Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5390730 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| “Organs for RBG” drop off location
« Reply #29460 on: January 11, 2019, 09:05:38 AM »
Warren appeals to millenials in what universe?

What the Democrats completely missed because Bernie managed to persuade a few commies is that most young people are more conservative, individualistic and right wing than their parents.
The Democrats think that old people dying will make them bigger than the GOP but it will be the opposite.

Nintex, with his finger on the pulse of youth culture.

It’s true, ever since Tucker Carlson made conservatism cool again, my 12 y/o can’t stop sharing dank Lou Dobbs memes online with benji.
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29461 on: January 11, 2019, 09:35:58 AM »
I always knew that benji was corrupting this country's youth...
dog

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #29462 on: January 11, 2019, 11:34:27 AM »

:drudge :drudge :drudge
Miami International Airport will close a terminal early for three days because of a shortage of Transportation Security Administration screeners, airport spokesman Greg Chin said Thursday.

The security checkpoints in terminal G will be closed after 1 p.m. on Saturday, Sunday and Monday, he said. Terminal G is one of six terminals in the airport.

"Due to an increased number of TSA screeners not reporting to work, we have decided to take this precautionary step and relocate about 12 flights to adjoining concourses in the afternoons," he said.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/10/politics/miami-airport-terminal-shutdown/index.html

:O

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29463 on: January 11, 2019, 12:53:08 PM »
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1083783112973320192

"I need the money to build a wall so I keep the government closed"
"But also I'm already building it"

:trumps

I imagine this is part of some sort of daily briefing document for the president. With just pictures of stuff the departments have done.
So images of people locked up in jail, pictures of money, trains and factories and dead Afghans.  :lol
🤴

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #29464 on: January 11, 2019, 01:13:03 PM »
We’re now moving into “longest government shutdown ever” territory. The winning just never stops.
©@©™

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #29465 on: January 11, 2019, 01:24:06 PM »
I guess having a shutdown is one way to muffle the coverage of the ongoing investigation.
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29466 on: January 11, 2019, 01:44:49 PM »
I guess having a shutdown is one way to muffle the coverage of the ongoing investigation.
What investigation? Any news on the emails?
🤴

james

« Reply #29467 on: January 11, 2019, 02:01:25 PM »
It's so odd that the media has allowed Obama to stay in the shadows during yet another one of his shutdowns

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

Nola

« Reply #29469 on: January 11, 2019, 02:45:30 PM »
It makes sense.

Republicans are almost entirely morally bankrupt and too big of pussies to stand up to their increasingly fascist base or Fox News, so it's easier to just ask Trump to abuse his power and pretend this manufactured crisis is an actual emergency.

Takes them off the hook on both fronts and then if the courts strike it down they can just piggyback on Trump's inevitable attacks on the judiciary and cries of the courts illegitimacy, fanning the fascist sentiments further. Recognizing it helps get them back to where they are most comfortable, pretending to simultaneously be tough while playing the victim in the pursuit of whipping up racist, authoritarian sentiments.

.....Of course if Trump does something Trump like and refuses to open the government til the courts give him the green light or for that matter, actually gets the ok from the courts..Shiiiitttt

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #29470 on: January 11, 2019, 02:59:07 PM »
trump can't risk it going to court. If it loses there, which it will, it's really over.
©ZH

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #29471 on: January 11, 2019, 03:01:21 PM »
The speculation I heard was that he's most likely going to do the emergency declaration thing which will likely fail when challenged in court. At that point, I hope the senate gets to vote and end this.

Theres a good chance to see Trump fail after several months of battling in court which would be fun. Also, this is very important but wasn't this literally the plot of some season of House of Cards when Frank used FEMA to do an emergency federal job program? That may be where the idea came from.

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #29472 on: January 11, 2019, 03:03:15 PM »
I wonder if Trump will ever get that Fox News has his back, no matter what.

