Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5449654 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| Get Fired, Make Money
« Reply #23040 on: August 16, 2018, 02:27:49 PM »
It just shows how Trump operates like a mafia don. Having family members offer hush payments? I see Lara Trump has taken up Michael Cohen's job of fixer? Also, who the fuck is Lara Trump? First time I hear of her. I have so many questions.
Eric's "wife" or handler or whatever.

agrajag

« Reply #23041 on: August 16, 2018, 02:28:03 PM »
Seems like an insultingly low amount to pay off someone. But then again, Trump has been stingy with the hush money, see Stormy Daniels.

It just shows how Trump operates like a mafia don. Having family members offer hush payments? I see Lara Trump has taken up Michael Cohen's job of fixer? Also, who the fuck is Lara Trump? First time I hear of her. I have so many questions.
Eric's "wife" or handler or whatever.

Beard?

kingv

« Reply #23042 on: August 16, 2018, 02:36:40 PM »
I don’t know, seems like a lot of congressmen will damn near sell you their soul and suck your dick bone dry for like $20K.

$180K seems pretty good actually for a fake job where you do no work. But Omarosa know that she’s probably going to have A NYT best seller.

benjipwns

« Reply #23043 on: August 16, 2018, 02:39:29 PM »
Congressmen do have those weird party quotas they have to meet though: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-are-members-of-congress-becoming-telemarketers/
Rep. David Jolly: We sat behind closed doors at one of the party headquarter back rooms in front of a white board where the equation was drawn out. You have six months until the election. Break that down to having to raise $2 million in the next six months. And your job, new member of Congress, is to raise $18,000 a day. Your first responsibility is to make sure you hit $18,000 a day.

Norah O'Donnell: Your first responsibility--

Rep. David Jolly: My first responsibility--

Norah O'Donnell: --as a congressman?

Rep. David Jolly: --as a sitting member of Congress.

Norah O'Donnell: How were you supposed to raise $18,000 a day?

Rep. David Jolly: Simply by calling people, cold-calling a list that fundraisers put in front of you, you're presented with their biography. So please call John. He's married to Sally. His daughter, Emma, just graduated from high school. They gave $18,000 last year to different candidates. They can give you $1,000 too if you ask them to. And they put you on the phone. And it's a script.
Rep. David Jolly: The House schedule is actually arranged, in some ways, around fundraising.

Norah O'Donnell: You're telling me the whole schedule of how work gets done is scheduled around fundraising?

Rep. David Jolly: That's right. You never see a committee working through lunch because those are your fundraising times. And then in between afternoon votes and evening votes, that's when you can see Democrats walking down this street, Republicans walking down that street to spend time on the phone making phone calls.

By law, members of Congress cannot make fundraising calls from their offices. So both parties have set up "call centers" just a few blocks away. This is where the Republicans have theirs.

Norah O'Donnell: So can I go in there?

Rep. David Jolly: I don't think they would let either one of us in here, at this point. Remember I stopped paying my dues.

What Jolly means is that in addition to raising money for their own campaigns, members are supposed to raise thousands of dollars for their parties. That's their dues. If Republican members don't pay up, they can't use the party's call suites. No photos exist of the inside of either the Democratic or Republican centers.

agrajag

« Reply #23044 on: August 16, 2018, 02:44:22 PM »
 :nope

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #23045 on: August 16, 2018, 02:47:55 PM »
I feel like Omarosa is just mad at the world for mispronouncing her name

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #23046 on: August 16, 2018, 03:04:36 PM »
You: "Surely the GOP will see all this corruption and finally take a stand against Donald Trump and tell him: 'No more Donald. We are the party of values and conservatism and you have got to behave yourself mister!' "

GOP:
https://twitter.com/GOP/status/1030141769307054081

🤴

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #23047 on: August 16, 2018, 03:27:15 PM »
It's all fun and games until Omarosa releases her next tape exclusively on CNN TOMORROW NIGHT AT 9PM in which she reveals she had reservations about Trump from the very beginning. The tape, dated September 2007, includes the following excerpt: "Donald Trump is not qualified to be president and is a terrible man, but I fear I must help him in order to provide for myself in this capitalist society. One day, perhaps in 2016, he will run for president, and the country will suffer."

