Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 940848 times)

Himu

Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #5820 on: September 03, 2019, 02:05:12 PM »
All too common with Mario now where you have to beat the game to get a challenge. Odyssey is great besides that though. :)
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #5821 on: September 03, 2019, 02:24:45 PM »

Damn.

I’m eating massive crow with Mario Odyssey. So glad my skepticism was proven wrong.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5822 on: September 03, 2019, 02:38:14 PM »
:bow Switch :bow2

:lawd
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #5823 on: September 03, 2019, 02:48:00 PM »
This level, Steam Garden, is better than pretty much all of 3D Land.

It’s fucking sick.

I love how I can test the game and push it. Like I’ll see these onion dudes and there’s moving platforms on the side. But I see on the other end there’s another part of the level. It’s far very though. So I tried it out and transformed into the onion, got some air, hat jumped, and made it across. And then that fucking awesome music was playing. There’s so many rewarding 3d platforming “how do I get there??” in this level and I’m seeing my skills and curiosity rewarded.

I have NO IDEA what the regular way into this part of the level is. I have no idea if my way is even the regular way. And that’s why Mario Odyssey is so damn good. :lawd

Steam Gardens :jeb
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5824 on: September 03, 2019, 03:21:57 PM »
Switch is pretty easily my favorite Nintendo console since the Gamecube, it just keeps racking up a stellar library.

The Wii started strong but fell off pretty quick. Wii U...lol. Gamecube had some droughts and though it had good games, few felt like top titles in their respective series.

Switch has been going pretty strong from the start, probably helps that they're not splitting their time between console and handheld like they did in the past. It's my favorite Nintendo system since the N64.
dog

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #5825 on: September 03, 2019, 03:27:05 PM »
Agreed
püp

Himu

« Reply #5826 on: September 03, 2019, 03:27:43 PM »
Finally! New Donk City!!

Odyssey definitely has the “I want to play this all day” bug like Galaxy did and Galaxy is a top 5 game!

Edit: I guess no new donk city yet :(
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 03:33:36 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

kingv

« Reply #5827 on: September 03, 2019, 04:09:45 PM »
I feel like switch started as god tier first year gaming library, slowed down a lot in year 2, and is ramping back up again now.

I’m not a huge smash or Pokémon fan though.

But presumably 2020 will have Bayo 3.

Tasty

« Reply #5828 on: September 03, 2019, 04:12:42 PM »
I feel like switch started as god tier first year gaming library, slowed down a lot in year 2, and is ramping back up again now.

I’m not a huge smash or Pokémon fan though.

But presumably 2020 will have Bayo 3.

2020 might have Bayo and 2021 could have Prime 4. Plus Pokemon remakes and Breath of the Wild 2 somewhere in those years as well.

The unified handheld/console development process Nintendo adopted before the Switch is paying off so well I'm not really seeing much opportunity for future droughts until looooong into its lifetime.

Himu

« Reply #5829 on: September 03, 2019, 04:12:59 PM »
Yeah I’m not big on poke or smash so this was a good year, combined with the upgrade, to pick one up.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #5830 on: September 03, 2019, 04:15:31 PM »
If the Switch is the last old-style Nintendo console and they switch to the iPhone model of running the same "apps" while upgrading the chipset every so often... I'd be OK.

Then make Smash and Animal Crossing evergreen with regular free updates and paid DLC, and baby, you got a stew goin'.

Becoming a gaming hermit. 8)

kingv

« Reply #5831 on: September 03, 2019, 04:23:49 PM »
I don’t think there were any periods for switch I would call a full on drought... imo it had more steady releases in the first 18 months than either X1/PS4, just they really hit  new entries on a lot of their big franchises in year 1, so year 2 had quite a few B-tier stuff.

Now that switch is proving popular, it seems Japanese 3rd parties and indies are now onboard to flesh out the library too, which helps a lot.

