Author Topic: Yakuza/Like A Dragon/Judgement Thread Of There's A New Game Couple Of Months  (Read 91113 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: Yakuza thread of there's a game every couple of months
« Reply #480 on: January 04, 2019, 08:06:37 PM »
should record a commentary track for everything he plays

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #481 on: January 06, 2019, 02:45:35 AM »
I’m about start/stream a blind run of Yakuza 0, probably this week. Wish me luck!

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #482 on: January 06, 2019, 11:35:30 AM »
Got FotNS for $20 :hyper

Bebpo

« Reply #483 on: January 09, 2019, 11:05:59 AM »
Tried out FoTNS Yakuza last night. Ended up playing like 3 hours. Seems pretty good! The RGG Studio really excels at engaging storytelling in these games. They always feel like TV shows where you wanna see the next ep for the main story. Combat seems solid brawler but watching the head explode animation for every grunt really bogs down the combat to the point where I just avoid doing insta-kill moves for grunts, but then the game wants you to do them to build your meter and score so blah. City also seems a lot weaker than a Yakuza city and camera in it is super jank. But still off the bat it seems like one of the better anime/manga games to date thanks to a good studio doing it.

Would love to see them do a Berserk game.

Also the saddest thing about FoTNS is I bought the Kiryu skin because since I don't know much about FoTNS (I've read maybe 20-30 chapters of the manga), with Kiryu's VA you can basically treat the game as Kiryu's adventure in the post-apocalypse. But maaaaan, that skin is so terrible. It doesn't fit the model at all and you get this weird long legged Kiryu that walks like a not-human-being. You'd think the studio that does nothing but make Kiryu Kazuma videogames every year would make an effort to make Kiryu look right in their game, but whoops, guess not!

kingv

« Reply #484 on: January 09, 2019, 12:27:17 PM »
Ah man. That Kiryu  skin is hilarious.

I played as the savior of the century’s end, obviously, but didn’t really consider that Kiryu would end up with Weirdo Fist of the North Star proportions.

Fotns was definitely the best Fist game ever made but probably the worst Yakuza. What’s there is good, but just seems like it was really rushed...

Bebpo

« Reply #485 on: January 09, 2019, 01:56:25 PM »
Fotns was definitely the best Fist game ever made but probably the worst Yakuza. What’s there is good, but just seems like it was really rushed...

Yeah, I can definitely see that. Anime games are usually terrible, so even a weak Yakuza game is a pretty good manga/anime game!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #486 on: January 09, 2019, 05:32:21 PM »
It's their animation budget. They altered their rig for Hokuto-no-Ken and would have to re-do all the animations for Kiryuu to avoid that effect you're seeing.

Bebpo

« Reply #487 on: January 20, 2019, 02:42:23 PM »
I picked up the PS4 port of Yakuza 4 to play down the line in a few months after I've cleared my backlog up some. Gave it a whirl just to see how it is and did the intro with Akiyama and uhhhhhh

-The music is crazy awesome jazz funk straight out of Cowboy Bebop
-While you're playing as Akiyama who fights with Capoeira style
-And is voiced by Koichi Yamadera who plays Spike in Cowboy Bebop

???

Seems way too on point to just be a coincidence. I am totally fine with 1/4th of Y4 being a Cowboy Bebop nod Yakuza game. Just kinda out of left field.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #488 on: January 21, 2019, 08:03:41 PM »
https://store.steampowered.com/app/834530/Yakuza_Kiwami/

The PC version of Yakuza: Kiwami will launch via Steam on February 19.

[N]ow optimized for PC with 4K resolutions, uncapped framerates, customisable controls and ultra-widescreen support.

https://gematsu.com/2019/01/yakuza-kiwami-for-pc-launches-february-19#bisTMuOV67J2U6TV.99

:phil
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #489 on: January 21, 2019, 08:07:11 PM »
Yakuza 0 [Steam version] is part of February's Humble Monthly, and you can get that and The Division [uPlay version] if you buy the upcoming bundle right now for $12:

https://www.humblebundle.com/monthly
dog

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #490 on: January 21, 2019, 08:29:27 PM »
I'm playing Kiwami 2 and IT GOOD. Osaka looks awesome af.

The side stories seem to be really really really short tho.

« Reply #491 on: January 22, 2019, 12:20:32 PM »
I picked up the PS4 port of Yakuza 4 to play down the line in a few months after I've cleared my backlog up some. Gave it a whirl just to see how it is and did the intro with Akiyama and uhhhhhh

-The music is crazy awesome jazz funk straight out of Cowboy Bebop
-While you're playing as Akiyama who fights with Capoeira style
-And is voiced by Koichi Yamadera who plays Spike in Cowboy Bebop

???

