Author Topic: #latestagecapitalism  (Read 360041 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: #latestagecapitalism
« Reply #2220 on: January 06, 2020, 11:41:46 PM »
*No poor people or homeless allowed

**Not available in Central America, South America, some parts of Asia, or Africa
dog

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #2221 on: January 06, 2020, 11:50:32 PM »

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #2222 on: January 07, 2020, 02:07:53 AM »
Trying to picture the elevator pitch for that, something like, "What if it were Toyotathon every day? What if your neighborhood *was* a Toyotathon?"

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #2223 on: January 07, 2020, 02:09:55 AM »
For the design of Woven City, Toyota has commissioned Danish architect, Bjarke Ingels, CEO, Bjarke Ingels Group (BIG). His team at BIG have designed many high-profile projects: from 2 World Trade Center in New York and Lego House in Denmark, to Google’s Mountain View and London headquarters.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #2224 on: January 07, 2020, 07:12:39 PM »
The masterplan of the city includes the designations for street usage into three types: for faster vehicles only, for a mix of lower speed, personal mobility and pedestrians, and for a park-like promenade for pedestrians only.  These three street types weave together to form an organic grid pattern to help accelerate the testing of autonomy.
If there's a master plan, how is grid "organic"? What they should really do is build the city with no streets at all and wait for dirt paths to form - then pave over the dirt. I've got a story about Michigan State if anyone wants to hear it.

Toyota plans to weave in the outdoors throughout the city, with native vegetation and hydroponics.
Hydroponics has a notoriously bad runoff problem that pollutes the environment. "Weaving" this through the city would be a major health issue and perhaps even a cancer risk.

autonomous Toyota e-Palettes
This is an abuse of the "e-" prefix.

why is there a fog machine
每天生气

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2225 on: January 08, 2020, 03:34:08 PM »
why is there a fog machine
Harder to target in case the US wants to bomb it.

We did it fam
🤴

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #2226 on: January 08, 2020, 05:24:52 PM »

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #2227 on: January 08, 2020, 05:28:39 PM »
I take it Esch has Nintex blocked  :lol :lol :lol

shosta

« Reply #2228 on: January 08, 2020, 05:34:27 PM »
Who doesn't have nintex blocked at this point?
每天生气

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #2229 on: January 08, 2020, 05:35:15 PM »
Current count: atleast 6 people

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #2230 on: January 08, 2020, 09:42:44 PM »
venture capitalist buzzing nuisance aside, that backlash (response) is excessive
she wants to enjoy having a backyard to play around with her dog in peace but can't afford it, can't see an issue

bio says reporter in toronto so I'm not seeing rich villain here

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #2231 on: January 08, 2020, 09:46:38 PM »
There's no dog parks in Toronto?

bluemax

« Reply #2232 on: January 08, 2020, 11:50:12 PM »
NO

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #2233 on: January 09, 2020, 03:39:08 AM »

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #2235 on: January 09, 2020, 12:45:59 PM »
There's no dog parks in Toronto?

I have one across from my apartment and my work, sadly no dog.

Some people have dogs that don't get along with other dogs. She said she also wanted to do a "summer workout." Maybe she just wants a quiet, private green space, and it's not just about avoiding dirty poors.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 01:16:00 PM by Flannel Boy »

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #2236 on: January 09, 2020, 01:15:43 PM »
Related:
The average price of detached house in Toronto (this includes Scarborough, North York, the old city of Toronto, etc.) is $1,363,357. The average condo price is $656,233.

In 2015, the median total income of individuals age 15 and older in Toronto was $30,089. In 2015, the median total household income in Toronto was $65,829. Yes, those figures are higher now, but not by much.

Toronto is dysfunctional.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #2237 on: January 09, 2020, 02:54:44 PM »
crushing the poors with capitalism but woke  8)

https://twitter.com/Imani_Barbarin/status/1214365201920876544

shosta

« Reply #2238 on: January 09, 2020, 03:42:46 PM »

Company scrip :lawd
每天生气

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2239 on: January 09, 2020, 04:00:48 PM »

Company scrip :lawd

If it can be redeemed for Baja Blast, I can see the potential.
©@©™

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #2241 on: January 10, 2020, 01:25:19 PM »
tbf she probably ordered enough food that he'd break his back trying to carry it upstairs :doge

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2242 on: January 10, 2020, 05:42:46 PM »
I've got at least 2 dog parks within 4 blocks of my place.  There are a lot in Toronto.

Related:
The average price of detached house in Toronto (this includes Scarborough, North York, the old city of Toronto, etc.) is $1,363,357. The average condo price is $656,233.

