Author Topic: DESTINY 2  (Read 75018 times)

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
Re: DESTINY 2
« Reply #180 on: September 08, 2017, 04:09:35 PM »
Ok cool thanks

What's the deal with the co-op in this game?

Last night I was leading a fireteam and couldn't pick the first adventure because someone in my party hadn't caught up to the rest of us. I had to make him leader so he could go talk to the guy in the church and check off the first mission. Before that, we couldn't even land in the Europe Zone with him because he had been told to land there by the lady at the Farm, but hadn't actually done it yet. What the fuck?

Is every mission like this? It's annoying that the missions seem to be gated by each individual's linear progress instead of just level or light level. Do we need to play through this game in perfect lockstep?

I get that they were embarrassed that their last game had no story but forcing everyone to experience this slightly-better story ins sequence at the expense of co-op convenience is bullshit.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #181 on: September 08, 2017, 04:14:36 PM »
The first few missions you have to play by yourself and then when you go to unlock a sub-class those have to be done solo.

Those were mostly the roadblocks I ran into trying to play it co-op

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #182 on: September 08, 2017, 04:38:52 PM »
Right, I am up to the part where I can play co op but playing co op is impossible if every person isn't up to exactly the same mission, even once they have unlocked co op. Is the whole game like that?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #183 on: September 08, 2017, 04:53:54 PM »
Yup, simple solution: play the campaign and everything is unlocked! Sweet!
fat

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #184 on: September 08, 2017, 05:08:38 PM »
Demi, buy me an XB1X and Destiny 2 so I can play with you.
serge

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #185 on: September 08, 2017, 06:29:29 PM »
Yup, simple solution: play the campaign and everything is unlocked! Sweet!

So I can't easily play with my friends until every single one of them has found the time to do that. Fucking stupid.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #186 on: September 08, 2017, 06:56:24 PM »
Stay mad, pussy
fat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #187 on: September 09, 2017, 11:38:58 AM »
I played through the intro today; it's already much better than D1. Look, a coherent story!

Graphics are stunning, too. They're not being held back by straddling a generation change this time.

Also kind of happy that Cayde-6 isn't the complete center of attention. As much as I like him, I'm happy they're letting the player star in the story, and not focusing on how cool some NPC is…  :doge

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #188 on: September 09, 2017, 12:01:09 PM »
281 light, nothing left for me beyond farming exotics or making a second character. Just gonna wait for reset and do what I can before wednesday
fat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #189 on: September 09, 2017, 12:21:58 PM »
281 light, nothing left for me beyond farming exotics or making a second character. Just gonna wait for reset and do what I can before wednesday

How many hours did the main campaign take to complete?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #190 on: September 09, 2017, 12:55:05 PM »
If you do nothing but story it should take you maybe 8 hours. It took me almost 3 days since I was doing side stuff over story.
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #191 on: September 09, 2017, 12:59:38 PM »
The clan feature is dogshit for small clans (say, a few friends), ok for middling clans (maybe 10+) and amazing for large clans. When they complete certain weekly tasks

- Win a crucible match
- Complete a nightfall
- Complete a raid
- Complete a Trials of Osiris the Nine ticket

Everyone in the clan gets an engram.

If you have nobody to play in a clan with, just join a casual large one (NeoGAF, Desitny Reddit, etc) and you get free rewards.
fat

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #192 on: September 10, 2017, 10:03:32 AM »
I just hit 20 and can start dumping my items into vendors to build faction rep. Should I do this now or is it better to wait until I'm higher light so I get better items for it? Or will waiting just result in me getting outdated items?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #193 on: September 10, 2017, 11:20:15 AM »
So far, despite disorientation at a bunch of stuff being moved in the menus, I'm digging this more than the original. I went from level 3 to 10 today, light is at 103 now? It's SO BIZARRE having vendors selling items that are still useful to my light level, and getting excited about Greens. I got my first Blue just as I was closing out tonight's session. Seems like there's no safe haven like the Tower used to be. All quest givers are in spots where it's possible to get ganked if I'm standing near a doorway or outside.

The story's more coherent than the first one, there's much less emphasis on Portentous Proper Nouns, and much more emphasis on the personality types of the main characters.