Seems way too on point to just be a coincidence. I am totally fine with 1/4th of Y4 being a Cowboy Bebop nod Yakuza game. Just kinda out of left field.

Akiyama is an awesome character.
野球

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #492 on: February 03, 2019, 12:41:21 PM »
Yakuza 6 is $20 and Kiwami 2 is $30 at Best Buy this week.
©@©™

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #493 on: June 20, 2019, 11:01:59 AM »
Anyone know if Judgment is worth my time?
serge

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #494 on: June 20, 2019, 11:45:04 AM »
Anyone know if Judgment is worth my time?

Supposed to be pretty fun- I just got a copy.  Someone on REEEEE was having a moral dilemma crisis over getting an early copy for $40 off an eBay seller.  I decided to try buying from the same seller and the game came via free FedEx overnight delivery.  Insane.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 12:00:40 PM by bork »
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #495 on: June 20, 2019, 03:04:59 PM »
Is it kilamscloset or something like that? I might order. Seems too good to be true... but don’t care if they fell off a truck or whatever.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #496 on: June 20, 2019, 04:08:18 PM »
Is it kilamscloset or something like that? I might order. Seems too good to be true... but don’t care if they fell off a truck or whatever.

Yeah.  100% legit, surprisingly, lol.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #497 on: June 20, 2019, 11:09:37 PM »
Have much stuff to play right now, so just tried Judgment out and did the prologue chapter.  I really haven't played too much of Yakuza (I know, I know!) so apologies if some of this stuff appears in those games, but the gist of this game seems to be-

-"Open-world" type walking around, going into stores/arcades, etc.  Just like Yakuza.
-Battles that also play like Yakuza.  You have two fighting styles to choose from.
-Investigation segments where the camera goes into first-person and you need to focus on certain parts of the environment to find stuff.
-Following suspicious people of interest.  You can run after them, but anything that alerts them will fill up a bar, that once full, is the end of the mission.  You can stop and hide or appear to be doing other stuff on certain marked parts of the area.
-Chase segments where you hit buttons at the right times to dodge or go over/around stuff.

It's interesting to see a different take on the same game world as Yakuza.  Despite you being a P.I., it still feels a little too Yakuza-ish-- your partner is Ex-Tojo clan, lol.  Also for a guy who was supposed to be a hotshot popular lawyer, he sure seems fucking dumb- the story (This is right in the very beginning of the game) is that
spoiler (click to show/hide)
he got someone acquitted, which never happens, and then the guy turns around and murders his girlfriend and sets his apartment on fire.  Uh...hope this leads to something like that guy having been framed.   :P
[close]
  Wouldn't make much sense any other way I guess.

There's also three 2P-only minigames you can play from the main menu: Puyo Puyo (modern version), Fighting Vipers (Arcade), and VF5 Final Showdown (Arcade).  Am assuming you can play the CPU in-game.
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #498 on: June 21, 2019, 08:45:18 AM »
I went ahead and ordered it.

I’ve got a few other games to finish up first (including kiwami 2, which I’m like halfway through) but $40 is a great price.

Freyj

« Reply #499 on: June 21, 2019, 02:13:07 PM »
Guessing I’ll pick this up after Bloodstained despite playing 0, Kiwami and Kiwami 2 in the last 3 months.

Hopefully Sega prioritizes the 3-5 remasters in the West next so I can get around to playing 6 before it needs a remaster.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #500 on: June 21, 2019, 02:23:21 PM »
Hopefully Sega prioritizes the 3-5 remasters in the West next so I can get around to playing 6 before it needs a remaster.

:lol
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Freyj

« Reply #502 on: June 23, 2019, 03:22:02 PM »
Haven’t played 6 but this feels like a massive step forward from Kiwami 2 in pretty much every aspect.

Story maybe isn’t fair as K2 is working with old source material but this still feels like an improvement over the usual crime melodrama.

kingv

« Reply #503 on: June 23, 2019, 08:06:43 PM »
How is the combat?

I feel like the biggest thing not quite right in the dragon engine games so far. It just feels sort of sloppy with les options.

Freyj

« Reply #504 on: June 24, 2019, 02:45:44 AM »
Mandatory “it’s not 0” but I’m enjoying it more than K2. There’s two styles with one being more AoE / crowd control and one better at single target but there’s an insane amount of Heat movies and the wall running adds some nice options.

Also there’s basically zero load in to the combat. You can pretty much just run up on a group of thugs and throw a punch. K2 had this weird “combat loading” thing until the enemy title went away that this does not.

kingv

« Reply #505 on: June 24, 2019, 10:29:00 AM »
The combat loading thing is annoying. Strangely it didn’t really bother me I’m 6, but I’m very aware of it in K2.

