Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 946456 times)

archie4208

Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #3240 on: May 10, 2018, 11:31:21 AM »
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/994592992760619008

Nice.  It'll keep me occupied until World gets more content.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #3241 on: May 10, 2018, 11:32:49 AM »
The game I was waiting for. :)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3242 on: May 10, 2018, 11:35:57 AM »
I was just started watching Wotakoi yesterday, and it has two characters playing Monster Hunter XX for the Switch.
©@©™

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #3243 on: May 10, 2018, 12:55:11 PM »

Fucking finally.

They also announced a charging stand for $20 that should be useful for Smash in the fall

https://twitter.com/Protomario/status/994616161026363393

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3244 on: May 10, 2018, 01:06:14 PM »

Fucking finally.

I skipped World, but I may try this one.

LOL if this is one of the two "big games" that Capcom is planning to release by Spring 2019, though.
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #3245 on: May 10, 2018, 01:26:04 PM »
Is MHG Ultimate, the english version of XX?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3246 on: May 10, 2018, 01:26:58 PM »
Is MHG Ultimate, the english version of XX?

Yeah.  That leaves Dragon Quest Heroes I&II as the remaining "why wasn't this localized, idiots?" title for the Switch, alongside those Koei ports of a few Musou games with all the DLC included.  At least One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 is out today (digitally).  I'm importing the English-Asian physical version from P-A on that one.
ど助平

Skullfuckers Anonymous

« Reply #3247 on: May 10, 2018, 01:28:11 PM »

Fucking finally.

I skipped World, but I may try this one.

LOL if this is one of the two "big games" that Capcom is planning to release by Spring 2019, though.

I doubt it, seems like the two big games are going to be REmake2 and DMC5.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3248 on: May 10, 2018, 07:16:14 PM »
Still conflicted on Donkey Kong Switch

Yes, I already played it on Wii U but I also like 1080p resolution bumps and everything just plays so great with the Switch Pro Controller.
With Mario Kart 8 it took me about 6 months before I surrendered and re-bought it anyway. Might as well give up the struggle now  :doge
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3249 on: May 11, 2018, 05:41:42 PM »
So yeah, I got it and gave up the struggle. Hopefully my support for Donkey Kong increased the chances of another DKC game with David Wise music.

but first, more Xenoblade. I'm about 16 hours in now and the battle system is expanded again.
This game has one of the most insane battle systems ever but it is somehow very fun. Also the game is very pretty, at least the locales and the music  :rejoice

Also, I now have a cool dude with scars with a bird that has bags for breasts in my party instead of Tora the Pon-thing with the annoying voice and his maid robot.
🤴

agrajag

« Reply #3250 on: May 11, 2018, 07:27:56 PM »
downloaded the arms demo, not feeling the motion controls.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #3251 on: May 11, 2018, 09:09:50 PM »
every ensemble game from nintendo going forward should include the arms girl with the fat ass
pcp

agrajag

« Reply #3252 on: May 11, 2018, 10:15:12 PM »
that's my bootylicious waifu

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3253 on: May 11, 2018, 11:08:55 PM »

Use the regular controls.  So glad they included both options- motion controls  :yuck
ど助平

agrajag

« Reply #3254 on: May 11, 2018, 11:21:43 PM »

Use the regular controls.  So glad they included both options- motion controls  :yuck

it doesn't appear to be an option in the demo

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3255 on: May 12, 2018, 09:46:14 AM »
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3256 on: May 12, 2018, 10:39:40 AM »
I like how the announcer sounds hyped up in the English trailer, but in the Japanese trailer, the guy sounds kind of bored.

:goldberg
"THE OUT OF GUNVOLT"
ど助平

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #3257 on: May 13, 2018, 09:58:02 PM »
Played quite a bit of Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze.  I now remember why I wasn't a big fan of the game: outside of a few levels it's boring to me.  I'll play a couple levels and then get bored of it and want to do something else.  It's going to be hard to care about getting all of the unlockables in the game.

Also I impulse purchased Wonder Boy and will be playing that next after Tropical Freeze.
🍆🍆

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #3258 on: May 14, 2018, 04:02:25 PM »
Go for the time trials. Intense as hell and you gotta use speedrun techniques.

agrajag

« Reply #3259 on: May 14, 2018, 08:52:43 PM »
Getting really intrigued by this Retro Studios Star Fox racing game. A flying racing game where you could aim af and shoot the other pilots would be the tits.

archie4208

« Reply #3260 on: May 15, 2018, 03:18:15 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3261 on: May 15, 2018, 04:13:35 PM »
Getting really intrigued by this Retro Studios Star Fox racing game. A flying racing game where you could aim af and shoot the other pilots would be the tits.

