Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5567624 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
What's the worst that could happen? :trumps
©@©™

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊

Mandark

• Icon
Imagine thinking you could "do North Korea & Iran in Year 1," especially once it's already late summer.

I wish I could spend just a week with that level of self-belief. It has to be amazing.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
Part of me think I'd go on a hedonistic rampage, Mr. Hyde style. But I'd actually just play video games extra hard and eat cereal for dinner.

Mandark

• Icon
Sources say Rufus wants to "do Mars Matrix and FTL Hard Mode by Day 1 to build up capital for the rest of the week."

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
He was last seen trash talking teens online, going so far as to tea bag in retaliation.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
QED

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
Hopefully NK can hit the white house with just one. 

bluemax

How would he know if it was a great day at the White House, isn't he out golfing for the 400th time this year?
NO

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| Who you got next in the WH death pool?
« Reply #7872 on: August 01, 2017, 12:20:08 AM »
How would he know if it was a great day at the White House, isn't he out golfing for the 400th time this year?

That's why it was a great day.
©@©™

Nola

« Reply #7873 on: August 01, 2017, 02:39:14 AM »

:dunno

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #7874 on: August 01, 2017, 02:40:00 AM »
A nomination process where the frontrunner can muscle out all major opponents before voting begins by monopolizing donor money and endorsements seems pretty shitty.

Not how it works. Stop. Go read some old Jonathan Bernstein columns or something and come back.

Edit: VomKriege, this would have been another ideal place for you to post your smilie.

Reading a knockoff Jonathan Chait in 2017   :donot

Chait is a blogger. Bernstein is an actual political scientist.

So about the same level as a blogger

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #7875 on: August 01, 2017, 02:57:12 AM »
Bernstein is an actual political scientist.

So about the same level as a blogger
well i never, such ignorance

spoiler (click to show/hide)
people actually read what bloggers write
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #7876 on: August 01, 2017, 03:06:46 AM »
Unless you want to prohibit party members from making endorsements and prohibit donations before a certain point (the first debate maybe?), both of which are probably not legally enforceable, there's not much you can do to address the invisible primary.

If you want to get rid of caucuses and make all primaries open if the Republican party has no incumbent on the ballot, sure, whatever.

This whole discussion always seems to start with the premise that a good nomination process would have led to a Bernie Sanders nomination, ergo the nomination process was flawed because it did not produce a Bernie Sanders nomination, ergo we should identify the things that specifically disadvantaged Sanders in the nomination process and change those things. It's a very, very stupid thought process.
I think the one thing, and the Democrats actually have been looking at changing this, is that endorsements in the Democratic Party affect the delegate counts because they're superdelegates. This generally is not the case in the GOP (which was considering changing this to look more like the Democrats until they won the election) where somebody like W. Bush or Romney's endorsement is just that, nothing more.

This is irrelevant to 2016 because it was only two candidates, but I wouldn't mind if the Democrats started getting rid of the 15% threshold or reducing it. The Republicans shouldn't have a more PR system of distributing their delegates but they do after the RNC's changes to the primaries Super Tuesday and earlier.

If say O'Malley had stayed in the race and kept picking off 5-10% of delegates, 20+% or more in a few states, it would have been undermining the idea that Bernie could ever get close to enough delegates. Especially since they would probably be taking from the same pool of anti-Hillary voters. The GOP split between Rubio, Cruz and Kasich did this and effectively made it impossible for any of those three to actually win. Especially when the calendar switched over to the winner-take-all states that brought up the endgame. (The GOP also does states where it's PR but if you hit 50% + 1 it's mostly WTA.)

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7877 on: August 01, 2017, 03:30:21 AM »
Kasich might be a sneaky #1 among ostensibly anti-Trump Republicans who've actually abetted him.

Was clear so early on that he wasn't going to win and that staying in just fragmented the anti-Trump vote, yet he stayed in forever. Have any of the books about the campaign actually spent significant space on his run? Cause that's the most baffling shit to me.

benjipwns

« Reply #7878 on: August 01, 2017, 03:35:31 AM »
You forget, Kasich had a secret fifty-ninth dimensional chess plan:

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7879 on: August 01, 2017, 03:59:30 AM »
The brokered convention! Also the superdelegates were going to flip to Bernie, and the faithless electors were going to save Hillary.

