Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5447752 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| No Vote November
« Reply #27180 on: November 07, 2018, 03:13:30 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/06/media/fox-news-sean-hannity-jeanine-pirro-trump-rally/index.html
Fox News journalists were outraged and disgusted after Sean Hannity, the network's star host, campaigned with President Donald Trump on Monday night ahead of the midterm elections, more than half a dozen employees told CNN Business.

"People throughout the company think a new line was crossed," one senior Fox News employee told CNN Business on Tuesday.

"It disturbs me to my core," said another senior Fox News employee, who added, "I am so f---ing mad."

"We were all told that Hannity was going to interview the president, but no one that I spoke with expected what happened last night," added a third senior Fox News employee. "I'm aghast as are a number of other people."
But a Fox News spokesperson told CNN Business and other news outlets soon after that Hannity would simply be at the rally in Missouri to broadcast his show and cover the event for the network. Hannity offered an identical message in a Monday morning tweet, saying, "To be clear, I will not be on stage campaigning with the president."

Yet just hours later, Hannity and Pirro were both on stage with Trump, energizing the Republican base ahead of Election Day.

After having expressly denied that he would be campaigning on stage with the President, the first move from Hannity when he walked on stage was to slam members of the media stationed at the back of the auditorium as "fake news," apparently not realizing -- or caring -- that Fox News journalists were among the "people in the back" that he had insulted.

One Fox News employee described to CNN Business the scene at the New York headquarters of Fox News at the time, as a number of journalists inside the company's news division watched the episode unfold live. The person said that the employees were dismayed at what they saw.

Other Fox News employees questioned why network executives have not taken any action.

"The whole thing is just so embarrassing that this guy basically has free rein to do whatever he wants, and management is either helpless or uninterested in doing anything about it," said one Fox News employee.

Another employee said that Hannity's behavior, both Monday night and generally, "continues to make the task of the news side all that much harder."

One former senior Fox News employee told CNN Business that he had spoken to a number of former colleagues who are still at the network about the matter. He described them as "livid."

In a Tuesday afternoon statement, a Fox News spokesperson said, "Fox News does not condone any talent participating in campaign events. We have an extraordinary team of journalists helming our coverage tonight and we are extremely proud of their work. This was an unfortunate distraction and has been addressed."

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #27182 on: November 07, 2018, 03:14:00 PM »
Perhaps I should have elaborated on how I am unsure that Trump knows the role of the Attorney General? There's all sorts of stories/scuttlebutt about Trump being upset that Jeff wasn't out being Trump's cheerleader on every administration policy, especially legally.

Rod Rosenstein's descent into confused madness I think makes clear that Trump did properly identify the Justice Department's Mueller thorn in his side. Probably all the more reason he wanted rid of Jeff, if he wasn't going to even do anything about that.

Trump probably can't figure out how to page his Secretary.
YMMV

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #27183 on: November 07, 2018, 03:14:37 PM »
Trump asked Jeff to step down

So in between grililng the press he had this lined up.
It is customary (thus...I shouldn't mention it with Trump) for Presidents to request resignation letters long ahead of time from the Cabinet, to use when they "fire" the person. In this case "requested earlier today" means asking for the one already prepared.

W. Bush received multiple ones prepared by Rumsfeld that he all rejected.

Sessions was at the top of the list of the people Trump was looking towards getting rid of after the midterms no matter how they went.

So in this case, Jeff probably logged into his DOJ email account this morning and it said "Your sessions has expired, bitch!" and then a car with Paul Ryan and Jeff Flake came around to pick him up.
©@©™

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #27184 on: November 07, 2018, 03:17:09 PM »
Anyway, with Sessions gone, I think our nation could complete a lot of the healing necessary from the past... 50ish years of shenanigans if the House and the Senate shook hands and legalized marijuana for all. Both sides want it.
serge

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #27185 on: November 07, 2018, 03:18:40 PM »
Looking forward to a week of spin about how the Sessions firing is completely unrelated to Mueller before Trump just blurts out the truth in front of a camera.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27186 on: November 07, 2018, 03:20:04 PM »
The list if I remember correctly:

