Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 946021 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #2880 on: February 11, 2018, 08:32:33 PM »
So I got around to playing the Dragon Quest Builders demo a bit more, and I'm liking it a lot. This is my first Dragon Quest game ever, actually, not a big RPG player.

I'm not much for RPGs (have been trying to play them again recently) and DQ7 on 3DS bored the shit out of me, but Builders has been pretty fun.
ど助平

agrajag

« Reply #2881 on: February 11, 2018, 08:43:32 PM »
So I got around to playing the Dragon Quest Builders demo a bit more, and I'm liking it a lot. This is my first Dragon Quest game ever, actually, not a big RPG player.

I'm not much for RPGs (have been trying to play them again recently) and DQ7 on 3DS bored the shit out of me, but Builders has been pretty fun.

Also, I've never played Minecraft. So this is what Minecraft is like?  :neo

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #2882 on: February 11, 2018, 09:07:24 PM »
DQB is hardly an RPG, it may have RPG elements just like DQHeroes but it's supposed to, thats the point of a spinoff.

I think Musou games are absolute dogshit but DQ Heroes and the like are different enough yet similar for me to enjoy it
fat

agrajag

« Reply #2883 on: February 11, 2018, 09:23:30 PM »
True, I was saying I don't play many RPG's hence I never played any DQ games. Plus the cutesy aesthetic turned me off.  :doge

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #2884 on: February 12, 2018, 10:50:49 AM »
DQ aesthetic is legendary...
^_^

agrajag

« Reply #2885 on: February 12, 2018, 01:20:46 PM »
DQ aesthetic is legendary...

The heart wants what the heart wants, man  :yeshrug

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #2886 on: February 12, 2018, 01:27:21 PM »
If you enjoy Dragon Ball Z you enjoy Dragon Quest

Quick maths
fat

agrajag

« Reply #2887 on: February 12, 2018, 01:54:51 PM »

Quick maths

The art style is more like the orginal Dragon Ball

Corporal

« Reply #2888 on: February 12, 2018, 02:14:27 PM »

Quick maths

The art style is more like the orginal Dragon Ball
And thus inherently superior, yes. 8)
!list

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2889 on: February 12, 2018, 04:59:08 PM »
What's next? Agrajag hating on Chrono Trigger's art style? :comeon
dog

agrajag

« Reply #2890 on: February 12, 2018, 05:00:10 PM »
Uh, actually I did hate it when I was a kid. I hated that DBZ art style with the huge hair. Now I think it's kind of cool.

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #2891 on: February 13, 2018, 08:48:39 AM »

Quick maths

This checks out.

:rejoice

Corporal

« Reply #2892 on: February 13, 2018, 10:52:18 PM »
Fuck. I think I just bungled a useful quest in DQB.

A friend is farther than me (I only just got the red teleporter, he's almost finished with that) and he told me he got double jumping for burying remains inside a cave on a straw mat with a note nearby that starts the quest. I remember coming across one such thing, but greedy ass me just smashed everything up and left without paying the note any mind. Doubt I will be able to find the cave again... And even then, with the remains and note probably gone, I doubt I will be able to trigger the quest.

What can I say, playing at three in the morning makes you do stupid things. :-\
!list

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2893 on: February 14, 2018, 12:30:31 PM »
Found this about it.  You're not the only one who did this!  :lol
Nope, you cannot destroy the bones related to this quest, it's impossible to screw it up.

The thing is, it's random, there's a dozen caves, it can spawn into just about any of them beyond the blue portal. The bones are inside of a hole in the ground and there's a book nearby. Not to be confused with the other cave that had bones and a strawbed, that one could be destroyed.
ど助平

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #2894 on: February 14, 2018, 01:29:18 PM »
you guys are supposed to turn every cave into a tiny little house come on now
pcp

Tasty

« Reply #2895 on: February 14, 2018, 02:37:47 PM »
Xeodrifter is out tomorrow, you guys should pick it up for dat mini Metroidvania itch. <3

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #2896 on: February 14, 2018, 05:25:25 PM »
I legit can't remember if I got a double jump in DQB.  :ohhh

« Reply #2897 on: February 14, 2018, 05:49:39 PM »
Dragon Quest Builders came out today!  I forgot that you can't transfer your demo save over.  :-\

Looks like South Park is coming out in the next month.  Someone found a listing for The Fractured But Whole on Amazon Mexico.

