Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5390145 times)

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| America: A Yum! Brands affiliate
« Reply #33900 on: April 11, 2019, 01:01:54 PM »
©ZH

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33901 on: April 11, 2019, 01:20:10 PM »
That is just the shit we see though. Imagine what sort of 'deals'  and changes he's making behind the scenes on a daily basis having access to the full government apparatus while distracting everyone with Fox News promotions.

At the end of 2020 it'll be revealed that the formerly United States of America is now a subsidiary of the Trump Organization and Rosneft.
🤴

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #33902 on: April 11, 2019, 01:39:36 PM »
In general I think people are coming around to Trump not being an incompetent boob who surrounds himself with grifters just fucking everything up, but that there is a now a very clear and intentional attempt to circumvent the rule of law and government apparatuses.

He's still an incompetent boob, and I don't think all the "acting" department heads are the result of some cunning long game. Especially when the Senate is willing to confirm pretty much anyone short of Herman Cain (who might still pass if we were talking HUD and not the Fed).

Doesn't mean he's not an authoritarian, but his way of trying to circumvent the rule of law is mostly to encourage other people to break laws on his behalf, then bitch about it on Twitter if they don't.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #33903 on: April 11, 2019, 01:49:08 PM »
Lou Dobbs posted some fake poll numbers showing Trump with 55% approval rating (actually his disapproval rating). You won't believe what Trump tweeted next!
©@©™

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #33904 on: April 11, 2019, 02:34:07 PM »
Has anyone checked to see if Glenn Greenwald is ok this morning?
vin

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33906 on: April 11, 2019, 02:36:36 PM »
Has anyone checked to see if Glenn Greenwald is ok this morning?

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1116383095605927943

It's like rain on your wedding day or something.
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33907 on: April 11, 2019, 02:41:05 PM »
============ You have been visited by the hobo spirit of assange! ==============

============ He will leak the secrets of your government ===================
🤴

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #33908 on: April 11, 2019, 02:44:42 PM »
If you've ever been to therapy often times you'll talk about reconciling two opposing emotions and that's what I'm feeling about being uncomfortable with  the us arresting  assange for this but also laughing at Greenwald.
vin

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #33909 on: April 11, 2019, 02:55:24 PM »
Today:
“I know nothing about WikiLeaks, it’s not my thing,” he told reporters Thursday. “I know there is something having to do with Julian Assange, I’ve been seeing what’s happened with Assange and that will be a determination I would imagine by the attorney general who is doing an excellent job so he will be making a determination. I know nothing really about him, it’s not my deal in life.”

— Oct. 10, 2016: “WikiLeaks, I love WikiLeaks.”

— Oct. 13, 2016: “It’s amazing what’s coming out on WikiLeaks. … They want to distract us from WikiLeaks.”

— Oct. 20, 2016: “We’ve learned so much from WikiLeaks.”

— Oct. 29, 2016: “This WikiLeaks is fascinating.”

— Oct. 31, 2016: “This WikiLeaks is like a treasure trove.”

— Nov. 4, 2016: “I was just getting off the plane and they were just announcing new WikiLeaks and I wanted to stay but I didn’t want to keep you waiting. … Boy I love reading those WikiLeaks.”

:trumps
spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Melania who? Never met her."
[close]
©ZH

Nola

« Reply #33910 on: April 11, 2019, 02:59:57 PM »
In general I think people are coming around to Trump not being an incompetent boob who surrounds himself with grifters just fucking everything up, but that there is a now a very clear and intentional attempt to circumvent the rule of law and government apparatuses.

He's still an incompetent boob, and I don't think all the "acting" department heads are the result of some cunning long game. Especially when the Senate is willing to confirm pretty much anyone short of Herman Cain (who might still pass if we were talking HUD and not the Fed).

Doesn't mean he's not an authoritarian, but his way of trying to circumvent the rule of law is mostly to encourage other people to break laws on his behalf, then bitch about it on Twitter if they don't.