Can't let you do that Star Fox  :doge
🤴

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #3262 on: May 15, 2018, 06:34:04 PM »

Looks so ridiculously good. Hopefully it doesn't shit the bed in the last quarter of the game like Bravely Default did.
^_^

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #3263 on: May 16, 2018, 01:32:23 PM »
Wonder Boy on sale on the eshop for $10. Picked up and definitely looking forward to playing it on a plane tomorrow.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3264 on: May 16, 2018, 01:39:16 PM »
Got Battle Chasers and the physical English version of One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 Deluxe Edition.  Was going to send Battle Chasers back to Amazon and wait for a price drop, but with pre-order discounts it was $25, so will keep I guess.

Then it's Hyrule Warriors on Friday.  :hyper  Dunno what's up with the influx of beat-em-ups from a couple of years ago popping up suddenly (Dragon's Crown Pro came out on PS4 yesterday), but it works for me!
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3265 on: May 16, 2018, 01:40:15 PM »
Let me know how Battle Chasers is, I've been interested in it for a while.
dog

Skullfuckers Anonymous

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #3267 on: May 16, 2018, 01:57:40 PM »
I played it a decent amount on Wii U but definitely excited for Hyrule Warriors to get the extra stuff that was on the 3DS version.

I'm also curious about Battle Chasers so please post impressions. I almost got that as a vacation game but $40 + heard there were performance issues on Switch so I held off for now.

Bebpo

« Reply #3268 on: May 16, 2018, 05:33:29 PM »
https://twitter.com/OkamiOfficial/status/996767341525397504

That looks kinda a cool way to play Okami but since you'd then need to move your hand back to the left analog real fast after, not sure how it'll work in practice. Potential could be great though.

agrajag

« Reply #3269 on: May 16, 2018, 06:44:12 PM »
Alright, picked up Tropical Freeze today, gonna play it in a few

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3270 on: May 16, 2018, 07:22:48 PM »
Looks so ridiculously good. Hopefully it doesn't shit the bed in the last quarter of the game like Bravely Default did.

Bravely Second > Bravely Default imo
©@©™

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3271 on: May 16, 2018, 11:23:44 PM »
Looks like I didn't even need to play Battle Chasers Nightwar for very long to see its flaws:

-Long load times.  It took a bit over 30 seconds to get from the first 'cut scene' (pretty much a voiced digital comic) to the first area of the game.  After that, it took another 30+ seconds to get the overworld map screen.
-Framerate: Walked around in the first area for a few minutes at most and the framerate was noticeably low.  Not really sure why since this game isn't really doing anything that the Switch shouldn't be able to handle.
-Stuttering: Saw it on the opening text crawl.  They couldn't even keep text going UP running smoothly.  LOL.

On the plus side:

-The visuals look pretty nice.  Probably better on other platforms with higher resolutions, but it's still pretty cool.  The battles appear to be running at a higher resolution than everything else and are the showcase graphically.  Nice animations on the characters.
-There's pretty much no load times when going into battles and it's like 2-3 seconds to go back to an area or the map after they finish.

Assuming the other versions of this game don't have the same performance issues and load times, I'd probably get this on another console or Steam unless you just have to have it for portable play.  Maybe they'll patch it and smooth some things out, but don't drop $40 on this.  I got it for $25 and I'd feel better if it had been $19.99.
ど助平

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #3272 on: May 17, 2018, 12:23:25 AM »
Just let me know when the actual Fire Emblem game is coming out so I can get a switch and bitch about it
yar

agrajag

« Reply #3273 on: May 17, 2018, 12:41:26 AM »
Alright, picked up Tropical Freeze today, gonna play it in a few

Playing the first level so far, initial thoughts:

Having fun with it, the graphics are gorgeous. I am liking it more than Returns so far. Some things bother me. The physics in the Returns games just don't feel as tight as in the original DKC games, something feels off. When you throw barrels or those weird turtle Koopa things, they feel small like they have no weight, and disintegrate as soon as they hit the ground, instead of satisfyingly roll through the enemies in front of them. Some things are like, if it ain't broke, why fix it?

Also, I hate that the roll is a trigger button. Why couldn't they just keep the original control scheme? Y button to roll->run->grab, it was so simple and perfect. As a player that endlessly spams the roll (it's the most fun way to play DKC), it's going to take time to adjust. I might try the alternate control scheme, but that didn't look good in the menu screen. Oh well.

I also don't like the constant hand-holding, every time you come across some piece of scenery you can interact something, the little piggy displays what button commands you need to press to activate the set piece. Is there a way to turn this off?

