Author Topic: Holy Shit Death Stranding is beautiful nonsense  (Read 102625 times)

Rahxephon91

Re: Holy Shit Death Stranding is beautiful nonsense
« Reply #420 on: November 05, 2019, 09:49:36 AM »
I don't think Metal Gear Solid games are niche.

Yeah they are weird, but on the surface they aren't.

They got weirder and more 'complex' with each new release.  Most "mainstream-niche" games ever released, IMO.  Death Stranding fits right in.
But at the end of the day, it’s under basically a GI. Joe skin. Metal Gear Solid is military stuff, pretty easy to market to mainstream America even it’s military stuff with a real anime edge. And I’d say MGSV was rather toned down in its atmosphere anyway.

The main dude has a baby attachment and is about building bridges and delivering packages. I mean this is a bit diffrent then MGS. A stealth game where you play a military dude sneaking into facilities.
Death Stranding is dealing with far crazier subject material that’s harder to wrap around. IMO.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #421 on: November 05, 2019, 09:52:09 AM »
mgsv sold 6+ million copies. that's not the sales of a niche franchise

i didn't know anyone who had a ps1 that didn't also have mgs back in the day

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #422 on: November 05, 2019, 10:05:20 AM »
What killed him? Stamina? Poison? Holes in soles? WTF.
Gravity. He dared defy it.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #423 on: November 05, 2019, 10:20:51 AM »
After watching the Tim Rogers review I'm all the fuck in
:9

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #424 on: November 05, 2019, 11:06:45 AM »
I don't think Metal Gear Solid games are niche.

Yeah they are weird, but on the surface they aren't.

They got weirder and more 'complex' with each new release.  Most "mainstream-niche" games ever released, IMO.  Death Stranding fits right in.
But at the end of the day, it’s under basically a GI. Joe skin. Metal Gear Solid is military stuff, pretty easy to market to mainstream America even it’s military stuff with a real anime edge. And I’d say MGSV was rather toned down in its atmosphere anyway.

The main dude has a baby attachment and is about building bridges and delivering packages. I mean this is a bit diffrent then MGS. A stealth game where you play a military dude sneaking into facilities.
Death Stranding is dealing with far crazier subject material that’s harder to wrap around. IMO.

That's definitely true, yeah!

mgsv sold 6+ million copies. that's not the sales of a niche franchise

i didn't know anyone who had a ps1 that didn't also have mgs back in the day

Hence the term "mainstream-niche."   :)  The story has gotten so holyshitwtfisgoingonimsohighrightnow that it's impressive sales remained so high, IMO.
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #425 on: November 05, 2019, 11:23:15 AM »
helpful person: "you need help carrying that?"

me, trying to be cool: "no thanks, I got it."

me:

:dead
©@©™

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #426 on: November 05, 2019, 11:24:11 AM »
mgs becoming mainstream in spite of kojima's best efforts to make it weird bullshit is certainly something i'll agreee with :lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #427 on: November 05, 2019, 11:37:34 AM »
So you have to press shoulder buttons to keep shifting weight and maintaining balance?
ど助平

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #428 on: November 05, 2019, 11:41:33 AM »
So you have to press shoulder buttons to keep shifting weight and maintaining balance?

If reviewers are right, you have to HOLD them to maintain weight.

Something that I can quickly see being patched as an option.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #429 on: November 05, 2019, 01:52:50 PM »
Artsy stuff is neat and all but sometimes it is just a case of someone huffing their own farts and everyone around them saying it smells like roses to avoid looking like a pleb.

Tasty

« Reply #430 on: November 05, 2019, 02:00:56 PM »
Artsy stuff is neat and all but sometimes it is just a case of someone huffing their own farts and everyone around them saying it smells like roses to avoid looking like a pleb.

The world could use more bizarre, atypical media.

