Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5509566 times)

etiolate

Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| Tired, inane and morally vacuous
« Reply #12120 on: December 13, 2017, 09:36:43 PM »
I think most were disgusted at the idea of supporting Moore for Senate just for the vote and party alliance. Some likely argued themselves into the greater political good of their own party rather than stay true to any sense of decency.  Moore losing saves them from having to be disgusting for party points.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #12123 on: December 13, 2017, 11:45:25 PM »
Instead of the Vindicated Senator Roy Moore, he's now known only as Punished Moore.  :usacry
©@©™

« Reply #12126 on: December 14, 2017, 02:11:02 AM »
When that dude starting singing I expected a Tim and Eric style reveal.

Tasty

« Reply #12127 on: December 14, 2017, 11:15:59 AM »
I used to pay for <insert prestigious Boston journalism outfit here>, but since I now work for them I get access to <insert prestigious Boston journalism outfit here> for free. So now I pay for WaPo instead. Good shit.

Tasty

« Reply #12128 on: December 14, 2017, 01:44:16 PM »
Did anyone post anything about Dan Johnson here?

Dude is a pastor and newly-elected state official who (allegedly) raped a 17-year old, denied it, then two days later (today) killed himself.

He's also one of the biggest liars I've ever heard of, claiming to literally raise the dead, heal the deaf, pull bodies out of the twin towers wreckage on 9/11, and set up "safe zones" during the LA riots. He also planned to torch his Cadillac, and DID torch his Church, for insurance money.

He and his church also gave us this little gem:

Full story on him here: http://longcon.kycir.org

I'm down the rabbit hole now and it's fascinating as fuck

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12129 on: December 14, 2017, 01:46:59 PM »
His church was also a front for alcohol-fueled sex parties:

Stepp grew troubled by another component of the church: the weekend parties at Pope’s House.

“The first night I went up there I was like, ‘Wow… never seen a church like this before,” Stepp said.

Bikers, booze and, occasionally, bare breasts. A part-time tattoo parlor with a costume party featuring zombie nuns in short skirts.

Law enforcement saw some of this, too. State and local Alcoholic Beverage Control officers cited Johnson and the church three times between 2008 and 2015 for unlicensed alcohol sales.
dog

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #12130 on: December 14, 2017, 01:53:48 PM »
Did anyone post anything about Dan Johnson here?

Dude is a pastor and newly-elected state official who (allegedly) raped a 17-year old, denied it, then two days later (today) killed himself.

He's also one of the biggest liars I've ever heard of, claiming to literally raise the dead, heal the deaf, pull bodies out of the twin towers wreckage on 9/11, and set up "safe zones" during the LA riots. He also planned to torch his Cadillac, and DID torch his Church, for insurance money.

He and his church also gave us this little gem:

Full story on him here: http://longcon.kycir.org

I'm down the rabbit hole now and it's fascinating as fuck
PROTECTIVE RAILROAD DAD1 year ago
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Sorry this just hit my funny bone. My kind of church. Who's the pastor, the punisher? Lol

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #12131 on: December 14, 2017, 03:01:34 PM »
Too soon, PROTECTIVE RAILROAD DAD. Too soon.
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #12132 on: December 14, 2017, 03:39:23 PM »

"Today, we no longer recognize the universal truth that God is the author of our life and liberty. Abortion, sodomy and materialism have taken the place of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.”

:salute
©@©™

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #12133 on: December 14, 2017, 03:43:42 PM »
abortion, sodomy, and materialism sound like a fun time tho
püp

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #12134 on: December 14, 2017, 03:49:55 PM »

"Today, we no longer recognize the universal truth that God is the author of our life and liberty. Abortion, sodomy and materialism have taken the place of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.”

:umad

Point and laugh at the pedo attempting to morally shame the people who didn't vote for him.  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
©ZH

Trurl

« Reply #12135 on: December 14, 2017, 03:52:36 PM »
Hey, we might support abortion and sodomy but I don't think it's fair to say that we're the side that believes in materialism.

Unless he's talking about monism.

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #12136 on: December 14, 2017, 03:55:46 PM »
ROY MOORE FOR PRESIDENT 2020
 :american :american :american :american :american

Gotta love that he replaces liberty with sodomy.

Trurl

« Reply #12137 on: December 14, 2017, 03:59:05 PM »
Moore being a pedo got all of the attention but it's his dream of a theocracy that gives me chills.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #12138 on: December 14, 2017, 04:00:35 PM »
Why can't he throw himself off a fuckin bridge too. Go away forever you Malcom Mcdowell with fetal alcohol syndrome lookin motherfucker

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12139 on: December 14, 2017, 04:41:22 PM »
Moore being a pedo got all of the attention but it's his dream of a theocracy that gives me chills.

