Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5538776 times)

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| Okay friend let me explain something...
« Reply #12000 on: December 12, 2017, 09:41:50 PM »
new york times election meter  :jeanluc
QED

agrajag

Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| Okay friend let me explain something...
« Reply #12001 on: December 12, 2017, 09:50:19 PM »
Lol at Reee, they're reeeeing like it's the 2016 presidential election

MIMIC

« Reply #12002 on: December 12, 2017, 10:02:59 PM »
Well at least Jones is close.

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #12003 on: December 12, 2017, 10:13:47 PM »
fuck him up jones
QED

archie4208

« Reply #12004 on: December 12, 2017, 10:16:48 PM »

Nola

« Reply #12005 on: December 12, 2017, 10:17:23 PM »
new york times election meter  :jeanluc

Wasnt the NY Times model the first one to show the Trump shift in 2016 while all the other models were still showing Hillary?

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #12006 on: December 12, 2017, 10:23:02 PM »
Yes, but:
1) 538 always gave Trump a better chance (33%) and
2) "first one to show" was because NYT was way more sensitive to polling. The whole reason 538 was closer than all the others was because they (correctly) assigned more uncertainty.
每天生气

« Reply #12007 on: December 12, 2017, 10:26:39 PM »
GET FUCKED MOORE AND TRUMP

:bolo

MIMIC

« Reply #12008 on: December 12, 2017, 10:27:39 PM »
Going to bed soon, but hopefully the seemingly impossible was possible. An 11K lead this late in the race is pretty good.

Go, Jones.

archie4208

« Reply #12009 on: December 12, 2017, 10:27:48 PM »
Trump's Twitter rants.  :lawd

Christmas comes 13 days early.  :lawd

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #12010 on: December 12, 2017, 10:29:50 PM »
CNN projects it for Jones.

Get fucked, Moore. :punch
MMA

MIMIC

« Reply #12011 on: December 12, 2017, 10:31:43 PM »
HOLY SHIT! HE WON! NYT REDEEMED! lol

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #12012 on: December 12, 2017, 10:32:48 PM »
Republicans needed a better pedophile to pull this one out.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #12013 on: December 12, 2017, 10:35:21 PM »
A child-molesting bigot barely lost a US Senate election, and I'm ridiculously happy.

Crushingly low expectations! :rejoice

Freyj

« Reply #12014 on: December 12, 2017, 10:42:27 PM »
I can’t believe Lee went +15.

This is so good.

FStop7

« Reply #12015 on: December 12, 2017, 10:43:23 PM »
BUT SETH RICH

Nola

« Reply #12016 on: December 12, 2017, 10:44:00 PM »
Yes, but:
1) 538 always gave Trump a better chance (33%) and
2) "first one to show" was because NYT was way more sensitive to polling. The whole reason 538 was closer than all the others was because they (correctly) assigned more uncertainty.

I'm talking more about there election night model that adjusts the amount of actual returns with expected returns and adjusts as new data comes in. So far that has been a go-to and pretty damn reliable.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #12017 on: December 12, 2017, 10:45:53 PM »
Roy Moore: loser

Nola

« Reply #12018 on: December 12, 2017, 10:46:25 PM »
Moore going to win.

Jones is going to win.

Turnout is going to be low for conservatives and Democrats are going to be mobilized. Write-in votes and abstention is going to put the nail in the coffin for Moore.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Nothing changed in my post, I've been saying this all night. I promise. That edit marker is fake news, like Moore's victory.
[close]

I've been calling it all night.

I never doubted Jones and the good people of Alabama, not once.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12019 on: December 12, 2017, 10:46:51 PM »
OMG

Stoney Mason

« Reply #12020 on: December 12, 2017, 10:47:46 PM »
Just 27% of white voters backed Jones, compared to 70% for Moore.

America in a nutshell

agrajag

« Reply #12021 on: December 12, 2017, 10:50:40 PM »
Thank Dougie

Freyj

« Reply #12022 on: December 12, 2017, 10:51:47 PM »

America in a nutshell

I think that was the exit polls right?

Not that it changes the fact that minority voters saved the day here (as usual, but especially today).

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #12023 on: December 12, 2017, 10:53:59 PM »
USA Today editorial:

A president who would all but call Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand a whore is not fit to clean the toilets in the Barack Obama Presidential Library or to shine the shoes of George W. Bush

Gawdamn.  :whew
MMA

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #12024 on: December 12, 2017, 10:54:06 PM »
PoC coming clutch  :whew

kingv

« Reply #12025 on: December 12, 2017, 10:55:04 PM »

America in a nutshell

That’s just so crazy to me.