I swear, if they just kept some minor things intact like button placement, playing as different Kongs instead of weird piggyback system, one balloon instead of the heart system, and had Kremlings, Retro could make my God-tier game.. Simpler is better.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 12:49:23 AM by agrajag »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #3274 on: May 17, 2018, 11:02:58 AM »
You can swap the roll action to the y button
püp

agrajag

« Reply #3275 on: May 17, 2018, 11:15:23 AM »
You can swap the roll action to the y button

That's cool, but my main gripe that roll/action is not the same button anymore. If you do the swap, the action button becomes what, right trigger?

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #3276 on: May 17, 2018, 11:25:50 AM »
ah, I see what you mean. Yeah if you swap roll to Y, then the button to pick something up is the trigger I believe.
püp

archie4208

« Reply #3277 on: May 18, 2018, 09:01:33 PM »
HW

FEW characters are boring

agrajag

« Reply #3278 on: May 18, 2018, 10:12:58 PM »
Tropical Freeze still hasn't clicked with me  :-\

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3279 on: May 18, 2018, 10:24:04 PM »
HW

FEW characters are boring

Don't agree with that, but I think HW is the better game.  But if you finish HW and want more, definitely get Fire Emblem. 
ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #3280 on: May 19, 2018, 09:40:36 AM »
Man, shills had to compensate really hard when things like Donkey Kong were the only noteworthy game for sometimes up to 6 months on their dumb dead console. Hence most narratives revolving around WiiU games are just hyperbole you gotta put into perspective - "New Mario Bros' map pack#3 is the best 2D game evarrr!! Donkey Kong has the best music on this earth!! Shovelknight is the best indies have to offer" ( :lol ).

The thing that annoyed me the most about TF was that it was a total rehash. I replayed Donkey Kong Returns before it, so it was particularly blatant that TF barely offered any new level mechanic or dynamic, other than swimming - which was just lame. They didn't even bother to cut some of the originally bad stuff, like the flappy bird stages. The only decent surprise for me was to play partner characters solo in NG+.

However, in cases like this, criticism kind of goes away over the years. I.e. later I'd probably rather replay the slightly shinier version of the same thing, even if it was the totally wrong project at its own time.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 10:08:39 AM by Spieler1 »

Corporal

« Reply #3281 on: May 19, 2018, 09:48:05 AM »
Confession time: I... I never got what was so great about the DK games.
Or most of Rare's games.

I know, I know, philistine, burn the heathen, etc.

Can't help it. I don't like what I don't like.

Bought Minecraft after enjoying DQ Builders.
Mistake. This is like playing Ultima I after getting hooked on Skyrim. :yuck Or maybe Quest 64 after FF7/9? Anyway. Huuuuge step down in presentation and handholding. Has its charm no doubt, or I've just discovered I am too much of a filthy casual to handle the freeform Minecraft experience after getting spoiled on DQB... whatevs.

Then again, the server on which I had played with friends before doesn't exist anymore, so everything Minecraft feels kinda pointless. Why did I buy this.

Weirdly enough: Despite the disappointment, I feel a slight craving for Terraria or Starbound.
!list

paprikastaude

« Reply #3282 on: May 19, 2018, 11:15:18 AM »
While I think Rare's best games had legit good gameplay/leveldesign, one of the main draws was still their specific presentation style. You like it or don't :trumps

Speaking of which, does anyone how the SNES Virtual Console is on 3DS? I recently replayed DKC1 and kind of want to get DKC2 on 3DS, unless they have the same crappy emulation as on WiiU with weird dark filters

agrajag

« Reply #3283 on: May 19, 2018, 01:42:07 PM »
Tropical Freeze still hasn't clicked with me  :-\

It never clicked with me and I loved DKCR.

I think the combination of being on a failed platform + backlash due to it being the next Retro game + general Nintard delusion overhyped it to insane magnitudes.

There's just too many things. It's so busy. It's like they were trying to out-Rare latter day Rare when they made this. Now balloons can save you from falling, you get all sorts of weird upgrades to keep track of, you come up with multiple button solutions to actions that were elegantly done with a single button before. Keep it simple, stupid. Even David Wise's score doesn't hold up to the originals so far (I am on world 2 right now).

That being said, I just played the first mine cart level and it was pretty good.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #3284 on: May 19, 2018, 02:07:34 PM »
There's just a lot of dumb gimmicks in Tropical Freeze.  I'd be more forgiving if the game was more fun but it isn't.  It felt like a game that had a checklist of things they had to incorporate so they would just shove them in and call it a day.  I'm sure there will be a DKCR 3 for the Switch so here's hoping they don't fuck that one up.
🍆🍆

paprikastaude

« Reply #3285 on: May 19, 2018, 02:23:02 PM »
Even David Wise's score doesn't hold up to the originals so far (I am on world 2 right now).