I think that's correct.

Secondarily though, it is also the sort of intensifying pump-priming of fascist thought that has me at least somewhat worried long-term(and also shorter-term). As it seems more and more out-group animosity and authoritarian concepts of strength, punishment, and governance are seen as a core identity trait within even mainstream conservative party's. And for that leadership to remain perceived as genuine and authentic to it's base, it likely requires an ever harsher application over time.

Conservatives are heavily top-down and somewhat emotionally malleable, so hopefully whoever catches fire next go round won't have the same impulses and can shift the identity of the party off this trend enough. If not, or if not before then, it certainly seems reasonable a point will get reached where just walking up to the line or slightly past it is no longer good enough, from a leader's perception or in reality, to maintain confidence from the base.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Boredfrom

« Reply #33912 on: April 11, 2019, 03:05:50 PM »

I mean, if they were that competent Barr would have not burned himself so fast with the spy accusation.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #33913 on: April 11, 2019, 03:09:25 PM »
If you've ever been to therapy often times you'll talk about reconciling two opposing emotions and that's what I'm feeling about being uncomfortable with  the us arresting  assange for this but also laughing at Greenwald.

https://twitter.com/randygdub/status/1116312967090298881

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33914 on: April 11, 2019, 03:10:45 PM »
Became a lobbyist after leaving the WH and 2 years later messed up.. after a storied multi-decade career.

Totally the same!  An Obama scandal according to Twitter!

Fuck off Nintex
To be fair, Paul Manafort thought that what he did was totally 'legal'. And Ukraine thought he was with the CIA or at least sponsored by them.

There's probably a lot of the same 'lobbyists' and 'lawyers' out there thinking that they're not doing anything wrong just happened to have been in touch with the wrong people at the wrong time.
🤴

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #33915 on: April 11, 2019, 03:12:11 PM »
To be fair, Paul Manafort thought that what he did was totally 'legal'.

you're lying again

Nola

« Reply #33916 on: April 11, 2019, 03:23:49 PM »
Yeah, I'm sure the guy that ran "The Torturers Lobby" for almost two decades and just really felt the need to funnel his overseas blood money into overpriced area rugs thought he was on the legal up and up.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #33917 on: April 11, 2019, 03:40:11 PM »

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
每天生气

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33919 on: April 11, 2019, 05:28:21 PM »
I knew Joe Biden was a turnip penguin.
©@©™

kingv

« Reply #33920 on: April 11, 2019, 06:19:15 PM »

I don’t really think Assange is a journalist. He’s a source. And sources get arrested all of the time.

He doesn’t work for a news organization, he doesn’t “investigate stories”, he doesn’t publish articles. He doesn’t interview people. He doesn’t report the news. He doesn’t take any steps to verify the things he receives.

He didn’t even write his own biggest stories. He’s only a “reporter” in the loosest possible definition of the word. Like Alex Jones is a “comedian”.

Occam

« Reply #33921 on: April 11, 2019, 06:40:50 PM »
So he's not a source, he's a conduit.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33922 on: April 11, 2019, 06:43:32 PM »
Assange was a journalist for Russia Today. Wikileaks would often fuck up and post the same tweet as RT (with a link to an article embedded) too early.
🤴

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #33924 on: April 11, 2019, 08:56:44 PM »
Avenatti is now facing federal charges in California as well: https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-avenatti-indicted-fraud-theft-charges-20190411-story.html
In a sweeping expansion of the criminal charges against Michael Avenatti, a federal grand jury has indicted the Los Angeles lawyer on 36 counts of fraud, perjury, failure to pay taxes, embezzlement and other financial crimes.

Avenatti stole millions of dollars from five clients and used a tangled web of shell companies and bank accounts to cover up the theft, the Santa Ana grand jury alleged in an indictment that prosecutors made public Thursday.

