Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5452608 times)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| CNN OPPO DROPPO
« Reply #7260 on: July 06, 2017, 06:01:36 PM »
Oh for sure, presenting it as a one-way, matter of fact causality is dumb. No denying that.

But really the original quote implied ("to confuse the relationship between two of the essential forces in the economy.") the exact same kind of simplistic causality and with the same aplomb.
ὕβρις

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #7262 on: July 06, 2017, 09:10:38 PM »
have to disagree, scene would have been much better written

« Reply #7263 on: July 07, 2017, 03:21:52 PM »

just end my life bros.

Nola

« Reply #7264 on: July 07, 2017, 03:33:46 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

just end my life bros.

Blatant or naive is not even something I can distinguish any more

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7265 on: July 07, 2017, 04:04:23 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7266 on: July 07, 2017, 04:48:13 PM »
lol big picture in wrong thread oppo opps

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7267 on: July 07, 2017, 06:11:42 PM »
So the ACA repeal seems to be bogging down a bit.

Things could change, of course, but I'll take the good news where I can.

Nola

« Reply #7268 on: July 07, 2017, 06:41:23 PM »

Not that Republicans have let reality get in the way before, but, Trump's own people quietly released a report that their own assessment is that the ACA markets are relatively stable and not in the death spiral Trump and Republicans have pushed:

President Trump and other Republicans have said repeatedly that one reason they have to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act is that the law is failing: Healthy people are abandoning the insurance marketplaces set up by the law, driving up costs and leading yet more people to drop insurance — a so-called “death spiral.” Many health insurance experts, however, have argued that those fears are overblown, and they recently got support from an unlikely source: the Trump administration itself.

The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, which is part of the Department of Health and Human Services, last week released a report about a wonky aspect of the Affordable Care Act related to insurance payments. Tucked away in the report, however, was evidence that the health insurance marketplaces set up by Obamacare were relatively stable in 2016. Contrary to the “death-spiral” narrative, the CMS report found that the mix of healthy and sick people buying insurance on the Obamacare marketplaces in 2016 was surprisingly similar to those who enrolled in 2015.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-trump-administrations-own-data-says-obamacare-isnt-imploding/

I mean the CBO said the same thing, which is also headed by a Republican appointee, so its not like I actually expect them to act responsibly with findings like this. Just find the farce fascinating.

benjipwns

« Reply #7269 on: July 07, 2017, 08:00:57 PM »
I don't know if I'd use the phrase "Trump's own people" as that gives the impression that his appointees are involved in, or even aware of, regular reports created by the career civil service bureaucracy.

Nola

« Reply #7270 on: July 07, 2017, 08:27:29 PM »
I don't know if I'd use the phrase "Trump's own people" as that gives the impression that his appointees are involved in, or even aware of, regular reports created by the career civil service bureaucracy.
Fair point, the baseline of expected competency or awareness probably should be kept to a minimum.

And really Seema Verma or Tom Price could come out tomorrow with more rants about "collapsing Obamacare" and never pay any political price because the outlets that would cover it for Trump voters would never mention the contradiction. Or bother to clarify the record.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 08:32:21 PM by Nola »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7271 on: July 07, 2017, 11:26:39 PM »

Not that Republicans have let reality get in the way before, but, Trump's own people quietly released a report that their own assessment is that the ACA markets are relatively stable and not in the death spiral Trump and Republicans have pushed:

President Trump and other Republicans have said repeatedly that one reason they have to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act is that the law is failing: Healthy people are abandoning the insurance marketplaces set up by the law, driving up costs and leading yet more people to drop insurance — a so-called “death spiral.” Many health insurance experts, however, have argued that those fears are overblown, and they recently got support from an unlikely source: the Trump administration itself.

The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, which is part of the Department of Health and Human Services, last week released a report about a wonky aspect of the Affordable Care Act related to insurance payments. Tucked away in the report, however, was evidence that the health insurance marketplaces set up by Obamacare were relatively stable in 2016. Contrary to the “death-spiral” narrative, the CMS report found that the mix of healthy and sick people buying insurance on the Obamacare marketplaces in 2016 was surprisingly similar to those who enrolled in 2015.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-trump-administrations-own-data-says-obamacare-isnt-imploding/

I mean the CBO said the same thing, which is also headed by a Republican appointee, so its not like I actually expect them to act responsibly with findings like this. Just find the farce fascinating.

lmao what a distaster

The GOP, and more recently Trump, have done everything they can to knock out the support pillars of Obamacare and then point at it's shaky structure as the reason to kill it off, except that it's still actually not in danger of collapsing. :neogaf
dog

