Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 943349 times)

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #5580 on: August 26, 2019, 06:28:42 AM »
Grandia II has the best battle system ever.
I always mention that Grandia III has a better battle system. Too bad about the rest of the game though.

I like to forget it ever existed
itm

Rman

« Reply #5581 on: August 26, 2019, 12:05:27 PM »
Surprised that the Astral Chain reviews. I thought it would be good, but not this good review wise. Looking forward to it.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #5582 on: August 26, 2019, 12:07:14 PM »
Surprised that the Astral Chain reviews. I thought it would be good, but not this good review wise. Looking forward to it.

Hope this Astral Chain game is good, or I just wasted 52 eurobucks.

Starting to look like I made the right choice.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #5583 on: August 26, 2019, 12:31:32 PM »

Thought it was a straight up button basher

Seems its a pretty deep game

Bring on the weekend :)

Himu

« Reply #5584 on: August 26, 2019, 12:48:24 PM »
Tbh if I were to suggest how to get into FF to someone interested in 2019 I’d say start with IV and play in order.

Unfortunately my favorite version of IV (psx) isn’t available on Switch. But the ds remake version (also not on switch) is almost as good.

Then do V gba, VI snes, VII HD, VIII HD, IX HD, X HD, XII HD, Tactics. If you really like X give X-2 a shot. If you become a series mega fan play I-III. Preferably I and II psx and III nes. After that you’ve played every FF worth playing barring spin offs like Chocobo’s Mystery Dungeon. The last FF worth playing besides XIV (which is an mmo) was XII.
FFIV is actually really flat mechanically and story-wise, played it recently on my *patched* Vita and was really disappointed.

Final Fantasy is kinda like the Kirby games, there's no order, but each game is unique so you can reaction your way through the games w/ what you want. Some games aren't worth it, others are really approachable, others need some background playing to stomach.

Chronological (imo) would burn me out and leave me not liking the series. Hundreds of hours to get to what you might not like is more of a syllabus chore than fun game playing.

I still think X probably touches most parts of the franchise at a good crossroads.

Which version of FFIV? Not all versions are the same. If you played anything other than hard type. *shrug* FFIV is more mechanically rich than FFX tbh. To explain why FF versions are not equal, I’d suggest playing some of FFI nes, then FFI psx, then FFI advance. Personally, I beat FFI Advanced without dying. It’s very light fare. They did similar with IV. With IV there’s really only hardtype and ds remake imo. The rest are worth playing if you really like FFIV but those two are the best versions. Compare the Tower of Zot to anything in X in terms of resource management, survival, decision making. IV wins. X has more fancy features, a grid, customization. But that doesn’t make it a necessarily better game, even if I prefer it. FFIV also has nothing as bad as chocobo racing, lightning dodging, or butterflies. A lot of FFX is just fluff.

It’s simplistic story wise but it has its moments.

Also I was suggesting it mostly to Spencer who has played CT and Mario RPG so it’ll be more familiar than something like FFX.

Also FFX is a non standard FF. It doesn’t even have ATB. Why would you suggest a non ATB game as someone’s first FF? FFX plays so different to the rest of the franchise. What if they love CTB and the next FF is ATB and they don’t like it as much? What if they don’t like CTB and don’t want to try another FF but haven’t been exposed to ATB?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 01:28:59 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #5585 on: August 26, 2019, 12:50:48 PM »

Yeah, I was picking it up just to support Platinum but I figured it would be another so-so B-team game from them. Sounds like it might be a lot better than that. Also surprised.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5586 on: August 26, 2019, 12:51:42 PM »

Platinum almost always goes a good if not great job.  Absolutely looking forward to this.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #5587 on: August 26, 2019, 12:56:42 PM »

Lol you trust game reviews? In 2019? For a platinum game? I’m sorry but I’ve been weaned after a decade of giving games like godhand a 3/10 to trust game reviews ever again. Watch videos and decide for yourself.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #5588 on: August 26, 2019, 12:57:28 PM »
but they are good reviews lol

Himu

« Reply #5589 on: August 26, 2019, 12:58:10 PM »
Vanquish has a 79 on metacritic and it was the best action game of last gen.

