Author Topic: Hitman  (Read 31311 times)

Bebpo

Re: Hitman
« Reply #180 on: October 01, 2019, 12:26:11 AM »
Nah, guards only react to stuff that see like dead bodies. The game isn't super "realistic" but that's part of what makes it a fun sandbox game.

Characters do interact with you, but only like walking around you or following you if you seem suspicious. What happens is you get specific outfits which cause the characters to actually interact with as that character and it changes their scripting to a new loop. You can also change scripting of NPCs by making changes in the world which is a huuuuuge way you do things in the game. Like turning up the heater or shutting off some music or tons of stuff which moves npcs to new loops and you take advantage of that. Just expirement around.

Bebpo

« Reply #181 on: October 23, 2019, 01:26:38 AM »

Halloween escalation is fun. Finally something to do in NZ! The costume is great. I only did the first level but I hope you unlock it by beating all 3 levels.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #182 on: October 23, 2019, 04:06:57 AM »
Will definitely try this, love Hawkes Bay
itm

Bebpo

« Reply #183 on: November 03, 2019, 04:39:12 AM »
Finished the halloween escalation lvl.3, all you get is a bat shuriken :( Wanted that costume to use on all stages.
Also did the Whittleton Creek elusive. Pretty fun.

Bebpo

« Reply #184 on: January 01, 2020, 05:08:15 PM »
Did the new elusive on Sgail since new elusives are pretty rare in H2 and I try to check them out. Game kept crashing during the map which was annoying. I swear every PC game is a headache to get working right these days.

Anyhow, my Hitman skills are rusty when I haven't played in a half year or more. Couldn't even find my way around Sgail at first, but figured it out and did my patented "I'm too lazy to figure out how to do this elusive right, so I'm gonna drop a stealth remote bomb next to them and walk away and blow them up" method and got it.

At some point I'll get back to this and do all the stuff in the Bank/Resort and these new escalations. At this point the H2 maps finally feel pretty fleshed out in terms of each having a bunch of escalations like H1 did. Almost would've been better to just wait a year and jump in now. Looking forward to doing the Mumbai ones since that map is so good. Also the Whittleton Creek ones just to have more to do on that map that is criminally underused.

pilonv1

« Reply #185 on: January 02, 2020, 05:38:04 AM »
Still bitter they're not doing an elusive target for Mumbai.
itm

Bebpo

« Reply #186 on: April 07, 2020, 01:23:03 AM »
Working through my backlog one at a time and time to finally finish up the Hitman 2 DLC and bonus missions!

Spent a few hours on the bank today. I cleared Bank/Resort once or twice at release, but now I'm actually learning the map. Did the escalation and then ended up doing a Suit Only SA using the method from the escalation to get the vault core and escape SA style, was just figuring out a suit only path up to the target and back. Then started doing the mission stories and knocking down achievements. Still got a handful to go.

Pretty good map! A lot of different ways to approach it. It's definitely on the smaller side compared to most of the other missions, but it seems really well made. Should finish up all the challenges next session and then will start on learning The Resort.

Bebpo

« Reply #187 on: April 07, 2020, 02:02:56 AM »
lol at the hidden trophy/achievement in the Bank where by playing as an investment banker and crashing the stock market you get a new exit to jump out of the window of the building

Bebpo

« Reply #188 on: April 08, 2020, 12:21:07 AM »
Finished all the challenges in the Bank. Fun map! Only negative I have to say is that you can’t do anything with the bank robbers in the bathroom. There really should’ve been a scripted bank robbery you can trigger.

Still good stuff, lot of interesting opportunities. Time for the Resort next!

Bebpo

« Reply #189 on: April 20, 2020, 10:35:56 PM »
Alright finished up Haven Island/The Resort. Took a good 12-15 hours to do all the challenges/lvl.20, get my SA/SOs. Definitely size-wise it's comparable to some of the smaller main maps.

Quality-wise...it's ok. I liked The Bank better. It was just more tightly designed. The resort has a lot of wasted space and for a lot of the unique kills there's a lot of scripted waiting to get people where you want them. There's some good kills and it's generally pretty fun, but it's also a litttttle bit dull. Would put it around the bottom-tier main maps. The Bank is a mini-map, but would put it more towards the middle of the Hitman 2016/2018 maps in quality.

Now since I took a year break from the game, time to do the 5 special assignment missions on the 2018 maps (except the castle one which doesn't have one) and their challenges. Looks like should take 3-4 hours each based on the # of challenges and figuring out SA/SO runs. Also when I left there was like 1 escalation per 2018 map, now there's like 4-5, so will try them all at as I go through the 2018 maps again.