Nola

« Reply #7272 on: July 09, 2017, 01:44:17 PM »
i like how trump vows to constructively work with russia but not with

i don't know

ANYONE ELSE

And on cyber security....on the tails of our intelligence agencies pointing to Russia having infiltrated aspects of our energy infrastructure.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7273 on: July 09, 2017, 02:36:04 PM »
Keeps your friends close and your enemies closer.  :rollsafe

Chapter 4: Art of the Deal.
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #7274 on: July 09, 2017, 02:49:57 PM »
Impenetrable cyber :lawd
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #7275 on: July 09, 2017, 03:14:21 PM »
Economy continues to improve, stock market improving, thanks Obama etc etc. The contrast between liberal freak outs/protests and much (admittedly not most) of the country looking around and declaring that everything seems normal...is stark, and benefits Trump. People freak out more when things are going bad or there's a crash.

Back when I thought Hillary would inevitably win, one of my fears was that a crash would inevitably occur on her watch. Market bubble continues to increase (again), China's debt problem, student loans....I figured something was gonna give, and the ruling party would be fucked by association just as republicans were in the 08 crash. I thought such a crash would be even worse given that Hillary would have to deal with a republican House. But man, the thought of a crash under Trump is even worse. I was not a fan of Rubio/Bush/etc but at the very least I'd have some level of confidence in their reaction to such a crash.

Hell, the thought of a major flood or hurricane under this idiot's watch makes me want to drink.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7276 on: July 09, 2017, 03:57:33 PM »
Putting aside Trump's racism, dishonesty, and general skeeviness, his incompetence is pretty amazing.

It's like a big test case of how strong the federal government is as an institution.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7277 on: July 09, 2017, 05:14:32 PM »
Much of the country think things are fine?  I guess...polling seems to indicate most people fucking distrust him.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 05:33:22 PM by BrandNew »
püp

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #7278 on: July 09, 2017, 05:22:19 PM »
So apparently Kushner, Manafort, and Trump Jr met a Kremlin connected Russian attorney on Jun 9 at Trump tower last year who promised them damaging info on Hillary.

However, thanks to our Conversation Driver™ Etoilet, we all know the real scandals are the DNC orchestrated murder of Seth Rich and CNN's attempt to dox HanassholeSolo.
yar

benjipwns

« Reply #7279 on: July 09, 2017, 06:25:08 PM »
So apparently Kushner, Manafort, and Trump Jr met a Kremlin connected Russian attorney on Jun 9 at Trump tower last year who promised them damaging info on Hillary.

However, thanks to our Conversation Driver™ Etoilet, we all know the real scandals are the DNC orchestrated murder of Seth Rich and CNN's attempt to dox HanassholeSolo.
The real story here is why were the Democrats behind this meeting?
White House Chief of Staff Reince Priebus has accused Democratic operatives of arranging a meeting between Donald Trump Jr. and a Kremlin-linked lawyer last summer, two weeks after Donald Trump won the Republican nomination for president.

On Sunday, Priebus said “the individual that set up the meeting may have been” associated with Fusion GPS, the Washington, D.C.-based strategy firm behind a leaked intelligence dossier that suggested Russian officials possess materials that could be used to blackmail President Trump. Trump’s Republican rivals in the primary funded the opposition research at first, but it was later continued with backing from the Democrats.

“There’s more questions on the Democrat side than anywhere else,” Priebus said on “Fox News Sunday.”

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7280 on: July 09, 2017, 06:30:28 PM »
:neogaf
püp

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #7281 on: July 09, 2017, 06:31:31 PM »
So Trump was right- Podesta's name WAS on everyone's lips at the G20

:ohhh
yar

Nola

« Reply #7282 on: July 09, 2017, 07:30:21 PM »
It's really frustrating how dumb this pos is.

I think it's more frustrating that he has a gigantic fanbase that roots for him.

Not even exaggerating, it really is hard to distinguish it from a cult at this point.

Just look at how the whole Trump Jr. thing is already playing out. Its like second nature at this point for his supporters to respond to anything that appears negative or incriminating by remolding their views to try and rationalize the actions. "Why shouldn't we commit to a joint cyber terrorism venture?" "See, the DNC and the swamp were just trying to undermine Trump by setting up this meeting, even if they did do this, who cares? Everyone does it! Trump just has to play the game because the swamp is so toxic and the liberals play even dirtier!"

And it all makes sense when you operate on the premise that the people acting this way are just expressing a religious like faith in a cult of personality figure.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #7283 on: July 09, 2017, 07:54:45 PM »
https://twitter.com/hasavrat/status/883650144247349248

:-\

Trump looks like he'd gladly take it straight up the keister from Bad-Boy Vlad.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #7284 on: July 09, 2017, 08:04:59 PM »
Oh, shit. I was fished in.   :'(

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #7285 on: July 09, 2017, 08:44:21 PM »
I don't think you're alone in making that connection, but I do think Trump's base is neither organized nor influential enough to constitute an overturning of American politics. It's bad, sure. But it's not like he's managed to promote his agenda. He's managed to damage America's position on the world stage, he's effectively taken a shit on the American Presidency as a… well, for lack of a better word, brand.

