Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5432222 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: Gold-Plated Trumpmerica Thread |OT| On-time and under-budget
« Reply #480 on: November 23, 2016, 02:55:59 PM »
Well, I guess public education is pretty much dead.
dog

Himu

« Reply #481 on: November 23, 2016, 02:58:09 PM »
Four years of this. Possibly eight.

That's an entire generation given the finger.
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #483 on: November 23, 2016, 03:24:48 PM »
You could make the argument that the rise of Reagan in the 80's was a pushback on the 'radical' left of the 70's. Newspapers were how we communicated and grabbing the headlines was the way to get your message out. Feminists like Steinem, groups like Greenpeace, Earth First!, the GLF, the Black Panthers, etc. seized on this and grabbed the headlines as the more traditional, Marxist/Labor Union-based voices faded away.

People got tired of their voices and the mainstream press coddling their viewpoints, so they sought something different.

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #484 on: November 23, 2016, 03:30:14 PM »
capitalism has been creeping in Sweden for many years now and it's just showing.

Yeah tell me about it, I've been working for 14 years now and I've gotten a salary all this time :O
地平線

Nola

« Reply #485 on: November 23, 2016, 03:40:59 PM »
You could make the argument that the rise of Reagan in the 80's was a pushback on the 'radical' left of the 70's. Newspapers were how we communicated and grabbing the headlines was the way to get your message out. Feminists like Steinem, groups like Greenpeace, Earth First!, the GLF, the Black Panthers, etc. seized on this and grabbed the headlines as the more traditional, Marxist/Labor Union-based voices faded away.

People got tired of their voices and the mainstream press coddling their viewpoints, so they sought something different.

I take a longer view then that even. Reagan in my mind was really the shifting point into a full on post FDR era of American politics IMO. The break was a long time coming though for factors you mentioned and many more. Politics since Reagan have primarily been played in his shadow it seems. Be it Bush Republicanism or Clinton "third way" politics that consumed the party since the 90's.

Though Trump may be signaling that era is closing. As his own ascendence to me in part reflects a growing disillusionment with many of the underlying tenants of Reaganism once held as dogma.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 03:50:03 PM by Nola »

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #486 on: November 23, 2016, 03:54:20 PM »
argue with a dude who has a johnny depp as hst avi brehs

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #487 on: November 23, 2016, 03:58:29 PM »
Because I am suffocated in a white guilt shithole every day, I don't need it online.
fat

« Reply #488 on: November 23, 2016, 04:50:06 PM »
#givehimachance

spoiler (click to show/hide)
People talk to am nintenho like he's a real person now

:idont

[close]
I've been trying to remember the name of that self-described schizoid dude who left around the time Magus took off, and all I can ever come up with is this, even though I know it's wrong. There has to be a connection to Nintendo, but I just can't remember.

Is it Martin Raperman?

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #489 on: November 23, 2016, 04:58:18 PM »
Nah, Raperman's incomprehensible psycho shtick was unique(ly annoying).

I found out who I was thinking of:
Damian79
http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=2059

etiolate

« Reply #490 on: November 23, 2016, 05:27:20 PM »
Because I am suffocated in a white guilt shithole every day, I don't need it online.

I recall getting shit for that and now everyone is bitching about SJWs in the gaf thread.

:lol

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #491 on: November 23, 2016, 05:35:53 PM »
Jill Stein crowdfunding for a recount of votes in three states... What ?
Also there's supposedly 6 Trump faithless electors ?
ὕβρις

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #492 on: November 23, 2016, 05:41:50 PM »

I recall getting shit for that and now everyone is bitching about SJWs in the gaf thread.

Actually it's mostly the new arrivals. :doge

Himu

« Reply #493 on: November 23, 2016, 05:48:00 PM »

No it's not, it's the shit poster new kids who are
IYKYK

etiolate

« Reply #494 on: November 23, 2016, 05:58:11 PM »
Nah, I see many people bitching about it. Also, my follow up point back then about the true nature of white guilt is exceedingly relevant.

People need to learn that I figure things out quicker. Stop being threatened by my existence. It's silly.

Speaking of which, it's lesson time.

Because the right loves authority. They can't conceive of a world where there's not some shadowy authority pulling the strings everywhere.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/30/opinion/sunday/america-your-election-is-not-rigged.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/07/opinion/how-to-rig-an-election.html

https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/801220122790793216
https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/801242086834049024

http://www.vox.com/new-money/2016/11/23/13726784/trump-clinton-election-audits

lulz

The real thing about conspiracy is that Krugman is right in that they do exist. Most people don't know what a conspiracy truly is and use the word to try and dismiss people. Watergate was a conspiracy. It also happened. A conspiracy to kill President Lincoln happened. People do conspire.

