Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 942437 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #8220 on: May 14, 2020, 08:30:39 PM »
Basically, today is May 14th and the game comes out on July 17th. Now, that may seem like an arbitrary observation, but when you count the days until release, everything becomes clear. That’s right, it’s exactly 64 days until the game hits digital shelves.
All this Nintendo lore  :crazy
🤴

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #8221 on: May 14, 2020, 09:11:20 PM »
New switch online roms that I'm not even gonna link cause they're so bad
fat

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #8222 on: May 14, 2020, 09:59:59 PM »
Why can't they just dump at least their entire first party catalogs onto this? Sporadic piles of whatever kind of sucks.
Hi

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #8223 on: May 14, 2020, 11:27:34 PM »
Rygar tho :lawd
©@©™

bluemax

« Reply #8224 on: May 15, 2020, 12:25:25 AM »
Definitely waiting for more details before I get hyped about another Paper Mario.
NO

Occam

« Reply #8225 on: May 15, 2020, 01:06:56 AM »
Why can't they just dump at least their entire first party catalogs onto this? Sporadic piles of whatever kind of sucks.

Because would you be thirsty enough to rebuy the same shit for the 5th time if they didn't drip feed you?
Such is your contract with Nintendo: You will rebuy the same ROMs every couple of years for the rest of your life, and you will love it. They are just incentivizing you not to forget about it.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #8226 on: May 15, 2020, 01:42:00 AM »
 :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :miyamoto :bow2 :bow2 :bow2 :bow2 :bow2 :bow2 :bow2 :bow2 :bow2

Tasty

« Reply #8227 on: May 15, 2020, 10:28:24 AM »

Tasty

« Reply #8228 on: May 15, 2020, 10:29:05 AM »
I played Paper Mario 64 and it was fun but not for me.

If they re-release Thousand Year Door I'd give it a shot but not really interested in the series otherwise.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #8230 on: May 15, 2020, 12:31:14 PM »
Yeah, Tasty, TTYD is charming and fun! I think you’d really like it. And you’re stuck inside so boot up a gcn emu already

Which I’m probably gonna do today to play Tony hawk games, just haven’t decided which one lol

Tasty

« Reply #8231 on: May 15, 2020, 02:04:08 PM »
Piracy :jeanluc

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #8232 on: May 15, 2020, 02:28:51 PM »

I love the Punis.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #8233 on: May 15, 2020, 02:45:45 PM »
TTYD is one of the best RPGs of that gen, which is an incredible feat. Tons of neat runs/ways you can play the game as well.

https://pm-challenge.fandom.com/wiki/Danger_Mario

(Image removed from quote.)

I love the Punis.

That Puni tree has the most chill soundtrack.

OH!

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #8234 on: May 15, 2020, 02:46:34 PM »
Piracy :jeanluc

I need to dirty you up with a lil crime here and there, loosen you up a bit :drool

paprikastaude

« Reply #8235 on: May 15, 2020, 03:06:18 PM »

I love the Punis.

:exxy
I will let lord Miyamoto know about this, so it gets erased and replaced by featureless Toads and a compliant lava level.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #8236 on: May 15, 2020, 03:11:20 PM »

I love the Punis.

:exxy
I will let lord Miyamoto know about this, so it gets erased and replaced by featureless Toads in a normal forest level.

A source of inspiration for Miyamoto regarding later Paper Mario entries, was that when past Paper Mario team members would give him sketches and notes of interesting ideas and characters, he'd go into his office, and scrunch up all notes and suggestions into a crumpled ball, and throw it in the trash.
OH!

paprikastaude

« Reply #8237 on: May 15, 2020, 03:14:37 PM »
gaming's George Lucas :miyamoto In those Iwata developer logs, you'd always read about how these days he comes into random projects to scratch good ideas or force handholding into things like Majora's Mask 3D.  :hhh  I wonder how BotW slipped past him.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #8238 on: May 15, 2020, 03:15:54 PM »
©@©™

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #8239 on: May 15, 2020, 08:41:47 PM »
It looks like all the Data East ports are 75% off in the online store. Bought Bad Dudes.
🍆🍆

archnemesis

« Reply #8240 on: May 16, 2020, 03:36:57 AM »
Limited Run's games are 80% off. I picked up Cosmic Star Heroine, Night Trap, and Double Switch.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8241 on: May 16, 2020, 08:05:47 AM »
Game journalists: Nintedno don't know how to work from home no gaemes from Nitendo dis year  :derp

Nintendo
https://twitter.com/animalcrossing/status/1261295269338992640
🤴

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #8242 on: May 16, 2020, 12:06:34 PM »
Limited Run's games are 80% off. I picked up Cosmic Star Heroine, Night Trap, and Double Switch.

