Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 943328 times)

Tuckers Law

Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #5520 on: August 20, 2019, 01:11:14 PM »
The Touryst has my undivided attention.  I know it’s not a sequel to 3D Dot Game Heroes, but damn does it look close.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5521 on: August 20, 2019, 02:56:47 PM »
The Touryst has my undivided attention.  I know it’s not a sequel to 3D Dot Game Heroes, but damn does it look close.

It's made by Shin'en- am definitely going to try it!
ど助平

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #5522 on: August 21, 2019, 02:29:25 AM »
My left joycon has developed a drift problem to the point it's barely usable even in something that requires very little finesse in controlling like fucking Fire Emblem, so that's fun. GOOD JON, NINTENDO. Thank god for my 8bitdo controller.
yar

Occam

« Reply #5523 on: August 21, 2019, 03:45:11 AM »
Doesn't Nintendo fix/exchange them for free?

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #5524 on: August 21, 2019, 04:52:36 AM »
Hope this Astral Chain game is good, or I just wasted 52 eurobucks.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5525 on: August 21, 2019, 06:21:30 AM »
Let us know what you think. I was thinking about picking it up next month.
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5526 on: August 21, 2019, 08:20:48 AM »
Moneyhat Magazine Famitsu gave it 9/10/9/9 [37/40].

ど助平

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #5527 on: August 21, 2019, 12:09:57 PM »

Yes, or at the most charges for shipping to fix them.

Can I use my Switch if I don't have a controller with a home button on it while they're being repaired, though? (serious question, I don't know the answer but it being Nintendo I presume the answer is "please understand")

Assuming I'm right and my Switch is unusable while the joycons are being repaired absent a separate outlay of cash on my part to secure another controller, and also assuming that the "fix" will involve not really fixing what is apparently an inherent design flaw and I'll be at the same exact place again in a matter of months, as I've seen several people report, can Nintendo just give me a fucking pro controller and admit they fucked up?

"Please understand"
yar

Occam

« Reply #5528 on: August 21, 2019, 05:14:34 PM »
Get a Mayflash Magic-NS and use your PS4 controller.
http://www.mayflash.com/Products/NINTENDOWiiU/MAGIC-NS.html

I discovered this only recently, and it's amazing.

Occam

« Reply #5529 on: August 21, 2019, 11:17:44 PM »
Review of the new revision of Switch that was released a few days ago, HAC-001(-01). It doesn't actually have a better battery, it has a new GPU that draws much less power:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-new-nintendo-switch-hac-001-01-review

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5530 on: August 22, 2019, 12:24:28 AM »
Review of the new revision of Switch that was released a few days ago, HAC-001(-01). It doesn't actually have a better battery, it has a new GPU that draws much less power:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-new-nintendo-switch-hac-001-01-review

Interesting that it actually performs better, albeit at like 1 FPS more, lol.  It runs a lot cooler than the first model- this has been the most noticeable thing about it for me, especially when it's docked.  No longer feels like it's heating up like crazy anymore.

ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5531 on: August 22, 2019, 12:27:49 AM »

Yes, or at the most charges for shipping to fix them.

Can I use my Switch if I don't have a controller with a home button on it while they're being repaired, though? (serious question, I don't know the answer but it being Nintendo I presume the answer is "please understand")

Assuming I'm right and my Switch is unusable while the joycons are being repaired absent a separate outlay of cash on my part to secure another controller, and also assuming that the "fix" will involve not really fixing what is apparently an inherent design flaw and I'll be at the same exact place again in a matter of months, as I've seen several people report, can Nintendo just give me a fucking pro controller and admit they fucked up?

"Please understand"

You can use the Switch without joycons to navigate the home screen- just use the touch screen.  If you're asking this because you're in a game and it's on standby, I assume you're SOL and have to power it off then back on again to get out of it. 

