Author Topic: Dragon Quest XI  (Read 44455 times)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
No 3DS version is surprising.

with this announcement its guaranteed to get a fan translation. i wouldnt even worry
fat

Psyched. My daughter has become hooked on DQ recently with Builders, she's so excited to play through XI with me.

IGN says Switch version is coming "much later"

Like 2019 much later. Wonder what's going on with the porting process.

As for the Switch version, things are slightly less clear. "We are also developing the Switch version for Europe and North America," reads Square Enix's statement, "but development is expected to take a long time from a technological standpoint as well, so we still have a long way to go until its release".
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 12:01:48 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
What if the Switch version was just the 3DS version?
©@©™

What if the Switch version was just the 3DS version?

If that's the case and they're talking about technological issues, then the devs are idiots. I'm guessing they're struggling to port the UE4/PS4 version over with some sort of fidelity.
野球

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
Re: Dragon Quest XI Officially announced for US (Sept 4, 2018 - PS4/PC)
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2018, 03:56:00 PM »
Bummed about the no 3DS version. But my wife just finished DQVIII two days ago so we're excited.
que

paprikastaude

« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2018, 04:03:17 PM »
The 3DS version looked interesting for the dual screen dynamic, but then they said that the actual simultaneous pixel/polygon dual display would only be for like the intro chapter, so w/e.

Fifstar

« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2018, 05:17:52 PM »
Pretty bummed that the Switch version is so late. Just don't have the time at my PC to play a long DQ game. DQ VIII is a personal top 3 game so waiting hurts.

I guess porting the PS4 version needs a lot of work because a port with a low Res and FPS wouldn't fit the series. Still, they had a lot of time already to rework assets. Guess it was their last priority.
Gulp

« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2018, 05:30:20 PM »
Pretty bummed that the Switch version is so late. Just don't have the time at my PC to play a long DQ game. DQ VIII is a personal top 3 game so waiting hurts.

I guess porting the PS4 version needs a lot of work because a port with a low Res and FPS wouldn't fit the series. Still, they had a lot of time already to rework assets. Guess it was their last priority.

Sounds like the Switch version didn't get started until after the PS4 and 3DS versions were released in Japan. So they've been at it, what, ~10 months now? The fact that they're so tight lipped and unwilling to show anything from it makes me feel like it's a mess.
野球

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2018, 07:26:31 PM »
Disappointed in no 3DS version but what can ya do? Maybe Nintendo is publishing that one and that's why we haven't heard anything yet.
^_^

bluemax

PC version is more surprising.

It's UE4, that's not really that surprising.
NO

Fifstar

« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2018, 06:11:46 AM »

Sounds like the Switch version didn't get started until after the PS4 and 3DS versions were released in Japan. So they've been at it, what, ~10 months now? The fact that they're so tight lipped and unwilling to show anything from it makes me feel like it's a mess.

Yeah, that what I was thinking. Maybe they couldn't get satisfying scaled down version of the PS4 version done and changed their plans. Some kind of 3DS version redone in UE4 maybe.

Anyway, sucks that the western versions won't get the Orchestral Soundtrack. Voiceover also sounds bland compared to the fantastic (if a bit divisive) VO of the PS2 DQ VIII. Steam version probably will at least get modded to use the orchestral soundtrack...
Gulp

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2018, 07:27:01 AM »
Disappointed in no 3DS version but what can ya do? Maybe Nintendo is publishing that one and that's why we haven't heard anything yet.

Buy a GPD WIN 2 and play the PC version on the go.
ど助平

« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2018, 11:19:01 AM »

Yeah, that what I was thinking. Maybe they couldn't get satisfying scaled down version of the PS4 version done and changed their plans. Some kind of 3DS version redone in UE4 maybe.

Anyway, sucks that the NO VERSION will get the Orchestral Soundtrack. Voiceover also sounds bland compared to the fantastic (if a bit divisive) VO of the PS2 DQ VIII. Steam version probably will at least get modded to use the orchestral soundtrack...

That's all on Sugiyama. Dude is crazy.

I didn't think the VO was that bad, and we were only shown a few scenes. I will say that that some of those cutscenes with just text you have to read would be really stupid.
野球

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2018, 06:14:47 PM »

Buy a GPD WIN 2 and play the PC version on the go.

I want to play the 3DS version due to the bonus content that references old DQ games and the 2D mode... PC version is just a port of the PS4 version.
^_^

« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2018, 11:38:06 AM »
I can't imagine playing the same game twice, even if it looks different. So much time.
野球

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2018, 11:47:47 AM »
I can't imagine playing the same game twice, even if it looks different. So much time.

