Author Topic: The Other Forums Thread for 90's Kids ONLY  (Read 2148029 times)

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #3960 on: November 22, 2017, 12:07:43 AM »
I love that whole episode long bit on Curb where Larry gets offended whenever someone calls George's character a klutz because he based it on himself.
每天生气

agrajag

Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #3961 on: November 22, 2017, 12:08:54 AM »
COMEDIAN WAS WARNED FOR PROMOTING VIOLENCE

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #3962 on: November 22, 2017, 12:09:37 AM »
Just clicked- I did enjoy Ali Wong's Baby Cobra special on Netflix a lot. She had me laughing pretty good. Much props to the little asian woman.

Her delivery is good.

Himu

« Reply #3963 on: November 22, 2017, 12:10:09 AM »
No way is Elaine below Kramer.

George > Elaine > Jerry = Kramer

Jerry is underrated. Elaine's character nose dives in later seasons where she's just a thot. George is the GOAT of course.

I don't get why people think Jerry isn't funny.

IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #3964 on: November 22, 2017, 12:12:37 AM »
Jerry is hilarious. But he's lesser than the other characters. For me it's because he's like the snide winner shooting quips at everybody, whereas George is a psychopathic loser that hatches ridiculous schemes that usually backfire on him in a hilarious fashion. Jerry rarely ever suffers any consequences.

Himu

« Reply #3965 on: November 22, 2017, 12:14:16 AM »

:rofl
IYKYK

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #3966 on: November 22, 2017, 12:14:30 AM »
The plot where Elaine fakes being a janitor to get Chinese delivery would have been like a Kramer or maybe George plot in season three.

shosta

« Reply #3967 on: November 22, 2017, 12:16:46 AM »

SO WHAT, I'M A SCHMUCK FOR BEING IN A MASTURBATION CONTEST?
每天生气

benjipwns

« Reply #3968 on: November 22, 2017, 12:16:51 AM »
 :rofl at this video, it being the episode isn't even the most important thing at this point:

agrajag

« Reply #3969 on: November 22, 2017, 12:18:56 AM »
The plot where Elaine fakes being a janitor to get Chinese delivery would have been like a Kramer or maybe George plot in season three.

The show started becoming more and more absurd as the seasons progressed. Remember the episode where Franklin Delano Romanowski wished that Kramer would drop dead for his birthday, and Kramer tried to coerce Newman to use his birthday wish to protect him?  :lol

agrajag

« Reply #3970 on: November 22, 2017, 12:19:43 AM »
this thread is so much better when we talk about Seinfeld and Novid isn't posting incomprehensible shit about psy-ops and God and prostitutes

agrajag

« Reply #3971 on: November 22, 2017, 12:20:47 AM »

he's holding a fucking banana too, what a nice touch!   :lol

benjipwns

« Reply #3972 on: November 22, 2017, 12:22:59 AM »
I love that whole episode long bit on Curb where Larry gets offended whenever someone calls George's character a klutz because he based it on himself.
That goes back to an actual conversation they had:
As the show progressed, Alexander discovered that the character was based on David. As Alexander explains in an interview for the Seinfeld DVD, during an early conversation with David, Alexander questioned a script, saying, "This could never happen to anyone, and even if it did, no human being would react like this." David replied, "What do you mean? This happened to me once, and this is exactly how I reacted."

Himu

« Reply #3973 on: November 22, 2017, 12:25:11 AM »
I could talk about Seinfeld all day. Fuck gaf. Fuck reset. Seinfeld!