I mean, yeah, some of the their worst people might bring up some amount of measured criticism towards him for 'giving up' on the wall or some such bullshit, but as long as he remains in office (and realistically, well then after) they will continue polishing his image with their own toothbrushes.

The worst he'll ever get from Fox is temporary, moderate tut-tutting before the network once again aims their resources at whatever crazy thing 'Sandy' Cortez is all about now (clean water, why I never). Fox's viewers want to see pro-Trump everything, ergo Fox will satisfy their viewers. Its just so dumb to me that Trump still hasn't figured this out. He's the most powerful figure in his movement, he is beyond reproach from anything from his base, why the hell can't he switch gears on this like he has friggin every other thing he's done as a politician?

agrajag

« Reply #29473 on: January 11, 2019, 03:04:52 PM »
I don't have the link but I was scrolling through twitter today and saw something about his approval tanking according to Rassmussen polls of all places.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #29474 on: January 11, 2019, 03:07:50 PM »
He's down to just under 95% approval per Rasmussen.  :doge
©ZH

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29475 on: January 11, 2019, 03:08:22 PM »
I don't have the link but I was scrolling through twitter today and saw something about his approval tanking according to Rassmussen polls of all places.
That's because there's no wall. The Democrats are trying to destroy his 2020 election chances!
🤴

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #29476 on: January 11, 2019, 03:14:31 PM »
trump can't risk it going to court. If it loses there, which it will, it's really over.
Yup.
He pushes there he'll  be forced to prove it in a court of law, which he can't.
que

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29477 on: January 11, 2019, 03:46:36 PM »
Yup.
He pushes there he'll  be forced to prove it in a court of law, which he can't.
He could try

On TV

Through all the levels of the US justice system

:trumps

https://twitter.com/charliespiering/status/1083825252348686338
 :dead
🤴

Boredfrom

« Reply #29478 on: January 11, 2019, 03:50:33 PM »
I wonder if Trump will ever get that Fox News has his back, no matter what.

I mean, yeah, some of the their worst people might bring up some amount of measured criticism towards him for 'giving up' on the wall or some such bullshit, but as long as he remains in office (and realistically, well then after) they will continue polishing his image with their own toothbrushes.

The worst he'll ever get from Fox is temporary, moderate tut-tutting before the network once again aims their resources at whatever crazy thing 'Sandy' Cortez is all about now (clean water, why I never). Fox's viewers want to see pro-Trump everything, ergo Fox will satisfy their viewers. Its just so dumb to me that Trump still hasn't figured this out. He's the most powerful figure in his movement, he is beyond reproach from anything from his base, why the hell can't he switch gears on this like he has friggin every other thing he's done as a politician?

Because he is a insecure asshole. I think he sees himself more like a pundit than an actual public official at this point. The fact that he still tries to put on a show or getting pissy about Pelosi confirmation makes me feel he is genuinely serious in ratings being important to him.

Nola

« Reply #29479 on: January 11, 2019, 04:50:03 PM »
I mean who hasn't met that guy that listens to Rush or Fox News all day, addicted to the endorphin rush from the constant emotional outrage?

I just think he is addicted to it and the result is this batshit feedback loop that we see between them. He craves their admiration and has this perverse addiction going on, so he is susceptible to their influence more than probably most of his own advisers, but Fox News is basically an unapologetic propaganda machine 20 hours of the day and their primary motive is to prop up the president.

So its always a puzzle of who is driving who in a given moment.

james

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #29481 on: January 11, 2019, 05:23:06 PM »
Can't wait for Trump's Saturday Night/Sunday morning twitter diarrhea
que

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #29482 on: January 11, 2019, 06:42:42 PM »
Rep. Tulsi Gabbard said Friday that she is running for president.

“I have decided to run and will be making a formal announcement within the next week,” she said during an interview on CNN's "The Van Jones Show."