However everything he's tried to do has been stopped short, usually because It's Fucking Illegal. Further, the SHENANIGANS the Republicans have tried to pull while Trump has provided a distraction, have also largely failed.

Lastly, I've never in my lifetime seen Americans more engaged in politics than right now. There are a lot of people who are up in arms, and there's a gradual ablative process where Trump's supporters are falling away from him, realizing the error of thinking a billionaire narcissist would have their best interests at heart. Sadly, the remaining portion of his cronies seem to be doubling down.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7286 on: July 09, 2017, 11:11:06 PM »
"Charisma":Politician::"Intangibles":Athlete

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #7287 on: July 10, 2017, 01:09:34 AM »
That analogy seems awfully weak after the 2016 election

El Babua

« Reply #7288 on: July 10, 2017, 01:50:57 AM »
Trump plays the game the right way :hitler

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #7289 on: July 10, 2017, 02:35:55 AM »
Here's a interesting possibility
https://twitter.com/funder/status/884160558538293249
I don't think I've seen anybody more well aware of goings on than I question or undermine Dworkin that much. Do you think if this proves true it'll be the magic bullet that finally turns Fox and the GOP against Donny Two Scoops?
Hi

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7290 on: July 10, 2017, 12:50:36 PM »
Curious how the meddling even worked in the GOP primary given the voter demographics that were on display.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #7291 on: July 10, 2017, 12:59:47 PM »
Curious how the meddling even worked in the GOP primary given the voter demographics that were on display.

I think a lot of it was probably just giving Trump a bigger megaphone- fake twitter followers, etc.
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #7292 on: July 10, 2017, 01:52:17 PM »
Let me post the Etoilet Conversation Driver™ news for the day so he doesn't have to:

"There's no way to know why Trump Jr, Manafort, and Kushner met with that lawyer with alleged Kremlin ties... but the clear scandal today is Comey leaking classified info to the press."
yar

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7293 on: July 10, 2017, 01:59:39 PM »
Let me post the Etoilet Conversation Driver™ news for the day so he doesn't have to:

"There's no way to know why Trump Jr, Manafort, and Kushner met with that lawyer with alleged Kremlin ties... but the clear scandal today is Comey leaking classified info to the press."

thank you human snorenado for reminding me how beneath me y'all are so I don't waste my time treating you like salvageable goods
dog

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #7294 on: July 10, 2017, 02:00:30 PM »
If I can do nothing else, I can do that.
yar

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #7295 on: July 10, 2017, 05:25:31 PM »
https://twitter.com/Jordanfabian/status/884487976574648320

"It's nice to have a couple of spare sons.":trumps
©@©™

Nola

« Reply #7296 on: July 10, 2017, 05:37:06 PM »
In a normal world, you either just admitted you are one of the most incompetent people to ever run a campaign for high office, or, you will be roundly labeled a liar by the vast majority of the public and forced to eventually come clean or face an even sterner reprimand by the voting public.

spoiler (click to show/hide)

...He's probably good.

[close]

studyguy

« Reply #7297 on: July 10, 2017, 05:48:15 PM »
I always wonder what he's gonna do when he's out of office.
Like dude found his gravy train, he's probably gonna ride it to his deathbed shitting on past, present and future presidents till he croaks.
pause

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7298 on: July 10, 2017, 06:33:45 PM »
That analogy seems awfully weak after the 2016 election
Nah, 2016's a big point in favor of it.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #7299 on: July 10, 2017, 06:51:09 PM »
If you're calling Donald Trump the Derek Jeter of politics... I'm ok with it.
yar

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7300 on: July 10, 2017, 06:55:51 PM »
I mean, there's probably stuff that you could call "charisma" some kind of effect, but the way pundits and journalists throw it around is pretty meaningless.

Like it would be really interesting to see how many stories from 2012 and 2013 referred to Marco Rubio as having charisma vs. Bernie Sanders.

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #7301 on: July 10, 2017, 07:03:21 PM »
Sports nerds think everything can be turned into sabermetrics

Charisma is obviously a slippery quality to nail down, but it's also essential to a good politician. You just gotta learn to live with the ambiguity :trumps

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #7302 on: July 10, 2017, 07:04:40 PM »
Ehhhh, I think it's hard to deny he must have some amount of "charm" or something to that effect ("larger than life" or something) no matter how sleazy. Some guest on Lovett or Leave It latest podcast -not exactly impartial to say the least- (a NY comedian who worked gig in his hotels and casinos and met him in a couple of parties I believe) admitted as much.