But yeah, if you don't want to pay for a pro controller, check out a controller adapter, 8BitDo controller (they're cheap and awesome!), or get a third-party pro controller- pretty sure Hori makes a wired one that's supposed to work great.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #5533 on: August 22, 2019, 01:02:19 PM »

Should have bought Grandia instead, a game that is known to be good already. Honestly some of you people these days
fat

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5534 on: August 22, 2019, 01:39:46 PM »
Bought Xonic with Nintendo Gold Bitcoins.
©@©™

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #5535 on: August 22, 2019, 02:40:39 PM »
Same, thanks berk.  :obama

DQ XI demo up as well.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #5536 on: August 22, 2019, 02:58:37 PM »
DQ11 demo is really impressive

Much better already then janky Dark Arisen

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #5537 on: August 22, 2019, 05:24:31 PM »
Bought Xonic with Nintendo Gold Bitcoins.
Totally gonna do the same 👍🏻

Rahxephon91

« Reply #5538 on: August 22, 2019, 05:47:28 PM »
Dragon Quest XI on the go sounds pretty good.

But that game is already so long. The thought of starting over is daunting.

Tasty

« Reply #5539 on: August 22, 2019, 06:55:21 PM »
Dragon Quest XI on the go sounds pretty good.

But that game is already so long. The thought of starting over is daunting.

Always wait for the Switch version breh  :rollsafe

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #5540 on: August 22, 2019, 07:23:35 PM »
What makes Dragon Quest fun? Not a set up, I’ve never played one

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #5541 on: August 22, 2019, 08:15:44 PM »

there's a demo. if you like traditional JRPG then you'll like Dragon  Quest
fat

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #5542 on: August 22, 2019, 08:40:07 PM »
Yeah I’ll have to try it, I have limited experience with jrpgs really, like idk grandia 2 on dreamcast, a tales game or something on GameCube, think that’s really about it that I’ve played off the top of my head  :-[

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #5543 on: August 22, 2019, 10:05:05 PM »
Xonic is p damn fun

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #5544 on: August 23, 2019, 12:11:24 AM »
Xonic is p damn fun

Xonic hurt my fkn brain.  :'(

Bebpo

« Reply #5545 on: August 23, 2019, 03:01:43 AM »
Tried DQXIs to see if this is how I will get back to DQXI and finish it (Japan version even lets me transfer my PS4 save to Switch version so can jump 35 hours in where I was).

Playing in handheld mode:
-Oh god this is low res compared to PS4 Pro version.
+But seems to run as smooth and if you squint looks about the same
+Orchestral soundtrack makes HUGE FUCKING DIFFERENCE, wow feels like playing a totally different game
+with a lil-Ultra fast battle speed is surprisingly...not much faster? It seems to only skip/speed up your team's attack animations. It still sits on the enemies and waits for them to decide to dance or something. I mean it's still faster battles than the original so can't really explain, but was expecting something lightning speed like Bravely Default on FF or something.
+VA seems nice and doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would since I'm used to DQ being all old-school feeling with 8-bit fonts and no VA

-no 2d mode in the demo WTF, since this is a big plus coming from the PS4 version, would've liked to try it. Pretty lame they didn't include it.

Also could you always dash on the overworld? I don't remember being able to sprint around this fast? Seems nice if it's new.

So basically:

+A bunch more content
+Get to play in handheld
+Way better soundtrack
+Slightly faster battles
+2d mode
+VA I guess

and all you lose is it looks a little crummier than the PS4 version (probably A LOT crummier than the super clean high res PC version that looks like a CG movie, but I never played that one luckily I guess). Guess I will be jumping back into DQXI with this. When I can try the 2d mode will decide whether to replay the first 30 hours that I don't even remember at this point in 2d mode until I get back where I was, or whether to just jump back in.

Fifstar

« Reply #5546 on: August 23, 2019, 06:08:09 AM »

It's oldschool jrpg design, but very accessible and relaxing to play. The modern ones have good to great production values. That's what I like about them. The stories and chars are tropey and not very complex but charming.

Some find DQ bland, but for me they are the ultimate jrpg comfort food.

I feel it's fair to say that this is one of those 'perfect on switch' games, especially with the additions this version has.

And while I understand the people that are let down by the drop in resolution, for me the inclusion of the orchestral soundtrack is a much more important addition, almost integral to the experience.

Gulp

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #5547 on: August 23, 2019, 07:42:08 AM »
One of the games has this character as a main character.

Torneko's the best.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5548 on: August 23, 2019, 08:06:10 AM »
Really impressed with that DQXI demo- runs really smoothly and looks fantastic for the platform.  Had to turn down the music volume to like 3, since the music volume is way too loud and drowns out of the rest of the sound, and even then it still seemed too loud, but that's pretty much my only complaint. 