Gabbard, a 37-year old combat veteran, has done little to hide her presidential ambitions. She recently made stops in both Iowa and New Hampshire and looked into hiring digital staff and speechwriters. She has also authored a memoir set to be released in May.

The Hawaii Democrat's entrance into the presidential primary field comes before an expected wave of similar announcements from higher profile candidates.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29483 on: January 11, 2019, 07:55:30 PM »
Rep. Tulsi Gabbard said Friday that she is running for president.

“I have decided to run and will be making a formal announcement within the next week,” she said during an interview on CNN's "The Van Jones Show."

Gabbard, a 37-year old combat veteran, has done little to hide her presidential ambitions. She recently made stops in both Iowa and New Hampshire and looked into hiring digital staff and speechwriters. She has also authored a memoir set to be released in May.

The Hawaii Democrat's entrance into the presidential primary field comes before an expected wave of similar announcements from higher profile candidates.

"Our Take" from GameInformer
https://twitter.com/imranzomg/status/1083882751940382720
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #29485 on: January 11, 2019, 09:08:34 PM »
No good, lieberals already hate FREEZE PEACHES, Mr. President.

benjipwns

« Reply #29486 on: January 11, 2019, 09:09:51 PM »
Fuck ABC News for not reporting in this story whether or not Trump had peaches shortly thereafter or prior to the meeting.

agrajag

« Reply #29487 on: January 11, 2019, 09:11:15 PM »
No good, lieberals already hate FREEZE PEACHES, Mr. President.

Peaches that was clearly a signal to the Q Army, ya dumb NPC

benjipwns

« Reply #29488 on: January 11, 2019, 09:11:18 PM »
"Mr. President, we really need to go, you can finish your peaches after the meeting." "Oh, fine!"

benjipwns

« Reply #29489 on: January 11, 2019, 09:13:11 PM »
What if...instead of a wall, we just grew a dense, 20 mile deep, thick forest of Peach Trees along the border? :thinking

agrajag

« Reply #29490 on: January 11, 2019, 09:13:47 PM »
F.B.I. Opened Inquiry Into Whether Trump Was Secretly Working on Behalf of Russia

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/11/us/politics/fbi-trump-russia-inquiry.html

And Nate Silver has joined the #Resistance against MAGA Haberman

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1083901277296152576

benjipwns

« Reply #29491 on: January 11, 2019, 09:14:48 PM »
If they have enough picked peaches when they reach the other side of it, they're allowed in to continue moving through our border grape fields. :doge

agrajag

« Reply #29492 on: January 11, 2019, 09:17:11 PM »
What if...instead of a wall, we just grew a dense, 20 mile deep, thick forest of Peach Trees along the border? :thinking

Throw some solar panels on top of the trees and we got a stew going baby

benjipwns

« Reply #29493 on: January 11, 2019, 09:29:21 PM »
More from Graham:

https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1083797038326792192
Lindsey Graham's whole turn from low hanging McCain like occasional party bashing to straight up Trump fellating I think indicates he really took McCain's death hard and he's lashing out.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #29494 on: January 11, 2019, 10:28:16 PM »
The Tea Party was always way more successful at paralyzing the Republican caucus than at getting anything done, so it fits.

kingv

« Reply #29495 on: January 11, 2019, 10:56:06 PM »
I think the thing is that the tea party is now all that’s left in the republican caucus.

John boehner was basically openly contemptuous of the tea party, but over time the tea party had become the majority of the party... probably accelerated by the big losses this last year

agrajag

« Reply #29496 on: January 11, 2019, 11:01:30 PM »
pretty sure most of the seven republicans that voted not to give back pay to furloughed federal employees were tea party people, I know Amash voted no

benjipwns

« Reply #29497 on: January 11, 2019, 11:10:27 PM »
The Tea Party really just accelerated a wave of retirements of old hands, either against their will or for their "principled" stances. And young Congresscritters, as can be seen with a few of our latest newbies, aren't yet ensconced in all the rule mandated performative behavior.

