Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5433751 times)

team filler

• filler
  • filler
Re: US Politics Thread |OT| Romney 2020 - Time to win like a dog!
« Reply #46380 on: November 08, 2019, 11:10:15 PM »
sugar baby with her sugar daddy  :drool

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #46381 on: November 08, 2019, 11:21:01 PM »
interesting

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #46382 on: November 08, 2019, 11:24:04 PM »

:mynicca

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #46383 on: November 08, 2019, 11:30:18 PM »
Think 'Medicare for All' is a good idea? Fly to LAX and call an Uber

https://thehill.com/opinion/healthcare/469377-think-medicare-for-all-is-a-good-idea-fly-to-lax-and-call-an-uber

Here’s a modest proposal for anyone who believes “Medicare for All” is a good idea: Fly into Los Angeles right now and try to get an Uber.

What used to be a messy process that sometimes required a wait of 20 minutes at Los Angeles International  (LAX) is now a scene of complete chaos, with literally hundreds of passengers stranded in a parking lot while underpaid ride-share drivers struggle in gridlock so severe it takes an hour to drive the final half-mile into the airport.

Government officials are stunned because, honestly, they had a plan for that. And it was flawless.

This Armageddon was brought on by the airport’s need to reduce traffic so construction could begin on a new elevated tram that would circle the airport. It will relieve congestion when it opens sometime in 2023. Maybe.

Officials created new lanes for special shuttles that would take Uber and Lyft passengers to a parking lot outside the airport, where they could all join together in texting for drivers, then waiting for them to arrive. All other traffic in the airport would get squeezed into fewer lanes, and legions of ride-share cars would somehow fit into one parking area.

Quick fact check: LAX is the nation’s second busiest airport, serving 84.5 million passengers a year.

The area’s leading news outlet, the Los Angeles Times, thought this was a great idea. A Times editorial admitted the strategy has caused “consternation” among passengers who have called it “the worst plan ever devised.” But the newspaper — often a supporter of civic organizations which have a plan for that — discounted this skepticism, convinced the ride-share scheme will “make it easier for people arriving at LAX.”

I flew back home into LAX from Austin on the third day of this new plan — and I could smell the panic. Crowds of people bundled together outside the terminal, waiting as one jam-packed shuttle after another whizzed by without stopping. A woman in a yellow vest and an official-looking cap tried nervously to keep everyone else calm as she scanned the horizon for some form of transportation that might help out. My wife looked at me, dread filling her eyes. I quickly took out my phone and called our daughter to come pick us up.

Given the history that Los Angeles officials have of not quite getting things right the first time, one would imagine somebody saw this disaster coming.

Someone did.

Executives at Uber sounded the alarm as soon as they saw the traffic plan. The pickup area, they said, wasn’t big enough to accommodate all their cars. Traffic jams and wait times would skyrocket, they warned.

But airport officials brushed off these concerns. After all, they had a plan. The plan had been run through computer models, road-tested no doubt with some virtual reality software that accounted for every possibility. They were confident, even a bit smug. Uber and Lyft may think of themselves as top-level experts in moving cars around. But no need to worry: We. Know. Better.

Well, now, guess what? LAX is enlarging the size of the parking lot, making adjustments to its shuttle schedules, and crossing its collective fingers that this will all work itself out before the arrival of the passenger deluge commonly known as Thanksgiving. No one is betting it will.

And this, remember, simply involves getting out of an airport. There are no life-and-death issues here, no one’s health is in danger, no loved ones are left clueless and hopeless. This is not Medicare for All. Except for one thing: The mindset is the same.

Medicare For All proponents have their plans, too. They have computer models and forecasts. In that bubble of theories and assumptions, there is certainty. People who don’t believe just don’t understand: We. Know. Better.

Vast majorities of voters agree the health care system needs to get better. Small steps toward that goal allow for human error and the way real life runs roughshod over the best-laid plans. 

The people who know better, who say small steps equal surrender, just need to fly out to L.A.

Call me. I’ll come pick you up.

