Author Topic: This US election, white people, and the aftermath  (Read 43475 times)

Himu

This US election, white people, and the aftermath
« on: November 08, 2016, 12:10:01 PM »
Ever since Ferguson I've been angry and felt like I couldn't do anything. I got into activism, and the more and more I saw reactions from white people about black safety, and black lives, and black security, and black freedom the more their culture, their history, and their people make me fucking sick.

This election just sealed those emotions as white people came out of the woodwork to show their colors.

At this point, I do not like white people. I do not have white friends. I do not mess with white people and I think their culture is ethically bankrupt and disgusting. The fact that if minorities didn't vote in today's election, Trump would win tells me everything I know.

I am fully aware this is becoming a form of hate for me. But I can't stop despite being fully aware of it. I feel like a hypocrite and like one of the people I hate. I don't know how to fix it. I try to empathize but ultimately come to the conclusion that white people and their sickness and their racism is their problem and not for me to empathize with. I have a full on "fuck em, leave me alone cac, I want nothing to do with you" attitude with white people now. It didn't always use to be like this. I had plenty of white friends and I'd support them. But since Ferguson I've done a massive thinning of my social circle and have come to the conclusion that most white people aren't shit and it's a waste of time thinking or hoping they aren't shit.

This emotion isn't going away and it only got stronger and stronger the closer we got to Election Day.

I'm not sure what to do.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 01:04:07 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Himu

Re: This US election, white people, and the aftermath
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 12:16:27 PM »
I read stuff like this.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/11/07/those_insanely_long_early_voting_lines_were_a_result_of_republican_voter.html

Or the stuff about Prince Harry dating a black woman and my reaction is instinctly,"white peoole are dog shit, their culture is dog shit, and they will always be dog shit."

Change my view.
IYKYK

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 12:28:51 PM »
My top 5 white characters in Final Fantasy:

5. Locke
4. Lulu
3. Kain
2. Cloud
1. Sephorith

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 12:31:25 PM »
Sephorith really was a valid herald of white culture. 

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 12:32:07 PM »
But I'm pretty damn white :(

Himu

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 12:33:19 PM »
Your grandmother was Mexican. I do not filter you as white in my head.
IYKYK

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 12:35:49 PM »
One of them was.  My other grandma is Cherokee.  My Grandfather was a good ol' Kentucky boy - papa too.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 12:44:56 PM »
People are shitheads no matter what the race. Yes this culture of ours produces a system where racism is entrenched and easily passed down but that's a cultural and historic problem. That is America.

People are generally fine on an individual level but when they group up they become morons.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 12:46:55 PM »
I prefer the Dr. Khalid Abdul Muhammad version.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 12:54:44 PM »
People are shitheads no matter what the race. Yes this culture of ours produces a system where racism is entrenched and easily passed down but that's a cultural and historic problem. That is America.

People are generally fine on an individual level but when they group up they become morons.

This is true, but white people happen to have been in charge and have society set up to cater to them, so QoI's complaints are valid.

I say that as a white person that benefits from this shit every day of his life. Also- whooooo being a straight dude on top of being white! I hit the privilege trifecta.
yar

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 01:00:12 PM »
Trump is dispiriting on a number of levels. I understand that. He is a candidate that has pretty much embraced everything rational people find disgusting and half of the country will go vote for him today. That says something no matter how much people will try to spin it and say well I just voted for him because he was the republican candidate. Never mind the large swath of people who actively and eagerly support what he stands for.

I mean its disgusting but I kind of always prefer to see the true ugliness we are working against rather than the papered over ugliness that existed in its place. So in that sense I welcome Trump.

I have a dumb-ass black brother in law who is voting for Trump. (Because his white pastor told him to). So the dumbness and ugliness isn't a skin thing. It's a dumb people with dumb people thing. And America is full of those.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 01:06:42 PM by Stoney Mason »

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 01:15:33 PM »
And y'all think I'm the crazy one :ufup
YMMV

Himu

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 01:15:40 PM »
One of them was.  My other grandma is Cherokee.  My Grandfather was a good ol' Kentucky boy - papa too.