Unfortunately, only one of those things will contribute to you losing an election in the South.
dog

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #12140 on: December 14, 2017, 04:52:09 PM »
Telecom companies and pedos in the same week. Holy shit the Republicans  :neogaf
vin

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #12141 on: December 14, 2017, 05:04:59 PM »
ROY MOORE FOR PRESIDENT 2020
 :american :american :american :american :american

Gotta love that he replaces liberty with sodomy.

What is liberty but the freedom to buttfuck?  :usacry

Amen.

Pwnz

« Reply #12142 on: December 14, 2017, 05:39:02 PM »

:salute

After Trump is removed from office, we need to somehow get the GOP to create a Moore/Fogle ticket for 2020.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #12143 on: December 14, 2017, 07:29:35 PM »
His lawyer is a Jew!
©@©™

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #12144 on: December 14, 2017, 08:42:04 PM »
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-omarosa-denies-white-house-fired-20171214-story.html

Who would've thought that having her in the white house could possibly backfire into drama? :neogaf
que

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #12145 on: December 14, 2017, 08:52:59 PM »
His lawyer is a Jew!

The moment those words left Moore’s wife’s mouth is when those last 1.5 points shifted away from him.
serge

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #12146 on: December 14, 2017, 08:58:52 PM »
Anonymous is saying they're going to start a "destructive hack" of the FCC.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're terrified of a DDoS attack.
que

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #12147 on: December 14, 2017, 09:08:17 PM »
Anonymous is saying they're going to start a "destructive hack" of the FCC.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're terrified of a DDoS attack.

:badass
yar

Himu

« Reply #12148 on: December 14, 2017, 10:31:38 PM »
Taking it here.

Explain what you mean then. Since I'm reeeeing apparently. TBH your argument is distinguished mentally-challenged and lacking self awareness.

And while I'm not to keen on monopolies and consolidation of media conglomerates, Disney is an entertainment company and buying other entertainment companies in its interest within boundaries of the law, is not really the same as the government repealing regulations in favor of corporate interests.

:lol

Both are related because both are about corporate power.

You literally went from:

"while I'm not to keen on monopolies and consolidation of media conglomerates"

to

"government repealing regulations in favor of corporate interests."

In the end, corporations win and control a little more. Same shit, different ball game. But yeah, go on about how excited you are about fruity super heroes as a "silver lining." And this is why I fucking hate nerds.

You're frustrating. My post made it clear that I am more concerned about corruption in the government than corporations trying to do what their basic purpose is (expand, grow, make the shareholders a lot of money).

Corruptions in the government?

Are you daft? That "corruption in the government" is done so that corporations can profit. Which falls squarely into "what their basic purpose is". Corporations buying the FCC out via lobbying so they upcharge users and kills net neutrality isn't that much different than buying every corporation imaginable and gaining unified power.

This is about corporate power. Equating Disney buying Fox to "this is what businesses are supposed to do" is batshit distinguished mentally-challenged and the fact you cannot connect these and think they're entirely separate issues is mind numbing.

No, you're just foaming at the mouth too much to comprehend what I'm saying. But go ahead, continue your reeeing.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #12149 on: December 14, 2017, 10:33:56 PM »
Nah, I'm good. Since you insist on behaving like a child, you don't deserve being talked to as an adult. Continue being hysterical, by all means.

Himu

« Reply #12150 on: December 14, 2017, 10:34:28 PM »
I feel weird. I follow politics almost obsessively, and I have no idea who this Omarosa person is/was.

Dumb chick who complained about how her friends deserted her after she went Trump. Somehow got into the White House.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #12151 on: December 14, 2017, 10:35:06 PM »
I feel weird. I follow politics almost obsessively, and I have no idea who this Omarosa person is/was.

Omarosa is a former contestant on The Apprentice and was a token black woman in the Trump administration, until recently.

Himu

« Reply #12152 on: December 14, 2017, 10:35:16 PM »
Nah, I'm good. Since you insist on behaving like a child, you don't deserve being talked to as an adult. Continue being hysterical, by all means.

:lol

Says the person who brings up reeeeee-ing.

Fuck you.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #12153 on: December 15, 2017, 01:50:44 AM »
Ugh what is this new bullshit?