It's also REALLY NEAT-O that my character has been changed into a mute protagonist. I loved this in GTA III, and am happy to see it here: I prefer ascribing my own reasons behind my character's decisions. Oddly, my co-op partner was very unhappy with this decision, as he felt the body language in the cinematics was roughly equivalent. I disagree, and since the Ghost is a consistently present NPC, why not simply voice the writer's intentions through the Ghost, and let the player enjoy their own internal narrative?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #194 on: September 10, 2017, 04:21:16 PM »
The PVP is so bad, I just get frustrated over it. eSports ruining another franchise
fat

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #195 on: September 10, 2017, 07:08:36 PM »
Stay mad, pussy

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #196 on: September 10, 2017, 07:12:12 PM »
burn
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #197 on: September 10, 2017, 11:39:58 PM »
Farmed some exotic engrams, hit 284 power. Reset will bring some more chances for leveling before the raid drops wednesday
fat

FatalT

« Reply #200 on: September 11, 2017, 02:56:11 AM »
Can you stop? I was okay with you just talking about it but now you're posting pictures of your character and I see yellow gear and suddenly I start salivating and I can currently afford it...when I'm trying not to buy it. I'm even trying to stop myself from going to a Red Box to pick it up. STAHP! DEMI STAHP!

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #201 on: September 11, 2017, 04:26:33 AM »
The raid is gonna be so lit
fat

FatalT

« Reply #202 on: September 11, 2017, 09:13:15 AM »
I'm LITERALLY SHAKING that this showed up on my Facebook news feed (why I'm following Gamespot, I dunno) but in case you didn't know:

But when you do obtain an Engram, there are two key bits of information to be aware of.

The first is that there's no sense in holding onto Engrams, as their Power level is determined when they're dropped. In other words, grinding your level or Power up before decrypting an Engram won't have an effect on it. In fact, by waiting, you may end up finding that it's underpowered relative to your current gear, forcing you to waste materials to infuse it in order to bring its Power level up.

Better yet is what Destiny 2 project lead Mark Noseworthy confirmed on Twitter recently: You no longer have to equip your best gear when decrypting. The game automatically determines what your best possible loadout is and uses that figure when dictating the Power of an Engram. As a result, you're essentially free to use whatever gear you want--you're no longer impacting the strength of your drops by using a lower-level piece of gear you prefer.

Although that doesn't apply to "Luminous Engrams," whatever those are, which actually DO scale to your current level. So basically decrypt everything and don't worry about what your light level is when you're decrypting it unless it's a luminous engram.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/destiny-2-psa-dont-wait-to-decrypt-your-engrams-al/1100-6453188/

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #203 on: September 11, 2017, 09:18:51 AM »

Edit: Crap, beaten by Toku!

AdmiralViscen

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #205 on: September 11, 2017, 10:26:09 AM »
Just read Destiny Reddit, this kind of info is posted twenty times over.

Also none of this is new info for D1 vets, my bad! Welcome to Destiny!
fat

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #206 on: September 11, 2017, 10:28:20 AM »
In Destiny 1 you needed to equip your top gear before decrypting, now you just need to possess it

Mods didn't exist in this form at all

FatalT

« Reply #207 on: September 11, 2017, 10:39:53 AM »
Just read Destiny Reddit, this kind of info is posted twenty times over.

Also none of this is new info for D1 vets, my bad! Welcome to Destiny!

I'd been avoiding anything and everything related to Destiny 2 to avoid the temptation to buy it and here I am in this thread. Also, what the Admiral said:

In Destiny 1 you needed to equip your top gear before decrypting, now you just need to possess it

Mods didn't exist in this form at all

It's completely different now apparently.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #208 on: September 11, 2017, 10:44:13 AM »
It's not very different than D1, I still equip my highest light before decrypting engrams out of habit
fat

FatalT

« Reply #209 on: September 11, 2017, 11:01:09 AM »
It's not very different than D1, I still equip my highest light before decrypting engrams out of habit

The mods thing sounds like I'll be inspecting every piece of Legendary equipment I have to make sure there's no +X armor on there to mess up the light level. I don't even remember there being "mods" on armor or anything in Destiny 1. I'll probably still do the light level equipping as well because of all those hours spent with D1. Even downloading the dumb phone apps that could probably steal your account to use to move things out of the vault and onto whatever character you were playing so you always have the highest light level, then they decided to finally add that to the official app.

Sucks about PvP not being very good though from what you said because I enjoyed that the most. I never did a single Raid in Destiny 1 because I didn't have any friends to play with and was too lazy to join a community to get a group with.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #210 on: September 11, 2017, 11:05:59 AM »
Mods are their solution for being able to modify unique perks for gear without having to have 20 different pieces of gear for each roll.