At 120 hours now for 2018's content. Good stuff. This is definitely holding me over until Hitman 3 comes out.

One complaint though, is I noticed they added a bunch of game breaking items in the last year and when I watch people online do speedruns and figure out how to accomplish some of the challenges (when I can't figure it out), a lot of them are totally cheating and it doesn't really count. The items I'm talking about are the tranq gun, emetic tranq gun, electricity phone (this last one isn't as big of deal because it lets you cheat electrocution challenges, but so did explosives for explosion challenges), but yeah the tranq guns have no place in Hitman because they totally break the design that you can just shoot anyone anywhere and the collapse and it doesn't count as a body found so you can just steal whatever people are holding that way. I haven't used them because it just feels bs to me. 

Bebpo

« Reply #190 on: April 21, 2020, 03:42:27 AM »
Ok, first special assignment in Miami challenges done. Took a bit just to figure out how to get the food stand disguise, but yeah the SASO on this is ridiculously short/easy. I checked some vids and everyone used the same kill. On to the next one.

Bebpo

« Reply #191 on: April 22, 2020, 02:57:59 AM »
Alright, finished up all 4 special assignments and all their challenges. They're essentially just 4 elusives that are replayable with challenges encouraging figuring out how to kill them in all the different ways. Which is great. I'd love for them to re-release all the elusives at some point as replayable missions with a handful of challenges each.

Anyhow,

Miami water guy - Was ok, pretty short/simple area but took some figuring out for some of the kills
Whittleton creek water guy - good, simple but fun house to mess around with. That map needed more content so another house to stealth around was fun.
Santa Fortuna snake hunter - ugh, this mission was TERRIBLE, I probably spent the most hours here and was the most frustrating. Shitty visibility, glitchy foilage, full hostile area. The SOSA was pretty rough here and had to use the same cheese as all the videos with a car battery in a puddle because didn't see any other way. Santa Fortuna was the weakest map and this is the weakest elusive/special assignment
Mumbai magician - great, the Mumbai map is so well designed that making an elusive entirely using the apartment complex at the start works really well. Lot of fun figuring this out and I got SOSA on my first run and all the challenges outside electricity figured out on my own

So now, ~124 hours in, all the targets in Hitman 2018 are done. Will spend a session or two next going through all these escalations they added to the maps. Will do the fun ones, and youtube the annoying ones and then call it a wrap on 2018.

I remember being a little disappointed in 2018 when it released because it felt barebones compared to 2016 by the end. If Hitman 2018 had released at this state I would have been 100% satisfied. Now that it's content complete, it's just as great of a game as the first reboot Hitman in 2016. Together the two games are easily some of the best games of all time to me.

Also the NPC dialogues are so good. Always finding funny exchanges.

Bebpo

« Reply #192 on: April 22, 2020, 11:15:10 PM »
Well I went through the Miami escalations, only 2 I skipped and watched videos cause they were tedious. Some fun ones in there like loud shotgun in briefcase kills. I never use the heavy duty weapons in the main game so it's fun having ones where you go around shooting everything.

Started on the Santa Fortuna ones but ugh, too tedious. Did the first construction one then jumped over to Whittleton Creek and did a few.

Got pretty burnout after that so I'm gonna call it good. There's some really good clever escalations and I love how they're essentially each unique puzzle as much as a puzzle game like Spacechem just in a different form. But my brain needs a rest so maybe I'll come back and do more escalations/featured contracts at some point. I just found out that there's actually rewards for featured contracts like you can start with a wrench at 15 featured contracts down!

Bebpo

« Reply #193 on: June 11, 2020, 05:42:33 PM »
So Hitman 2016 Season 3 in January. Good stuff. Was definitely worried 3 wouldn't get made since 2 didn't do very well sales-wise.

I expect more of the same like Hitman 2 was, which is fine because Hitman 2 was another 100+ hours of top-notch comedy stealth gameplay. It would be nice if the game didn't launch with 1/2 content like Hitman 2...but I have a feeling it'll follow the same model so be pretty lacking on escalations and stuff at first and be filled in over a year again.

Hopefully at least this time they will have the budget/time to make elusive targets for Hitman 3 maps. That's the one area where Hitman 2 never caught up with 2016. There were so few original Hitman 2 elusives compared to 2016. Hell Mumbai never even got one and that map is huge and amazing!

One thing I hope and I'm sorta of actually expecting at this point, is since this is set to be the final Hitman game of this series ( :'( I could play these forever), I hope one of the selling features is going to unlocking every elusive from Hitman 1/2 as replayable missions. We'll see.