Ted Cruz, for example, is not crazy in his positions compared to his successor Kay Bailey Hutchison. He's just a way different personality that's epic abrasive. And she had 40 years of experience in electoral politics. He has like seven.

In fact, Hutchinson was more "moderate" when she entered in the Senate in 1993. She was pro-choice, she was more favorable to immigration, did that common split with against gay marriage but for lesser forms of partnerships along with hate crimes legislation, wanted tax cuts that "were paid for", etc. But she moved more and more to conservatism as she stayed to where she left office as a top pro-lifer, against the DREAM Act, against even domestic partnerships, all tax cuts are good, etc. All her late term "moderation" came from the image of her being a long serving Senator who moved up in seniority, etc. She dropped a ton of that Senate language when she ran for Governor.

The Tea Party still wanted to get rid of her, and Cruz was her replacement in part because of that, but voting wise, I don't think Cruz is some kind of major downgrade from Hutchinson. For every area she might be slightly better, you can probably find as many instances where Cruz is at least mouthing skepticism of foreign policy/NSA/etc. whereas Hutchinson was a top Bush War on Terror supporter in every way. So even with one of the worst Republican Senators it's not like there was a sea change in the seat other than rhetorically Cruz doesn't care being an asshole.

benjipwns

« Reply #29498 on: January 11, 2019, 11:13:01 PM »
In many ways, the Republican Revolution did the same thing to Gingrich that the Tea Party did to Boehner.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #29499 on: January 11, 2019, 11:14:14 PM »
where Cruz is at least mouthing skepticism of foreign policy/NSA/etc. whereas Hutchinson was a top Bush War on Terror supporter in every way.

wasn't he the bomb-sand-until-it-glows guy?

benjipwns

« Reply #29500 on: January 11, 2019, 11:15:33 PM »
Right, no world police costly long term occupations, just erasure of nations from the face of the Earth isolationism with weapons we need to dispose of anyway fiscal conservatism. :american

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #29501 on: January 11, 2019, 11:49:24 PM »
One thing I've learned is there's always a catch with right-wing "doves."

You think you've found some cool cross-ideological comity, and then they hit you with "Iraqis are genetically too low IQ for self-government anyway" or "what we need to do is bring back letters of marque!"

benjipwns

« Reply #29502 on: January 11, 2019, 11:57:49 PM »
I would totally bring back that last one though, seems like a wasted opportunity. All the PMCs can go off larping and you don't even have to pay them for it. And even better there's court precedent in which you can "eminent domain" their booty and throw them in jail for it!

benjipwns

« Reply #29503 on: January 12, 2019, 12:06:37 AM »
My three item agenda for a first day as President would be:
1. Cancelling all the inauguration festivities
2. Signing an executive order repealing like 20,000 of them
3. Signing pardons and commutations until my hand hurts or it's 7PM and time to livetweet about Lou Dobbs segments

So for most people nothing will be different than currently.

benjipwns

« Reply #29504 on: January 12, 2019, 12:50:00 AM »
After weeks of negotiations, former Today co-host Megyn Kelly is officially leaving NBC – and will be paid out the remainder of her three-year, $69 million contract

report is also that NBC was so eager to get rid of her they didn't even bother to demand a non-compete period

what an epic grift :lawd

benjipwns

« Reply #29505 on: January 12, 2019, 12:52:45 AM »
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/davidmack/gofundme-border-wall-refund-brian-kolfage
GoFundMe will refund more than $20 million in donations made by hundreds of thousands of people to an online effort to build President Trump's border wall with Mexico, after the Iraq War veteran behind the crowdsourcing effort suddenly changed his plans Friday on what to do with the funds.

In an update to the "We the People Will Build the Wall" campaign, Brian Kolfage wrote that rather than donating the money raised to the federal government, it would instead be handed over to a private nonprofit he said he had established in order to construct a wall himself.