Himu

« Reply #12154 on: December 15, 2017, 02:27:01 AM »
Just that some of us think the self professed nerds who are excited about Disney owning the majority of visual media because they'll get to see X-Men and Spider-Man in the same movie but are somehow mad about how the FCC ruling are gigantic disgusting consumer whore cum guzzling Cheetos sucking hypocrites as long they get their nerd taco movie fan service.

On the other hand, you've got Agrajag. Who argues the Disney crap is fine because it's just what companies do - grow and expand - but has a problem with the government doing the net neutrality ruling because of corruption or whatever without realizing that corporations are using it for the same agenda as the Disney-Fox buy out: extend their influence and usurp more power. He's fine with one particular kind of corporate power grabbing I guess as long as his nerd dick gets wet.

You could read that by reading the fucking quotes. It started from a talk about how some nerds at Reset are jizzing over the Fox buyout because they'll get more superhero nerd shit in theaters while at the same time freaking out about FCC and net neutrality.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #12155 on: December 15, 2017, 02:27:31 AM »
Fuck nerd "culture" and fuck capitalism.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 02:36:21 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #12156 on: December 15, 2017, 02:44:23 AM »
I think it's terrible but I'm gonna echo the sentiment that there's plenty of alternative media and entertainment to enjoy besides and it's never been more readily available than today. "Nerds" do plenty outrage about that stuff in their vocal communities but will continue to slavishly over indulge and fall for hype every single time.

Tangentially, 5 companies acting as a cartel are probably as nefarious as a monopoly, as evidenced by the golden age of the majors.
ὕβρις

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #12157 on: December 15, 2017, 02:46:52 AM »

Omarosa is a former contestant on The Apprentice and was a token black woman in the Trump administration, until recently.

Wait, she was actually on The Apprentice? Cheeto took a contestant from his shitty reality series and gave her a White House job?  :lol
And then forced her out and is surprised she might turn against him apparently. Can't make this up.
que

Himu

« Reply #12158 on: December 15, 2017, 02:57:06 AM »
I think it's terrible but I'm gonna echo the sentiment that there's plenty of alternative media and entertainment to enjoy besides and it's never been more readily available than today. "Nerds" do plenty outrage about that stuff in their vocal communities but will continue to slavishly over indulge and fall for hype every single time.

Tangentially, 5 companies acting as a cartel are probably as nefarious as a monopoly, as evidenced by the golden age of the majors.

I just don't understand how it's legal and the fact these feggits are happy about it because they get their superhero shit pisses me the fuck off
IYKYK

treythemovie

« Reply #12159 on: December 15, 2017, 03:09:42 AM »

Wait, she was actually on The Apprentice? Cheeto took a contestant from his shitty reality series and gave her a White House job?  :lol

Not just anyone. He took the nutbag that started fights with everyone from season 1. She was infamous in 2004.

If you told me 13 years ago that the shitty reality TV show would spawn a President and multiple high profile White House staffers... Well I would actually assume the country lost a war and we've gone Mad Max on everyone

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #12160 on: December 15, 2017, 04:00:35 AM »
:jeanluc that feeling when you realize someone doesn't read your posts

Trump fired Omarosa three times from the show, she never finished higher than sixth (and arguably only did so on the first Celeb because of some dumb luck), she never won a single task as Project Manger until her third appearance on Celebrity All-Stars by which point the show had completely descended into whose team could fundraise the most money from people they knew, she just fought with people which amused Trump and he borderline adopted her

They even created a dating show together: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ultimate_Merger

ALSO SHE KILLED MICHAEL CLARKE DUNCAN, LATOYA JACKSON CONFIRMED THIS AND OMAROSA FAILED TO SUE HER OVER IT

benjipwns

« Reply #12161 on: December 15, 2017, 04:28:12 AM »
I just don't understand how it's legal and the fact these feggits are happy about it because they get their superhero shit pisses me the fuck off
Why wouldn't it be legal? Disney is specifically not buying the Fox network or any Fox owned television stations. (Also, News Corp wants to keep them...and some of this probably has to be due to the NFL contract.) Only the film production arm and cable networks are going. None of this creates a monopoly or anti-trust situation of any kind under any form of American law that I can tell, they aren't even growing their already outsized power in the Hollywood film studio "market" which is a stupid thing for the government to regulate in the first place. The cable networks they're dumping technically only exist in carriage agreements. And especially in regards to superhero films, and doubly especially since Disney owns Marvel anyway so they're effectively buying back their own film rights. They aren't even buying Fox's studio properties apparently, only the back catalog. (No idea if they bought options on the employee contracts, I have to imagine they'd want first call on Fox Animation staff.)

