Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5391393 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: Gold-Plated Trumpmerica Thread |OT| On-time and under-budget
« Reply #360 on: November 21, 2016, 06:51:55 PM »
The whole 'WE WON! YOU LOST!' crap is pretty ridiculous. Trump won. You didn't win anything. You have no more rights or privilege than you did before the election.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/516382177798680576

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #361 on: November 21, 2016, 07:36:01 PM »
True. For a large portion of American population this election was all about sticking it to somebody. Not about improving their lives, but making someone else's worse. Because fuck you.

The transition from "fuck you I have mine" to "fuck you I don't have anything and Ill be damned if you do too"

Right now it's important not to demonize Trump but to point out his incompetence. Two things that would help rural, impoverished areas are massive job training/education programs and cheaper cost of living. I fully expect the next 4 years to be harder for that demographic since cost of everything is gonna shoot the fuck up.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #362 on: November 21, 2016, 08:28:44 PM »
And all I will hear is "it's becawse thuh gawddamned libruls that muh smokes are $12.00 a pack."
rub

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #363 on: November 21, 2016, 09:37:05 PM »
Trump met with a bunch of TV journalists and executives today, which apparently isn't usually that big of deal and is just about discussing how the President is going to handle communications, but this is Trump, so...:

“It was like a f–ing firing squad,” one source said of the encounter. “Trump started with [CNN chief] Jeff Zucker and said ‘I hate your network, everyone at CNN is a liar and you should be ashamed,’ ” the source said.

....“Trump kept saying, ‘We’re in a room of liars, the deceitful dishonest media who got it all wrong.’ He addressed everyone in the room calling the media dishonest, deceitful liars. He called out Jeff Zucker by name and said everyone at CNN was a liar, and CNN was [a] network of liars,” the source said.

If anyone in the media thought that Trump winning the election would see an end to him being an egotistical maniac, then I guess they aren't under that illusion anymore.
dog

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #364 on: November 21, 2016, 09:39:53 PM »
Guys, I'm seriously freaking out about Romney being Sec of State. Truth be told, I think it's a pretty smart move and I think Romney has the chance to be a pretty good Sec of State. But here's where I'm freaking out. If my civics lessons serve me right he'd be 3rd in line to power. My wife's Mormon family already deeply entrenched in Armageddon-lust and end of the world conspiracy theories will be insufferable saying that god's setting up a way for a mormon president since the people were too evil to elect him.  4 years of that constant drumbeat. It's going to drive me crazy.

You're wrong but in a hilarious way.

The order would be:
Donald Trump
Mike Pence
Paul Ryan
Orrin Hatch
Secretary of State
Treasury
Defense
AG
All other cabinet positions.
Well, honestly most mormons outside of Utah don't like Hatch, he's not as charismatic as Romney (I know, imagine not clearing that low bar) so that means instead of hearing about Armageddon fantasies about the President and VP being gone and Romney saving the day it just means I have to hear fantasies about the Pres/VP/Ryan/Hatch being gone in some divine incident. Mark my words. I wont matter. Romney anywhere close to the white House is going to turn into a Mormon prepper's wet dream.
que

bluemax

« Reply #365 on: November 21, 2016, 11:59:38 PM »
More people showed up to a Brony convention than this white nationalist thing but you didn't see that making the news!

People worried about Trump controlling the media as president when he already seems firmly in control of it.
NO

zepblackstar

« Reply #366 on: November 22, 2016, 12:01:22 AM »
and the nazi group is going to get more members because of the attention when it wasn't fucking newsworthy.

« Reply #367 on: November 22, 2016, 12:04:44 AM »
Uh, it's entirely newsworthy when the guy who coined "alt right" is a literal Nazi and they are giving a Roman salute while saying "Hail Trump" in a federal building in DC. You don't just ignore this stuff and hope it goes away. Good Germans tried that and it didn't work. In America we fight Nazis.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #368 on: November 22, 2016, 12:07:07 AM »
Uh, it's entirely newsworthy when the guy who coined "alt right" is a literal Nazi and they are giving a Roman salute while saying "Hail Trump" in a federal building in DC. You don't just ignore this stuff and hope it goes away. Good Germans tried that and it didn't work. In America we fight Nazis.