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
©ZH

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #23049 on: August 16, 2018, 03:46:52 PM »
Better call Cohen Sekulow Cobb Rudy
ὕβρις

agrajag

« Reply #23050 on: August 16, 2018, 03:51:48 PM »
Better call Cohen Sekulow Cobb Rudy

You forgot Doud and Kasowitz

:ufup

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #23051 on: August 16, 2018, 06:23:04 PM »
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1030205869638787072

So uh, what are the odds that Manafort walks  :doge
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Because the jury is too fucking stupid to understand anything that has been going on during the trial
[close]

The jury has proposed these 4 questions:
Q: Is one required to file an FBAR if they own less than 50% of the company and no signatory authority?
Q: Define "shelf company"?
Q: Can you redefine reasonable doubt?
Q: Can the exhibit list be amended to include the indictment?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 06:30:55 PM by Nintex »
🤴

agrajag

« Reply #23052 on: August 16, 2018, 06:29:48 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #23053 on: August 16, 2018, 06:45:56 PM »
I'm probably mistaken as usual, but from those questions it looks like what the Judge was complaining to the prosecutors about last week or whenever, that they were making their case too complex by trying to include all kinds of irrelevant information that they weren't charging based on. I wonder if that's why the defense rested so quickly, maybe they were betting the prosecutors had screwed themselves.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #23054 on: August 16, 2018, 06:47:04 PM »
ya they probably had lots of exculpatory evidence but decided not to use it

benjipwns

« Reply #23055 on: August 16, 2018, 07:03:47 PM »
That's not what I was implying at all. Any defense of Manafort would have to start to begin to explain his crimes and other near crimes among all the other things the prosecution brought up. If the prosecution has derailed their own case on the charges he's facing, the defense's best move is not to re-litigate those at a further length. Especially when Gates was in many ways an effective witness for themselves. Manafort's lawyers know he's guilty so their goal would never be to make him appear innocent but instead to muddle and introduce confusion into the case. They just happened to get prosecutors who were willing to do most of that legwork themselves by chasing all the arcane pathways they aren't charging him for.

You know, that whole if the law is against you, if the facts are against you, argue until confusion and all that.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #23056 on: August 16, 2018, 07:23:24 PM »
simplest explanation is they were never going to call any witnesses

benjipwns

« Reply #23057 on: August 16, 2018, 07:24:24 PM »
Simplest explanation is that they couldn't find out who QAnon was in time for him to testify.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #23058 on: August 16, 2018, 07:40:34 PM »
Manafort might also be holding out for a presidential pardon. If he kept his mouth shut Trump might see that as 'loyalty' and so far there has been nothing in this case that links Manafort to any of the alleged wrongdoings of the Trump campaign.

In any case they should've just presented his fraud and have Rick Gates say 'y/n'.
But instead we had the double whammy of Gates fucking over Manafort by using his money to fund his affairs abroad and the prosecutors trying to connect all sorts of dots.

I bet the jury didn't really understand all the details in the case (even the judge had trouble figuring out the relevant bits).

It could also be that the jury has been compromised by the Russians. 
:putin
[close]
🤴

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #23059 on: August 16, 2018, 07:52:36 PM »
Simplest explanation is that they couldn't find out who QAnon was in time for him to testify.

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1029429728506261505
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #23060 on: August 16, 2018, 07:52:52 PM »
(even the judge had trouble figuring out the relevant bits).
From the "leak" it sounded more like he was trying to strongly suggest to the prosecution that they were complicating their own case and should focus on the slam dunk parts.

Now the jury seems to want basic details explained.

benjipwns

« Reply #23061 on: August 16, 2018, 07:54:47 PM »
https://politics.theonion.com/omarosa-searches-through-tapes-of-everyone-else-in-whit-1828344800
WASHINGTON—Insisting that it had to be in the audio recordings made during her time in the administration, Omarosa Manigault-Newman was frantically searching Tuesday through tapes of everyone else in the White House using the N-word for one of President Trump uttering the racial slur. “C’mon, c’mon, I know Trump’s in here somewhere,” said Manigault-Newman as she fast-forwarded through a recording of Stephen Miller and Jeff Sessions casually using the racial slur during a conversation in the West Wing. “I’ve got hours of John Kelly dropping N-bombs and a several where Trump is in the room when Bannon yells it, but I haven’t found any of the president yet. One tape seemed promising, but there’s a lot of crosstalk where everybody in the room was saying the N-word over each other, so you can’t make out Trump clearly. Ugh, this is going to take forever.” At press time, Manigault-Newman was forced to keep looking after all that turned up so far were two dozen recordings of Trump saying “wetback” and “dune coon.”
:dead

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #23062 on: August 16, 2018, 08:14:17 PM »
🤴