Disney actually doesn't really even care about any of that, except the Fox back catalog, as much as they care about STAR, Sky, Endemol and Fox International. I'd argue that even the part they want in the U.S. is the part Fox will be holding onto for some time. They won't be able to gather up all the Fox Sports rights into ESPN for years to come and at a huge price anyhow because those deals usually preclude it. They'll be paying Fox to air their productions until those deals come up and they resign them for ESPN. Fox couldn't even dump the Big Ten Network on them because that deal is locked until 2032 and it now includes a broadcast deal regarding football. Five years ago Fox would have probably paid Disney to take that. (And this was the rumor about Fox Sports' massive expansion regionally and locally at the same time it was killing off Fox Sports nationally because it was a money sink. That it was trying to acquire rights to sell to ESPN.)

If anything News Corp bringing Fox into the fold, which is assumed to be coming, steps on far more regulatory toes due to the outdated laws about publishing and broadcast. (The current News Corp is officially a new company, the old News Corporation was renamed 21st Century Fox and is what Disney is buying large chunks of.)

edit: since I mentioned them below and they're being compared, the AT&T/Time Warner deal is somewhat different, as I mentioned Disney is not buying Fox's broadcast network nor any of its broadcast systems in the U.S., Disney is basically only purchasing content. AT&T wants the content and the broadcasting, which is them doubling up in the same regulated industry, but Time Warner doesn't own much overseas (Fox owned assets form the largest broadcaster outside the U.S. iirc) which is why the EU approved the deal but the Trump Administration is suing. Fox has spent months trying to convince foreign regulators to let it sell its foreign broadcasting to Disney. The U.K.'s regulators, for example, are seemingly indicating they're going to be okay with this deal if only because Rupert Murdoch is giving up Sky, which they've been slowing him taking over fully. (Presumably so he could include it in this. Though apparently he's working things a bit like Fox Sports, holding onto some of Sky Sports which is already in News Corp, not Fox.)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 04:56:29 AM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #12162 on: December 15, 2017, 04:40:24 AM »
I suspect Disney, like CBS, will launch their own new streaming service, even though they just picked up a majority share of Hulu.

They also can't just close Hulu because it's tied to a bunch of those Fox Sports deals plus a whole host of other weird deals that looked like they made sense five years ago.

I have to imagine that Hulu will continue to be some kind of weird dead man walking streaming service that continues to slowly lose content partners while changing announced direction every three months and exists in the US and Japan only. I'm still kinda surprised that Kabletown hasn't bailed out of it yet, they and AT&T must have a bunch of redundant users paying for the thing.

Himu

« Reply #12163 on: December 15, 2017, 09:33:50 AM »
Huh? I thought buying endless amount of nerd shit was cool these days.
IYKYK

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #12164 on: December 15, 2017, 11:13:50 AM »
i'm across the pond so forgive my ignorance, but have there been any protests over net neutrality? seems like it should be a pretty unified rallying call for anyone who gives a toss about the free exchange of information. it's going to effect young people a lot more than if some university professor doesn't watch his pronouns.

benjipwns

« Reply #12165 on: December 15, 2017, 11:29:01 AM »
i've seen a number of warning messages on websites that i've closed so i can read the site

i'm sure there's a change.org petition, and probably a hashtag too, what more do you want?

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #12166 on: December 15, 2017, 11:34:18 AM »
I think it's kind of intuitive that folks would be more upset over the FCC decision than the Disney/Fox acquisition.

Giving leeway to ISPs to choose how accessible certain sites/services/information will be to their customers is a prospect that's gonna freak out a lot of people, right? The Disney thing is more about vague corporate bigness.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
And it doesn't help that having horrible experiences dealing with the cable company is one of the last unifying aspects of American culture.
[close]

Nola

« Reply #12167 on: December 15, 2017, 11:47:09 AM »
i'm across the pond so forgive my ignorance, but have there been any protests over net neutrality? seems like it should be a pretty unified rallying call for anyone who gives a toss about the free exchange of information. it's going to effect young people a lot more than if some university professor doesn't watch his pronouns.

Mass protests, no. Completely anecdotal, but of all the shit that has gone down in the Trump era this is the first time I’ve seen this level of anger and annoyance from people that often don’t even give a shit about politics.

Net Neutrality has something like 85% approval rating, including like 65% of Republicans. Democrats should be making this a centerpiece issue if they have an ounce of sense.