Let 👏🏻 people 👏🏻 make 👏🏻 weird 👏🏻 things 👏🏻

Not 👏🏻 everything 👏🏻 is 👏🏻 for 👏🏻 everyone 👏🏻

kingv

« Reply #431 on: November 05, 2019, 02:04:15 PM »
Have 👏 a 👏 weird 👏 life 👏

Live 👏 Mas! 👏

Tuckers Law

« Reply #432 on: November 05, 2019, 02:28:30 PM »

Svejk

« Reply #433 on: November 05, 2019, 03:13:42 PM »
I can't wait to play this with a few drinks in me.  Stoked.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #434 on: November 05, 2019, 06:58:11 PM »
I can't wait to play this with a few drinks in me.  Stoked.

And by that you mean Monster® Energy Drink™, the official beverage of Death Stranding™, a Hideo Kojima game℠?

*Sponsored by Geoff Keighley, Doritos, and MTN DEW **Featured on Late Night With Conan O'Brien

« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 11:31:31 PM by bork »
ど助平

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #435 on: November 05, 2019, 07:20:31 PM »
And I’m talking about how you think the game is right up your ally because you like to slow walk and take in everything.

You literally can’t explore too much in this game because your shoes will wear out.   It sounds like the opposite of a “take your time and take everything in” game.  The main gameplay loop revolves around carefully planning a route and your resource usage.
This is a solid point, i'm intrigued by the game more than i was before, because i love that aspect of exploration (my favorite part of Shadow of the Colossus is when yuou're NOT fighting Colossi, and i even love just wandering around software like Outerra, Space Engine or even Google Earth  :lol).
The aspect of the ticking bomb you mention though (in the form of limited resources) doesn't completely negate that, just adds a small element of tension to it, much like, as i mentioned before, the fuel limitation in SpinTires/MudRunner.

Well I'm talking specifically about the freedom to take your time exploring and going where you want;  the game does seem to negate that, not merely add some tension to it.
As i said it's a solid point, but i'd have to try the game and see how annoying and disruptive is in actuality.

I like what i've read about the stamina, that you have to manage keeping a solid balance on rough terrain, versus your endurance/stamina.
It's interesting, and stamina is an element i think games should explore more often, especially those going for a more realistic vibe.
It's partly what gives games like ArmA a sense of scale (on top of the massive map).

I also read that it isn't really open world, but a series of large maps (like MGSV?) so that also has me curious, but could backfire, if it feels just like a series of obviously designed obstacles, with little room for wandering and experimentation, on how to traverse perilous terrain.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #436 on: November 05, 2019, 08:09:15 PM »
User reviews will not be kind to this game I'm afraid.
🤴

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #437 on: November 05, 2019, 09:04:12 PM »
On the restrictive nature of the gameplay, it sounds like simply an interesting part of the system in that it should heighten the sense of relief when your able to develop cooler shit to help aid with the deliveries. Which makes sense in that an open world completely open to you with glaring artificial barriers is just another way to go about it. This  may just feel more organic. Making the protagonist weak at first yet develop, in time, into someone more formidable, and be able to go further, should make the sense of accomplishment that much stronger.

bluemax

« Reply #438 on: November 06, 2019, 12:09:26 AM »

QWOP Stranding ain't no joke my friend.
NO

Svejk

« Reply #439 on: November 06, 2019, 11:31:23 AM »
Oh snip snap!  Just realized it's a 3 day weekend this week!! 
Sam Bridges and I are gonna save 'Murca this Vets Day!!! 
FUCK YEAH!!!!!!

:tauntaun
 :salute

« Reply #440 on: November 06, 2019, 12:24:24 PM »
Making the protagonist weak at first yet develop, in time, into someone more formidable, and be able to go further, should make the sense of accomplishment that much stronger.

That sounds a lot like Monster Hunter.
野球

kingv

« Reply #441 on: November 06, 2019, 01:15:39 PM »
You will be ashamed of your deeds and actions.

« Reply #442 on: November 06, 2019, 01:32:49 PM »
Or every game with any sort of progression system ever?