Exactly. I don't filter you as white in my head. My grandmother was native too.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 01:16:18 PM »
And y'all think I'm the crazy one :ufup

If you think this is isolated to me, you should probably read more black newspapers.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2016, 01:17:34 PM »
if the newspapers are black how do you read the words?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2016, 01:17:58 PM »
That's probably the corniest stuff to say but it is true nonetheless : It's not white people and it's not race (since "human races" aren't a thing).
What is it, I don't know, maybe liberalism, European culture since 1XXX or something else ? I guess that's for you to say.
I get that in the USA today it's unfortunately the same thing because those race lines are deeply entrenched, but really it's not just semantics.

Beyond that, what can we say ? As long as you don't end up sniping randos in the streets, you're entitled to your opinions.
ὕβρις

Himu

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2016, 01:20:19 PM »
I definitely don't think they should die. They're still human.
IYKYK

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2016, 01:35:05 PM »
One thing I've noticed from lots of white people on both sides of the aisle is they find it very hard to accept that black people can hate white people for treating them like human garbage for years while simultaneously finding the fact that lots of white people hate black people because of the color of their skin not too difficult.
vin

Himu

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2016, 01:37:20 PM »
One thing I've noticed from lots of white people on both sides of the aisle is they find it very hard to accept that black people can hate white people for treating them like human garbage for years while simultaneously finding the fact that lots of white people hate black people because of the color of their skin not too difficult.

It is a way to make themselves the victim. They're pretty easy to predict.
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2016, 01:44:18 PM »
Given my close proximity to a certain daughter of Yakub I am not qualified to post my thoughts in this thread.

I only ask that Toku speak for me at my inevitable race traitor trial.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2016, 01:45:20 PM »
The dogma is just going to have to die. That's all I can come up with. As much as I'd like it to be an overnight change it's not going to happen. The Old Ones with their Old Ways will have to just fade away.

I mean "Make America Great Again" as a slogan?

I work with someone who yesterday said "there's someone who has AIDS at that restaurant." Same person who doesn't understand that Islam <> evil. There is literally nothing you can do to change these peoples' minds after they've been in their bubble for so long. Maybe their kids will be better, maybe not.

The only place they get their views are from television.
rub

Trurl

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2016, 01:47:30 PM »
I have to imagine that the good white people excusing racism from their family members gets old.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2016, 01:50:55 PM »
I have to imagine that the good white people excusing racism from their family members gets old.

How do you reach people who don't want to be reached or want to learn to accept?

Better yet, here's my problem, right here: I, me... I am not willing to tell my family otherwise. So there, it's me. *I* may very well be the problem. Words and not actions.
rub

Boredfrom

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2016, 02:14:05 PM »
Your grandmother was Mexican. I do not filter you as white in my head.

There is Mexican white people, thought. Or Mexican natives that get the short end of the stick because they isolated and not mixed.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2016, 02:16:17 PM »

But what do you do when you tell them over and over again to ixnay-on-the-acismray, and they are so stuck in their ways, short of disowning them?
^_^

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2016, 02:18:11 PM »
All I can really say here is that the issues you have are not with all white people.  They're with a particular group of people.   Is this stuff stemming from Internet idiocy or actual real-life local interactions and conversations?  If it's the latter...maybe it's time for a location change.  I thought you were heading to California?

But I can't relate here-- No racists (or Trump supporters  :doge) in my family.
ど助平

Trurl

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2016, 02:18:25 PM »

How do you reach people who don't want to be reached or want to learn to accept?

Better yet, here's my problem, right here: I, me... I am not willing to tell my family otherwise. So there, it's me. *I* may very well be the problem. Words and not actions.
I argue with my immediate family all of the time but not family outside of that. 

The problem is that people can be complicated.  For example, my Trump supporting mother once gave a black lady at a veterinarian's office $100+ to help her pay a bill when the lady came up short.  It was an act of generosity that I doubt many leftists on the internet have matched.  At the same time my mom is legitimately bigoted against Muslims and believes that the entire religion is at war with the West.

So I get to have this nuanced view of my mother as a person who is exceptionally fair to people in one on one interactions, but holds repugnant views about some people as groups.  The thing that I feel guilty about is that a white person associating with a racist white person is the social equivalent of using a white only facility.  You don't get to have a nuanced view of a person who wants nothing to do with you because of the color of your skin or your religion. 

That said I can't disown her because of filial piety, love and a need for money.