In D1 you would have at least 6 pieces of armor (Legs for example) because of the roll on them, and sometimes you would have to use the ugly ones because they had the better roll (both in stats, and perks)

Mods let you change it up on the fly while keeping your favorite looking pieces of gear. The +5 light they add is just another dumb curve bungie added for people to scale over.
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #211 on: September 11, 2017, 11:10:06 AM »
Use DIM for moving items. Its trusted, and literally everyone who plays Destiny uses it. 100% safe.

https://destinyitemmanager.com/

Currently supports D2 as well.
fat

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #212 on: September 11, 2017, 11:37:38 AM »
Are mods consumable? Are they permanently applied to whatever you put it in? I have been hoarding then.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #213 on: September 11, 2017, 11:45:52 AM »
Yes they are consumable. You will get lots of mods from engrams. Sometimes purple, usually blue.

Eventually when you hit 280 light, you can convert blues to purples. Purples have the +5 modifier so this can be the edging point to get you to that next tier of gear.

Some drops from purple engram with a +5 mod installed, that's why the egnram will say for example 275 but drops at 280 instead.

Exotics have a +5 modifier by default when you get it.

Infusion can confuse people as well because of mods, you might discover that infusion a higher light item into a normal item causes that normal item to be -lower- than what your original piece was. This is because the item you were infusing did NOT have a mod installed.
fat

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #214 on: September 11, 2017, 02:23:47 PM »
First bright engram and I got the Ramen exotic emote a couple of days ago.

Fun spamming that shit after public events and whatnot. Been shot in the face by other players soo many times.
___

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #215 on: September 11, 2017, 07:20:23 PM »
Yes they are consumable. You will get lots of mods from engrams. Sometimes purple, usually blue.

Eventually when you hit 280 light, you can convert blues to purples. Purples have the +5 modifier so this can be the edging point to get you to that next tier of gear.

Some drops from purple engram with a +5 mod installed, that's why the egnram will say for example 275 but drops at 280 instead.

Exotics have a +5 modifier by default when you get it.

Infusion can confuse people as well because of mods, you might discover that infusion a higher light item into a normal item causes that normal item to be -lower- than what your original piece was. This is because the item you were infusing did NOT have a mod installed.

Good to know. I"m guessing only one +5 can be on at a time right

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #216 on: September 11, 2017, 07:55:03 PM »
___

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #217 on: September 11, 2017, 08:03:11 PM »
https://twitter.com/bradshoemaker/status/905947586850410497

OH MAH GAWD. THAT WAS ALL OF THEM.

It's double-bad-ass that they actually have an AI reaction for a team-kill. Holy shit.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #218 on: September 12, 2017, 02:34:20 PM »
so has any mmo site or player done an extensive writeup of this yet?
pcp

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #219 on: September 12, 2017, 06:25:38 PM »
Did any of you guys have the white supremacist gauntlets before they were removed

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1432085

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #220 on: September 12, 2017, 06:30:12 PM »
holy shit that's blatant. fuck everyone on the team who let it through
pcp

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #221 on: September 12, 2017, 09:28:55 PM »
holy shit that's blatant. fuck everyone on the team who let it through

Seriously? What about all the middle-aged know-nothings who haven't acquainted themselves with all the symbology of current white supremacists?

If anything, I'd have thought that was "kekekekekek," the old Korean "LOL" analog.

It  /does/ seem like someone in QA should have noticed it, though.  :-\

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #222 on: September 12, 2017, 09:40:19 PM »
yeah I'm cranky lately and ranting about everything so please don't put too much stock in what I say. still, odds are there's more than a few people in the companies working on this that are channers. if i was management (lol) I'd be pissed that someone was so bold to try and pull this off.
pcp

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #223 on: September 12, 2017, 09:58:09 PM »
:lol

Yeah, no worries. I was trying to dis myself as a "middle-age know-nothing," so let's just hold hands and cuddle.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #224 on: September 13, 2017, 01:37:46 AM »
I thought the same as you Chrono, wtf, why do white supremacists get to appropriate old memes?
◕‿◕

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #225 on: September 13, 2017, 07:42:28 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41253614

Care to explain, Destiny fans?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:rofl
[close]

edit: welp, I'm late :stahp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #226 on: September 13, 2017, 08:42:41 AM »
More millenial wrist flapping over nothing

Did the Prestige Nightfall (300 light recommended) at 288 with only literally a few seconds to spare.