"The federal government won’t be able to accept our donations anytime soon," he wrote. "We are better equipped than our own government to use the donated funds to build an actual wall on the southern border."

When he first created the campaign in mid-December, Kolfage had set an ambitious $1 billion goal for the crowdsourcing effort and pledged to refund all the money himself if the target was not met, according to an internet archive. "100% of your donations will go to the Trump Wall," Kolfage wrote. "If for ANY reason we don't reach our goal we will refund your donation.” The language was later removed from the fundraiser page.

"However, that did not happen," GoFundMe spokesperson Bobby Whithorne told BuzzFeed News in an email after Kolfage changed the campaign's original promise. "This means all donors will receive a refund."

"If a donor does not want a refund," Whithorne continued, "and they want their donation to go to the new organization, they must proactively elect to redirect their donation to that organization. If they do not take that step, they will automatically receive a full refund."

https://www.thedailybeast.com/gofundme-border-wall-campaign-implodes-turns-to-kris-kobach-and-sheriff-clarke-for-new-non-profit
Now Kolfage, a prolific operator of conspiracy theory Facebook pages, has recruited a team of prominent figures in President Donald Trump’s orbit to run a new nonprofit outfit named We Fund The Wall to do some wall construction of its own. The new group’s board, Kolfage announced on Friday, includes Erik Prince, the founder of infamous military contractor Blackwater; David Clarke, the scandal-plagued former sheriff of Milwaukee County; Fox News contributor Sara Carter; Tom Tancredo, an immigration hardliner and former Colorado congressman; and former Kansas Secretary of State and voter fraud crusader Kris Kobach.

“I joined the organization because its mission is of the highest importance to our country,” Kobach told The Daily Beast. “The wall needs to be completed, and it needs to be done as soon as possible. The best way to accomplish that is through a combination of both public and private efforts.”
He said the group hopes to secure enough funding from its initial GoFundMe supporters to build “at least two miles” along the southern border, which is nearly 2,000 miles long.

Okay, but what about the one to buy ladders to go over the wall?!?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #29506 on: January 12, 2019, 01:24:20 AM »
Mild shock at the crowdfunding campaign for the wall being a scam.
ὕβρις

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #29507 on: January 12, 2019, 01:36:45 AM »
Why arent these federal workers unionized? Dont they have some benefits? Can they sue their employer?

The European mind doesn't understand

Lik

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #29508 on: January 12, 2019, 01:39:11 AM »
They do have a union, but for whatever legal reasons that doesn't stop the nonsense.

Being in the DC area, there are a LOT of grumpy people right now.

benjipwns

« Reply #29509 on: January 12, 2019, 02:42:53 AM »
Even in the most "left" situations like Communist Yurop a public sector union can't sue their employer the same way as in the private sector. A court is not going to prioritize the collective bargaining agreement of a union over the legislatures inability to be bound by prior legislatures. And they definitely don't want to rule that the unions claims take priority over that of the voters.

Unlike with a bankrupt company, a court can't award government assets to the union as part of trying to make their claims whole. Obviously the shutdown is not the same situation as going bankrupt, but there are similarities to where you'd have to determine who exactly the union would be suing. And generally they are highly restricted in their ability to sue the government when it's not shutdown.

Take a hypothetical benji administration where I eliminated the Department of Homeland Security through the legislative process, should the SEIU be able to sue to overrule that and require the DHS to continue operating? Again, it's not the same exact situation, but a lot of the same questions come up in what standing they have exactly. Traditionally, the government tops all other claims.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 02:48:52 AM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #29510 on: January 12, 2019, 03:11:38 AM »
The Center for American Progress does not just accept shady donations. It also gives them. Journalist Andrew Perez reported that according to financial disclosure forms, CAP donated $200,000 last year to the American Enterprise Institute. AEI is a right-wing free-market think tank perhaps best known as the longtime home of racist social scientist Charles Murray. When Current Affairs challenged Tanden on Twitter about the donation, she replied:

We have a joint program on defending democracy from the rise of authoritarianism. Here’s the press release from the CAP website. Welcome [Current Affairs] to cover the many papers we have jointly authored. This is a critical topic more media should focus on.