I thought the whole point was that you could do a cross-save kind of thing using a password system?
ど助平

Bulleta©™®

• is probably playing some game
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2018, 05:59:50 AM »
This game is so fucking long, I've got over 200 hours on JP Ps4 version and haven't finished.
MARTINA FTW

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2018, 08:27:10 AM »
over 200 hours on JP Ps4 version and haven't finished.

:crazy

I probably shouldn't buy this.  :P
ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2018, 09:19:35 AM »
Hey developers, remember when Chrono Trigger was 20 hours long and still more varied and complete than your 50-200 hour clumps :doge Apparently not.

« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2018, 10:00:10 PM »
This game is so fucking long, I've got over 200 hours on JP Ps4 version and haven't finished.
MARTINA FTW

How much of that was spent on the main storyline and how much was spent on obsessive compulsive JRPG bullshit?
野球

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2018, 02:08:34 PM »
Hey developers, remember when Chrono Trigger was 20 hours long and still more varied and complete than your 50-200 hour clumps :doge Apparently not.

If a game can keep my attention for 50+ hours, more power to it, personally. Don't have a problem with long games unless they get bogged down too much in repetition and grinding.
^_^

paprikastaude

« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2018, 06:07:38 AM »
:trumps
Depends on the climate. During last gen it was refreshing when I could spent two afternoons on something like Xenoblade and not be nearly finished like for most other titles I bought at that time. Now everything from God of War to Gravity Rush gets bloated to the max, so I appreciate and want more well paced and focused games like Cuphead and Bloodborne - which I might actually replay too, since they don't take a month to finish.

bluemax

« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2018, 03:11:07 AM »
I got a pretty rad shirt for standing in line to play the demo for this at E3.

DQ9 felt like the first DQ game with a ton of stuff that just padded the game length. 8 had the monster coins and overworld chests which I guess were slight filler content. DQ7 was super long even without ever touching the side content.
NO

« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2018, 12:26:43 PM »
Next week!!!

:rock
野球

Freyj

« Reply #84 on: August 27, 2018, 02:51:48 PM »
Excited to be a dumbass and buy Mon Hun Switch and then drop it for this a week later.

Bebpo

« Reply #85 on: August 28, 2018, 02:35:41 AM »
It's cool there's a PC version. PS4 version is solid but has some major graphical issues with the way the motion blur is used. If the PC version can fix it, it'll look amazing. The assets are really good.

I got distracted about midway through the game so I might just restart it on PC. Bulleta's 200 hour thing is talking about the usually post-game DQ grind. The main game is like 60-80 hours from everything I've read and it seemed like I was about halfway at 30ish hours.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #86 on: August 28, 2018, 02:45:15 AM »
MARTINA FTW

After Persona 5, I've had enough of these  :yuck

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #87 on: August 28, 2018, 09:07:45 AM »
Your loss, bye
fat

Himu

« Reply #88 on: August 28, 2018, 09:49:07 AM »
Fuck. It’s long? Ugh.
IYKYK

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #89 on: August 28, 2018, 10:07:13 AM »
IIRC Bulleta is known for minmaxing and doing everything she can possibly do in the game. Coworker told me he took 45h to beat the 3ds version, not sure if the PS4 version is longer due to larger environments, more load times, what have you...
^_^

Himu

« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2018, 10:12:30 AM »
Ok
IYKYK

« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2018, 11:13:47 AM »
野球

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: August 28, 2018, 11:15:38 AM »
Tim Rogers is such a fucking weeb. :lol
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: August 28, 2018, 11:18:43 AM »
But so am I, so :rejoice
©@©™

« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2018, 11:49:13 AM »
I initially started the review and stopped it after like five seconds due to the cringe. But then I gave it another chance and listened/watched while I did other things. Man was that great.
野球

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #95 on: August 28, 2018, 12:06:17 PM »
i watched Tim Rodgers livestreaming shenmue the other day and my face nearly caved in from cringeface. so much earnesty
pcp

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #96 on: August 28, 2018, 12:35:32 PM »
This resembles his actionbutton.net reviews so much. He's such a goddamned weirdo. :lol

i watched Tim Rodgers livestreaming shenmue the other day and my face nearly caved in from cringeface. so much earnesty
Earnesty might be better than the obnoxious CAPSLOCK IRONY, LOL; REFERENCE, LOL that led to me dropping the Insert Credit podcast.