Sounds like they are making some strides in the combat piece of the dragon engine. In K2 (and 6 even more so) I feel like the combat is very sloppy feeling and geared towards mostly being a button mashing brawler. It’s fine for what it is, but doesn’t have a ton of depth. Mostly it’s just grab a weapon and beat everybody with it.

Then when they try to have those epic one on one conflicts, the combat isn’t well-suited to it at all. in Y0 you are unlocking cool combat options all the way through until almost the very end of the game, While in K2, it’s like “here are 15 highly specific heat actions that require you to be right next to a specific NPC and then the other combat unlocks are sort of boring.

Freyj

« Reply #506 on: June 24, 2019, 11:14:16 AM »
K2 basically forced you into keeping decent weapons on Kiryu which I completely ignored in 0 and K1.

But yeah Judgment is definitely the game where RGGS has settled into the Dragon Engine and I’m enjoying it immensely. Shin Yakuza should be a blast at this rate.

thetylerrob

« Reply #507 on: June 24, 2019, 12:21:46 PM »
Shin Yakuza better not have this wack ass combat system. I still haven't gotten around to playing K2 because 6 was such a bummer. I'll probably try Judgement though.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #508 on: June 25, 2019, 07:15:37 AM »
https://www.siliconera.com/2019/06/24/yakuza-producer-says-that-yakuza-kenzan-could-get-a-kiwami-version/

Will you continue to release new Kiwami remakes?

Daisuke Sato, producer: “Personally, Yakuza: Kenzan is quite suitable to get a ‘Kiwami’ makeover. Kenzan was the first Yakuza game on the PlayStation 3, and only released in Japan. A lot of Western players mentioned that they want to play this game in English, and Asian players also want the game to release in Chinese. And because Kenzan was an early PS3 game, if it were to receive a simple HD remaster it would feel like it’s missing something, so in my opinion a ‘Kiwami’ version would be better.”

You’ve mentioned that re-negotiating contracts is quite troublesome. Would you consider making games like Kenzan that don’t really require contracts?

Sato: “Because Yakuza: Kenzan! is an early game, the overall appearances of the characters are quite old, and so if we were to create a ‘Kiwami’ version, we could possibly find new actors to contract and swap the models out.”
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #510 on: June 25, 2019, 01:04:43 PM »
My $40 copy of Judgement from eBay came last night, and it works!

No idea how that works out, but it’s a good deal.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #511 on: June 27, 2019, 03:34:42 PM »

My $40 copy of Judgement from eBay came last night, and it works!

No idea how that works out, but it’s a good deal.

ど助平

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #512 on: June 28, 2019, 07:57:13 PM »
oops beaten  great video tho  :lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

« Reply #514 on: July 25, 2019, 10:20:31 PM »
Judgment is already $39.99 at Amazon. Time to pick it up.
野球

paprikastaude

« Reply #515 on: August 02, 2019, 06:34:08 PM »
How much of Y6 is baby shit? I might want to try the new town, but I really don't care for the latter in the story (nor Haruka idol stuff - skipped 5 entirely).

kingv

« Reply #516 on: August 02, 2019, 06:56:05 PM »
I think you carry the baby for maybe an hour total.

For the most part you hand the baby off to some mama San and then check in on them every once in a while.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #517 on: August 20, 2019, 01:11:57 PM »
Yakuza 3, 4, 5 coming to PS4

Yakuza 3 out right now

Physical release when Yakuza 5 is released (Feb 2020)

https://twitter.com/Nitomatta/status/1163853027221970945

fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #518 on: August 20, 2019, 01:13:13 PM »
Nice!  Will wait for the physical release.
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #519 on: August 20, 2019, 01:21:27 PM »
That Yakuza 5 PS3 case inclusion is super weird.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #520 on: August 20, 2019, 01:34:27 PM »
That Yakuza 5 PS3 case inclusion is super weird.

I guess it's for people who want to have the "complete set" on their shelf or something. 
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #521 on: August 20, 2019, 02:22:02 PM »
ya yakuza 5 was digital only on ps3 in the us so we never got a case

kingv

« Reply #522 on: August 20, 2019, 02:57:41 PM »
I’ll probably get this physical actually. I’m still working through Kiwanis 2

Himu

« Reply #523 on: August 20, 2019, 04:10:16 PM »

So I'm curious if they'll make some actual giant leap this time or not. It's most definitely going to be Kamurocho again but what's different?