Also according to the rumor leak, there is some sort of co-op multiplayer. Hopefully they don't put too much budget/time on this and it doesn't effect the single player quality/content. It could be fun, but the game really doesn't need multiplayer for what it is.

And give some improvements to user contracts! Make it so users can actually set fail requirements if you don't follow the mission instructions instead of them just being "optional" for more points. That would make user contracts more like real escalations and more meaty.

Anyhow looking forward to the new locations. I'm sure Sumo Digital will do one of the stages again and I'm sure it'll be the worst again haha. Hopefully we get a full 6 locations as well instead of 5.

Borealis

« Reply #194 on: June 13, 2020, 05:01:14 AM »
I think signs are pointing to six full levels, as they're promoting Dubai (akin to Paris and Miami previews) and it's apparently the first mission in Hitman 3.

Hitman 2 is in a weird spot with Hawke's Bay being a pseudo-tutorial level even though the actual tutorials are available for players with any package, but I think that was due to SQ pulling the plug, the subsequent budget, with the huge scope of Mumbai kinda making up for it. I'm fucking glad progress from H2 (and Legacy maps) will be carried over/imported, I don't think I can stand another SA/SO run through Colorado.

Finally got round to Haven Island and found it to be a blast.

I'm hoping they improve the menu design this time, the side-scrolling navigation for everything is not the way to go as this "world of assassination" grows bigger and bigger.

Bebpo

« Reply #195 on: January 21, 2021, 01:53:16 AM »

First real run of Dubai done! Was good, but outside the stellar art direction didn't think it stood out too much. Feels kinda standard split of one target on one side, one target on the other. Not many enforcers so once you get an outfit can pretty much just walk around. Will be fun exploring it more to get into the smaller details.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #196 on: January 21, 2021, 02:58:27 AM »
So if i were to buy III on the EGS, is it confirmed that i can bring over 1 and 2 from Steam? with saves and expansions? I'm still not clear on this.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #197 on: January 21, 2021, 03:16:45 AM »
So if i were to buy III on the EGS, is it confirmed that i can bring over 1 and 2 from Steam? with saves and expansions? I'm still not clear on this.

They are still working on making sure people get Hitman 2 content for free I believe. You will not have to rebuy it in the end.

Saves? No I dont think those transfer. Only content and unlocks do.
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #198 on: January 21, 2021, 03:18:13 AM »
Its really weird they didnt add a tutorial level for Hitman 3 like they did for 1 and 2 tho
What

Bebpo

« Reply #199 on: January 21, 2021, 03:21:23 AM »

Well, when their system actually works.

You transfer over all your Steam stuff outside the Hitman 2 maps themselves, which will come free later. If you're impatient you can re-buy them for $7.99. You'll get the Hitman 1 maps and all of your progress, challenges completed, items obtained, achievements earned will all carry over. If it wasn't for the Hitman 2 map fuck up and if their servers weren't totally fucked today so it took 8 hours to do this and you couldn't play in the meantime, it would've been pretty ok outside missing the nice steam things like friends list, activity and screenshot sharing, steam cards, etc...

Right now it's a little weird having Hitman 1 maps and Hitman 3 maps but all the destinations in between are greyed out.

Oh and they took out the cellphone bomb because it made the game way too easy. So that doesn't transfer. But they still left in the tranq guns so idk where they draw the line on balance. I just don't use the tranq guns. I mean not only is there a sleep one but there is one that makes a person go to the bathroom. That is so broken since you just shoot a target from a distance and then follow them into a bathroom and drown them.

Its really weird they didnt add a tutorial level for Hitman 3 like they did for 1 and 2 tho

Dubai seems like a tutorial level. But also a full big level with lots of challenges and levels to gain. It's a pretty easy level and the guy in your earpiece basically walks you through stuff initially.

I'm hoping the second map is more challenging because Dubai is essentially the tutorial map.

Bebpo

« Reply #200 on: January 21, 2021, 03:25:39 AM »
Also kinda aside but I wanna mention how when they patch RTX in, no one will be able to run it at over 30fps  :lol

The game requires a lot of performance right now without RTX. I'm barely getting 60fps with 2080ti and i9 9900k @ 1440p. When RTX comes in I'm sure it'll look real nice and I'll check it out at 30fps with some stuff turned down probably, but yeah there ain't no way even a 3080ti is gonna run this at 4k/60fps w/RTX based on the current performance.

Oh and FYI, we're back to Hitman 2 barebones launch again this time. Outside the Deluxe edition which comes with like 3-4 escalations, the maps have zero escalations just like when Hitman 2 launched. You just get the maps and that's it for now. If it follows suit, then in about a year the game will finally be complete. Just in time for the Steam launch!