IYKYK

shosta

« Reply #3974 on: November 22, 2017, 12:28:49 AM »
That goes back to an actual conversation they had:
As the show progressed, Alexander discovered that the character was based on David. As Alexander explains in an interview for the Seinfeld DVD, during an early conversation with David, Alexander questioned a script, saying, "This could never happen to anyone, and even if it did, no human being would react like this." David replied, "What do you mean? This happened to me once, and this is exactly how I reacted."
Lol you're kidding. Larry David is such a card.
每天生气

agrajag

USER WAS WARNED FOR RACIAL HUMOR WHEN THERE'S A LITERAL NAZI IN THE WHITE HOUSE
« Reply #3975 on: November 22, 2017, 12:32:02 AM »

George tries to befriend black people to impress his boss

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #3976 on: November 22, 2017, 12:33:27 AM »
this thread is so much better when we talk about Seinfeld and Novid isn't posting incomprehensible shit about psy-ops and God and prostitutes
I want to see a Dark Nights Metal one shot by Novid :lawd

agrajag

George tries to befriend black people to impress his boss

I love how it references the family whose house he crashed to watch Breakfast at Tiffany's to fool his book club into thinking he read the book. Dat Seinfeld lore  :lawd

Himu

« Reply #3978 on: November 22, 2017, 12:35:47 AM »
Remember the time Elaine date a mixed guy and she thinks she's latino?

This is missing the best lines in the episode, though. :(

IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #3979 on: November 22, 2017, 12:37:30 AM »
Don't forget, George later got Mr. Morgan fired and acquired his job:

Himu

« Reply #3980 on: November 22, 2017, 12:37:50 AM »
This episode is so amazing.

The massage :lol
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #3981 on: November 22, 2017, 12:38:20 AM »
I have a fetish for George trying to get new nicknames at the office

Notice the brilliance of Jason Alexander. When he brings Coco to the office, George feigns surprise with bad acting. Takes a real master of the craft to purposely act badly.

"Maybe there should be a Gammy"  :lol

Kruger was an underrated character as well.

Himu

« Reply #3982 on: November 22, 2017, 12:40:58 AM »
My favorite Seinfeld side character is Bubble Boy if Frank Costanza doesn't count.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #3983 on: November 22, 2017, 12:42:03 AM »
My favorite Seinfeld side character is Bubble Boy if Frank Costanza doesn't count.

I was legit pissed when that Jake Gyllenhall movie ripped that off. I guess I had a sort of a fanboyism going on when I was a teenager.

agrajag

« Reply #3984 on: November 22, 2017, 12:43:56 AM »
Uncle Leo is underrated.

benjipwns

« Reply #3985 on: November 22, 2017, 12:44:40 AM »
Kruger was an underrated character as well.

shosta

« Reply #3986 on: November 22, 2017, 12:45:23 AM »
Wow that's a blast from the past. It's been so long since I've seen that movie that I actually forgot it was Jake Gyllenhaal in it. No disrespect, though, Jake actually tops my list of most underrated actors.
每天生气

Himu

« Reply #3987 on: November 22, 2017, 12:45:53 AM »
The Moops!

Bubble Boy is my go to suggestion for anyone trying to get into Seinfeld. That or The Limo. The story is self contained, has build up, doesn't require past character knowledge, and is just straight up laugh after laugh. If you cannot enjoy Seinfeld after watching Bubble Boy, The Limo, or The Contest, all hope is lost and you should feel bad.

What Jake G. movie was this? How did they rip off Bubble Boy?
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #3988 on: November 22, 2017, 12:46:40 AM »

Lloyd  :rejoice

benjipwns

Himu

« Reply #3990 on: November 22, 2017, 12:48:41 AM »
Elaine's roommate is underrated.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #3991 on: November 22, 2017, 12:48:46 AM »
The Moops!

Bubble Boy is my go to suggestion for anyone trying to get into Seinfeld. That or The Limo. The story is self contained, has build up, doesn't require past character knowledge, and is just straight up laugh after laugh. If you cannot enjoy Seinfeld after watching Bubble Boy, The Limo, or The Contest, all hope is lost and you should feel bad.

What Jake G. movie was this? How did they rip off Bubble Boy?

agrajag

« Reply #3992 on: November 22, 2017, 12:50:41 AM »
That poster with two terrible pun taglines  :lol

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm starting to feel like Benji with the multiple self-referential shitposts. I guess I'm the Jake Gyllenhall to Benji's Bubble Boy
[close]

Himu

« Reply #3993 on: November 22, 2017, 12:50:48 AM »
Does he have god like knowledge of trivial pursuit tho
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #3994 on: November 22, 2017, 12:54:10 AM »
Several years back I was perusing a local Barnes & Noble and I bought this

I never got around farther than flipping through it, and it's sitting on a shelf somewhere. It's one of those exploitative books that will take any popular subject and starts drawing parallels between episode plots and Carl Jung and stuff.