Does dq builder have any co-op elements, and/or can you have fun while sucking at games? Was thinking it might be fun to play with my kid in some capacity.

Very much so. I dislike the whole Minecraft gameplay system but I had a blast playing DQ Builders with my daughter last year. Looking forward to playing the sequel with her.
野球

archie4208

« Reply #2898 on: February 14, 2018, 06:19:20 PM »

That's just one level.   :stahp

Corporal

« Reply #2899 on: February 14, 2018, 07:40:09 PM »
I.... I'm not sure I could still enjoy that.  :o >:(

Thanks for the solid, Dos Locos Tacos. This would have hounded me through the rest of my playthrough. :lol
(On the other hand, it means that I've missed the correct cave! Back to exploring, on the double!)

Game is way more fun than it has any right to be.
!list

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2900 on: February 14, 2018, 07:51:18 PM »
Holy Crap Archie.
Yup, I'm off the fence. Not getting it. Never been into those VVVVV and Super Meat Boy types.

DQB is great. It's the only PS4 game I actually platinumed and I'm FAR from a completionist.
que

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #2901 on: February 14, 2018, 08:11:26 PM »
Super Meat Boy clones :zzz:
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2902 on: February 14, 2018, 08:43:50 PM »
I think the B-Side levels are optional crazy-hard challenges.
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #2903 on: February 14, 2018, 11:29:21 PM »
Dragon Quest Builders came out today!  I forgot that you can't transfer your demo save over.  :-\

Looks like South Park is coming out in the next month.  Someone found a listing for The Fractured But Whole on Amazon Mexico.

Does dq builder have any co-op elements, and/or can you have fun while sucking at games? Was thinking it might be fun to play with my kid in some capacity.

Very much so. I dislike the whole Minecraft gameplay system but I had a blast playing DQ Builders with my daughter last year. Looking forward to playing the sequel with her.

Nice, I might check the demo and see if I think she’ll like it.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #2904 on: February 14, 2018, 11:58:34 PM »
Finished Mario Rabbids, time to dive back into some Mario Odyssey
fat

« Reply #2905 on: February 15, 2018, 11:44:17 AM »
Couldn't get into Minecraft
Don't care for DBZ
LL Stan for dragonquest. 

I also missed the double jump my first time through. 
My only annoyance with the game is that nothing carries over from chapter to chapter.
Oh, and at least for the PS4 version, the button mapping was distinguished mentally-challenged.

Gonna get this on switch as soon as I'm sick of Zelda

Tasty

« Reply #2906 on: February 15, 2018, 11:49:51 AM »
Xeodrifter is out today!!

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #2907 on: February 15, 2018, 12:08:36 PM »
TEN dollars for this? Wasn't this free on PS+ and the game is only like 2 hours long?
fat

Tasty

« Reply #2908 on: February 15, 2018, 12:30:09 PM »
TEN dollars for this? Wasn't this free on PS+ and the game is only like 2 hours long?

Shut up fatass.

#SupportIndies :american

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2909 on: February 15, 2018, 12:32:24 PM »

Shut up fatass.

Buy Owlboy instead.
:ufup
ど助平

archnemesis

« Reply #2910 on: February 15, 2018, 12:39:58 PM »
I played it back then and it's alright. $10 is more than I would pay for it though.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2911 on: February 15, 2018, 12:49:49 PM »

Shut up fatass.

You mean #Tindies
©@©™

Corporal

« Reply #2912 on: February 15, 2018, 01:13:31 PM »
Despite the nice presentation, I could not get into Xeodrifter on 3DS. :-\

I think I missed something obvious I was supposed to do or something.
I got stuck either ineffectively pelting enemies with one trillion HP that could one- or twoshot me, or fruitlessly running around in circles. I swore to come back later, but eh. So many good games vie for my limited time. Who knows when that will be. Plus, I preemptively loathe the moment when the coin will drop, so I'm in no rush.
!list

Tasty

« Reply #2913 on: February 15, 2018, 01:24:16 PM »

Shut up fatass.

Buy Owlboy instead.
:ufup

Why not both? :idont

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #2914 on: February 15, 2018, 01:32:48 PM »
I took this shit outside and I could barely see the screen portable my ass
pcp

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2915 on: February 15, 2018, 01:33:40 PM »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2916 on: February 15, 2018, 01:43:13 PM »
Another release this week is Gate Of Doom, an old dungeon action arcade game from Data East, released in 1990.  I bought this thinking it was another ACA release from Hamster.