:lol

If you're Yak'd out now... and you're asking questions like this... :lol
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #524 on: August 20, 2019, 04:15:12 PM »
I did. I'm just saying to have low expectations.

The fact they're using Kamurocho again, despite saying it's a new clean slate is the biggest hint.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #525 on: August 20, 2019, 04:21:34 PM »
Fair enough, sorry for being combative.

I do have low expectations for the most part, but I am curious mostly cause they're having an event for it soon and kinda kept this game in the dark for a while (which they don't usually do) outside of like one persona like turn based minigame?

It's okay. And if the new main character doesn't work out expect them to bring back Kiryu.

They played it safe with that series for a full decade. I'm very cynical about whatever direction they take to make things different. It's basically Japanese Assassin's Creed, so that's why I say to keep your expectations low.
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #526 on: August 20, 2019, 05:38:53 PM »
speaking of different

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1163855153205788673

:ltg
someone show them the fucking sales of Sekiro and Nioh
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 05:53:10 PM by Spieler1 »

Freyj

« Reply #527 on: August 20, 2019, 05:40:33 PM »
Well shit I guess I’m playing Yakuza 3 now. I wanna get through 6 in the next year or so so I don’t have to worry about anymore ports and remasters.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #528 on: August 20, 2019, 06:58:42 PM »
GIMME DAT ISSHIN!

kingv

« Reply #529 on: August 20, 2019, 07:54:56 PM »
Fair enough, sorry for being combative.

I do have low expectations for the most part, but I am curious mostly cause they're having an event for it soon and kinda kept this game in the dark for a while (which they don't usually do) outside of like one persona like turn based minigame?

It's okay. And if the new main character doesn't work out expect them to bring back Kiryu.

They played it safe with that series for a full decade. I'm very cynical about whatever direction they take to make things different. It's basically Japanese Assassin's Creed, so that's why I say to keep your expectations low.

I’m pretty much ok with them just making iterative changes to it.

There’s not really anything else like it, and I like all the weirdness. It’s like the equivalent of comfort food.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #530 on: August 21, 2019, 02:29:12 AM »
Buying the fuck out of that physical collection in Feb

« Reply #531 on: August 22, 2019, 04:52:09 PM »
I finally got around to playing Isshin last year, I think I liked Kenzan better but still an awesome game.

On chapter 2 of Judgment and it's fun but really doesn't feel much different from the mainline games.

Kamurocho of the Dead is clever, by the way.

What was up with Nagoshi's teeth? Mouthguard? Veneers? Cause damn it just looked too good, almost inhuman.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 05:01:55 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #532 on: August 23, 2019, 08:47:17 AM »
Can't wait for Black Friday 2020 when the whole set is $20 :jeb

This is supposedly a "limited print run," so it may end up selling out and getting scalper resale mark-ups.
ど助平

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #533 on: August 23, 2019, 09:35:47 AM »
Can't wait for Black Friday 2020 when the whole set is $20 :jeb

This is supposedly a "limited print run," so it may end up selling out and getting scalper resale mark-ups.

And besides, RGG Studios deserves your full $60 you cheap fuck  :rage

But seriously, a "day one edition" for a limited print run? That implies there might be a subsequent "standard" run but who knows with gamer marketing these days.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #534 on: August 23, 2019, 10:15:56 AM »
fat

kingv

« Reply #535 on: August 23, 2019, 12:53:19 PM »
$60 for all three is a great deal imo.

Himu

« Reply #536 on: August 29, 2019, 03:59:59 AM »
:jeb

I'm glad you're right. First time I've been excited for Yakuza in literally a decade.

The best part of being cynical is being wrong. :jeb Much better than expecting something and nothing good happens.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 04:05:52 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #537 on: August 29, 2019, 05:33:17 AM »
Yeah Yakuza 7 is full JRPG now.

And that's a good thing. At least now the combat will be engaging than smash square for like two minutes. :doge

/v/ is shitting itself in rage and I'm just like "maybe the game will be more engaging now? :yeshrug "

(I'm not a fan of Kiwami, as I said in the completion thread)

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #538 on: August 29, 2019, 07:38:01 AM »
Shit looks wack as fuck

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #539 on: August 29, 2019, 07:49:12 AM »
Shit looks wack as fuck

Dunno about this, yeah.  The goofy looking main character and it being turned into a JRPG is...uh...:mindblown  It's not that I mind them trying something different after so many Yakuza games, but why change it from action-based battles to turn-based ones?  This is the kind of thing I would have done in say, Judgment instead of the mainline series.

Even the enemies have goofy-ass names, lol.  But maybe it will be a lot of fun so am interested in seeing how it turns out. 
ど助平