Reviews really mean jack shit.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #5590 on: August 26, 2019, 12:59:40 PM »
ok

Himu

« Reply #5591 on: August 26, 2019, 01:04:26 PM »
I speed read Rman’s comment lol. My bad. My ADHD.  :doge :brain

Astral Chain was my game of E3
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #5592 on: August 26, 2019, 01:06:51 PM »
88 on metacritic with a lot of 90+ reviews

game could be good or it could be the nintendo review site effect, my guess is a mix of both but the game looks quite good. only bummer seems to be 30fps lock

Himu

« Reply #5593 on: August 26, 2019, 01:23:50 PM »
Sounds good but like you said, could be the Nintendo effect. But nothing is honestly convincing me otherwise lol
IYKYK

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #5594 on: August 26, 2019, 01:28:56 PM »
Game reviews and gamers is the most bipolar/borderline relationship possible on this planet. The amount of angst, distrust, and vitriol for game reviews is often embarrasing.

If you read the words and ideas that are in game reviews, they are accurate in discerning how a game plays. Youtube vids provide the same context too.

Like.....

Vanquish is the quintessential 79/100 type of game. I rented the fucking thing day 1, was a temporary world record holder for a chapter  (still got the pic of this!!!!!  :lol). I understand Vanquish's mechanics completely, and to me, its an averagely good game. Not remarkable, not really the best at anything.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/uncharted-3-reviews.448512/

This one thread shows how fanatical and fucking stupid many gamers are regarding reviews, point blank. Think back to Twilight Princess and Kingdom Hearts 2, and how fucking stupid people get over this shit.

OH!

Himu

« Reply #5595 on: August 26, 2019, 01:35:05 PM »
Game reviews and gamers is the most bipolar/borderline relationship possible on this planet. The amount of angst, distrust, and vitriol for game reviews is often embarrasing.

If you read the words and ideas that are in game reviews, they are accurate in discerning how a game plays. Youtube vids provide the same context too.

Like.....

Vanquish is the quintessential 79/100 type of game. I rented the fucking thing day 1, was a temporary world record holder for a chapter  (still got the pic of this!!!!!  :lol). I understand Vanquish's mechanics completely, and to me, its an averagely good game. Not remarkable, not really the best at anything.

This one thread shows how fanatical and fucking stupid many gamers are regarding reviews, point blank. Think back to Twilight Princess and Kingdom Hearts 2, and how fucking stupid people get over this shit.

I’m not using fanthing arguments. The Twilight Princess stuff is not anything I’m talking about.

Game reviews are awful when it comes to niche games. Sites would put people who readily admit they aren’t jrpg fans to review a jrpg. I had to deal with that for 10 years. I stopped reading game reviews altogether.

You’re honestly just showing how narrow the games you like are and more than likely, they’re mainstream tastes. That’s fine and I’m not judging you for it. But gamer distrust of reviews has been earned.

Using the aforementioned IGN review of God Hand as an example.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2006/10/10/god-hand-review

Also disagree on Vanquish. It’s a great game.

Finally, Jade Empire 9.9 never forget. The idea that game reviews are trustworthy is laughable.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #5596 on: August 26, 2019, 01:42:13 PM »
Can you provide examples as to how “This one thread shows how fanatical and fucking stupid many gamers are regarding reviews” from this thread?

Because my vanquish example is pretty mild and hardly fanatical.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5597 on: August 26, 2019, 01:43:51 PM »
Vanquish doesn't matter- per Metacritic, it's 78% on PC, but 84% on PS3 and 360.   That's not shitting on it like what IGN did with Godhand (and later on with Samurai Warriors 3) or Gaming-Age with their C- Ninja Gaiden score. 

This kind of garbage happens with good scores on shit games, too- look at the infamous Bubsy 3D review from PS Xtreme magazine.  Moneyhats?  Clickbait?  Maybe both?  Who knows- but this is why most "professional" reviews don't matter to me.  Even with that stuff aside, you have patches/updates fixing issues (or making things worse on occasion) or things that the reviewers just can't gauge, like how good the online play is in a game before release.

I get way more out of video footage or technical issues being pointed out than anything else.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #5598 on: August 26, 2019, 01:47:01 PM »
Vanquish doesn't matter- per Metacritic, it's 78% on PC, but 84% on PS3 and 360.   That's not shitting on it like what IGN did with Godhand (and later on with Samurai Warriors 3) or Gaming-Age with their C- Ninja Gaiden score. 