Himu

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2016, 02:30:52 PM »
All I can really say here is that the issues you have are not with all white people.  They're with a particular group of people.   Is this stuff stemming from Internet idiocy or actual real-life local interactions and conversations?  If it's the latter...maybe it's time for a location change.  I thought you were heading to California?

I'm not so sure about that. If you are white, and have shown yourself to be cool, then fine. I certainly think that of  many on this forum that I've talked to for over a decade. Some of whom are in this very thread.

But then there's the fact that most people online and offline, have shown to people one should err on the side of caution. You've got the Trump supporters who are totally voting for him because of the "issues", you've got former Trump supporters who were totally fine with him until his sexist tape was released, you've got the media (mostly operated by white people) that gloss over Trump's racism and xenophobia to be "fair and balanced", you have white people who are convinced that Trump and Hillary are totally the same and on the same level and live in la la land, you've got white liberals and "progressives" who told us that we should vote Bernie because we don't know what's good for us (note: I voted and campaigned for Bernie despite this and had to stomach this white cac shit show). Black people want people (namely the police, who are supposed to be enforcers of law) to stop killing us in cold blood. Well guess what, BLUE LIVES MATTER TOO. I had to endure for 8 years, rumors and heresay that our president was a Muslim athiest communist dictator fascist on the premise that he was black. When a 12 year old kid gets shot down from police, people defend it. Fascism is brewing in Europe, Britain voted to leave the EU on the premise of protecting it from the Muslim menace. France has voted to outlaw muslim bikinis for some reason. From the media, to the most white organizations, to governance, to elected officials, to every day people that support it white people have shown that they are a culture incapable of basic human empathy and are dog shit with some exceptions.

As for California, things happened and my move was delayed. Plans have been altered but it's still the plan.
IYKYK

Boredfrom

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2016, 02:35:16 PM »

I'm not so sure about that. If you are white, and have shown yourself to be cool, then fine. I certainly think that of  many on this forum that I've talked to for over a decade. Some of whom are in this very thread.

But then there's the fact that most people online and offline, have shown to people one should err on the side of caution. You've got the Trump supporters who are totally voting for him because of the "issues", you've got former Trump supporters who were totally fine with him until his sexist tape was released, you've got the media (mostly operated by white people) that gloss over Trump's racism and xenophobia to be "fair and balanced", you have white people who are convinced that Trump and Hillary are totally the same and on the same level and live in la la land, you've got white liberals and "progressives" who told us that we should vote Bernie because we don't know what's good for us (note: I voted and campaigned for Bernie despite this and had to stomach this white cac shit show). Black people want people (namely the police, who are supposed to be enforcers of law) to stop killing us in cold blood. Well guess what, BLUE LIVES MATTER TOO. I had to endure for 8 years, rumors and heresay that our president was a Muslim athiest communist dictator fascist on the premise that he was black. When a 12 year old kid gets shot down from police, people defend it. Fascism is brewing in Europe, Britain voted to leave the EU on the premise of protecting it from the Muslim menace. France has voted to outlaw muslim bikinis for some reason. From the media, to the most white organizations, to governance, to elected officials, to every day people that support it white people have shown that they are a culture incapable of basic human empathy and are dog shit with some exceptions.

As for California, things happened and my move was delayed. Plans have been altered but it's still the plan.

So is only politics?

Take a break after the election.

Himu

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2016, 02:35:58 PM »
If you think this is only politics, you are extremely naive. This is about simply existing.
IYKYK

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2016, 02:37:55 PM »
the world is changing, for the better. Its happening slowly, but it is happening.

We are becoming a country, a world even that is more inclusive, less afraid of gay people, that provides better opportunities to women and people of color, that gives more respect to people from different cultures. Things can look terrible now, but that we're even seeing the injustices that used to be invisible still counts as progress. That the almost always obstacles to these sorts of progress is white men is not something I can hand wave away. Progress always comes at a price, there's always an opposing pushback, progress always wins though, it takes time, but it does. I'm 36, and the social progress I've seen just in my lifetime heartens me, which I always need to remember when I so often see the regressive and cruel injustices that still riddle this society.

Boredfrom

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2016, 02:39:08 PM »
Dunno if is naive, but you need to take a break in following politics in anycase as is becoming obssesive in very bad degree.

Im mexican BTW.