It has some good music, but don't expect anything in the league of Aquatic Ambience or the overall coherence/quality of DKC2... But then again, I guess the new graphical style with much more striking colours and things exploding constantly doesn't really lend itself to the moody songs of old Doney Kong.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 02:27:33 PM by Spieler1 »

agrajag

« Reply #3286 on: May 19, 2018, 02:40:42 PM »
Corporal, I'll try to explain what I like about the Rare DK game (with the caveat that I only like, nay love, the first two, and abhor DKC3).

spoiler (click to show/hide)
long carepost incoming
[close]

The first game came out when I was 12, and at the time there was nothing like it graphically. Nowadays pre-rendered graphics are seen as nothing more than a cheap gimmick, but back then it was unheard of. It made a huge impression on that front alone. The game was Nintendo's effort to revitilize the SNES platform, as I believe the PSX had come out by that time. And DKC, although restricted to the 2D plane, looked a hell of a lot more polished and detailed than the early PS 3D games.

Now, graphics are important, but superficial. What kept me playing is the art style, the music, and the game mechanics. There's something that Rare got so perfect about the mechanics and physics of the game that I still find lacking in the Retro sequels. It just feels right, it feels great to bounce and roll around as Donkey or Diddy. When I first fired it up, you can go into Donkey's little treehouse in the first level. It's a simple little sandbox where all you can do is bounce around on a tire. But it feels so satisfying. And that little segment right there is the selling pitch for the entire game.

The game play can be described as kinetic. The physics/mechanics are set up that you can simply hold down the d-pad to run forwards and if you see a chain of enemies bounce off each one with perfect precision without stopping and without much effort. In many respects, it's more fast paced than Sonic games wish they could be. Yeah, Sonic gets super fast, but you have to stop all the time. You can run through most DKC levels without stopping. And it feels amazing.

Also, while it's not the most complex platformer, it did introduce a lot of cool mechanics that were unique to it (afaik). Blast barrels, bouncy tires, hooks suspended in the air, mine cart levels, levels where you spend the entire level on a moving platform that you have to refuel so it doesn't fall down. Animal buddies. Water levels where the water becomes boiling hot so you have to basically hit switches so you don't die.

The games' art design and sound design was also dripping with personality, which made me fell in love with it as a kid. I know a lot of people dislike the ubiquitous Rare design of googley-eyed mascots, but I think the first two DKC games were the pinnacle of Rare's design without becoming too goofy or cutesy. Hell, the fact that they've kept the same Donkey model that Rare created after all these years is testament to the timeless design. The enemies are all varied and have their own personality. You have the fat man-boobed Klumps, the muscle-bound Krusha's and Crunchya's, the tiny ankle biters Klampons and Klaptraps, etc. And they all make a satisfyingly hilarious croaking sound when you jump on them.

The level backgrounds are also beautiful and varied with many layers of paralax scrolling: whether it is rows of palm trees, silhouetted by the setting tropical sun, or imposing spruces, or treetop houses reminiscent of the Ewok village in ROTJ, pirate galleys, industrial backdrops of factories, snowy landscapes, I could go on and on.

And I won't even waste time singing praises to David Wise's masterful compositions. He is well regarded.

Fuck it, I am getting too verbose in trying to write a love letter to my favorite games, just watch these two videos:

« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 01:51:15 AM by agrajag »

Cryo

« Reply #3287 on: May 19, 2018, 04:05:52 PM »
While I think Rare's best games had legit good gameplay/leveldesign, one of the main draws was still their specific presentation style. You like it or don't :trumps

Speaking of which, does anyone how the SNES Virtual Console is on 3DS? I recently replayed DKC1 and kind of want to get DKC2 on 3DS, unless they have the same crappy emulation as on WiiU with weird dark filters
I only played Earthbound on my 3DS, but IIRC it had a dark filter.

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #3288 on: May 20, 2018, 01:11:40 AM »
Corporal, I'll try to explain what I like about the Rare DK game (with the caveat that I only like, nay love, the first two, and abhor DKC3).

The game play can be described as kinetic. The physics/mechanics are set up that you can simply hold down the d-pad to run forwards and if you see a chain of enemies bounce off each one with perfect precision without stopping and without much energy. In many respects, it's more fast paced than Sonic games wish they could be. Yeah, Sonic gets super fast, but you have to stop all the time. You can run through most DKC levels without stopping. And it feels amazing.

this is exactly why I loved DKC2 so much, you can play it like a rhythm game. When I got Returns I was really disappointed because you were forced to stop at times.

