Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 933739 times)

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #120 on: October 20, 2016, 01:56:04 PM »

Well, details are yet to be revealed, but Nintendo generally hasn't been stupid enough to use their own overpriced storage solutions and has opted for SD Cards and the like, and typically prices their products lower than Sony.  Plus it's getting big-name titles like Zelda and Mario out of the gate.  Not stripped-down gimmicky ports...the actual full-on 'console' games.

Vita got console games. No one cared. Memory card prices dont matter.  No one actually wants to take a giant console on the go to play games.
dur

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #121 on: October 20, 2016, 01:59:50 PM »
If this has the followup to the 3DS lineup, with some Vita :uguu stragglers, and the few big-budget Nintendo console games that I liked on WiiU, I'll be thrilled.
^_^

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #122 on: October 20, 2016, 02:19:40 PM »
Just show me the next Monolithsoft game.
dog

Beezy

« Reply #123 on: October 20, 2016, 02:19:43 PM »
The tiny detachable controllers are a non-issue. Honestly, how often will you actually remove them to play? You'll be playing this like any other handheld or using the pro controller at home.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #124 on: October 20, 2016, 02:27:22 PM »
I demand GoldenEye on this thing for local multiplayer
püp

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #125 on: October 20, 2016, 02:32:58 PM »
Vita got console games. No one cared.

In the beginning it was a lot of stripped-down ports and nothing big from Sony themselves.  It took a couple of years before Killzone Mercenary showed up.

Memory card prices dont matter.

Do you not remember the Vita's proprietary memory card pricing?  :doge

No one actually wants to take a giant console on the go to play games.

Good thing this isn't a giant console, then.  But the uphill battle for Nintendo is trying to get the people carrying around tablets to put those down in favor of the Switch.  I don't see that happening.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #126 on: October 20, 2016, 02:33:26 PM »
The tiny detachable controllers are a non-issue. Honestly, how often will you actually remove them to play? You'll be playing this like any other handheld or using the pro controller at home.

Yeah, pretty much seems to be more a novelty thing.  Good for kids though.  Like if you went on a trip, you could have two kids playing on one system instead of needing to buy them their own.
ど助平

Huff

« Reply #127 on: October 20, 2016, 02:40:46 PM »
Vita got "big named" shit at launch and over the next year. Uncharted, assassins, whatev. Then they stopped because it didn't move hardware and no one actually wanted them.

It was a machine without an audience. Same for the Wii U, and the switch most likely

dur

Huff

« Reply #128 on: October 20, 2016, 02:41:10 PM »
Bringing up the memory card "controversy"? Lol like small time nerd online shit carries over to mass marketing purchasing decisions
dur

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #129 on: October 20, 2016, 02:48:23 PM »
I wasn't expecting Nintendo to just give up on dual screen gaming, for some reason I thought the home-style play would essentially function like a Wii U gamepad. Obviously not the case.

And they're also seemingly straight up ditching touchscreens. Golly, that's a bit surprising to me too.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #130 on: October 20, 2016, 02:56:53 PM »
Vita got "big named" shit at launch and over the next year. Uncharted, assassins, whatev. Then they stopped because it didn't move hardware and no one actually wanted them.

This is exactly what I was talking about earlier- it got a stripped-down, gimmicky version of Uncharted made by Sony Bend (that also had major control issues) and Ass Crud Liberation was another stripped-down "portable" game that had performance issues.

The Switch is not doing this.

Bringing up the memory card "controversy"? Lol like small time nerd online shit carries over to mass marketing purchasing decisions

:huh

The high memory card prices added even more cost to the already pricier Vita at the time.
ど助平

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #131 on: October 20, 2016, 02:57:34 PM »
that's still not been confirmed or denied regarding touch screens
püp

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #132 on: October 20, 2016, 02:58:22 PM »
And they're also seemingly straight up ditching touchscreens. Golly, that's a bit surprising to me too.

We don't know that yet.  What is clear is that the games are not using touch functionality, which makes sense since you can dock the system.

Although I guess if they went with a non-touch screen, the cost would be cheaper.  But would that make it a lot cheaper?
ど助平

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #133 on: October 20, 2016, 02:59:26 PM »

This is exactly what I was talking about earlier- it got a stripped-down, gimmicky version of Uncharted made by Sony Bend (that also had major control issues) and Ass Crud Liberation was another stripped-down "portable" game.