Nice, I enjoyed my time with Cosmic Star Heroine. A great indie send-up of Phantasy Star and Chrono Trigger... of course doesn't really come close to either of its inspirations but still a very enjoyable ride with a battle system that forces you to try different skills and movesets.
^_^

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #8243 on: May 16, 2020, 07:42:05 PM »
I’m addicted to buying Switch games again. I just bought the Chocobo Mystery Dungeon remake and wondered when the hell I’d  find the time to play that.
🍆🍆

Cheddahz

« Reply #8244 on: May 17, 2020, 10:22:05 AM »
Cosmic Star Heroine is worth the dollar or two or whatever it is right now. I backed it back in the day and really enjoyed my time with it (though the plot is pretty forgettable, like most plots in JRPGs)

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #8245 on: May 17, 2020, 12:19:36 PM »
I’m addicted to buying Switch games again. I just bought the Chocobo Mystery Dungeon remake and wondered when the hell I’d  find the time to play that.

Had no idea there was a remake... digital only?
^_^

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8246 on: May 17, 2020, 12:28:41 PM »

Had no idea there was a remake... digital only?

It got a Japanese physical release, which has full English.  On Amazon right now for $54!
ど助平

Fifstar

« Reply #8247 on: May 17, 2020, 01:32:13 PM »
The Paper MArio thread on reeera is something else. 5000+ posts of whining and going back and forth over the same shit again and again.
Gulp

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #8248 on: May 17, 2020, 06:29:48 PM »
I was hoping for an actual Switch Pro to have an excuse to upgrade, but it looks like Nintendo doesn't need it because they have trouble stocking the regular Switch.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8249 on: May 17, 2020, 07:16:42 PM »
I'm not expecting a Switch Pro anytime soon. Maybe a cheap non-handheld TV-only Switch, but even that makes little sense given the route they've taken with the Switch Lite.
Some Nintendo armchair twitter journo's believe that Metroid Prime 4 is a VR game for a new type of Switch with 2 screens based on that Paper Mario 'teaser'.
But I find that highly unlikely beyond maybe the usual 'cardboard-VR' LABO support.

DLSS 2.0 is the future for Switch. 540p AI driven upscaled to 1080p and 1080p to 4k without seeing the difference between DLSS 2.0 and native resolutions.
It would open up a ton of new portable third party games. However, I think it would take Nvidia another 2 years to have such an RTX-type chip small and cheap enough to use for a Switch 2.

Nintendo has already said that they're focusing on getting more Switches in the hands of people who don't play games. So maybe they'll come up with some new apps (perhaps the sleeping stuff returns in some way) or games with casual appeal like Nintendogs Switch. My guess is they'll fire on all cylinders for Switch software for the next 2 years and then transition to Switch 2 around late 2021 or even 2022 depending on the sales, state of the economy and mobile technology.
A Switch Pro would likely just 'split' the userbase so if it ever comes out it'll be sort of like a DSi. It runs Switch games slightly better but it doesn't add any big features, higher resolutions (beyond steadier dynamic resolutions) or other spec improvements.
🤴

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #8250 on: May 17, 2020, 10:07:33 PM »
Given the sales of the Switch, Nintendo doesn’t have any incentive to pursue a Switch Pro or Switch 2 in the near future. Wouldn’t shock me if a Switch 2 isn’t in the cards until late 2022/early 2023.
🍆🍆

Rahxephon91

« Reply #8251 on: May 17, 2020, 10:23:58 PM »
Why would anyone want a Switch Pro? Looking at the history of Nintendo's upgraded consoles revisions, they got supported a little bit but Nintendo never really alienates the base. I mean in the end beyond being I guess slightly sleeker what was great about the New Nintendo 3DS? I could play Xenoblade and some games ran slightly better. I rather they not waste time and just make a Switch 2 and right now there is'nt a huge need for a Switch 2.

Tasty

« Reply #8252 on: May 17, 2020, 10:26:26 PM »
eShop didn't run like dogshit on New 3DS's for one.

I don't mind the upgrades. You don't miss much by not upgrading but there are small things that might make it nicer, and if your existing console has a stuck pixel or other wear and tear, and it's been 4-5 years since you bought the system, why not?

You take such a pessimistic view of every situation. "Why would anyone want an obviously superior console even if it only offers nominal benefits over their current one?" Gee I dunno, companies have only been doing it for 20 years, maybe they have something figured out?

Rahxephon91

« Reply #8253 on: May 17, 2020, 10:31:52 PM »
Well I fell you are wrong, as I think compared to most here, I'm optimistic about games or anything. I also don't think its pessimistic to think the current Switch is fine and that the next Switch should be an actual Switch 2. 3rd Parties are going to leave the Switch eventually and a Switch Pro is not really going to help run PS5 level games anyway. Games made for the Switch are also not lacking. Outside of the One X(and not because of anything MS did) these upgraded consoles have been whatever for me. Do I like the PS4 Pro? Sure. Would it have been a big deal if it did'nt happen? Not really.