Instead it was released by Flying Tiger Entertainment (who?) under the label "Johnny Turbo's Arcade."  As in the failed American "mascot" for the Turbographx-16:

The game also starts up with a very unenthusiastic voice going "Johnny Turbo's Arcade Presents: Gate Of Doom."
 :ryker

The emulation seems fine and you get a couple of screen options.  Just a weird game label to use.
ど助平

« Reply #2917 on: February 15, 2018, 01:45:47 PM »

Nice, I might check the demo and see if I think she’ll like it.

Does she like Legos and/or building things? My daughter wasn't too interested in playing the game but loved watching and helping me decide how to build things.

My 6-year old is so used to touch screens that she's intimidated by controllers.
野球

kingv

« Reply #2918 on: February 15, 2018, 03:25:23 PM »
She does like building things, and is pretty ok with a controller for her age. She can basically play mario kart and new super mario bros on the 3DS and Shantae on the switch. She is just terrible at the games, so I’m jumping in to help a lot.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2919 on: February 15, 2018, 03:45:24 PM »
My 6 year old is obsessed with DQB. He can't read very well so he doesn't get the quests and mainly sticks to the free play mode. But he loves it. I'm sure he'll devour it once he gets old enough to enjoy the quests.
que

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2920 on: February 17, 2018, 02:11:13 PM »
Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 came out yesterday!

Bayonetta runs great and is super-smooth, but it looks pretty dated, especially compared to the PC version.  It reminds me almost of Doom in that it's impressive to see running on a handheld screen (the GPD WIN can't handle this game), but when you play it docked, its flaws are immediately obvious with reduced texture quality, shadows, lighting, and all that shit.  It's still awesome and the little extra Nintendo outfits from the Wii U port are a cool extra, but the definitive edition of this game is PC, no contest.

Bayonetta 2 also runs great and has a very smooth framerate.  It also still looks pretty good on a TV and its visual downgrades don't see as apparent as the original game.  Definitely has a much cleaner look compared to the original and still looks impressive overall.

Both are excellent ports overall for the platform. 
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #2921 on: February 17, 2018, 02:18:05 PM »

Still one of the best VG trailers ever. 8)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2922 on: February 17, 2018, 02:48:22 PM »
Maybe I just haven't played Bayo 1 console in that long.  DF says it looks better than Wii U.

:leon
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2923 on: February 17, 2018, 02:52:26 PM »

Still one of the best VG trailers ever. 8)

The second YT comment:
O lord, Sarah Palin.
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #2924 on: February 17, 2018, 06:55:23 PM »
Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 came out yesterday!

Bayonetta runs great and is super-smooth, but it looks pretty dated, especially compared to the PC version.  It reminds me almost of Doom in that it's impressive to see running on a handheld screen (the GPD WIN can't handle this game), but when you play it docked, its flaws are immediately obvious with reduced texture quality, shadows, lighting, and all that shit.  It's still awesome and the little extra Nintendo outfits from the Wii U port are a cool extra, but the definitive edition of this game is PC, no contest.

Bayonetta 2 also runs great and has a very smooth framerate.  It also still looks pretty good on a TV and its visual downgrades don't see as apparent as the original game.  Definitely has a much cleaner look compared to the original and still looks impressive overall.

Both are excellent ports overall for the platform.

Does PC Bayonetta have upgraded textures or something? I know it can obviously run at 4K, but I didn’t think that any assets were redone.

Bayo 2 does look great on the handheld screen. Honestly, that’s a super good looking game, even on Wii U, even by today’s standards (at least in my opinion).

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2925 on: February 17, 2018, 10:36:16 PM »
Not sure, but the PC version just looks super-clean and sharp in comparison, and the resolution makes a big difference, IMO.  Bayo 2 Switch looks a lot better.
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #2926 on: February 17, 2018, 11:52:07 PM »
I'm playing bayo 2 right now docked... too bad it's still 720P. It looks clean on the handheld, but the pro controller is key for this game, imo

agrajag

« Reply #2927 on: February 18, 2018, 03:14:19 AM »
I wish I was interested in Bayonetta, but I'm just not.