This kind of garbage happens with good scores on shit games, too- look at the infamous Bubsy 3D review from PS Xtreme magazine.  Moneyhats?  Clickbait?  Maybe both?  Who knows- but this is why most "professional" reviews don't matter to me.  Even with that stuff aside, you have patches/updates fixing issues (or making things worse on occasion) or things that the reviewers just can't gauge, like how good the online play is in a game before release.

I get way more out of video footage or technical issues being pointed out than anything else.

Remember when Dynasty Warriors reviews would amount to

WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP BUYING THESE GAMES? WHY DO THEY KEEP MAKING THEM? 4.0

And then you have this mother fucker talking about how "gamers distrust of game reviews is bipolar" You must have the most plain jane taste on the mother fucking planet to say that shit.
IYKYK

mormapope

« Reply #5599 on: August 26, 2019, 01:47:32 PM »

Like.....

I’m not using fanthing arguments. The Twilight Princess stuff is not anything I’m talking about.

Game reviews are awful when it comes to niche games. Sites would put people who readily admit they aren’t jrpg fans to review a jrpg. I had to deal with that for 10 years. I stopped reading game reviews altogether.

You’re honestly just showing how narrow the games you like are and more than likely, they’re mainstream tastes. That’s fine and I’m not judging you for it. But gamer distrust of reviews has been earned.

Using the aforementioned IGN review of God Hand as an example.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2006/10/10/god-hand-review

Also disagree on Vanquish. It’s a great game.

Finally, Jade Empire 9.9 never forget. The idea that game reviews are trustworthy is laughable.

My tastes are....I play fucking everything and anything (if I can afford it, important caveat). 8700 hours logged on Xbone alone (admittedly, 4000 hours are youtube).

Your argument is, don't trust ANY publicated reviews. Which, to me, is laughable as a concept. My argument? Read reviews to gain context. That if you spend money on something, will you enjoy it.

OH!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5600 on: August 26, 2019, 01:49:53 PM »
I’m sorry but I’ve been weaned after a decade of giving games like godhand a 3/10 to trust game reviews ever again.

Oh yeah, and this- has been going on perhaps since video game "journalism" became a thing.

Some good videos on it:

ど助平

Himu

« Reply #5601 on: August 26, 2019, 01:52:01 PM »
I never said I don't trust any publicized review. I like some reviewers and sites and stick with them. I also rely on people I trust and word of mouth. You read into my comment too much and just assumed that I never read or watch reviews, which isn't true. The fault is your own. However, I do not trust the bulk of game reviews. Again, putting a non-jrpg fan to review a jrpg was one of the last of many straws.
IYKYK

mormapope

« Reply #5602 on: August 26, 2019, 01:53:13 PM »

And then you have this mother fucker talking about how "gamers distrust of game reviews is bipolar" You must have the most plain jane taste on the mother fucking planet to say that shit.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/lttp-xbox-360-7th-gen-got-any-recommendations.944632/#post-141505276

Deadly Premonition: If you like surreal, goofy, endearing murder mysteries you'll enjoy this game. Heavily inspired by the TV show Twin Peaks, you play as a detective in a open world-esque manner. The gameplay itself is extremely middling to put it lightly, but the narrative pay off is spectacular, along with the characters and humor being endearing. Digital copy is $20, brand new physical copies are a lot more expensive. http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/DEADLY-PREMONITION/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802494f07d4

Binary Domain: The Japanese version of Gears of War with deeper gameplay mechanics, witty and well written characters, bombastic firefights and boss fights, and a really cheesy but awesome narrative. New copies on Amazon should be very cheap.

Tales of Vesperia: A charming and content filled action JRPG with fantastic visuals, good writing, and deep combat. Its like a lot of other Tales games, but its arguably the most polished and well realized. Digital version is $15.

Fallout New Vegas (Ultimate Edition): The best western RPG last gen. Tons of quests, tons of character building options, tons of weapons, wry writing with great characters, tons of outcomes when it comes to quest, generally good quest design. Make sure to get the Ultimate edition, comes with all of the DLC, very cheap, $20 new everywhere 

Suck my fucking hog. I made arguments and stanned for Deadly Premonition and Binary Domain. You back up your arguments with manic group think, I back my shit up with words, and actually playing a wide variety of games.

:yuck
OH!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5603 on: August 26, 2019, 01:53:44 PM »

They still do it- funny that if someone did this with say, Madden, and called it more of the same thing "over and over again," they'd get shat on all over the place.