Himu

« Reply #3995 on: November 22, 2017, 12:59:05 AM »
I hate those books. Like, Seinfeld is a art exhibit of modern life, and one of the rare tv shows to capture a time, era, and place but like, philosophy? Does it really posit that the show is about "nothing"? Or does it - correctly, I might add - argue that it's about about the minutiae, rules, and analysis of everyday human social norms and banter?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 01:03:45 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #3996 on: November 22, 2017, 01:01:01 AM »
God, I need to rewatch the Subway NOW. The physical comedy in the intro of this bit is unmatched. How do you do that scene without dying of laughter?

IYKYK

shosta

« Reply #3997 on: November 22, 2017, 01:06:53 AM »
I'm going to make a controversial claim. Curb Your Enthusiasm is funnier than Seinfeld, and it's funnier because Larry was the guy who made Seinfeld funny and Jerry wasn't.
每天生气

agrajag

« Reply #3998 on: November 22, 2017, 01:08:59 AM »
I hate those books. Like, Seinfeld is a modern art exhibit of modern life, and one of the rare tv shows to capture a time, era, and place but like, philosophy? Does it really posit that the show is about "nothing"? Or does it - correctly, I might add - argue that it's about about the minutiae, rules, and analysis of everyday human social norms and banter?

It's a loose collection of essays by random (probably gradschool philosophy majors) authors, most of them trying to analyze the characters, their traits and motivations within the framework of major philosophical works. A lot of it is pretty interesting actually, and even insightful, even though you can't escape the prevailing feeling that "these guys are just trying to cash in on a popular TV show." And of course most of it feels like a major stretch. Here's an excerpt:

Kramer does not seem to participate in virtue ethics either. He lives so far outside the rest of the culture that, despite his friendship with Jerry and the others, he cannot take advantage of the social dialectic which helps produce virtue. He is more a figure of the Sartrean self-made self. On Aristotle's account the virtuous soul requires interaction with other virtuous souls for its development. The price Kramer pays is that he ends up friends with Newman, and even FDR (Franklin Delano Romanowski), who tries to kill him.

Virtue ethics, book was ahead of its time! I disagree with the above premise however. As evidenced in the above clip, Kramer was virtue signaling hard by trying to make Lloyd Braun feel normal by forcing the Chinese gum on Jerry and eating the 70-year-old hot dog. Maybe that was genuine altruism though, which is at odds with the series' finale which concluded that all the main characters are irredeemable sociopaths.

Himu

« Reply #3999 on: November 22, 2017, 01:15:08 AM »
I'm going to make a controversial claim. Curb Your Enthusiasm is funnier than Seinfeld, and it's funnier because Larry was the guy who made Seinfeld funny and Jerry wasn't.

:beli

There was more to Seinfeld than just Larry and the show was still funny after Larry even left.

Curb and Seinfeld are practically the same thing with literally the same type of humor except Curb has cussing. Curb is more inconsistent than Seinfeld imo as it sometimes goes too much into the Larry characters neuroses. It lacks the storytelling of Seinfeld for me. I mean, I like Curb, but it never clicks with me how Seinfeld does. I think Seinfeld in the end is the far funnier show.

And I have to say that most Curb fans who say it's soooo much better than Seinfeld always sound fucking stupid. I remember a thread on gaf where some no taste kid complained about how "unfunny" Seinfeld is, while harping about the comedy merits of Curb when they have the same exact style of comedy. It really isn't a controversial opinion, at least, not on the internet. Lots of HBO fans can't stop needlessly comparing Curb to Seinfeld and rubbing it in Seinfeld fans faces when pretty much all of us are fans of Curb.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #4000 on: November 22, 2017, 01:16:42 AM »
There's 112 books in that series:
http://www.opencourtbooks.com/categories/pcp.htm

