a lot of things wrong still.

Stealth is pretty sucky.  Basically there are multiple degrees of "silence" because realism.  So if you really want to be super silent you need to crouch and sneak slowly or with a stealth potion/stealth gear.  Even with stealth gear/potion if you move standing at normal speed you'll get heard.  In some ways BoTW is more hardcore stealth than actual stealth games like Hitman (where no one hears you as long as you're crouch moving) or Splinter Cell/MGS. 

Not really much point in stealth though.  Only usefulness is getting close enough to ride horses/animals and for the occasional sneakstrike on an enemy which is basically a 1-hit kill with a decent weapon.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #656 on: March 25, 2017, 02:19:31 AM »
Yeah he'd tunnel under my bombs and go right past them.  I'd signal him with an arrow shot near a red barrel and he'd tunnel into it and explode.

Btw anyone know after beating the game

My son finished it. It rolls credits, then drops you at the start menu. If you load again, it is prior to the final fight.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #657 on: March 25, 2017, 02:44:42 AM »
Can I play this on my PC yet? :hyper
Hi

Rahxephon91

« Reply #658 on: March 25, 2017, 06:16:37 PM »
You're way ahead of me.  I'm taking my time with this game.  Just beat the first dungeon the other day and have been exploring Akkala recently.

???

JRPG gamers.... :snoop
What does that mean. I love good combat in an JRPG and love doing as many battles as possible. It's just unlike those JRPGs, here there's not really a reward for fighting and activliey hurts you.

Not all the time at least. I find myself attacking camps so I can either wait or cook stuff. And besides most over world enemies are easy to ignore.

Bebpo

« Reply #659 on: March 25, 2017, 09:35:49 PM »

Did the Labyrinths, kinda fun and the major tests of strength, and then went ahead and finished the game.  The end is surprisingly brief.  Reminds me of MGS4 Act 5 where it's more of a short tough challenge to get to the final boss.  Final boss fight was solid, glad I learned about that laser deflection midway through.  Ending was fairly uneventful, but Zelda's never really been known for the story outside maybe Wind Waker.  Game was definitely about the journey, exploring the huge world and having fun.  Went back and explored out Hyrule Castle afterwards and it's cool.  Some good loot in there.

The puzzles in this were some of the best in series, really liked how the shrines were done and the open world gameplay was a blast.  Dungeons were good.  Graphics/music very nice.  Amount of secrets and their implementation was amazing.  Combat was ok, not many enemy types and in the end everything (even Lynel) fights was pretty simple dodge left/right or back and counter (although all of the real boss fights were good).  Once you get the Gerudo ability, you can just instantly wreck any camp.  Controls were ok, usually good but occasionally not as tight as say Nier Automata/Platinum. 

I was kinda surprised in the end how short the game is.  Not that it's short.  It took me 50+ hours and I still have a bunch of shrines and sidequests left, so doing everything outside the 900 korok seeds (lolz) is probably about a 80 hour adventure, which is a great solid length.  I'm more surprised because in the first 10 hours or so the world seemed so incredibly huge that it seemed like it'd be a several hundred hour Skyrim-esque type game.  And the world is pretty damn big, but fast travel is helpful.  I think the length is perfect.

What the game could've used is another dungeon or two.  Rito's questline is ridiculously short and Faron Highlands/Woods area of the south + Lurien village is a huge area that's criminally underused.   Could've used a 5th dungeon in that section and Rito's quest line could definitely have gone into the northwest mountain continent.  Maybe the DLC expansion will take place in Faron/Lurien or something.

Great game overall, was absolutely worth getting the Switch day 1.  Really liked my experience with the system as well and hopefully it'll get something to play between now and Mario/Xenoblade 2 in the fall/winter.  At this point it's just going in the closet now that I'm done with Zelda. 

I'd probably give it a 9/10.  I think it's most fun Zelda game ever.  Some of the top tier Zeldas have done other things better (more dungeons, more abilities, more story) but I think BoTW beats them all in the overall package.  Looking forward to see what the DLC brings and will check out their next game in another 5-6 years. 

???

JRPG gamers.... :snoop

Which is ironic too since it was the jrpg devs (Monolithsoft) that are the reason BoTW turned out good and not another Skyward Sword.  Monolithsoft designed the world terrain and made it one of the most interesting open worlds to explore as well as were part of the game design (probably the good ideas).