One of the clients, Geoffrey Ernest Johnson, was a mentally ill paraplegic on disability who won a $4-million settlement of a suit against Los Angeles County. The money was wired to Avenatti in January 2015, but he hid it from Johnson for years, according to the indictment.

In 2017, Avenatti received $2.75 million in proceeds from another client’s legal settlement, but concealed that too, the indictment says. The next day, he put $2.5 million of that money into the purchase of a private jet for Passport 420, LLC, a company he effectively owned, according to prosecutors.

At the time, Avenatti and his businesses owed millions of dollars in back taxes, the government claimed, and his Newport Beach law firm, Eagan Avenatti, was weeks from bankruptcy.

Federal agents seized the Honda HA-420 jet at Santa Barbara Airport on Wednesday under a court-approved warrant that remains under seal, said Thom Mrozek, a spokesman for the U.S. attorney’s office in Los Angeles.

“Michael Avenatti allegedly stole from his clients, and he stole from the IRS,” said Ryan L. Korner, the chief of Internal Revenue Service criminal investigations in Los Angeles. “The money was used to fuel a lavish lifestyle that had no limits, including making mortgage payments on a multimillion-dollar home in Laguna Beach and purchasing a private plane.”

The breadth of Avenatti’s alleged crimes is clear in the maximum sentence he would face if convicted on all counts: 335 years in prison.
Avenatti’s alleged tax crimes were both personal and business. Prosecutors say he did not file personal income tax returns in 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 — years when, according to the IRS, he deposited millions of dollars in his personal bank accounts.

Avenatti failed to file tax returns for both of his law practices, Eagan Avenatti and Avenatti & Associates, in 2015, 2016 and 2017, the government charged.

The grand jury also accused Avenatti of lying to the IRS about his pocketing of nearly $2.4 million in taxes withheld from the paychecks of employees of Global Baristas U.S., which operated Tully’s coffee stores in Washington and California.

When the IRS started garnishing the company’s bank accounts, the indictment says, Avenatti ordered employees to deposit the stores’ cash and credit-card receipts in new accounts under a new corporate name. In an email instructing a credit-card processing firm to switch accounts, Avenatti wrote, “we need this done ASAP.”

Avenatti was also charged with concealing Eagan Avenatti assets from the federal court that oversaw its bankruptcy in 2017 and 2018. Echoing allegations by Avenatti’s former law partner Jason Frank, the grand jury accused Avenatti of signing multiple false court statements, under penalty of perjury, hiding substantial revenue from Frank, the IRS and other creditors.

The indictment accuses Avenatti of lying during his June 2017 testimony in the bankruptcy case. He responded “no” when he was asked whether Eagan Avenatti had received legal fees when it was representing ticket holders who sued the NFL over seating snafus at the 2011 Super Bowl in Texas.

In fact, the indictment says, Avenatti “well knew” that the firm had received nearly $1.4 million on May 17, 2017.
not in this story and couldn't find a decent source yet but saw mentions on Twitter earlier this hour that the filing indicates he may not have filed any kinds of taxes since 2010

agrajag

« Reply #33925 on: April 11, 2019, 09:00:26 PM »
 :neogaf

benjipwns

« Reply #33926 on: April 11, 2019, 09:10:23 PM »
https://twitter.com/MichaelAvenatti/status/1116370767447351296

here's a source with the 2010 thing, also details on the bank fraud charges where he submitted fake tax returns:
Nineteen tax-related charges against Avenatti include accusations he has not filed personal income tax returns since 2010, and didn't file some tax returns for his two law firms. He is also accused of failing to pay more than $3 million in payroll taxes while he was the owner Global Baristas US LLC, which operated Tully’s Coffee.

"Avenatti allegedly attempted to obstruct the IRS’s efforts to collect the taxes" by lying and directing funds from credit card transactions at Tully's coffee shops to a new bank account, the U.S. attorney's office said.