Who are these people?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12026 on: December 12, 2017, 10:55:05 PM »
Triggers recount.  This going to be a story till mid Jan.   

Stoney Mason

« Reply #12027 on: December 12, 2017, 10:55:13 PM »
I think that was the exit polls right?

yeah

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #12028 on: December 12, 2017, 10:57:15 PM »
I know people say Steve Bannon is a cretinous racist, but you gotta admit, he also sucks at picking candidates for state elections

Stoney Mason

« Reply #12029 on: December 12, 2017, 10:57:53 PM »

America in a nutshell

That’s just so crazy to me.

Who are these people?

Its not surprising if you live in deep south. elections down there have always been mandates on race/outsiders.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #12030 on: December 12, 2017, 10:59:16 PM »
I was ready to say that the Republican Party was in trouble in 2018 if Moore won by like 5 percent.

Well well well.
rub

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story

kingv

« Reply #12033 on: December 12, 2017, 11:12:26 PM »
If I were president, I would swear on the Constitution.

Fox News wouldn’t know what to say.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12034 on: December 12, 2017, 11:13:55 PM »
I'm really glad that the gay-hating pedophile rapist lost by a fraction of a percent.  What a good day for America.   

edit:  forgot he's also a rapist. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12035 on: December 12, 2017, 11:14:33 PM »

Bible trumps the constitution. 

Freyj

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #12037 on: December 12, 2017, 11:23:57 PM »
you do you Alabama, but JFC fuck white people.   :picard

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #12038 on: December 12, 2017, 11:28:14 PM »
Trump managed to endorse two losing candidates in one election, not bad.

Freyj

« Reply #12039 on: December 12, 2017, 11:31:32 PM »
Holy shit he’s calling for a recount

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #12040 on: December 12, 2017, 11:45:42 PM »
I'm really glad that the gay-hating pedophile rapist lost by a fraction of a percent.  What a good day for America.   

edit:  forgot he's also a rapist.

It’s alabama. 
püp

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #12041 on: December 12, 2017, 11:53:36 PM »

John Brennan swore in as CIA Director on one of the original copies of the Constitution a few years ago, some conservatives were upset, but most of the mockery I saw was the whole thing about the CIA Director swearing in on the Constitution considering... I think a few members of Congress have done this in the past. Amash chickened out from doing it after hinting he was going to.

Presidents used to kiss the bible after the swearing in, because that was what Washington had done, but Eisenhower didn't and no one since has. (Although Obama kissing a Bible would have been great, especially when he burst into flames immediately.)

Teddy Roosevelt and LBJ did not use a Bible, but part of that may have been related to their swearing ins coming as the President had just died. I think LBJ swore in on a semi-random Catholic book that just happened to be found on Air Force One and was the closest thing they had to a Bible. Coolidge's dad brought their family Bible which avoided it in his case. J. Q. Adams and Franklin Pierce both swore in on a book of constitutional law (actually, Pierce didn't even swear, simply affirmed he agreed), their one-term statuses probably sent that to the ashbin. (Speaking of which, Hoover said "I do" instead of "I will, so help me God." Another one-termer. Coincidence?!?)

Every President since Truman, except for Reagan and Clinton (and LBJ for obvious reasons), has sworn in the first time on two Bibles for what I assume is the same reason they sign legislation with a hundred pens because it seems one gets stored in the Senate showcase. (And the other is often a family Bible or otherwise famous one.)

Similar to the above Muslin claim:
when Keith Ellison (D-Minn.), a Muslim, was elected to Congress in 2006, he took the oath of office on a Quran.

The American Family Association went so far as to advocate for federal legislation requiring members of Congress to swear on Bibles, and then-U.S. Rep. Virgil Goode (R-Va.) asserted that Ellison’s act would empower Islamic terrorists.
Dennis Prager is having none of it:
Forgive me, but America should not give a hoot what Keith Ellison’s favorite book is. Insofar as a member of Congress taking an oath to serve America and uphold its values is concerned, America is interested in only one book, the Bible. If you are incapable of taking an oath on that book, don’t serve in Congress. In your personal life, we will fight for your right to prefer any other book. We will even fight for your right to publish cartoons mocking our Bible. But, Mr. Ellison, America, not you, decides on what book its public servants take their oath.
I guess at least that's a form of a bible, much like when Jewish members use their Bible which I believe has always been the case for them? I assume someone like say Joe Lieberman would have, it seems Linda Lingle used a Tanakh during her swearing in as Governor of Hawai'i, etc.