The Switch is not doing this.

Bingo.  This is Nintendo's next platform.  It's getting the mainline games in their series'.  It will get legitimate ports of older 3rd party games. 
püp

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #134 on: October 20, 2016, 03:03:22 PM »
The most important thing to me about this isn't the controller or hardware.  It's the fact that Nintendo is focusing all dev resources to it instead of two separate pillars.  That at the very least means more quality Nintendo games without having to buy two systems.

You put he NEXT Pokémon on this along with Monster Hunter and Mario Kart and I think you have a system that more people want to buy.
yup

Plus, you know, motherfucking ZELDA at launch.  This is a good direction for Nintendo.  I even like the name

:miyamoto

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #135 on: October 20, 2016, 03:03:31 PM »
switch is not going to get any third party games though outside of token last gen ports at launch so...

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #136 on: October 20, 2016, 03:04:49 PM »
switch is not going to get any third party games though outside of token last gen ports at launch so...

So...just like every other Nintendo system after the SNES?
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #137 on: October 20, 2016, 03:05:01 PM »

:cmonson

Not that the Nintendo hate isn't well-deserved, but it's too early to be assuming shit like th--

So...just like every other Nintendo system after the SNES?

:neogaf :dead
ど助平

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #138 on: October 20, 2016, 03:06:31 PM »
remember the dream team for n64?

:lol

Syph

« Reply #139 on: October 20, 2016, 03:08:31 PM »
this looks kinda cool
3rd party support (dont kid yourself with that image) will probably doom it, but it might still be worth a purchase
if i lived with a roommate and not in a bachelor apartment id be more interested since i could split the cost lol
but it definitely is interesting
XO

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #140 on: October 20, 2016, 03:17:41 PM »
Most adults I know own multiple gaming consoles.  Let's stop pretending that a console is going to be the one-all be-all platform a person owns unless you're a teenager.

This addresses an itch that I think most gamers who don't take this shit super seriously will want to scratch – third party games or not.
püp

Huff

« Reply #141 on: October 20, 2016, 03:19:27 PM »
Like the wiiu?
dur

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #142 on: October 20, 2016, 03:25:13 PM »
Like the wiiu?

No?  The only thing that the Wii U had going for it was Nintendo's rare title releases.  The controller itself was cool but made no sense if you could only use it within 5 ft of your own TV.

This is a fully portable home console with controls that can be either traditional or used ala the Wii remote.  I think that's a much more interesting buy than a tethered tablet controller.
püp

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #143 on: October 20, 2016, 03:36:21 PM »
the video got more increasingly offensive in music and people doing things as the actual console got mildly more attractive

HurricaneForceGaming10 minutes ago
This will be very useful when I'm in the middle of a Splatoon match and I need to take a dump
villain16 minutes ago
After analyzing this video for a full minute and thirty-three seconds, I've concluded that this thing has infinite battery life.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #144 on: October 20, 2016, 03:39:29 PM »
That screen is going to get so scratched up. The multiplayer via multiple machines is a cool/smart thing. $300 for the full kit or fuck the hell off. Proc ontroller separately for $50 to 60 is ..acceptable but will still get an eyeroll if you don't put one in the box.
Hi

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #145 on: October 20, 2016, 03:41:17 PM »
the gaf thread on this is delicious

so many people complaining that the console isn't a carbon copy of the PS4 and Xbox One
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #146 on: October 20, 2016, 03:43:20 PM »
Laura Kate Dale
Laura Kate Dale‏ @LaurakBuzz

I believe the Switch supports swappable new controller sides. Suspect they're not mentioning yet to keep messaging clear.
Oct 20, 2016, 10:54 AM

This ^ is smart.  Make bank off of accessories and sell NES or SNES stylized Joy-Cons for nostalgia fetishists
püp

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #147 on: October 20, 2016, 03:46:40 PM »

so many people complaining that the console isn't a carbon copy of the PS4 and Xbox One
By literally every indication ever it was never going to do that, also going by their last two actual home consoles. Gaf is so fucking distinguished mentally-challenged and worthless.
Hi

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #148 on: October 20, 2016, 03:50:05 PM »

By literally every indication ever it was never going to do that, also going by their last two actual home consoles. Gaf is so fucking distinguished mentally-challenged and worthless.