And yeah, not having the 2D mode in the demo is pretty dumb.
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #5549 on: August 23, 2019, 08:52:05 AM »
Tried DQXIs to see if this is how I will get back to DQXI and finish it (Japan version even lets me transfer my PS4 save to Switch version so can jump 35 hours in where I was).

Playing in handheld mode:
-Oh god this is low res compared to PS4 Pro version.
+But seems to run as smooth and if you squint looks about the same
+Orchestral soundtrack makes HUGE FUCKING DIFFERENCE, wow feels like playing a totally different game
+with a lil-Ultra fast battle speed is surprisingly...not much faster? It seems to only skip/speed up your team's attack animations. It still sits on the enemies and waits for them to decide to dance or something. I mean it's still faster battles than the original so can't really explain, but was expecting something lightning speed like Bravely Default on FF or something.
+VA seems nice and doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would since I'm used to DQ being all old-school feeling with 8-bit fonts and no VA

-no 2d mode in the demo WTF, since this is a big plus coming from the PS4 version, would've liked to try it. Pretty lame they didn't include it.

Also could you always dash on the overworld? I don't remember being able to sprint around this fast? Seems nice if it's new.

So basically:

+A bunch more content
+Get to play in handheld
+Way better soundtrack
+Slightly faster battles
+2d mode
+VA I guess

and all you lose is it looks a little crummier than the PS4 version (probably A LOT crummier than the super clean high res PC version that looks like a CG movie, but I never played that one luckily I guess). Guess I will be jumping back into DQXI with this. When I can try the 2d mode will decide whether to replay the first 30 hours that I don't even remember at this point in 2d mode until I get back where I was, or whether to just jump back in.

- No Trophies

Enjoy your inferior version I guess.
fat

Tasty

« Reply #5550 on: August 23, 2019, 09:24:15 AM »
2D mode is so fucking wild I can barely wrap my mind around it.

Thinking about it, I've played a couple old school Final Fantasies but I don't think I've ever played a game in the Dragon Quest series. :thinking I always meant to get the remake trilogy on DS (DQ9 didn't seem suuuuper interesting to me), and I've kinda always wanted to play DQ8 since it looked cool and got great reviews.

Will give the DQ11 demo a shot.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5551 on: August 23, 2019, 10:08:50 AM »

It's oldschool jrpg design, but very accessible and relaxing to play. The modern ones have good to great production values. That's what I like about them. The stories and chars are tropey and not very complex but charming.

Some find DQ bland, but for me they are the ultimate jrpg comfort food.

I feel it's fair to say that this is one of those 'perfect on switch' games, especially with the additions this version has.

And while I understand the people that are let down by the drop in resolution, for me the inclusion of the orchestral soundtrack is a much more important addition, almost integral to the experience.

Adding to that, would recommend Dragon Quest Builders for the same reasons.  It's like a non-shitty Minecraft with Zelda-style game play. 
ど助平

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #5552 on: August 23, 2019, 10:28:43 AM »
I watched this longer than expected.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #5553 on: August 23, 2019, 10:47:07 AM »
Good to know I'm not alone. I pay more attention to this dude fixing consoles than I do to my subs.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #5554 on: August 23, 2019, 11:21:18 AM »

It's classic RPG gameplay without a lot of the bullshit - no overly convoluted "systems" to deal with, iconic monster design, large worlds to explore with lots to see and do, tons and tons of polish, straightforward but still charming plot - the overarching plot tends to be pretty simple (usually a legendary hero vs ancient evil thing) but the majority of the storytelling is done in smaller scenarios and these can be funny, tragic, heartfelt, etc. and are usually the best part.

EDIT: And another thing about the series is how unabashedly traditional it is. Some people dislike it for this very reason, but when you have a genre that's existed for 30+ years and has changed and evolved in all sorts of ways, taking in new gameplay and storytelling trends, sometimes it's refreshing to go back to the basics.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 02:37:09 PM by tiesto »
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #5555 on: August 23, 2019, 11:49:19 AM »
2D mode is so fucking wild I can barely wrap my mind around it.

Thinking about it, I've played a couple old school Final Fantasies but I don't think I've ever played a game in the Dragon Quest series. :thinking I always meant to get the remake trilogy on DS (DQ9 didn't seem suuuuper interesting to me), and I've kinda always wanted to play DQ8 since it looked cool and got great reviews.