Here is the IGN SW3 review- got a 3/10.  Even has the "why are they still making these?" line in it.  :lol

https://www.ign.com/articles/2010/09/28/samurai-warriors-3-review

I feel bad for suckering my co-worker into playing Samurai Warriors 3 with me. Until now he'd been spared the drudgery of the various Warriors games, and I was hoping he might enjoy this one for the same reason I'd enjoyed them when they first started coming out in the North America: simple, mindless combat. The problem is that almost nothing has changed about these games over the years. Samurai Warriors 3 is immediately familiar to anyone who's played the previous games and disappointingly dated to newcomers who've never picked up a controller and slogged through this type of boring hack-n-slash "action" game.

Samurai Warriors 3 puts you in control of one of many fantastically re-imagined historical characters from Japan's Warring States (Sengoku) period. Once you select which hero you want to play as, you then work through a number of game modes that either tell part of the story for Japanese unification, tell an idiotic story about demons (Murasame Castle mode), or simply put the player in a level of their choice that they can play for "fun." The modes are different in that they either tell no story or tell vague, poorly written ones with different subject matter, but all the modes boil down to the same core experience.

Every level and mode in Samurai Warriors 3 has pretty much the exact same gameplay the series has been rehashing for years now. Using your ultra-powerful character, you drop into a level full of enemies with almost non-existent A.I., killing hordes of people in an effort to ultimately kill a few hero units. Along the way your characters will level up and you'll unlock various weaponry and armor, but through it all you'll be mashing the same few attack buttons to repeat the same combos over and over, beating your way through enemies with relative impunity. In the last generation of consoles this terrible A.I. was briefly acceptable because it was a spectacle to see so many enemies on screen, but now it's just lazy, uninspired, and not worth the time it takes to play through any of the stages.

Even if you do somehow kid yourself into still thinking you like these games, you'll be disappointed by what you see. Samurai Warriors 3 puts relatively few enemies on screen at any given time. It is downright ugly looking too, with muddy textures and a pretty extreme rate of pop-in that makes it look like enemies are appearing out of thin air. Granted, the overall performance is pretty good and the game experiences very little slow down (even when playing split-screen), but the cost you pay is for an already boring game to have even fewer enemies on screen than what's expected.

If the game was any fun, you'd find a lot of reasons to keep on playing. A large number of characters are unlockable, and you can play through the entire game locally with a friend, or in Murasame Castle mode online (though you can only play missions with someone if you both have progressed up to the point of the selected stage, and you have to re-invite them after each level). So, yeah, there's plenty of game here if you want it. The problem is that you can experience the entirety of what the game has to offer after playing any stage with any character – it's all the same crap repeated ad nauseum.

It’s telling to me that the biggest question that arises when anyone walks by my desk is, “Why are they still making these?” Everyone seems to be in consensus that these games have been chock full of the same boring gameplay for years now, so the only reason I can imagine they’re still making them is the cold hard cash some group of die-hard fans keeps putting in their hands. Somewhere out there, some of you are giving them money to sell you the same game over and over again. If repetition and mindlessness is what you’re looking for in your life, go do some pushups or eat cupcakes till you’re sick – either would be more satisfying than purchasing and playing Samurai Warriors 3.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #5604 on: August 26, 2019, 01:56:29 PM »

Suck my fucking hog. I made arguments and stanned for Deadly Premonition and Binary Domain. You back up your arguments with manic group think, I back my shit up with words, and actually playing a wide variety of games.

Granted, I don't play a great variety of games. These days. But 10 years ago?  :ohyeah

Manic group think? :lol Okay. No one cares, Morma. Go jack off your game reviewers in the corner over there please.

You aren't hot shit. And your argument here is poor and extra inflammatory.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #5605 on: August 26, 2019, 01:59:23 PM »
Bork:

Remember when reviewers shat on Yakuza games because "I thought this going to be Japanese GTA and it wasn't! Wahhhhhhhhhhh" and now they jack off all over the games now?

:rofl
IYKYK

mormapope

« Reply #5606 on: August 26, 2019, 02:00:13 PM »

Granted, I don't play a great variety of games. These days. But 10 years ago?  :ohyeah

Manic group think? :lol Okay. No one cares, Morma. Go jack off your game reviewers in the corner over there please.

My shit is steaming hot, Im cooking game reviewer teardogs over my feces.
OH!

Himu

« Reply #5607 on: August 26, 2019, 02:02:01 PM »

My shit is steaming hot, Im cooking game reviewer teardogs over my feces.