In 2015, the median total income of individuals age 15 and older in Toronto was $30,089. In 2015, the median total household income in Toronto was $65,829. Yes, those figures are higher now, but not by much.

I'm going to be living in my 1 room rent-controlled appartment until I die or get kicked out. 

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #2243 on: January 10, 2020, 06:28:12 PM »
I've got at least 2 dog parks within 4 blocks of my place.  There are a lot in Toronto.

Related:

I'm going to be living in my 1 room rent-controlled appartment until I die or get kicked out.

What area in Toronto? PM me if you don't want Benji to dox you.

We had to leave our rent-controlled apartment in exchange for a five-figure settlement (just barely). I felt bad about it, but months later everyone was renovicted anyway for a quarter of what we received.

Now we're paying nearly $3k a month to live in a shoebox. cancry

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2244 on: January 10, 2020, 06:31:58 PM »
Cabbage Town on Parliament.  1070$ + hydro for me.  But it is literally a small one-room place.  Also, this year was the first time my landlord raised rent after having lived here 5-6 years now I think, so that helps a lot. 

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #2245 on: January 10, 2020, 06:33:35 PM »

shosta

« Reply #2246 on: January 10, 2020, 10:31:03 PM »
Instagram deleted a post by Iranian journalist Emadeddin Baghi, a critic of Iran's government, who had nevertheless wrote Soleimani's killing was "contrary to the principles of international law.”

Instagram says: "it was complying with US sanctions law."
:phil
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #2247 on: January 10, 2020, 10:42:35 PM »
It's because the Revolutionary Guard is a designated terrorist organization and you can't express support for terrorist organizations, even if it's just to point out that an assassination is in violation of international laws.
每天生气

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2248 on: January 11, 2020, 12:30:13 AM »
©@©™

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2251 on: January 13, 2020, 06:50:15 PM »
🤴

bluemax

« Reply #2253 on: January 17, 2020, 09:54:06 PM »
NO

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #2254 on: January 17, 2020, 11:09:00 PM »
Until self-driving cars are allowed to go through the city streets without a driver, there's no way these companies would make a profit. What I don't understand is why investors are throwing money at this industry when they're 10-15 years away from making a profit. They have no real business model and it's just an investor Ponzi scheme that looks like it works because it exploits the workers so much.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2255 on: January 17, 2020, 11:52:01 PM »
Yeah, these "gig economy" jobs just seem like the biggest scam of all time.
dog

Kara

« Reply #2256 on: January 18, 2020, 12:54:43 PM »
It's helpful to think of present day tech investment as a symptom of capital strike and wealth inequality.

Kara

« Reply #2257 on: January 19, 2020, 05:53:04 PM »

bluemax

« Reply #2259 on: January 19, 2020, 10:14:14 PM »
The housing and rent situation in the major cities in this country is so fucked. I know people claim rent control will help but my understanding is that the one thing you can get economists to agree on is that rent control doesn't help, so yeah. Obviously the tech bros in SF want everything to be automated so they can avoid the poors but that isn't close to being a reality. It's all so untenable with no real solution in sight.
NO

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2260 on: January 19, 2020, 10:20:22 PM »
I honestly don't trust economists on rent control.

shosta

« Reply #2261 on: January 19, 2020, 11:30:59 PM »
Meanwhile, China's home ownership rate is 90%. #DengShui
每天生气

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #2262 on: January 20, 2020, 03:12:43 PM »
https://www.thestar.com/business/2020/01/15/men-living-in-toronto-havent-seen-their-wages-increase-since-2000-according-to-new-statcan-study.html?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=SocialMedia&utm_campaign=1100am&utm_campaign_id=Business&utm_content=men-living-in-toronto-havent-seen-their-wages-increase-since-2000-according-to-new-statcan-study

Wages for men were hit particularly hard, especially in cities that bore the brunt of the decline in manufacturing jobs, such as Toronto, Oshawa and Windsor. Between 2000 and 2015, men’s wages were flat or in decline in those cities

Note: during that time, the price of a detached home roughly tripled in Toronto.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #2263 on: January 20, 2020, 05:53:49 PM »
If wages are flat/declining for men and mostly the same for women, why is the bidding going up on housing? Speculators?

shosta

« Reply #2264 on: January 20, 2020, 05:59:08 PM »
1) It's not flat for everybody
2) Supply has not kept up with population growth

Contrary to popular belief, neither speculation nor "financialization" can consistently drive the prices up. I don't think the vacancy rate has significantly changed for years.
每天生气

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #2265 on: January 20, 2020, 06:43:23 PM »
Foreign investors are not constrained by local wages.
Wages have gone up for the rich, many of whom own investment properties in addition to their primary residences.
Interest rates are low.
Tens of thousands come into the city and an equal amount of supply is not and cannot be built (in the case is detached housing). What is being built is shitty one-bedroom condos unsuitable for family formation.
Baby-boomers are not downgrading at the same rate as previous generations.
Purpose built rental units haven’t been built much since the 1970s (economists would point to modern rent control laws from 1975).
Canada is a great place to launder money.