Probably not why he got elected, though being credible as an outsider "who tells it like it is" certainly helped aroused some of his base.
ὕβρις

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7303 on: July 10, 2017, 07:24:39 PM »
The reason I say 2016's a point in favor is Trump got fewer votes and won by swinging some pretty specific demographics, which seems to fit a lot better with Wrath's "Say the right things to the right people who want to believe" formulation.

Plus I remember when everyone thought Howard Dean had the magic sauce.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7305 on: July 10, 2017, 09:20:00 PM »

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #7306 on: July 10, 2017, 09:24:56 PM »
Yep. Looks like Seth Rich was murdered by the DNC
vin

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7307 on: July 10, 2017, 09:31:35 PM »
"This lady has some dirt on Hillary. Oh yeah, and it's part of a Russian plan to help your dad."

WHY WOULD YOU GO TO THAT MEETING? AND BRING THE CAMPAIGN MANAGER?

...WHY WOULD THE CAMPAIGN MANAGER COME ALONG?

etiolate

« Reply #7308 on: July 10, 2017, 09:37:20 PM »
You should read the article. Opening paragraph makes a claim that the rest of the article does not back up and instead makes it seem like Hilary had rich Russian connections donating to her through some unethical way, but the source claiming such couldn't back it up.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #7309 on: July 10, 2017, 09:37:22 PM »
"This lady has some dirt on Hillary. Oh yeah, and it's part of a Russian plan to help your dad."

WHY WOULD YOU GO TO THAT MEETING? AND BRING THE CAMPAIGN MANAGER?

...WHY WOULD THE CAMPAIGN MANAGER COME ALONG?

Maybe because none of them know what the fuck they're doing? Which is what America has resoundingly stated that they want from their leaders.
©@©™

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7310 on: July 10, 2017, 09:44:54 PM »
You should read the article. Opening paragraph makes a claim that the rest of the article does not back up
I did read it and you're wrong.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #7311 on: July 10, 2017, 09:52:32 PM »
http://thehill.com/homenews/news/341305-poll-most-republicans-say-colleges-have-negative-impact-on-us

Remember, most republicans would prefer that you have as little education as possible.

etiolate

« Reply #7312 on: July 10, 2017, 10:09:25 PM »
You should read the article. Opening paragraph makes a claim that the rest of the article does not back up
I did read it and you're wrong.

Really? Cuz everyone who actually speaks on record in that doesn't back up that claim. What three sources saw this email? Like the article meanders into dirt on Hilary. Every time it gets someone on record they say the claim is not true. It gets caught up with a Russian lawyer and the only thing that reveals is she and Trump Jr disagree on what was discussed, but not that she works for Putin.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #7313 on: July 10, 2017, 10:15:31 PM »
Meanwhile, I'm sure Mike Pence holding private donor dinners at his taxpayer funded residence is relieving a lot of economic anxiety in the heartland.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/mike-pence-courting-big-donors-at-private-dinners-at-vp-residence-report/article/2628119

Also, lol @ etoilet. Stfu, you useless goddamn cunt.
yar

Steve Contra

« Reply #7314 on: July 10, 2017, 10:19:14 PM »
It's almost like Etiolate won't believe anything unless Kim Dotcom makes a baseless claim about it. :thinking
vin

etiolate

« Reply #7315 on: July 10, 2017, 10:19:54 PM »

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #7316 on: July 10, 2017, 10:21:00 PM »
etoilet resorting to "their sources won't go on the record so it's not true" is surprising

Jk haha it's actually the most predictable shit on the planet

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #7317 on: July 10, 2017, 10:23:45 PM »

"by Tyler Durden
Jul 10, 2017 9:30 PM

Via Disobedient Media

The document supplied to Disobedient Media via Adam Carter was authored by an individual known as The Forensicator. (https://theforensicator.wordpress.com/)"

holy shit etoilet you are hilariously stupid

Steve Contra

« Reply #7318 on: July 10, 2017, 10:26:21 PM »
Etiolate: "Their sources won't go on the record"

Etiolate three posts down: *posts something from the "forensicator"*

« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 10:31:01 PM by Steve Contra »
vin

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7319 on: July 10, 2017, 10:27:17 PM »
Really? Cuz everyone who actually speaks on record in that doesn't back up that claim. What three sources saw this email? Every time it gets someone on record they say the claim is not true.
Oddly, this isn't the level of skepticism I remember you showing when a "federal source" told Fox News about Seth Rich's laptop, though it was contradicted both on and off the record by subsequent reporting from other outlets.