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #5608 on: August 26, 2019, 02:03:30 PM »

They still do it- funny that if someone did this with say, Madden, and called it more of the same thing "over and over again," they'd get shat on all over the place.

Here is the IGN SW3 review- got a 3/10.  Even has the "why are they still making these?" line in it.  :lol

https://www.ign.com/articles/2010/09/28/samurai-warriors-3-review

I feel bad for suckering my co-worker into playing Samurai Warriors 3 with me. Until now he'd been spared the drudgery of the various Warriors games, and I was hoping he might enjoy this one for the same reason I'd enjoyed them when they first started coming out in the North America: simple, mindless combat. The problem is that almost nothing has changed about these games over the years. Samurai Warriors 3 is immediately familiar to anyone who's played the previous games and disappointingly dated to newcomers who've never picked up a controller and slogged through this type of boring hack-n-slash "action" game.

Samurai Warriors 3 puts you in control of one of many fantastically re-imagined historical characters from Japan's Warring States (Sengoku) period. Once you select which hero you want to play as, you then work through a number of game modes that either tell part of the story for Japanese unification, tell an idiotic story about demons (Murasame Castle mode), or simply put the player in a level of their choice that they can play for "fun." The modes are different in that they either tell no story or tell vague, poorly written ones with different subject matter, but all the modes boil down to the same core experience.

Every level and mode in Samurai Warriors 3 has pretty much the exact same gameplay the series has been rehashing for years now. Using your ultra-powerful character, you drop into a level full of enemies with almost non-existent A.I., killing hordes of people in an effort to ultimately kill a few hero units. Along the way your characters will level up and you'll unlock various weaponry and armor, but through it all you'll be mashing the same few attack buttons to repeat the same combos over and over, beating your way through enemies with relative impunity. In the last generation of consoles this terrible A.I. was briefly acceptable because it was a spectacle to see so many enemies on screen, but now it's just lazy, uninspired, and not worth the time it takes to play through any of the stages.

Even if you do somehow kid yourself into still thinking you like these games, you'll be disappointed by what you see. Samurai Warriors 3 puts relatively few enemies on screen at any given time. It is downright ugly looking too, with muddy textures and a pretty extreme rate of pop-in that makes it look like enemies are appearing out of thin air. Granted, the overall performance is pretty good and the game experiences very little slow down (even when playing split-screen), but the cost you pay is for an already boring game to have even fewer enemies on screen than what's expected.

If the game was any fun, you'd find a lot of reasons to keep on playing. A large number of characters are unlockable, and you can play through the entire game locally with a friend, or in Murasame Castle mode online (though you can only play missions with someone if you both have progressed up to the point of the selected stage, and you have to re-invite them after each level). So, yeah, there's plenty of game here if you want it. The problem is that you can experience the entirety of what the game has to offer after playing any stage with any character – it's all the same crap repeated ad nauseum.

It’s telling to me that the biggest question that arises when anyone walks by my desk is, “Why are they still making these?” Everyone seems to be in consensus that these games have been chock full of the same boring gameplay for years now, so the only reason I can imagine they’re still making them is the cold hard cash some group of die-hard fans keeps putting in their hands. Somewhere out there, some of you are giving them money to sell you the same game over and over again. If repetition and mindlessness is what you’re looking for in your life, go do some pushups or eat cupcakes till you’re sick – either would be more satisfying than purchasing and playing Samurai Warriors 3.

Please trust game reviewers. :lol
IYKYK

kingv

« Reply #5609 on: August 26, 2019, 02:07:17 PM »
I need a big RPG for my Vegas trip and while I've always wanted to try Grandia I can't support mandatory sprite filtering. Dragon Quest 11S it is.

Dunno how long they take to complete, but on the action-RPG side of things, Bastion and Transistor are on sale right for like $3 and $4 on the eShop.

I really liked transistor. Super stylish game with a cool story... but it’s only like 5 or 6 hours long.

Himu

« Reply #5610 on: August 26, 2019, 02:20:22 PM »
Remember when Game Informer reviewed Etrian Odyssey and complained "there's no story, I just named my characters FIGHT and HEAL"?

