Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5528204 times)

Nola

Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| FAILED OBAMACARE REPLACEMENT
« Reply #7620 on: July 22, 2017, 01:30:57 AM »
So Sessions is toast, but that's not really great news, Trump would love to push through a stooge that isn't recused from the investigation.
If recent history is prologue, Trump will in fact end up blabbering to some reporter about how he fired Sessions because he wanted to put someone in place that would be more active in suppressing the Mueller investigation..

...And two weeks later Republican support for Trump will tick back up after a small drop and only 11% of Trump voters will think the Sessions firing is concerning.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7621 on: July 22, 2017, 01:47:41 AM »
So Sessions is toast, but that's not really great news, Trump would love to push through a stooge that isn't recused from the investigation.
If recent history is prologue, Trump will in fact end up blabbering to some reporter about how he fired Sessions because he wanted to put someone in place that would be more active in suppressing the Mueller investigation..

...And two weeks later Republican support for Trump will tick back up after a small drop and only 11% of Trump voters will think the Sessions firing is concerning.

Uh I mean he'll still only have like 35% approval.
püp

agrajag

« Reply #7622 on: July 22, 2017, 02:05:38 AM »
So my current boss used to work for Anthony Scaramucci. He regaled us with a tale today, of how he was in the restroom taking a piss, and Scaramucci stands next to him to take a leak as well. My boss goes to wash his hands, and when he's done, Scaramucci zips up and comes up to him. "What's your name?" he says. My boss goes "my name is ___" Scaramucci reaches out for a handshake. My boss is kind of befuddled, but in the end refuses to shake his dick-hand and Scaramucci gets upset. He angirly says "You have trust issues. You could've just washed your fucking hand afterwards, you idiot," and storms out. So yeah, just a random tale I guess.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #7623 on: July 22, 2017, 02:11:42 AM »
sounds like your boss was scared a much-ee

please please, don't all hit like at once, give it to the less fortunate

agrajag

« Reply #7624 on: July 22, 2017, 02:16:15 AM »
He got scared of the Mooch.

Another time he said the Mooch walked into the office with an airhorn and a megaphone and announced that everyone needs to get the fuck out and that he's closing the office for the day because he's got a supermodel date that he's going to bang on a yacht.  :lol

benjipwns

« Reply #7625 on: July 22, 2017, 02:26:31 AM »
How has Trump not made this guy Secretary of Defense or something already.

benjipwns

« Reply #7626 on: July 22, 2017, 02:27:49 AM »
In January 2017, he told New York magazine that the "thing I have learned about these people in Washington is they have no money"
:whoo

He started his career at Goldman Sachs being hired, fired, and rehired in a single year
:whew

this guy :lol

Nola

« Reply #7627 on: July 22, 2017, 02:40:49 AM »

Uh I mean he'll still only have like 35% approval.

True.

However Republicans have seen those numbers for months now and it has barely moved the needle. When it comes to Trump, they seem more concerned with the fact the overwhelming majority of their party is behind Trump and supports his and the Fox News version of reality. So fuckery away for the foreseeable future IMO.

benjipwns

« Reply #7628 on: July 22, 2017, 09:14:42 AM »
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/21/sean-hannity-no-william-f-buckley-jr-award-240799
Fox News host Sean Hannity will no longer receive the Media Research Center’s William F. Buckley Jr. Award for Media Excellence at the group’s September gala.

Sources familiar with the situation said it is because Buckley’s son, Christopher Buckley, was unhappy with the decision and expressed his views to MRC head Brent Bozell, who is also Buckley’s nephew. But Hannity and the MRC are claiming it’s a “scheduling conflict.”

Hannity’s name has been removed from the event’s website.

“It’s a coverup," a source in conservative media familiar with the situation told POLITICO. Buckley declined to comment.
:rofl

New York Times columnist Bret Stephens, who has become Hannity’s bete noire, used a recent column to excoriate the MRC decision to give the Fox News host an award bearing Buckley’s name.

"As honors go, neither the award nor the organization bestowing it — the Media Research Center — is particularly noteworthy,” he wrote earlier this month. “But sometimes symbolism is more potent than fact. If we have reached the point where rank-and-file conservatives see nothing amiss with giving Hannity an award named for Buckley, then surely there’s a Milton Friedman Prize awaiting Steve Bannon for his insights on free trade. And maybe Sean Spicer can receive the Vaclav Havel International Prize for Creative Dissent for his role in exposing ‘fake news.’ The floor’s the limit.”

