Author Topic: Maybe the real NeoGAF was the friends we made along the way...  (Read 2179424 times)

Anime Avatar

Re: TheBore Safe Haven from GAF Alt-Right Mods - Evilore? I don't know her.
« Reply #9000 on: October 23, 2017, 12:51:01 PM »
Nibel always seemed like an asshole to me. Zhuge is alright and knows what he's talking about for the most part. Shinobi is a shill

Stormhammer

« Reply #9001 on: October 23, 2017, 12:51:26 PM »
i was mostly in gaf to gauge reactions

i don't even know who the fuck opiate is

Same. He seems like a nice guy on here but everyone keeps rinsing him lel.

Former GAF mod who was demodded for his views on pedophilia. Some of his views really make you scratch your head.

i feel like he also was linked to some website with photography of kids posing in questionable positions? i think there was a thread on that

goat

« Reply #9002 on: October 23, 2017, 12:52:40 PM »
As a long time lurker, both here and NeoGAF (500 some posts since 2004 and 1 post here since 2006), I'd like to thank fistfull for summing up my thoughts on what people like me used GAF for. Reading reactions and viewing fast moving threads as a good way to pass the time. I'll miss it.

Himu

« Reply #9003 on: October 23, 2017, 12:53:23 PM »
Holy shit, Jim threw neogaf in the trash. :lawd
IYKYK

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #9004 on: October 23, 2017, 12:53:30 PM »

Former GAF mod who was demodded for his views on pedophilia. Some of his views really make you scratch your head.

i feel like he also was linked to some website with photography of kids posing in questionable positions? i think there was a thread on that

Yeah there was a Flickr account with some really weird pictures of kids modeling in it that had a username that linked back to Opiate. He came in here yesterday and said he's never even visited Flickr. If I was into diddling kids, I know I wouldn't use Flickr of all places to store my pics.

jiji

« Reply #9005 on: October 23, 2017, 12:54:23 PM »
Seeing people defend Evilore's actions using the same logic that led them to hate the way GAF's politics swung in the last few years  :neogaf
OTL

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

EightBitNate

« Reply #9007 on: October 23, 2017, 12:56:01 PM »
http://slaent.com/thread/1232086/page/138/post/1249388/

Benji is :umad :trigger

Was Benji the one who got banned for saying the Cavs would beat Golden State or something?

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #9008 on: October 23, 2017, 12:56:03 PM »
Didn't like Opiate at all, he was one of those guys that thought that he was a step above everyone in intelligence and loved to have a contrarian opinion on everything, including pedophilia(effectively making him a pedo enabler)

If he made you feel stupid, it might be because you are.

Vertigo

« Reply #9009 on: October 23, 2017, 12:56:59 PM »
I want chaos to reign lol. Gaf comes back on, the flock don't know what to do so they go back, ResetEra to bomb hard. Leaving Besada and all the bad mods with no where to go, they try to go back to GAF, catch an IP ban! 🤣🤣 Let chaos reign

This is probably whats going to happen.

A 'relaunch' with the news that came out this weekend many don't see that EL did anything wrong. His still a massive creep. But rapist etc is over the edge.

Now all the old mods are flushed out and many are now unable to go back. People like Besada perm banned.

Slayven and the dog piling squad etc flying in the wind. A refocus on games and putting the off topic stuff to the side could see him get a lot of people who don't give a shit about anything else back. 

From glancing around people just want their familiar game news aggregate back.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #9010 on: October 23, 2017, 12:57:23 PM »
Will the guy with all the Natalie Portman pictures be joining us?
SGT Hudson was it? lol
I thought Astrolad was the one truly obsessed, but that might have been something else
come on Slaent

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #9011 on: October 23, 2017, 12:57:32 PM »
 :kobeyuck
:9

benjipwns

« Reply #9012 on: October 23, 2017, 12:58:41 PM »
shinobi602
Greetings friends! So…wild night? A lot things are happening behind the scenes right now. Just wanted to share that myself, @nibel and @ZhugeEX will hold administrative roles in ResetEra if all goes well. I agreed to play a part in all of this because while things were a little shaky in the past, this can be a fresh start for everyone and we can shape the community, positively, going forward. Stay tuned! heart

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #9013 on: October 23, 2017, 12:58:55 PM »
https://m.facebook.com/DudebroMSIFUSIGTS.SY2/posts/10155373149898071

Dudebro II disassociating from GAF.
Lore is getting more real blowback than Trump :neogaf
ὕβρις

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #9014 on: October 23, 2017, 12:58:59 PM »
This incident made me think of this scene.