2016, man.

benjipwns

« Reply #7880 on: August 01, 2017, 04:47:02 AM »
My favorite sly line in that is "the one [of the final three] the establishment didn't think could win" while showing Trump and Cruz.

Which while probably technically accurate as Kasich had been mathematically eliminated at that point if you take what I presume was their "implied meaning" Kasich was arguably the most "establishment" candidate after Jeb! (I'll take his 18 years in Congress and high ranking within the Gingrich Revolution for starters over Rubio's less than five years in the Senate...even if "the establishment" would have preferred Rubio and/or thought him more likely to win.)

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #7881 on: August 01, 2017, 09:03:05 AM »
What's the worst that could happen? :trumps

just one?
It links to a song, in lieu of posting the same image a thousand times.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
That wasn't my intention, but it is now.
[close]

agrajag

« Reply #7882 on: August 01, 2017, 09:49:57 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #7883 on: August 01, 2017, 09:58:35 AM »
http://www.npr.org/2017/08/01/540783715/lawsuit-alleges-fox-news-and-trump-supporter-created-fake-news-story
The Fox News Channel and a wealthy supporter of President Trump worked in concert under the watchful eye of the White House to concoct a story about the murder of a young Democratic National Committee aide, according to a lawsuit filed Tuesday.

The explosive claim is part of the lawsuit filed against Fox News by Rod Wheeler, a longtime paid commentator for the news network.
Wheeler alleges Fox News and the Trump supporter intended to deflect public attention from growing concern about the administration's ties to the Russian government. His suit charges that a Fox News reporter created quotations out of thin air and attributed them to him to propel her story.
"Rod Wheeler unfortunately was used as a pawn by Ed Butowsky, Fox News and the Trump administration to try and steer away the attention that was being given about the Russian hacking of the DNC e-mails," said Douglas Wigdor, Wheeler's lawyer.
A spokeswoman for the FBI tells NPR this week the agency has played no part in the investigation of the unsolved murder. And a spokeswoman for Washington's Metropolitan police department says "MPD stands behind its original assertion that Seth Rich was the victim of a botched armed robbery."

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #7884 on: August 01, 2017, 10:02:20 AM »
So what you're saying is... we're finally getting to the bottom of the Seth Rich murder???
yar

agrajag

« Reply #7885 on: August 01, 2017, 10:02:32 AM »
That's what the deep state wants you to believe, stay woke brehs. (We need an etoilet smiley)

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7886 on: August 01, 2017, 10:35:54 AM »
And yet people on Facebook (I know, lul) commenting on that NPR story are still playing the ol "but, isn't it suspicious????" card.

No, it's fucking not.
püp

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #7887 on: August 01, 2017, 10:46:31 AM »
It's only suspicious if you believe fake news...... which is what the article is mostly about.
©ZH

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #7888 on: August 01, 2017, 11:22:36 AM »
Did Kasich really abet Trump? It seemed like Trump and Cruz were fighting over similar demographics, while Kasich was winning the smaller moderate crowd+"true" conservatives. Kasich staying in also made sense when you consider the various moments the average fringe candidate would have been forced out the race, but Trump managed to survive. Kasich no doubt thought he'd be handed the nomination at some point, and it wasn't a terrible bet.

Tasty

« Reply #7889 on: August 01, 2017, 01:57:46 PM »
How deep does this Seth Rich thing go???

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #7890 on: August 01, 2017, 02:02:45 PM »
Balls deep
©@©™

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #7891 on: August 01, 2017, 02:08:43 PM »
How deep does this Seth Rich thing go???

To the bottom of the bottle of bleach hillary used to acid wash her servers and cell phones.
serge

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #7892 on: August 01, 2017, 03:57:04 PM »
©ZH

etiolate

« Reply #7893 on: August 01, 2017, 05:02:24 PM »
http://www.npr.org/2017/08/01/540783715/lawsuit-alleges-fox-news-and-trump-supporter-created-fake-news-story
The Fox News Channel and a wealthy supporter of President Trump worked in concert under the watchful eye of the White House to concoct a story about the murder of a young Democratic National Committee aide, according to a lawsuit filed Tuesday.

