Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 942146 times)

BisMarckie

Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #6780 on: September 24, 2019, 09:22:38 PM »
So I'm replaying Super Metroid on switch and the controls kinda suck and now I sorta see the benefit of that SNES controller. On the portable mode & pro controller the placement of select which changes missiles is really out of the way and makes that a pain in the ass.

Yeah, same for punchout on the NES app, some of these games don't translate well to the joycons. The low latency is nice though. :larry

Chooky

« Reply #6781 on: September 24, 2019, 09:34:29 PM »
super metroid is one of the rare nintendo games that has customizable controls, at least. but i do hate using the minus button for anything, because it's in such a terrible position and is so damn small.

Bebpo

« Reply #6782 on: September 24, 2019, 09:36:26 PM »
super metroid is one of the rare nintendo games that has customizable controls, at least. but i do hate using the minus button for anything, because it's in such a terrible position and is so damn small.

Wait, it does? I looked in the start menu but didn't see an option. Will check the title screen.

Anyhow, ordered the 8bitdo SN30 Pro+, hopefully I like this one better than the last 8bitdo controller I got for the SNES Mini.

Bebpo

« Reply #6783 on: September 25, 2019, 12:00:23 AM »
Oh wow, the control customization on super metroid really helps here. Switched shot to Y, jump to B, dash to A and missile select to X and plays so.much.better on the Switch layout with this. I normally don't replay games, but haven't beat Super Metroid in forever and having it portable is a nice excuse to do another run through one of my favorite metroidvanias.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #6784 on: September 25, 2019, 08:35:01 AM »
This goon just called Super Metroid a metroidvania

Bitch there was no "vania" in metroidvania then

Come get these hands
fat

paprikastaude

« Reply #6785 on: September 25, 2019, 11:24:23 AM »
Oh wow, the control customization on super metroid really helps here. Switched shot to Y, jump to B, dash to A and missile select to X and plays so.much.better on the Switch layout with this. I normally don't replay games, but haven't beat Super Metroid in forever and having it portable is a nice excuse to do another run through one of my favorite metroidvanias.

dash on a shoulder button will change everything
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 11:41:44 AM by Spieler1 »

Himu

« Reply #6786 on: September 25, 2019, 12:08:38 PM »
MMX also allows the ability to change buttons. Dash on L like Spieler said is :delicious
IYKYK

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #6787 on: September 25, 2019, 12:23:33 PM »
spoken with the better half, I can get a switch lite, with heavy hints she'll get me a full fat one for Christmas.

:success

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6788 on: September 25, 2019, 12:53:14 PM »
spoken with the better half, I can get a switch lite, with heavy hints she'll get me a full fat one for Christmas.

:mindblown

Just get Switch fat: red box edition now.
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #6789 on: September 25, 2019, 12:54:20 PM »
i wish i could get a full fat one for christmas
fat

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #6790 on: September 25, 2019, 02:10:42 PM »

:mindblown

Just get Switch fat: red box edition now.

I'm travelling a lot with work in the next few months and the lite being well lite and smaller is just easier for me.

Plus if I just get the full fat when I go away I'll get bitched at for taking it. as she only really plays Nintendo stuff as it's cute and not violent.

She's of legal age, not a squid I swear.

Bebpo

« Reply #6791 on: September 25, 2019, 11:17:36 PM »
This goon just called Super Metroid a metroidvania

Bitch there was no "vania" in metroidvania then

Come get these hands

:-[

I mean you're right, but I'm gonna keep calling it a metroidvania, just because.

Bebpo

« Reply #6792 on: September 26, 2019, 10:21:38 PM »
Got that 8bitdo SN30 Pro+ thing. D-pad & buttons are pretty much the same as the SF30 Snes pad I have from them. Still hard d-pad and hard buttons compared to official SFC/SNES controller.

Still after trying it on a bunch of stuff, it's pretty much better than the official Switch Pro Controller in almost every way. So when playing Switch on the TV this is gonna be my go to controller for sure.
But in terms of good d-pads lately. The Genesis Mini d-pad >> Dual Shock 4 d-pad > Official SNES mini d-pad > 8bitdo d-pad ->> Joy-con d-pad >> Switch Pro Controller d-pad.