Why would people want this in the first place?  Nintendo titles are attractive for a lot of people but not enough to sway CoD or FIFA players from their dedication to the service of their choice (Live or PSN).  We all know even if Nintendo offered an amazingly powerful system, they'd royally fuck up networking, online, and the OS.

Nintendo is strong at creating word-of-mouth buzz even if the gimmick isn't a lasting one. I would rather they focus on creating interesting shit than sinking money into a powerhouse that they know wouldn't sell anything.
püp

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #149 on: October 20, 2016, 03:53:11 PM »
Looks like shit and I was stupid enough to buy a Wii U at launch.  Better luck next time Nintendo.
🍆🍆

Vertigo

« Reply #150 on: October 20, 2016, 03:58:13 PM »
Yeah this thing is going to be a Nintendo machine for Nintendo games. As usual it's a blessing and a curse for Nintendo.

The sight of nintards getting excited over Skyrim was a sight to behold, Yeah it's the remastered version but it's a half hearted effort as usual put that game out at launch while the Xbox One and PS4 versions, which launch next week, will be cheaper and the Switch version full price. See it flop, don't port anything else to the Switch.

Slowly drain the Switch of big western third party support. 

benjipwns

« Reply #151 on: October 20, 2016, 03:58:24 PM »
nvidia basically confirmed it's a Tegra spin-off like a year ago or something, that's not too terrible considering how long Nintendo held onto the Gekko which were the source of most complaints about the WiiU

plus what do people expect will fit in that tablet without it burning through the casing?

the hardware can't be in the "console" like the WiiU and you be able to take the dang thing on an airplane

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #152 on: October 20, 2016, 04:36:15 PM »
Why the whole dock thing though, why not just a lilttle handheld (ds size) that can stream games to the telly through a dongle?

Like Airplay or something,  you could use a bluetooth controller too at home.

this whole dock clickety thing feels odd

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #153 on: October 20, 2016, 04:39:16 PM »
Yeah this thing is going to be a Nintendo machine for Nintendo games. As usual it's a blessing and a curse for Nintendo.

The sight of nintards getting excited over Skyrim was a sight to behold, Yeah it's the remastered version but it's a half hearted effort as usual put that game out at launch while the Xbox One and PS4 versions, which launch next week, will be cheaper and the Switch version full price. See it flop, don't port anything else to the Switch.

Slowly drain the Switch of big western third party support.

getting excited over a 6 month delayed remaster of a decade old game, just shows how crazy starved nintendo fans seem to be, quite contrary to Brandnews "most adults I know own multiple consoles"

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #154 on: October 20, 2016, 04:46:06 PM »
Sometimes you just wanna replay the classics  :yeshrug

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #155 on: October 20, 2016, 04:49:18 PM »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #156 on: October 20, 2016, 04:54:32 PM »
That's a non story

edit: to clarify, not even Nintendo has officially released details on their games for the Switch.  I doubt Nintendo gave the go ahead to any dev, even of dev featured in the teaser video, to release official details about their plans.  I'd wager official PR starts appearing for this sometime next week.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 06:41:07 PM by BrandNew »
püp

nudemacusers

« Reply #157 on: October 20, 2016, 06:42:29 PM »
my oldest's 6th birthday is in march. might have to cop one. better have a release day mario tho.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #158 on: October 20, 2016, 06:42:52 PM »
Also, based on Laura Kate Dale and Emily Rogers' reporting, the device is using a Pascal chip and will be under clocked when the device is out of the dock.  Once placed in the dock, there is apparently additional processing that happens.
püp

archie4208

« Reply #159 on: October 20, 2016, 06:46:33 PM »
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/10/20/nintendo-confirms-amiibo-support-for-nintendo-switch-clarifies-additional-features

"The dock is not the main console unit of Nintendo Switch. The main unit of Nintendo Switch is the unit that has the LCD screen, which the two Joy-Con controllers can be attached to and detached from. The main function of the Nintendo Switch Dock is to provide an output to the TV, as well as charging and providing power to the system."