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #201 on: January 21, 2021, 04:19:20 AM »
Im getting over 120fps with a 3070 on 2560x1440p with a 3070 and a ryzen 2600x 🤷🏼‍♂️

Germany level is fucking awesome
What

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #202 on: January 21, 2021, 04:41:12 AM »
Did they say anything about carrying the dlc? The NY bank and haven.

pilonv1

« Reply #203 on: January 21, 2021, 04:53:35 AM »
Really want to play this but will be waiting for the first price drop due to their bullshit comms about the PC version content carrying over. They learned nothing from last time
itm

Bebpo

« Reply #204 on: January 21, 2021, 05:14:37 AM »

Ended up doing the deluxe edition escalation in Dubai. Was pretty great. And it better fucking be considering they're charging a $30 upcharge for 6 premium escalations (2 which aren't even available at launch). Nice outfit too.

Also got a lot of freezes where it disconnected and then reconnected to the server. That's some scary shit when you're 20 mins into a one shot, no saves escalation. Game needs a few days to get stable for sure. This launch was a mess.

Did they say anything about carrying the dlc? The NY bank and haven.

Yeah, it should cross over when the H2 maps do.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #205 on: January 21, 2021, 06:09:45 AM »
Really want to play this but will be waiting for the first price drop due to their bullshit comms about the PC version content carrying over. They learned nothing from last time

That and VR being exclusive and EGS exclusive.. on top of all their other bullshit. Unlocks tied to server status etc. Fuck all that. Yes it's six awesome levels, but let's be honest so far Hitman 3 isn't really doing anything that couldnt be done in Hitman 2. So it feels kinda more like DLC to me.
What

Bebpo

« Reply #206 on: January 21, 2021, 03:16:05 PM »
From what I'm reading, the standout maps in this one are maps #3-5, Berlin (supposedly the best), China, Romania. Map #6 is the NZ map of this game, but used as a narrative finale for the story and maps #1-2 are good, but too easy & simple is the consensus I'm seeing.

The first two games were kinda frontloaded with Paris/Sapienza being crazy good from the start and Miami being really complex and quality (with Mumbai being the best in that set). So just sounds like H3 is more backloaded with the higher quality/complexity like they were trying to ease new players in. They also got rid of Master Difficulty specific challenges, so I guess it's easier to platinum for less good players? These were the classic SA/SOSA/Sniper/No Evidence/etc...in Master difficulty.

I don't want to be too pessimistic, but I wonder if this game bombs hard like H2 or worse, if they'll even post-launch support it with elusive targets & escalations. Since it's the last game in the series and unlike H2 where they promised 2 full DLC maps later on with the season pass, they haven't really promised anything besides an RTX patch (which Nvidia might be giving them $$ for), so if it's not paying the bills I could see them bail and focus on their other projects.

Hopefully they'll still support it for a year with a bunch of elusives on the new maps and at least 2-3 escalations per location. Since they're self-publishing and this is their baby, there's got to be a lot of pride in making the game as quality as possible. But business is business when you're paying for 100 employees+ or something.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 03:21:03 PM by Bebpo »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #207 on: January 21, 2021, 03:24:58 PM »
Either way we got some great Hitman games from it. I still miss certain elements from previous games like the classic duel silenced baller pistols, shooting while dragging, and human hostages while beeing able to shoot. I also think a lot of maps from Blood Money and 2 are better. Also pretty sure they localized VA for Russians and Japanese people but I might be misremembering.
What

Bebpo

« Reply #208 on: January 21, 2021, 03:30:53 PM »
Yeah, the VA is so bad for some locations. I really noticed it in Dubai when every person in this tower is sounds like they're from USA.

I need to play Blood Money at some point. I was into Hitman for 1/2 back in the day (and I just remember they were hard as fuck) but dropped off the series until 2016. I played Blood Money once when I got it for like $5 in a sale and I think I beat the first level but never played further. I always hear great things about it and that 2016 basically just took inspiration from Blood Money for the kind of game it was going for.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #209 on: January 21, 2021, 03:35:44 PM »
I played Blood Money as well as 2 and Absolution (and some of Contracts) before playing 2016, but i think the current trilogy is the peak of the series under pretty much every aspect, except maybe story, if you care about that.
Especially since you can more or less tailor how much hand-holding you have.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #210 on: January 21, 2021, 03:48:38 PM »
I think I might have to replay Blood Money, but I remember there being a bunch of great levels.

Sure it's probably not as intricate as the newer games, since the levels are just massive. But some really great levels like Vinny Sinestra, The Crows, Opera is pretty decent too I suppose.