Trump wants them gone / they want to leave ("reasons")
- Nikki Haley ("GOP succesfully protected the queen")
- Sarah Sanders ("up for promotion")
- Jeff Sessions ("traitor")
- John Kelly ("is miserable)
- James Mattis ("probably a democrat tbh")
- Wilbur Ross ("too old, no longer a killer")

Names that also came up in recent months:
- Kelyanne Conway ("hubby")
- Ben Carson ("Table gate")
- Rick Perry ("Trump still thinks he's stupid")
- John Bolton ("Trump's more fond of Mike Pompeo")

Names that might enter the administration of mount doom
- Lindsey Graham (expected to follow up Sessions)
- Some current or former fox news broad (to replace Sarah)
- Scaramucci (wants back in after Kelly is out - Trump is open to the idea)
- Lewandowski (wants back in still on team Trump)
- Hope Hicks (recently took a job but boarded AF1 a couple of times to discuss new job opportunities post-Kelly)
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #27187 on: November 07, 2018, 03:20:20 PM »
In #MeToo era, at least 4 Democrats elected despite misconduct allegations
At least four Democrats facing sexual misconduct controversies in the #MeToo era were voted into office on Tuesday, a result that would appear to clash with the party’s claims to stand behind women and have zero tolerance toward such allegations.

House Reps. Keith Ellison, Tony Cárdenas and Bobby Scott, and Sen. Bob Menendez, all came out victorious on Tuesday, despite being accused of misconduct.

Their election raises questions whether the Democratic Party, which went all-out to stop now-Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh in the face of assault claims and stressed the importance of believing women’s allegations, is selectively tapping into the #MeToo movement.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #27188 on: November 07, 2018, 03:20:34 PM »
SUCK IT KRIS KOBACH

More like suck it Mandark when Kobach's Attorney General.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #27189 on: November 07, 2018, 03:20:41 PM »
called it

unrelated, super curious to see the session sex tape, also.

benjipwns

« Reply #27190 on: November 07, 2018, 03:22:24 PM »
Looking forward to a week of spin about how the Sessions firing is completely unrelated to Mueller before Trump just blurts out the truth in front of a camera.
I want to point out that I wasn't saying it was completely unrelated, but that from what I gathered from conservative media/"insider reports" over the last year, Trump had developed a long shit list about Sessions beyond Mueller. I interpreted it as he moved on from thinking Sessions could/would do anything and came to realize all the other reasons Jeff Sessions was a terrible person to make Attorney General. Or anything.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #27191 on: November 07, 2018, 03:25:23 PM »
I want to point out that I wasn't saying it was completely unrelated

You're such a card.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #27192 on: November 07, 2018, 03:26:26 PM »

You're such a card.

Cad, Mandark. Cad.
serge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #27193 on: November 07, 2018, 03:30:31 PM »
Assi gets banned and AiA comes back almost immediately after

:thinking

Completely different wrting styles and I don't think Assi is capable of pulling that off.

Seeing the same admin who banned Assi "bless up" blatant bigotry is pretty awesome though;  forum is also kind of dead now.  Good work Rumbler.

AIA is a Republican, but he balances out his hatred of gays and transpersons by hating straights and cispersons too. Plus, he played for the Raidahs and we support Raider Nation in this house.
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #27194 on: November 07, 2018, 03:31:47 PM »
Will the House elect Beto as Speaker?

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #27195 on: November 07, 2018, 03:33:13 PM »
I find it sad that there are people working at Fox who think there is "a line" of journalistic integrity they are maintaining.

I guess to work there on a day-to-day basis you have to be somewhat delusional in order to keep any self-respect.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #27197 on: November 07, 2018, 03:38:25 PM »

You're such a card.

Cad, Mandark. Cad.