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #23064 on: August 17, 2018, 04:33:15 AM »
Hope they stick the ice in the cooler otherwise it melts.  :(

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #23065 on: August 17, 2018, 07:00:54 AM »
Omarosa claims to have made 200 tapes.  :lol

:doge
🤴

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #23066 on: August 17, 2018, 07:59:59 AM »
Betamax or vhs?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #23068 on: August 17, 2018, 08:56:34 AM »
https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-and-omarosa-had-a-fcking-weird-fight-with-vietnam-vets

:goty

Source present at the time tell The Daily Beast that multiple people—including Vietnam War veterans—chimed in to inform the president that the Apocalypse Now set piece he was talking about showcased the U.S. military using napalm, not Agent Orange.

Trump refused to accept that he was mistaken and proceeded to say things like, “no, I think it’s that stuff from that movie.”

One clue belying the president’s insistence is that the famous Robert Duvall line from the scene in Apocalypse Now, “I love the smell of napalm in the morning,” is not “I love the smell of Agent Orange in the morning.”
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #23069 on: August 17, 2018, 09:02:31 AM »

:rejoice

According to two people in attendance, Trump then flippantly replied to the Vietnam vet, “Well, I think you just didn’t like the movie,” before finally moving on.
:trumps

Apocalypse Now is a great movie.  :lawd
🤴

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #23070 on: August 17, 2018, 09:13:08 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

:jeanluc
[close]

Fun fact: I have had to clean malware off the legal counsel's personal computer for the company I work at multiple times. All he says he does is browse fauxnewz. I tell him it come from shady ads on the site. He doesn't believe me. I told him he can take it to Best Buy from now on. :trumps
[close]
©ZH

agrajag

« Reply #23071 on: August 17, 2018, 10:34:40 AM »
No Mr. President, Agent Orange is you, you are Agent Orange.

Boredfrom

« Reply #23072 on: August 17, 2018, 12:16:06 PM »
Orange Lantern Oath

What's mine is mine and mine and mine.

And mine and mine and mine!

Not yours!"

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #23073 on: August 17, 2018, 01:14:29 PM »
Mattis, who spoke before the announcement that the parade would not happen in 2018, added: “I’m not dignifying that number ($92 million) with a reply. I would discount that, and anybody who said (that number), I’ll almost guarantee you one thing: They probably said, ‘I need to stay anonymous.’ No kidding, because you look like an idiot. And No. 2, whoever wrote it needs to get better sources. I’ll just leave it at that.”

12 hours later: “We cancelled the $92 Million parade.”
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #23074 on: August 17, 2018, 01:29:39 PM »
https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/1030471634145107969

#FREEMANAFORT :dice

I'm seeing op-eds everywhere that the judge was 'biased' because he intervened. Those numbskulls don't grasp what Manafort's defense figured out when they walked into that court room and took a look at the jury
https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1030204085235011585
🤴

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #23075 on: August 17, 2018, 02:05:14 PM »
It’s pretty clear he’ll be pardoned
püp

studyguy

« Reply #23076 on: August 17, 2018, 02:10:58 PM »

https://twitter.com/JackSmithIV/status/1030513752523853824
Why would you be part of a group that
A) Doesn't allow members to masturbate
B) Is led by a guy who stuck a dildo up his ass to prove his manliness live on stream.
 :cac
pause

agrajag

« Reply #23077 on: August 17, 2018, 02:14:49 PM »
Kink shaming  :gurl

studyguy

« Reply #23078 on: August 17, 2018, 02:15:42 PM »
Kink shaming  :gurl
The irony is the same group calls other people doing that gay so
 :idont

It's not gay and totally manly so long as you say nohomo first bros  :doge
pause

agrajag

« Reply #23079 on: August 17, 2018, 02:29:18 PM »
I'm willing to bet he lost a bunch of alt-right bros over that one. I think the proud boys are considered kind of a joke even in the larger alt-right circles

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #23080 on: August 17, 2018, 02:32:33 PM »
Should have tried being Good Boys instead. It's worked for Atra.
©@©™

agrajag

« Reply #23081 on: August 17, 2018, 02:40:27 PM »
Whenever I hear about Proud Boys it makes me think of the orc factions in WH40K

Brehvolution

« Reply #23082 on: August 17, 2018, 02:44:25 PM »
https://www.mediaite.com/tv/watch-fox-news-panel-breathlessly-fawns-over-trump-shaking-hands-of-supporters-in-90-degree-sun/

“He’s a machine,” Bossie said of Trump. “This guy never stops working, he’s the hardest working person I’ve ever been around in my entire life.”