GSG Flash

« Reply #9015 on: October 23, 2017, 12:59:04 PM »
Didn't like Opiate at all, he was one of those guys that thought that he was a step above everyone in intelligence and loved to have a contrarian opinion on everything, including pedophilia(effectively making him a pedo enabler)

If he made you feel stupid, it might be because you are.

lol ok there Opiate  ::)

Thankfully I never engaged with him on any discussion, but all of his posts had that stench of arrogance and elitism(much like everything EL posted)

Deavl

« Reply #9016 on: October 23, 2017, 12:59:11 PM »

Yeah there was a Flickr account with some really weird pictures of kids modeling in it that had a username that linked back to Opiate. He came in here yesterday and said he's never even visited Flickr. If I was into diddling kids, I know I wouldn't use Flickr of all places to store my pics.

Honestly, after Amirox i can't imagine "current" and previous mods not being looked into and Opiate is still free...

Swollen Bowels

« Reply #9017 on: October 23, 2017, 12:59:18 PM »
Looks like GAF is coming back up, so if you could all form a que to the left (get it?) and exit in a safe manner. Nice seeing y'all.

As it should. The furor over what EL was accused is ridiculously overblown, so much so that I'm shocked he took the site down. Most GAF members are either indifferent to the accusation or felt it was an innoccously untoward act committed by someone naively unclear on how to conduct themselves in that kind of sexually charged situation. They just want their forum back.

You mean they want their echo-chamber back where they don't want their opinions challenged.

First, is there something inherently wrong with an "echo chamber"? Is there a problem fostering a community where rank bigotry was deem unacceptable and forbidden? Also, can you give me some examples of valid opinions that GAF refused the expression of? Or, what opinions on GAF were deemed above reproach and undeserving of challenge?

benjipwns

« Reply #9018 on: October 23, 2017, 01:00:20 PM »

i don't know how to get back to the thread page from this link

or how to log back out

:lol

gfm793

« Reply #9019 on: October 23, 2017, 01:00:22 PM »

Moderation in this age of Trump, whose presidency has given rise to open and unapologetic affinity for fascism, is no different than collaboration. You cannot be a moderate in an environment where people go on social media, with their identities exposed, and gladly express vile and hateful views that were once relegated to the fringes of public opinion (yes, they've always existed in the shadows, but their open expression would always be met with swift and penalizing rebuke). Many moderate Germans believed their Jewish friends would face little persecution under Hitler's regime. Funny how that turned out.

LOL!!!! This is great! People are extreme assholes so I will be an extreme asshole! Essentially the political equivalent of "he started it!!!" which to be fair is a common argument on both sides.

tummyfat

« Reply #9020 on: October 23, 2017, 01:00:55 PM »
Looks like GAF is coming back up, so if you could all form a que to the left (get it?) and exit in a safe manner. Nice seeing y'all.

As it should. The furor over what EL was accused is ridiculously overblown, so much so that I'm shocked he took the site down. Most GAF members are either indifferent to the accusation or felt it was an innoccously untoward act committed by someone naively unclear on how to conduct themselves in that kind of sexually charged situation. They just want their forum back.

You mean they want their echo-chamber back where they don't want their opinions challenged.

First, is there something inherently wrong with an "echo chamber"? Is there a problem fostering a community where rank bigotry was deem unacceptable and forbidden? Also, can you give me some examples of valid opinions that GAF refused the expression of? Or, what opinions on GAF were deemed above reproach and undeserving of challenge?

:larry

Swollen Bowels

« Reply #9021 on: October 23, 2017, 01:00:57 PM »

First, is there something inherently wrong with an "echo chamber"? Is there a problem fostering a community where rank bigotry was deem unacceptable and forbidden? Also, can you give me some examples of valid and thoughtfully put opinions that GAF refused the expression of?