What?

benjipwns

« Reply #27198 on: November 07, 2018, 03:45:23 PM »
I find it sad that there are people working at Fox who think there is "a line" of journalistic integrity they are maintaining.

I guess to work there on a day-to-day basis you have to be somewhat delusional in order to keep any self-respect.
Hannity was just complaining about the lack of civility from the media on his radio show.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27199 on: November 07, 2018, 03:49:35 PM »
https://twitter.com/esaagar/status/1060270441288425472

Sounds like he's a riot at parties.

Even if Mueller is allowed to finish the investigation, he will submit his final report to the attorney general. This fact-based report will have the Justice Department’s conclusions about Russia’s attacks and any assistance they received from their American accomplices. Whitaker will have broad discretion to claim executive privilege on the report and could stuff it in a drawer without sending it to Congress or releasing it publicly — exactly what Rudy Giuliani has called on the attorney general to do.
Pretty wild that the new guy can actually do this.
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #27201 on: November 07, 2018, 03:52:04 PM »
Reading what you degenerates were saying on the last few pages...this is probably the worst post of all:
Only interested in Steve King going down
:kobeyuck

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #27202 on: November 07, 2018, 03:52:40 PM »
I was willfully listening to Hannity’s radio show just now.
:gurl

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
püp

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #27204 on: November 07, 2018, 03:54:08 PM »
Assi gets banned and AiA comes back almost immediately after

:thinking

Completely different wrting styles and I don't think Assi is capable of pulling that off.

Seeing the same admin who banned Assi "bless up" blatant bigotry is pretty awesome though;  forum is also kind of dead now.  Good work Rumbler.

AIA is a Republican, but he balances out his hatred of gays and transpersons by hating straights and cispersons too. Plus, he played for the Raidahs and we support Raider Nation in this house.

Played "poorly" sir. Don't disparage my lack of impact!
YMMV

benjipwns

« Reply #27205 on: November 07, 2018, 03:55:04 PM »
Also one of those things I refuse to let people forget that is Peter King, "House Terrorist Fighter Supreme", USED TO ORGANIZING FUNDING DRIVES AND MORE FOR THE IRA.

benjipwns

« Reply #27206 on: November 07, 2018, 03:55:30 PM »
I was willfully listening to Hannity’s radio show just now.
:gurl
Some of us aren't afraid of intellectual challenges.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #27207 on: November 07, 2018, 03:57:32 PM »
Also I would have those blank tapes to make awesome poem with some pawgs. So don't call me Russell either.  :doge
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

YMMV

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #27209 on: November 07, 2018, 03:59:48 PM »
So basically trump, himself, believes he has nothing to hide right now. 

That's a bold stance to take against a body that says you shouldn't be where you are if you take that stance.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #27210 on: November 07, 2018, 04:01:30 PM »
So basically trump, himself, believes he has nothing to hide right now. 

That's a bold stance to take against a body that says you shouldn't be where you are if you take that stance.

This is Clinton 2.0 not Nixon 2.0....your orange overlords isn't going anywhere.
YMMV

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27211 on: November 07, 2018, 04:09:32 PM »
https://twitter.com/jeremyherb/status/1060268655550849024
The new guy now oversees the Russia investigation.
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #27212 on: November 07, 2018, 04:10:53 PM »
To toss in my own analysis into this conversation from earlier:
Trump co-opted some popular Dem policy goals during his campaign: big infrastructure spending, protecting Medicare and Social Security, lowering drug prices, etc. Even repealing the ACA was described as a step towards something which would get everybody covered for cheap.
During his press conference earlier Trump was promoting that now we can finally do the stuff on infrastructure and health care because he'll get all the Dems votes and a few Republicans whereas before he had to fight the GOP losers like Paul Ryan and Bob Corker.

And this last week in his rallies around the country he was promoting lowering drug prices as a major agenda item that he needed a new Congress for. Along with lots of NAFTA bashing and promotion of his new trade deal that he also needed Congress to get their shit together on.