Tasty

« Reply #5832 on: September 03, 2019, 04:47:10 PM »
Yeah so far it's been

Year 1: Nintendo's AAA franchises and some Wii U ports
Year 2: More Wii U ports and some A-/B+ tier franchises, also a good uptick in western third-party support
Year 3: Weird new shit and indie stuff (and sometimes both together), smaller Japanese devs finally getting on board
Year 4: ???

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #5833 on: September 03, 2019, 04:53:19 PM »
Cindi, buy superbeat: xonic while it’s still 89¢ it’s a fun rhythm game :)

Himu

« Reply #5834 on: September 03, 2019, 06:39:40 PM »
DAMN

New Donk City when you’ve mastered hat jump -> throw hat -> dive again is a GODLIKE Mario level. Jumping across damn buildings and shit grabbing purple coins.

This is so fun!!
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #5835 on: September 03, 2019, 06:59:20 PM »
Got Jump Rope Genius on first try without really trying. I looked up to see if I got all the moons from that jump rope game and apparently struggled with that? My fighting game reflexes :jeb
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5836 on: September 03, 2019, 07:03:30 PM »
Yeah so far it's been

Year 1: Nintendo's AAA franchises and some Wii U ports
Year 2: More Wii U ports and some A-/B+ tier franchises, also a good uptick in western third-party support
Year 3: Weird new shit and indie stuff (and sometimes both together), smaller Japanese devs finally getting on board
Year 4: ???
The Legend of Zelda: BOTW2 to put up against the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Yeet
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5837 on: September 03, 2019, 07:32:07 PM »
Question for anyone who has played Pokemon Let's Go.

My kids (5 and 7) generally don't play games, but after watching the Detective Pikachu movie, they are a little excited about playing Pokemon. I'm not a Pokeguy, so should I wait until Sword and Shield, or would it be better to go with Let's Go as an "easy" introduction?
Spud

Himu

« Reply #5838 on: September 03, 2019, 07:40:51 PM »
List of video games that made me cry:

Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy X
Suikoden II
Super Mario Odyssey

:tocry
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #5839 on: September 03, 2019, 07:43:18 PM »

My kids (5 and 7) generally don't play games, but after watching the Detective Pikachu movie, they are a little excited about playing Pokemon. I'm not a Pokeguy, so should I wait until Sword and Shield, or would it be better to go with Let's Go as an "easy" introduction?

Yes yes yes. Let's Go will be much easier for them to grok. Be a cool dad and spring for the $40/each Pokeball Plus controllers too, so they can bring the starter on the go and form a lifetime of memories. :heart Bonus dad points for getting them opposite versions. :heartbeat

Some parts may need coaching (gym leaders, puzzles, story points) but they should have no problem roaming around and doing random battles, filling their Pokedexes as they dream of being the very best, like no one ever was...

Sorry, this brought nostalgia back for me. :lol Despite my misgivings of Let's Go, it's a warm feeling to imagine kids outside my generation experiencing Kanto like I did. For the record, I had a few problems back in the day playing Blue at 7, but twenty years later Nintendo and Game Freak have both mastered the art of handholding, so I don't think they'll have too many issues.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #5840 on: September 03, 2019, 07:43:39 PM »
I replayed a few classic Zelda games afterwards and finding any magic wand or shield was way more satisfying than pretty much all the findings in BotW, be it the billionth arrow or orb, some lame ass fetch quest, the x-th "beat the robot" chamber or just badly textured emptiness. This is still a poor genre that's too bloated to have proper level design. Botw's success was that it was able to mask that fact a bit longer than other open world games, because it at least dropped icon clutter. I appreciate that they stopped rehashing the same formula, but for the new one there's plenty of room to improve.

yes.

like cindi, i was hyperbolically engrossed in the game at the beginning. going "off script" to gerudo desert with only stamina improvements, finding the comet, everything felt mysterious. they did a really good job of improving the facade covering the generic nature of the open world, and the gameplay hooks were good enough to keep me playing 'til the end. but there are def a lot of things they could improve on in the sequel. it's not even close to a perfect game.