Fucking A, we do.

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #369 on: November 22, 2016, 01:35:16 AM »
Trump gets attention with the dumb tweets every single time

if at any day there's some scandal, there will probably also be some dumb fucking tweet

nothing gets me more heated than the idea that Trump is some kind of mastermind... fuck outta here with that shit :doge

YMMV

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #370 on: November 22, 2016, 02:28:55 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #371 on: November 22, 2016, 02:40:05 AM »
Uh, it's entirely newsworthy when the guy who coined "alt right"
IIRC, he stole the idea and basic outline from two writer underlings when he was the editor of Taki's Mag and then used it to name his new site when even Taki's Mag thought he might be a little too white nationalist for them.

The funny part to me was how Spencer and these others were originally hooked by European movements like the Identitarians and Balkan movements that they'd probably write out of the white race to begin with.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #372 on: November 22, 2016, 02:40:19 AM »
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN13G1KH?il=0

So some clear policy intents :
- Backing off from the TPP (and most certainly letting the European equivalent, TTIP, dead for the next four years).
- Chasing abuses of work visas.
- Drill baby drill.

Japan is already worried and China, despite not being in the TPP & getting to push its own trade deal in Asia & Australia, is not too pleased either.

Also he thinks Farage would be a great UK ambassador to the US. UK government said there was no vacancy.
ὕβρις

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #373 on: November 22, 2016, 07:28:12 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

In five years, when we reflect on the laziest and least productive "civil war" of all time, many will harken back to these graphs and giggle. Go back to beating people with cains in the Senate, libs, it works better for you.

Oh yeah and why where you dems going all Thailand on a Republican at that time? Because you wanted to keep slavery. Remember that next time you ask why I ain't with your fuckboi party.

http://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/minute/The_Caning_of_Senator_Charles_Sumner.htm
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 07:33:29 AM by Am_I_Anonymous »
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #374 on: November 22, 2016, 10:20:56 AM »
Let's see....Nine pages of crying and judgements and accusations of nazi America and you're telling me to calm down? Please son.
YMMV

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #375 on: November 22, 2016, 10:57:30 AM »
You're fucking pathetic
püp

« Reply #376 on: November 22, 2016, 11:00:59 AM »
AIA holds Democrats to the flame for supporting slavery but acts the Southern Strategy never happened.

Himu

« Reply #377 on: November 22, 2016, 11:58:17 AM »
This nicca lost his damn mind. Using actual talking points white supremacists use against black people. :dead

Defending a party that has does sieg hails in public now, doesn't want you to vote, record amount of voter supression in half a century, appoints white supremacists to its staff. You can't fool me, I see you rationalizing your support of the party in light of all this news.

Come thanksgiving and politics talk comes up, AIA's family gonna legit kill this fool and we will never hear from him again. No black person with a lick of sense is going to take any of this concern as whining. We've been through worse as a people but that doesn't mean the pressent is not a worrying time.

Imagine wanting to be comforted by today's society and your dad votes republican and he's black. Who do you go to guidance for spiritual, mental counsel when your father co-signs the subjugation?
IYKYK

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #378 on: November 22, 2016, 12:05:05 PM »
que

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #379 on: November 22, 2016, 12:16:04 PM »
Funny though to see liberals freaking out about how Trump leaving the TPP is a sign of economic doom. I'm like "Guys, not doing the TPP was a liberal thing."
que

Himu

« Reply #380 on: November 22, 2016, 12:18:13 PM »
Do they read news?
IYKYK

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #381 on: November 22, 2016, 12:21:20 PM »
Even if they did, I could forgive them for overlooking the TPP stuff with all the crazy shit going on in the country, to be perfectly honest.
que

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #382 on: November 22, 2016, 01:44:45 PM »
This nicca lost his damn mind. Using actual talking points white supremacists use against black people. :dead

Defending a party that has does sieg hails in public now, doesn't want you to vote, record amount of voter supression in half a century, appoints white supremacists to its staff. You can't fool me, I see you rationalizing your support of the party in light of all this news.