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #160 on: October 20, 2016, 06:49:58 PM »
Is there any official source that indicates this is gonna be Pascal?

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #161 on: October 20, 2016, 06:50:39 PM »
Is there any official source that indicates this is gonna be Pascal?

Just from the reliable reporters so far.  It's being pieced together at the moment.
püp

archie4208

« Reply #162 on: October 20, 2016, 06:52:51 PM »
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-10-20-nintendo-switch-officially-revealed

While Bethesda's much beloved Skyrim was clearly shown during Nintendo's Switch reveal video, the publisher told us today that it's not officially confirming the game just yet. "We're happy to have had the opportunity to collaborate with Nintendo on the video. While we are not confirming any specific titles at this time, we are pleased to announce our partnership with Nintendo and support of the Switch. We look forward to revealing specific games and details in the future," a spokesperson said.

:rofl

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #163 on: October 20, 2016, 07:23:18 PM »
can't wait to play morrowind on the go  :noah

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #164 on: October 20, 2016, 07:46:37 PM »
That reveal was a 4mins long video remake of this:

Yes, we get it, you can take the screen with you and play like a handheld. No need to show it 15 times in different scenarios.

Other than that, a bunch of ports (and a few looking suspiciously like concepts) and zero details as usual. And it launches in 5 months.

Raist

« Reply #165 on: October 20, 2016, 07:47:02 PM »
dp :/

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #166 on: October 20, 2016, 07:57:58 PM »
ffs why do I still get triggered when talking about Nintendo just fuck my shit up fam
püp

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #167 on: October 20, 2016, 08:04:50 PM »
People on Twitter getting creative:

^_^

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #168 on: October 20, 2016, 08:24:21 PM »
I'm gonna buy this

My wife thinks it looks cool

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #169 on: October 20, 2016, 08:25:58 PM »
This looks dumb as fuck, but I kinda want it anyway.

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #170 on: October 20, 2016, 08:30:50 PM »
the GAF threads are hilarious

Bebpo

« Reply #171 on: October 20, 2016, 08:54:58 PM »
So I guess this marks the death of 3d in gaming after this replaces 3DS.  Or does VR count as the next step in 3d?

Beezy

« Reply #172 on: October 20, 2016, 09:55:50 PM »
So I guess this marks the death of 3d in gaming after this replaces 3DS.  Or does VR count as the next step in 3d?
:lol

No one actually uses the 3D function on the 3DS. That shit been dead.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #173 on: October 20, 2016, 10:02:21 PM »
I'm constantly surprised by the things Bebpo likes or thinks are important. 

Bebpo

« Reply #174 on: October 20, 2016, 11:30:58 PM »
Actually was just pointing it out because I found the fact interesting.  Not a big fan of 3d and didn't use it when it hurt performance or in dark areas because of the ghosting, but in general at least 3d never did any harm and made any games worse like motion or touch controls have. 

bluemax

« Reply #175 on: October 20, 2016, 11:33:56 PM »
So it is a suped up NVidia Shield with Nintendo support. That's cool I guess.
NO

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #176 on: October 21, 2016, 12:27:50 AM »
Also, based on Laura Kate Dale and Emily Rogers' reporting, the device is using a Pascal chip and will be under clocked when the device is out of the dock.  Once placed in the dock, there is apparently additional processing that happens.

lol, Nintendo fan fantasies

its Tegra

Nvidia says so itself...

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/20/nintendo-switch/

benjipwns

« Reply #177 on: October 21, 2016, 12:43:04 AM »
The newest API, NVN, was built specifically to bring lightweight, fast gaming to the masses.

Raist

« Reply #178 on: October 21, 2016, 02:33:30 AM »

lol, Nintendo fan fantasies

its Tegra

Nvidia says so itself...

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/20/nintendo-switch/

I remember the GAF threads where people were staring at the WiiU's chipworks die shots for weeks to try and find stuff that wasn't there.

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #179 on: October 21, 2016, 03:58:17 AM »

so its a 720p handheld with removable controllers basically
pretty underwhelming after all the hybrid rumors
nintendo so i expect it to be underpowered and overpriced as well
dunno
萌え~