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #9022 on: October 23, 2017, 01:01:21 PM »
I hope the proud #gamer isn't too proud about it in resetera.

In the last years since GG, there was a narrative in Neogaf, that being a #gamer is the equivalent of the white male rapist racist. There was always several posters in neogaf threads that decried gamers and were ashamed to be gamers when someone was harassed or an individual who played games did something bad.

I think it was that GG - and other gaming-oriented controversies since then - showed that this hobby we might have once thought would unite and remove us from the ugliness of life was just as tainted as what we were trying to escape. It proved that many of the people behind the games we enjoy harbor some very dark beliefs that made it very difficult to separate from our enjoyment of this pastime. It's too bad that the vast majority of the people expressing those ugly views are white males. Maybe that's a problem that should be addressed?

HAH! This right here is why GAF was shit. You're joking though, right?

No, I'm very serious and speak from experience, remembering conversations I had with many minority members of the gaming community who were absolutely stunned that the ranks of their hobby included the dregs of society. We always knew that there were racists among us, as any time playing [insert your favorite multiplayer title of the last decade] could demonstrate. But, there was a feeling that the creators were above that, men who were educated enough to reject such prejudices.

First off: multiplayer "banter" has always been shit. this should come as no surprise. Mute that shit like every other normal person.

Second: Games are made by a swath of talented people who have all sorts of beliefs and ideologies. The fact that you thought that creators were some sort of enlightened class and not just regular men and women makes you and others complete morons. You have a very shallow view of the real world.

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #9023 on: October 23, 2017, 01:01:41 PM »
Why would you give a moderator position to a massive company shill?  ???

No one even said anything particularly shitty to him, he just threw a tantrum due to people pointing out the bias and left.

EightBitNate

« Reply #9024 on: October 23, 2017, 01:02:12 PM »
I seen your posts at TheBore.

You fit right in there with those alt-lite losers.

You, of all people, calling Evilore a creep like you didn't do the five knuckle shuffle around you sister is one thing, but decrying virtue signalling, lmao, are you intentionally trying to keep with tradition of right wing losers projection their bullshit on others? Y'all Bore mongols are lepers playing judge at a beauty pageant. FOH.

diamount

« Reply #9025 on: October 23, 2017, 01:02:31 PM »

Don't be coy. Even slightly professing that some of Trump's policies had some validity or calling out obvious wrongdoings from professional victims led to the banhammer.

Swollen Bowels

« Reply #9026 on: October 23, 2017, 01:03:30 PM »
I hope the proud #gamer isn't too proud about it in resetera.

In the last years since GG, there was a narrative in Neogaf, that being a #gamer is the equivalent of the white male rapist racist. There was always several posters in neogaf threads that decried gamers and were ashamed to be gamers when someone was harassed or an individual who played games did something bad.

I think it was that GG - and other gaming-oriented controversies since then - showed that this hobby we might have once thought would unite and remove us from the ugliness of life was just as tainted as what we were trying to escape. It proved that many of the people behind the games we enjoy harbor some very dark beliefs that made it very difficult to separate from our enjoyment of this pastime. It's too bad that the vast majority of the people expressing those ugly views are white males. Maybe that's a problem that should be addressed?

Trump becomes president = better double down with the evil white boogeyman rhetoric.  Rabid communist website eats its own = better double down with the evil white boogeyman rhetoric.  Whoever you are, please stop smelling your farts all day, and step back into reality.  If you do, you may just find a game you enjoy playing more than passing out victim cards.