Come thanksgiving and politics talk comes up, AIA's family gonna legit kill this fool and we will never hear from him again. No black person with a lick of sense is going to take any of this concern as whining. We've been through worse as a people but that doesn't mean the pressent is not a worrying time.

Imagine wanting to be comforted by today's society and your dad votes republican and he's black. Who do you go to guidance for spiritual, mental counsel when your father co-signs the subjugation?

All of my children will have a better education, life, and career path then you ever did. I'd also advise keeping what's mine out of your mouth.

Don't ever bring a man's kids into your fucko ideal of politics.
YMMV

Himu

« Reply #383 on: November 22, 2016, 02:46:51 PM »
Okay.
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #384 on: November 22, 2016, 03:48:31 PM »
AiA...

https://twitter.com/jimtankersley/status/801079245091049472

Democrats, the party of the employed
:rejoice

benjipwns

« Reply #385 on: November 22, 2016, 03:49:18 PM »
now here's the AiA we were missing

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #386 on: November 22, 2016, 03:52:46 PM »
AiA...

No wonder liberals care so much about wealth disparity. They are living in counties where it's most apparent.

Syph

« Reply #387 on: November 22, 2016, 04:05:30 PM »
I'd post excerpts but really the whole article is well-written.

Media Stars Agree to Off-the-Record Meeting With Trump, Break Agreement, Whine About Mistreatment

(it's by Glenn Greenwald, known among other things as being the guy that published the Snowden leaks)
XO

Himu

« Reply #388 on: November 22, 2016, 04:06:28 PM »
AiA...

No wonder liberals care so much about wealth disparity. They are living in counties where it's most apparent.

This is very true. I can tell you some real stories. When you live in the city, you see people who are making it really, really well and you also see people who are working 12 hour work days on minimum wage and the state refuses to up the minimum wage to at least 10 dollars per hour while it sits at the national minimum. Living in a very capitalist city like Houston exposes you to it even more.
IYKYK

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #389 on: November 22, 2016, 04:24:11 PM »
In five years, when we reflect on the laziest and least productive "civil war" of all time, many will harken back to these graphs and giggle. Go back to beating people with cains in the Senate, libs, it works better for you.

Oh yeah and why where you dems going all Thailand on a Republican at that time? Because you wanted to keep slavery. Remember that next time you ask why I ain't with your fuckboi party.

http://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/minute/The_Caning_of_Senator_Charles_Sumner.htm

Optimus

• Lieutenant colonel, 26th Hate Machine battalion
« Reply #390 on: November 22, 2016, 05:34:36 PM »
AiA...

It depends. If you're talking about progressive liberals then yeah they care, if you're talking about rich Hollywood and corporate media liberals that had taken over the narrative before Bernie appeared they certainly don't. That's why they were spamming identity politics bullshit for years, to distract liberals from the actual problems in this country and promote fully controlled by their ilk crooks like Hillary using identity politics as the main defining difference between her and the other neoliberal party.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 05:39:08 PM by Optimus »

Himu

« Reply #391 on: November 22, 2016, 05:42:47 PM »
AiA...

It depends. If you're talking about progressive liberals then yeah they care, if you're talking about rich Hollywood and corporate media liberals that had taken over the narrative before Bernie appeared they certainly don't. That's why they were spamming identity politics bullshit for years, to distract liberals from the actual problems in this country and promote fully controlled by their ilk crooks like Hillary using identity politics as the main defining difference between her and the other neoliberal party.

Your post is such an awful reductionism. Democratic party shift away from workers rights has existed since the 70's and it wasn't to "distract" liberals from the "actual" problems in this country. Who are you to decide what the actual problems of this country are?

You aren't wrong that a certain segment of the party are corporate apologists, but your diagnosis as to why is very crude and lacking in nuance.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/10/how-democrats-killed-their-populist-soul/504710/
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/10/democrats-working-class-americans-us-election
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 05:48:06 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #392 on: November 22, 2016, 05:45:35 PM »

All of my children will have a better education, life, and career path then you ever did. I'd also advise keeping what's mine out of your mouth.

Don't ever bring a man's kids into your fucko ideal of politics.