edit: im being hypercritical here, i did really love BoTW in many ways. i generally just dislike really large open worlds, but BoTW is up there with MGSV in my favourite use of open spaces. it actually makes sense that it is an open world game. just, the hyperbole surrounding the game also makes me rolleyes a bit.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 07:53:31 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5841 on: September 03, 2019, 07:51:30 PM »

Yes yes yes. Let's Go will be much easier for them to grok. Be a cool dad and spring for the $40/each Pokeball Plus controllers too, so they can bring the starter on the go and form a lifetime of memories. :heart Bonus dad points for getting them opposite versions. :heartbeat

Some parts may need coaching (gym leaders, puzzles, story points) but they should have no problem roaming around and doing random battles, filling their Pokedexes as they dream of being the very best, like no one ever was...

(Image removed from quote.)

Sorry, this brought nostalgia back for me. :lol Despite my misgivings of Let's Go, it's a warm feeling to imagine kids outside my generation experiencing Kanto like I did. For the record, I had a few problems back in the day playing Blue at 7, but twenty years later Nintendo and Game Freak have both mastered the art of handholding, so I don't think they'll have too many issues.
How does the Pokeball work on the go? DO you need to connect it to a phone via Pokemon Go or something?
Spud

Tasty

« Reply #5842 on: September 03, 2019, 08:26:43 PM »
How does the Pokeball work on the go? DO you need to connect it to a phone via Pokemon Go or something?

It pairs via Bluetooth to Let's Go on Switch or Go on a smartphone -- you can pair one or both.

In Let's Go, while playing in docked or tabletop mode it can acts as a Joy-Con in Pokeball form. Let's Go's controls are optimized for one-handed use in these modes, to the extent the Pro Controller isn't compatible at all (grumble grumble...)

The Plus also let's you take Pikachu or Eevee (your starter) from the game to the Pokeball Plus itself. When you do so, you can shake the device to hear the Pokemon make its sound (the device rumbles too.) It also acts as a pedometer, so the idea is you take it everywhere and rake in the in-game items while your starter goes "Pika Pika!" from inside its Pokeball.

Speaking of, each Plus also comes with a free Mew. Yup, straight up giving away a mythical legendary to juice sales.

It'll also be compatible with Sword and Shield in some way, so forwards compatibility won't be an issue (for now...) It's not really useful as a controller for other games, though.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5843 on: September 03, 2019, 08:55:26 PM »
Yeah I’m not big on poke or smash so this was a good year, combined with the upgrade, to pick one up.

Might want to check them out.  Dat SWITCH EFFECT might make you convert!
:phil
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5844 on: September 03, 2019, 09:13:24 PM »
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #5845 on: September 03, 2019, 09:20:40 PM »

Def getting smash
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5846 on: September 03, 2019, 09:23:42 PM »

Def getting smash

You can play the Jump Up Superstar theme in Smash on the New Donk City level
:lawd
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5847 on: September 03, 2019, 09:26:55 PM »

:bowsette
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #5848 on: September 03, 2019, 09:44:55 PM »
Coincidentally hit r/piano 2 hours ago...

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5849 on: September 03, 2019, 10:04:33 PM »
https://twitter.com/Stealth40k/status/1168992579557441540
:thinking

Xenoblade and Xenoblade X ports for the Switch have been a pretty obvious move for Nintendo for a long time now. Monolith is definitely working on a new game, but I doubt we'll see anything from it anytime soon.
dog

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #5850 on: September 03, 2019, 10:08:46 PM »
Going to make a guess and say Super Mario 3D World is going to get ported. Mario Maker 2 felt like a trial balloon for it.
🍆🍆

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5851 on: September 03, 2019, 10:22:05 PM »

:asuka
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5852 on: September 03, 2019, 10:27:03 PM »
Going to make a guess and say Super Mario 3D World is going to get ported. Mario Maker 2 felt like a trial balloon for it.