Funny enough, in the Ellison case is that the House doesn't even do individual swearing-ins, it's the entire body done at once and not on anything unless the member brought it in themselves and put it on their desk. Any individual member photos are just photo-ops taken at some point after.

benjipwns

« Reply #12042 on: December 13, 2017, 12:14:21 AM »

Actually, what I should responded to this with is that we're more likely to be swearing in as a witness in court than President, so we can do it then.

Get your free pocket constitution for that moment: https://lp.hillsdale.edu/free-pocket-constitution/

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #12043 on: December 13, 2017, 12:23:14 AM »
Reading 4chan....

What the fuck is wrong with people
püp

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #12044 on: December 13, 2017, 12:30:20 AM »
On NPR this morning they were asking Alabamans that were going to vote for Roy Moore how they could justify it. And one guy said that he was an evangelical christian, and he believed in a literal translation of the bible and therefore he had to vote against abortion because it was against the bible. As someone who minored in religion and knows what's in the bible I do wonder where this literal translation of the bible = abortion bad comes from. I mean I can point out a few times where the bible would say a miscarriage or forcing a miscarriage is not the same as murder or ending a life. But I can't see somewhere that says "abortion pre quickening = murder."

It's almost as if these people don't actually know what their religious texts say... :thinking
que

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #12045 on: December 13, 2017, 12:32:58 AM »
Reading 4chan....

What the fuck is wrong with people

Bruh why would you do that tho
yar

« Reply #12046 on: December 13, 2017, 12:45:58 AM »
I never realized the death of neogaf as clear as today. Both neogaf and reset are almost the same ideological crowd :

Neogaf post count on election victory : 27
Resetera post count on election victory: 2371

Shut it the F down evilore . Shut it the f down

benjipwns

« Reply #12047 on: December 13, 2017, 12:54:01 AM »
On NPR this morning they were asking Alabamans that were going to vote for Roy Moore how they could justify it. And one guy said that he was an evangelical christian, and he believed in a literal translation of the bible and therefore he had to vote against abortion because it was against the bible. As someone who minored in religion and knows what's in the bible I do wonder where this literal translation of the bible = abortion bad comes from. I mean I can point out a few times where the bible would say a miscarriage or forcing a miscarriage is not the same as murder or ending a life. But I can't see somewhere that says "abortion pre quickening = murder."

It's almost as if these people don't actually know what their religious texts say... :thinking
Interesting that you lean towards that conclusion rather than concluding that you obviously haven't read the literal translation version :thinking

benjipwns

« Reply #12048 on: December 13, 2017, 12:57:35 AM »
Trump managed to endorse two losing candidates in one election, not bad.
The funny thing is that was like the story of this coming out of the primary, then it felt like as soon as Moore was being attacked, Trump jumped in and started campaigning for him. And dug in deeper as the Moore accusations built. :lol

benjipwns

« Reply #12050 on: December 13, 2017, 02:00:17 AM »
:mindblown the fuck did I do?
Like you don't know.

Verrit authorization code: 0443130

benjipwns

« Reply #12051 on: December 13, 2017, 02:16:38 AM »
real reason he lost:
https://splinternews.com/horse-twitter-comes-for-roy-moore-1821227717

Terry
12/12/17 3:25pm
Honestly aren’t there better things we can criticize him for?
SHUT UP TERRY

benjipwns

benjipwns

« Reply #12053 on: December 13, 2017, 02:24:56 AM »

rest of The Round Mound of Rebound in glorious HQ HD HD True4KVR:

benjipwns

« Reply #12055 on: December 13, 2017, 02:30:38 AM »
I know people say Steve Bannon is a cretinous racist, but you gotta admit, he also sucks at picking candidates for state elections
https://www.vox.com/2017/12/12/16770678/roy-moore-loses-steve-bannon

Group connected to McConnell:

Shrew

« Reply #12056 on: December 13, 2017, 02:31:55 AM »

Shrew

« Reply #12057 on: December 13, 2017, 02:35:04 AM »

curly

• cultural maoist

Shrew

« Reply #12059 on: December 13, 2017, 02:57:58 AM »
Oh shit. He has the full case file.

I'm wet