Two bank fraud charges against Avenatti allege he secured bank loans by submitting tax returns that had never been filed with the IRS and by claiming that the Eagan Avenatti law firm had $508,200 in its operating account when it had only a little more than $43,000.

Avenatti is also charged with four counts of bankruptcy fraud for allegedly failing to report all of Eagan Avenatti’s accounts receivable, under penalty of perjury, and falsely testifying under oath during a bankruptcy hearing by denying the firm had received more than $1.3 million in fees when it had.

The IRS has been investigating Avenatti for more than two and a half years, Hanna said.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #33927 on: April 11, 2019, 09:12:54 PM »
I mean dumb dumbs like RE posters

biiiiiiiiitch...

BisMarckie

« Reply #33928 on: April 11, 2019, 09:13:23 PM »
I heard the Ecuadorian embassy has a free room. He might want to send them an e-mail.

benjipwns

« Reply #33929 on: April 11, 2019, 09:17:54 PM »
I heard the Ecuadorian embassy has a free room. He might want to send them an e-mail.
source your comments please:
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1116435787657162752

agrajag

« Reply #33930 on: April 11, 2019, 09:19:32 PM »
at least let them clean the poo off the walls first

shosta

« Reply #33931 on: April 11, 2019, 09:22:44 PM »
Why did he smear feces on the wall, though
每天生气

BisMarckie

« Reply #33932 on: April 11, 2019, 09:25:53 PM »

I'd imagine being in that embassy for 7 years, basically in solitary confinement, can't be good for your mental health.

benjipwns

« Reply #33933 on: April 11, 2019, 09:30:11 PM »
can't you wiki embassy protocol at least before asking questions?

BisMarckie

« Reply #33934 on: April 11, 2019, 09:32:39 PM »

agrajag

« Reply #33935 on: April 11, 2019, 09:36:01 PM »
You flew too close to the sun, Grifticus

benjipwns

« Reply #33936 on: April 11, 2019, 09:47:18 PM »
lol at how this story has been edited, first notice the url: https://www.thedailybeast.com/ilhan-omar-death-threats-surge-online-after-911-comments

but the headline:
Instagram Stands By Laura Loomer Calling Ilhan Omar’s Islamic Faith ‘Cancer’

lede:
Death threats against Rep. Ilhan Omar are surging online after conservatives criticized the Muslim congresswoman for comments they claimed downplayed the 9/11 terror attacks. And when it comes to threats on Instagram, the site said it would not ban a prominent figure spewing hate speech against Omar.

This week Fox News and Republicans circulated an out-of-context clip of Omar discussing anti-Muslim sentiment after 9/11 ...

fourteen paragraphs, one quote insert, two 'other stories' inserts and a picture later, the entire rest of the article:
Some threats on Instagram were even more explicit. Instagram hosts Laura Loomer, a far-right troll who has been banned from Twitter. In a viciously anti-Muslim Instagram rant to her 112,000 followers this week, Loomer attacked Muslims’ right to practice their religion and hold office in the U.S.

Calling Islam a “cancer,” Loomer told followers that “Muslims should not be allowed to seek positions of political office in this country. It should be illegal.

She went on to claim that Omar and Tlaib, the first two Muslim women in Congress, would help throw away the Constitution and implement “an Islamic caliphate [...] because of who they are, because they are Muslims.”

An Instagram spokesperson told The Daily Beast that Loomer's Instagram story violated its policies against hate speech, which prohibit attacks on people based on their religion, but it declined to ban Loomer over her violation. Instead, Instagram said it would ban accounts that repeatedly violated their rules.

In the comments of Loomer’s many recent Instagram posts about Omar, fans openly called for the congresswoman’s murder. “Someone behead that sinister bitch,” one pro-Trump account commented on one of Loomer’s posts. The comment was one of many to recommend or personally offer assassination for Omar.