Himu

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2016, 02:44:32 PM »
how am i supposed to take a break exactly? after the election those people aren't going away.
IYKYK

Boredfrom

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2016, 02:54:51 PM »
how am i supposed to take a break exactly? after the election those people aren't going away.

What did you do before going full into political activism? How do you entertein yourself outside following politics in the internet?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2016, 02:57:52 PM »

OK.  But there are plenty of people out there equally against the negative things you just mentioned from all races, ethnicities, cultures, etc.  It's not so black and white...no pun intended.

You're right that nothing is going just up and change if you take a "break," but it might help to mentally relax and not be concerned with politics and the like for a little bit.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2016, 02:58:46 PM »
Americans are crazy, man.

Jesus.

I don't know about you, but I don't have time to put people into groups-- I hate fucking everybody.  Been around the world and assholes are everywhere.

Humans
:neogaf

People suck.  There are some cool individuals out there, though.
ど助平

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2016, 03:14:41 PM »
I'm a big lover of the book "Guns, Germs and Steel" and I always wonder what it would have been like if someone other than western Europe hit the Industrial Revolution first... like say, the Ming Dynasty didn't halt the Chinese navy, or a Mesoamerican civilization industrialized while Europe was still stuck in the Dark Ages. Would the people who ruled over be more or less bloodthirsty as the whites of the colonial era?
^_^

Syph

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2016, 03:24:48 PM »
 :holeup
XO

Boredfrom

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2016, 03:29:52 PM »
I'm a big lover of the book "Guns, Germs and Steel" and I always wonder what it would have been like if someone other than western Europe hit the Industrial Revolution first... like say, the Ming Dynasty didn't halt the Chinese navy, or a Mesoamerican civilization industrialized while Europe was still stuck in the Dark Ages. Would the people who ruled over be more or less bloodthirsty as the whites of the colonial era?

Short answer, probably not. Still a tricky question thought as their cultures and social realities where way different to end being straight modus operandi of european colonialism.

White people have more advantages in the world by dafault because colonialism and all that, true. But I m not going to pretend that people of other skin colors or cultures can not act like pricks. 

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2016, 03:30:00 PM »
"Take a break black person living in the South"

- White people on the internet
vin

Tasty

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2016, 03:31:50 PM »
My conundrum is:

1. I'm a white person.
2. I care about racial inequality.
3. But at the same time, I'm out of my depth. I both admit and have been told that I can't relate to the black experience in America, because I can't.
4. I've also been told I can't be an "ally" because white liberals don't really care, and I don't want to act like I can speak for (or at) the black community.

So for now I basically have to be content with doing nothing for non-whites other than voting for Democrats and pro-black policies. Sucks but whatever.

Boredfrom

« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2016, 03:32:08 PM »
"Take a break black person living in the South"

- White people on the internet

Im not white, lol.

But taking a break is the best advice here as it is akwnoledged that is becoming a obsesion to him. It can affect his mental healt in general, being honest.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2016, 03:35:42 PM »

Probably just as bad if not worse

There are other developments that kept things in check somewhat, Rennesaince, Enlightment etc.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2016, 03:42:56 PM »
Pretty much, don't overthink shit and be normal amd decent. Lead by example.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2016, 03:43:45 PM »
My conundrum is:

1. I'm a white person.
3. But at the same time, I'm out of my depth. I both admit and have been told that I can't relate to the black experience in America, because I can't.
4. I've also been told I can't be an "ally" because white liberals don't really care, and I don't want to act like I can speak for (or at) the black community.

So for now I basically have to be content with doing nothing for non-whites other than voting for Democrats and pro-black policies. Sucks but whatever.

CUCK

Himu

« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2016, 03:43:58 PM »
Fucking Canadians. That's another thing. The type of white person who acts like this shit is above them even if they live in a country that was based on native suffering but HOLD IT YOU'RE BEING EXTREME and this problem is only unique to America like some holier than thou fuck stain who is above shit like this because they live in the Wintery Wonderland (tm) where there is no racism and only love, poutine, and hockey. Eat shit.
IYKYK

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2016, 03:46:02 PM »
I got fished in.
rub

Boredfrom

« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2016, 03:48:05 PM »
Fucking Canadians. That's another thing. The type of white person who acts like this shit is above them even if they live in a country that was based on native suffering but HOLD IT YOU'RE BEING EXTREME and this problem is only unique to America like some holier than thou fuck stain who is above shit like this because they live in the Wintery Wonderland (tm) where there is no racism and only love, poutine, and hockey. Eat shit.