Hitman 2 Silent Assassin also has a bunch of great levels.

And yeah, the VA fucking sucks in the new Hitman games. They have like 5 americans doing the VO over there or something. How hard is it to get some Japanese VO? Or Arabic? German? I cannot imagine that costing that much.

And I just miss getting missions from the Agency and going around the world to kill terrible people. I dont give a fuck about the Constant, The ICA double backstabs and all that.

The way you have to ID and assassinate this target is super cool imo.

Give me Diana giving 47 missions and him going around the globe and doing his thing.
Ofcourse the Jesper Kyd OST is sorely missed too.

Maybe they should have remade some maps from the previous games.

Also an amazing map, and it's also where that costume is from Bepbo that you were rocking in that Dubai Escalation. I knew I knew it.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 03:58:30 PM by MMaRsu »
What

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #211 on: January 21, 2021, 04:54:40 PM »
I decided to get Hitman 3 after hearing a lot of good stuff about it. I'm gonna try to take a different perspective on unlocks and not feeling like I'm missing out if I don't get them.

This probably being the final Hitman game some time, along with Agent 47 getting closure to his story also made this an easy buy.

Since I own all new Hitman stuff on Xbox, getting all the packs and transferring progress wasn't too painless. It does sound like a clusterfuck for a lot of people. Not many game devs have attempted bridging all content in this way tho.
OH!

Bebpo

« Reply #212 on: January 21, 2021, 05:00:58 PM »
I dunno if it helps but the way I play these games is my first run or two I do blind and avoid mission stories I run into. Just explore, find the targets, find an opening and kill them and get out.

Then I do all the mission stories to see the scripted ways to get kills in and get a better idea of how the stage works.
Then I try to figure out a sniper assassin run.
Then I try to figure out a suit only SA run.

After that I look at the challenges and try to figure out how to do the remaining assassination challenges. Figuring out how to get a target to a position to do them is pretty fun. At that point I've probably knocked off most of the exploration discovery challenges and I just finish the last couple.

Somewhere along the way I always hit lvl.20 mastery and all the unlocks.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #213 on: January 21, 2021, 10:05:49 PM »
Is VR PSVR only at this point? Might hold off a bit until a price drop on this

Bebpo

« Reply #214 on: January 21, 2021, 11:38:22 PM »
It is. I guess it could be a timed exclusive. Hadn't even thought of that. I was just assuming it's a permeant PSVR thing. But I guess by the time it comes to Steam it could have VR support.

Honestly this isn't the kind of game where VR seems like it would be particularly interesting.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #215 on: January 22, 2021, 01:40:23 AM »
Sony needs to fuck off with these VR exclusives  >:(.
Facebook too, but at least those are easy to crack/play on other headsets, and they have a good headset, too.

pilonv1

itm

Bebpo

« Reply #217 on: January 22, 2021, 03:16:31 PM »

Sho Nuff

« Reply #218 on: January 22, 2021, 09:30:54 PM »
Shit the VR looks really good

kingv

« Reply #219 on: January 22, 2021, 10:05:48 PM »
Dartmoor mission was pretty underwhelming compared to Dubai. It was both easy and didn’t seem like much going on in that level.

Bebpo

« Reply #220 on: January 22, 2021, 10:08:04 PM »
Dartmoor mission was pretty underwhelming compared to Dubai. It was both easy and didn’t seem like much going on in that level.

Dang. Yeah I hear the first two are pretty easy/simple.

I think I'll like Dartmoor better just because of the setting being Knives Out mansion with a detective. Dubai has nice skyline orange, but otherwise it's just another multi-floor office building.

Probably play some more Dubai tonight and do some of the mission story stuff.

Bebpo

« Reply #221 on: January 23, 2021, 02:39:12 AM »
Played with the latest patches. Game seems to run better. But still had a couple disconnects and they still haven't fixed the mastery bug where if you played and unlocked challenges while your profile was transferring from H2 -> H3 you lose all that xp and mastery levels and if you got a lot during that time it will be impossible to hit lvl.20 and since your profile is server based you're just fucked.

I lost 2 mastery levels because of that, but I think I'll still hit lvl.20 when all challenges are done though it'll be tighter. Feel bad for people that were like mastery 10+ and got reset to 0 and will never get to 20 if they don't fix this.

Also I'm not sure how I feel about the shortcuts that you open up and they stay open for the next playthroughs. Just seems kind of silly and basically locking out suit only until 2nd or later run since the shortcuts are pretty big for that. Same with remembering passcodes.