Naturally, Current Affairs gladly accepts the invitation to focus on CAP’s collaboration with the AEI. I looked at two of the “reports” that they have produced together so far. First, it is still unclear why CAP is giving AEI $200,000. The reports Tanden links to are a few pages each, more like extended op-eds than scholarly works, and involve no original research. They both focus not on “authoritarianism” as Tanden says, but on what they call “authoritarian populism.” This is important, because while Tanden suggests that nobody could object to “defending democracy from the rise of authoritarianism,” we know that to the American Enterprise Institute, “democracy” and “authoritarianism” do not necessarily mean what they mean to you and me. When the AEI speaks of democracy, it means “laissez-faire capitalism” and when it speaks of “authoritarianism” it means “minimum wage laws” or any mildly redistributive social policies that could threaten American Enterprise. Tanden wants to wave away concerns about the collaboration, because after all everyone agrees democracy is good. But the question is—what are we actually “defending” here?

The CAP/AEI report “Drivers of Authoritarian Populism in the United States” defines what it means by “populism”: “political parties and leaders that are anti-establishment and that divide society into two groups: self-serving elites and good, ordinary people.” By that definition, Bernie Sanders clearly falls under the “populist” umbrella—he is anti-establishment and believes that ordinary people are being fleeced by self-serving elites. The report says that populism is not inherently bad, and emphasizes that it is targeted against the bigoted form of populism. But in the CAP/AEI discussion of European “authoritarian populism,” it’s clear that economic leftists are included in the category:

A 2017 study, which looked at elections across Europe between 1980 and 2016, found that there is an asymmetry in drivers of support for right- and left-wing authoritarian populists. While the right wing seems unresponsive to changes in objective economic characteristics, the support for left-wing extreme populists, such as Syriza in Greece or Podemos in Spain, is sensitive both to rates of economic growth and to unemployment. The rise of the Labour Party in the United Kingdom, under the leadership of Jeremy Corbyn, can be viewed in a similar fashion.
wait...what

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #29511 on: January 12, 2019, 03:20:51 AM »
Declaring an emergency seems like a "smart" way to surrender without losing face with the base. The courts will block the move, and congress might even get involved. Meanwhile the government would open and Trump could declare himself the most anti-immigration president ever.

jorma

« Reply #29512 on: January 12, 2019, 03:32:48 AM »
Even in the most "left" situations like Communist Yurop a public sector union can't sue their employer the same way as in the private sector. A court is not going to prioritize the collective bargaining agreement of a union over the legislatures inability to be bound by prior legislatures. And they definitely don't want to rule that the unions claims take priority over that of the voters.

Unlike with a bankrupt company, a court can't award government assets to the union as part of trying to make their claims whole. Obviously the shutdown is not the same situation as going bankrupt, but there are similarities to where you'd have to determine who exactly the union would be suing. And generally they are highly restricted in their ability to sue the government when it's not shutdown.

Take a hypothetical benji administration where I eliminated the Department of Homeland Security through the legislative process, should the SEIU be able to sue to overrule that and require the DHS to continue operating? Again, it's not the same exact situation, but a lot of the same questions come up in what standing they have exactly. Traditionally, the government tops all other claims.

Can't speak for the entirety of the EU but in Sweden the unions absolutely could and would sue. A private company going bankrupt would still be able to pay their workers because the government would step in and front up to 8 months of unpaid salaries. A defunded branch of government would absolutely have to settle with the employees before they can shut down, either way the up to 8 months are still guaranteed if they just stopped paying out the salaries. That's the law and the court would absolutely uphold it.