Actual quote: "Lack of story to keep player interest. "I had to give my party members names like "Fight" and "Heal" just so I could recognize who should do what in battle." "

Fuck (most) game journalists. TBH my main publication back in the day, EGM, always (or almost always) gave multiple perspectives on a game. Up to three or four reviewers at one time so you could see multiple accounts. Easily my favorite review format to this day.

edit: TBH the final straw for me was GTAIV. :lol

The stark difference between the press reaction and the player reaction was :rofl :sabu
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 02:27:59 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #5611 on: August 26, 2019, 02:27:29 PM »

Thank God Nintendo rescued the series from itself :rejoice

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm agreeing and making fun of the fact reviewers sang a different tune due to a different coat of paint.
[close]

kingv

« Reply #5612 on: August 26, 2019, 02:28:18 PM »
Astral chain sounds great exactly what I’m looking for from platinum.

It also sounds like this might be a refreshing spin on the combat.

I sometimes think of Platinum as basically having two combat systems, and everything is just a twist on those two things.

Bayonetta/Kora/Transformers/Metal Gear
Vs
Anarchy Reigns/TMNT

And a few they don’t exactly fit those archetypes (w101 for sure, maybe Nier).

I’m hoping this one has enough of a spin to it that it feels fully unique.

Himu

« Reply #5613 on: August 26, 2019, 02:29:41 PM »

I'm agreeing and making fun of the fact reviewers sang a different tune due to a different coat of paint.
[close]

:lol

The press going from

WHY DO THEY KEEP MAKING THESE GAMES

to

WOW I GET IT NOW

was all I needed to know about how serious they take their jobs
IYKYK

mormapope

« Reply #5614 on: August 26, 2019, 02:32:12 PM »

[close]

Well......actually......

Hyrule Warriors is probably one of the best musou games of all time. Dynasty Warriors 9 is considered garbage by people that love that type of game, and it came out way later.

Hyrule Warriors had a good amount of effort put into it, its more than a new coat of paint.
OH!

Himu

« Reply #5615 on: August 26, 2019, 02:35:23 PM »

[close]

Well......actually......

Hyrule Warriors is probably one of the best musou games of all time. Dynasty Warriors 9 is considered garbage by people that love that type of game, and it came out way later.

I thought you made arguments? This isn't an argument. Samurai Warriors 2 is also one of the greatest Musou's of all time. Warriors Orochi 3 is THE greatest Musou of all time. I won't bother looking up the reviews for those. :rofl

Whether Hyrule Warriors is good or not, it got fanboy points. Previous Musou games of or above Hyrule Warriors' quality were previously derided.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #5616 on: August 26, 2019, 02:38:39 PM »
My favorite Musou of all time has a Metacritic of 52.

https://www.metacritic.com/search/all/samurai%20warriors%202/results

Fuck game journos.

If you trust game reviews you've clearly been coddled or have very safe game taste. That's not a controversial opinion.
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #5617 on: August 26, 2019, 03:19:22 PM »
My GOTY has a 67/100 on Metacritic. Who cares?

Edit:

Relax and listen to the song I got my new tag and avatar from.

Himu

« Reply #5618 on: August 26, 2019, 03:59:12 PM »
My GOTY has a 67/100 on Metacritic. Who cares?

Certainly not me, since I don't really look at game reviews besides a few exceptions. We are just arguing the use of game reviews. That is the first time I've ever looked up SW2 on Metacritic.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #5619 on: August 26, 2019, 04:05:08 PM »
Bork:

Remember when reviewers shat on Yakuza games because "I thought this going to be Japanese GTA and it wasn't! Wahhhhhhhhhhh" and now they jack off all over the games now?

i think the "they" is actually different people now. not too many people that reviewed ps2 games are still doing the same job anymore.

mormapope

« Reply #5620 on: August 26, 2019, 04:38:19 PM »
The best scoring system nowadays is buy, rent/wait for a sale, or pass on a game completely. This system ignores quality that's measured on a made up number system.

Like, RE2 Remake and DMC V are both great games. One getting an 8.5 vs. one getting a 9.0, it doesn't fucking matter. Both are games you should buy, unless you don't enjoy the respective genre. If the game reviewer has half a brain, and they typically do, you can figure out if a game is fucked.

Game reviews as a whole would be better if there weren't embargos as well. Along with some reviewers getting a copy late, or having to buy their own copy.
OH!

Himu

« Reply #5621 on: August 26, 2019, 04:40:30 PM »
I think the only time videogame reviews annoy me is when I say I don't like whatever game and thinks it's bad only for someone to say I'm wrong because it has a high MC score. But that's mostly being annoyed at the person for being an idiot.