That "Perot voter" type straddle across the non-culture issues combined with Trump's personality continues to be an underrated and underreported/analyzed force imo. With all the typical caveats, plus my own about such things like coattails, I can't believe he maybe yet again pulled some of these states like Florida across the line by turning the races' focuses back into those. DeSantis shifted his campaign message from random racist nonsense and old conservative talking points into parroting Trump. He should have lost that race by five points or more.

Also, we must remember that I alone am immune to this:
Guys, I think I got it figured out.

What Democrats need to do to win is what I would want them to do anyway, and it would be easy.
Also in the case of what benefits Republicans. Or Trump. Or Omarosa.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #27213 on: November 07, 2018, 04:15:39 PM »
He's trying to be a grifter again.

The difference is that now he can't sign the checks anymore.

benjipwns

« Reply #27214 on: November 07, 2018, 04:16:07 PM »
https://twitter.com/MattWhitaker46/status/181812953052479488

we're fucked
Why would they want a 31 year old minor league leftfield prospect with a broken hand? It's not even the same sport.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27215 on: November 07, 2018, 04:19:08 PM »
The last time the Dems tried to play hardball with Trump over the budget they threatened to shutdown the government over the dreamers (and actually did so shortly).
Trump then persuaded them to end the shutdown because he was willing to talk about the dreamers and stabbed them in the back shortly after.

Democrats see more value in government funded programs and employees than Trump does. He doesn't care if the government shuts down unlike Obama.

All the Democrats can threaten him with is: "You will ruin the country" to which his response will be: "Yes, so?"

Finding some way to work together or putting the GOP under scrutiny with investigations are the only two paths the Democrats can take. And if Trump's behaviour of today is any indication for the future it'll be option 2 soon.
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #27216 on: November 07, 2018, 04:20:21 PM »
Hannity's a mess, THE MAXINE WATERS LED HOUSE IS GOING TO INVESTIGATE TRUMP'S TAXES BACK TO 1973!!!!!

That would be exactly the kind of useless investigation and oversight you would want them to waste all their resources on you dope.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27217 on: November 07, 2018, 04:22:48 PM »
https://twitter.com/NancyPelosi/status/1060275979782967298

It's war then

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Rosenstein is expected to resign within 48 hours
[close]
🤴

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #27218 on: November 07, 2018, 04:25:50 PM »
The last time the Dems tried to play hardball with Trump over the budget they threatened to shutdown the government over the dreamers (and actually did so shortly).
Trump then persuaded them to end the shutdown because he was willing to talk about the dreamers and stabbed them in the back shortly after.

Democrats see more value in government funded programs and employees than Trump does. He doesn't care if the government shuts down unlike Obama.

All the Democrats can threaten him with is: "You will ruin the country" to which his response will be: "Yes, so?"

Finding some way to work together or putting the GOP under scrutiny with investigations are the only two paths the Democrats can take. And if Trump's behaviour of today is any indication for the future it'll be option 2 soon.

I don't think that's a fair comparison.

dems never had any actual power outside of "look at us" for the budget.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #27219 on: November 07, 2018, 04:28:53 PM »
is pelosi married?

benjipwns

« Reply #27220 on: November 07, 2018, 04:32:59 PM »
is pelosi married?
Yeah, he's actually younger. I don't remember if he screwed up and made any of her insider trades for her.

benjipwns

« Reply #27221 on: November 07, 2018, 04:34:58 PM »
Before Politics:

After Politics:

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #27222 on: November 07, 2018, 04:37:31 PM »
Patricia

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #27223 on: November 07, 2018, 04:37:49 PM »
Pelosi can die in a fire and it feel sorry for the fire.
YMMV

benjipwns

« Reply #27224 on: November 07, 2018, 04:47:15 PM »
imo D'Alesandro is a way better last name* than Pelosi, but she did want to distance from her family IIRC

*this is how I judge all "taking spouse's name" situations

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #27225 on: November 07, 2018, 04:50:34 PM »
Speaker D'Alesandro.

yum.

benjipwns

« Reply #27226 on: November 07, 2018, 04:52:40 PM »
I have an acquaintance who didn't take her man's last name because she google searched it and it was heavily attached to a porn star.