I'm sure some of you will bark at DS4 over a Snes controller, but I find the DS4 split d-pad way easier to do diagonals than on the cross. Also easier for taps like menus and F,F imo.
But fuck, these Genesis controllers are so damn nice. Forgot what a real nice d-pad was.

Himu

« Reply #6793 on: September 26, 2019, 10:22:52 PM »
d-pad is the main reason i want a dedicated 2d controller. glad I didn't get the 8bitdo and that reports of a hard d-pad were right.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #6794 on: September 27, 2019, 05:03:56 AM »
Fuck, input lag is real. Spent 20 mins stuck on the part where you have to wall jump consecutively in Super Metroid and could not pull it off consistently and then switched to portable and I could wall jump no problem :|
Also damn, when you can wall jump on a dime it definitely sequence breaks stuff in this game. Just got the Gravity Suit in the wrecked ship. For the most part the game is still holding up very addictingly (it's 2am and haven't been able to find a good stopping point last 2 hours), but some stuff definitely feels a bit dated compared to the more modern takes on the formula.

Occam

« Reply #6795 on: September 27, 2019, 06:50:52 AM »
I'm sure some of you will bark at DS4 over a Snes controller, but I find the DS4 split d-pad way easier to do diagonals than on the cross.

I completely agree, which is why I recommended getting a Mayflash Magic-NS and playing Switch with a DS4.
In handheld mode Hori Split Pad Pro is now the best there is.

And while I don't have a Genesis mini, I presume it's the same D-pad as Saturn/6 Button Genesis pad? Saturn is as good as it gets.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6796 on: September 27, 2019, 10:20:32 AM »
d-pad is the main reason i want a dedicated 2d controller. glad I didn't get the 8bitdo and that reports of a hard d-pad were right.

Try the M30.   :)  Worth trying out these pads since you can just mark them as defective and return to Amazon for a full refund/paid shipping label if you don't like them!

Not a hard d-pad and is incredibly comfortable.  They're releasing a version that will work on the Genesis Mini next month...that's a lock!

Also with 8bitdo SNES style pads...it depends on the style you get.  Slightly different d-pads depending on if it's SNES, Gameboy, etc.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 11:27:02 AM by bork »
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6797 on: September 27, 2019, 11:30:02 AM »

:thinking
©@©™

Svejk

« Reply #6798 on: September 27, 2019, 12:07:40 PM »
Jesus that thing is hideous.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
I like it
[close]

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6799 on: September 27, 2019, 12:57:55 PM »
Thought that was fake...it's not!  :lol

I would totally buy that for a little "pocketable" gamepad to have for emulation stuff.
ど助平

Tuckers Law

« Reply #6800 on: September 27, 2019, 01:42:11 PM »
S-X toggle?

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #6801 on: September 27, 2019, 02:05:05 PM »
Switch-Xinput (for Win, Android)

I assume S does Dinput, too.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #6802 on: September 27, 2019, 02:07:13 PM »
That makes sense, I was wondering is the X was for xinput.

Himu

« Reply #6803 on: September 29, 2019, 02:38:25 AM »
Ordered the Genesis controller for pc/switch. Hope the d-pad is good.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6804 on: September 29, 2019, 02:11:00 PM »
That Lite controller is already pre-sold out. :dizzy
ど助平

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #6805 on: September 29, 2019, 03:05:43 PM »
Just sold Astral Chains, made it halfy but I don't see myself getting back into it after Zelda. Game is cool, but the actual combat and action stages don't really click with me. If this was a TPS I'd def finish it.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #6806 on: September 30, 2019, 02:18:59 AM »
Original Necrodancer and Transistor are like 4 bucks. Grabbing both since the Switch is clearly the "Get caught up on old shit on the train" box for me. (Just finished Dragon's Dogma, Undertale, and Goose Game over the weekend on it).

Almost bit on Diablo with the price cut down to $35...

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #6807 on: September 30, 2019, 06:48:36 AM »
Diablo is pretty damn sweet on switch bruv... My third copy of D3 already

Also pre ordered Overwatch (2nd copy)  :doge

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6808 on: September 30, 2019, 08:09:11 AM »
ど助平

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #6809 on: September 30, 2019, 03:07:45 PM »
Diablo is pretty damn sweet on switch bruv... My third copy of D3 already

Also pre ordered Overwatch (2nd copy)  :doge

:-\

Bebpo

« Reply #6810 on: September 30, 2019, 08:34:17 PM »
Hmm, got that Hori Split Pad Pro in the mail today. Wasn't expecting it since it was sold out and wasn't supposed to re-stock until late October. Will be interesting to test this and see if it eliminates the wrist/hand pain I get from playing Switch in bed.