:cac
©ZH

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #23083 on: August 17, 2018, 02:50:55 PM »
Mattis, who spoke before the announcement that the parade would not happen in 2018, added: “I’m not dignifying that number ($92 million) with a reply. I would discount that, and anybody who said (that number), I’ll almost guarantee you one thing: They probably said, ‘I need to stay anonymous.’ No kidding, because you look like an idiot. And No. 2, whoever wrote it needs to get better sources. I’ll just leave it at that.”

12 hours later: “We cancelled the $92 Million parade.”

The French Bastille Day parade is quoted everywhere at a cost of 4m euros. I don't know if this cover all expenses (apparently it's what Defence pay, there's maybe some added costs for the city) but it's hard to grasp why it would be so costly (even if the 92m estimation is way over inflated).
ὕβρις

agrajag

« Reply #23084 on: August 17, 2018, 02:52:38 PM »
Hard work = watching cable news, tweeting hard and eating taco bowls.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #23085 on: August 17, 2018, 03:07:11 PM »
Whenever I hear about Proud Boys it makes me think of the orc factions in WH40K

OI, LOOK AT DIS HUMIE GIT SAYIN' DERE'S FINGS DAT ARE BOYZ BUT HUMIES. NO DEY AIN'T, YA BLEEDIN' SQUIG.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #23086 on: August 17, 2018, 03:28:38 PM »
Cuomo dun fucked up, Trump does not allow the news cycle to move past this.

🤴

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #23087 on: August 17, 2018, 03:30:55 PM »
Yeah, this is terrible for Cuomo, having a public spat with Trump right before his... Democratic primary against a challenger from the left.

agrajag

« Reply #23088 on: August 17, 2018, 03:34:56 PM »
Yeah, this is terrible for Cuomo, having a public spat with Trump right before his... Democratic primary against a challenger from the left.

:noooo

:teehee

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #23089 on: August 17, 2018, 03:35:14 PM »
https://twitter.com/ChadPergram/status/1030531952657551360

Welp, looks like no end to the Manafort case today.

The judge mentioned he was also threatened and has to travel with US marshals so he won't release the names of the jurors to the media to protect them.
🤴

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #23090 on: August 17, 2018, 03:49:28 PM »
https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-and-omarosa-had-a-fcking-weird-fight-with-vietnam-vets

During this White House meeting, certain details of which have not been previously reported, the president managed to again annoy and confuse U.S. war veterans, this time by getting into a bizarre, protracted argument with Vietnam War vets present about the movie Apocalypse Now and the herbicide Agent Orange.

“It was really fucking weird,” one attendee bluntly assessed to The Daily Beast.

The meeting included President Trump and the envoys of nearly a dozen major vets groups—including the American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, American Veterans, Veterans of Foreign Wars, and the right-leaning Concerned Veterans for America—as well as  senior staffers such as Stephen Miller, Kellyanne Conway, Sean Spicer, and Manigault-Newman surrounding the large table.

During the course of the meeting, Weidman brought up the issue of Agent Orange, an extremely notorious component of the U.S. herbicidal warfare on Vietnam. Weidman was imploring the president and his team to permit access to benefits for a broader number of vets who have said they were poisoned by Agent Orange.

Trump responded by saying, “That’s taken care of,” according to people in the room.

His reply puzzled the group.

Attendees began explaining to the president that the VA had not made enough progress on the issue at all, to which Trump responded by abruptly derailing the meeting and asking the attendees if Agent Orange was “that stuff from that movie.”

He did not initially name the film he was referencing, but it quickly became clear as Trump kept rambling that he was referring to the classic 1979 Francis Ford Coppola epic Apocalypse Now, and specifically the famous helicopter attack scene set to the “Ride of the Valkyries.”

Source present at the time tell The Daily Beast that multiple people—including Vietnam War veterans—chimed in to inform the president that the Apocalypse Now set piece he was talking about showcased the U.S. military using napalm, not Agent Orange.

Trump refused to accept that he was mistaken and proceeded to say things like, “no, I think it’s that stuff from that movie.”

One clue belying the president’s insistence is that the famous Robert Duvall line from the scene in Apocalypse Now, “I love the smell of napalm in the morning,” is not “I love the smell of Agent Orange in the morning.”

He then went around the room polling attendees about if it was, in fact, napalm or Agent Orange in the famous scene from “that movie,” as the gathering—organized to focus on important, sometimes life-or-death issues for veterans—descended into a pointless debate over Apocalypse Now that the president simply would not concede, despite all the available evidence.