Nola

« Reply #12168 on: December 15, 2017, 11:59:01 AM »
Other anecdote. It is also the only issue I have seen completely divide and fracture a good chunk of the core Trump base. Just looking at the places I glance at to get a sense of the Trumpkin bubble and my own social media. Seems to be that there really just is not a large constituency of people that really want their cable and internet companies to be able to extort them. Who knew  :idont

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #12169 on: December 15, 2017, 12:00:57 PM »
People that think anything could have been done about the net neutrality decision after Trump was elected  :neogaf

You had your chance in Nov. 2016
vin

Tasty

« Reply #12170 on: December 15, 2017, 12:04:06 PM »

Mass protests, no. Completely anecdotal, but of all the shit that has gone down in the Trump era this is the first time I’ve seen this level of anger and annoyance from people that often don’t even give a shit about politics.

Net Neutrality has something like 85% approval rating, including like 65% of Republicans. Democrats should be making this a centerpiece issue if they have an ounce of sense.

When Democrats start making it an issue for 2018, Fox will just paint it like Ajit Pai did. "Obummer era gubment overstepping its bounds and hurting small businesses and consumer choice." Then the support among Republicans will drop to <20%.

Mark my words.

benjipwns

« Reply #12171 on: December 15, 2017, 12:04:55 PM »
But do the Democrats even have a position on anything specific? I don't think Obama even indicated what he wanted the rules to actually look like just that they be called net neutrality.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #12172 on: December 15, 2017, 12:06:33 PM »
The biggest mistake was letting those opposed to net neutrality coin it as internet freedom, that’s what NN shoulda been called

Nola

« Reply #12173 on: December 15, 2017, 12:09:11 PM »
People that think anything could have been done about the net neutrality decision after Trump was elected  :neogaf

You had your chance in Nov. 2016

Good thing is I hear rumors going around that there will be elections in 2018 and 2020.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Though my cynicism is such I am skeptical of both the sort of people coming out of their cocoons to be upset at this still giving a shit to vote a year from now or Democrats from playing their part and making this the potentially powerful wedge issue they should to keep attention going.
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #12174 on: December 15, 2017, 12:13:11 PM »
Good thing is I hear rumors going around that there will be elections in 2018 and 2020.
People probably thought that the last time literal Nazi's seized power with the help of the Russians.

Nola

« Reply #12175 on: December 15, 2017, 12:19:47 PM »

When Democrats start making it an issue for 2018, Fox will just paint it like Ajit Pai did. "Obummer era gubment overstepping its bounds and hurting small businesses and consumer choice." Then the support among Republicans will drop to <20%.

Mark my words.

They’re trying right now and have since 2015 and it hasn’t really worked. No doubt they will keep trying if Democrats wise up over this issue and put more of a spotlight on it.

But at the end of the day cable companies and such are like the binding scorn of Americans. It seems like there is a limit, even amongst Trumpists, with how much they will eat the bullshit before spitting some back out. Hopefully.

Tasty

« Reply #12176 on: December 15, 2017, 12:22:09 PM »
The biggest mistake was letting those opposed to net neutrality coin it as internet freedom, that’s what NN shoulda been called

Net Neutrality isn't that bad a term from a marketing standpoint, really.

Tasty

« Reply #12177 on: December 15, 2017, 12:26:23 PM »

Mark my words.

They’re trying right now and have since 2015 and it hasn’t really worked. No doubt they will keep trying if Democrats wise up over this issue and put more of a spotlight on it.

But at the end of the day cable companies and such are like the binding scorn of Americans. It seems like there is a limit, even amongst Trumpists, with how much they will eat the bullshit before spitting some back out. Hopefully.

The problem is, that number that's being floated "65% or 75% of Republicans favor Net Neutrality when they're explained what it is" is key. Because that means they're informed on the issue.

Most Republicans are not informed on the issues, or if they are, get their information from Fox. Once this becomes an actual election issue and the misinformation campaign gets going, NN support among the GOP is going to drop like a stone. I just feel it in my bones. Republican voters choose what's worse for themselves every time, outside of possibly gun stuff.

altright

« Reply #12178 on: December 15, 2017, 12:27:46 PM »
Net Neutrality has been plastered all over the web by technology companies. I don't think people realize how big Disney and Fox are and which companies they own. Media companies aren't going to badmouth this deal because they would be bringing attention to themselves. This is what happens when news companies are mostly owned by a few corporations.

If the merger happens, Hulu is dead. The other media corps would not be okay with Disney owning the majority of the platform.

benjipwns

« Reply #12179 on: December 15, 2017, 01:00:34 PM »
you lieberals don't even know that you've already DEBUNKED YOUR OWN LIES ABOUT NET NEUTRALITY among Americans who pay attention to facts and think for themselves like Rush Limbaugh listeners:
https://twitter.com/SandraFluke/status/941140826876514306