Forthcoming Titles: 2017 and Beyond

Community and Philosophy (2017)
Lady Gaga and Philosophy (2017)
Jimi Hendrix and Philosophy edited by Theodore G. Ammon (Fall 2017)
Twin Peaks and Philosophy edited by Richard Greene and Rachel Robison-Greene (2018)
American Horror Story and Philosophy edited by Richard Greene and Rachel Robison-Greene (2018)
Scott Adams and Philosophy edited by Daniel Yim, Galen Foresman, and Robert Arp (2018)
1984 and Philosophy edited by Ezio Di Nucci and Stefan Storrie (2018)
Iron Man versus Captain America and Philosophy edited by Nicolas Michaud and Jessica Watkins (2018)
The Dark Tower and Philosophy edited by Nicolas Michaud and Jacob Thomas May (2018)
Amy Schumer and Philosophy edited by Charlene Elsby and Rob Luzecky (2018)
The Twilight Zone and Philosophy edited by Heather L. Rivera and Alexander E. Hooke (2018)
Westworld and Philosophy edited by Richard Greene and Joshua Heter (2018)
The Handmaid's Tale and Philosophy edited by Rachel Robison-Greene (2018)
Rick and Morty and Philosophy edited by Wayne Yuen (2018)
Perry Mason and Philosophy edited by Heather Rivera and Robert Arp (2019)

Novid

« Reply #4001 on: November 22, 2017, 01:17:10 AM »
I want to see a Dark Nights Metal one shot by Novid :lawd
The series is damn amazing and could be a way to save the DCEU

Himu

« Reply #4002 on: November 22, 2017, 01:17:41 AM »
The Bore and Philosophy.

Meet your post-irony masters.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #4003 on: November 22, 2017, 01:17:43 AM »
I never got into Curb. Don't care really. The only sitcom I've gotten into since Seinfeld was Arrested Development iirc.

benjipwns

« Reply #4004 on: November 22, 2017, 01:17:52 AM »
It's Always Sunny and Philosophy edited by Roger Hunt and Robert Arp (2015)
wow way to not call it It's Always Sunny in Philosophy

Himu

« Reply #4005 on: November 22, 2017, 01:19:37 AM »
I never got into Curb. Don't care really. The only sitcom I've gotten into since Seinfeld was Arrested Development iirc.

I suggest giving it another shot.

It's fucking hilarious.

It's got the long form episodic story telling. It's got the story within a story within a story thing (although not as good imo). First season is pretty flat and episodes rely on cringe more than laughs but that's the show in general.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #4006 on: November 22, 2017, 01:21:08 AM »
There's 112 books in that series:
http://www.opencourtbooks.com/categories/pcp.htm

Forthcoming Titles: 2017 and Beyond

Community and Philosophy (2017)
Lady Gaga and Philosophy (2017)
Jimi Hendrix and Philosophy edited by Theodore G. Ammon (Fall 2017)
Twin Peaks and Philosophy edited by Richard Greene and Rachel Robison-Greene (2018)
American Horror Story and Philosophy edited by Richard Greene and Rachel Robison-Greene (2018)
Scott Adams and Philosophy edited by Daniel Yim, Galen Foresman, and Robert Arp (2018)
1984 and Philosophy edited by Ezio Di Nucci and Stefan Storrie (2018)
Iron Man versus Captain America and Philosophy edited by Nicolas Michaud and Jessica Watkins (2018)
The Dark Tower and Philosophy edited by Nicolas Michaud and Jacob Thomas May (2018)
Amy Schumer and Philosophy edited by Charlene Elsby and Rob Luzecky (2018)
The Twilight Zone and Philosophy edited by Heather L. Rivera and Alexander E. Hooke (2018)
Westworld and Philosophy edited by Richard Greene and Joshua Heter (2018)
The Handmaid's Tale and Philosophy edited by Rachel Robison-Greene (2018)
Rick and Morty and Philosophy edited by Wayne Yuen (2018)
Perry Mason and Philosophy edited by Heather Rivera and Robert Arp (2019)