The explosive claim is part of the lawsuit filed against Fox News by Rod Wheeler, a longtime paid commentator for the news network.
Wheeler alleges Fox News and the Trump supporter intended to deflect public attention from growing concern about the administration's ties to the Russian government. His suit charges that a Fox News reporter created quotations out of thin air and attributed them to him to propel her story.
"Rod Wheeler unfortunately was used as a pawn by Ed Butowsky, Fox News and the Trump administration to try and steer away the attention that was being given about the Russian hacking of the DNC e-mails," said Douglas Wigdor, Wheeler's lawyer.
A spokeswoman for the FBI tells NPR this week the agency has played no part in the investigation of the unsolved murder. And a spokeswoman for Washington's Metropolitan police department says "MPD stands behind its original assertion that Seth Rich was the victim of a botched armed robbery."

http://bigleaguepolitics.com/audio-rod-wheeler-explains-fox-news-fiasco-claims-brother-blocked-wikileaks-inquiries/

Wheeler saying that Aaron Rich was stonewalling him and all of his interviews by not allowing any to discuss the DNC job, the computer, Seth's emails or his phone. Story of his contact with Fox News, though it doesn't match what the lawsuit claims. It could just cut off before then though.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1YqKDRanqWVJV

I believe the voice you hear here is Seymour Hersh or Ed Butowsky. Sounds more like Ed. Tells of the FBI, explaining how they came to get a hold of Seth's computer and emails, and finding that Seth had contacted Wikileaks, giving them documents that were samplers of DNC emails, and asking for money/passport.

The actual lawsuit: https://www.scribd.com/document/355266200/Rod-Wheeler-Lawsuit

Page 14 & 15 of Lawsuit: Seymour Hersh is the investigative reporter with the FBI contact:

https://vgy.me/tRcdOQ

Amazing spin job by NPR, but apparently people were waiting for the spin so they could drop the audio files.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 05:09:46 PM by etiolate »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7894 on: August 01, 2017, 05:12:41 PM »
oh honey

Tasty

« Reply #7895 on: August 01, 2017, 05:17:16 PM »
Shit now NPR's in this too, this might even go deeper than balls deep as Joe suggested

etiolate

« Reply #7896 on: August 01, 2017, 05:21:57 PM »
NPR was likely handed this story with a note on what it was about and wrote that story. They were given the story after all. That doesn't require any conspiracy or secrecy. It's just bias and convenience.

They buried the Seymour Hersh part, which is a big story on its own. FWIW, they don't believe Rich was killed because of this. Just simply that Rich was the source for Wikileaks. i have to repeat that every time, because people go to murder conspiracy as the response.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7897 on: August 01, 2017, 05:45:56 PM »
Etoilate, can I interest you in this https://www.reddit.com/r/dolphinconspiracy/

etiolate

« Reply #7898 on: August 01, 2017, 05:56:42 PM »
You realize that the lawsuit claims a conspiracy, right?

My favorite bit about this whole thing is your asses flip flopping on whether to trust Rod Wheeler or not. He's unreliable when he talks about the FBI source, but he's reliable when he makes Fox News look bad. Y'all are fucking magic.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7899 on: August 01, 2017, 06:00:33 PM »
The real Finland is a kingdom 50 nautical miles off of Jamaica ruled by dolphins.  Think about it.   

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #7900 on: August 01, 2017, 06:02:35 PM »
Why should we trust NPR when Kim Dotcom has already weighed in?
yar

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #7901 on: August 01, 2017, 06:03:55 PM »

He's unreliable when he talks about the FBI source, but he's reliable when he makes Fox News look bad. Y'all are fucking magic.

That's not what people here have been saying.
MMA

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #7903 on: August 01, 2017, 06:06:31 PM »

He's unreliable when he talks about the FBI source, but he's reliable when he makes Fox News look bad. Y'all are fucking magic.

It is what allows him to maintain a belief in his own superiority though. :idont
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 07:27:50 PM by Rufus »

etiolate

« Reply #7904 on: August 01, 2017, 06:10:35 PM »

It is. When he fed one source the FBI story, he was unreliable. When he's quoted in CNN, people take it as true. This lawsuit? We love Rod Wheeler again.