I thought that as soon as I typed out my post, but MH definitely feels overly difficult when you first start, moreso than other games.
野球

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #443 on: November 06, 2019, 05:06:39 PM »
Well I mean physically further. As in the traversal of the world proper. Instead of the gatekeeping simply being hard enemies. But that is another example of what could be the case here. But in Death Stranding you have things like stamina and gear life that are the restrictive factors. It should make whatever development system that's going on in this game be that much more impactful due to some items being directly attributable to just how far one can go.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #444 on: November 06, 2019, 05:19:45 PM »
real interested in how they make walking harder/scale walking difficulty as you progress
◕‿◕

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #445 on: November 06, 2019, 05:20:34 PM »
WALK HARD: HARD WALKER
◕‿◕

thisismyusername

« Reply #446 on: November 06, 2019, 06:37:52 PM »
Holy shit, Giant Bomb's review is scathing. :lol  2/5 stars.

https://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/death-stranding-review/1900-795/

There's also a surprising dearth of memorable characters. Norman Reedus' Sam is especially bland. In a way, he's the perfect video game protagonist, because nearly all he does is grunt and sigh. There's just not much personality to him, which is a bummer given how much time you spend with him throughout the game. The only actor who feels like they're truly on board with the weirdness of the whole thing is Mads Mikkelsen, who plays an otherworldly soldier wraith that pops up just often enough to remind you that Hideo Kojima used to make some games about war. He seems like he's relishing the role, which I can't quite say for most of the other actors involved. Actresses Lea Seydoux and Margaret Qualley do their best with some truly leaden dialogue, and Troy Baker at least tries to chew (or, more accurately, lick) some scenery as the deeply disappointing terrorist villain Higgs, who is named that because he thinks he's like the God particle, and frequently references video games because I guess someone in this game probably had to do that.

Friendship Sexual Tension with Daryl ended, now Mads is my man crush -Kojimbo probably.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #447 on: November 06, 2019, 06:40:59 PM »
Kojima's first post-Konami project is a bizarre, self-indulgent mess that never quite manages to tie its myriad pieces together.

self-indulgent mess

by Alex Navarro on November 6, 2019

:heh

Chooky

« Reply #448 on: November 06, 2019, 07:18:54 PM »
walmart had this up today and ngl i was pretty tempted, but then i reminded myself of my crushed expectations when mgs2 and 4 were released. i'll wait til this is under $30 before i go for it.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #449 on: November 06, 2019, 07:22:14 PM »
That review  :preach
And there are significant sections of the game where everything grinds to a halt so that Kojima (by way of one of these supporting characters) can either explain at length what's going on with any of the myriad bizarre concepts built into the game's narrative, or delve into the latest Wikipedia article he somehow found a way to graft onto the game's plot. None of these inclusions should be surprising, because this is the way Kojima directs his games.
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #450 on: November 07, 2019, 09:00:04 AM »
Embargo up.

Alex and Dan (with different amounts of Abby at various times) first play and see the game (Dan is initially very excited) and then late game impressions after finishing the game, etc. (just after the 1 hour mark):

Took Alex 55 hours.

"Death Stranding sucks shit." - Dan Ryckert

Quick Look with Vinny and Alex (both have finished it by this one):

Alex builds a giant stack like in that gif, then tries to walk under a rock outcropping and knocks it all off over and over. ~21:30.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 09:26:25 AM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #451 on: November 07, 2019, 09:08:01 AM »

thisismyusername

« Reply #452 on: November 07, 2019, 11:24:07 AM »
But seriously though: Who could've foreseen that Mads, someone that doesn't play Video games and only did it because their children are mad Kojimeebs got more into the project than Norman "Grunting and looking dirty are my main attractions and the Walking Dead is declining ratings for five years now, Kojima" Reedus, the person Kojima tapped to play someone in Silent Hill(s) before Konami fired him.

Really makes you think that all the Mads posting while only retweeting Norman was the real behind-the-scenes sexual hand-off of the casting couch of Kojimbo.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #453 on: November 07, 2019, 12:51:49 PM »
Embargo up.