I expect we'll end up seeing just about everything Nintendo released for the Wii U eventually get released on Switch.  OK by me- just want them to release a few more ports and I can ditch the thing.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Memories

[close]
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #5853 on: September 03, 2019, 10:36:42 PM »
Wii U fans who complain about Wii U ports are the worst. Yes you expect Nintendo to keep those games on Wii U, a system that did - I believe - worse than the GameCube.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5854 on: September 03, 2019, 10:41:49 PM »
Wii U has got to be their second-worst selling system behind the Virtual Boy.
ど助平

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5855 on: September 03, 2019, 11:26:49 PM »
Wii U fans who complain about Wii U ports are the worst. Yes you expect Nintendo to keep those games on Wii U, a system that did - I believe - worse than the GameCube.
Never understood that mentality. What is there to complain about? If you want to play it again, go ahead, if you don't, then leave it. It's not like the porting of those games took any significant resources away from the development of new games.
Spud

Tuckers Law

« Reply #5856 on: September 03, 2019, 11:40:47 PM »
Agreed.  I consider myself a Wii U apologist and have no problem with it, in fact they should port their entire Wii U catalog, it had lots of amazing games that deserve a wider audience.
However: I will say that I wish Nintendo would get their fucking digital library shit together, I’m not rebuying my virtual console games again after getting them for Wii, paying the Wii U tax on them for sometimes worse emulation, AND repaying for some that were also available on 3DS.  Fuck that noise.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5857 on: September 03, 2019, 11:48:43 PM »
Nobody is making you buy video games.  If you don't like a port...don't buy it.  I can understand complaining about ports getting released instead of new games, but not whining about it because you're stupid and feel offended that your vidya are being re-released on another platform.

However: I will say that I wish Nintendo would get their fucking digital library shit together, I’m not rebuying my virtual console games again after getting them for Wii, paying the Wii U tax on them for sometimes worse emulation, AND repaying for some that were also available on 3DS.  Fuck that noise.

Never going to happen.  Maybe going forward we'll see something good happen with this since they have an actual account system for game purchases now...but I doubt it.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #5858 on: September 04, 2019, 12:16:40 AM »
Yeah so. Today’s my day off.

I played games ALL DAY. Aside from cooking dinner, taking a walk, and stretching and pacing around every hour (because it’s good for you), I sat on my couch and played my Switch ALL DAY. I have not done that with vidya in so long. Omg I missed you, my old hobby :uguu

SWITCH :jeb

Never understood that mentality. What is there to complain about? If you want to play it again, go ahead, if you don't, then leave it. It's not like the porting of those games took any significant resources away from the development of new games.

I’d love XBX without having to buy a Wii U for it.

IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #5859 on: September 04, 2019, 02:11:38 AM »
Still pulling for those Zelda HDmake ports and Skyward Sword to top them off as a trilogy, complete with normal controller option.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5860 on: September 04, 2019, 02:44:31 AM »
Still pulling for those Zelda HDmake ports and Skyward Sword to top them off as a trilogy, complete with normal controller option.

I might actually play Skyward Sword if there were a normal controller option rather than just leaving it on the shelf. I think by the time SS came out, motion control fatigue had really set in.
Spud

Himu

« Reply #5861 on: September 04, 2019, 03:01:14 AM »
Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register.

Beating Mario Odyssey in less than two days is pretty :obama
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 03:05:33 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5862 on: September 04, 2019, 04:55:05 AM »
Odyssey is pretty fucking amazing. No one makes games like that any more.
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5863 on: September 04, 2019, 07:05:17 AM »

How do you find the time to put in 20-30 gaming hours in 2 days.

:idont
🤴

kingv

« Reply #5864 on: September 04, 2019, 07:50:58 AM »
All I want to be ported is Wonderful 101 since that's the only Kamiya game I never got to play. Saw an LP of it that made it look really inventive and fun.