Joe Ferullo is an award-winning media executive, producer and journalist and former executive vice president of programming for CBS Television Distribution. He was a news executive for NBC, a writer-producer for “Dateline NBC,” and worked for ABC News. Follow him on Twitter @ironworker1.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #46384 on: November 08, 2019, 11:30:42 PM »

agrajag

« Reply #46385 on: November 09, 2019, 12:03:27 AM »
:drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge

LULA HAS ENDORSED BERNIE SANDERS

THIS IS NOT A DRILL

#endorseforendorse

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #46386 on: November 09, 2019, 12:04:11 AM »

https://thehill.com/opinion/healthcare/469377-think-medicare-for-all-is-a-good-idea-fly-to-lax-and-call-an-uber

Here’s a modest proposal for anyone who believes “Medicare for All” is a good idea: Fly into Los Angeles right now and try to get an Uber.

What used to be a messy process that sometimes required a wait of 20 minutes at Los Angeles International  (LAX) is now a scene of complete chaos, with literally hundreds of passengers stranded in a parking lot while underpaid ride-share drivers struggle in gridlock so severe it takes an hour to drive the final half-mile into the airport.

Government officials are stunned because, honestly, they had a plan for that. And it was flawless.

This Armageddon was brought on by the airport’s need to reduce traffic so construction could begin on a new elevated tram that would circle the airport. It will relieve congestion when it opens sometime in 2023. Maybe.

Officials created new lanes for special shuttles that would take Uber and Lyft passengers to a parking lot outside the airport, where they could all join together in texting for drivers, then waiting for them to arrive. All other traffic in the airport would get squeezed into fewer lanes, and legions of ride-share cars would somehow fit into one parking area.

Quick fact check: LAX is the nation’s second busiest airport, serving 84.5 million passengers a year.

The area’s leading news outlet, the Los Angeles Times, thought this was a great idea. A Times editorial admitted the strategy has caused “consternation” among passengers who have called it “the worst plan ever devised.” But the newspaper — often a supporter of civic organizations which have a plan for that — discounted this skepticism, convinced the ride-share scheme will “make it easier for people arriving at LAX.”

I flew back home into LAX from Austin on the third day of this new plan — and I could smell the panic. Crowds of people bundled together outside the terminal, waiting as one jam-packed shuttle after another whizzed by without stopping. A woman in a yellow vest and an official-looking cap tried nervously to keep everyone else calm as she scanned the horizon for some form of transportation that might help out. My wife looked at me, dread filling her eyes. I quickly took out my phone and called our daughter to come pick us up.

Given the history that Los Angeles officials have of not quite getting things right the first time, one would imagine somebody saw this disaster coming.

Someone did.

Executives at Uber sounded the alarm as soon as they saw the traffic plan. The pickup area, they said, wasn’t big enough to accommodate all their cars. Traffic jams and wait times would skyrocket, they warned.

But airport officials brushed off these concerns. After all, they had a plan. The plan had been run through computer models, road-tested no doubt with some virtual reality software that accounted for every possibility. They were confident, even a bit smug. Uber and Lyft may think of themselves as top-level experts in moving cars around. But no need to worry: We. Know. Better.

Well, now, guess what? LAX is enlarging the size of the parking lot, making adjustments to its shuttle schedules, and crossing its collective fingers that this will all work itself out before the arrival of the passenger deluge commonly known as Thanksgiving. No one is betting it will.

And this, remember, simply involves getting out of an airport. There are no life-and-death issues here, no one’s health is in danger, no loved ones are left clueless and hopeless. This is not Medicare for All. Except for one thing: The mindset is the same.

Medicare For All proponents have their plans, too. They have computer models and forecasts. In that bubble of theories and assumptions, there is certainty. People who don’t believe just don’t understand: We. Know. Better.

Vast majorities of voters agree the health care system needs to get better. Small steps toward that goal allow for human error and the way real life runs roughshod over the best-laid plans. 

The people who know better, who say small steps equal surrender, just need to fly out to L.A.

Call me. I’ll come pick you up.

Joe Ferullo is an award-winning media executive, producer and journalist and former executive vice president of programming for CBS Television Distribution. He was a news executive for NBC, a writer-producer for “Dateline NBC,” and worked for ABC News. Follow him on Twitter @ironworker1.