« Reply #97 on: August 28, 2018, 12:44:02 PM »
I liked the combination of earnest and self-deprecating. Sometimes you just gotta own it. Plus if you're willing to stick it out he raises some good points about Dragon Quest, turn-based JRPGs and the blacklash to them in the west.
野球

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #98 on: August 28, 2018, 12:51:06 PM »
Yeah, I don't dislike his stuff at all. Used to read every Actionbutton review of his. I just suspect that he puts a lot more editing work into his writing than you would assume by the rambling nature of it.

Himu

« Reply #99 on: August 28, 2018, 02:35:12 PM »
Thank God J. shreier didn’t review it.
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #100 on: August 28, 2018, 05:01:51 PM »
funny shtick, maybe kotaku isn't complete trash after all.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #101 on: August 28, 2018, 08:56:48 PM »
Your loss, bye

No, I bought it anyway  :goldberg

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #102 on: August 28, 2018, 11:56:32 PM »
The Tim Rogers video was way more on topic than I expected, considering his Insertcredit reviews where he'd veer entirely offtopic for 90% of it and talk about imaginary meetings with famous Japanese game designers and musicians. Anyways, watched his review and the Happy Console Gamer's... so insanely hyped for this! With Alliance Alive, Octopath, and now this, it's been a great year for turn-based RPGs (if only we got Cold Steel 3)!

Myself and my friends who are into DQ have been around since the original. I do wonder what it's like for someone new to the series, since the charms of it take a while to open up (what most American reviewers never quite understood about the series).

And IGN docking points because of bunny girls and puff puffs (a staple of the series), some real  :exxy :exxy :exxy going on there
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 12:03:19 AM by tiesto »
^_^

Himu

« Reply #103 on: August 29, 2018, 12:14:20 AM »
Va va  voom!
IYKYK

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2018, 10:18:44 AM »
I was invited into a girl’s dim bedroom where I received a puff-puff in a dim room, and when the lights came back on, her father was standing there. She revealed that he’d delivered the puff-puff in the dark. The consent implications troubled me.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2018, 11:29:09 AM »
Wish this was out this weekend.
©@©™

archie4208

« Reply #106 on: August 29, 2018, 11:51:05 AM »
I hope the PC port doesn't suck like Nier Automata.  :fbm

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #107 on: August 29, 2018, 12:06:39 PM »
Made with UE4. I'm, perhaps naively, assuming that alone makes it more difficult to accidentally fuck something up.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 04:53:49 PM by Rufus »

« Reply #108 on: August 29, 2018, 04:38:36 PM »
All the reviews have been for the PS4 version, nothing about the PC version until release day. I'm guessing that's not encouraging?
野球

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #109 on: August 30, 2018, 11:01:41 AM »
I need this

bluemax

« Reply #110 on: August 31, 2018, 01:17:02 AM »

Same, if it was early next weekend I'd probably call the store that breaks street dates in my neighborhood and then spend Friday-Monday playing this game like a degenerate.
NO

bluemax

« Reply #111 on: September 01, 2018, 02:33:05 AM »

Same, if it was early next weekend I'd probably call the store that breaks street dates in my neighborhood and then spend Friday-Monday playing this game like a degenerate.

So I derped. I called the local game store and managed to get the last non pre-order copy they had. Gonna be Dragon Questing all weekend.
NO

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #112 on: September 03, 2018, 02:46:27 AM »
This isnt the MMO one right?

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #113 on: September 03, 2018, 04:25:56 AM »
That was 10.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #114 on: September 03, 2018, 12:53:22 PM »
This is real-ass, turn-based Dragon Quest on a console. :rejoice
©@©™

bluemax

« Reply #115 on: September 04, 2018, 02:54:37 AM »
Put in 25 hours over the weekend, about the only thing I don't like are the collection points (mostly how they are hard to see sometimes) and miniquests that rely upon getting a bunch of characters into a random powered up state.

The main quest and gameplay are aces though.
NO

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #116 on: September 04, 2018, 11:59:17 AM »
Do we know how this is on PC yet? 
ど助平

« Reply #117 on: September 04, 2018, 12:07:49 PM »

I think it released seven minutes ago on Steam. Should hear more info soon.
野球

archie4208

« Reply #118 on: September 04, 2018, 12:49:34 PM »
Runs like a dream on my i5-660k and 970.  Easy 1080p/60FPS at max settings.

Edit: Actually I slightly rescind my statement.  There are some framerate drops, but they're not common.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 01:00:12 PM by archie4208 »

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #119 on: September 04, 2018, 01:35:48 PM »
Welcome to the future :rejoice

:9