Unfortunately, what people want to say when they say conspiracy or conspiracy theorist is "YOU ARE CRAZY PERSON!" But they don't want to use the word crazy because they've checked the current manners on that and know to not use the word. It's a such a low-class faux pas to do so after all, so you call people a conspiracy theorist or whatever . However, the nutty conspiracies and the current, modern definition of the word has a few actual traits it must have.

A modern conspiracy normally has: 1) A complicated web of events and secrecy, almost to the point where it seems irrational. 2) Must attempt to deceive the greater public at all costs for something that may not be in their interest.

So aliens at Roswell, 911 was an inside job, and stuff like chemtrails are conspiracies. Overwrought explanations for things with no proof and would require a great level of deception to keep up.

Saying that something looks suspicious and questioning the ethics of something or figuring that some company is behaving dishonestly to boost its finances isn't a conspiracy. It's just plain old skepticism.

Himu

« Reply #495 on: November 23, 2016, 06:00:23 PM »
> Complain about sociopaths
> writes "People need to learn that I figure things out quicker. Stop being threatened by my existence. It's silly."

What were you right about regarding white guilt? I've never been fond of white guilt. I prefer white action. Feeling guilty will not change your racist family members. Feeling guilty will not lead to a better society. Education and action will.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #496 on: November 23, 2016, 06:09:22 PM »

Three states [Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania] were surveyed by mathematicians, who found irregularities in voting patterns of counties that used electronic voting machines versus ones that used paper ballots, leading to speculation that a hand recount in those three states could alter the results. Hillary hasn't said anything about it, though, as far as I know.

Unrelated: Hillary is now ahead by 2 million votes.
dog

etiolate

« Reply #497 on: November 23, 2016, 06:10:55 PM »
White guilt's true nature sort of has to do with identity politics, but more so with the politics of victimhood.

At one point, people were trying to empower victims to be able to speak up and have support networks. After awhile though, this crossed over into the status of victim being a form of social power (which is dangerous and not helpful).

A lot of white guilt is based on recognizing this. They also recognize that they don't have access to this because of being white and the heirarchy of identity politics. So they begin apologizing for whiteness and saying sorry for things completely unconnected to them. This pushes them closer to the victimhood power, but it normally takes speaking for the victim and others to get in that range. Once they're defending and apologizing at once, they feel that they've begun to wedge their way into that victimhood social power. This is when you get the arrogant whiff of righteousness stank-assing their words. Its a performative act of empathy to gain access to victimhood social power even though not a thing has happened to them.

It's truly fucked up. One of the reasons I don't apologize for others acts is because that apology belongs to them. The other reason is understanding the true nature of white guilt.

Himu

« Reply #498 on: November 23, 2016, 06:35:22 PM »
White guilt has always been dumb and I don't know a single minority who actively embraces it? So I'm not sure why you're preaching to the choir?
IYKYK

etiolate

« Reply #499 on: November 23, 2016, 06:36:42 PM »
You asked what I meant, so I explained. *shrug*

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #500 on: November 23, 2016, 07:10:46 PM »
Nah, I see many people bitching about it. Also, my follow up point back then about the true nature of white guilt is exceedingly relevant.

People need to learn that I figure things out quicker. Stop being threatened by my existence. It's silly.
Could you be any further up your own ass? :dayum

Optimus

• Lieutenant colonel, 26th Hate Machine battalion
« Reply #501 on: November 23, 2016, 08:31:21 PM »
The cancer of identity politics liberals has done far more harm than good, until ~2010 when these idiots appeared there was no alt-right and society was progressing pretty fucking smoothly despite the usual angry reactionary voices.
Society was progressing smoothly until 2010?  Where in the fuck are you getting this stuff?

I was talking about social progress. Hell, social progress kept happening even during the Bush years despite the Bush administrations fearmongering bullshit especially in the 2004 campaign.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #502 on: November 23, 2016, 09:20:28 PM »
So aliens at Roswell, 911 was an inside job, and stuff like chemtrails are conspiracies. Overwrought explanations for things with no proof and would require a great level of deception to keep up.

Or like the NBA rigging results to favor teams from big markets.

bluemax

« Reply #503 on: November 23, 2016, 10:12:01 PM »

There definitely was a conspiracy to get the Sonics to Oklahoma.
NO

etiolate

« Reply #504 on: November 23, 2016, 10:16:08 PM »

Or a referee fixing scores for and feeding info on ref bias to the mob

C O U G H

But actually influencing games a bit to help achieve certain outcomes for profit isn't complex enough to be a modern conspiracy.

agrajag

« Reply #505 on: November 24, 2016, 12:25:57 AM »
Demi please close registration.
Well look who turned into the Bore's Trump.