Also, 1 single day without getting paid and your obligations to your employer are voided. The airports would probably already be closed, in theory.
But in reality we don't have the "government shutdown" thingy, it sounds completely  :derp. And i say that as our own parliament still haven't been able to form a new government 4 months after the election. The old budget just remains in place until parliament can vote on a new budget.

benjipwns

« Reply #29513 on: January 12, 2019, 03:56:55 AM »
Sweden has a sovereign Parliament so ultimately it can override any judicial decision and it certainly can't be bound by a past Parliament.

benjipwns

« Reply #29514 on: January 12, 2019, 04:16:36 AM »
I'll copy this over from the garbage thread just because it's somewhat interesting especially regarding how early we still are, the Morning Consult poll from last week and then the closest major polls to the current date I could find back to 2003:
Bolded people who are effectively in..
27% - Joe Biden
16% - Bernie Sanders
12% - Hillary Clinton
7% - Bob O'Rourke
4% - Elizabeth Warren
3% - Cory Booker
3% - Kamala Harris
2% - Amy Klobuchar
2% - John Kerry
1% - Jay Inslee
1% - Sherrod Brown
1% - Kirsten Gillibrand
1% - Michael Bloomberg
0% - Eric Holder, Steve Bullock, Julian Castro, Andrew Cuomo, John Delaney, Eric Garcetti, John Hickenlooper, Terry McAuliffe, Howard Schultz

2004-2016 cycles
Bolding people who actually ran:
Quote from: 2016 Democrats, January 10-12, 2015 poll
61% - Hillary Clinton
17% - Elizabeth Warren
7% - Joe Biden
3% - Bernie Sanders
2% - Jim Webb
1% - Brian Schweitzer
0% - Martin O'Malley
Quote from: 2016 Republicans, January 10-12, 2015 poll
28% - Mitt Romney
12% - Jeb Bush
10% - Ben Carson
9% - Ted Cruz
8% - Rand Paul
8% - Mike Huckabee
6% - Scott Walker
3% - Chris Christie
3% - Paul Ryan
2% - Marco Rubio
2% - Rick Perry
0% - Lindsey Graham
Quote from: 2012 Republicans, January 21-23, 2011 poll
21% - Mike Huckabee
19% - Sarah Palin
18% - Mitt Romney
10% - Newt Gingrich
7% - Ron Paul
3% - Tim Pawlenty
3% - Haley Barbour
3% - Mitch Daniels
1% - John Thune
1% - Mike Pence
1% - Rick Santorum
Quote from: 2008 Republicans, January 12-14, 2007 poll
34% - Rudy Giuliani
27% - John McCain
9% - Mitt Romney
9% - Newt Gingrich
2% - George Pataki
1% - Sam Brownback
1% - Jim Gilmore
1% - Mike Huckabee
1% - Ron Paul
1% - Tom Tancredo
1% - Tommy Thompson
0% - Chuck Hagel
0% - Duncan Hunter
Quote from: 2008 Democrats, January 12-14, 2007 poll
29% - Hillary Clinton
18% - Barack Obama
13% - John Edwards
11% - Al Gore
8% - John Kerry
5% - Joe Biden
3% - Bill Richardson
2% - Wesley Clark
1% - Chris Dodd
1% - Al Sharpton
0% - Dennis Kucinich
0% - Tom Vilsack
Quote from: 2004 Democrats, January 10-12, 2003 poll
19% - Joe Lieberman
17% - John Kerry
13% - Dick Gephardt
12% - John Edwards
6% - Bob Graham
6% - Gary Hart
4% - Al Sharpton
4% - Howard Dean
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #29515 on: January 12, 2019, 04:23:52 AM »
there's an ABC poll from a week later in 2003 that has Joe Lieberman leading at 27% and Dick Gephardt second at 16%  >:(

jorma

« Reply #29516 on: January 12, 2019, 05:09:31 AM »
Sweden has a sovereign Parliament so ultimately it can override any judicial decision and it certainly can't be bound by a past Parliament.