Tasty

« Reply #7905 on: August 01, 2017, 06:12:27 PM »
I don't even know who Rod Wheeler is.

Same lol.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #7908 on: August 01, 2017, 06:17:47 PM »

It is. When he fed one source the FBI story, he was unreliable. When he's quoted in CNN, people take it as true. This lawsuit? We love Rod Wheeler again.

No. 

At the risk of speaking for other members here, the position taken is:  He is unreliable in all instances.

Your opponents never put any stock in his reliability.  You did, by pointing to his claims as reason to think the whole "seth rich conspiracy theory" had substance.  So his changing stories are being thrown at you for the absurdity of you giving him any credence in the first place, not because anyone here suddenly considered him to be reliable once his story changed.
MMA

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7909 on: August 01, 2017, 06:19:58 PM »

No. 

At the risk of speaking for other members here, the position taken is:  He is unreliable in all instances.

Your opponents never put any stock in his reliability.  You did, by pointing to his claims as reason to think the whole "seth rich conspiracy theory" had substance.  So his changing stories are being thrown at you for the absurdity of you giving him any credence in the first place, not because anyone here suddenly considered him to be reliable once his story changed.

Didn't you make this post 3 months ago?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7910 on: August 01, 2017, 06:20:51 PM »
The dolphins are messing with time again. 

etiolate

« Reply #7911 on: August 01, 2017, 06:27:36 PM »

No. 

The story starts with Assange heavily suggesting that Rich was his source.

Wheeler came in later, stating there was a anon FBI source. Then anon sources for other outlets denied it (in a way). Then Wheeler told CNN it all came from Fox News, which suddenly everyone believed from Wheeler here. This NPR story is all based on Wheeler's Lawsuit. Wheeler and his lawyer are the source there. The lawsuit is the source.

I gave Seth Rich being the leak credence. I never said Wheeler was reliable. I still don't think he's reliable. However, I'm not waffling on that in that I fully believe everything he says in what report and then fully disbelieve what he says in another instance. To bugger on about this thing as this thread has requires alternately believing Wheeler and not believing Wheeler.

You can't wiggle out of this.

And, btw, its being claimed that the second audio file stating the FBI saw Rich's emails and him contacting wikileaks is Seymour Hersh.

http://bigleaguepolitics.com/audio-seymour-hersh-states-seth-rich-wikileaks-source/

So I'm basing it now on Assange, Hersh and his FBI source. Wheeler is irrelevant to the claim.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 06:32:13 PM by etiolate »

etiolate

« Reply #7912 on: August 01, 2017, 06:39:55 PM »
Because his information and materials have never been falsified or even really accused of being false. People just don't like that the information is leaked.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #7913 on: August 01, 2017, 06:48:05 PM »
Remember when he said he'd turn himself in if Chelsea Manning was pardoned, then she was and he didn't? good times

etiolate

« Reply #7914 on: August 01, 2017, 06:49:33 PM »
He likely dropped them to do damage to Clinton, but that doesn't make him untrustworthy. It means he makes the most out of the material, and if it was Seth Rich who provided the leaks, and did so because of what the DNC was doing to Bernie/for Hilary, it would make sense that Assange would follow the source's desire and use it to hurt Clinton.

But he's hurt Clinton. He's hurt Bush. He's hurt many others. There isn't a history of lies though.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #7915 on: August 01, 2017, 07:14:51 PM »
Shit now NPR's in this too, this might even go deeper than balls deep as Joe suggested

We're taint deep now
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7916 on: August 01, 2017, 07:15:37 PM »
Assange teased Rich being the source of the leaks because it was a good way to stir things up and cast Hillary/The DNC in the worst possible light. That's it and that's all.
dog

Tasty

« Reply #7917 on: August 01, 2017, 07:21:10 PM »

We're taint deep now

:dead

Brehvolution

©ZH

etiolate

« Reply #7919 on: August 01, 2017, 07:49:25 PM »
You guys are fucking amazing.

First person to look at what is presented and not be a bitch gets a lollipop.

I do love that we've moved to discrediting Assange because of a tape of Seymour Hersh saying he has a source on the wikileaks connection.