I take issue into this considering you have no idea the struggles our friend QoS has had to endure.  So just like you don't want him to bring up your kids, do not dare to assume you know anything about her.
püp

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #393 on: November 22, 2016, 05:51:22 PM »
Trump latest interview with the New York Times  :larry
ὕβρις

Optimus

« Reply #394 on: November 22, 2016, 05:58:07 PM »
AiA...

Your post is such an awful reductionism. Democratic party shift away from workers rights has existed since the 70's and it wasn't to "distract" liberals from the "actual" problems in this country. Who are you to decide what the actual problems of this country are?

You aren't wrong that a certain segment of the party are corporate apologists, but your diagnosis as to why is college freshmen political science 101 reasoning.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/10/how-democrats-killed-their-populist-soul/504710/
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/10/democrats-working-class-americans-us-election

Democrats first shifted to the hard right with that slimy piece of shit Bill Clinton, I know all that, what I'm saying was that there was a conscious effort by rich liberals to steer the frustration of the middle class using identity politics as their main tool. As we now know that effort majorly backfired creating the alt-right movement that is now governing the country. Because let me make this clear, there is absolutely no doubt to anyone paying attention to the internet the last few years that it was these fucking assholes and the gullible idiots that were brainwashed by them are the ones responsible for creating the alt-right movement. Them and the anger created by the marginalization of the middle class which I also blame the Democrats for, partly of course.

zepblackstar

« Reply #395 on: November 22, 2016, 06:05:38 PM »

Himu

« Reply #396 on: November 22, 2016, 06:37:58 PM »
AiA...

You aren't wrong that a certain segment of the party are corporate apologists, but your diagnosis as to why is college freshmen political science 101 reasoning.

Democrats first shifted to the hard right with that slimy piece of shit Bill Clinton, I know all that, what I'm saying was that there was a conscious effort by rich liberals to steer the frustration of the middle class using identity politics as their main tool. As we now know that effort majorly backfired creating the alt-right movement that is now governing the country. Because let me make this clear, there is absolutely no doubt to anyone paying attention to the internet the last few years that it was these fucking assholes and the gullible idiots that were brainwashed by them are the ones responsible for creating the alt-right movement. Them and the anger created by the marginalization of the middle class which I also blame the Democrats for, partly of course.

Not saying you're wrong about the shift towards the right. I've been saying that for years. I do however take issue with dismissing "identity" issues as not important or as a distraction from the "actual" problems. It's such a common smart dumb brogressive taking point that dismisses the reality that the most common indicator of economic disparity is race. This is without mentioning the fact that many issues Democrats "distract" from are very much central to the discussion, considering Republican tendency to try to silence those very voices by way of voter repression. Any time someone argues the real problem with the Democrats is that they focus on the "wrong" issues and not on the working class it's hard to take them seriously considering these two issues historical intersectionality.
IYKYK

Optimus

« Reply #397 on: November 22, 2016, 07:03:11 PM »
Not saying you're wrong about the shift towards the right. I've been saying that for years. I do however take issue with dismissing "identity" issues as not important or as a distraction from the "actual" problems. It's such a common smart dumb brogressive taking point that dismisses the reality that the most common indicator of economic disparity is race. This is without mentioning the fact that many issues Democrats "distract" from are very much central to the discussion, considering Republican tendency to try to silence those very voices by way of voter repression. Any time someone argues the real problem with the Democrats is that they focus on the "wrong" issues and not on the working class it's hard to take them seriously considering these two issues historical intersectionality.

Identity issues have always been resolved throughout history by creating an educated, equal and stable society. Of course talking about those issues isn't counterproductive, on the contrary. But allowing the hysterical identity politics liberals and gender studies feminists circus to shout accusations at anyone resisting change or disagreeing with them not only cultivates a toxic environment that kills any discussion but also creates enemies that will be impossible to convince anymore. The "brogressive" shit btw is part of that moronic mentality.