Hannity responded to the column at the time by tweeting that he agrees with Stephens in that he does not "deserve the [Buckley] award,” but that he doesn’t care what Stephens thinks.

benjipwns

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #7630 on: July 22, 2017, 04:56:40 PM »
Foreign influence! :maf
©@©™

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #7631 on: July 22, 2017, 05:28:46 PM »
With no relation whatsoever with current events :

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/888776590221553670
ὕβρις

Boredfrom

« Reply #7632 on: July 22, 2017, 06:06:39 PM »
So my current boss used to work for Anthony Scaramucci. He regaled us with a tale today, of how he was in the restroom taking a piss, and Scaramucci stands next to him to take a leak as well. My boss goes to wash his hands, and when he's done, Scaramucci zips up and comes up to him. "What's your name?" he says. My boss goes "my name is ___" Scaramucci reaches out for a handshake. My boss is kind of befuddled, but in the end refuses to shake his dick-hand and Scaramucci gets upset. He angirly says "You have trust issues. You could've just washed your fucking hand afterwards, you idiot," and storms out. So yeah, just a random tale I guess.

Sounds like a charming and confident guy.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
yar

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #7634 on: July 23, 2017, 11:06:29 AM »

benji explain
©@©™

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #7635 on: July 23, 2017, 05:32:52 PM »
This Scaramouche guy seems to be on the level of the administration :

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/news/a56500/scaramucci-sunday-shows/

"There's a lot of disinformation out there," he said, "Somebody said to me yesterday—I won't tell you who—that if the Russians actually hacked this situation and spilled out those emails, you would have never seen it, you would have never had any evidence of them. Meaning that they're super confident in their deception skills and hacking."

(...)

"You're making a lot of assertions here," Tapper responded, "I don't know who this anonymous person is."

"How 'bout it was the president, Jake?"
ὕβρις

benjipwns

« Reply #7636 on: July 24, 2017, 12:12:14 AM »
MY TITLE IS SENNNNAAAATTTTTTOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, SENATOR ROCK:

benjipwns

« Reply #7637 on: July 24, 2017, 12:14:21 AM »
Kaler Marshall  2 years ago
Kid rock is the human version of an above ground pool
:dead

benjipwns

« Reply #7638 on: July 24, 2017, 12:41:09 AM »

benji explain
"what's caught the attention of white supremacists is the way that Tucker talks about immigration, normally conservative pundits focus on illegal immigration"
 :what

vox is so cute

can't wait until they accidentally catch Lou Dobbs' show on Fox Business when they hit an extra 1 before the regular cable channel they intended to go to, then type his name into media matters

spoiler (click to show/hide)
off camera guy can't fool me with that shtick :lol
[close]

El Babua

« Reply #7639 on: July 24, 2017, 01:12:37 AM »
Cucker Tarlson

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #7641 on: July 24, 2017, 03:19:52 AM »
And the Nazis are profiting from the Eurozone.
ὕβρις

benjipwns

« Reply #7642 on: July 24, 2017, 09:18:27 AM »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #7643 on: July 24, 2017, 11:08:34 AM »
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/889467610332528641

Time for Sessions to find the real (Seth Rich) killers or gtfo.
©@©™

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7644 on: July 24, 2017, 11:48:19 AM »
jesus christ
püp

benjipwns

« Reply #7645 on: July 24, 2017, 12:00:27 PM »
I have this notion that sometimes he forgets he actually is President, he's just so used to shit flinging from the sidelines on twitter about whatever thing he just saw on TV that when he gets rolling it never enters his head.

When Eisenhower became President he early on often found himself falling back into General mode during meetings, especially with national security people, and had to remind himself that he was now the civilian commander in chief and politician so he didn't have to stop short on making suggestions or whatever.

This is kinda like that, only stupid.

agrajag

« Reply #7646 on: July 24, 2017, 12:16:51 PM »
I have this notion that sometimes he forgets he actually is President, he's just so used to shit flinging from the sidelines on twitter about whatever thing he just saw on TV that when he gets rolling it never enters his head.