There's also not a lot of interesting kill challenges in Dubai. I've gotten almost all of them, just need to do one last mission story. It's not bad, but in terms of complexity Dubai's map feels closer to the smaller Bank DLC map than Hitman's more complicated levels with tons of opportunities for interesting stuff.

Fewer costumes too. I swear in Hitman 1/2 if someone was wearing an outfit and a male person you could wear it. There's unique characters in Dubai (reporter, sheik) and you can't get their outfits which is lame.

I think Dubai has potential for elusives. But considering Hitman 2 had like 1 or 2 elusives max on those stages I don't expect more than 1 so it probably won't get much use beyond the targets in there and contracts.

Gonna go for a sniper SA run and then SOSA tomorrow. Feels like I'll finish everything in Dubai in <5-10 hours instead of like 15-20, and will move on to Dartmoor.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #222 on: January 23, 2021, 08:24:36 AM »
I really am liking Dartmoor.

Bebpo

« Reply #223 on: January 23, 2021, 05:07:02 PM »
Forgot how tedious and how much waiting there is in some of these challenges.

Hit lvl.20 mastery in Dubai and just have 2 challenges left. One is glitched "Nightcrawler" and won't pop which is annoying because it is the longest and most tedious challenge in the map.

The other one I've got left is the banana one which is probably one of the more tedious ones just because it takes a bit. Probably not too bad. Will do that and then maybe try to get a Master difficulty SOSA run in before moving to Dartmoor.

I like Dubai after doing all the stuff, but it's definitely in the bottom 1/3rd of modern Hitman maps. The Shiek has to have been a 3rd target that was cut. Dude has way too long of a routine with multiple openings, interacts with both targets and has a main set piece only to have no point.

kingv

« Reply #224 on: January 23, 2021, 06:19:14 PM »
I beat hitman 3, and am moving on to 2 and then probably finish the first one.

I haven’t really been trying to do too many challenges but might come back to them later

The beach scene in 2 looks amazing

Bebpo

« Reply #225 on: January 23, 2021, 06:38:02 PM »
2 is pretty rad.

Miami, Mumbai, Isgail are all  :clap  goty tier

The Bank is pretty small but I like it a lot.
Haven Island was alright, same with Santa Fortuna and America land is a bit boring.

I think 1 still has the best stages overall, plus it had way more support with all the bonus missions like the variations on Sapienza with The Icon and Landslide which are A++

The game definitely worked best as episodic GAAS game where the community would replay the same maps for a couple months at a time with new content continually added. It's a bit of a shame for Hitman 3 since IOI had full control they didn't go back to episodic format.

Bebpo

« Reply #226 on: January 23, 2021, 08:33:08 PM »
Finished Dubai challenges 100% and did a Master difficulty SOSA run and it was...identical? Seems like they didn't put any effort into that mode in this one. Might as well just play on Professional so you can save more frequently.

Time for Dartmoor...

Bebpo

« Reply #227 on: January 23, 2021, 08:34:37 PM »
Also yeah, in Hitman 1 & 2, each map would take about 15-20 hours to fully complete all challenges and master difficulty SOSA run. I did Dubai in ~10 or a bit less. Definitely a simpler/easier map with a bit less to do. Bigger than The Bank/Haven Island, but smaller than the main levels in H1/H2.

Bebpo

« Reply #228 on: January 23, 2021, 10:35:34 PM »
Did a quick 40 min run of Dartmoor and killed a bunch of people and got a little of the gist of the story there, will do some mission stories next and see what is the proper stuff.

Started Berlin though just because the story stuff at the end of Dartmoor was pretty interesting. Beginning of Berlin is cool. I'm actually all for these one time narrative level intros. The story has been fine, but mostly background in this trilogy and I'm ok with it being more forefront here. Actually interested in the story.

Bebpo

« Reply #229 on: January 24, 2021, 04:00:53 AM »
Ok, I did the Murder Mystery in Dartmoor.

After feeling like Dubai was kinda of just an okay Hitman 2016/2018 level, I think I'm now getting what Hitman 3 is going for and it's actually a lot cooler project than I thought and not just a dumbed down smaller/simplified Hitman 1/2.

From what I'm hearing of stuff past Berlin and what I've seen in the first 3 maps, it feels like Dubai was just a "one for old times sake" traditional sandbox Hitman 1/2 style map with some very small new additions (camera and slightly more narrative). But the real Hitman 3 starts after that and rather then just doing more of the same that Hitman 2 did (which is totally fine since the formula is amazing), Hitman 3 actually shakes up the formula and is an ambitious game that's trying new concepts with Hitman gameplay for each stage.