Alex and Dan (with different amounts of Abby at various times) first play and see the game (Dan is initially very excited) and then late game impressions after finishing the game, etc. (just after the 1 hour mark):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytPBnDDtvQ8
The contrast is excellent. :lol

Finally remembered what the cellphones being handcuffs reminded me off, Pawel Kucynzski's art:

A :brain goldmine:
http://pawelkuczynski.com/Prace/Cartoons/
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 01:45:25 PM by Rufus »

Svejk

« Reply #454 on: November 07, 2019, 02:46:42 PM »
I've read in a few places that it's best to just get to Chapter 3 sooner rather than later.  Everything opens up then for the most part and makes the exploring and world building much more worthwhile.

« Reply #455 on: November 07, 2019, 03:32:27 PM »
Redbox will be carrying the game if anyone is on the fence.
野球

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #456 on: November 07, 2019, 03:42:50 PM »
I'm just gonna pick it up. I either love it or hate it and either feeling is good enough to carry me through a game.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #457 on: November 08, 2019, 01:33:52 AM »
Dead babies in jars 10/10 It’s been a looooooooooong fuckin’ time but Kojima is back and maybe he’s gotten into weird metal or something
serge

TVC15

« Reply #458 on: November 08, 2019, 01:55:40 AM »
Ahhhhhhhh I’m loving this so far! It’s so fucking silly. I do fear the gameplay won’t hold my attention.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #459 on: November 08, 2019, 02:09:08 AM »
Oh my fucking gawd! I’ve had to pause every single fucking cutscene so far at least once to bust out laughing! I nearly pissed myself when I heard the name...

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Die-Hardman
[close]

So glad I ignored this during development. I wouldn’t have wanted that moment spoiled
serge

BisMarckie

« Reply #460 on: November 08, 2019, 06:58:17 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)
Oh, is this the Giant Bomb I've been missing out on  :doge

In addition to that:
The pearl clutching by Jeff about the baby is just embarrassing.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #461 on: November 08, 2019, 07:24:03 AM »
Oh, is this the Giant Bomb I've been missing out on  :doge

In addition to that:
The pearl clutching by Jeff about the baby is just embarrassing.
What's this about? Don't make me go look at 4 hours of footage.

Svejk

« Reply #462 on: November 08, 2019, 09:04:08 AM »
A youtube feed popped up titled All Cutscenes... but only ran 1 hour 23 minutes....  :what is this not a Kojima game??

BisMarckie

« Reply #463 on: November 08, 2019, 09:07:55 AM »

Jeff going out of his way to call the BB stuff distasteful,gross and what have you at every opportunity.
This Jeff is dead  :-\

TVC15

« Reply #464 on: November 08, 2019, 09:12:22 AM »
The explanation for MULES literally had me burst out laughing

One of my fave parts from the beginning...

spoiler (click to show/hide)
When you get to the room to see your mom, you hear something like this, either from DEADMAN or DIE-HARDMAN: “Sam, you must talk to your mom, THE PRESIDENT” and I was like sheeeeeeeeeeeit I’m Don Jr!
[close]

Jack Herer man I tell you
serge

Tasty

« Reply #465 on: November 08, 2019, 09:48:35 AM »
A youtube feed popped up titled All Cutscenes... but only ran 1 hour 23 minutes....  :what is this not a Kojima game??

Didn't play MGSV?

kingv

« Reply #466 on: November 08, 2019, 09:50:40 AM »
One of the reviews talked about individual cutscenes over an hour though.

Svejk

« Reply #467 on: November 08, 2019, 09:59:06 AM »
Heh... they edited the title as Part 1 now.   :lol   :doge

Tasty

« Reply #468 on: November 08, 2019, 10:05:15 AM »
Heh... they edited the title as Part 1 now.   :lol   :doge

Ha, YouTubers gonna YouTube.