At least this is the accusation version I choose to believe.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #27227 on: November 07, 2018, 05:00:18 PM »
I know that we are young,
And I know that you may love me,
But I just can't be with you like this anymore,
D'Alesandro
©@©™

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #27228 on: November 07, 2018, 05:02:15 PM »
D'Alesandro

I love miley cyrus

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27229 on: November 07, 2018, 05:05:45 PM »
🤴

Himu

« Reply #27230 on: November 07, 2018, 05:10:11 PM »
Adding to our discussion from last night on more democrats needing to run more moderate.

To start, despite some electric wins by ultra-progressives in cobalt-blue House districts, the real story is how well mainstream and pragmatic progressive Democrats fared in both the primaries and general election contests. The moderate New Democratic caucus in the U.S. House endorsed 37 candidates in primary races, and 32 earned the nomination — an 86 percent win rate. By contrast, Our Revolution, the grass-roots organization founded and run by Bernie Sanders’s backers, had a win rate under 40 percent in the primaries. Once the general election rolled around, 23 New Democrat-backed candidates flipped House seats to help gain the majority, while not a single Our Revolution-endorsed candidate captured a red seat. Zero.

Speaking of zero, our team watched every one of the 967 ads that Democrats ran in competitive House districts since Labor Day, and just two candidates mentioned either Medicare-for-all or single payer, and of those, neither won. In the primary season, activists hounded Democratic candidates to endorse Medicare-for-all, the centerpiece of the Sanders agenda, and a fair number complied. By the general election, most of those candidates were in full retreat after a series of studies estimated the required tax bill at $32 trillion and noted other negative side-effects.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/dont-let-progressives-fool-you-moderate-democrats-can-win/2018/11/07/37648218-e2b1-11e8-ab2c-b31dcd53ca6b_story.html?utm_term=.1a175220f6fb

IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #27231 on: November 07, 2018, 05:16:13 PM »
D'Alesandro
reminds me, curly, how's this for your headcanon, The Fame Monster (NOT The Fame, at least not by itself) is a potential top ten of all time for me :brazilcry

Himu

« Reply #27232 on: November 07, 2018, 05:21:33 PM »
The Fame Monster is a classic.

IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #27233 on: November 07, 2018, 05:23:09 PM »
Adding to our discussion from last night on more democrats needing to run more moderate.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/dont-let-progressives-fool-you-moderate-democrats-can-win/2018/11/07/37648218-e2b1-11e8-ab2c-b31dcd53ca6b_story.html?utm_term=.1a175220f6fb
Jim Kessler is senior vice president for policy at Third Way. Lanae Erickson is vice president for social policy and politics at Third Way.

Also:
Twenty-three million Democratic primary voters and 50 million voters who cast ballots for Democrats in the general election can’t be wrong.
but 13 million Democratic primary voters can be :ohyou

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27234 on: November 07, 2018, 05:25:00 PM »
Stay safely moderate Democrats. A Clinton/Bloomberg ticket could do really well in 2020  :smug
🤴

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #27235 on: November 07, 2018, 05:25:45 PM »
The Fame Monster is a classic.

this might be the only good post youve ever posted.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #27236 on: November 07, 2018, 05:25:49 PM »
Stay safely moderate Democrats. A Clinton/Bloomberg ticket could do really well in 2020  :smug

In what, a Queen of heats rally? Stop it.
YMMV

benjipwns

« Reply #27237 on: November 07, 2018, 05:26:07 PM »
D'Alesandro
Don't want to kiss, don't want to touch
Just smoke my cigarette and hush
Don't call my name, don't call my name, Beto

Himu

« Reply #27238 on: November 07, 2018, 05:27:40 PM »

Gross. Bloomberg is an authoritarian with a history of racist policies.
IYKYK

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #27239 on: November 07, 2018, 05:37:22 PM »