I actually think that's pretty awesome and respect that ambition. I really enjoyed Dartmoor's mystery story and clue hunting. It was a very different type of game experience within the Hitman engine/gameplay and it worked. (and I also like that it's an extremely heavy nod to Knives Out, and who knew we'd ever get Knives Out - The videogame. I hope Rian Johnson plays this map).

I do wish there was an alternate way to conclude the Dartmoor murder mystery map.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
After solving the mystery, and asking for the case file and getting it, I didn't want to kill the target. I wish you could've taken her offer up and killed Emma and maybe let her fake her death and walk away. It seemed like she was done with everything and wasn't really a threat anymore. Would've been a satisfying alternate conclusion to the map. Kinda like an rpg quest with multiple resolutions.
[close]

Also I think IOI should've changed one small thing on the mission story for the detective mystery

When you get all the clues, your narrator shouldn't TELL YOU who did it. I mean it's clearly obvious once you've gotten all the clues but part of the satisfaction is presenting your conclusion without being 100% sure you are correct and hoping you are. Was pretty lame when before you could even tell the butler who you thought did it, the game tells you exactly who did it. I think the narrator should've said something like "now that you have all the clues it should be obvious who did it" or something like that instead of telling you Emma did it.
[close]
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 04:05:19 AM by Bebpo »

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #230 on: January 24, 2021, 06:09:04 AM »
It feels weird to be able to delete Hitman 1 and 2 from the Xbox, but they're ya go. 3 has all of it.

It'd be nice if Dartmoor mysteries were randomized, too, that way replays could be a bit more interesting. Maybe have
your target be a killer as story canon. That would eliminate any doubt in her need to be eliminated.
[close]

Now spoiler question:

I wonder if it's possible to kill everyone at the beginning of the Mendoza level, essentially saving Burnwood? I tried it like 15 times for yuks. Might need a bigger starter gun.
[close]
rub

kingv

« Reply #231 on: January 24, 2021, 03:38:24 PM »
Ok, I did the Murder Mystery in Dartmoor.

After feeling like Dubai was kinda of just an okay Hitman 2016/2018 level, I think I'm now getting what Hitman 3 is going for and it's actually a lot cooler project than I thought and not just a dumbed down smaller/simplified Hitman 1/2.

From what I'm hearing of stuff past Berlin and what I've seen in the first 3 maps, it feels like Dubai was just a "one for old times sake" traditional sandbox Hitman 1/2 style map with some very small new additions (camera and slightly more narrative). But the real Hitman 3 starts after that and rather then just doing more of the same that Hitman 2 did (which is totally fine since the formula is amazing), Hitman 3 actually shakes up the formula and is an ambitious game that's trying new concepts with Hitman gameplay for each stage.

I actually think that's pretty awesome and respect that ambition. I really enjoyed Dartmoor's mystery story and clue hunting. It was a very different type of game experience within the Hitman engine/gameplay and it worked. (and I also like that it's an extremely heavy nod to Knives Out, and who knew we'd ever get Knives Out - The videogame. I hope Rian Johnson plays this map).

I do wish there was an alternate way to conclude the Dartmoor murder mystery map.

After solving the mystery, and asking for the case file and getting it, I didn't want to kill the target. I wish you could've taken her offer up and killed Emma and maybe let her fake her death and walk away. It seemed like she was done with everything and wasn't really a threat anymore. Would've been a satisfying alternate conclusion to the map. Kinda like an rpg quest with multiple resolutions.
[close]

Also I think IOI should've changed one small thing on the mission story for the detective mystery

When you get all the clues, your narrator shouldn't TELL YOU who did it. I mean it's clearly obvious once you've gotten all the clues but part of the satisfaction is presenting your conclusion without being 100% sure you are correct and hoping you are. Was pretty lame when before you could even tell the butler who you thought did it, the game tells you exactly who did it. I think the narrator should've said something like "now that you have all the clues it should be obvious who did it" or something like that instead of telling you Emma did it.
[close]

Huh, I didn’t even really get into the dartmoor story much when I played it because of the way I did it. I set up the photo kind of by accident, then when she came out I knocked everyone out with a concussion grenade thing, shot her in the head, and dressed up as a bodyguard to go find the stupid safe puzzle.

The bodyguard costume basically gives you a full run of the house, so it just seemed sort of basic.

Germany I sort of felt the same, you can get a spcecific costume that basically just lets you wander endlessly with almost zero suspicion even from the targets.

[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #232 on: January 24, 2021, 03:45:33 PM »
Yeah, unfortunately I feel like these stages all have a "correct story canon way" to play them. One of the developers on Era even chimed in as much.