Since it came out I'd play laying on my back in bed and after 30 mins or so my hand would start getting sharp tingly numbness and I'd have either sit up and play or turn to my side and play to make the pain go away. Really annoying since I like to play Switch in bed and I play a lot of long games. Happens pretty much nightly.

Even without rumble, if these make it ergonomic to fix that, it will be amazing. I swear Switch is fucking up my wrist too, when I do pushups after playing switch the night before my right wrist has a lot of pain and I can't do a bunch. The switch design sucks for handheld playing in bed :(

Bebpo

« Reply #6811 on: September 30, 2019, 11:40:48 PM »
Definitely seem better at first try. The d-pad is much better and analogs are pretty good. I don't understand why there are buttons on the back that you keep accidentally hitting but they don't seem to do anything?

Occam

« Reply #6812 on: October 01, 2019, 03:13:53 AM »
FL and FR are mappable, have a look at the instructions.

Sho Nuff

« Reply #6813 on: October 01, 2019, 03:41:09 AM »
Yeah baby it's YU-NO TIME

It's a legendary PC98 VN with the greatest FM synth soundtrack of all time, unfortunately the graphics are anime trash and they didn't include the original PC98 graphics DLC like the japanese version, but I'll take what I can get

Jury's out on if the translation is better or worse than the fan version that required you to run an old Windows 95 .exe but I'll take what I can get, really

Basically I'm the only market for this video game because of my weird obsession with PC98, FM synth, and high res pixel art, by no means should any of you be playing this

edit: Wow panty sniffing talk in the first 4 minutes of gameplay, I love how Nintendo dgaf anymore
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 04:07:17 AM by Sho Nuff »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6814 on: October 01, 2019, 07:35:29 AM »
Yu-No is censored on consoles, but it appears to just be one scene so no big deal I guess.  Sucks that's there no old-school visual options.   :-\
ど助平

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #6815 on: October 01, 2019, 10:15:46 AM »
Yeah baby it's YU-NO TIME

It's a legendary PC98 VN with the greatest FM synth soundtrack of all time, unfortunately the graphics are anime trash and they didn't include the original PC98 graphics DLC like the japanese version, but I'll take what I can get

Jury's out on if the translation is better or worse than the fan version that required you to run an old Windows 95 .exe but I'll take what I can get, really

Basically I'm the only market for this video game because of my weird obsession with PC98, FM synth, and high res pixel art, by no means should any of you be playing this

edit: Wow panty sniffing talk in the first 4 minutes of gameplay, I love how Nintendo dgaf anymore

Does the Switch version have the FM Synth soundtrack?
^_^

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6816 on: October 01, 2019, 10:35:47 AM »
Not gonna start it yet, but loaded up Dragon Quest XI to transfer the demo save file over and check out the 2D mode.  And unless I missed something, you can't just switch between 2D and 3D on the fly?  The game prompted me to create a new save file and then started over from the beginning.  Guess I'm sticking with 3D.
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #6817 on: October 01, 2019, 10:42:48 AM »
You can switch between 2D and 3D at a church, but if you switch in the middle of a chapter it takes you back to the first of the chapter.
©@©™

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6818 on: October 01, 2019, 10:48:55 AM »
You can switch between 2D and 3D at a church, but if you switch in the middle of a chapter it takes you back to the first of the chapter.

Ah OK, better than having to start over completely, but still kinda sucks that you can't just change it whenever.
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #6819 on: October 01, 2019, 11:51:48 AM »
FL and FR are mappable, have a look at the instructions.

I don't see how you could ever use them unless I'm holding it wrong? The buttons are exactly where your fingers hold the controller so you'd always be pressing them accidentally.

Booo

I knew about the church switch but didn't know about the chapter reset thing. There goes switching back and forth to check out spots on the fly.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6820 on: October 01, 2019, 01:56:10 PM »
Metal Max Xeno, which came out what...last year?  Is getting a remake on Switch and PS4 as "Metal Max Xeno: Reborn."  Metal Max Xeno: Reborn 2 was also announced.