Will give the DQ11 demo a shot.

From what I played of 11 and reviews in general it’s probably the best game in the series so go for it.

...but afterwards grab your 3ds and pick up the DS 4-6 because they all great.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #5556 on: August 23, 2019, 07:58:36 PM »
Thanks for the DQ replies, I’ll check the demo out

Xonic: I suck at moving my thumbs to and from the joysticks in time when there’s fast groups of notes with button ones in there too, maybe I should figure out some weird way to hold it

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #5557 on: August 23, 2019, 08:02:46 PM »
Holy shit there’s touch controls  :pika

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #5558 on: August 23, 2019, 08:07:50 PM »
The touch controls suck ass :stahp

Tasty

« Reply #5559 on: August 24, 2019, 09:08:05 AM »
I need a big RPG for my Vegas trip and while I've always wanted to try Grandia I can't support mandatory sprite filtering. Dragon Quest 11S it is.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5560 on: August 24, 2019, 10:48:46 AM »
I need a big RPG for my Vegas trip and while I've always wanted to try Grandia I can't support mandatory sprite filtering. Dragon Quest 11S it is.

Dunno how long they take to complete, but on the action-RPG side of things, Bastion and Transistor are on sale right for like $3 and $4 on the eShop.

ど助平

Himu

« Reply #5561 on: August 24, 2019, 11:40:25 AM »

Traditional. Some find this bad. I find it a blessing. Dragon Quest is the anti-Final Fantasy. You know how in FF they scrap EVERYTHING every single game no matter how good the ideas were? They never used X-2's battle system EVER AGAIN despite how awesome it was. Or X's. Or XII's. Every entry has an emphasis on trying to innovate and switch things up to the point where it often feels unnecessary. DQ is not like this. Every game builds upon the one before it. It is highly iterative and features, rather than being nixed entirely, are often taken and improved. For example DQVIII ps2 had an alchemy feature but it had an in-game timer. You'd literally have to wait to finish an item. Well, in IX they took this and made it instant. What this means is that DQ has been doing this for 30 years. What you essentially have is 30 years of traditional rpg perfection. Comfort food is a good comparison. It's basically grandma perfecting that recipe she's done for 30-40 years. Yeah, there's newer dishes available, but no one can cook that one dish as well as grandma. They've perfected a formula.

Personally, I fount XI fucked with that formula and changes too many things but since you are a new player this won't mean shit to you.

While it's not known for it, it also has great storytelling. In DQIV, you play multiple chapters as different party members on their part of the world and then in the final chapter you all meet up and form a party. No one attempted to make an rpg story like that before DQIV. Multiple jrpgs since have tried to copy it, from SaGa games to Suikoden III. Dragon Quest V features one of the most unique narratives in gaming: the story of a boy who grows into a man, gets married, has kids. DQ games often have a vignette story method where stories within the game are often self contained. This makes it perfect for casual play. You can start a town's story, beat it, take a break, and after the break continue to the next town and start an entirely new story. DQ stories are also often handled in very detailed ways despite their simplicity. In DQVII for instance you find a village over filled with poison and every thing - man, woman, dog, cat - has been turned to stone. You're too late  and you couldn't save them. On your journey you find more villages with stoned people and you're left with trying to wonder what happened. DQ tends to take a more subtle approach to its storytelling than other jrpgs which are more in your face.

This is less the case in XI because it has far more cutscenes than any other DQ to date and has a more modern in your face jrpg ethos but for a new DQ player it might still feel refreshing.
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #5562 on: August 24, 2019, 11:45:59 AM »
I’ve actually never played a final fantasy outside of a few minutes with a snes one in an emulator or something but I get what you’re saying, I downloaded the demo last night and I’ll check it out. Sounds pretty accessible and fun

Himu

« Reply #5563 on: August 24, 2019, 11:50:15 AM »
I’ve actually never played a final fantasy outside of a few minutes with a snes one in an emulator or something but I get what you’re saying, I downloaded the demo last night and I’ll check it out. Sounds pretty accessible and fun

If you have played and like Chrono Trigger it's highly likely you'll like DQ. CT basically took DQ and gave it an FF look. CT even has vignettes. Each time period story is self contained for the most part while still having relation to the main plot. DQ is very similar.

Have fun with the demo.