And for the record, race isn't the biggest indicator of wealth inequality, the main indicator is the economic backround of your parents. Many black people are poor because they were born into poverty just like many white people but for obvious reasons that has affected blacks more. Once again economic policy is mainly responsible, and guess who's also at fault for the extremely low social mobility in this country, it's the same hypocrites who start caring about the black community every time the elections come up. It's the hypocrisy that makes me furious with Democrats and many liberals, at least rightwingers don't pretend to care about the people they're screwing.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #398 on: November 22, 2016, 07:11:34 PM »
there was a conscious effort by rich liberals to steer the frustration of the middle class using identity politics as their main tool.

please elaborate

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #399 on: November 22, 2016, 07:14:09 PM »
I'm pretty sure the biggest indicator of wealth disparity is those who like Pacific Rim vs those who don't. Those who don't are overwhelmingly poor.

Optimus

« Reply #400 on: November 22, 2016, 07:25:44 PM »
there was a conscious effort by rich liberals to steer the frustration of the middle class using identity politics as their main tool.

please elaborate

In case you haven't noticed there has been an organized effort right after the economic meltdown and OWS happened from both corporate media and Hollywood to spam the population with identity politics bullshit and drama. Some would say it's a divide and conquer distraction tactic. These people would be right.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #401 on: November 22, 2016, 07:38:38 PM »
I'm pretty sure the biggest indicator of wealth disparity is those who like Pacific Rim vs those who don't. Those who don't are overwhelmingly poor.

You're conflating financial poverty with spiritual poverty.

Nola

« Reply #402 on: November 22, 2016, 08:19:15 PM »

please elaborate

In case you haven't noticed there has been an organized effort right after the economic meltdown and OWS happened from both corporate media and Hollywood to spam the population with identity politics bullshit and drama. Some would say it's a divide and conquer distraction tactic. These people would be right.

Organized? By rich liberal elites? And that was the primary mechanism that created the alt right? This sort of reminds me of that GAF post from some Gaffer that tried to blame gamergate for Trump.

I am not saying you are wrong without hearing you elaborate further but this seems a bit of an over-simlification and I am not even sure that simplification is well founded?

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #403 on: November 22, 2016, 08:23:11 PM »

please elaborate

Me thinks you give the democratic party too much credit.
que

Nola

« Reply #404 on: November 22, 2016, 08:30:54 PM »

please elaborate

Haha this too.

Sometimes I have to remind myself how incompetent the Democratic party can be and often is these days.

Saying messaging and strategizing on a broad scale to achieve their agenda is not this organization's strong suit would be an insult to incompetent organizations.

Optimus

« Reply #405 on: November 22, 2016, 08:51:45 PM »

please elaborate

Organized? By rich liberal elites? And that was the primary mechanism that created the alt right? This sort of reminds me of that GAF post from some Gaffer that tried to blame gamergate for Trump.

I am not saying you are wrong without hearing you elaborate further but this seems a bit of an over-simlification and I am not even sure that simplification is well founded?

Yes, organized. They started spamming this shit right after they realized that people are fucking pissed off. And you might doubt that they did it for that reason or that it was organized but you can't doubt that this divisive bullshit and the groups that follow it like religion are what birthed the alt-right movement, we saw it happen on the internet real time and many of us have been warning the identity politics circus that there's going to be an ugly backlash for a long time now. You can't have a struggling, dying middle class that is getting progressively angrier and to make things much, much worse a bunch of stupid brats accusing a very large part of it of being "privileged", people are gonna react very badly. Be thankful Trump isn't a legit charismatic fascist, things could have been much worse.

I'm not talking about the democratic party, I'm talking about the people who own it.

Syph

« Reply #406 on: November 22, 2016, 09:15:49 PM »
so today on CNN some guy said the N-word in a quote about Bannon.....except it was really supposed to be attributed to Sessions...
and to add to the circus, Brooke Baldwin, aka the anchor, teared up, but seemingly not because of the actual quote, but because it was said live on her show...yeesh
XO

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #407 on: November 22, 2016, 09:18:09 PM »
I'm not talking about the democratic party, I'm talking about the people who own it.

Optimus

« Reply #408 on: November 22, 2016, 09:20:42 PM »

Are you seriously trying to tell us here that the rich don't own the Democratic party? I mean, seriously?