ど助平

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #6821 on: October 01, 2019, 02:50:30 PM »
that looks like it belongs in the steam greenlight thread

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #6822 on: October 01, 2019, 02:51:42 PM »
Close, it was a Vita game.
©@©™

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #6823 on: October 01, 2019, 04:52:18 PM »
Hori pad thing is good, but I wish they'd made the handles a little longer and rounded on the ends. It's already distinguished mentally-challenged fellow huge so an extra inch wouldn't make much difference, and making the ends pointed was dumb design, they dig into your palms after a while. I do appreciate the back buttons, I wish they'd make this standard on console controllers next gen.
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #6824 on: October 01, 2019, 04:56:25 PM »

already distinguished mentally-challenged fellow huge

:foxx
sup

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6825 on: October 01, 2019, 05:33:37 PM »
Metal Max Xeno wasn't all that good. The tank customization had a lot of detail and some of the battles had some decent challenge, but everything outside that was pretty bland or barebones. Don't think I'll play it again [even if it does let you have a cannon dog now], but I will get the sequel.
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6826 on: October 01, 2019, 08:54:32 PM »
ど助平

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #6827 on: October 05, 2019, 02:41:10 PM »
Bought Cuphead, so far it seems a perfect no bullshit game with amaizng production values.

Also finally started Doom 3, so far so good.

Ordered Luigis Mansion 3 too. And Overwatch.

Fucking Switch guys.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #6828 on: October 05, 2019, 04:11:55 PM »
When is overwatch out again? Are we friends yet? I’m a dank mystery heroes partner

Svejk

« Reply #6829 on: October 05, 2019, 04:20:36 PM »
Nintendo needs to step up and make this official. 

If they made different themed ones that actually worked as full docking?..  :lawd. I can easily see a Metroid and Mario ones too.  I don't even have a switch but want one.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/10/there_are_switch_docks_and_then_theres_this_zelda_links_awakening_switch_dock

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6830 on: October 05, 2019, 07:55:44 PM »
When is overwatch out again? Are we friends yet? I’m a dank mystery heroes partner

Out on 10/15.  Digital-only- the "boxed" version just contains a download code.
ど助平

Sho Nuff

« Reply #6831 on: October 07, 2019, 01:32:11 AM »
Is Overwatch going to have feature parity with the other versions, or is it not cross-play?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6832 on: October 07, 2019, 11:22:22 AM »
Is Overwatch going to have feature parity with the other versions, or is it not cross-play?

Not cross-play.  Probably a good thing considering that it runs at half the framerate on Switch.  And Actiblizzard is too greedy to allow accounts to sync.   :-\
ど助平

Ghoul

« Reply #6833 on: October 08, 2019, 07:29:02 AM »
Will be interesting to see how many new players overwatch gets, or if it's just the same people just buying again.

Also portal overwatch just seems like hell on earth, I mean can you imagine how bad the connections are gonna be.

Just a pure lag fest of people playing on phone wifi.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6834 on: October 08, 2019, 09:09:07 AM »
Will be interesting to see how many new players overwatch gets, or if it's just the same people just buying again.

Also portal overwatch just seems like hell on earth, I mean can you imagine how bad the connections are gonna be.

Just a pure lag fest of people playing on phone wifi.

I don't think it will be any worse than any other platform- it's not like there's not tons of people playing over shitty wifi connections on the consoles and PC too.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6835 on: October 08, 2019, 11:06:47 PM »
This is a pretty fun puzzle game that just came out!

ど助平

kingv

« Reply #6836 on: October 08, 2019, 11:10:59 PM »
How do you pronounce the + in this instance?

Is it with a hard r?!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6837 on: October 09, 2019, 10:03:28 PM »
Demos are going up for Resident Evil 5 and 6...for some reason.  Up in AU now and elsewhere tomorrow.

You get a 33% off pre-order discount if you own RE, RE0, or RE4.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 10:17:32 PM by bork »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6838 on: October 10, 2019, 12:04:09 AM »
ど助平

Sho Nuff

« Reply #6839 on: October 10, 2019, 03:32:38 AM »
One of the Asphalt games was a pretty serviceable San Francisco Rush clone, all those games actually look really, really nice but I assume they have bullshit mechanics meant to squeeze you so I never progressed beyond the second or third races.