Read a false-equivalence article
2 to rez
Do 1 Brain Damage
Do 1 Brain Damage if the Reader attempts to understand what the fuck you're talking about by linking Uber to National/Socialized Healthcare
Do 1 Brain Damage if the Reader understands your essay is attempting "GOVERNMENT OVERSIGHT BAD" logic
End the Post
6 Strength

Oh well, at least I'll recover two of the brain damage I gained from the 5 paragraphs into the article quote I read before I tapped out because "Of course Uber/etc. is going to have issues if they're building shit, idiot. But what the fuck are you going on about linking that to socialized programs?"

kingv

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
Margs

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #46389 on: November 09, 2019, 06:59:26 AM »
If West does stick with the name change, we could be seeing "Christian Genius Billionaire Kanye West" on the 2024 presidential ballot.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kanye-west-christian-genius-billionaire-wants-to-change-name-run-for-president-of-the-united-states-after-jesus-is-king

:preach
🤴

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #46390 on: November 09, 2019, 07:44:17 AM »

What the fuck? I flew to LAX last year and got an Uber to my damn hotel in no time. What is this dude even on about. :whatsthedeal
Hi

agrajag

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #46392 on: November 09, 2019, 09:30:29 AM »
Who is this campaign meant to appeal to?
dog

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #46393 on: November 09, 2019, 09:38:33 AM »
Michael Bloomberg’s campaign staff

agrajag

« Reply #46394 on: November 09, 2019, 09:51:23 AM »

postgraduate professional class, presumably he would appeal to some of the Warren/Buttigieg demo

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #46395 on: November 09, 2019, 10:04:37 AM »

:lol

spoiler (click to show/hide)
They support Yang, Trump, Buttigieg and Michelle Obama and they hate the deep state and Alex Jones  :dead
[close]

Bill Gates
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 10:11:17 AM by Nintex »
🤴

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #46396 on: November 09, 2019, 10:32:20 AM »

What the fuck? I flew to LAX last year and got an Uber to my damn hotel in no time. What is this dude even on about. :whatsthedeal

LAX just put in place (as of two weeks ago) a new policy where you have to take a shuttle to a parking lot about a mile away in order to call for an Uber/Lyft/Taxi in order to mitigate traffic and do needed construction maintenance. People are complaining because they're being inconvenienced by it.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #46397 on: November 09, 2019, 10:47:03 AM »
How should we gauge the feasibility of Medicare For All? Should we look at similar policies that have existed for decades in other countries, at Medicare itself, or at a change in how ride shares are handled at this one airport? Really, who's to say.

Back in the late Bush years some respectable-ish libertarian econ blogger challenged left-liberals to say how efficient they thought a government-run health sector would be, on a scale of one to ten, with ten being the paperclip industry (super cheap, easily available, consistent and predictable quality). I don't think he ever said what number he would have given the health care industry as it already existed.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #46398 on: November 09, 2019, 11:02:12 AM »
I see m0dus has a new job  :-X

🤴

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #46399 on: November 09, 2019, 11:04:19 AM »
"Owning it together!" :rofl

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #46400 on: November 09, 2019, 11:08:09 AM »
How should we gauge the feasibility of Medicare For All?
Number of death panels required per capita
每天生气

shosta

每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #46402 on: November 09, 2019, 11:21:46 AM »
It hinges on politicians and states voluntarily giving themselves less power in the federal government, so.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #46403 on: November 09, 2019, 11:25:56 AM »
So the answer to failing politicians is more politicians.

In large states, the election of multiple senators could allow a broader spectrum of political representation—e.g., both Ted Cruz and Beto O’Rourke—which might help reduce the poisonous polarization that characterizes our politics.

🤴

Trent Dole

« Reply #46404 on: November 09, 2019, 03:55:09 PM »
Hah so turn the Senate into the House with all the problems with skeevy districting that that entails. :doge
Hi

shosta

« Reply #46405 on: November 09, 2019, 03:58:57 PM »
No, the State boundaries would remain the same.
每天生气

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

agrajag

« Reply #46409 on: November 09, 2019, 05:57:05 PM »
reminds me of my grandfather, may he rest in peace

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #46411 on: November 09, 2019, 06:06:03 PM »
Alabama losing worse than the GOP lost the House.
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

agrajag

« Reply #46413 on: November 09, 2019, 07:32:48 PM »
 :dead

shosta

« Reply #46414 on: November 09, 2019, 09:40:10 PM »
Quote from: politico
[A] key part of their narrative, which Democrats have asserted is ironclad, remains a mystery — frustrating their efforts to prove one of the more damaging charges against Trump.