Nola

« Reply #409 on: November 22, 2016, 09:26:46 PM »

please elaborate

Yes, organized. They started spamming this shit right after they realized that people are fucking pissed off. And you might doubt that they did it for that reason or that it was organized but you can't doubt that this divisive bullshit and the groups that follow it like religion are what birthed the alt-right movement, we saw it happen on the internet real time and many of us have been warning the identity politics circus that there's going to be an ugly backlash for a long time now. You can't have a struggling, dying middle class that is getting progressively angrier and to make things much, much worse a bunch of stupid brats accusing a very large part of it of being "privileged", people are gonna react very badly. Be thankful Trump isn't a legit charismatic fascist, things could have been much worse.

I do not disagree that identity politics and recent internet culture has been a contributing factor to the alt-right(or what we now define as the alt-right), but the primary driver? And rich liberal elites have driven this? I think as GAF overuses, I need to see receipts.

I mean just for instance, the whole identity politics being driven by the rich elite ignores the very real growth of "Privilege Theory" in academia and how that growth in prominence has shaped liberal youth. Maybe you have some citations of liberal elites chasing this strategy but I think it is a bit more nuanced and complex then that.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 09:31:36 PM by Nola »

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #410 on: November 22, 2016, 09:41:36 PM »
Unrelated to the current discussion, but read these sections in a book earlier today. Remind you of someone?

"Law 27: Play on People’s Need to Believe to Create a Cult like Following"

Step 1: Keep It Vague; Keep It Simple. To create a cult you must first attract attention. This you should do not through actions, which are too clear and readable, but through words, which are hazy and deceptive. Your initial speeches, conversations, and interviews must include two elements: on the one hand the promise of something great and transformative, and on the other a total vagueness. This combination will stimulate all kinds of hazy dreams in your listeners, who will make their own connections and see what they want to see.

Step 5: Set Up an Us-Versus-Them Dynamic. The group is now large and thriving, a magnet attracting more and more particles. If you are not careful, though, inertia will set in, and time and boredom will demagnetize the group. To keep your followers united, you must now do what all religions and belief systems have done: create an us-versus-them dynamic. First, make sure your followers believe they are part of an exclusive club, unified by a bond of common goals. Then, to strengthen this bond, manufacture the notion of a devious enemy out to ruin you. There is a force of nonbelievers that will do anything to stop you. Any outsider who tries to reveal the charlatan nature of your belief system can now be described as a member of this devious force. If you have no enemies, invent one. Given a straw man to react against, your followers will tighten and cohere. They have your cause to believe in and infidels to destroy.

There's even a bit about hiding your income (:doge ) in that section.

Though the biggest take-away is a morale story about this:  http://www.k-state.edu/english/baker/english320/Thurber-The_Owl_Who_Was_God.htm

Once upon a starless midnight there was an owl who sat on the branch of an oak tree.  Two ground moles tried to slip quietly by, unnoticed.  "You!" said the owl.  "Who?" they quavered, in fear and astonishment, for they could not believe it was possible for anyone to see them in that thick darkness.  "You two!" said the owl.  The moles hurried away and told the other creatures of the field and forest that the owl was the greatest and wisest of all animals because he could see in the dark and because he could answer any question.  "I’ll see about that, "said a secretary bird, and he called on the owl one night when it was again very dark.  "How many claws am I holding up?" said the secretary bird.  "Two," said the owl, and that was right.  "Can you give me another expression for ‘that is to say’ or ‘namely’?" asked the secretary bird.  "To wit," said the owl.  "Why does the lover call on his love?"  "To woo," said the owl.
The secretary bird hastened back to the other creatures and reported that the owl indeed was the greatest and wisest animal in the world because he could see in the dark and because he could answer any question.  "Can he see in the daytime, too?" asked a red fox?  "Yes," answered a dormouse and a French poodle.  "Can he see in the daytime, too?"  All the other creatures laughed loudly at this silly question, and they set upon the red fox and his friends and drove them out of the region.  They sent a messenger to the owl and asked him to be their leader.