"Why would anyone want an obviously superior console even if it only offers nominal benefits over their current one?" Gee I dunno, companies have only been doing it for 20 years, maybe they have something figured out?
Obviously superior? Eh, not really when it comes to these incremental upgrades. Pretty much every conversation involving them will include:

"Well should I spring the extra money for the Pro version?"

"I don't know, should you? What games are you going to play"

"Mario"

"Eh then no, Mario will be fine on the regular Switch"

And these conversations happen all the time in regards to these "upgrades". It's not super clear. Also i feel like you missed the entire point, as I said just do a Switch 2 instead. I do not see the value of a Switch Pro when a Switch 2 would be far more interesting. I also belive a Switch 2 would have BC and whatever improvements a Switch Pro could do to the library, would apply to a Switch 2.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 11:07:36 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Fifstar

« Reply #8254 on: May 18, 2020, 03:44:16 AM »
Why would anyone want a Switch Pro? Looking at the history of Nintendo's upgraded consoles revisions, they got supported a little bit but Nintendo never really alienates the base. I mean in the end beyond being I guess slightly sleeker what was great about the New Nintendo 3DS? I could play Xenoblade and some games ran slightly better. I rather they not waste time and just make a Switch 2 and right now there is'nt a huge need for a Switch 2.

Why would it need extra support? It's not like PS4 Pro or Xbox X get special games. Switch has more than enough games already that would be greatly enhanced by better resolution and higher fps, especially the third party games. Even with a pro switch on the market, the base switch would remain the development target.

Switch Pro could also have a larger screen with better image iq and a smaller bezel and better build quality. Would be at least nice to have.

Pro versions are never really needed from a consumer pov, but they're good to keep a product hot. In that sense Mary is right, Nintendo isn't loosing steam right now, so they might not need it this year. But given the way Nintendo's evergreens are selling, they might be inclined to extend it's lifespan beyond the timeframe they originally planned and a pro would certainly help there.

Also, PS5 and Xbox Series S seem to be really advanced systems. A mobile system that can get ports and have reasonable battery life and heat development is probably still 3 years away.

Slightly relevant: in the latest financial briefing it was reported that Nintendo spent a big amount (all time high for a single year maybe) on r&d.
Gulp

Rahxephon91

« Reply #8255 on: May 18, 2020, 04:41:26 AM »
Well my point was that if you look at the New 3DS. It basically did fuck all for the back catalog and was hardly great for the current games. Thats really what I'm saying here. When it comes to their upgrades and even BC. Nintendo consoles do not actually offer what you are saying. WiiU plays Wii games like a Wii. New 3DS did nothing for most games. A Switch Pro based on that is not anywhere near as interesting as a PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. You're saying the Switch would be the development target. Well yes, thats my point. Based on previous history a Switch Pro would not do anything for old games and have few new games that would take advantage of it. A better screen and build quality, sure. But that dosen't sound like an upgrade. Just a refinement that will no doubt probably happen before all said is done.

Which is why I'm saying a Switch 2 which would be a full upgrade, better positioned to handle ports of PS5 games, offer BC even if it is a WiiU situation, and is a clear leap is far more exciting then whatever a Switch Pro would be. Which unlike the PS4 Pro or One X, I'm not convinced would be anything worthwhile on a simple "runs games better".

I have a Pro and a One X. Especially in the One X there is a clear difference from the base. But unless Switch Pro is like that to me it's a waste of time.

Fifstar

« Reply #8256 on: May 18, 2020, 06:22:54 AM »
Well, if you just assume the worst, of course a hypothetical Pro would suck. I mean I can understand being sceptical, we're talking about Nintendo after all.

But we know that the switch firmware already supports different power profiles. We also know that on games with dynamic res/fps you can easily improve performance or res on modded consoles when clockrates are unlocked (remember that even base switich is running a downclocked tegra chip).

And I disagree about a bigger screen and a more sleek console not being upgrades. For me personally I'd take a great new design over pushing old games to a 20% better framerate.
Gulp

Rahxephon91

« Reply #8257 on: May 18, 2020, 08:02:28 PM »
Well then I guess I am pessimistic.

But it’s also that I think the Switch is fine. I find Switch exclusive games to run and look fine already. They could be better, but I’m not sure how much a Pro would improve say Astral Chain. Down ports..well I don’t think a Switch Pro is going to make me want say  Doom Eternal over the other versions.