How was Trump’s order to freeze the $400 million in military assistance handled at the highest levels of his administration? What reasons were given, if any, to the senior budget officials who implemented the abrupt freeze?

Despite a mountain of evidence supplied by cooperative diplomats — and a public admission and hasty retraction by acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney — the uncertainty surrounding the hold on the aid has only deepened over time, according to interview transcripts released this week as part of the impeachment inquiry.
I'd bet money that this administration literally doesn't keep any meeting notes or anything like that
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #46417 on: November 10, 2019, 02:48:42 AM »
http://inthesetimes.com/working/entry/22142/chicago-teachers-strike-lori-lightfoot-tentative-agreement

Summary of what Chicago Teacher's Union got: "a written commitment for a nurse and a social worker in every school within five years; the first-ever enforceable caps on class size; full-time staff to assist homeless students; more counselors, librarians, and restorative justice coordinators; making schools a sanctuary for immigrant students; even a guaranteed right to nap time in pre-kindergarten classes." (The Nation).

All this in direct contravention of a law that says unions couldn't negotiate for things other than wages and benefits.
每天生气

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #46418 on: November 10, 2019, 05:17:08 AM »
I'm surprised Nintex hasn't posted this, given his Trump fanboy-ism:

:drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge

https://twitter.com/Eclectablog/status/1193224862548070400

:drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #46419 on: November 10, 2019, 06:15:59 AM »
Quote from: politico
[A] key part of their narrative, which Democrats have asserted is ironclad, remains a mystery — frustrating their efforts to prove one of the more damaging charges against Trump.

How was Trump’s order to freeze the $400 million in military assistance handled at the highest levels of his administration? What reasons were given, if any, to the senior budget officials who implemented the abrupt freeze?

Despite a mountain of evidence supplied by cooperative diplomats — and a public admission and hasty retraction by acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney — the uncertainty surrounding the hold on the aid has only deepened over time, according to interview transcripts released this week as part of the impeachment inquiry.
I'd bet money that this administration literally doesn't keep any meeting notes or anything like that

Meeting notes 03/03/2019
SUBJECT: AID TO UKRAINE

Present: Donald Trump, Jared Kushner, Lou Dobbs (on speaker), Sean Hannity (on Twitter DM), Larry Kudlow, Miss Virginia 2008 (on Skype)
Sober: Jared Kushner, Miss Virginia 1998
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Larry was 1 hour late and possibly drunk as always so the meeting was delayed. This meant that Lou Dobbs already had a few too many for this afternoon sitdown.
Sean accidentally tweeted a picture of his coke bowl when he tried to make a selfie. Oops! Miss Virginia, who Trump said knew a lot about the Ukraine because he had read
she had done a fashion show in the Ukraine once was surprisingly well read into the subject. About 4 minutes into the meeting Larry passed out.
The White House physician asked if he had taken anything other than a 'single glass of wine'. The President handed him a few 100 dollar bills and said: "Keep this between us John" and send him out the room.
I'm not sure if the President knows the doctor isn't named John or that he was joking. To kill the time Lou Dobbs told us a great story about Ronald Reagan.
The President soon lost interest and started chatting with Miss Virginia. Asking her if she had any younger sisters and or had ever visited the White House.

About 10 minutes into the meeting Melania walked in, visibly upset that Mr. Trump was chatting with Miss Virginia. I quickly turned on the slide projector with pretty pictures of Ukraine
but I must admit they were hard to find because it is quite a shit hole. Melania got nostalgic because it felt like her home country and it seemed I had prevented a marriage crisis. Good Job Jared!
Now, of course Miss Virginia was watching it all and had recorded it. I called Rudy who quickly drafted an NDA. Trump paid her 400 million for her services. I'm not sure if that money was actually for the Ukraine
or if it was other money. Because Larry was still passed out on the floor I couldn't ask him even though that is not his department, he knows about all the money.
The President also asked her if she could help with other subjects. She happily told him he could call her at anytime.

Mr. Trump ended the meeting and thanked us all for a very productive get together. When asked about the aid for Ukraine by Miss Virginia the President responded with: "We'll see what happens!" and smiled.
I left the room feeling we had accomplished a lot today. This is really the best and most productive administration in the history of this country.