When the owl appeared among the animals it was high noon and the sun was shining brightly.  He walked very slowly, which gave him an appearance of great dignity, and he peered about him with large, staring eyes, which gave him an air of tremendous importance.  "He’s God!" screamed a Plymouth rock hen.  And the others took up the cry "He’s God!"  So they followed him wherever he went and when he bumped into things they began to bump into things, too.  Finally he came to a concrete highway and he started up the middle of it and all the other creatures followed him.  Presently a hawk, who was acting as outrider, observed a truck coming toward them at fifty miles an hour, and he reported to the secretary bird and the secretary bird reported to the owl.  "There’s danger ahead," said the secretary bird.  "To wit?" said the owl.  The secretary bird told him.  "Aren’t you afraid?" he asked.  "Who?" said the owl calmly, for he could not see the truck.  "He’s God!" cried all the creatures again, and they were still crying "He’s God" when the truck hit them and ran them down.  Some of the animals were merely injured, but most of them, including the owl, were killed.

Moral: You can fool too many of the people too much of the time.

:doge :doge :doge :doge

Optimus

« Reply #411 on: November 22, 2016, 10:00:31 PM »
I do not disagree that identity politics and recent internet culture has been a contributing factor to the alt-right(or what we now define as the alt-right), but the primary driver? And rich liberal elites have driven this? I think as GAF overuses, I need to see receipts.

I mean just for instance, the whole identity politics being driven by the rich elite ignores the very real growth of "Privilege Theory" in academia and how that growth in prominence has shaped liberal youth. Maybe you have some citations of liberal elites chasing this strategy but I think it is a bit more nuanced and complex then that.

Intersectionality, critical race theory and other pseudo intellectual post-modernist bullshit have existed in academia for decades. The only thing that changed was that corporate media, and of course I'm including internet media in that list, started actively advertising it and hiring the unhirable idiots that graduated these degrees. The push for it the last 4-5 years has been so overwhelming and obvious that I don't really need more proof of it being shoved down our throats, the motivations behind it though are purely an educated guess. And I call it educated because this isn't the first and won't be the last time the ruling class is using identity politics to divide and distract the middle class, it's a historical fact that they're doing it especially in times of crisis.

benjipwns

« Reply #412 on: November 22, 2016, 10:07:12 PM »
(it's by Glenn Greenwald, known among other things as being the guy that published the Snowden leaks)
And a KGB agent.

zepblackstar

benjipwns

« Reply #414 on: November 22, 2016, 10:38:50 PM »
So much for the Cuban/Kokesh 2020 Democratic ticket.

bluemax

« Reply #415 on: November 23, 2016, 12:28:09 AM »

Are you seriously trying to tell us here that the rich don't own the Democratic party? I mean, seriously?

Rich people own every party except the ones involving Andrew WK.
NO

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #416 on: November 23, 2016, 12:40:49 AM »
I like this theory that the most powerful elements of society are secretly fomenting discontent towards cishet white guys. It has a certain je ne sais quoi.

bluemax

« Reply #417 on: November 23, 2016, 01:14:33 AM »
You like The World Ends With You? You're clearly an alt-right scumbag:

https://twitter.com/Teridax/status/800887311026311168
NO

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #418 on: November 23, 2016, 01:19:19 AM »
Is that Adam guy anyone important or am I missing something generally? Cause I never heard of him and his screencapped tweets have no likes.

benjipwns

« Reply #419 on: November 23, 2016, 01:51:34 AM »
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/11/activists-urge-hillary-clinton-to-challenge-election-results.html
Hillary Clinton is being urged by a group of prominent computer scientists and election lawyers to call for a recount in three swing states won by Donald Trump, New York has learned. The group, which includes voting-rights attorney John Bonifaz and J. Alex Halderman, the director of the University of Michigan Center for Computer Security and Society, believes they’ve found persuasive evidence that results in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania may have been manipulated or hacked. The group is so far not speaking on the record about their findings and is focused on lobbying the Clinton team in private.

Last Thursday, the activists held a conference call with Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta and campaign general counsel Marc Elias to make their case, according to a source briefed on the call. The academics presented findings showing that in Wisconsin, Clinton received 7 percent fewer votes in counties that relied on electronic-voting machines compared with counties that used optical scanners and paper ballots. Based on this statistical analysis, Clinton may have been denied as many as 30,000 votes; she lost Wisconsin by 27,000. While it’s important to note the group has not found proof of hacking or manipulation, they are arguing to the campaign that the suspicious pattern merits an independent review — especially in light of the fact that the Obama White House has accused the Russian government of hacking the Democratic National Committee.