Kara

« Reply #2266 on: January 20, 2020, 09:31:40 PM »

They have this assumption that the state can only do rent control instead of rent control in conjunction with building high density housing, investigating / prosecuting international money laundering, expropriating slumlords or absentee landlords, et cetera. It's unlikely to be a panacea on its own, at least after decades of neglect.

tbf to the court philosophers that is the likely outcome when so much subnational political power has been captured by developers and (in Anglo North America) the voting bloc that arose from postwar policies.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #2267 on: January 22, 2020, 02:35:46 PM »

They have this assumption that the state can only do rent control instead of rent control in conjunction with building high density housing, investigating / prosecuting international money laundering, expropriating slumlords or absentee landlords, et cetera. It's unlikely to be a panacea on its own, at least after decades of neglect.

I don't have a strong opinion on this, but why must policy A be combined with policies B, C, and D, which are not logically connected (D is somewhat logically connected I suppose), to discover whether enacting policy A creates shortages of affordable housing?
I imagine if an economist is going to do an empirical study on rent control, then that's the variable they're going to look at.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2268 on: January 22, 2020, 02:45:31 PM »
Sorry how is building high density housing not logically connect to rent control?

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #2269 on: January 22, 2020, 02:49:01 PM »
Sorry how is building high density housing not logically connect to rent control?

I read it as the state building high-density housing. The state can build high density housing whether or not there is rent control on private rentals.

If Kara means the market is building this high-density housing, how is this a policy? It is an effect of policy.

shosta

« Reply #2270 on: January 22, 2020, 02:58:57 PM »
There's no dispute that rent control causes shortages so it doesn't need to be studied. Kara's point is that rent control is maligned on that basis alone without acknowledging that there are policy combinations which include rent control and can still have a positive effect on housing.
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2271 on: January 22, 2020, 03:04:40 PM »
The state can build high density housing whether or not there is rent control on private rentals, but a workable policy of rent control can not be done without state building is what I got from Karas post.  So it's not about economists testing for the effect given current policies it's about them not even testing potential policies and thus their effects due to bad assumptions. 

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #2272 on: January 22, 2020, 04:15:19 PM »
There's no dispute that rent control causes shortages so it doesn't need to be studied. Kara's point is that rent control is maligned on that basis alone without acknowledging that there are policy combinations which include rent control and can still have a positive effect on housing.

But, again, those policy combinations do not require rent control. The question would then be which creates more affordable housing: rent control plus those policy combinations or those policy combinations without rent control?

The state can build high density housing whether or not there is rent control on private rentals, but a workable policy of rent control can not be done without state building is what I got from Karas post. So it's not about economists testing for the effect given current policies it's about them not even testing potential policies and thus their effects due to bad assumptions.

If you are right, that simply means that building public/social housing is necessary to make rent control workable (and obviously social housing itself needs rent control). It doesn't mean that a policy of rent control is preferable to a policy of no rent control.

What are these assumptions? That no other housing policies exist?

shosta

« Reply #2273 on: January 22, 2020, 05:27:32 PM »
But, again, those policy combinations do not require rent control. The question would then be which creates more affordable housing: rent control plus those policy combinations or those policy combinations without rent control?
You're missing the temporal aspect here. The question isn't which housing policy produces the most affordable housing. A supply shortage's one and only solution is investment in supply (with the government helping that along or not). But development can only go so fast and so rent controls prevent the renters from being bled dry in the meantime. Even in situations where rent isn't intolerably high, rent control laws are a safeguard that can prevent a sudden migration boom from adversely affecting lower class rents while development catches up.

Edit: I have an obligation here I think to elaborate on that final sentence because clearly rent control laws could prolong that catch-up period... but this dovetails quite nicely with Kara's point and your question about why the state has to be involved in the building. Since investors have no idea where to build (because the profit rate is arbitrarily equalized between municipalities), the state has to step in to receive complaints about shortages or analyze vacancy rates. It could then either subsidize building costs in impacted cities (the market solution) or it can simply build its own housing (the public housing solution). Thus even in the market case the state has a central role to play.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 06:04:53 PM by shosta »
每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #2274 on: January 23, 2020, 03:15:55 AM »

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #2275 on: January 23, 2020, 06:03:45 PM »

OnlyRegret