You get this goofy aura and an emblem basically - definitely not worth it, just do the regular nightfall instead. Unless you want that crispy 120 pt achievement

Clip (not my perspective): http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/KWEY516/video/36352006

Goofy aura:

fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #227 on: September 14, 2017, 03:27:16 AM »
The raid.... Isnt good. Holy jesus they need to redo this quick.
fat

TVC15

« Reply #228 on: September 14, 2017, 03:46:34 AM »
I just hit 20. Stupid question, but should I keep all my equipped shit as legendary? I'm getting rare and uncommon stuff with better stats, but I'm not sure if I should be wasting infusions.
serge

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #229 on: September 14, 2017, 10:47:35 AM »
The raid.... Isnt good. Holy jesus they need to redo this quick.

expand babe

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #230 on: September 14, 2017, 11:55:00 AM »
I never finished last night, only on the second encounter.

But:

- The raid environment itself is amazing. Place is huge, music is epic, and Calus actually talks to you (albeit briefly). It's very Caligula (and has fat naked cabal men attack you)

- The loot is dogshit and nonexistent - because.....
- You get TOKENS instead
- To use those TOKENS you have to BEAT the raid, so unless you ever complete it, you arent getting any raid gear
- BUT, if youre in a clan that DOES clear it, you get a raid engram for doing absolutely fucking nothing, and it is assumed now that Trials will work the same way
- When you complete an encounter, you get a "key" that you can use to open a chest located in the maze-like labyrinth (a "secret" side-area that acts as a backdoor to each encounter room). When you find one, and we found ours, you get a GENERIC PURPLE ENGRAM AND MORE TOKENS NO RAID GEAR WTF

- ZERO bosses, except the final fight. Every encounter is a gimmick encounter. The first one (baths) is basically Totems 2.0. The second encounter that broke our spirits is the gardens which is basically Gorgons 2.0 but with even worse pathing logic and bugs galore with being caught. The third encounter is different but again, not a boss fight.
- When you complete an encounter room, you go back to the main "hub" to go to the next room, and they make you do this dumb public event encounter. So you have to do this about 3-4 times across the whole raid.
- The final fight literally REQUIRES A MIC because you have to call out a symbol that ONLY YOU CAN SEE [not a complaint, but leading up to....]

Friendly reminder that people actually want matchmaking for Raids LMAO
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #231 on: September 14, 2017, 12:11:00 PM »
:| I'll still defend raid matchmaking because it's fine as long as you go in with the right expectations. if you think of it as a learning party where you read up on what you're supposed to expect and you're willing to help others learn and wait out their fuck-ups, then it's fine. there's no reason to expect perfection, and if you want that then when would you run it with a pug anyway?? it's an easy way for more of the playerbase to feel included ("I can try it but I can't beat it" goes over a lot better than "I can't play it bc there's too much bullshit involved in getting it set up"), and it raises the skill of your playerbase by introducing them to new mechanics that can then be implemented in more forgiving mandatory content later on.

anyways, the mic part sounds stupid and a knock against them for excluding text chat.
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #232 on: September 14, 2017, 12:54:10 PM »
Another thing I didnt mention was the revive mechanic got changed too:

- When a player dies, you have 30 seconds to revive or you wipe. Oh, your teammate somehow wound up out of reach and you cant get them? RIP
- Each player gets a single revive token. When you revive someone, you can not revive anyone for the remainder of that run. (It resets when you wipe, however)
fat

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #233 on: September 14, 2017, 02:24:17 PM »
Man, im so glad i did not buy this. Generic mmo shit aside at least the raids had some sort of novelty in Destiny.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #234 on: September 14, 2017, 06:13:04 PM »
Man, im so glad i did not buy this. Generic mmo shit aside at least the raids had some sort of novelty in Destiny.

It's a fun game.

Raids sound horrible, but I never did them in the original, either.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #235 on: September 14, 2017, 06:44:52 PM »
Raids were great in D1. Still are.
fat

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #236 on: September 14, 2017, 07:30:14 PM »
Why do meditations require the entire fire team to pick the same one? The forced single player shit in this game is annoying as fuck

TVC15

« Reply #238 on: September 15, 2017, 05:26:19 PM »
Plz how do I get legendaries. Will handjob for help. Do I just keep using shittier loot with better stats to infuse?
serge

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #239 on: September 15, 2017, 05:28:31 PM »
Yea. Or just have it in your inventory, counts the same for getting higher level stuff. It doesn't take that long before you start getting exotics. You start getting them as standard rewards for later game activities also.