GTAIV is the best game of all time.

It has a mc score of 98! :expert
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #5622 on: August 26, 2019, 04:49:32 PM »
The best scoring system nowadays is buy, rent/wait for a sale, or pass on a game completely. This system ignores quality that's measured on a made up number system.

Like, RE2 Remake and DMC V are both great games. One getting an 8.5 vs. one getting a 9.0, it doesn't fucking matter. Both are games you should buy, unless you don't enjoy the respective genre. If the game reviewer has half a brain, and they typically do, you can figure out if a game is fucked.

Game reviews as a whole would be better if there weren't embargos as well. Along with some reviewers getting a copy late, or having to buy their own copy.

Who cares about scoring systems beyond turd brain game writers shitting themselves and showing how incompetent they are? Game journalists already made their scoring systems pointless when almost everything was given an 8 or 9. What matters is finding out what's good. Usually watching on youtube or word of mouth is enough to warrant on whether a game is worth buying or not. Only fanthings have, and will ever, care if a game is given an 8.5 instead of a 9.0.
IYKYK

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #5623 on: August 26, 2019, 05:01:36 PM »
Who cares about scoring systems beyond turd brain game writers shitting themselves and showing how incompetent they are?
A surprising amount of people? Did you delete every fan reaction to reviews (more accurately, the number) from your mind?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5624 on: August 26, 2019, 05:02:38 PM »
Game reviews are basically dressed up buyer's guides. No need to trust them or have  vitriolic reactions to them. Most of the time they won't matter to you if you've been into videogames for two decades and have played a bunch of shit.

And yet, people still do.  All the time.  Going to GameFAQs is like a timewarp back 20 years.  :lol

My favorite Musou of all time has a Metacritic of 52.

https://www.metacritic.com/search/all/samurai%20warriors%202/results

Fuck game journos.

If you trust game reviews you've clearly been coddled or have very safe game taste. That's not a controversial opinion.

And this is part of the problem.  Samurai Warriors 2 with that low score?  Fuck outta here with that garbage.  Then something that has problems like Warriors All-Stars comes out and you wouldn't know that it's worse than the previous game.  Or like how Warriors Orochi 4, while good, isn't as good as WO3 Ultimate was.  They can't bother or even know what to point out.  And let's not even get started on fighting game reviews.

BTW, Warriors Orochi 4 is rumored to be getting a big DLC update or new version.  Maybe that will improve it to be better than WO3. :hyper

[close]

Well......actually......

Hyrule Warriors had a good amount of effort put into it, its more than a new coat of paint.

Yes, HW is indeed awesome.  Good mix of musou and Zelda gameplay- if you haven't played the Switch version, it's not just better because of the DLC all being there, but also because it adds in the strategy element of controlling multiple characters at once (from the 3DS port, which itself was taken from Samurai Warriors Chronicles).  I like its "sequel," Fire Emblem Warriors, a lot too, and am wondering if the "Isekai Musou" that got announced is going to be the third game in this style. :thinking

Dynasty Warriors 9 was mixed right from the start and largely remains that way.  They tried something new and have also been improving it steadily since the game released.  That's great- my problem with it is them adding content like new weapons and fucking charging money for it.  That's where they lost me and I sold the game off.  I think at this point the DLC is like $200 worth of shit, which is a Koei-Tecmo staple.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 05:06:57 PM by bork »
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #5625 on: August 26, 2019, 05:08:44 PM »
Who cares about scoring systems beyond turd brain game writers shitting themselves and showing how incompetent they are?
A surprising amount of people? Did you delete every fan reaction to reviews (more accurately, the number) from your mind?

Nope.

This is still fresh.

This is why I don't really take game writers seriously besides a select few (Parish, Gerstmann, some Oscar fella).
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5626 on: August 26, 2019, 05:15:24 PM »
I use game reviews if I have doubts about games or I look for certain red flags like difficulty.

For example, when I read that Yoshi's Crafted World had a very low docked resolution and was easy as hell it quickly went to the 'bargain someday' list.
Especially when the Nintendo fan sites put their defenses in the review, I've learned to stay away. Other than that I just play what I want and like.

Overall, gaming has become fairly risk free (especially with the big publishers). There was a time when a GameCube port could be utterly broken or a game could have controls or camera systems that barely functioned.
These days 99% of the releases are solid from a functional level and it's all about what type of games you feel like playing.