It’s a really weird game. The fighting system is really unique but also really fidgety. But high level play is still possible. I was able to beat it but never got particularly good.

It suffers the Kamiya problem of having too many weird arcade stages. There is a punch out one that is pretty decent, but the others kind of drag. The end boss is really good though.

And actually it is the game that most reminds me of Astral Chain. You use the right stick to like position your dudes sort of like how you move the legion.

Wii U had some great games, it’s good we are getting them on switch imo. There was a time in 2015 where I actually had more Wii U games than Xbox one and PS4 combined, and spent more time playing it.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #5865 on: September 04, 2019, 08:33:16 AM »
Odyssey is pretty fucking amazing. No one makes games like that any more.

Remember when people said single player games are dead, which then Odyssey sold like 10 million copies in a few weeks? Good times.
🍆🍆

kingv

« Reply #5866 on: September 04, 2019, 09:52:08 AM »
One good thing about Trump getting elected is that single player games stopped being dead shortly after.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5867 on: September 04, 2019, 09:54:09 AM »
I think it was mostly just EA that said single-player games were dead.
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5868 on: September 04, 2019, 10:25:57 AM »

This- it was EA. 

LOL, EA. :teehee
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #5869 on: September 04, 2019, 10:38:03 AM »

I might actually play Skyward Sword if there were a normal controller option rather than just leaving it on the shelf. I think by the time SS came out, motion control fatigue had really set in.

I highly doubt that would happen. So much of the game is motion controls that it would a hell of a long conversion to make it somehow work.

Too bad too, underneath all that padding is some good dungeons and sequences.

The only thing that couldn't be mapped to a button press is Link's sword swings because of enemy behavior, but that's totally doable on a normal controller (see also, Metal Gear Rising.)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5870 on: September 04, 2019, 10:46:08 AM »
Skyward Sword with a regular controller is definitely doable- people have already made it work with 360 controllers using Dolphin.

So glad that waggle controls are pretty much a dead thing.  Hated that shit in 99% of the games that had them.
ど助平

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #5871 on: September 04, 2019, 10:50:26 AM »
What's more likely in the direct, a new Mario Kart, or a new Advance Wars?
:O

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5872 on: September 04, 2019, 10:53:37 AM »
Neither...?
ど助平

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #5873 on: September 04, 2019, 11:00:34 AM »
I expect only suffering in the direct, hopefully tears as well.

Himu

« Reply #5874 on: September 04, 2019, 11:29:25 AM »

How do you find the time to put in 20-30 gaming hours in 2 days.

:idont

Yesterday was my day off. I played Mario all day besides a walk and cooking dinner. Technically it’s one day as I got the game at like 11 pm after work.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #5875 on: September 04, 2019, 11:41:26 AM »
What's more likely in the direct, a new Mario Kart, or a new Advance Wars?

Advance Wars. I don't think they'll announce a new Mario Kart until their next system, and who knows when that will be.

Would love another DLC pack for 8DX though, especially battle stages.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #5876 on: September 04, 2019, 11:44:07 AM »
Overwatch switch leaked by a euro retailer for next month, noice

Himu

« Reply #5877 on: September 04, 2019, 11:47:14 AM »
Holy shit.

The luncheon kingdom is incredible. Such a great spin on a  fire level. The golden rule of Mario is don’t touch the fire/magma. Well here comes a game that throws the rules out the window and says TOUCH ALL THE MATMA!! The exploration is :delicious and the  tight platforming demands in this level are :jeb

This is the level that made me realize,”this has potential to eclipse Galaxy.”

But we’ll see.
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5878 on: September 04, 2019, 11:48:00 AM »

This- it was EA. 

LOL, EA. :teehee

spoiler (click to show/hide)
And Oscar(pbuh).
[close]
©@©™

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #5879 on: September 04, 2019, 12:12:20 PM »
___