Trump didn't win the white male and female vote? And GAF is rabidly communist?  ::)

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #9027 on: October 23, 2017, 01:03:40 PM »

i don't know how to get back to the thread page from this link

or how to log back out

:lol
This has been pissing me off about all the slaent links. You just can't jump back to the thread, you have to flip the page, then turn it back and Ctrl+F the post. Fucking what.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #9028 on: October 23, 2017, 01:04:43 PM »
Swollen Bowels worst addition. And we had Opiate and IrishNinja coming in. :hhh
ὕβρις

Deavl

« Reply #9029 on: October 23, 2017, 01:04:48 PM »
Honestly, first step to a new and improved gaf would be to ban almost everyone who used to hang around in the BCT thread, or at least keep 'em on a short leash.

nudemacusers

« Reply #9030 on: October 23, 2017, 01:04:58 PM »
https://m.facebook.com/DudebroMSIFUSIGTS.SY2/posts/10155373149898071

Dudebro II disassociating from GAF.
Lore is getting more real blowback than Trump :neogaf
Well it’s release date was tied to gaf 2.0 so it makes sense to untangle it
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

tummyfat

« Reply #9031 on: October 23, 2017, 01:05:19 PM »
Emily Rogers is going to be admin, along with SweetNicole/Patticakes who is a trans bi woman with a lesbian partner.

That Polygon article did work

Vertigo

« Reply #9032 on: October 23, 2017, 01:05:34 PM »

An echo chamber is wrong in the case of Gaf as actual real discussion was frowned upon unless you were on the 'right' page with the loudest voices in those threads.

Look many of us are open minded fair people but here's the difference we don't thrown our toys out the pram if someone challenges our world or political thinking.

There used to be a time on Gaf where people of different political persuasions could actually discuss back and forth their thoughts and ideas in POLIgaf and leave maybe a bit more changed and knowledgeable on their worldview.

Gaf became a place where some very strange people gathered who wanted any reality to be crushed and refocused to only how they saw the world.

That creates a place as we saw where reality is not welcome. and the hunt for true 'purity' leads to everyone knifing each other in the back.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal

Dougstyles

« Reply #9034 on: October 23, 2017, 01:07:35 PM »
Honestly, first step to a new and improved gaf would be to ban almost everyone who used to hang around in the BCT thread, or at least keep 'em on a short leash.

Whoa there David Duke. :holeup
~Afu

Himu

« Reply #9035 on: October 23, 2017, 01:07:41 PM »
This is boring now. Now all we got is snipes between us and that wack site Slaent. Time to wrap it up I guess. Was a fun, lazy weekend.
IYKYK

Rocky

« Reply #9036 on: October 23, 2017, 01:07:44 PM »
imagine if the shower things happened to someone else in a different age. dorky website owner gets the wrong impression from the hot babe using him for a free trip to vegas, she heads into the bathroom he misreads all her nauseous signals from love drunk come ons. he thinks he's the fucking don and has a five minute scene infront of the mirror geeing himself up, breaking out the aftershave he stole from his dad before awkwardly slipping himself into the shower - babe turns around and screams, he fumbles for a towel to cover his raging 4" bone and runs down and out with his bare ass in the breeze through the hotel lobby into the bushes to the tune of superman by goldfinger.

role titles.

She's not really that hot tho...

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #9037 on: October 23, 2017, 01:07:46 PM »
Looks like things are finally slowing down. Good, good.

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #9038 on: October 23, 2017, 01:08:05 PM »
I'm not getting errors anymore, but the board links are down. Is this new?
Unzip

Deavl

« Reply #9039 on: October 23, 2017, 01:08:19 PM »
I mean it was.  And now it's dead. 

Like most things under Communism

etiolate

« Reply #9040 on: October 23, 2017, 01:08:37 PM »
Slaent seems to have absorbed some of the worst from GAF

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #9041 on: October 23, 2017, 01:08:38 PM »
As a long time lurker, both here and NeoGAF (500 some posts since 2004 and 1 post here since 2006), I'd like to thank fistfull for summing up my thoughts on what people like me used GAF for. Reading reactions and viewing fast moving threads as a good way to pass the time. I'll miss it.
When you get used to it, reddit is so much better.

EightBitNate

« Reply #9042 on: October 23, 2017, 01:10:01 PM »

Been like that all morning.

Himu

« Reply #9043 on: October 23, 2017, 01:10:22 PM »

Go to Reddit like a normie?