I send everyone a feedback form after the meeting to get their opinion. They all agreed that it was great but maybe next time we discuss foreign aid or foreign countries we should invite the secretary of state,
diplomats and ambassadors. In addition the President had the form printed and wrote: "GREAT JOB JARED!" with a sharpie on it.
[close]
🤴

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #46421 on: November 10, 2019, 09:00:45 AM »
I'm surprised Nintex hasn't posted this, given his Trump fanboy-ism:

https://twitter.com/Eclectablog/status/1193224862548070400

that's fake news, trump will win the popular votes the the amount he did in 2016.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #46422 on: November 10, 2019, 11:30:38 AM »
As for Trump's chances. If he makes it past these impeachment hearings and Warren or Sanders is the candidate than the popular vote will be more in his favor.
All the investors/bankers and other 'establishment' people that voted Clinton last time to protect themselves from economic collapse by Trump will pull the lever for him this time around.
If Bloomberg or Biden wins the nomination they'll vote against Trump.

Anyway, Trump is in on the #EpsteinCoverUp thing now. Only a matter of time before he starts or ends an interview with: Epstein didn't kill himself.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1193562107666673664

🤴

shosta

« Reply #46423 on: November 10, 2019, 11:48:02 AM »
As for Trump's chances. If he makes it past these impeachment hearings and Warren or Sanders is the candidate than the popular vote will be more in his favor.
lol
每天生气

Trurl

« Reply #46424 on: November 10, 2019, 11:59:28 AM »
https://twitter.com/QueenInYeIIow/status/1193264968604499968

I mean, that's a no win question so I can see how Warren could feel like she's being attacked in an underhanded way with it.  Still she didn't handle it as well as she could have.   

I bet Bernie would have just answered it candidly.

Occam

« Reply #46425 on: November 10, 2019, 12:45:08 PM »

He means that together with a handful of other billionaires, he owns everything.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #46426 on: November 10, 2019, 01:01:37 PM »
🤴

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #46427 on: November 10, 2019, 01:07:45 PM »

He means that together with a handful of other billionaires, he owns everything.
How nobody at their campaign pointed it out is a mystery to me. But then he's entered the race because he's blatantly terrified of Warren having a chance, so there's no sense pretending.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #46428 on: November 10, 2019, 01:20:04 PM »
After 2020 it's going to be like that scene from Watchmen
"I can't believe I voted for that prick 5 times"
"Well, it was either him or the commies right?"
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

shosta

« Reply #46430 on: November 10, 2019, 05:17:37 PM »
I don't know what thread to put this garbage in

每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #46431 on: November 10, 2019, 05:25:14 PM »
 :piss :piss :piss :piss :piss :piss :piss2 :piss2 :piss2 :piss2 :piss2 :piss2 :piss2 :piss2

I don't know what thread to put this garbage in

(Image removed from quote.)
:pacspit :pacspit :pacspit

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #46432 on: November 10, 2019, 06:29:15 PM »
There was definitely some quid pro quo with Nikki and Trump  :doge
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1193665354729431040
🤴

Trent Dole

« Reply #46433 on: November 10, 2019, 06:37:11 PM »
https://twitter.com/BLACKMESSlAH/status/1193661899235381250
Personally I'm going with Kanye, Bowser, and the soundcloud asshole above Bowser. 8)
Hi

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #46434 on: November 10, 2019, 06:40:52 PM »
The message body was left empty.
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #46435 on: November 10, 2019, 06:41:08 PM »
Personally I'm going with Kanye, Bowser, and the soundcloud asshole above Bowser. 8)
For me Kanye, the chick with the headphones and the baller on the top right with the hat.
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #46436 on: November 10, 2019, 06:42:17 PM »

For me Kanye, the chick with the headphones and the baller on the top right with the hat.
 ;)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 06:48:19 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #46438 on: November 10, 2019, 09:20:11 PM »
Not even his staff wants biden as pres, otherwise they would keep him up to date with this.

kingv

« Reply #46439 on: November 10, 2019, 10:03:39 PM »

I’m glad Mercedes Carrera made the list.

She was arrested for producing child porn on like an 8 year old earlier this year with her husband.