When Eisenhower became President he early on often found himself falling back into General mode during meetings, especially with national security people, and had to remind himself that he was now the civilian commander in chief and politician so he didn't have to stop short on making suggestions or whatever.

The difference is that Eisenhower had self awareness, Trump seemingly does not.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7647 on: July 24, 2017, 02:42:24 PM »
Trump's basically a vampire. He sucks the life essence out of people who enter his orbit, eventually abandoning them as an empty husk, to sustain himself. Beyond Sessions and Spicer, look at Chris Christie. Dude went from a tough-as-nails Jersey politician who shouted down anybody who crossed him to being Trump's fast-food delivery boy, then ultimately ended up personally calling Trump to beg and plead to be named VP and getting rebuked.
dog

agrajag

« Reply #7648 on: July 24, 2017, 02:43:08 PM »
He obviously rewards them in some capacity since even ousted personae non gratae remain loyal to him, such as Flynn, Spicer, Corey Lewandowski, Jason Miller, etc.

Fake news. Sad.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #7649 on: July 24, 2017, 02:44:05 PM »
He obviously rewards them in some capacity since even ousted personae non gratae remain loyal to him, such as Flynn, Spicer, Corey Lewandowski, Jason Miller, etc.

Fake news. Sad.

...maybe with a disinterested handy?
yar

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #7650 on: July 24, 2017, 02:49:15 PM »

Fake news. Sad.

...maybe with a disinterested handy?

Maybe not so disinterested?

©@©™

studyguy

« Reply #7651 on: July 24, 2017, 03:54:06 PM »

tfw these dudes still out here acting like democrats are stopping the majority party from passing legislation.

Paul Ryan: Don't talk to me or my cloned son ever again.
pause

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #7652 on: July 24, 2017, 03:58:46 PM »
I'm amazed they're still at it with health care btw :lol

It's a tough ride to make millions of people's lives worse without it taking a political toll. Words have to be said just right.
©ZH

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7653 on: July 24, 2017, 04:33:25 PM »
Republicans campaigned on the promise to repeal Obamacare for 6 years, so they can't just leave it alone or they'll face major backlash. But they also can't just take it away without some kind of replacement, because, whoops, turns out people actually like just about everything Obamacare does. But they also can't agree what the replacement should be, because, whoops, a big chunk of the party doesn't want to replace it with anything.
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #7654 on: July 24, 2017, 04:51:05 PM »
Schumer is actually kind of an idiot for giving Trump this opening:

(Image removed from quote.)

I don't care what you think of the work that Clinton/the DNC/the DCCC or whoever put in last year. Don't give Trump room to undermine the collusion investigation. If you run around saying, "It wasn't the Russians; we fucked up," people are going to wonder why anyone is making a big deal out of Russian interference.

Also, fuck seniority-based leadership appointments.

That's such a stupid press release, that it's existence justifies Schumer saying it. :lol
©@©™

etiolate

« Reply #7655 on: July 24, 2017, 05:53:38 PM »
People want national healthcare on some level. The problem is doing it right when everyone in the congress and senate takes contributions from the health industries.

Nola

« Reply #7656 on: July 24, 2017, 05:59:25 PM »

Makes sense. He has a lifetime thinking everyone around him are just employees he can control and fire at will. Everyone exists(or should exist) to serve him. The NYTimes daily was actually talking about this somewhat today.

About how Trump basically doesn't see someone like Sessions as the Attorney General of the United States, he sees him as a guy he let be Attorney General. Mueller as someone Jeff Sessions let be special counsel by betraying Trump's interests. I'm reinterpreting now, but so in his warped mind, Mueller is akin to a rogue employee he has the power to fire if he steps too far past the line he has drawn.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #7657 on: July 24, 2017, 06:01:12 PM »
For the record, I think Schumer's not wrong here. But it's interesting to note how this plays into the abusive relationship pattern

- It didn't happen
to
- Well if it did happen it's not a big deal
to
- Well if it is a big deal it's not ultimately important to the outcome

Next it will be "well it's YOUR fault"
que

Nola

« Reply #7658 on: July 24, 2017, 06:20:18 PM »
People want national healthcare on some level. The problem is doing it right when everyone in the congress and senate takes contributions from the health industries.

One party wants universal healthcare, with members that are more sensitive to industry then one would like(though some rightfully so, re-structuring 18% of GDP has consequences). The other party either does not, or in the case of their moderates, they don't care and just blow with the wind depending on what is politically advantageous in the moment(see: Susan Collins).