Next thing shes gonna ask Demi to build a firewall  :doge

agrajag

« Reply #506 on: November 24, 2016, 12:40:03 AM »
I didn't deny there were fake news stories.

I am saying the narrative on this is spin from news outlets that don't want to compete with non-traditional outlets and that these traditional outlets lost a ton of credibility from posting false stories themselves and relying on sensational/outrage non-news stories for profit.

The thing is if a legit news publication doesn't do its due diligence it is almost guaranteed to blow up in their face. There will be tons of backlash,  they will publish a retraction, people will lose jobs. With the Facebook clickbait bullshit, no matter how detached from reality, it will just get meme'd and reposted a million times. People consume news in the form of memes now, and that's fucking frightening.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #507 on: November 24, 2016, 01:47:24 AM »

Nola

« Reply #508 on: November 24, 2016, 01:56:30 AM »
https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/801420654478299136
tfw former Bush speech writers are the rational ones in the room.  :doge

David Frum is honestly probably one of, if not the most reasonable, rationale, thought provoking mainstream conservative personalities around right now.

His interview with Ezra Klein on his podcast was probably the most convincing critique of the modern Republican party that I have heard possibly ever.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #509 on: November 24, 2016, 01:57:12 AM »
Frum knows that long term, Trump is going to be bad for the Republican party.
yar

Nola

« Reply #510 on: November 24, 2016, 02:00:34 AM »
Frum knows that long term, Trump is going to be bad for the Republican party.

From what I gather Frum feels the entire party has already lost the plot and Trump is just another problem to add to it.

Nola

« Reply #511 on: November 24, 2016, 02:03:03 AM »

There definitely was a conspiracy to get the Sonics to Oklahoma.

Isn't the next expansion team confirmed to be the Sonics? I know Gary Payton has been heavily campaigning for it.

That or at this rate my Pelicans will be there after their contract is up

:tocry

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #512 on: November 24, 2016, 02:07:14 AM »

David Frum is honestly probably one of, if not the most reasonable, rationale, thought provoking mainstream conservative personalities around right now.

His interview with Ezra Klein on his podcast was probably the most convincing critique of the modern Republican party that I have heard possibly ever.
I don't disagree but the joke wouldn't have worked otherwise.

I was watching CBC for election night for like 11 hours straight and Frum was on for most of it, he's quite knowledgeable.

The funny (sad) thing/joke is the contrast between the Bush administration, which seemed like the worst possible thing at the time, and how the current Trump cabal is shaping up.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 02:28:18 AM by Let's Cyber »

Nola

« Reply #513 on: November 24, 2016, 02:42:48 AM »
SuperSonics legend Anthony "The Brow" Davis :rejoice
:shaq2

At this burn rate though, you will be lucky to have the Greg Oden version of Davis by the time he gets there.  :shaq

Nola

« Reply #514 on: November 24, 2016, 03:00:26 AM »

I don't disagree but the joke wouldn't have worked otherwise.

I was watching CBC for election night for like 11 hours straight and Frum was on for most of it, he's quite knowledgeable.

The funny (sad) thing/joke is the contrast between the Bush administration, which seemed like the worst possible thing at the time, and how the current Trump cabal is shaping up.

If nothing else, I would take Bushism's over Trump's ramblings any day.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #515 on: November 24, 2016, 03:36:52 AM »

Three states [Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania] were surveyed by mathematicians, who found irregularities in voting patterns of counties that used electronic voting machines versus ones that used paper ballots, leading to speculation that a hand recount in those three states could alter the results. Hillary hasn't said anything about it, though, as far as I know.

Oh I heard. It's not super convincing. The weird part is Stein doing it.
She raised her first goal of 2,5m$ by the way.
ὕβρις

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #516 on: November 24, 2016, 04:38:23 AM »

But how many ships does my $40,000 Founder's Edition pledge get me?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
One is all I need; Jill x Hillary (Jillary) is the OTP ship.  :doge
[close]
©@©™

agrajag

« Reply #517 on: November 24, 2016, 08:31:06 AM »

Super weird. I remember her campaign being more against Hillary than Trump.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #518 on: November 24, 2016, 09:00:06 AM »

Super weird. I remember her campaign being more against Hillary than Trump.