El Babua

« Reply #3289 on: May 20, 2018, 01:26:46 AM »
TF is the most rhythmic and skill based Donkey Kong out there. Just git gud at it.

:rejoice

agrajag

« Reply #3290 on: May 20, 2018, 01:52:21 AM »
Too much work to do shit that shouldn't require a steep learning curve, especially when the mechanics aren't intuitive. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #3291 on: May 20, 2018, 07:16:02 AM »
TF is the most rhythmic and skill based Donkey Kong out there.

:doge

did none of you scrubs play Jungle Beat
pcp

Corporal

« Reply #3292 on: May 20, 2018, 07:54:53 AM »

long carepost incoming
[close]

The first game came out when I was 12 ...(SNIP)
Ahahaha, that was an enjoyable read. Thanks for trying to convey the whys and hows of your appreciation for the game(s). Much appreciated.

My encounter with DKC was far less enlightening, I fear. I was a scant few years older when the game released. The "Donkey Kong Country Exposed" VHS promo tape was my first contact with it. (It probably wasn't even half as bad as I remember it, but geeeeez... the cringe!)

Couple that with the design decision to favour the "my way or the highway" approach to enemy and platforming encounters, and my already limited enthusiasm evaporated pretty quickly. Sure, you can play through the level without letting go on a direction on the dpad, but conversely often the alternative is a terrible slog that feels like a punishment, or an actual loss of progress. By the time I had digested the design language I was already on my way out. At times, it felt like the CD-i approach to games, with short skill checks peppered sparsely across a vast amount of frankly unnecessary eye candy.

Bonus dark past: I was dabbling in POVray at the time and was convinced I could do a much better job at doing the graphics, given a bit of time for training and a render farm like Rare. ::) Ah, youth.  :lol
[close]
!list

agrajag

« Reply #3293 on: May 20, 2018, 08:56:38 AM »
Could you elaborate on the my way or the highway approach to enemies and how that's different from other platformers and also game feeling like a slog at times and a CDi game? I haven't found either to be the xase, but interested to see why you think that. In either case I have a feeling that DKC2 would have addressed some of your concerns.

I only saw that Nintendo hype VHS on youtube many years later, I could see how it would elicit a cringe response and some backlash for the fame. My first exposure to it was at a demo station Nintendo used to have in all the electronics and toy stores and I was immediately blown away and hooked.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 09:18:09 AM by agrajag »

agrajag

« Reply #3294 on: May 20, 2018, 10:35:54 AM »
Ok, I am starting to enjoy Tropical Freeze a lot more. Getting acclimated to the controls as I play in small doses, and now I can blow through some of the levels on first try. The second mine cart level (the one with the buzzsaw chasing you) was exciting. And Alpine Incline is the first track where David Wise is in his top form, finally some music worthy of the first two games.  :clap

agrajag

« Reply #3295 on: May 20, 2018, 11:03:28 AM »
I liked your long post about DKC, Agra. But I kind of have to disagree with the sonic comparison. Then again I'm an old school Sonicfeg who gets into a rhythm replaying them so take that with a grain of salt. You have a point if we're talking Sonic 1, though. Which aged worse than the other games by a ton of metrics even if my nostalgia still holds it up for me.

Old school Sonic, DKC1 and 2 and the amazing Yoshi's Island are my go to side scrollers for the record.

:doge

did none of you scrubs play Jungle Beat

That game is legit fantastic though. I will fight you.

I will concede that not being a fan of Sonic and being bad at Sonic games, I might not be fair. But my experience with the games is the pace of the game does get interrupted at times. Also, I hate how everything blends in Sonic games, the enemies and items blend in with the backgrounds, maybe that's just me. I like how DKC basically is the middle ground between Sonic and Mario, Mario is much slower paced, Sonic is gotta go fast (in bursts imo), and DKC is kind of mid-range but steady flow.

agrajag

« Reply #3296 on: May 20, 2018, 12:07:07 PM »
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 12:13:00 PM by agrajag »

paprikastaude

« Reply #3297 on: May 20, 2018, 12:25:36 PM »
Jungle Beat has GOAT Donkey Kong.

agrajag

« Reply #3298 on: May 20, 2018, 12:33:32 PM »
Nooooo :(

I never played Jungle Beat, was never interested in using the stupid bongo controllers.

agrajag

« Reply #3299 on: May 20, 2018, 12:45:43 PM »
they should rerelease Jungle Beat on Switch, the graphics look pretty nice already, the game could look sweet in 1080p