And yes, DQ is accessible. It's targeted to kids in Japan. But it's also deep. It can be as deep or simple as you want it. Or hard or easy. It's a pretty flexible series.
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #5564 on: August 24, 2019, 11:54:09 AM »
Oh hey, yeah Chrono Trigger, there’s an RPG I actually played and liked! Super Mario RPG as well but people look at you funny when you use that as your base experience for RPGs

Himu

« Reply #5565 on: August 24, 2019, 11:58:07 AM »
CT was basically a dream team game of the makers of FF and DQ. The final product can be seen as Final Fantasy x Dragon Quest. The story blueprint was also by Yuji Horii, the maker and writer of DQ. So you're more familiar with DQ than you think. Enjoy.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #5566 on: August 24, 2019, 12:22:39 PM »
You're either gonna like it or you won't. Don't stress over trying to convince yourself. Just know that in most of these games, the early bits are a bit of a slog and it's like "ok great yeah and" and you're just going through the motions. Explore some caves, open some treasure, level up...
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #5567 on: August 24, 2019, 07:10:37 PM »
Yes I would pick FFX/X-2/XII/7/NOT 8 LMAO/9 over DQ11
fat

Himu

« Reply #5568 on: August 24, 2019, 07:44:13 PM »
FFVII would by my choice for first FF. That or IX. X, as much as I love it, doesn’t even have ATB. Imagine liking X and then going to VII or something. VII is the most popular FF, easy as shit, and doesn’t require much commitment.

DQXI is massively long. Even I, a DQ vet that has beaten VII and VIII multiple times, wouldn’t suggest it to someone looking for an rpg unless they know they’re ready to commit.  That said the portable nature of switch should make it better suited. DQ’s formula works extremely well with handhelds. Because of the vignette storytelling it makes getting and out a breeze. So there is that aspect to consider.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #5569 on: August 24, 2019, 08:07:10 PM »
Tbh if I were to suggest how to get into FF to someone interested in 2019 I’d say start with IV and play in order.

Unfortunately my favorite version of IV (psx) isn’t available on Switch. But the ds remake version (also not on switch) is almost as good.

Then do V gba, VI snes, VII HD, VIII HD, IX HD, X HD, XII HD, Tactics. If you really like X give X-2 a shot. If you become a series mega fan play I-III. Preferably I and II psx and III nes. After that you’ve played every FF worth playing barring spin offs like Chocobo’s Mystery Dungeon. The last FF worth playing besides XIV (which is an mmo) was XII.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #5570 on: August 24, 2019, 08:29:55 PM »
Also Grandia II (as is I) is a classic.
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #5571 on: August 25, 2019, 06:08:51 AM »
Fuck FFX and fucking Sin bullshit difficulty spike with no way to go back and level up

Chooky

« Reply #5572 on: August 25, 2019, 06:34:53 AM »
?

there is no point of no return at the end of ffx, and there are a few different special attacks that can beat every regular boss in the the game.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #5573 on: August 25, 2019, 07:03:35 AM »
Grandia II has the best battle system ever.
itm

Chooky

« Reply #5574 on: August 25, 2019, 09:03:06 AM »
i want to love grandia 2 so bad, but the entire game feels like "what if we made lunar 2 but the main character was a gigantic asshole instead?" fun game but man those story scenes were frustrating.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #5575 on: August 25, 2019, 09:52:48 AM »
Ryudo turns into a big pussy in the second half though
fat

Beezy

« Reply #5576 on: August 25, 2019, 01:04:13 PM »
Grandia II has the best battle system ever.
I always mention that Grandia III has a better battle system. Too bad about the rest of the game though.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #5577 on: August 25, 2019, 01:07:19 PM »
I always mention that Grandia III has a better battle system. Too bad about the rest of the game though.
Yeah, I got tired of the game very quickly after protag's mom and her new boyfriend leave the party. 

Tuckers Law

« Reply #5578 on: August 25, 2019, 01:08:32 PM »
I haven’t played Grandia 2 yet, but that only makes me want to play it more.  I wish more games had protagonists that were full-on assholes.

Himu

« Reply #5579 on: August 25, 2019, 01:09:48 PM »
I haven’t played Grandia 2 yet, but that only makes me want to play it more.  I wish more games had protagonists that were full-on assholes.

Play Tales of the Abyss.
IYKYK