Sure, in a strictly hypothetical situation, but not in a reality based argument.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29517 on: January 12, 2019, 06:35:19 AM »
I'll copy this over from the garbage thread just because it's somewhat interesting especially regarding how early we still are, the Morning Consult poll from last week and then the closest major polls to the current date I could find back to 2003:
Bolded people who are effectively in..
27% - Joe Biden
16% - Bernie Sanders
12% - Hillary Clinton
7% - Bob O'Rourke
4% - Elizabeth Warren
3% - Cory Booker
3% - Kamala Harris
2% - Amy Klobuchar
2% - John Kerry
1% - Jay Inslee
1% - Sherrod Brown
1% - Kirsten Gillibrand
1% - Michael Bloomberg
0% - Eric Holder, Steve Bullock, Julian Castro, Andrew Cuomo, John Delaney, Eric Garcetti, John Hickenlooper, Terry McAuliffe, Howard Schultz

2004-2016 cycles
Bolding people who actually ran:
Quote from: 2016 Democrats, January 10-12, 2015 poll
61% - Hillary Clinton
17% - Elizabeth Warren
7% - Joe Biden
3% - Bernie Sanders
2% - Jim Webb
1% - Brian Schweitzer
0% - Martin O'Malley
Quote from: 2016 Republicans, January 10-12, 2015 poll
28% - Mitt Romney
12% - Jeb Bush
10% - Ben Carson
9% - Ted Cruz
8% - Rand Paul
8% - Mike Huckabee
6% - Scott Walker
3% - Chris Christie
3% - Paul Ryan
2% - Marco Rubio
2% - Rick Perry
0% - Lindsey Graham
Quote from: 2012 Republicans, January 21-23, 2011 poll
21% - Mike Huckabee
19% - Sarah Palin
18% - Mitt Romney
10% - Newt Gingrich
7% - Ron Paul
3% - Tim Pawlenty
3% - Haley Barbour
3% - Mitch Daniels
1% - John Thune
1% - Mike Pence
1% - Rick Santorum
Quote from: 2008 Republicans, January 12-14, 2007 poll
34% - Rudy Giuliani
27% - John McCain
9% - Mitt Romney
9% - Newt Gingrich
2% - George Pataki
1% - Sam Brownback
1% - Jim Gilmore
1% - Mike Huckabee
1% - Ron Paul
1% - Tom Tancredo
1% - Tommy Thompson
0% - Chuck Hagel
0% - Duncan Hunter
Quote from: 2008 Democrats, January 12-14, 2007 poll
29% - Hillary Clinton
18% - Barack Obama
13% - John Edwards
11% - Al Gore
8% - John Kerry
5% - Joe Biden
3% - Bill Richardson
2% - Wesley Clark
1% - Chris Dodd
1% - Al Sharpton
0% - Dennis Kucinich
0% - Tom Vilsack
Quote from: 2004 Democrats, January 10-12, 2003 poll
19% - Joe Lieberman
17% - John Kerry
13% - Dick Gephardt
12% - John Edwards
6% - Bob Graham
6% - Gary Hart
4% - Al Sharpton
4% - Howard Dean
[close]
Pollling is so crazy early on.
I remember the Republican primaries in 2008. With Mitt Romney and the Clown car and every other day a different Republican was ahead.
At some point the front runners were Newt and Rick Perry.  :doge

🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #29518 on: January 12, 2019, 06:51:43 AM »
that was 2012, they went through almost everyone as a not-Romney :lol

Iowa polling even had Ron Paul briefly in the lead:

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29519 on: January 12, 2019, 07:21:31 AM »
What mostly happened was that one of them suddenly rose to the top (such as Herman Cain or Perry) and then all the camera's would be fixated on the front runner and the more they spoke, the worse they polled.
Santorum nearly beat Romney though. He spend some time under the radar and made a splash at the end after Newt imploded.
🤴