Basically one mission story is the "main" story of the mission and the idea is you play that one first for the narrative experience and then on replays you do your own sandbox thing with shortcuts unlocked and knocking out challenges.

In Dubai the main story mission is the server room one, in Dartmoor it's the murder mystery one. Etc....

I don't think it's a bad/good thing since these games are about replays and it's just one of many ways to play it. But yeah my first run of Dartmoor I missed liked the entire murder mystery plotline and doing it the second time the level was like 10x better because it was actually the whole point of the map.

I generally don't run mission stories on my first run because they spoil too much of the opportunities instead of letting you figure them out, but I think from Berlin onwards I might just do the main mission stories first run this time around.

Bebpo

« Reply #233 on: January 24, 2021, 05:10:19 PM »
I do appreciate that when you have the detective outfit on in Dartmoor there are zero enforcers and you can just walk around the whole map without having to dodge anyone. When gathering clues and doing the detective work it's pretty helpful and I think that storyline would've been for worse if you had to dodge people while doing detective work.

Bebpo

« Reply #234 on: January 24, 2021, 06:35:07 PM »

Did my SOSA run in Dartmoor. Was pretty fun figuring out a good combination of opportunities and paths to do it. I thought I was gonna get the Sniper Assassin one too, but I guess what I considering the "roof" of the mansion wasn't actually the roof and somehow I can get higher.

The photography stuff in Dartmoor was pretty fun. Definitely like this level, feels closer to the quality of the good Hitman 1/2 maps.

Oh an the leaderboards for Dartmoor are at 163,000 players. Now if that's not sorted by platform and those are total players across all releases in the first week who've at least finished 2 stages...yeah, seems about as bomba as usual for the series.

Bebpo

« Reply #235 on: January 24, 2021, 10:48:37 PM »
Damn, in Dartmoor I was struggling with the poison objective w/o cheating it with injection. Looked it up and hahahaahaa this game is so cool.

As long as you do one of the storylines to get Alexi to address her family, if you do nothing she will die later on her own because after the meeting Emma will go out to the greenhouse and make poison and come back and poison her drink.

You can just like walk around and grab the file and walk to the exit and then she'll die. So good.
[close]

Rahxephon91

« Reply #236 on: January 24, 2021, 11:19:54 PM »
Yeah, this one did seem more story-focused than the previous two.

Bebpo

« Reply #237 on: January 25, 2021, 12:57:44 AM »
Finished all the challenges in Dartmoor and did a Suit only SA master difficulty run (which was pretty easy). When you know all the workings of Dartmoor it's probably the easiest level on a pure stealth assassin basis, but that's not really the point of the level in this one, so the map is still great. Lots of fun stuff and the story was cool.

It even has multiple endings even if it doesn't give you the one I wanted. When finished up all the challenges I found out.

If you frame the death on Zachary, which only takes a single item in the library 2f, Alexi gives you the case file AND kills herself letting you just walk out and instant win the map.
[close]

I did appreciate the fast forward starting points though I only used them for one challenge. All levels should have FF starting points to start midway through routings.

Bebpo

« Reply #238 on: January 26, 2021, 01:46:16 AM »
Only had a little free time tonight so instead of jumping into Berlin I did the Deluxe Edition escalation in Dartmoor.

Like the one in Dubai, it was hella good. And it also shows that Dartmoor is going to shine in escalations/contracts mode. That mansion is really well designed for getting all around the inside rooms without being seen. In the main mission & challenges there's no reason not to just use a disguise and walk around normally, if you're doing Suit Only you stick to the outside anyhow, but having suit only stuff inside the mansion makes it really interesting and a lot of fun.

Sho Nuff

« Reply #239 on: January 26, 2021, 09:55:40 AM »
I bit and got the PS4/PS5 version so I could play it in PSVR exclusively and it’s FFfffFFffffuuuuuuuckin awesome.

This is really scratching my itch because it’s an awesome chillout game where you fuck around in really awesome looking environments that have super detailed shit everywhere. I’ve done three hours on my first playthrough of Dubai and I’m taking a break before I actually murder anyone.

I imagine it’s gonna be way harder in the challenge modes, but the immersion is off the goddamn charts.

There’s some weird popin in the crowd sequences but this is easily one of the best-looking VR games out there, there aren’t a lot of titles that have this level of fidelity PLUS the ability to play ALL the content from all three games.

Bebpo baby, I bought vanilla Hitman 1 on PS4 back when it first came out, were there any more single player map releases worth playing? Sadly I recently cleared Hitman 2 on Xbone so I don’t have access to any of that.