Fifstar

« Reply #2928 on: February 18, 2018, 05:18:24 AM »
My only experience with character action games is DMC3:SE which I didn't enjoy (I was shit at the game and dropped it after a couple of hours). How similar is Bayonetta? Might I still like this game? All those glowing reviews for the series make me want to trying, but I can't knock the feeling that I wouldn't enjoy it.
Gulp

agrajag

« Reply #2929 on: February 18, 2018, 09:48:08 AM »
Is Darksiders a character action game? Or is it Zelda? Because I loved Darksiders.

kingv

« Reply #2930 on: February 18, 2018, 09:56:30 AM »
Darksiders was a mix of Zelda and character action, iirc. Basically zeld with DMC style combat.

I believe Bayo 2 is a good bit easier than DMC, as Nintendo added lower difficulty levels that most people should be able to complete, though the meat of the game is still mastering combat on the higher difficulty levels

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #2931 on: February 18, 2018, 10:33:07 AM »
My only experience with character action games is DMC3:SE which I didn't enjoy (I was shit at the game and dropped it after a couple of hours). How similar is Bayonetta? Might I still like this game? All those glowing reviews for the series make me want to trying, but I can't knock the feeling that I wouldn't enjoy it.

Bayonetta is very similar to DMC. You beat up fuckbois, try not to get hit, and get ranked. You will enjoy it

You can cheese the ranking system by just reloading checkpoints if you do get hit until you get that perfect flow.
fat

kingv

« Reply #2932 on: February 18, 2018, 11:03:08 AM »
I just try to get through the levels at higher difficulty levels.

After not playing Bayo 2 for 2 years almost, hard is actually not thst hard to me. Took me a bit to get the timing back, but once I got down with the flow I was able to make moves.

On switch I want to finally beat the dude that runs the bar. I never could do it on Wii U. I got pretty close a bunch of times, but he does so much damage, and has a few attacks with very little warning.

Freyj

« Reply #2933 on: February 18, 2018, 01:19:01 PM »
I’m not sure I’ll ever actually play it, but I’m just glad Bayo 2 is on Switch now because that was one of the few Weeooo things I never picked up before selling it.

Mario Maker is another I guess but there’s always 3DS.

kingv

« Reply #2934 on: February 18, 2018, 02:16:40 PM »
Mario maker in certain will get another go, probably upgraded.

Corporal

« Reply #2935 on: February 18, 2018, 11:41:45 PM »
Mario Maker was fun (especially the 3DS one with the not so hidden genuine Mario game), but there's only so many times I can stomach the wild back and forth between levels that require subframe timing and intricate knowledge of bugs, labyrinth levels with dead ends, "clever" solutions and short time limits... and auto playing music levels.

Plus, honestly, my own Mario Making skills are abysmal and my fragile ego can only take so many reminders of that fact. So, meh to that.

Besides, after I'm done with Dragon Quest Builders I'm probably all burned out on block based creative games for a long ass time.

Kinda hoping they will drag out an old or create a new franchise. They met great success with Splatoon, Labo looks like it might at least garner some modest interest, and taking a part of the Mario Kart team and having them make a boxing game turned out okay as well. Plus, the experiment of making Zelda a sandbox game with Ubisoft sprinkles worked wonders. So I think there's a tiny chance we might see some more experimentation.
!list

agrajag

« Reply #2936 on: February 19, 2018, 09:00:32 AM »
There are so much stuff I missed out on with wii u that I want on the Switch. Mario Maker, 3D World, Tropical Freeze  :lawd

kingv

« Reply #2937 on: February 19, 2018, 09:25:49 AM »
You’re partially in luck. Tropical Freeze hits the Switch in May.

It’s a very well done platformer, despite having somewhat simple mechanics. It’s a game I really liked, but didn’t really have a drive to go back and 100% after beating it.

agrajag

« Reply #2938 on: February 19, 2018, 09:34:06 AM »
You’re partially in luck. Tropical Freeze hits the Switch in May.

It’s a very well done platformer, despite having somewhat simple mechanics. It’s a game I really liked, but didn’t really have a drive to go back and 100% after beating it.

I hope it's a lot better than DKCR, and by all accounts it is. DKC2 is my all timw favorite game.

kingv

« Reply #2939 on: February 19, 2018, 11:21:16 AM »
I’ve never played dkcr (despite owning it on 3DS) but TF is pretty damn good.