Good. :rejoice
IYKYK

CrankyJay

« Reply #9044 on: October 23, 2017, 01:11:11 PM »
Wait, it did? I didn't know this, lol

You missed it?  Once people had realized that the moderation staff had given up on trying to contain the news/rebellion, whenever somebody asked what was going on a trio of images got spammed.  The first was the Facebook capture, the second was the Spanish groping tale, and the third was your final post on NeoGAF with the Turkey story (http://i.imgur.com/OxCiCJS.png).

OpinionatedCyborg was throwing it up all over the place.

Wait, Jay got permed for proving Tyler was lying, with documentation? The fuck?

The very same thing amir0x was demodded for, lol

Deavl

« Reply #9045 on: October 23, 2017, 01:11:24 PM »

Whoa there David Duke. :holeup

Honestly, i wasn't thinking about the implications you're catching there.

oops?

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #9046 on: October 23, 2017, 01:11:31 PM »

It's kind of sad. The people running it are mostly chill people, and are trying to control the fucking dumpster fire that is the gaf refugees.

goat

« Reply #9047 on: October 23, 2017, 01:11:38 PM »
When you get used to it, reddit is so much better.

Oh, I use reddit, I just prefer that classic "forum" look. I'm just turning into old man yelling at clouds.

benjipwns

« Reply #9048 on: October 23, 2017, 01:11:40 PM »
If you're on mobile that's what GAF shows when it has the maintenance message up.

All of the forums are accessible by going around the domains to the cdn: http://assets.neogafllc.netdna-cdn.com/forum/index.php

ModernBoxes

« Reply #9049 on: October 23, 2017, 01:12:09 PM »
imagine if the shower things happened to someone else in a different age. dorky website owner gets the wrong impression from the hot babe using him for a free trip to vegas, she heads into the bathroom he misreads all her nauseous signals from love drunk come ons. he thinks he's the fucking don and has a five minute scene infront of the mirror geeing himself up, breaking out the aftershave he stole from his dad before awkwardly slipping himself into the shower - babe turns around and screams, he fumbles for a towel to cover his raging 4" bone and runs down and out with his bare ass in the breeze through the hotel lobby into the bushes to the tune of superman by goldfinger.

role titles.

She's not really that hot tho...

Mods

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #9050 on: October 23, 2017, 01:12:17 PM »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #9051 on: October 23, 2017, 01:12:24 PM »
Angelus Error says he's been offered a mod position at ResetEra.

:usacry
ὕβρις

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #9052 on: October 23, 2017, 01:12:51 PM »

Been like that all morning.

The statement better be worth it. I'm talking "I checked myself into a rehab, I donated money to feminist groups, I changed my name to Erykah Badu" levels.
Unzip

kingv

« Reply #9053 on: October 23, 2017, 01:13:05 PM »

GAF banned a lot more than rank bigotry.

There is a huge difference between nazism and politely suggesting that Nintendo was in the right for firing someone who is moonlighting as a prostitute.

Mortimer Brewster

« Reply #9054 on: October 23, 2017, 01:13:07 PM »

Where ever BCT and Lime goes, bad shit follows.

benjipwns

« Reply #9055 on: October 23, 2017, 01:13:09 PM »
Angelus Errare

Oh damn, I just got offered to be a mod on ResetEra…that's uh different.

EightBitNate

« Reply #9056 on: October 23, 2017, 01:14:01 PM »
Angelus Errare

Oh damn, I just got offered to be a mod on ResetEra…that's uh different.

Apparently he was only kidding.

Deavl

« Reply #9057 on: October 23, 2017, 01:14:02 PM »
Angelus Error says he's been offered a mod position at ResetEra.

:usacry
I never had the pleasure of knowing this Angelus bloke, but isn't he the extremely racist crazy person who Besada gave a free pass to abuse others?

I ask because apparently he's going to be a mod at ResetERA.

Might as well mod Slayven, lime and the bunch

Chim Richalds

• Professional Doctor

etiolate

« Reply #9059 on: October 23, 2017, 01:14:06 PM »

It's kind of sad. The people running it are mostly chill people, and are trying to control the fucking dumpster fire that is the gaf refugees.

They try to appear chill but they really aren't. Behave like GAF too much and I imagine that's why they're getting the bad eggs.