Finally, Trump made eye contact again with Weidman and asked him if it was napalm or Agent Orange. The VVA co-founder assured Trump, as did several before him, that it was in fact napalm, and said that he didn’t like the Coppola film and believed it to be a disservice to Vietnam War veterans.

According to two people in attendance, Trump then flippantly replied to the Vietnam vet, “Well, I think you just didn’t like the movie,” before finally moving on.

studyguy

« Reply #23091 on: August 17, 2018, 03:50:22 PM »
https://twitter.com/CoreyStewartVA/status/1030534209998385155

2018 congress is all about being just racist enough while still maintaining the ability to meme.
pause

studyguy

« Reply #23092 on: August 17, 2018, 03:52:03 PM »

During this White House meeting, certain details of which have not been previously reported, the president managed to again annoy and confuse U.S. war veterans, this time by getting into a bizarre, protracted argument with Vietnam War vets present about the movie Apocalypse Now and the herbicide Agent Orange.

“It was really fucking weird,” one attendee bluntly assessed to The Daily Beast.

The meeting included President Trump and the envoys of nearly a dozen major vets groups—including the American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, American Veterans, Veterans of Foreign Wars, and the right-leaning Concerned Veterans for America—as well as  senior staffers such as Stephen Miller, Kellyanne Conway, Sean Spicer, and Manigault-Newman surrounding the large table.

During the course of the meeting, Weidman brought up the issue of Agent Orange, an extremely notorious component of the U.S. herbicidal warfare on Vietnam. Weidman was imploring the president and his team to permit access to benefits for a broader number of vets who have said they were poisoned by Agent Orange.

Trump responded by saying, “That’s taken care of,” according to people in the room.

His reply puzzled the group.

Attendees began explaining to the president that the VA had not made enough progress on the issue at all, to which Trump responded by abruptly derailing the meeting and asking the attendees if Agent Orange was “that stuff from that movie.”

He did not initially name the film he was referencing, but it quickly became clear as Trump kept rambling that he was referring to the classic 1979 Francis Ford Coppola epic Apocalypse Now, and specifically the famous helicopter attack scene set to the “Ride of the Valkyries.”

He then went around the room polling attendees about if it was, in fact, napalm or Agent Orange in the famous scene from “that movie,” as the gathering—organized to focus on important, sometimes life-or-death issues for veterans—descended into a pointless debate over Apocalypse Now that the president simply would not concede, despite all the available evidence.

Finally, Trump made eye contact again with Weidman and asked him if it was napalm or Agent Orange. The VVA co-founder assured Trump, as did several before him, that it was in fact napalm, and said that he didn’t like the Coppola film and believed it to be a disservice to Vietnam War veterans.

Read that shit back earlier it's so specific and stupid that it has to be true... personally I use Wolfenstein as the basis for my WWII history knowledge. I know we lost to the german werewolf nazis, but I mean did you see how many we murdered in the future?
pause

agrajag

« Reply #23093 on: August 17, 2018, 03:54:24 PM »
I have to side with Trump on this one, it was a good movie.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #23094 on: August 17, 2018, 03:56:23 PM »
https://twitter.com/CoreyStewartVA/status/1030534209998385155

2018 congress is all about being just racist enough while still maintaining the ability to meme.
It's going to be interesting to see if this GOP strategy of double down on Trump support is going to work. Especially in states that Trump lost.  :doge
🤴

Boredfrom

« Reply #23095 on: August 17, 2018, 03:56:33 PM »

I doubt he got the anti war and anti colonialism message, though.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #23096 on: August 17, 2018, 03:57:29 PM »

Trump's review of Citizen Kane is quite something.
🤴

agrajag

« Reply #23097 on: August 17, 2018, 03:57:51 PM »

Neither did those generals  :yeshrug

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #23098 on: August 17, 2018, 04:06:17 PM »

Virginia politics are a good microcosm of the US right now: the rural counties are now solidly R while the wealthy inner suburbs go D, the GOP has a majority in the House despite losing the total vote by 10 percentage points, a DSA member and a transwoman were elected but the Dems at the top of the ticket are moderates, and the country club wing of the GOP is losing control of the more blatantly racist and dumbass faction.

Boredfrom

« Reply #23099 on: August 17, 2018, 04:09:18 PM »

Neither did those generals  :yeshrug

Well, I dont expect them to get it (or want to get it). Just saying Trump probably thinks that scene was cool patriots doing cool stuff.