But the Republicans know that their core values won't fly with the American people, so they just use fear tactics to kill reform of the other side, then sell their reforms on a bed of lies, saying their reform will do what the American public wants, but in reality it doesn't. If like with Bush(or on the state level) they attempt some sort of middle ground, their reform is basically just a form of lemon socialism. Using the guise of free enterprise efficiency to pass the government money to private industry that ultimately ends up costing the taxpayer more. Which then gets used as an additional argument against future reforms(or a justification for more lemon socialism if they want that at the moment).

People I don't think always recognize that this back and forth is not just something that started in the 90's with Clinton, or even the 60's with Johnson, this goes back 100 years. With relatively the same arguments being used(un-American, collectivism, AMA fear-mongering bullshit). Before UHC was socialism or communism it was Prussianism. Before Obama and Clinton, it was Wilson, FDR, and Truman.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 06:26:56 PM by Nola »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #7659 on: July 24, 2017, 06:54:22 PM »

The latest outburst about Sessions recusing himself instead of doing his bidding, on top of the rest of some of his statements, do give the impression he really expects his job is to diktat some vague policy goals (like having an "infrastructure week") and that the three branches of governement are just some mindless machinery to make that shit work somehow and flesh out all of the actual details. He probably believe that cracking the twitter whip to make sure his subordinates are properly crunched is what he is supposed to do.
ὕβρις

Boredfrom

« Reply #7660 on: July 24, 2017, 07:26:01 PM »

Fake news. Sad.

He tends to reward people at minimum thought. He still shits on Sessions while demanding that he does stuff in his behalf, even after the shitstorm that was the last week special fellow in that interview. He also tends to select the most sycophant people to work directly under him, some of them that didnt have a particularly brillant future before Trump (like Sessions and Flynn).

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7661 on: July 24, 2017, 08:15:34 PM »

https://twitter.com/robwhisman/status/760602670533148672/

etiolate

« Reply #7662 on: July 24, 2017, 08:21:02 PM »
What is wrong with you?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7663 on: July 24, 2017, 08:25:30 PM »
“By the way, you’re going to get the votes?” Trump said to Price, who stood beside him onstage at a national Boy Scout event in West Virginia.

“He better get ’em. He better get ’em. Oh, he better,” Trump said, turning back to the crowd. “Otherwise I’ll say, Tom, you’re fired. I’ll get somebody.”

:trumps
dog

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #7664 on: July 24, 2017, 08:42:18 PM »
I will say this, Republicans have begged for washington to be run like a business. They finally have their wish.
que

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #7665 on: July 24, 2017, 08:55:16 PM »
The Boy Scouts love it when someone gets fired at their Jamboree.
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #7667 on: July 25, 2017, 01:14:38 AM »

:-\

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #7668 on: July 25, 2017, 02:48:46 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

:-\
It's depressing until you realize barely anybody lives in most of those greener states. I drove across the country a few years ago, the middle of it is a literal fucking wasteland with a speed limit of 80. :lol
Hi

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7669 on: July 25, 2017, 10:14:38 AM »
It's also missing this context: in 47 states, Trump has a lower approval rating than percentage of votes he got in the election. And he's sub-40 in quite a few states that he won.
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #7670 on: July 25, 2017, 10:47:28 AM »
©@©™

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #7671 on: July 25, 2017, 10:56:34 AM »
The least mature person in the room.  :snoop
©ZH

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #7674 on: July 25, 2017, 01:23:20 PM »
“Well, he’s huge,” Collins replies. “And he — I don’t mean to be unkind, but he’s so unattractive it’s unbelievable.”

At that point, the mic went dead.

rip :dead
©@©™

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #7676 on: July 25, 2017, 02:27:16 PM »
That's the alt-right all right.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #7678 on: July 25, 2017, 03:06:54 PM »
So can someone preemptively change the thread title to something else? I have an awful feeling that this week's attempt will somehow succeed.
serge

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #7679 on: July 25, 2017, 03:17:59 PM »
The 'motion to proceed' went through. Proceed with..debating a bill that hasn't even been written yet apparently. So they're just going to debate stuff and sort something out, maybe. This seems like an empty gesture for the time being. ???
Hi