BisMarckie

« Reply #469 on: November 08, 2019, 10:17:42 AM »
Bought a copy during my lunch break, can‘t wait to play it tonight when my wife and kid are asleep. :gamer

TVC15

« Reply #470 on: November 08, 2019, 10:19:26 AM »
The gameplay is a total afterthought in this and psychologically unsatisfying. There’s no mental “reward” or stimulus gained from holding R2 to regain a little balance. There is no incentive or reward in any of the game’s mechanics. It’s completely bland. A bowl of white rice. Not even salt.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn't even consider gameplay until like... 3 months ago. They were worried about the characters and VA and all the effects and physics and all the other things that are ultimately unimportant.

Only a little bit in, but despite the fun craziness, this is shaping up to easily be Kojima’s worst game. If the gameplay doesn’t change drastically soon, this is kinda a totally embarrassing disaster. I’m sure it will be a huge success though and borktarded gamers will never let us forget it, a la MGS4 and 5 and the portables.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #471 on: November 08, 2019, 10:27:57 AM »
Number of years since Kojima released a good game: 15
Number of days since Kojima released his most shameful and embarrassing product: 0

Sonytard borktards picking him as their gaming auteur would be like me picking someone like Robert Zemeckis as my favorite film director. It indicates mental malaise and disease, possibly poor breeding, urban living
serge

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #472 on: November 08, 2019, 10:38:01 AM »

Jeff going out of his way to call the BB stuff distasteful,gross and what have you at every opportunity.
This Jeff is dead  :-\

Not every freshly minted dad is going to have the same reaction. :yeshrug

Only a little bit in, but despite the fun craziness, this is shaping up to easily be Kojima’s worst game. If the gameplay doesn’t change drastically soon, this is kinda a totally embarrassing disaster. I’m sure it will be a huge success though and borktarded gamers will never let us forget it, a la MGS4 and 5 and the portables.
It's unclear why and I don't think it'll matter to you, but Tim Rogers indicated it takes until chapter 3 to get going.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #473 on: November 08, 2019, 10:45:44 AM »
Does Del Toro's character get naked and start fingering his asshole at any point in the story?
fat

TVC15

« Reply #474 on: November 08, 2019, 10:52:07 AM »
Do you mean DEADMAN, Doctor (formerly a coroner) to THE PRESIDENT?

no
serge

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #475 on: November 08, 2019, 11:00:12 AM »
Is mom called Bridget Bridges Strand?

The proud display of the three Monster Engery cans on the table made me turn off the game because my stomach hurt from laughing.

TVC15

« Reply #476 on: November 08, 2019, 11:21:32 AM »
I love how you can drink up to 3 MONSTER ENERGY YOUR MOM DRINKS at once for additional bonuses. Kojima is telling brainless manchildren that the binge drinking of dangerous energy drinks is awesome and fine and normal and that in the future people will live off them entirely (your canteen is also filled with MONSTER ENERGY DRINK according to the flavor text. No water here!). You can actually consume all of the energy drinks on the table in one sitting (5 or 6 of em) although there are no more bonuses after 3. Sam just fuckin' loves it. The way he drinks them you'd think the papillae of a cat's tongue were tickling the man's balls. No warning about how dangerous it would be to consume 6 energy drinks in one sitting. They just let you know about how it gets you some nut.

Kojima corporate sellout. Monster energy drink epidemic to kill millions of Sony fans. Scarlett wins.

Also, I really can't wait for Kojima's shitty real movie. I'm already giddy at the thought that people are trying to take this shit seriously.
serge

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #477 on: November 08, 2019, 11:30:01 AM »
If you look at the garbage nominated for an oscar. Yeah, it probably could win.

BisMarckie

« Reply #478 on: November 08, 2019, 11:33:46 AM »
I chug 6 cups pf coffee pretty much daily, so I can relate to drinking 6 cans of Monster energy.  :doge

TVC15

« Reply #479 on: November 08, 2019, 11:34:31 AM »
I have to give Kojima -some sort- of credit. I legit do not have any idea to what degree he is serious anymore. I'm kind of a connoisseur of weird shit--I think many here would agree--and that's quite the achievement.
serge