A further revision with a better screen and battery life I’m sure will happen.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 08:23:28 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #8258 on: May 19, 2020, 01:36:51 PM »

I had an edge case of if I bought a new Switch, I'd give my original to my niece who has been asking one for years. She's a good kid who I don't think will be distracted with a shiny new toy (or in this case, a shiny used toy), so I'd like to reward her. Her parents have already nixed me buying her a new one because of how expensive it is, but I think I can talk to allowing me to give it to her if its used.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #8259 on: May 19, 2020, 02:56:44 PM »
I'd like a Switch with controllers that don't break by regular use.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8260 on: May 19, 2020, 03:02:06 PM »

I think most would just be happy with a Switch that runs games the same in handheld as they do docked.  That's the expected "Pro" model.

Pretty sure the whole reason they made the New 3DS was for Monster Hunter, which was just on fire (in Japan) at that time. 
ど助平

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #8261 on: May 19, 2020, 03:03:27 PM »
main reason I never bought was the joycon  >:(

having to pay an extra 70 or whatever to get a controller I can use, but probably still won't like was too much  :-\

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8262 on: May 19, 2020, 03:04:12 PM »
main reason I never bought was the joycon  >:(

having to pay an extra 70 or whatever to get a controller I can use, but probably still won't like was too much  :-\

So buy a cheaper third party pad, like an 8Bitdo controller, or an adapter to use PS4/Xbox controllers instead?

The adapter is $20.
ど助平

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #8263 on: May 19, 2020, 03:12:30 PM »
switch costs 500+ now, bb ::)

besides, it's more that I don't want to buy a system where I can't use the standard controller. I was even ok with the dreamcast controller  :doge joycons were such a letdown, I figured it would be an improvement on wiimote + nunchuk combo  :fbm

maybe I just needed to buy one and get used to it  :trumps

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8264 on: May 19, 2020, 03:18:51 PM »
TBH I think they're fine for most games when used as a handheld.  I wouldn't want to use them on the controller adapter you slide them onto and have used a pro controller or 8bitdo controller since day one. 

QC is a different issue.  Mine have held up and I haven't had drift.  I mean, it sucks that it happens, but at least they'll fix (replace?) them if it does.

ど助平

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #8265 on: May 19, 2020, 03:49:06 PM »
Cons aren’t that bad. But I did have to get the hori pad for any lengthy handheld gaming

Tasty

« Reply #8266 on: May 19, 2020, 04:13:47 PM »
Zero extra Joy-Cons but four Pro Controllers in this house over here :pimp

...and no one to use them :stahp

I don't think I've taken my Joy-Cons off the system in like... a year... mostly cause I'm terrified of that drift shit.

Also the primary reason I won't get a Lite. Well, that and lack of rumble.

Occam

« Reply #8267 on: May 19, 2020, 05:09:44 PM »
What does taking off the joycons have to do with the drift issue?

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #8268 on: May 19, 2020, 05:38:44 PM »
Zero extra Joy-Cons but four Pro Controllers in this house over here :pimp

...and no one to use them :stahp

]
Margs

Tasty

« Reply #8269 on: May 19, 2020, 08:28:11 PM »
Things were pretty bad over the last year and I ended up selling two of them :doge

So technically a two-Pro-Controller-house now :stahp

I keep forgetting (cause no one is here to use them anyways) :stahp

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #8270 on: May 24, 2020, 01:44:35 PM »
It’s overwatch’s anniversary event so I’ve been pouring hours into it again. I wish workshop matches gave more exp, it’s all time played and it’s what I find myself having more fun doing. End up leaving queues to stay in custom matches

bluemax

« Reply #8271 on: May 24, 2020, 11:58:00 PM »
Amazon has XBC for $10 bucks off or so. Support Bezos becoming a trillionaire by saving a few dollars!
NO

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #8272 on: May 25, 2020, 09:24:01 AM »
378p xenoblade  :whoo

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8273 on: May 25, 2020, 09:45:04 AM »
I only play Switch games docked anyway :bowsette

Still if you would ask me which remaster would be an example for others Xenoblade Chronicles or Saints Row: The Third, I would've never expect Saints Row to get a better treatment.
Although I've heard good things from a friend of mine who is reviewing it about the gameplay and extra content of XBC.
🤴

Fifstar

« Reply #8274 on: May 25, 2020, 10:04:57 AM »
720 standard res is the real "shocker". It's a wii game. But in cases like this it's always better to wait for final impressions, who knows how prevalent the bad resolutions really are.
Gulp

Tasty

« Reply #8275 on: May 25, 2020, 10:53:57 AM »
Is it 60fps at least?

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #8276 on: May 25, 2020, 10:55:24 AM »
(ice)

Tasty

« Reply #8277 on: May 25, 2020, 11:49:16 AM »

Those must be some highres-ass textures

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #8278 on: May 25, 2020, 11:51:54 AM »
stolen from the shit thread

:tocry
(ice)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8279 on: May 25, 2020, 12:20:39 PM »
Gameplay:

Looks good to me.  Pretty much what I would expect from this developer.
ど助平