The only big publisher that still releases utterly broken games from time to time is EA.
🤴

Himu

« Reply #5627 on: August 26, 2019, 05:26:19 PM »
My biggest problem with game writers is misinformation. Like in the Fire Emblem thread we're reading and posting previews/impressions of the game.

And then I post a US Gamer preview which says:

If you loved the intricate maps and hardcore tactics of Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest, you won't really find them in Three Houses, at least not where I am in the story. This is a tactics game that's as much about grinding as it is about strategy.

In Three Houses, there is no Weapon Triangle.

Personally, I'd rather Three Houses focus on top-quality map design than building overpowered characters who can brute force their way through maps.

But this just might be where Fire Emblem is now. Three Houses makes no bones about putting character customization first.

When the actual battles come, you can pretty easily travel in one big ball of death and grind your way to the boss.

But then the Kotaku preview says:

It is within abilities that you’ll find the familiar Fire Emblem concept of the weapons triangle, which is a rock/paper/scissors-esque delineation of which weapons are strong or weak against others. As characters gain mastery at certain types of weapons, they’ll sometimes earn abilities that make them stronger against particular weapons. If your axe-wielding character has learned the ability Lancebreaker, it’s probably a good idea to equip that before any battle where you know there will be a lot of enemy lance users.

Like this person got paid to spout complete misinformation. And you're using these preview precisely for their information.

It makes navigating game writing a thick, milky soup of what the fuck especially if you're talking about games with mechanical depth.

This goes beyond reviews, unfortunately.

And never forget, it was game journos who demanded an easy mode for Sekiro because "this is ableist to make a game people with disabilities can't play" because they struggled to beat the game.
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #5628 on: August 26, 2019, 05:57:48 PM »
So is Astral Chain good or what?

kingv

« Reply #5629 on: August 26, 2019, 06:00:54 PM »
There’s basically like only two or three sites I feel like I can rely on for reviews.

Metro gaming has great reviews and is low key my favorite gaming site even though it’s just like the entertainment section of a British tabloid. It also has the best interviews. There’s one guy that does E3 interviews and he actually challenges people on their PR claims.

PC Gamer I still think gives honest reviews.... even if they are kind of dry

Dunkey

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #5630 on: August 26, 2019, 06:53:10 PM »
i agree with all of that 100%, these days i'll just watch a gb quick look over any review and even then i recognize those guys don't matter either.  :lol so fuck a review tbh.

but cyberpunk better get good reviews or else :maf

Himu

« Reply #5631 on: August 26, 2019, 06:54:18 PM »
I know they don’t matter. Everything I’ve described is why no one takes them seriously anymore. However, they are still a source of prime information. They’re gatekeepers of that information, which is their only real asset these days, and yet still manage to fuck spreading it as seen in the prior Fire Emblem example.

I think it’s better to say game journalists don’t matter as far as review go these days. They still matter when it comes to hot scoops and previews.

This is mattering less as more you tubers, streamers, et al are given personal play time with previews but game journalists still have the upper hand due to having a relationship with publishers and developers for years.

Also I’m genuinely not mad. I’m just expressing a frustrating topic for me.
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #5632 on: August 26, 2019, 07:33:33 PM »
Reviews hyping the shit out of Dragon Quest Buildings 2, even though it is the most braindead game I've ever played. Mix the worst modern Nintendo-tier handholding with the worst kind of mobile game gating. I've never played anything that respects the player's intelligence and abilities so little. Okami is freedom heaven compared to it.

85%

Because of course, that's who reviews games professionally  :juicy

« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 07:40:48 PM by Spieler1 »

paprikastaude

« Reply #5633 on: August 26, 2019, 07:50:13 PM »
How to interpret MC at first glance. 70-100%: could be good. Below 70; Likely shit.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5634 on: August 26, 2019, 08:04:50 PM »
ど助平

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #5635 on: August 26, 2019, 09:00:11 PM »
Aw fuck I will eat that up like such a mark

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #5636 on: August 26, 2019, 09:01:28 PM »
Lol Tracer as just another fox clone in Smash, bet

Tasty

« Reply #5637 on: August 26, 2019, 10:12:27 PM »

Himu

IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #5639 on: August 26, 2019, 10:26:32 PM »
Lol that's actually a PS4 screenshot but c'mon, it's coming to Switch and that's where most of us will be playing it.