The whole point is that shit is not above everybody, including race.

Himu

« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2016, 03:48:48 PM »
My conundrum is:

1. I'm a white person.

You are fine.
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2016, 03:50:31 PM »
I unfortunately don't think it's just the politics "game" (though certainly it made things way more acute). But really I was serious in my previous post : Pardon me in advance if it's hyperbole but you are free to Marcus Garvey / Black Panther yourself up to the max if you so wish and to remove yourself from some interactions with white people (though you'll maybe still have to deal with the Man for taxes and assorted stuff). It's maybe not the politically correct thing to say because we're all expecting the imminent release of that perfect post-racial society™ any day now, and that's not something I believe goes the right way, but I'm not in your shoes you know ? As I said, so long as it's legal... Live and let live. Because really, I don't think there's any miracle dust or magic argument we'll be able to summon in an Internet thread. I'd say travelling in a foreign country might help you exit an environment that you currently feel as toxic and maybe gain different perspectives, but the money and/or time to be able to do this is in short supply for quite a number of people (myself included).

They probably would have. I mean Genghis Khan didn't have to be taught by some European dude...
Though Europe was already on top of its game about that colonization stuff in the "dark" ages. (Raymond IV of Toulouse yo)
ὕβρις

Himu

« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2016, 03:54:05 PM »
I agree Vom.

My problem is the emotion of hate. It is tiring and hurtful. How do I get past that emotion? It needs to go away.
IYKYK

Boredfrom

« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2016, 03:57:37 PM »
I unfortunately don't think it's just the politics "game" (though certainly it made things way more acute).

Well, that is clear that because the reaction of "canadian scum". But I will say that going full BP is a stupid idea regardless of being PC or not, specially because there is a admition that there were normalcy some years ago.

Himu

« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2016, 03:59:01 PM »
Why is going full Black Panthers stupid exactly?
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2016, 04:00:18 PM »
Look Himu, its a shit sandwich being a discriminated minority and it's not fair, but turning inwards won't win any fights and you have to be stronger then that.

My grandma was in fucking Auschwitz and her dad died in the camps but she doesn't hate Germans and if she can get over it then who the fuck am I to get notions

Boredfrom

« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2016, 04:01:42 PM »
Why is going full Black Panthers stupid exactly?

Becuase you said you were perfectly capable of not being obssesed about race or hate before Ferguson.

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2016, 04:02:26 PM »
Just saying, what used to be the most powerful country in the world now has to choose between the two worst and almost cartoon like candidates as their leader. And its making people have nervous breakdowns all over the internet.

One day, you can have a leader like us.

(Image removed from quote.)

An American black man was just beaten to death by a random group in Toronto

This shit is everywhere

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2016, 04:02:34 PM »
I dunno man. I wish I knew. I'll say hold for tomorrow : Trump voters will not vanish overnight, but maybe the constant hysteria (EMAIL ! FBI ! MOOZLEMS ! DEPORTATIONS !) will quiet down a little and you'll be able to catch your breath.
ὕβρις

Himu

« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2016, 04:03:32 PM »
Just saying, what used to be the most powerful country in the world now has to choose between the two worst and almost cartoon like candidates as their leader. And its making people have nervous breakdowns all over the internet.

One day, you can have a leader like us.

(Image removed from quote.)

An American black man was just beaten to death by a random group in Toronto

This shit is everywhere

Yup. Cacs think it's just an American thing.
IYKYK

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2016, 04:04:20 PM »
It should be pointed out that the vast majority of white people are not "I don't like black people and I think their culture is disgusting" level racist. There are plenty of vocal shitheads on the internet, but there are a lot more white people of the "Obama elected, racism over" variety of racist than card carrying cross-burner types. I understand your frustration, but it does seem like you're taking a toll on yourself by creating this monotlithic view of white people. Hell, you're giving a dude in South Boston a pass in this very thread - if you can concede someone there is aaight, you should know there are other people on that level.

I also find it hard to believe you find the entirety of white culture disgusting, but if that's how it is, fine, I'll just be over here eating chicken salad with basil aoili while watching Westworld and playing with Legos (which I know isn't the correct plural, but I'm so white that I don't even respect other white cultures)