This is just her once again tap dancing for some delusional uber liberals, who in this case believe the election was stolen and want someone to do something about it. Hillary isn't stepping to the plate so here comes Stein to save the day.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #521 on: November 24, 2016, 10:55:06 AM »
dog

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #524 on: November 24, 2016, 12:43:10 PM »
Jill Stein now asking for more dough. :doge Dems mocked her for being an idiot who thinks wifi causes brain cancer and she still is gonna steal millions from those morons. :lol

zepblackstar

« Reply #525 on: November 24, 2016, 12:56:14 PM »
eh? How much does she need? I thought it was 2.5 million

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #526 on: November 24, 2016, 01:03:10 PM »
Now its 4.5 million and could go up to 7 :lol

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #527 on: November 24, 2016, 01:11:12 PM »
Everyone making a buck on the back of Hillary Clinton  :lol

EDIT :

President Elect looks like he is passing a kidney stone.
https://youtu.be/BUnv6Kb7syQ?t=1m38s
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 02:22:50 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Syph

« Reply #528 on: November 24, 2016, 02:27:05 PM »
What're the chances of a recount actually happening? What is the protocol when a candidate has already conceded/withdrawn?
I keep telling myself not to be worried, but I'm weary of the entitled me-first SJW generation's whining.

Someone quell my fears pls

Your favorite econometrician Nate Silver says the voting "irregularities" coincide with the districts they are in for other less sinister reasons, but who the fuck knows now

PS. Happy thanksgiving; my first one in the land of the free  :american
XO

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #529 on: November 24, 2016, 02:34:56 PM »
What're the chances of a recount actually happening? What is the protocol when a candidate has already conceded/withdrawn?
I keep telling myself not to be worried, but I'm weary of the entitled me-first SJW generation's whining.

Someone quell my fears pls

Your favorite econometrician Nate Silver says the voting "irregularities" coincide with the districts they are in for other less sinister reasons, but who the fuck knows now

PS. Happy thanksgiving; my first one in the land of the free  :american

It won't happen.
©@©™

zepblackstar

« Reply #530 on: November 24, 2016, 02:50:52 PM »
Now its 4.5 million and could go up to 7 :lol

people starting to ask for receipts on twitter. :lol :lol :lol

the icing on the cake would be for Trump to offer an ambassador position right after the EV are certified.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #531 on: November 24, 2016, 02:52:03 PM »
They'll recount the votes, some of the totals will shift around a bit, Trump will be President in January. The End.
dog

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #532 on: November 24, 2016, 02:52:57 PM »
:stahp
Hi

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #533 on: November 24, 2016, 02:55:23 PM »
It's probably a good thing to read the blog post of one of the computer scientists making the case for a recount. His argument and examples (including a past cyberattack on Ukrainian elections) are much more eloquent at making his point than the cartoon version used in debates. He's also aknowledging that hacking is a very unlikely cause for the results announced.

https://medium.com/@jhalderm/want-to-know-if-the-election-was-hacked-look-at-the-ballots-c61a6113b0ba#.ix0ztgb0l

Voting machines :trash
ὕβρις

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #534 on: November 24, 2016, 03:06:32 PM »
They already missed the deadline in PA. Shit's over, brehs.
yar

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #535 on: November 24, 2016, 03:11:23 PM »

Pennsylvania's deadline is the 28th.
dog

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #536 on: November 24, 2016, 03:14:37 PM »

Pennsylvania's deadline is the 28th.

ARE YOU TELLING ME I READ BULLSHIT INFORMATION ON THE INTERNET, DOG?
yar

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #537 on: November 24, 2016, 03:18:17 PM »
It'd be nice if they could show a bit of fuckery going on just to use as an excuse for mail-in ballots in states that don't have them (ie: Michigan and Pennsylvania).

I just really fucking hope the Democratic party doesn't put their heads in the sand and cry like they did during Bush's first term. A limp wristed president with a bad economy is what we need right (2 months from) now.

Syph

« Reply #538 on: November 24, 2016, 03:23:57 PM »
I mean again the irony to me is that people that were so entrenched in their hate against Trump have got to be looking at least a bit silly when he's flip-flopping so hard. Not to mention the Haley and potential Romney pick on the horizon.
Just kinda funny.
And then there's Bannon  :doge
(I omit mentioning Sessions because I never doubted he'd get a position)
XO

Nola

« Reply #539 on: November 24, 2016, 03:41:01 PM »
It'd be nice if they could show a bit of fuckery going on just to use as an excuse for mail-in ballots in states that don't have them (ie: Michigan and Pennsylvania).

I just really fucking hope the Democratic party doesn't put their heads in the sand and cry like they did during Bush's first term. A limp wristed president with a bad economy is what we need right (2 months from) now.

Many of the top Democrats were around during Bush, so hopefully they learned some lessons.

Though who am I kidding, I give Dems about a 30% chance to not end up getting steamrolled in the court of public opinion and fuck up the mid-terms and next election. And most of that 30% comes from the possibility of Republicans fucking it up with in-fighting and Trump going off the rails.