Death threats haven’t been limited to social media. Last week, an upstate New York man was arrested for allegedly leaving a voicemail calling Omar “a fucking terrorist,” repeating a false conspiracy theory about the Muslim Brotherhood, and threatening to shoot her in the head. In February, authorities said a Coast Guard lieutenant arrested with an arsenal put Omar on a hit list with other figures on the left.

why did they make this Instagram and Loomer thing the headline?!? or claim they "stand by" it? or treat Loomer's comment as an actual threat of some kind? :lol

Tripon

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #33938 on: April 11, 2019, 10:11:00 PM »
Do you really need it explained why someone might consider that hate speech or are you just doing the thing where you pretend to not understand?

kingv

« Reply #33939 on: April 11, 2019, 10:14:17 PM »
How the fuck do you get two degrees from MIT and come out of it going “hmm, maybe climate change isn’t real?” Like you are smart enough to read the science... allegedly.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #33941 on: April 11, 2019, 10:18:01 PM »
I feel like there's been a marginal shift from "it's all a hoax!" to "well the worst case scenario probably won't happen and if you look at the costs of trying to stop it..." in terms of the denial talking points.

Caveats: that's just my personal impression, and also the arguments on that side are super prone to kettle logic.

shosta

« Reply #33943 on: April 11, 2019, 10:35:02 PM »
I'd imagine being in that embassy for 7 years, basically in solitary confinement, can't be good for your mental health.
that's my life and I'm fine
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #33944 on: April 11, 2019, 10:36:12 PM »
that's my life and I'm fine

I give this two Pinocchios.

shosta

« Reply #33945 on: April 11, 2019, 10:40:28 PM »
Which part  :-*
每天生气

Tripon

benjipwns

« Reply #33947 on: April 11, 2019, 11:13:49 PM »
how would driving up Pelosi's margin of victory with new Democrat voters be retribution?

Tripon

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33950 on: April 12, 2019, 03:29:51 AM »
https://twitter.com/officialmcafee/status/1116545652710957057

Even John "my dick is the biggest" is shitting his pants rn knowing Trump could arrest him too
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33951 on: April 12, 2019, 06:18:19 PM »
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1116817144006750209

I guess Rudy is also running the campaign now.
🤴

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #33952 on: April 12, 2019, 06:55:26 PM »
So weird that the guy tells lies about American Muslims cheering 9/11 and who tried to ban Muslims from entering the country (and partially succeeded!) would do something like this.

shosta

« Reply #33953 on: April 12, 2019, 07:17:28 PM »
"something like this"? Really?
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #33954 on: April 12, 2019, 07:24:32 PM »
I like that Omar brought up how Muslims in America were unjustly lumped together with 9/11 and terrorism and the Right's collective response is to put her name and image next to footage of 9/11. Very cool
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #33955 on: April 12, 2019, 07:28:36 PM »
Literally everyone pretending to be offended by this also bends over backwards on a weekly basis to pretend whatever bullshit Trump was fine.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33956 on: April 12, 2019, 07:33:56 PM »
To be fair to Trump he's the only one that grilled the Bush's over their response to 9/11 and the Iraq war at every opportunity he got.

Most others are like: "9/11, we lost 2 buildings! NeVar Forget!"

"Iraq War? 18 years of war in Afghanistan? Woopsie.... COLLATERAL DAMAGE  :american"
🤴

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #33957 on: April 12, 2019, 07:40:44 PM »
trump lied about opposing the iraq war

also he kept saying we should have stolen their oil

Tripon

« Reply #33958 on: April 12, 2019, 07:50:40 PM »
trump lied about opposing the iraq war

also he kept saying we should have stolen their oil

"Take the oil". He thinks that the U.S. won the war against Iraq and thus owns the materials and property. It's even more fucked up.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33959 on: April 12, 2019, 07:52:30 PM »
The stealing their oil stuff was so weird. Like, most of the other ideas he had were just simple solutions for complex problems.
The stealing the oil seemed like some sort of movie villain idea and i wonder which movie he got it from, There Will Be Blood?
🤴