I mean, some of the works actually make sense. 1984? Absolutely merits philosophical analysis. Twin Peaks is deeply rooted in Jung, Tibetan mysticism and such. Others are clearly opportunistic. Matrix has to be the subject of one of those books right? I remember back when the first movie came out, the official website had a whole section dedicated to philosophical essays inspired by the film and Plato's cave.

agrajag

« Reply #4007 on: November 22, 2017, 01:21:41 AM »
It's Always Sunny and Philosophy edited by Roger Hunt and Robert Arp (2015)
wow way to not call it It's Always Sunny in Philosophy

They're probably contractually obligated to stick with the "And" format

agrajag

« Reply #4008 on: November 22, 2017, 01:26:00 AM »

I suggest giving it another shot.

It's fucking hilarious.

It's got the long form episodic story telling. It's got the story within a story within a story thing (although not as good imo). First season is pretty flat and episodes rely on cringe more than laughs but that's the show in general.

Allow me to rephrase, it's not that I gave it a shot and didn't like it. It's just that when it was at its height of its popularity I had no access to HBO or fast internet access to bootleg it. So I just missed out on it.

I gotta say though, from that clip, it has that modern "reality show" sitcom type production to it as opposed to the more theatrical presentation of Seinfeld with the handheld camera and everything. Not really into that. It's funny though, because I totally act like Larry in that clip when I'm in lines at the store and such.

I'll end up marathoning it one of these days.

benjipwns

« Reply #4009 on: November 22, 2017, 01:29:11 AM »
Don't watch any of these, just watch the whole series, but I'm contractually obligated to just post a bunch of random clips excessively:

spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]

agrajag

« Reply #4010 on: November 22, 2017, 01:31:27 AM »
I've heard good things about Sunny as well, but I'm just kind of over sitcoms in general  :doge

benjipwns

« Reply #4011 on: November 22, 2017, 01:32:38 AM »
IMPOSSIBLE TO BE OVER THIS KIND OF QUALITY EMOTIONAL STORYTELLING

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #4012 on: November 22, 2017, 01:36:03 AM »

Jerry is underrated. Elaine's character nose dives in later seasons where she's just a thot. George is the GOAT of course.

No shade on Jerry. He’s a genius. As the only pro stand-up in the cast, it ended up being a brilliant idea to effectively cast himself as the straight man of the series.

Saw him live earlier this year and he was a ton of fun.
serge

agrajag

« Reply #4013 on: November 22, 2017, 01:36:37 AM »
Heh, cats those crazy animals

Himu

« Reply #4014 on: November 22, 2017, 01:40:01 AM »

No shade on Jerry. He’s a genius. As the only pro stand-up in the cast, it ended up being a brilliant idea to effectively cast himself as the straight man of the series.

Saw him live earlier this year and he was a ton of fun.

I mean Jerry the character, not the person. As a character I feel like he doesn't get his due compared George or Kramer. George I understand as he's the best sit-com character ever written, but Kramer? A lot of scenes just flat out don't work without Jerry. Kramer wouldn't be as funny if Jerry weren't there.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #4015 on: November 22, 2017, 01:42:06 AM »
Seinfeld -> NeoGAF.com like ten years ago
Always Sunny -> The Bore

:ohhh

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #4016 on: November 22, 2017, 01:45:21 AM »
https://www.avclub.com/rashida-jones-says-she-left-toy-story-4-because-of-prob-1820665934

I knew the Rashida Jones shit didn’t make sense. Why would Lasseter settle for the Buster Douglas that is Rashida when you are just one family tree node away from the Mike Tyson that is Peggy Lipton?
serge

Himu

« Reply #4017 on: November 22, 2017, 01:47:20 AM »
Rashida is so cool. I'd die if there were fucked up Hollywood rumors about her.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #4018 on: November 22, 2017, 01:47:36 AM »
Always Sunny -> The Bore

Big Bang Theory -> ResetERA

Novid

« Reply #4019 on: November 22, 2017, 01:50:51 AM »
Always Sunny -> The Bore

Big Bang Theory -> ResetERA
who then is rick and morty?